Of Knitted Felted Bags (And A Pair Of Red Boots)

Apr 9, 2007

I’m lucky enough that I get to see the originals of the lovely felted bags published in our Interweave publications: Nicky Epstein’s Floral Felted Bag is a knockout “in person” (Knits, Fall 2004);
Floral Felted Bag
Leigh Radford’s gorgeous embellished backpack (Piecework, Jan/Feb 05) was a delight to examine up close.

My personal favorite is Marta McCall’s Weekend Getaway Satchel (Knits, Fall 05), perhaps because I was the first one to unpack the swatch she sent us as the submission for that bag. I still remember gasping as I unwrapped that huge, colorful, beautifully made square of felted intarsia. It was stunning, and I knew right away that it was something special. I was assistant editor of Knits at that point, and my job was to open all the submissions and lay them out on the big conference room table, with the best submissions on one end and the submissions we were least likely to use at the other end. I moved several sweaters and submission folders out of the way to put Marta’s swatch at the very far end of the “best” end of the table, nearest the door, so it would be the first one that the senior editors saw when they came in the room.

As it turned out, we weren’t the only ones who loved that bag. Many, many of you wrote to tell us how much you loved it, too.

I have a big poster hanging in my cubicle of the magazine photo of that bag—the famous shot with the infamous Red Boots.
Weekend Getaway Satchel
Infamous, because when that issue came out, we were flooded with calls and emails from literally dozens of people, not about the bag, but about the boots! Everyone wanted to know where they could get those gorgeous red boots. It turned out that the photostylist had gotten them from a small European company (www.svenbeach.com), and I often wondered what the employees at that company thought when they started getting dozens of orders from America for their little red boots.

Not all felted bags have to be as fancy as Marta’s, of course. If you are looking for something a little less time-consuming, but with all the good clean fun of tossing your knitting into the washing machine, give Amanda’s Squatty Sidekick a try.

Comments

happycrab wrote
on Aug 2, 2009 6:04 AM

New to this site - can anyone tell me how and where I might obtain the patterns for the Floral Felted Bag and the Weekend Satchel?

bethc@2 wrote
on Dec 29, 2008 12:52 PM
I must have these patterns! Please, does anyone have them?
2Elle wrote
on Mar 17, 2008 9:49 PM
The bags with slotted handles can be found on this page. Go to the (About Interweave Press)tab, then select (Spin) and look at free patterns.
PattiC@2 wrote
on Feb 26, 2008 6:19 PM
Help! I noticed a woman in my local knitting shop with a interweave.com printout. She was buying yarn for a small bag with slot handles. I have searched to no avail. Is there help out there?
Marimoms8 wrote
on Oct 27, 2007 12:22 PM
A little late into the game but if anyone has the pattern for the Weekend Getaway Bag, I would be most grateful if you could send it to me. marimoms8@aol.com
DebraG wrote
on Sep 15, 2007 11:15 AM
I do also love this bag and wouldlike the pattern if anyone has it and would share it. Thanks debguddeck@msn.com
PaulineB wrote
on Aug 29, 2007 9:34 PM
I enjoyed reading this post and does anyone have that pattern you can send me of the large felted bag which was in 05.
Pauline
pbezette@gci.net
MarilynB wrote
on Aug 19, 2007 1:00 PM
I also fell in love with the photo of the Weekend Getaway Bag. But I'm making the bag because I already own bright red Wellingtons just like the boots in the picture. Who knew my walk-the-dog-on-rainy-days boots which sit in the garage would suddently become hot!
I also own the Israeli made clear plastic boots so one can show off handmade socks but that's another story.
LondonN wrote
on Jul 2, 2007 1:19 PM
oh, my gosh! i was one of those red boots fans who wrote to the mag. svenbeach sells all the european sven clogs out of their store in california. and i was on the phone with them just a day after your nice editor wrote me back with the info!!!
Teresa F wrote
on Jun 26, 2007 5:34 PM
I've been searching high and low and I cannot find my copy of the issue with the Weekend Satchel in it . . . and the issue is not listed for sale in back issues. That magazine is in this house somewhere, but where?
S.K wrote
on Jun 15, 2007 7:00 PM
I have the issue with the Getaway Satchel, but now the question is where can I find the pattern for the bag you pictured in THIS post called Floral Felted Bag?
JoezGal wrote
on Jun 14, 2007 12:39 PM
OMG! I don't remember Marta McCall's gorgeous Weekend Getaway Satchel, but you can bet your bottom dollar I'm going to dig out my fall IK and find it. I WANT THAT BAG!!!