Why The Comfy Socks Are Lonely

Jun 8, 2007

More than 300 of you wrote in to say why you thought the Comfy Socks were a bit lonely. The two factors mentioned most often were the bulky yarn/large gauge used in the pattern, and—surprisingly—the photograph.

The bulky yarn part made sense—most of you felt that these knitted socks wouldn't fit inside your shoes, and even if they did, they would be thick and thus decidedly Un-Comfy. I agree that these are really more around-the-house-socks than they are wear-inside-your-sneakers socks.

What surprised me was the overwhelming feedback about the photo—and how much detail you gave in your critiques. I cannot tell you how valuable those comments were to all of us here--so thanks to each and every one of you who wrote in.

Here's what we learned—and I say "we," because I am going to share your comments with the magazine and book editors here so we all can keep your feedback in mind at the next photoshoot!

What everyone pointed out was how "bunched up" the heel looked on the sock worn by our gentleman model. This made it look as though the sock did not fit well, particularly through the heel. And who wants to knit a sock that doesn't fit well?

You also noted that the photo was taken so far back that you couldn't really see any of the details of the sock; the colorful yarn, although pretty, also obscured what the sock looked like.

So: Better photos are a must, and a wider variety of yarns, gauges, and difficulty levels in sock patterns would be nice too. Thanks so much for the feedback!

-- Sandi

Great Free Sock Pattern eBook:
Knitting Socks with Knitting Daily:
5 Free Sock Knitting Patterns

Need a new sock knitting pattern? Want a great free sock pattern?
I've chosen five of our top sock knitting downloads and put them all together in one FREE ebook for you.

So what kind of sock patterns are in this eBook? Let's see. There's a knitted lace sock pattern, a cabled sock pattern, a colorwork sock pattern, a men's sock pattern, and an easy beginner sock pattern. Something for everyone!

Download Knitting Socks with Knitting Daily: 5 Free Sock Knitting Patterns

Comments

LadyOutlaw wrote
on Apr 21, 2008 5:03 PM
I really love this pattern.
I am sorry I cannot remember exactly how I changed the numbers vs yarn size at the moment, but I have now finished 9 pairs of these, from extremely thick handspun bloopy angora, to actual sock yarn, and the results were GREAT each time.
I have never had a bunchy heel from this pattern.
I have a set of index cards with my MUST have patterns, just the info I need, so others might drown trying to read them. CO 38 -- 1/2=19 -- foundation 13 --heel #s -- gusset decrease #s, -- estimate on length - toe decrease #s.
This small card is next to my fav chair, hanging on the lamp for whenever I need to glance up...
There are so many *challenging sock patterns* out in WWW for free, I was blessed to find a great pattern to have as my standard pattern.
CindyT wrote
on Jan 3, 2008 3:52 PM
I'm a new sock knitter and these socks are my favorite among the photos - I'm anxious to try them because I want warm, around-the-house socks.
DeniseW wrote
on Aug 3, 2007 11:01 PM
Katie M. is right about the heel-bunching: In the larger photograph of the socks, it was clear that the heel was caught on the bark of the tree. The other sock heel looked fine.

Suzan, it sounds like your sock might have turned itself inside-out early on. Check to see if you are knitting on the side of the round that is further from you. If that is the case, the simplest fix is to turn the sock rightside-out just as you would with one that turned inside-out in the laundry.
SuzanA wrote
on Jul 30, 2007 5:50 AM
i have been knitting for 2 yrs and thought i was ready for socks but i have been having several problem my right side is on the inside how can i fix that? is there someone here that can help me or is there another site i need to go to? thank you
Ai-LingK wrote
on Jul 24, 2007 2:37 AM
I am knitting this at the moment with wrong needle sizes (4.5mm) and wrong yarn specified in the pattern. So i've doubled up on the stitches and it looks great, albeit tiresome to knit. And i've only done one leg! I might just have to saw off my beloved's other leg. But I agree, it's not meant to be worn with shoes. Maybe for mooching around the house. Snug as a bug.
KatieM wrote
on Jul 6, 2007 3:09 PM
I think that the heel is bunched because it got stuck on the tree, not because it doesn't fit right. But they do look better for slippers than for socks.
BrendaW@2 wrote
on Jul 5, 2007 9:17 AM
I'm working on my fifth pair of comfys. My last pair I went up a size for sock -down to an 8 needle and to a strand of worsted and a strand of sport weight. THEY Feel SO GOOD. Now I put worsted with baby/ Almost finished with first sok-takes a good 90 minutes, Hey there are dishes and laundry-brenda
RebeccaA wrote
on Jun 21, 2007 5:00 PM
Regarding the "lonely" comfy socks - The pattern itself is not objectionable. We just already have simple basic workable sock patterns. Those of us who are already accomplished sock knitters need more of a challenge. The "comfy socks" seem to be a good basic, however, one that would be ideal for a beginner.
ErikaH wrote
on Jun 19, 2007 3:57 PM
I think the Comfy Socks have gained a bad reputation. Yes, I was concerned when I saw how the man's sock was bunched up in the photo, but I read the entire pattern and it turns out they are a great pattern for a bulky yarn sock!
Next year my partner and I will be trekking to MT. Everest, I will make more of these in super-soft Brown Sheep bulky. They fit really well in
(his) hiking boots and the yarn eliminated the needs to wear sock liners.
Thank you for doing a great job on the new site. I look forward to making many more things to wear on the "bottom of the top of the world"!!!!

***One more thing: Great advice from the woman that runs my LYS, make 3 socks when working a pair you will wear a lot or risk losing to eliminate handmade sock orphans!
JulesG wrote
on Jun 19, 2007 1:52 AM
Hi there! I've knitted quite a lot of socks in bulky yarn but since the winters here in Germany are no longer as cold as they used to be I don't knit bulky yarn any more. Nobody wants to wear these thick socks.
But if I ever move to Norway or Alaska I'll certainly try the pattern.
Thanks for posting it.
bjhayes wrote
on Jun 19, 2007 1:11 AM
I am a fairly new knitter and have never knitted socks. These look do-able because of the bulky yarn - when I am ready to undertake socks. For the record, I am female, 45, and have knitted 1.5 years.
BonniR wrote
on Jun 17, 2007 12:04 PM
These are great socks! I am making several pair for grandma as her circulation isn't as good as it should be. She has cold feet all the time. I have made her several lap robes, to change as her mood changes, but these big ol' bulky socks rocked her world.
I do, however, agree that the picture needs some close-ups and picts in an alternate (light solid color)yarn. Some of us - who were knitting before the Nixon administration - can look at a pattern and say to ourselves, "OK, that goes here and will look like that..." but let's face it, many (or most) of your readers are newbies and need the extra help.
Now there is a survey I would like to see the results of: Who is knitting from this blog, how old are they, how long have they been knitting, male of female...
WendyS@2 wrote
on Jun 16, 2007 9:13 AM
Personally I loved the socks. I live in New England and don't make enought money to keep the house as warm as I would like. Wearing warm socks in sloppy slippers is a MUST in my home. Loved the pattern!
ConnieS@3 wrote
on Jun 15, 2007 2:29 PM
This is the first time I have commented on any blog, but I think that I would try felting these socks for a child. connie
SharonS@5 wrote
on Jun 15, 2007 1:47 PM
This is the first time for me to be part of a knitting blog. I didn't think the socks looked lonely. I thought they were lovely.
Casey@2 wrote
on Jun 15, 2007 12:01 PM
What's funny is that I didn't even notice the photography issues until you pointed them out. My problem with the pattern is that it's plain. I can knit plain socks off the top of my head, with no pattern - why would I download it? Just my 2 cents, of course.
CGJ wrote
on Jun 14, 2007 9:57 PM
Congratulations. You are live and on the predicted date. Love all your post and now reading the comments.
CJ
KellieN wrote
on Jun 14, 2007 9:11 PM
Thanks for being responsive to the pleas for photos to give accurate information about patterns. I am looking forward to checking in as things progress on the site!
Jenn wrote
on Jun 14, 2007 4:41 PM
Just remember, fixing a photo doesn't fix a pattern! If that heel really is prone to bunching, please revise the pattern, don't just pull it up before you snap the next photo--I hate when I've expended time and money on a bad pattern!

The site looks GREAT, guys!
JoanneP wrote
on Jun 14, 2007 3:40 PM
These socks were in Knit Scene Fall-Winter 2005! I already knit a pair!