Sock Survey

Jun 4, 2007

Caspian Sea Socks

I'm noticing that the sock patterns on Knitting Daily are wildly popular--well, some of them, anyway. Judging from the download numbers, you loved the Caspian Sea Socks and the Diagonal Rib Socks, but the Comfy Socks are feeling teensy bit neglected.

This makes me curious to know: What kind of sock patterns do you want? I mean: I'm a knitting editor, you folks are knitters---let's put our heads together so we can come up
Comfy Socks
with some really great Knitting Daily sock patterns that all of you will love. If that sounds good to you, please fill out the very first Knitting Daily Sock Survey (voting has closed, sorry!). Here's your chance to tell us what kinds of sock patterns you want to see on Knitting Daily in the months ahead. I'll publish results in an upcoming newsletter, and then I'll start looking for the sock patterns of your dreams.

Great Free Sock Pattern eBook:
Knitting Socks with Knitting Daily:
5 Free Sock Knitting Patterns

Need a new sock knitting pattern? Want a great free sock pattern?
I've chosen five of our top sock knitting downloads and put them all together in one FREE ebook for you.

So what kind of sock patterns are in this eBook? Let's see. There's a knitted lace sock pattern, a cabled sock pattern, a colorwork sock pattern, a men's sock pattern, and an easy beginner sock pattern. Something for everyone!

Download Knitting Socks with Knitting Daily: 5 Free Sock Knitting Patterns

Comments

catherine47 wrote
on Dec 22, 2010 8:19 AM

Help is more like it.  I love knitting socks with varigated yarns.  But how the heck do you get two socks that look the same or does it  matter.  Most of the yarns I get is one ball and you can make one pair.  I have tried to match but I get two differnt socks with differnt strip patterns!

SheEweKnits wrote
on Apr 30, 2008 1:51 PM
Those of you who like toe up, or want to learn toe up socks, can find the BEST, easiest cast on for this method on the internet; called Judy's Magic Cast-On, it is the easiest and most useful I have ever seen. Cat Bordhi even recommends it. AND, her newest book, New Pathways for Sock Knitters , is full of toe up socks that are really unusual but great fitting. And definitely get rid of the heel flap! She also deals with breaking up the pooling and stuff with striping yarns. She's made videos of the casting on method, and many of the techniques in her new book, on YouTube, so you can watch as often as you like, which is very cool. Here's the link to the book and the video lessons: http://www.catbordhi.com/NP1.html Judy's Magic Cast On can be found on Judy's blog at http://www.persistentillusion.com , and she's got some pretty interesting reading, too... not all about socks, though. Hope this helps some of you.
I want more sock patterns that are out of the ordinary, because I am SICK of striping yarns. I want more textured patterns, and classic patterns, with more solid or semi-solid yarns, Fair Isle, etc.
YlkaO wrote
on Jan 8, 2008 12:42 PM
I want to make toe socks.
JenniferH wrote
on Nov 13, 2007 8:46 PM
While I love to spin hand-painted yarns, I love to knit w/ heathered or solids & do the colour in Fair Isle or other stranded technique.
Jennifer
JanetR@2 wrote
on Sep 24, 2007 10:32 PM
The Caspian Sea Socks are very difficult to get started. I can work the decreases as specified in practice yarn that is heavier, but I cannot seem to make them look pleasing in the sport weight yarn called for in pattern. Am I the only one having trouble?
BonniR wrote
on Aug 8, 2007 12:56 PM
While I love all the great sock patterns, I rarely knit socks top down; I invariably choose toe up patterns.
I wish there was a little ?logo? or ?symbol? in the legend for each pattern with a picture of toes pointed either up or down so I can know at a glance if I am going to have to alter the pattern to be toe up or if I can just print it and commence knitting.

Happy Knitting!
Bee
Rebecca@2 wrote
on Jul 24, 2007 6:34 AM
I have just learned to do a turkish cast on for a pair of socks knit on 1 pair of circular needles. Does anyone know of a pattern for socks from the TOE-UP? I'm anxious about the heel since I am going backwards.
LadyKRose wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 7:08 PM
I'd like to have a pattern for felted socks that I can wear as slippers and not worry about wearing out the sole so fast. And, I want something that comes up over the ankle for more warmth for mature feet. ;~)))
DianeH wrote
on Jul 11, 2007 7:34 AM
My favorite gauge is 6 sts. per inch using self striping or varigated yarn or an easy to follow aran pattern.dsh
DianeH wrote
on Jul 11, 2007 7:34 AM
DianeH wrote
on Jul 11, 2007 7:33 AM
BethY wrote
on Jul 6, 2007 5:42 PM
I have a pattern that helps you knit practically any sock, if you can take measurements of the person's foot you need the sock to fit.
The toe isn't my favorite. I just don't know how to take another toe and put it on this pattern.
I also would really like to have some nice patterns for kids' socks. The pattern here for baby socks is lovely, but my "babies" are now 10, 7 and 3. :)
UsborneBeth
EveG wrote
on Jul 4, 2007 2:05 PM
I would like to see some patterns that make good use of varigated or self striping yarns. There are so few patterns out there that can work with patterened colorways, and that's all I have available!
Littlefoot wrote
on Jul 3, 2007 6:09 PM
I'm with Alice on this one -- too coarse. I made my mother some slipper socks at a similar gauge (4 or 5 spi, IIRC), but she only wears them as bedsocks when she visits our colder climate. I prefer to make socks at 8-10 spi.

Anne S
Alice Twain wrote
on Jun 21, 2007 5:29 AM
I have got a theory on why the Comfy Socks were not that successful. It's called 8 mm needles. What is the use of socks knit at 3 stitches per inch? They can't fint into shoes and not even into home slippers, but at the same time they are still too thin to be worn as slippers at home by anyone who does not have carpets in each and every room (and outside the US that's the majority of us) and at the same time too warm to keep wearing them when your feet are not on the ground.

KarenT: just tug sharply the yarn after knitting the first and second stitch of each needle.
BonniR wrote
on Jun 17, 2007 11:53 AM
There are great sock knitting KALs (Knit A Longs) out there on the web. Try Yahoo groups and search for sock knitting. Also, knitty . com has great "how to" on socks toe up and top down. Happy knitting!
KirstiZ wrote
on Jun 15, 2007 1:49 PM
Karen T-
just knit your first stitch on each new needle extra tight- no ladders.
MargaM wrote
on Jun 15, 2007 10:45 AM
I am new at toes up and would love to have a simple howto pattern. Thank you
CatherineB wrote
on Jun 15, 2007 10:26 AM
When I knit socks, I trade stitches at the end of the dpn every three rows. It cuts down on some of the laddering and does not look bad.
KarenT@2 wrote
on Jun 15, 2007 9:51 AM
love knitting socks - just need a helpful hint about what to do to eliminate the laddering between needles. Thanks for your help. Karen
Melodybee wrote
on Jun 15, 2007 12:40 AM
That sounds perfect, I'd love to knit the same thing. I think both my daughters would love them for Christmas!
Kniterella@2 wrote
on Jun 14, 2007 10:20 PM
I would like some nice lacy cuff to toe ladies socks with beads and feathers attached to the top or little heart beads.
Plain heel flap and gusset to toe. thanks a bunch.
Maybe some socks with Opal self patt sock yarn in nice Fair Isle patts.
Kniterella
PerkinsL wrote
on Jun 14, 2007 6:35 PM
I want to know if you have easy instructions on doing socks from the toes and up to the cuff.