Your Perfect Sock Pattern

Jun 6, 2007

According to the Sock Survey, your perfect sock pattern would be:

• Worked from the cuff down (70% of the votes);
  • For a woman (46%);
  • Designed in a textured (but not cabled) stitch pattern (22%);
  • Worked on 5 dpns (37%); and
  • Suitable for a variegated or handpainted yarn (36%).

To this, I say: Knitters, I thank you. My mission is clear. I must bring you a textured, women's, cuff-down sock pattern worked in handpainted yarn. So stay tuned!

Runners-up in each category:

• 30% of the votes went to toe-up socks--so these are much more popular than I thought!
  • 26% of you knit socks for men. (Do we have enough sock patterns for men, or do we need more? Never mind. That's a silly question. We always need more!)
  • 26% like to knit socks on 4 dpns.
  • 20% prefer two circulars.
  • Lace socks and plain ribbed or stockinette stitch socks were tied at 19% each. (Interesting sidebar: Despite the popularity of the Caspian Sea Socks pattern, only 7% say you like to knit colorwork socks. Maybe you like to download colorwork sock patterns for inspiration?)
  • And last but-not-least: Solid yarn (26%) was just a bit behind self-striping (30%) yarn.
  • Alrighty, then. Let's see what I can come up with for all you sock fanatics.

-- Sandi

Great Free Sock Pattern eBook:
Knitting Socks with Knitting Daily:
5 Free Sock Knitting Patterns

Need a new sock knitting pattern? Want a great free sock pattern?
I've chosen five of our top sock knitting downloads and put them all together in one FREE ebook for you.

So what kind of sock patterns are in this eBook? Let's see. There's a knitted lace sock pattern, a cabled sock pattern, a colorwork sock pattern, a men's sock pattern, and an easy beginner sock pattern. Something for everyone!

Download Knitting Socks with Knitting Daily: 5 Free Sock Knitting Patterns

Comments

on Jun 4, 2010 10:14 AM

I am from Puerto Rico and starting  to knit socks but I have  problem with the heel. Please help me.  I need a single instructions for the heel.  Thank you.   Rosita

Molly KM wrote
on Dec 18, 2007 3:36 AM
length and shoe size isn't everything in a sock - I have technically size 7 feet, but they're (I am always informed by shoe salespeople) oddly shaped, in that the arch is quite high, the heel is narrow and the toes are really quite wide. This means I have to be very careful when I knit a pair of socks - the most common problem I have found is that either the toe area is too narrow, or the heels flop and bunch. If I were Queen of Knitting for a day, I might command that the immense variation in shapes of feet be addressed in an article someday. Fitting feet with socks is easier than shoes, but it's still something that gives me pause every time I consider a new tricky pattern unless I know someone with that shape foot I feel like gifting.

I still read the patterns with great interest though, so all is not lost even if I can't figure out how to adapt it.
ClaireF wrote
on Aug 8, 2007 8:59 PM
I find published sock patterns to be very frustrating. They are mostly written for shoe size 7 or 8. I wear a size 10 shoe. My foot circumference is 10".I would love to see patterns with suggestions for resizing, such as the number of stitches in a repeat of the pattern. Thanks.
BonniR wrote
on Aug 8, 2007 12:57 PM
While I love all the great sock patterns, I rarely knit socks top down; I invariably choose toe up patterns.
I wish there was a little ?logo? or ?symbol? in the legend for each pattern with a picture of toes pointed either up or down so I can know at a glance if I am going to have to alter the pattern to be toe up or if I can just print it and commence knitting.

Happy Knitting!
Bee
Lordix wrote
on Jul 19, 2007 12:20 AM
I have never knitted socks because I don't seem to be able to handle double pointed needles, can you recommend a well illustrated sock pattern book, with large pictures to show detail
thanks
KathyM@5 wrote
on Jul 12, 2007 9:17 AM
Help! - I'm stumped. Can anyone tell me how to do the "eastern cast-on" using two strands of yarn, like on the Caspian Sea Sock? The "see the box" instructions doesn't really address that issue.
Thanks and Happy Knitting!
Storey_12 wrote
on Jul 12, 2007 9:06 AM
I love knitting socks.;-)
Now, I'd love to have a go at the Caspian Sea Socks but the pattern (especially the chart) brings up several questions I've had:
1. How do you read the chart?
2. How do you carry the colors when you only have a different colored motif in one spot on the cuff of the sock that doesn't carry around the entire cuff? For example: you have a red butterfly on a black sock. How do you carry the yarn for knitting the butterfly as you knit the cuff?
BeverlyR wrote
on Jun 27, 2007 10:43 AM
I do so wish that all sock patterns would include instructions for knitting with two circulars or the Magic Loop method. I loathe DPNS, especially when working with fine/fingerin weight yarns.
PattieM wrote
on Jun 26, 2007 12:18 PM
I have found that an elastic bind off for the cuff is the sewn bind off. IK frequently has it in their instructional pages.
on Jun 21, 2007 9:41 AM
I knit my socks on one long circular needle too. I do them two at a time from the toes up with short-row heels, so when I'm done, I'm done! This also eliminates grafting and creates a pair of socks that fit perfectly and are each made from one continuous piece of yarn.

I like to use a textured or lacy stitch for single color yarn, stockinette for self-striping, and some sort of lacy rib for handpainted to make the most of the color changes.

I would also like to see more on working short-row wraps as I am still struggling a bit with this.

Does anyone know a good bind off that is at least somewhat invisible (discreet) and fairly elastic?
LornaW wrote
on Jun 19, 2007 9:54 AM
The Caspian Sea Socks were fabulous! I've knitted three pairs already in different yarns and different colorways. When I wear mine I always get comments, and the two I gave away as gifts were received with "ooohs and aaahs".
ElizabethS wrote
on Jun 19, 2007 2:55 AM
I knit on one circular and love it, found two circulars too awkard and dont lose the needles ont he train wher I spend hours most days
Gauss wrote
on Jun 17, 2007 6:17 PM
Maybe they don't knit socks?
JennyH wrote
on Jun 17, 2007 6:06 AM
I love toe-up socks! They're so great for when you have that horrible "oh dear I don't think I have enough yarn" moment...because they become footies...

Just a question - what do the 17% of people who don't use circulars or dpns to knit socks use?
Gauss wrote
on Jun 15, 2007 11:34 AM
I've knitted the caspian sea socks pattern, and they turned out great.

AnnaM@2 wrote
on Jun 15, 2007 11:15 AM
I am working on my very first sock, just past the heel and working toward the toe. I am knitting a basic ribbed ankle sock and look forward to knitting a pair with some beautiful handpainted yarn I just picked up. I love the Caspian socks and look forward to expanding my sock knitting skills!
DorothyT wrote
on Jun 15, 2007 7:52 AM
Something is missing in your sock survey statement!

a woman (46%);
gned in a textured (but not cabled) stitch pattern (22%);
ed on 5 dpns (37%); and
able for a variegated or handpainted yarn (36%).
DorothyT wrote
on Jun 15, 2007 7:52 AM
Something is missing in your sock survey statement!

a woman (46%);
gned in a textured (but not cabled) stitch pattern (22%);
ed on 5 dpns (37%); and
able for a variegated or handpainted yarn (36%).
KarenH@3 wrote
on Jun 15, 2007 7:01 AM
I'm knitting a pair of socks on two pair of circular needles and I love it. I had a hard time with double pointed needles and they showed how to knit with the circulars and it's great and easy. I'm on my third sock... Have a great day everybody
ElizabethS wrote
on Jun 15, 2007 3:26 AM
how many people have knitted the capsian socks if we have all downloaded the pattern time to put our nedles where our printer is and knit then show what we have done, I havent I must admit but toomuch on the needles at present and not enough time whatever that is but have knittted colorwork patterns lets share
LeaJ wrote
on Jun 14, 2007 6:59 PM
Can you place more methods of short rows? I like the illustration seen here better than photos. And could you include illustrations for finishing up the short row wrap method? This is where I have problems; I manage to end up with holes!