Wee Cute Knitting

May 6, 2007

Free Baby Knitting Pattern Vine Lace Baby Hat

Lately, we've had a lot of pregnancies amongst the Interweavers, so there has been a frenzy of people knitting and crocheting wee cute things at meetings and in the lunchroom.

My own Wee Cute Knitting consisted of baby hats. I started with a pink hat sized for a preemie, just to get the pattern worked out. As it turns out, this pattern is pretty versatile: Knit it at the smaller gauge in pink for a frilly vintage look; or work it up at a larger gauge in a dark color for a more "skater-boy beanie" feel.

One of the tiny recipients, Isaac Berka, son of Amanda Berka (assistant editor of Spin-Off magazine), wore his hat to a photo shoot. Sure enough, the photo of Isaac-In-Hat ended up in the Spring 2007 issue of Spin-Off. The hat pattern was not in the magazine, because it was made out of store-bought yarn, not handspun. However, that issue had barely hit people's porches before we started getting requests for "the cute baby hat pattern." A few publishing magic tricks later, and voila!

The Vine Lace Baby Hat pattern is now available (exclusively) for Knitting Daily members in our free baby knitting patterns eBook collection: Download your copy today!

Amanda Berka and baby Isaac from Spin-Off Spring 2007

Sandi Wiseheart

Sandi Wiseheart is the founding editor of Knitting Daily.

Comments

Doodledaddy wrote
on Feb 27, 2013 6:49 AM

To ChristinaG ,   I know that these symbols can be confusing, as I am only a few months into knitting myself.  It seems to me that the (ssk)  is the one that is throwing you off  with your counting, if you are not doing that one right.  I'm assuming that you are just slipping those stitches and going on, and that would throw you off.  To ssk, you slip the first stitch as if to knit, slip the second as if to knit, then you slip them back onto the left needle and knit those two together. It's important that you slip as if to knit, because this puts a little twist in the stitches and makes it face the opposite direction from a K2tog.  I had trouble with this the first time I encountered it, and was ready to pull my hair out until I saw a demonstration of it done on youtube.  There are a LOT of good videos that show how to do these things that are really best learned by watching, and my list of knitting abbreviations came from  www.dummies.com and has really helped me out.  Just go to youtube and type in "Difference between K2tog and SSK and you will see exactly what I am talking about.  Hope this helps!

4children wrote
on Sep 10, 2011 5:01 AM

I finished my first top-down baby  jacket.  What I would like to know is how does the measurement underarm to bottom edge compare to the length of the sleeve (raglan) length from neck to widest part of sleeve.  What should the length from the underarm to the sleeve cuff be.  It seems to me that the sleeve from the underarm upto the edge of the cuff, the lenght is the same as for the bottom edge of the garment to the underarm and that the increments for the garment on the raglan front/back also corresponds with the lenght of the rest.  I do hope you understand my question and that you will be able to let me know.  Kind regards Karen

ChrisH@2 wrote
on Mar 31, 2008 2:10 PM
I am having trouble with peapod baby set. It says to work 1 ws row even to finishe botton rib chart, On sweater body. I am not sure shat that means thanks
Syedaq wrote
on Jan 5, 2008 10:09 AM
this is a nice hat and i hve made it
ChristinaG wrote
on Sep 27, 2007 8:30 AM
hi i dont know what i am doing wrong but i cant get this pattern to work out right i do knit1,yo,k2,ssk,(that is slip2,knit2together?),k2tog,k2,yo;and that does not come out to 9 sts,please help what am i doing wrong its driving me crazy
thanks christina
Shorner wrote
on Jul 28, 2007 4:14 PM
I am the happy grandmother of 12 now, and 13 in two more months. I made this hat for my newest grandbaby Ella, who arrived at 8:30 AM today. But my luck is never good. The last baby, born 3 months ago, had a head that measured 14.5" and this would have been perfect. But Ella arrived at 9 lbs, 9 oz with a head to match. She's wearing it now in the hospital, but it looks kind of like a strawberry sitting upside down on a basketball!

Suggestion: I don't know how you tell in advance, but since the hat is so easy, make two--one just like the pattern, and another one bigger. If the smaller one doesn't fit, it can go to charity; if the hat fits fine, then there'll be another to replace it as she/he grows!
Anonymous wrote
on Jun 14, 2007 9:34 PM
Am looking forward to making this adorable baby hat - haven't made it yet but will very soon