My Surreal Knitting Life And That Stripe

Jun 29, 2007

Wendy's original Tomato

I’m having a bit of a surreal life at the moment. I mean, I know I work for Interweave, and thus I’m supposed to be all nonchalant and cool about things like Norah Gaughan leaving a comment on my blog….but I’m so not cool when it comes to my knitting idols. Norah Gaughan left a comment on my blog. I was so un-cool when I saw her comment that my poor husband had to listen to me squeal with glee for a full twenty minutes. I emailed my friends and told them I could die a happy knitter now. (I may also have danced with the cat for a few moments. It’s all a bit of a blur.)

Even without Norah’s comments (she wrote about how she handled the stranding for the Intricate Stag Bag), Wednesday still would have been surreal. I’ve had to keep it to myself for a bit, but now I can tell everyone: I’ve been PODCASTED! The oh-so-funny-and-kind Kathy and Steve Elkins, owners of WEBS Yarn Store, interviewed me for this Saturday’s Ready, Set, Knit! podcast. It was really fun-but-nervewracking to know that every word I said was being recorded for both posterity and any knitter with an iTunes account. Still, I am fairly proud of myself, since I remembered to mention the name of the website, I remembered not to cuss, and I remembered my name. What else did I say? I have no idea. Go have a listen to the podcast Saturday, June 30 when it is posted and I guess we'll
Me and my Tomato-in-progress
all find out together.

All right. Enough of the surreal knitting life. Everyone's been writing in begging to know what I did with That Stripe on my Tomato, so now, I present to you: a waist stripe!

As I knitted away on my Tomato, I realized that once I got to the neckline I was facing a bit of a pickle. As some of you noted in the comments, That Stripe isn’t necessarily going to be flattering on everyone—for example, me. You’ve seen my photo. I certainly do not need any bright teal signage highlighting the scenery in that particular area.

In fact, when I first saw a photo of the Tomato in No Sheep For You, I did not even consider making it for myself, purely because of the colorwork stripe. The second time I saw a photo of it, on the No Sheep For You Knitalong, I thought, gosh. That shaping is adorable. Plus, look at that neckline! But I can’t wear a stripe across that part of my landscape. No way. The third time I saw a photo of the Tomato, I thought, wow. That is sooo cute. But I wish the stripe were not Right There.

That’s when I realized: Duh. I am a knitter. I can—gasp—MOVE THE STRIPE.

I could have just taken the stripe off completely…but let’s face it: My main color is bright orange. This is clearly not the time for timidity and plain-Jane knitting. It's time for some spice in my life!

So, in the name of spicy hotness, the stripe stays in—but I
Bust darts!
didn't put it across my bust. My stripe is below the bust at my waist, so that it accents the narrowest part of me, and gives me a bit more of an hourglass shape. To balance out the bright teal stripe, and frame my figure, I am going to add a bit of teal detailing to the neckline, sleeve cuffs, and (maybe) the hem.

Oh, and I added...ta DA! Every big girl's best friend: Bust Darts. (I can't believe I am posting this photo, but it is in the name of Beautiful Knitting For Everyone. See the bust darts? I am so proud of those...)

Now THAT’s a Hot Tomato, folks.

Next week, join the Knitting Daily KnitBlog Tour! Every day next week, I’ll be dropping by a different knitblog to answer questions and chat about all things knitting and Knitting Daily. Come on by and join the fun!

Monday, July 2: Ready, Set, Knit! Podcast, hosted by Kathy and Steve Elkins of WEBS Yarn Shop. Read about Kathy's life amongst the yarn and her podcast on Kathy's blog. UPDATE: Please read this post on Kathy's blog, or visit this page to see how you can help one of our most beloved knitting designers, Annie Modesitt, in her time of need.

Tuesday, July 3: Crazy Aunt Purl, hosted by Aunt Purl herself, a.k.a. Laurie Perry.

Wednesday, July 4: Lolly Knitting Around, hosted by Lolly, a.k.a. Lauren Weinhold.

Thursday, July 5: Dogged, hosted by DoggedKnits.

Friday, July 6: CRAFT Blog, hosted by Natalie Zee Drieu.

See you in the blogosphere!

Comments

on Sep 21, 2009 3:44 PM

Third in Our Series on Bust Darts... For long-time Knitting Daily readers, this post might feel like

on Sep 21, 2009 3:42 PM

Photo 1: Knitters, meet Bertha Before we get started: Would everyone please chant "SHARon, SHARon

on Sep 21, 2009 3:42 PM

Me and my hot Tomato in progress I should have known you'd want to know about the bust darts. Your

on Jun 9, 2008 11:06 AM

Sandi's Hot Tomato Salsa (I know you want to hear all about my adventures with the Yarn People at

on Jun 9, 2008 10:17 AM

KiraM wrote
on Jul 7, 2007 10:26 PM
WOW! I thought I'd never get to the end of the comments...good though they are. Wonderful work, colour, and Looks Great On. I, too, would love a bust dart tutorial, and, I would also like to know how to accomodate my "belle belly" without short rows in the round! Rhonda G.
Sarah@6 wrote
on Jul 3, 2007 6:10 AM
Wonderful, I can't wait... thank you... there are many of us who are busty and very little information out there for us on modifying the many patterns that don't address real shapes. May I add to the chorus a request for a comparison of short rows vs. darts for addressing this problem? What are the advantages and disadvantages of the different approaches?
For anyone interested in another approach here's a Knitty article on short rows for the bust: http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer03/FEATbonnetric.html
Thank you!
bjones10 wrote
on Jul 3, 2007 1:16 AM
Would love to have details on bust darts. I am just starting a bamboo tank w/ sweetheart neck and would love to add darts to it. (-:
KathiB wrote
on Jul 2, 2007 10:51 PM
The Tomato is a sweater that I would put off knitting "until I lose weight" with the darts, I feel I can start one now. In black with neon green for the stripe. And maybe a wide stripe for my would be waist area.
Kathi B
AdcockJ wrote
on Jul 2, 2007 9:54 PM
Sandi, Great job with Knitting Daily! I'm really enjoying the multitudes of perspectives, senses of humor and I'm gonna love learning about the bust darts. My preference is for fitted garments rather than one size fits all rectangles, though there are beautiful rectangles out there :) Thank you for a great forum! Take care,
Juli in NM
ShelleyR wrote
on Jul 2, 2007 8:44 PM
What can I add? Brilliant not only in changing the placement of the stripe, but...yep, BUST DARTS. LOVE 'EM. Ideas just don't come any better.
I do love the color choices, though, too
Kimberly@2 wrote
on Jul 2, 2007 5:28 PM
Yes, please I would love to hear your 'how to' for creating bust darts.
LeahY wrote
on Jul 2, 2007 12:33 PM
I love what you did with the stripe and the bust darts - it looks MUCH more flattering this way! Great job!
MirandaR wrote
on Jul 2, 2007 12:03 PM
It is positively glorious!
AlisonT wrote
on Jul 2, 2007 9:38 AM
I have been practicing short rows to do bust darts. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give us some advice. Especially on how to do the wrap from the purl side so it doesn't twist!!
MelissaG wrote
on Jul 2, 2007 9:29 AM
Genius!
RebbieG wrote
on Jul 2, 2007 9:29 AM
I love the changes you made to the Tomato. I'd be willing to give it a try if you gave some bust dart instructions.
on Jul 2, 2007 9:26 AM
Your sweater gives me hope! It's beautiful. I am very curvy on top and would love to do darts as well. Do you have a tip on where I can look to learn how to add them in?
DonnaL@3 wrote
on Jul 2, 2007 8:58 AM

Hi, I really like the bust dart fitting, and the stripe lower than the design indicates I think will be more flattering on everyone, not just us "ample gals". I would like to know more about the darts. dlamont@amigo.net
BigSmith wrote
on Jul 2, 2007 8:56 AM
i like the bust darts. so how do you knit them? (i don't have clue.)
tms
KitrenG wrote
on Jul 2, 2007 5:26 AM
So now that we got to see the bust darts, how about some directions on putting them into the Tomato sweater pattern? Not all of us are quite so daring in construction!
KatA wrote
on Jul 2, 2007 3:40 AM
I'm so taken by the Stag Bag pattern that I started it last night. And I've managed to find some beautiful alpaca yarn here in the UK. But I've converted it to knit in the round, because I really can't stand purling with 2 colours. I'll share my success (or not) once it's finished.
Kat (in London, England)
CharlotteR@2 wrote
on Jul 2, 2007 1:31 AM
Love your work with moving the strip in the tomato! I am a beginner knitter and have accumlated lots of great books on stitches and fixing mistakes but would love to have a reference for putting in your fabulous "bust darts."
That really gave the sweater a customized look. Any recommendations, perhaps a knitting book on couture - shaping?
Char in Portland
jendavis wrote
on Jul 1, 2007 3:06 PM
Yes, more details about how you did the bust darts, please! It's really looking good-- I'm ready to frog mine and redo it from the bust down (hopefully with your help!).
thanks!
on Jul 1, 2007 2:41 PM
I was rather 'mehh - not for this body shape' about "Tomato" - that is untill I saw yours! Yes! on the bust dart lesson. I wear boxy sweaters with no problem, but I'm thinking that I'd like more structured garments in my wardrobe, too.

I look forward to your emails, this is turning into a great community.
JoiA wrote
on Jul 1, 2007 2:24 PM
Yes, I am up for bust darts. I want to know more about shaping my garments. No more boxy sweaters!
PatriciaD wrote
on Jul 1, 2007 12:52 PM
Bust darts are a real plus, as well as moving the pattern around. This is wonderful, in just one Knitting Daily has given the Knitting world are wonderful way to learn something new and inovative. Girl, keep it coming!!!
LauraP@2 wrote
on Jul 1, 2007 12:20 PM
Hello!
Just wanted to tell you how great it looks, and I'm envious of the bust darts! So perfectly placed! Definately hot! and I feel the same 'duh' moment--move the stripe--what a great idea! And I love the colors, too. You're definately making this your own. And you know all that squealing you did about Norah? That pretty much sums up how I felt being 'posted' in Knitting Daily!!

Happy Knitting!
Major Laura
SherrylE wrote
on Jul 1, 2007 10:32 AM
Love the sweater and the alterations you made to fit you. Would you be willing to share your altered pattern and the yarn you used? It's a great fit.
Danielle@2 wrote
on Jul 1, 2007 10:31 AM
Love how it is shaping up - can't wait to see the accents you plan to add.
But please - please - please - explain more about bust darts!
Chris R wrote
on Jul 1, 2007 7:57 AM
I just tried incorporating darts into a sweater for the first time. I used the short-row method and was happy with the results. But I was using a sportweight yarn, and I don't think short-rowing would look good when using something thicker. So I'm eager to hear how you did it. Great job on the sweater -- and great blog!
Lieke wrote
on Jul 1, 2007 5:28 AM
OMG, that's such a great idea to move the stripe. I've also got the book "no sheep for you" and altough I'm the opposite of you (I've got small breasts) I didn't want the stripe there either (because it would mask the little bit I have). Putting it on my smallest past sounds like a great idea. I might knit this top after all...
LinaS wrote
on Jul 1, 2007 1:01 AM
I LOVE the day-to-day update on the tomato. I am currently working on a top, but your tomato pattern is getting juicy!! Please post for modifications and adjustments to the original pattern, please, including the bust darts :)

Many thanks for the Knitting Daily - THIS IS A GREAT COMMUNITY!!

naijaknit
TracyS wrote
on Jun 30, 2007 8:18 PM
That IS a hot tomato! You go girl!
Marskanovich wrote
on Jun 30, 2007 7:19 PM
Okay, yes, the underbust darts are good and like many commenters I would like to know more about how you calculated them. BUT I have another related question: One thing that short row darts do is increase the length of the garment across the center front to allow for the... uh... extra distance that the garment has to cover. Since you did not use short rows, I would be interested to know whether you later have any problem with the hem of the front riding higher than the back.
AmberS wrote
on Jun 30, 2007 6:40 PM
Thank you for all of your funny insights into knitting and life! Your humour comes through in your writing & I really enjoy it. I also appreciate the idea that patterns are written in sand not in stone & we creative types can change what does not work for us. Sometimes it is easy to forget that we have the ability to make those changes/adaptations, kind of like cooking & come up with our own "recipies" for knitting too!
All The Best,
Amber
JaniceJ wrote
on Jun 30, 2007 6:05 PM
I don't know about the bust darts, but I do know that I think you're writing is terrific. You have a great sense of humor! Keep up the good work!!!
Janice/June 30, 2007
ChrissT wrote
on Jun 30, 2007 6:01 PM
I once had the editor of a certain online crochet magazine order something from online from the knitting store where I worked. I think my coworkers thought I was a bit overboard until the very next day when the talented Sally Melville popped into the store with her daughter. We didn't stop talking about either "visit" for about a week.

I love the way you did your bust darts! More info please. My darts don't seem to look as polished as yours.
JaynaM wrote
on Jun 30, 2007 4:51 PM
The bust darts are just the thing! Did you simply do the math between the bust and ribcage measurements, then increase accordingly? They don't scream 'look here' and that's what I like. They make the piece look so much nicer. Thanks for sharing your shyness photos anyway.
KateT wrote
on Jun 30, 2007 4:40 PM
Bust darts are a marvel. Stephanie Pearl McPhee left a comment on my blog. So there.

Kate, in rainy Warwickshire.
KateH wrote
on Jun 30, 2007 3:43 PM
Thank you so much for being brave and showing the bust darts. I would love instructions on how to do them or where to find a tutorial. As a fellow busty woman I get intimidated and disheartened by the abundance of slim fitted sweaters and would love to learn more about how to make those patterns fit my curves.
BeverlyN wrote
on Jun 30, 2007 2:50 PM
hank you for Knitting Daily. I can't tell you how much Ienjoy it. After looking at that tomato for days, I have concluded that, while the shape of the sweater is stellar, the stripe is not well placed for any figure. Your placement is much better. FOr someone (like me) with samller hips in comparision to bust the stripe migh look good near the bottom, above the ribbing with a solid space between the ribbing and stripe.
StacyP wrote
on Jun 30, 2007 2:42 PM
Me too for more on the bust darts. I had also "dismissed" this pattern for myself...
AdrienneS wrote
on Jun 30, 2007 1:51 PM
Sandi- marvelous job with the waist stripe & the bust darts are great! I don't think that I would know how to do that! Keep on going girl! That is one hot tomato!
Marthaeo wrote
on Jun 30, 2007 1:50 PM
So how do I try my tomato on without losing stitches off the ends?????
PaulaT wrote
on Jun 30, 2007 1:30 PM
Move the stripe?! Brilliant, absolutely brilliant!! Bust Darts, even better! With your alterations I would definately consider making this. It's amazing how sometimes, as knitters we forget that we can alter patterns, it takes someone else to remind us that patterns are not carved in stone. Thank you!
debaccuardi wrote
on Jun 30, 2007 1:06 PM
I love how you have altered the pattern. Can you share how you added the darts? You have hit on the exact reason I would never have knit this sweater.
WendyE wrote
on Jun 30, 2007 12:38 PM
The Tomato is WONDERFUL! To say the least. I love it! Please share the how to on how to add bust darts. I also share the landscape problem with you. thanks, Wendy
Carolyn@5 wrote
on Jun 30, 2007 11:50 AM
You've convinced me! I want to make one, too! Bust darts and moving the stripe are the clinchers -- I already loved the sweater but couldn't picture it on me. Now I can. THANK YOU!
KallieKY wrote
on Jun 30, 2007 11:34 AM
I love knitting daily!!! I've always considered myself an experienced knitter, but am finding out that I'm not so much ...
I'll tackle any and all patterns but find myself lost without one. You "more experienced" knitters just can't leave that pattern alone! I love that you change things and will share what and how along the way. bust darts are brilliant and I can't wait to find out how to do this.
Kallie Y
TamaV wrote
on Jun 30, 2007 11:31 AM
I love the bust darts and the change in location of the stripe! I wanted to make this pattern for my daughter but the last thing she needs is something that draws more attention to her bust line. Your adjustments to the pattern will be perfect for her! Thanks!
on Jun 30, 2007 11:14 AM
Great post. I NEED to know how you did those bust darts- they are among the best I have ever seen. I have been putting off making a few sweaters for myself since I haven't yet perfected the dart. Please help! :-)
AntoniaC wrote
on Jun 30, 2007 11:08 AM
Sandi, Love the placement of the stripe. I, too, am one of the big girls. Would you share how you made the bust "darts" with us. Surely there are more big girls out there. Antonia C.
ElizabethB@8 wrote
on Jun 30, 2007 10:28 AM
You've opened an avalanche with those great bust darts. Please tell more!!
KaridaC wrote
on Jun 30, 2007 10:17 AM
Yes to bust darts! Short rows on a sweater in the round are the tool of the devil. Great job on pattern mods!
IvyH wrote
on Jun 30, 2007 10:07 AM
That is the thing about knitting that is so fun-- modifying the patterns. For instance, I have a plan percolating in my brain to modify the stagbag (for which yarn is already ordered). I am planning to knit it in the round, with the pattern on both sides and the zigzags somewhat different. I have to work it all out on charts, but that's the general outline of my plan, anyway. Wish me luck!
Paula f wrote
on Jun 30, 2007 9:33 AM
Good morning ladies - I don't usually post comments but it seems to me the Tomato has taken on a life of its own or maybe its really the STRIPE. I haven't attemped this pattern yet and may have my knitting devoured by the "Tomato That Ate Knitting Daily" as well.
paula f
DonnaC wrote
on Jun 30, 2007 8:51 AM
Love the Tomato!!! It fits you perfectly, the stripe is in the exact right place and the colours!! WOW, now I want to do it!! Way to knit Sandi and congrats on the podcast, thought I am a little behind in the new technological age(does that give MY age away) I understand form your excitement it's a good thing.
Poobiechick wrote
on Jun 30, 2007 8:43 AM
All hail the curvy girl! I would love to know how you did the bust darts. Joan
catspaw wrote
on Jun 30, 2007 8:07 AM
Brilliant, in all ways. The color is fabulous, the waist stripe is better than the originil, IMHO, and the dars are inspired. Brava!
Sdombro wrote
on Jun 30, 2007 8:02 AM
Sandi,
Sdombro wrote
on Jun 30, 2007 8:02 AM
Sandi,
KarenC wrote
on Jun 30, 2007 7:50 AM
Wow bust darts. I'd like to hear more about those. I'm a new knitter. Where can I get more info?
LisaS@5 wrote
on Jun 30, 2007 7:48 AM
I LOVE the bust darts and the relocation of the stripe. Please, please, won't you tell us more about bust darts?
Knitterjee wrote
on Jun 30, 2007 7:36 AM
That is lovely -- is there any way that you could post the pattern with your changes? I would love to be able to knit it with the adaptations!
Rebecca@2 wrote
on Jun 30, 2007 7:15 AM
I am really loving this blog regarding the Tomato and the boldness of the orange and teal. I am a fairly new knitter and I am inspired to knit this sweater. I never thought to move the stripe either and it will equally work for me however, I admit that the bust darts look complicated.
JaneG wrote
on Jun 30, 2007 7:10 AM
I love what you havedone with the origianl pattern - that's the kind of knitting I usually do - start with a basic idea and change it to suit me. I love your colors too. I think if I end up making this one, I'll leave the stripe alone, tho, as I have NO bust.
BettinaF wrote
on Jun 30, 2007 6:38 AM
don't know what you are complaining about - you have a gorgous female shape (you are female,right?:)) I couldn't put that stripe anywhere for myself - apart from the shoulders maybe!
LizabethT wrote
on Jun 30, 2007 5:59 AM
Your Tomato's nice! And placement of the stripe is where it should be. If you decide to add the stripe color to the bottom hem and to the bottom of the short sleeves, it will visually increase your width in both places. It would be more flattering to add a touch of the stripe color to the neckline only.
on Jun 30, 2007 5:34 AM
Instructions for bust darts please...
Thanks, DK
ElisaS wrote
on Jun 30, 2007 4:20 AM
Oh, I really love the way you change the pattern and the colors your choose really match together !
I don't know how to do bust darts, but I love the way it fits ! Another thing to learn I guess...
At the beginning I thought I may knit this top for a friend who is less busty than I am, but after seeing yours, I think I will knit it for me !

(Sorry for my english isn't very good... I am a french knitter ;o)
SeverineL wrote
on Jun 30, 2007 4:13 AM
Great darts ! I didn't know this, how did u do ? Actuzlly, it could be the magic solution when I knit for one of my friend... What about a tutorial on darts ? ;o)

The colours u choose definitely enlight your face, for a happy life ! :o)

(well, I admit, I'm trying my best to speak in english. Not so bad for a French ! lol )
on Jun 30, 2007 2:35 AM
OK, how do I do bust darts? They look great!
Renee F. wrote
on Jun 30, 2007 2:21 AM
The teal was a nice choice and so was moving the stripe. Don't know if i'm too keen on the accents idea though, leaving them out means you'd keep the clean sharp graphic look you've achieved with this brilliant combination and you'd easily able to change the look of the finished product with a your choice of teal (or any hue just as nicely chosen)accessories - camisole or bracelet or earrings, lace or otherwise knit scarf, headband - you can stop me anytime;^)... But accents kind of become the accessories .. oh never mind.. love the darts:^)
Charmaine wrote
on Jun 30, 2007 2:11 AM
I meant to say "you LOOK great by the way". Duh!
Charmaine wrote
on Jun 30, 2007 2:08 AM
The bust darts are fantastic. Please tell us how you did them! You great by the way!
Cindy Bawdon wrote
on Jun 30, 2007 1:39 AM
Those bust darts are amazing! Where did you learn how to do those?
EmmaS@2 wrote
on Jun 30, 2007 1:14 AM
I love that shade of orange, and the teal is the perfect colour to go with it! I dyed some yarn (http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1427/556634847_851f767a29_m.jpg) those colours and love it in your top :).
JessicaM@4 wrote
on Jun 30, 2007 12:55 AM
I like your version better and are now interested to try to make one myself.
KathyM wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 11:50 PM
I vote for a bust dart tutorial. In fact, when I saw your pic I immediately became interested in knitting my own tomato. PS I like your stripe placement better than the original. Bravo!
Jessica@5 wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 11:42 PM
Another request for the bust darts and plus sizes. Love the color combo you're using!
DeborahT@3 wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 11:09 PM
Bust darts! How do you do those? How about a post devoted to the subject? Every sweater I knit should have this modification.
CarolynM@2 wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 11:09 PM
Are we allowed to see what Norah Gaughan said? You are not the only one who admires her you know. Your bust solution is beautiful.
Teresa F wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 11:07 PM
I really love to see a knitter who is not afraid to alter a pattern to make it suit them or their purpose better! I like the color work stripe better at the waist and think the darts are wonderful! I'm going to make Norah's beautiful stag bag, but I'm not going to make it in so many pieces. I'll make it as a tube with just a bottom seam - and I'm planning on having the stag on both sides.

I love this new blog of yours - great ideas and terrific patterns! Keep up the good work!
on Jun 29, 2007 10:25 PM
Darts! Yes! Please!

And you can feel free to use my name on the blog tour info--I gave up any pretense of anonymity long ago :)
on Jun 29, 2007 10:16 PM
From reading the comments, I'd say there are enough of us interested in bust darts! Add my name to the list! We need to know how it's done!
-Katherine
KimA wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 10:11 PM
I love the strip placement and am in for the "bust dart lesson."
CharlotteB@2 wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 10:04 PM
Moving the stripe down was a great idea! Before I even read further, I was thinking that the swaeater would look great with teal detailing around the sleeves,etc. So great minds think alike,lol.
SandraB wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 10:03 PM
I like the Tomato - for my daughters - but with your placement of the stripe and those magical bust darts, this is something I could wear myself. Please please teach us how to do this and maybe us more 'ample' women can wear cool stuff too!
VeronicaH wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 9:51 PM
I love the progress on your sweater, beautiful. I also see you use the Denise needles, I love those.
SharonR wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 9:50 PM
*chanting* BUST, DARTS, BUST, DARTS, BUST, DARTS!!

Us big hourglassy girls have spoken! :)
KellyN wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 9:44 PM
Here, here for the bust darts. Can't wait to read how you are doing it.
CherieM wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 9:39 PM
Wendy: Love the bust darts! How did you do them? Please give us the info---as many of us are more rounded than the patterns allow!
Thanks. Cherie
LindaK wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 9:27 PM
Oh what a marvelous way to keep the stripe and make it work for you!!! amazing I love it and looks great on you! and yes the bust darts are impressive!! I hope to learn that someday!! hugs Linda
Angeleyz14 wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 9:16 PM
Your tomato looks absolutely fantastic on you!!! Love what you did with the stripe and those darts are perfect. Congrats on an amazing hot tomato so far!!!!
Shelley C wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 8:57 PM
Your sweater looks beautiful :)
SusanI wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 8:53 PM
It's comforting to know that you can totally lose your cool when faced with one of your knit idols... and how nice that Norah is a REAL person not a diva
MelissaM@2 wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 8:52 PM
The darts are perfection.

I remember the first time a famous person (Stephanie Pearl McPhee) posted a comment on my blog. I was over the moon!! I did not believe it until a techie friend traced the comment back to a Canadian IP.
I am after you on Ready, Set, Knit, and can't wait for tomorrow to hear it. I get to hear the radio broadcast. Tough act to follow - you have a fantastic radio voice!!
Julie@5 wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 8:45 PM
OK, now I love it and can see how I might be able to wear it.

Thanks for sharing. Now I just have to figure out how to do those bust darts. I'm sure they're in "Big Girl Knits", right?
Cassie315 wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 8:44 PM
Haha! I felt the same way when a designer commented on my blog. You forget that the designers are part of the knitting community too! I love the darts and stripe on your Tomato. It looks great ....
JillC wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 8:41 PM
I'm yet another 36DD wants to know how to plan, place and create bust darts. Thanks for offering to give us thorough instructions!
AndreaMurley wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 8:38 PM
That looks AMAZING! I've always wanted to make something to skim over me like that, so it looks like I'm heading off to buy a new book (excellent!)...
Brittanytam wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 8:32 PM
I love your bust darts! <3 Another 36DD here who would love a tutorial!
MarianneB wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 8:29 PM
Sandi,
You are great! Thanks for sharing the process with us all. You are going to look HOT!
AngelikaC wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 8:19 PM
Be proud of those dart. Not everybody can show them off like that or has the ability to alter a sweater like you did to make it fit perfect.
Michelle wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 8:18 PM
HMM I like where you placed the stripe...something for a busty gal to think about! And defintly more on bust darts!!!!! Sounds easier than short row shaping!
CarlaW wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 7:51 PM
More info on the bust darts, please! All I've ever done is short-row shaping.
RitaW wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 7:44 PM
The sweater look fabulous! Love the colors and the stripe around the waist. But those bust darts are what really make it a "hot tomato". Is this a technique you can share or is it in a book? Love the way this looks.
Rita
theyarnqueen wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 7:42 PM
I love those tada moments. And the stripe and shaping you made are great. That inspired me to put the Tomato on the list of to do projects. Will you post your changes to the pattern?
LindaA wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 7:40 PM
My comment above was cut off. Good patterns and shaping for larger-busted women are hard to find. More tips for this body shape would be awesome too!
DeniseT wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 7:39 PM
i LOVE the darts. i wish there was more of them out there in patterns. i love your sweater and the orange. (are you using Denise needles?)
LindaA wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 7:38 PM
Please do give us the word on the bust darts! Good patterns
Robin wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 7:29 PM
Awesome bustdarts. Worthy of a one word entry in Webster's.
Please share the genius.
Love your art, talent, technique...work!
Thank you.
JaniceL wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 7:23 PM
I love the tomato that you are knitting...what courage to knit in such a vibrant color. I loved the idea of moving the stripe...even some of us "smaller landscaped" people can use that idea if we don't want to draw attention to our bustline.....thanks for encouraging us to step out of our boxes and try a fabulous color like you have chosen. J
MelissaS@2 wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 7:22 PM
I too noticed the bust darts first. Please, share how you did this! All chesty women will rise up and call you blessed!
WillaJ wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 7:21 PM
The Harlot wrote to me once, and I was on cloud nine! You can be very proud of what you're doing. Both the sweater and the site. Both are coming along just beautifully!
on Jun 29, 2007 7:16 PM
i LOVE the bust darts and the re-placement of the stripe... you ARE a genius. So please do tell the how tos of the darts. I share your ample size! Actually, I prefer your design over the original and the colors together are GREAT!!!
on Jun 29, 2007 7:16 PM
Please, please, please blog about the bust darts. I too would like to knit me up a Tomato (and I was just going to omit the stripe, but I like how it looks here). Question one: did you still knit the "size" that most closely corresponded to the bust, and then take it in, and at what point did you start the darts? And will you dart back "out" as you get to the bottom?
I suppose there would also be a way to do the opposite, i.e., knit a size that represents where you want the measurements to be for everything else, but just add "darts" with short rows?
NathalieN wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 7:15 PM
That shaping looks fantastic on you! Very flattering. Now I want to make one. Great job! Can't wait to see the finished product.
JuliaS wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 7:15 PM
Yes, I have been wondering how to make an ample bust look nicer in many a sweater. Most just look boxy or stretched too much. I would LOVE a tutorial on the darts and/or short rows in the bust area... how to figure out where they go, especially. Thanks!
Ann TracyT wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 7:12 PM
I thought"hmm, the tomato sweater is nice, not spectacular, but nice" until I saw the bust darts and the new placement of the stripe! You're a knittin' genius. Very creative choices and inspirational , too! I think the bust darts are as important a technique to learn as say turning the heels for socks. So teach away, please.
BeateM wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 7:05 PM
Until now I've only used short rows for the extra room. But the darts look so interesting. Please tell us, how you did them
AmyJ wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 7:04 PM
As much as you didn't want to share your bust darts, I have to say that's the *first* thing I noticed about the photo, not the stripe -- because I thought they looked *great* and I was trying to figure out how you did that (and pretty sure the Tomato pattern didn't have any). Fabulous job on the shaping!
TinaB@2 wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 7:03 PM
I would LOVE to know how to incorporate those bust darts; I knit in the round 99% of the time, which complicated adding short rows. This could be a godsend!
KathleenR@2 wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 6:59 PM
Yes, let's hear about the bust darts. I rarely knit sweaters for myself because of the shaping issues.

Kathleen
Sarah@3 wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 6:57 PM
When I first got No Sheep for You back in March I looked at Tomato and thought "Oh if only that stripe wasn't there." You have given my inspiration to someday (I'm a fairly new knitter) make Tomato and *gasp* move the stripe. I love your colour combo. That teal is my favourite colour, so I would do it in reverse of yours. :) Love those darts! I didn't even know that such a thing could be done in knitting. Being a plus size with ample chest I know all about having to adjust clothing patterns with sewing darts. Please share your knowledge with us! Keep up the great work!
PatC wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 6:56 PM
Wonderful stripe placement for you and the darts are terrific. Yup, I'm up for a dart chat. Ihaven't knit this sweater because I have serveral other projects going, but if I were to, I'd raise the neckline and place the stripe just abouve the bust to be best for me. That got me thinking...pictures of all the different ways to place that stripe to falter the figure the sweater is being made for would be a great education on how to use balance, shape, color for different figures. It would be a fun line up. I may have to knit this sweater.
kharman777 wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 6:52 PM
OK. I'm impressed! Move the stripe underneath the bust and add darts! As an intermediate knitter (with a similar figure to , I love watching the creation of this sweater. I think I'll wait to make mine until I see the finished product! Too much fun...
PamelaP wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 6:49 PM
I hope you're going to share how you did those lovely bust darts. They look smashing!
VeronicaW wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 6:44 PM
Love the stripe placement and the darts! Please share how you did them :)
HaleyL wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 6:44 PM
I am probably one of the least busty people ever, but I still love your bust darts. Very impressive. I love how your tomato is turning out and I love your blog. Thanks for sharing with us! Everyone in the blog world is talking about Knitting Daily. The stag bag is the must do project right now and I'm sure the tomato is growing in popularity too. Great job!
LeslieS wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 6:41 PM
Congrats on those lovely shaping darts - the folks on What Not to Wear would be proud of you for moving the stripe and emphasising your good areas. Now, you have shown me how I could wear that too :) Thanks and looking forward to you and CAP together.
joyzi59 wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 6:39 PM
A response to your comment about Norah Gaughan writing on your blog. I once ordered a kit for a Sasha Kagan jacket and the designer herself called me about the order. I was dumbstruck that such a celebrity would actually call me.
SaraJ wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 6:38 PM
er, vertically. The vertical look of the chevrons also helping the look, for me.
SaraJ wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 6:36 PM
Please share on the bust darts! I'm a fairly new knitter (www.inkandscrap.blogspot.com, don't let the name fool you), but I aspire to making sweaters and tops and things.

Being plus size, though, with am ample chest even when my belly isn't so, does present problems. (more plus sizes in patterns, please, too!). There is a top I'm DYING to make (by another magazine) that is basically like a chevron scarf pattern, but the whole shirt. Horizontally. I figured that'd break up the horizontal strips of a variegated yarn enough (horizontal strips and plus size, not always so good . . .). I've got some ideas on sizing up (gauge swatch, some math, add in a pattern repeat or three depending on gauge swatch and math), but the bust problem eludes me . . . . . how would one do bust darts in a pattern stitch? Obviously it depends on the pattern, but perhaps there might be some tips on doing this sort of thing, like having it decrease one of the pattern columns down until it disappears at the bottom of the bust, or bust dart . . .

This topic has been much on my mind, lately!!!!

Sorry to go on so much. Love the move of the stripe, and the teal w/the orange, and that you are going to add more teal accents. It's looking great!
Kathi wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 6:33 PM
I'm just about to start my bust darts on Bombshell (almost Tomato), and as good as it explains in the book, seeing you... um.... darts ;) really gave me the confidence to charge ahead with mine. Thank you!!
Teri@2 wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 6:24 PM
please talk about the bust darts. you did a great job - it looks great fits so nicely
SandyZ wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 6:23 PM
Yes, please share! I may need some hand holding on this one!
AudreyD wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 6:22 PM
PLEEZ talk about bust darts! For years I made the mistake of knitting 'potato sacks' by going by my bust measurements to pick out pattern sizes, and I love the way yours make a shape that's organic looking!
Janel@2 wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 6:17 PM
Oh the bust darts are a great addition. There are so many cute sweaters I never consider because of the um... bustyness problem.

-- Janel
Ruth666 wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 6:14 PM
Yes, PLEASE do talk about bust darts! It's a make-or-break detail for a lot of us, and I've never really found anywhere that tells how to do it well. I love the way yours turned out!

And I love the move of the stripe. I too downloaded the pattern (I'm an old hand at stranded knitting) but didn't start on it because I don't need banner advertising on my boobs.
CindyK wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 6:13 PM
OK, tips for doing bust darts please :) Knitting with a bit of shaping is good for most people but it is something that I haven't quite figured out. Any tips would be helpful. Your Tomato top is looking great!
Karen@2 wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 6:09 PM
Awesome! It looks fabulous on you, and I love the placement. You know you have to give us more details now. There are plenty of us shapely knitters who will want to replicate what you've done. :-)
on Jun 29, 2007 6:08 PM
I really like the modifications you're making to Tomato, some of which will help me, too. But I'm having trouble figuring out the back waist length. I think it ranges between 22 and 26 inches. Is that right?
HeatherM@2 wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 6:06 PM
oh, that is soooooo clever! and I love the darts (from a 36DD, I feel your pain :) I haven't done darts before and I am thinking that it is time I do!
RebeccaW wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 6:02 PM
Since I'm a small person with a not small chest, I'd really love a discussion about bust darts! And the placement of the stripe? Brill. I'll have to steal that idea.
KatieM@2 wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 5:59 PM
I'd be interested!! It looks like there are two closely spaced darts? It that the case? I've only done bust darts a few times, and I've never added them to a written pattern. I'd love some pointers.
KD Sandi wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 5:45 PM
Sandi here...If enough folks are interested, I can talk about bust darts next week. Hint: I don't use short rows. Anyone else up for bust darts? Is that a silly question? :)
NoraP@2 wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 5:23 PM
I love the idea of using bust darts, but when I have actually tried to put them in I have had some unfortunate results. I've tried following the pattern instructions, but somehow I just don't get the same results. I must be missing something. I love your stripe solution and the colors do look great! -NP
DebJ wrote
on Jun 29, 2007 5:00 PM
Bust darts?! Love them! For those of us who share your shape, where do we find out more about including them in other sweaters???
And love the new placement of the stripe!