Questions, Questions: The Shawl, The Darts, And More

Jul 16, 2007

Coming Soon: Icelandic Lace Shawl

Sometimes the best part of writing a post is getting to answer back someone who leaves a really great comment:

Dear Eirwen in Wales,
I am so sorry that visions of the gorgeous Icelandic Shawl have distracted you from your previously-scheduled vacation knitting (of a gorgeous silk lace-and-cables sweater, no less). Be strong. The shawl pattern will be waiting for you upon your return. (Unless, of course, you want to fly me to Crete? I could bring the printout straight to the beach, perhaps.)
Yours in lace knitting, Sandi

Update on the Icelandic Shawl pattern: We discovered a correction to the original chart, so the whole thing has gone off to the tech editor for a thorough check-up, and we will post the PDF later this week, as soon as it is ready! As an additional treat, we will also be posting the original article on Icelandic Shawls that appeared with the pattern in the 1996 issue of PieceWork.

Fireside Lace Edging

As a teaser, our featured free pattern this week is also from PieceWork magazine: Fireside Lace, an easy lace edging from the 1800's that you can use anywhere to add a lovely (and authentic!) vintage touch. The original was worked in crochet cotton, but you could work it in sock yarn, DK weight...I'd love to know what creative ways y'all can come up with to use this cute edging.

Customizing For Your Own Curves

As promised, I am working on a Bust Dart PDF with the actual Bust Dart Numbers, as well as instructions on how to customize for your own curves. I've spent a chunk of time researching numbers for you gals whose curves are either smaller or larger than my own, and this has proved to be more frustrating than I had anticipated. The Official Research Numbers, as any of you can probably guess, often have little to do with Real Women And Real Bodies. (If you want a great-fitting bra, are you able to confidently walk in and buy one off the rack without trying it on? Not on your life, which is my point exactly.) To make matters worse, the Official Research Numbers vary widely from one expert to another; there are even reports that a B-cup in a 34B bra is smaller than a B-cup in a 38B bra.

Real Knitting For Real Curves

No wonder we women have trouble finding clothes--or knitting patterns--that fit! And no wonder so many of you were so excited by the concept of bust darts, whether they are formed with vertical shaping (as mine are) or short-rows.

So, here's the deal:

It is not The Interweave Way to publish knitting information unless it is Great Knitting Information. (Sure, we make mistakes sometimes, such as leaving out the schematics in last week's version of the Charm Wrap...oops. A new PDF with the schematics included has been posted, with my apologies.) For all you Bust Dartage Fans, for example, I'd rather take the time to get the numbers right than rush it and have some of you end up with a bust dart on your left hip. However, I know many of you are anxiously awaiting SOMETHING.

Here's my question: While you are waiting for the Whole Dart Tamale, would you like to have an interim PDF, documenting my specific alterations for my size only, perhaps giving hints and suggestions for other sizes? Leave a comment and let me know if you don't mind waiting or if you'd like a sneak peek.

From Your Comments: Q&A

"Wow! Do you get to knit at work, or do you just knit really fast? I think it would take me a month to get Tomato done..." (Lauren H.) Knitters are always curious as to whether Interweavers get to knit at work or not! A lot of us here knit during meetings or at lunchtime, but the rest of the time, we have too much other work to do to be able to knit during the work day. I knit after work, on the weekends...just like everyone else. I don't knit very fast at all--in fact, I am a wee bit self-conscious about my lack of speed. I am, however, persistent, and will get up early to knit to meet a deadline. And Lauren, a month is just about right: With all the ripping I had to do to get the mods on my Tomato right, it took me three weeks to finish it.

"Yes, it's great but what do you mean you haven't blocked it yet? Don't you have to block the pieces before you sew them together? Very curious..." (Anonymous Knitter) You're absolutely correct--if the Tomato had been knit in pieces, I certainly would have had to block each piece before seaming. However, the Tomato is done in the round...so I could get away with not blocking it before wearing it.

"I love the Charm Wrap cardigan. But as I am in Europe (Netherlands), I have no idea what to do with your inches, needle size etc and description of 'worsted' yarns. It would such a great help to have a 'translation' list. Do you know where I can find something like this? By the way, your Hot Tomato is great and suits you well." (Mieke) Great point, Mieke. All our pattern PDFs have both metric and English measurements for sizing, needles, and yarn label information. However, conversion tables and/or links would be a great addition to Knitting Daily. I also will try to be better about putting equivalents in my posts!

Sandi Wiseheart is the founding editor of Knitting Daily.

Knitting Lace: Knitting Daily Presents 7 Free Knitted Lace Patterns

Are you addicted to lace knitting? Or maybe you've admired some of the gorgeous knitted lace patterns out there and want to give lace knitting a try? Here are seven of Interweave's top knitted lace patterns, gathered together in one FREE ebook for you.

Whether you are a first time lace knitter, or a seasoned expert, you'll enjoy the timeless beauty of knitting lace. Get these stunning projects that will continue to inspire, and be loved for generations to come. You'll want to make every one of these lace patterns, so download your free eBook now and get started (and don't forget to tell a friend so they can enjoy their own copy!)

Download Your Free Lace Patterns Today

Comments

ana avila wrote
on Mar 1, 2010 6:15 PM

yes I just want to know if you are offering kniting clases.

on Sep 21, 2009 3:44 PM

Third in Our Series on Bust Darts... For long-time Knitting Daily readers, this post might feel like

TereC wrote
on Jul 20, 2008 8:43 PM

Dear Sandi,

THe link to the Charm Wrap is still not a working link (www.knittingdaily.com/.../Charm_Wrap_150-1.html) takes me to a "we're sorry this page doesn't exist" page.

I'm, too, looking for your version of tomato with the stripe at the empire placement.  I'm working to jump to the "intermediate" knittiing from the easy knitting, but being a curvy size 40D makes it difficult to make sweaters that fit.  I've been working on afghans, wraps, shawls, ponchos, and starting to work on sweaters and dresses for my daughters (13 and 10).

Thanks for your help, and I'm looking forward to seeing the pattern for the charm wrap!

Tere

LindaH@6 wrote
on Jun 12, 2008 10:02 AM

The link to the PDF with the dart information for the Tomato sweater takes me to a non-existant page (www.knittingdaily.com/.../Charm_Wrap_150-1.html). Oops.

jeanbes wrote
on Jun 11, 2008 1:48 PM

Hi Sandi

I need help I made extra long socks for my husband because

he wears a brace after a stroke but the other sock keeps slipping down do you have a solution for this thank you I enjoy your news letters Jean B

on Jun 9, 2008 11:06 AM

Sandi's Hot Tomato Salsa (I know you want to hear all about my adventures with the Yarn People at

on Jun 9, 2008 10:17 AM

MarieH wrote
on Sep 29, 2007 1:57 PM
I too am looking for the PDF on busts!!
Happygoo25 wrote
on Sep 23, 2007 1:04 AM
Yes, where is that Bust Dart PDF? Did we miss it?
SandyM wrote
on Aug 2, 2007 1:38 PM
Hello, just curious to know if you had finished the Bust Dart PDF? A friend and I were talking about it last night. We are both interested in making the tomato; althought mine should probably be renamed Grape, since it will be in purple. But oh well. Also, I love your newsletters.
eledwen wrote
on Jul 21, 2007 10:38 PM
My weekend knitting started with the second of a pair of Jaywalkers for my husband (started while waiting for HP7!) and continues with a Sweater ornament from Charmed Knits to commemorate *spoiler deleted*.
MarieH wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 4:32 PM
I too look forward to the PDF on darts as I am a rather full figured gal too. Thanks so much, I love your letter and the magazine.
Pam@5 wrote
on Jul 19, 2007 9:13 PM
This may be another small thing to think about in regard to darts: I have a friend that used to work in a word processing dept in a college. One research paper she had to type up for a student had information about breasts in it (not sure what class the student was in), but it mentioned that most bras for both well endowed and small breasts had the apex of the bra in about the same place, facing basically forward. In this paper the research showed that most small breasts are spread out more (or separated further apart) and are actually more to the side of the chest so the apex of each breast faces more to the side and not toward the front. So with the center area between the breasts more spread out or wider than a well endowed sister the placement of darts would be farther apart.

This is why most small breasted women cannot find a bra that fits them correctly.

Pam D.
Rose wrote
on Jul 19, 2007 2:08 PM
This may be a silly question, but what is wraps per inch? I'm new to knitting (just started this last January), but have crocheted for years and have never run across this term before. Could somebody explain it for me? Thanks!
on Jul 19, 2007 1:20 PM
I love the bust darts - being a busty gal myself. Some of the math and ideas behind the shaping would be a great interim. My degree is in philosophy, not garment design...should have switched majors. That said, this is all so new and complex (which I thoroughly enjoy) but I need some more of the reasoning for what goes where, how and why...thanks for the website and the connections. Interweave strikes gold again!
TinaK@3 wrote
on Jul 19, 2007 8:29 AM
Is there any chance you could give us the type/size of yarn and amounts before you publish the pattern so that those of us that are interested in knitting it can start looking for the yarn?
SaraJ wrote
on Jul 19, 2007 12:44 AM
Happy Birthday, perhaps a little late from me.I'm still nervous about even thinking about making my first top, but if I'm attempting socks in August (a scary goal I set to do by then, in April), then a new goal I have is to have a knitted top by Thanksgiving (that'll give me Sept, Oct, and most of Nov., for a newbie's pace as well as for possibly more frogging than most.)Also, I'll be making the sleeves 3/4 length, as I have the same bunches up under the arm problem someone else mentioned. Being rather fluffy is part of it, but I recently discovered my left, non-dominant upper forearm, is larger around than my other, I'm guessing since I obviously use my dominant, right hand more. I have trouble find clothes in the store with arms that fit, even when all the other areas do. And when they are short, they bunch up to my pits after awhile. That's a fit problem that's not been mentioned.I discovered even more recently that my left calf is larger around than the right (do I sound like Frankenstein's monster now? Who put me together, anyway?) . . . so if I ever knit knee stockings, I'll have to have a
MariaH wrote
on Jul 18, 2007 8:19 PM
Yes, I would you like to have an interim PDF, documenting your specific alterations for your size only, and giving hints and suggestions for other sizes!!
I have to alter all my clothes and have hesitated knitting fitted tops!

Maria
on Jul 18, 2007 6:42 PM
Hi SAndi
love your posts i always look for them. Love your version of the Tomato it looks scrumptious. Find all the info on cups interesting, now i see why i have had such a hard time finding bras to fit. o i can wait on the info and try to decide if i want to make it like you have or the original way, hmmmmmmmm. Cant wait for the shawl pattern it looks beautiful.
Someone mentioned Happy Birth day so i will add on to that as well.
Mary BethB wrote
on Jul 18, 2007 5:07 PM
I check the Knitting Daily site, daily, to see if you have posted the instructions for bust darts. My two cents to your inquiry is that I'd rather be patient and let you ponder this from all angles, think it through so that your formula can be applied to all shapes and sizes. I'd rather wait for a fool-proof masterpiece than an interim tease.
JoylaG wrote
on Jul 18, 2007 4:06 PM
Thanks for being so honest about women's bodies have shape to them. I definitely would like to have your specific numbers with helpful hints and suggestions for other sizes. From what you said in your newsletter, I gather this is more of an artform than a science, and each of us will need to learn how to shape for our own bodies. All the guidence you can give is definitely appreciated & soaked in. Thanks!
ChristyB wrote
on Jul 18, 2007 2:27 PM
...drooling over Icelandic Shawl...
Genevieve E wrote
on Jul 18, 2007 1:15 PM
What do you all think of the knitted items in the movie Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix? Esp. Luna Lovegood's lacy blue 3/4 length sweater? I would love to read an article in Interweave about the costume designer(s) behind this show.
FuzzyMeri wrote
on Jul 18, 2007 12:41 PM
Knitter, know thyself. -- Really. Get a tape measurer and a flexible mind and get measuring! I just did two tee-shirts off of the Mesilla pattern (very like the Tomato), and I had the same problem with where my decoletage was compared to where it was on the instructions. When I used the small amount of common sense I have at my disposal, I found that I had a shirt that fit. Amazing!
MichelleM wrote
on Jul 18, 2007 9:56 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY SANDI!
HesterStarr wrote
on Jul 18, 2007 7:57 AM
I attempted the cast on and first part of the Comfort Shawl. I am totally lost - are there more detailed instructions somewhere on the Knitting Daily site? Thanks - Hester from Atlanta
MichelleC wrote
on Jul 18, 2007 7:04 AM
Hello, Severine. Elizabeth Zimmerman has a wonderful book devoted to knitting in the round.
PhilippaB wrote
on Jul 18, 2007 5:47 AM
Hi Sandi, a B-cup in a 34B bra should be a different size from a B-cup in a 38B bra. Cup size is to do with the differential between the measurement around the chest and the measurement around the back, so the same volume of the cup is named differently according to its relationship to back size, thus: 34B is the same cup size (ie volume) as a 32C, which is the same cup size as a 30D and a 28E etc. (No, they don't manufacture bras in a 28" back size. I have to have mine taken in, which is how I first learnt about all this). I'm not sure about where a DD fits in! For this reason it might be easier to write up the mods taking the measurement of the rib cage immediately under the bust (where your bra strap would go) and around the fullest part of the bust rather than including cup sizes. Thank you so much for doing this! - I can't wait!
SisselE wrote
on Jul 18, 2007 2:45 AM
Are we allowed to beg for a materials list for the shawl? I`ve been dreaming about it for some nights now...It`s sooo pretty!
NatB wrote
on Jul 18, 2007 2:05 AM
I'm from australia and have had the same problem with the naming of different yarn weights, this site http://www.tapestrycraft.com.au/catalog/popup_yarn_weight.php helped me, but i'm not sure if Europe uses the same system! Also this site is great for needle conversion (knitting AND crochet!) http://www.knitting-crochet.com/found/conchafou.html. Hope that helps!
RobinS@3 wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 6:05 PM
Yes, I would like to see the instructions for your size regarding the hot tomato sweater. Who knows, we could be the same size! R
SirBrunhilda wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 5:34 PM
I would love a sneak peek, especially considering that we are apparently the same size. ;-)
Lori@2 wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 4:49 PM
Hi Sandi,

I'm really enjoying Knitting Daily. I absolutely love what you've done with your tomato ... the colors and moving the stripe to the waist look terrific on you!

As to your question about waiting or not for bust dart info ... I would be much happier and okay with waiting until you'd worked out all that ugly math business before you posted instructions. I agree with you ... better right and taking a little longer, than immediate and full of mistakes.

Keep up the great work!
Lori
FiberFriend wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 4:38 PM
Sandi,
Just wanted to say I think the Whole Dartage Tamale will be worth the wait - don't spend any time on stop-gap information that may be incomplete on my account. I also have to say I had my doubts about the Tomato when you posted it incomplete, but it REALLY came together nicely in the end. It looks great on you!! Congratulations on pulling that off.
I have one question/suggestion: will your bust dart instructions be applicable to crochet sweaters as well? I have a crochet pattern I want to modify in just that way, but have been struggling with it quite a lot, so I am really looking forward to your advice. Thanks so much for tackling the issue for us! And, I imagine I may be able to "reverse" the directions to make "waist darts" to do some waist-to-hip shaping? Just a suggestion!

I am really enjoying Knitting Daily!

Mary from Fredericksburg
SockWitch wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 4:13 PM
I bought the Interweave Felt mag.today LOVE IT!
KimJ wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 3:21 PM
I'm patient and would be happy to wait for you to sort through all those different sizes. I've recently joined the ranks of the DD's. I have no idea when my Grandmother's hooha's ended up in my clothing, but it was conspicuously around the same time as my warranty ran out when I turned 40. wonder if they could be related?

Anyway, take your time, I'm happy to wait! As long as it's not forever!

Kim
ChristalP wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 2:59 PM
Thanks so much for the edging pattern. How timely! It's perfect to add to the fetal demise pouch I'm just finishing. I am always on the lookout for knitted lace edgings to add to them that will hopefully make them more special and comforting to those who need them. Love the discourse in this community. Keep up the good work!!!

Christal
CherylF wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 2:49 PM
Hi, Sandi! Love this site, love your posts, BUT... okay, all you bust dart girls are making me a wee bit jealous! I wanted to knit the tomato WITH the fair isle around the bust because I need all the, uhm, attention "there" I can get! I will save the bust dart instructions, though, for the day I have my belly lift:-) Cheryl
AmberN wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 2:46 PM
I'd love a sneak peek!
Lynette wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 2:12 PM
I'd love a sneak peek at the how-to for the darts! Besides, think of all those lucky ladies who will be your size.
MelissaD@2 wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 1:47 PM
I would love a sneak peak also. I am also a fan of charted patterns and ALWAYS prefer them to written instructionswhen it comes to lace or any complicated pattern. thanks! Melissa
ElizabethM@2 wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 1:45 PM
Hi, Sandie!
Being a wee bit timid in my knitting (I always like the security of having instructions to follow) I am willing to wait however long it takes to get the full-on tutorial on darts. I'll just put Tomato on the back burner 'til then. Love the sweater and your color choices!
PatF wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 1:19 PM
For Severine: Knitting in the Old Way, by Priscilla Gibson-Roberts and Deborah Ransom, is a first rate introduction to knitting in the round, and, paired with Mary-Beth Brown Reinsel's Knitting Ganseys, will tell you everything you need to know about the techniques involved (including steeks), the history, and the many variations possible for garments other than socks, mittens, and hats. However, much as I hate to contradict, one does need to block garments knit in the round. Blocking gives especially openings, hems, and necklines the smooth finish that one is looking for.

Pat

Pat
WendyG wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 12:28 PM
Congratulations! Your tomato top with the alterations and darts actually visually minimizes your bust - not that you shouldn't be proud of your endowments! But it is very flattering on you. As for the pdf with details - I have so many UFO's right now I can afford to wait for full instructions if they also include the theory of how they were derived. Thanks so much for doing the research and the work. I usually have to buy 3 at a time of the same kind of bra when I find one that really fits (budget allowing of course) - so thanks for acknowledging this aspect of knitting as well! ---Wendy
AdrienneB wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 12:28 PM
I would be very interested in seeing the work in progress on darts. I commend you highly for even attempting to write up directions, due to the differences in shapes. All 36C's (for example) are not created equal, as it also depends on the measurement directly under the arms, and the amount of taper to the waist from the underband measurement. This is an example of where a percentage method is better than actual numbers.

Comment on the yarn scale, perhaps if yarn weight could be described in wraps per inch (or per 5 cm) it would be helpful to many readers. Due to the differences in how yarns knit up, it would not be a complete answer, but given stitches per inch (or cm) and wraps per inch (or cm), then better yarn substitutions could be made.
VANESSAR@2 wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 12:12 PM
I would rather wait for the completed Bust Dart pdf. How about a hip dart pdf? Is there such a thing? Is there a knitted dress or skirt for us volumptous women?
Carol Dietz wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 11:23 AM
I used to sew a lot(not any more,now I knit!), and there is one thing I don't understand about knitting patterns. Why aren't there back views included in all the photos?? In a sewing pattern there is always at least a drawing of the back view, so you can get an idea of the shape of the garment away from the shape of the model. This would be a great inovation for knitting patterns-maybe Interweave should start the trend?
JeanneM wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 11:17 AM
Sandi, your enthusiasm is commendable, but I still wish there was at times an entry aimed at truly experienced knitters. I have just finished the Icaurs shawl (IWKnits, S 2006)and have been idly looking for my next shawl project. In hopes the Icelandic shawl would be the next thing I looked it up in my old Piecework magazines. Somewhat disappointed - I didn't think it offered much challenge back then and still feel the same. I have been a knitter for 64 years and would really like to see an occasional post that isn't charming, cute, or otherwise aimed at the young knitters. Am I just being an old curmudgeon? Jeanne
on Jul 17, 2007 11:03 AM
Hi Sandi! I can wait for the full tutorial, so no worries. I did want to make one additional comment about the b/c/d cup sizing- be prepared for a long post. Most of the calculators online work great for size 36-40 bands. The problem is when you want to go lower or higher. I am a 32-C. If I put my numbers in a generic calculator it claims I should wear a 32A!! Just like bust darts, there is finesse and math to be done. A 32 means the fullest part of my bust is 32", and below my bust is either 27 or 28" (I can't remember nor can I measure this at work ;-) ). Some of the transition from 27" to 32" is not breast tissue, but rather the ribcage expanding at that point. The generic calculators take into account a generic below boobs to full boobs ribcage slope length, which is why they work well for 36-40" busts and not so great for smaller (less rib expansion) and larger (more rib expansion) ladies. If you are wearing the right band and cup size and buy from a consistant lingerie manufacturer (jezebel, CK, donna karen, felina, etc.) you should be able to buy your size without a previous try on. That is what I do and have sucess each time- impossible to find a 32C in the store- only online. I will try to see if I can find the petites/plus size calculators which get the sizing right and post them later.-Happy Knitting
www.lapetitetricoteuse.blogspot.com
Carol Tanzer wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 11:03 AM
Comment to Sandi's reply to Lauren H.: Holy Seed Stitch, Sandi, you knit slow??!!! Congratulations! I knit slowly too and when and if I start knitting faster, I'll make a conscious effort to slow down. Durn if that isn't what makes knitting so wonderfully and magically relaxing and therapeutic!! Speed knitting? Not for me; I like the idea of savoring my knitting, my yarn, my needles, my patterns, rather like a good dessert :)...
Love the tomato, love the darts, love the lace and looking forward to the Icelandic...all this and my IK subscription comes this month; life is good...
auntie carrot in San Diego
Marilyn1063 wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 11:00 AM
I will wait. For great info, I will always wait! Who knows, maybe your size is mine, LOL. Thank you Marilyn
ShaunaR wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 10:28 AM
I don't mind waiting on the bust dart post, Thanks for asking :)
PattiC wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 10:19 AM
Hi Sandi and fellow knitters!
I'm loving reading 'Knitting Daily' even more this week because over the weekend, while moving furniture, I smashed my finger. Alas, I am unable to knit for the time being. I tried, but with the splint on it, my guage is not the same. I'll have to be patient for a few more days :-( Typing, although slow, is only somewhat impaired. Anyway, I wanted to share my .02 on lace knitting: I'm terrible at it, but getting better. A couple of things have really helped me: I magnify the charts on the copy machine. I color code the individual notations with different colored hilighters. I laminate the chart and my fabulous husband puts a gromet in the corner. The gromet holds my sitch/row counter (this neat little thing made with a couple of ribbons an beads -- would love to send you a pic), gets attached to the corner. I use a post-it to keep the row (I cover the top of the chart and uncover the bottom - to show the row I'm on and the rows that I've already done, so it looks like what's on the needles) and use the row counter because the post-it invariably falls off in my knitting bag), plus this helps me to keep track of the number of repetitions of the chart too. Anyway, these are all things that have helped me to be less intimidated by lace knitting. I still goof it up now and again, and would love any insight on fixing mistakes. Loving the newsletter!! Thanks!
Deborah N wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 10:06 AM
I am just finishing the stripe on my Shrimp colored tomato, it is knitting up quite quickly and am looking forward to how you finished the bottom. Thanks for the daily emails, they are informative and funny. The icelandic shawl maybe next!
TFoz wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 10:03 AM
Dear Sandi,
My question is about the yarn you used for your beautiful Tomato shirt. How does it feel in the summer? Does it feel hot or heavy? I live in the southeastern U.S. and have stayed away from knitting summery tops because I don't think I would wear them--in 80-90% humidity in the summer, the lighter the clothing the better. I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks! I love your daily blog!
Tricia F.
KarenL wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 9:38 AM
For Mieke, or anyone else, in Europe, the best way to convert to inches, is to pick up one of the (free) paper tape measures in IKEA. They have both cm and inch markings. Most of the needle gauges I have purchased in Europe have both mm and American sizes. .... and if not, choose a yarn whose gauge approximately matches the given yarn gauge, and use the appropriate needle for the yarn you use. It all works out with a swatch.
VickiS wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 9:35 AM
Sandi, regarding the cup size question: yes, a cup is not an absolute number but is instead a ratio between the number of inches in the band area and over the full bust.

For an excellent explanation of the variables in this matter (and why the sizing you see in stores seems to make so little sense), I would refer you to: http://www.blooberry.com/bformfaq/measure.html

You may find it helpful to consult your sewing experts at Interweave in addition to your knitting experts. The precision of placement required in a non-stretch garment such as a sewn top often requires many adjustments of pattern, and one of your sewing crew would doubtless be very familiar with working the alterations to correct this issue.

Love the newsletter. Keep writing!

Vicki Stammer
on Jul 17, 2007 9:31 AM
I have been trying to access your free pattern library and have followed your directions to a tee, even checking my password in case I had incorrectly copied it down. I still cannot download the pattern for the baby socks. What do I do now? I am a current subscriber as I ordered a 1 year subscription and have received only one issue. Please help
pkett wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 9:26 AM
I love this newsletter! Keep up the good work.
LydiaL wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 9:20 AM
Great site Sandy! I've been kniting 30 yrs., your site is wonderful. Knitting is my passion. As for the darts,I could use them on my hips, I would be willing to wait for them to be in the correct place.
lydia l
LisaW@2 wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 9:04 AM
Hi Sandi!
I'm so glad I found this site; it is wonderful! As far as the 'Tomato' is concerned, I for one, would like a sneak peek at your alterations! It looks great by the way!
Lisa in Rochester
Shelley C wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 9:01 AM
Thanks for the lace edging pattern. I have been hunting for nice cotton lace edging for a skirt (there are no proper sewing shops where I live) and now I can make it myself. You've also reminded me that I have a beautiful piece of knitted lace edgin by my grandmother that I've been meaning to "unvent" :)

Shelley
LoriB wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 8:51 AM
Hi Sandi-I'm content to wait for the completed pdf showing your changes and how to make your own changes. I've never made lace...yet. Am gearing up to do some lacy footies just now. Cross your fingers!
jweldon wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 8:48 AM
I would be in favor of an interim post on the bust darts.
on Jul 17, 2007 8:30 AM
You are correct that the cup size "b" varies in volume based on bandsize. All "b" cups are 2 inches larger than the underbust measurement. For the best bra-fitting tutorial on the planet, visit
and read it carefully. I am incredibly curvy, there is a 10 inch difference between my underbust measurement and my full bust measurement as well as a 10 inch difference between my waist and hips. I learned short-rows were my salvation to fit years ago and have been using them in everything. Whitelies design has some information about calculating bust darts, but she didn't go up far enough on the cups for me. I had to fiddle with it. good luck.
SallyT wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 7:58 AM
Thanks so much for this great newsletter. I'd love to know what adjustments you made to the tomato. Putting the stripe lower makes the pattern accessible for us busty types, and of course, I never thought of doing such a thing--just dismissed patterns with such detail in the chest area. By the way, did you pick the yarn to go with the watch or bracelet in the picture? (Or, egad, did you knit that, too? Can't tell from my screen's picture). Sally
harmonise wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 7:45 AM
I am drooling over the Icelandic Shawl! I am a crocheter and am dying to try to make a similar one in that technique using wool and angora from recycled thrift store sweaters when you publish the knit pattern. I have a knitting friend at the ready to help me translate. I can hardly wait!!!
Rima wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 7:45 AM
Hi!
I waited ALL day - checking my e-mail several times for today's entry. I can't wait for the pattern for the Icelandic Shawl Pattern! Thank you for taking the time to check and double check the pattern so that it's ready to go! Well worth the wait! Love the blog!!!!
Rima
Donnaspins wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 7:42 AM
I can't wait to start this lovely iclandic shawl!!!! Thanks so much for all your work in finding the pattern for us!!
LisaJ wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 7:32 AM
You're right on the mark about fitting for "blessed" girls. Walking in a store and finding a bra is impossible. Need 34DD but 36 is the smallest size I find. Then, try to adjust knitting and sewing patterns to accommodate the blessings but not the same sized waist! Very frustrating. But great job on the darts. Can envision using them on many other sweaters as well.
AnneG wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 7:21 AM
I love your modified Tomato. I can wait re the bust darts, as no two women are the same size! I think your Tomato is very flattering, especially as to where the stripe falls. Anne
Robin@2 wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 7:17 AM
You are wonderful and so is this website. I love it. Thanks for taking the time to do the 'dart tamale' right before releasing it.
Emrc22 wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 7:10 AM
Could we please have a blog post about crochet for all us hookers out here who absolutely LOVE interweave.
Thankyou.
Rebecca@2 wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 6:44 AM
Vintage Lace - This is a great pattern. My friend is getting married this fall and I was looking for a perfect gift for her. This is it - lace edging for pillow cases and sheets.
Rebecca@2 wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 6:43 AM
re: the PDF for Tomato - I can wait. I really want to knit this sweater but can wait for the specifics.

Thanks a bunch and you are doing a GREAT JOB!!!
Slickchick wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 6:15 AM
With regards to needle sizing, yarn weights etc, Down Under has a whole different language, so some translation efforts for us aussies wouldn't be a bad idea at times too!Although I usually work it out by wraps per inch and swatching. Am looking forward to the shawl as am fascinated by lace
Lisa
Cinders wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 6:07 AM
I love your chatty newsletter.
I'm looking forward to the lace shawl and I have some undyed laceweight readt and waiting for a project.
i think you knit incredibly fast BTW!! Personally I can wait for the bust dart article to be finished as I've no personal need of it right now. it'll go on file for future projects.
SeverineL wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 6:01 AM
"done in the round"... I'd love to know doing that. In France, there is no books dealing with this technique. Do u have a good one to recommend in english ?
JennieP wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 4:25 AM
Hi Sandi,

I'm really enjoying the Knitting Daily emails - it's very chatty and interesting.

About the bust darts, I wonder if you would find Pati Palmer & Marta Alto's "Fit for Real People" helpful. The adjustments for a full bust in a sewn garment are not all that different for a knitted garment conceptually. Basically, they estimate that you need a full bust adjustment (in knitting terms by short rows or darts) if your full bust (ie measured at nipple point) is more than 2" larger than your high bust (measured around the armpits above the breasts. The essence of the adjustment is that you trace a vertical line from the shoulder down over the bust point. The larger the bust, the longer that vertical line is compared to the side of the garment - I think short rows make the best sense of this way of looking at the problem in that you are gradually adding length to the centre of the garment without increasing the length at the side, accommodating the larger bust. I think a rule of thumb would probably be that you'd add 1/2" or so in the length over the bust for every inch that your full bust exceeds the high bust + 2". I really hope that makes sense ...?

Cheers
Jennie
CarolineP@2 wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 3:48 AM
Thanks! Soo Excited!! Have been knitting my own adaptation (from Historical sources) of a Shetland Hap Shawl-but I'm doing a deep Old Shale border on circular needles & have no idea when or how to finish:can't even guestimate the present size: can't imagine it off the needle & blocked & don't know how much of the lovely,earth-toned Shetland wool to leave for the knitted-on-sideways border..it has started to worry me, but I'm sure your Icelandic pattern will help and inspire.Thanks. Love the site!!
Greetings from Yorkshire.
SarahA@3 wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 3:26 AM
I need some help on the non-lace bits of the Comfort Shawl - can anyone tell me what the neckband instructions are all about? I got lost from this point onwards: "With same side of work facing you, rotate piece so selvedge at end of row just completed is uppermost..." Huh? I thought I was an intermediate knitter but ended up just casting on the total number of stitches I was supposed to end up with, but if anyone else has figured it out, I'd love to hear about it. Thank you thank you thank you! Sarah
EirwenG wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 1:26 AM
Hi Sandi
many thanks for your offer to fly directly to Crete with the Iclandic Shawl Pattern for me.My husband already thinks I'm nuts, should an American lady turn up on the beach in Crete with an Iclandic Shawl pattern for me, he will of course have his confirmation.I shall grit my teeth and go to Crete this afternoon and wait till I get back for your fab shawl pattern, I have some seriously nice handspun alpaca(spun by a friend) tucked away for just such a project.
Cheers your a star
Eirwen
VirginiaW@2 wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 1:16 AM
You look adorable in your Tomato. Love the colors and the shaping is a celebration of the female form. I am really enjoying being here. Great idea about using metric sizing as we use that system here too in Australia. Your posts cheer me up as it is winter here so it is nice to share your summery stuff.
PaulaB wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 1:15 AM
Certainly B cups vary according to band size; the cup in a 34B is about equal to that in a 32C or 36A (this is why they say so many women wear the wrong bra - often the band is too loose). The bust darts are nice enough, but the Tomato seems to bunch up under your arms. This is a frequent issue for me, because I'm reasonably muscular (I see this problem with some commercially-made clothing too.) How do I get rid of an uncomfortable and unattractive underarm bunch? Paula
MarilynnM wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 12:52 AM
Your question regarding a preliminary PDF on darts - Yes, I'd like something that would help me get thinking on the right lines. Marilynn
MarjaA wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 12:34 AM
About conversion to other standards. I live in the Netherlands too and use the information from the Craft Yarn council.They have a site that gives you(printable!)information on needle sizes, yarn sizes, pattern sizes etc.
Wonderfull for everyone, great if you're from a country that uses different standards. Just look at:
"www.yarnstandards.com"

Keep on knitting,
Marja
UlrikeB wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 12:16 AM
Dear Sandi, usually I am no great fan of Newsletters but I make an exception for yours. I love it and am excited each time when I find one in my mailbox *s* I especially love your personal style, keep it up please.

re darts: I guess, I'm experienced enough to extrapolate your changes to my size but I am just stepping into fitted knitting (after many years of sacklike pullovers and vests *g*)and just finished a fitted vest with bust darts (as far as I thought it's be right) but am not absolutely happy about it, so I'm rather interested in how you did it.

best wishes
Ulrike, Germany
Charmaine wrote
on Jul 17, 2007 12:04 AM
The tomato really looks fantastic. Is that a modification on the neckline or a very cleverly co-ordinated top underneath? If it is a mod I would love to know how you did that. It looks great. I really enjoy reading your news letter. Still having problems with the link to the lace survey. I am I the only one?
bjones10 wrote
on Jul 16, 2007 11:17 PM
Would love to get a sneak peak of darts for curves before you finish the ultimate uber dart instructions.
GabrieleG wrote
on Jul 16, 2007 11:08 PM
Your finished Tomato looks fabulous on you. Would definitely like a sneak peak. I got my yarn in last week and have been patiently waiting for the PDF before I start knitting my very own Tomato with bust darts.
SharonO wrote
on Jul 16, 2007 9:36 PM
Your Tomato is gorgeous! "Real Knitting for Real Curves" Hum. . . do I hear a book title?

I am looking forward to the Icelandic Shawl. Sigh, all I need is another project on my "to do" list, but I think this is beautiful.

Thanks for your great newsletter.

Sharon, in West Hollywood
BarbaraB wrote
on Jul 16, 2007 9:36 PM
I am prepared to wait for the PDF on dartage. We're a patient lot down under!
from Barbara in South Australia
Wolfdog455 wrote
on Jul 16, 2007 8:57 PM
I get really discouraged when I see so many lovely designs, go to download them, and find that the patterns are not charted.

Please remember that some of us prefer charts rather than written directions. Please consider putting both written and charted diections, especially for lace patterns.

Lynda L.
Robin wrote
on Jul 16, 2007 8:57 PM
Don't mind waiting for the "completed" alternate version of the Tomato.

It is GORGEOUS!!!

Thank you very much.
Gramma Phyl wrote
on Jul 16, 2007 8:43 PM
The one thing that always frustrates me when selecting yarn is
Gramma Phyl wrote
on Jul 16, 2007 8:43 PM
The one thing that always frustrates me when selecting yarn is "weight" of the yarn. I have come to the conclusion that the spinners and weavers have the right idea with their wpi-wraps per inch notations. It would be a nice addition to the number classification the industry is using now.
ShannonT wrote
on Jul 16, 2007 8:35 PM
Hi Sandi, your Tomato top is gorgeous. I really like the way you modified it. After seeing your modifications I decided to knit it. I look forward to your email posts and enjoy the creativity. Shannon in San Diego
SharonC wrote
on Jul 16, 2007 8:34 PM
Well, since I'm not blessed with your particular curves, I don't mind waiting. But I'll certainly read the interim PDF! I can't believe you're going to take the time to include us less- amply endowed girls. Thanks!
CathyAnn wrote
on Jul 16, 2007 8:24 PM
For translations of knitting terms from English to Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, German, Spanish, and French, visit http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/ordliste.php. There is one list for the Scandinavian languages and one list for the others; you can sort the list alphabetically by whichever language you choose. My husband's family is Danish and my sister-in-law and mother-in-law both knit, so it has come in handy for me, since they don't know knitting terms in English even though they speak it well. It doesn't have terms like "worsted" but would still come in handy for a lot of other things, including reading foreign patterns.
on Jul 16, 2007 8:18 PM
It is totally true that a B cup is completely different in different sizes (34, 36, 38). It is actually one reason that kept me from switching bras in high school when I really should have. I didn't want to go back down to A...34B=36A.
LindaP wrote
on Jul 16, 2007 8:13 PM
Hi, I can't thank you enough for the great information on this site. I'm just finishing up my scheduled summer knitting projects and then I'm going to try the stag bag.
Linda in Oregon
JoanH wrote
on Jul 16, 2007 8:12 PM
My mouth waters everytime I see the picture of the Icelandic Shawl. Unfortunately I didn't get that issue so I can't wait for you to post the pattern!
DonnaC wrote
on Jul 16, 2007 7:34 PM
my goodness that is a beautiful Tomato. The fit is amazing, the colours are WOW.
Can't wait for shawl pattern and love the lace edging.. Have made 2 squatties and currently on the Stag Bag, I can't keep up with you!
Great work with Knitting Daily, love it!
Donnamarie
HeatherH@3 wrote
on Jul 16, 2007 7:24 PM
Yes, please, could we see the PDF in progress? I'm dying to know how you did it.
MargoL wrote
on Jul 16, 2007 7:17 PM
There are plenty of conversion charts and links online - you don't need to take up newsletter space with them, just provide links! If you need suggestions, email me - mlhobbies@earthlink.net
Susan1980 wrote
on Jul 16, 2007 6:19 PM
Oops, I didn't realize that posts were not automatically linked to e-mail addresses so my last one about yarn weights did not include any identifying info. Susan in Boca Raton, FL
Susan1980 wrote
on Jul 16, 2007 6:16 PM
Hi Sandi, Thank you for such a great website. I would love a peek at the info on darts. I would also like to suggest that more yarn info be included to aid in deciding if substitution of yarn is appropriate, i.e. perhaps weight of yarn (fingering, worsted, etc) and WPI? Thank you.