It's All About You!

Jul 6, 2007

Look what Michelle made to congratulate us!

Something magical happened this week. A bit like the Velveteen Rabbit becoming real, Knitting Daily started to become a real community over the past several days. You commenters were having a rollicking good time, the blog tour was a blast, and then, just when I thought things couldn't get any better, Kristin-of-the-great-emails comes to the office to introduce herself in person and show me her knitting. (We had so much fun chatting that I forgot to take a photo.) And my friend Michelle put this adorable "yarn bouquet" on my desk! Suddenly, the dream of Interweave's online Knitting Town was becoming a reality, thanks to all of you fabulous knitters. Here's a few more highlights, plus some Q&A from the comments:

Many, many thanks to the Fab Five KnitBloggers who graciously invited me to be their guest this week. My visit with Crazy Aunt Purl was a hoot and a holler, and she did a darling photo montage to go with the interview. Kathy and Steve of WEBS had me on their Ready, Set, Knit! podcast and were such gracious hosts that they didn't even bleep me when I said "online knitting party" three times in a row. Lolly did an extremely polished and professional interview, and I spent so long answering her interesting questions that I turned them in barely in the nick of time. Ashley of DoggedKnits asked me about my dog Buddy (amongst other things), thus endearing herself to me forever. And Natalie of CRAFT asked me a question that made me just sit and stare at the keyboard for a very loooong time...How do you answer, in less than a tome, and without sounding like an idiot, why knitting is such a rockin',
Here's what the tag says
fabulous craft?

Seems like that one ought to be easy to answer...but knitting runs deep in us knitters. All you have to do is read the comments on these little posties here, and you can see that something special is going on, something we here at Knitting Daily did not really expect when we were sitting in meetings all last year, planning the colors and the fonts and the layout of the website. All I can say is: Thank you. (Plus: You knitters ROCK!)

From The Comments: Questions And Answers

How do you measure using waste yarn? Take a long piece of smooth cotton yarn (called "waste yarn," since you can toss it out afterwards--but I re-use mine), thread it on a tapestry needle, and slip the live stitches of your knitted piece onto the tapestry needle--slip them purlwise, so that you don't twist them. Do this until all the stitches have been threaded onto the waste yarn. Remove your knitting needles, tie the ends of the waste yarn loosely together so the stitches don't fall off, and presto! You can lay the piece flat, or try it on, and get much more accurate measurements. To continue knitting, slip the stitches back on the needles, being careful not to twist them, remove the waste yarn, and you're ready for more knitting!

How about some other knitbloggers on your tours? What if I want to interview Sandi, too? It's so kind of you to ask! If anyone would like to have me as a guest on their blog/podcast/world tour, please contact Marvelous Jaime, our publicist, and she can talk about all the details with you.

Where can I find the pattern for Sandi's little green top? I must have it! That is the
Measure this! Live stitches on waste yarn
Lacy Little Top from LanaKnits Hemp For Knitting, and I adore it. Yes, I knit it out of her lovely avocado green hemp. What size did you make?The upper two sizes are 40" and 44", so I did a teeny bit of math and knit a 42" for myself.

Why rule out short rows? Oh, short-rows rock for creating room for dangerous curves! (If you don't know about this technique, Amy and Jillian wrote a fab book just for us big girls.) In fact, when I started, I sat down and worked out all the math for inserting short-row darts into my little orange Tomato. I started knitting...and they were great, but they weren't the effect I wanted. I ripped them out, started thinking about sewing darts like my mom taught me, and there you have it. Which kind of darts work best depends on what shape you are, the pattern you are knitting, and how you want your finished project to look. As any gal who has ever shopped for a bra knows: One style does NOT fit all. We curvy gals (and those with other sorts of non-standard body shapes) are just starting to explore all the ways in which we, too, can have knitting patterns that flatter and fit. We're on a mission!

Next week: We're moving on to talk about lacy things, like shawls. I've had so many emails from y'all about the Summer Shawlette and the Comfort Shawl that they need their own posts! Have no fear: I'm getting close to being done with my Hot Tomato, so I will be sure to share the PDF with the bust dart info, plus the end of the Hot Tomato story, very soon!

Comments

WendyC wrote
on Aug 6, 2007 10:14 PM
I really enjoyed knitting the Tomato. I would love to know about more top down sweaters.
JoyJ wrote
on Jul 9, 2007 7:35 AM
I too enjoy this blog, I love the way you bring out your world into our computer screens all over the world, and make it seem you are writing to just one person. I also love the comments, and how helpful they are, especially in clarifying something you have began.

Keep up Knitting Daily, and may it keep growing.
Vibj wrote
on Jul 8, 2007 8:36 PM
Central Park Hoodie is available in the fall 2006 of Knitscene magazine.
ShannonD wrote
on Jul 8, 2007 7:47 PM
Your post a while back about using negative ease was a true revelation for me, after having knit a camisole that came out much too baggy. (Like you, I was knitting for the imaginary bigger girl.) Is there a way to add darts to a finished garment? You mentioned sewing darts like your mom taught you. How do you do that, since my mom never taught me that? I'm also looking forward to reading about your buddha belly darts. Congratulations on the success of Knitting Daily! Thanks a million for all your hard work.
JanS@3 wrote
on Jul 8, 2007 8:17 AM
As a new 50-60ish knitter I'm sincerely enjoying the whole knitting community. Wondering though whether those of my age (still young at heart but not THAT young) might expect some patterns appropriate to our maturity BUT never frumpy! Yours, and ever hopeful, Jan
AdrianaW wrote
on Jul 8, 2007 12:36 AM
I'd like to try those flowers, it would be a fun small project to do in between the bigger ones. Is a pattern available?
AdrianaW wrote
on Jul 8, 2007 12:36 AM
AdrianaW wrote
on Jul 8, 2007 12:35 AM
AdrianaW wrote
on Jul 8, 2007 12:35 AM
DeborahN wrote
on Jul 7, 2007 7:47 PM
Just a clarification about bust-darts, because there's a lot of disinformation going on out there in blogland ...

Short-rows create horizontal bust-darts, but the type you added are vertical bust-darts; they are not the same thing and they don't do the same thing! One cannot be exchanged for another and get the same effect. Horizontal bust-darts provide additional length required by a larger bust projection, and vertical bust-darts provide additional width.

Most of us "big girls" know that we frequently need both, but that most knitted fabrics have enough flexibility to accommodate the boobages without one or the other. Also, some designs more readily accommodate one or the other. Decisions about which type to add have to take all that into consideration.

With all the talk that bust-darts are getting online lately, I'm increasingly frustrated by knitters hearing "short-rows" and thinking that is all there is to know about bust-darts. Thanks for letting me clarify!

~ hb33 ~
JoLeneM wrote
on Jul 7, 2007 6:12 PM
Another vote for the Central Park hoodie. I have also been looking for that pattern. Thanks again for this fantastic site, and for all of your great ideas!
KathyL wrote
on Jul 7, 2007 5:52 PM
I look forward to ending my busy day with time spent on the Knitting Daily website. Am in some serious trouble-I want to make everything!! Currently have the Stag Bag and a pair of socks in progress, and now we get to play with lace!! OOh so much to look forward to and too few hours in the day!!
ElaineM wrote
on Jul 7, 2007 5:31 PM
Am so impressed with your idea of turning a hot tomato into a roasted tomato.

Am very keen to copy it (having a lack of imagination and talent myself, you see) - but am currently bogged down with knitting for my kids, friends kids and a multitude of new babies ... and then it's Christmas...and then it's birthdays...I think it may be time for all this altruistic knitting to cease and for me to selfishly knit for myself! Am avidly reading your fabulous site and wishing for more peaceful hours in my day so I can get on with some knitting. Great stuff, thanks very much.
OsmundsenP wrote
on Jul 7, 2007 1:42 PM
I do not have comments particularly about the latest post but I wanted to say how much I am enjoying being a part of Knitting Daily. Keep up the good work.
ArleneG wrote
on Jul 7, 2007 1:20 PM
I just recently signed up for your Knitting Daily newsletter. I enjoy reading it and welcome any hints or knitting info. I have one complaint - I wanted to see what free patterns you were offering, but it wouldn't let me get there unless I was agreeing to sign up for some sponsors, then it again made me do it on another page. Now I am receiving more bulk mails and I never even got to the free patterns. You need to make it easier for us.

A new reader
RachelB wrote
on Jul 7, 2007 1:18 PM
I would also love to see the Central Park Hoodie offered as a free pattern!
JenniferP wrote
on Jul 7, 2007 9:46 AM
I'm in the process of knitting the Intricate Stag Bag into a pillow. On the needles right now! Also--the hint about keeping one color between your legs and one to the right of your thigh really helps...my strands aren't twisted anymore!
PaulaH wrote
on Jul 7, 2007 9:25 AM
Loved that yarn bouquet! I am an American married to a lovely Englishman and I've seen nothing like that over here. Is it something we can make, or just another example of American creativity that one can buy? Love to make one for my daughter who just had my third granddaughter. Any chance of instructions on how to make or buy? I'd be really grateful. Paula the Beginner
Spinndiva wrote
on Jul 7, 2007 8:49 AM
YAYYYYY!!! Lacy things!!! Can't wait!
lace addict here... can you tell?
I am writing on a lace shawl pattern right now...
LydaC wrote
on Jul 7, 2007 8:45 AM
I'm enjoying "Knitting Daily". I've been knitting for over 50 years, and I'm learning a lot from the blog and from reader comments. Loved the 'waste yarn' piece. It will make my fitting more accurate. Thanks. Lyda
RuthB@2 wrote
on Jul 7, 2007 6:19 AM
Some thoughts regarding why knitting is a wonderful craft, though some are not directly about knitting, but more about "creativity" in general. My definition of "creativity" is "a conversation between competence and curiosity". As we gain competence, whatever the medium, we are curious about what more we can do. Knitting lends itself magnificently to this. On knitting specifically, I view it as a socially acceptable way for my inner "Jezebel" to express her sensuality and passion through fiber and texture (I'm also a handspinner).
EvelynB@3 wrote
on Jul 7, 2007 4:26 AM
I just wanted to pop in and say that Knitting Daily was definitely worth the wait. You have given me more reason to love Interweave Press!
Merryl wrote
on Jul 7, 2007 1:53 AM
No need for a tome to answer Natalie of CRAFT; you can tell her in two words why knitting rocks: exciting serenity.
h_detmers wrote
on Jul 7, 2007 1:01 AM
With the circ. sets that have a little hole for tightening the tip, you can run a lifeline/holding yarn super easy! Thread crochet cotton thru the hole, knit a row as normal, and when you're at the end of the row, your lifeline is in place like magic. OR - if in a hurry: thread the cotton thru, pull the needle out the other end, Voila! Hilary in Germany
LynnC wrote
on Jul 6, 2007 10:14 PM
If you knit on round needles with a long enough cord between the needles, you can fit the garment without using waste yarn or taking the fabric off the needles. Lynn
Deborah N wrote
on Jul 6, 2007 9:22 PM
I love all the emails and information, finally found the yarn today and can't wait to start the tomato. I want to try every project that you talk about.
SaraJ wrote
on Jul 6, 2007 9:19 PM
Yay, Truffula Trees!

Some med student actually knitted a Thneed . . .

Which keeps making me say, "Gesundheit"!

Great post.
Jenna@2 wrote
on Jul 6, 2007 9:16 PM
I love reading your post Sandi! They are very informational, yet so funny! I love it!!!
JenniferS wrote
on Jul 6, 2007 8:11 PM
I, too, loved the yarn bouquet! It was a great idea that I will probably use in future swaps! I made bath puffs from a knitty.com pattern with Lion Brand Incredible that I tied to back scratchers and put in flower pots full of bath goodies. I gave them as hostess gifts to the lovely ladies who threw me a baby shower.
LindaM@3 wrote
on Jul 6, 2007 7:46 PM
Congrats Sandi Iam so happy you started this site I love it, I get very excited when I receive one. keep up the good work. I also love the tips Linda
Vibj wrote
on Jul 6, 2007 7:40 PM
A great way around waste yarn is the new KNIT PICKS option needle set, you can cast on then unscrew needles, screw on the safety caps, knit your piece, when ready the stitches are live and ready to be knit. Great invention, saves alot of time.
MargeD wrote
on Jul 6, 2007 6:54 PM
Give that tripod a hug for me. It's amazing what the critters can do. My neighbor had a Britney Spaniel with hay fever. He would find his way home with his eyes swollen shut.
LindaM@3 wrote
on Jul 6, 2007 6:37 PM
Hello, I love all the posts. What a wonderful site this is. I look forword to it. Great imformation. Linda
SharonC wrote
on Jul 6, 2007 6:36 PM
Ah, Sandi, what did you expect, but success? In the first few days, you gave us permission, by example, to admit that most of us aren't perfect. And laugh a lot while we did it! So keep it up...I'll be here.
TinaK wrote
on Jul 6, 2007 6:11 PM
What a totally great idea---- the yarn bouquet.... very cute.

I've enjoyed you on blogs about town, thanks for sharing your time and ideas.

What a great community, it will grow and grow and grow, and well--- you know! :)
LeslieC wrote
on Jul 6, 2007 6:11 PM
I would love to know how the flowers were made. They would look great on my desk when I read the Lorax to my students!!
GleanneK wrote
on Jul 6, 2007 6:07 PM
Theresa - I totally get what you mean about the ripping out. I just ripped out about 8 inches of sweater (with a nice cable to boot) and it didn't bother me a bit. My teenage girls seemed to think it a shame though. To start over is a blessing... like the old saying 'if I knew then what I know now....'
CoraB wrote
on Jul 6, 2007 6:01 PM
Just love your web site, it makes me feel great when things just don't go totally right! I really never thought about darts in knitting, great, great idea! Keep knitting and keep letting us know about it. Cora
CoraB wrote
on Jul 6, 2007 6:01 PM
JenniferH wrote
on Jul 6, 2007 5:55 PM
Loved the interview, Sandi. Also, I'm soooo psyched up on the forthcoming LACE bit. I've decided to spin the yarn for the Icarus Shawl in Interweave Knits & think I've totally taken leave of my senses! Thus, any possible lace projects & tips are most welcome. Jennifer
KD Sandi wrote
on Jul 6, 2007 5:44 PM
The Truffula Trees! As an ex-San Diego resident (home of the real Dr. Seuss), I know the Lorax story well. Michelle's yarn bouquets DO look just like the Truffula Trees!

I'll have to find out what kind of yarn Michelle used. Can you see the flower stems? They're green metal knitting needles. :)
BethY wrote
on Jul 6, 2007 5:38 PM
I love that bouquet. It reminds me of the trees in that Dr. Suess book with Lorax. What were those called?
What type of yarn is it?
UsborneBeth
KD Sandi wrote
on Jul 6, 2007 5:30 PM
Sandi here...I can't ever resist answering the first few comments! ;)

CatBookMom: Wow! 3 evenings? Impressive. I'm hoping we can have a readers' gallery soon so everyone can see each other's goodies. Cross fingers.

Arianne: It's called a Secret Sweater Pattern because...it's a secret ;) But you gave me an amazing idea. What if I could come up with a way for you KD folks to vote for what patterns you wanted to see on KD next? Hmmm. Folks?

Theresa: I love what you wrote. That's going to stick with me for a while...thank you.

If we ever did have a Knitting Daily book, we'd have to include the comments, because you folks are the best part of the story.
TheresaM wrote
on Jul 6, 2007 5:20 PM
I've been pondering the psychological side of knitting recently and discovered something about myself. Part of why I like to knit is being able to unknit (tink, frog, rip) to fix mistakes. Life doesn't always allow that. It's like when my children (4) were little (4 in 6 years) my husband couldn't understand why I wanted to be the one to cut the grass. Eventually, it occurred to me that it was the only thing I did at that time that stayed done for a few days.
ArianneS wrote
on Jul 6, 2007 4:35 PM
As follow up on your interview with Ashley over at Dogged I want to know if the secret sweater project that will be offered for free soon is the Central Park Hoodie? Because I can't find a copy of that back issue anywhere and I REALLY want to knit it!! So even if it's not the CPH, can we have that pattern added to Knitting Daily since it's no longer available for pay from IK back issues?
on Jul 6, 2007 4:26 PM
Last Tuesday I printed out the Comfort Shawl and finished it in 3 evenings! I used a lovely teal acrylic & mohair blend, and it turned out great! Photo on my blog soon (http://catbookmomsyarns.blogspot.com)