According to the Sock Survey, your perfect sock pattern would be:
Worked from the cuff down (70% of the votes);
- For a woman (46%);
- Designed in a textured (but not cabled) stitch pattern (22%);
- Worked on 5 dpns (37%); and
- Suitable for a variegated or handpainted yarn (36%).
To this, I say: Knitters, I thank you. My mission is clear. I must
bring you a textured, women's, cuff-down sock pattern worked in
handpainted yarn. So stay tuned!
Runners-up in each category:
- 30% of the votes went to toe-up socks--so these are much more popular than I thought!
- 26% of you knit socks for men. (Do we have enough sock patterns for
men, or do we need more? Never mind. That's a silly question. We always
- 26% like to knit socks on 4 dpns.
- 20% prefer two circulars.
- Lace socks and plain ribbed or stockinette stitch socks were tied
at 19% each. (Interesting sidebar: Despite the popularity of the
Caspian Sea Socks pattern, only 7% say you like to knit colorwork
socks. Maybe you like to download colorwork sock patterns for
- And last but-not-least: Solid yarn (26%) was just a bit behind self-striping (30%) yarn.
Alrighty, then. Let's see what I can come up with for all you sock fanatics.