Ta-DA! The Icelandic Lace Shawl from PieceWork

Jul 20, 2007

Just for you: The Icelandic Lace Shawl

I absolutely LOVED reading all the different clever solutions you folks have come up with to use as blocking surfaces ... amazing. I do think, however, that Jen S. gets the Creative Gold Star for the week:

For items that just need to be patted into shape and dried flat, I use our trampoline on a sunny day. The black mesh surface allows air flow from both sides and soaks up heat to dry knits quickly.

I shared her idea at a meeting yesterday, and one of the other editors said with a laugh, "Now, THAT's ingenuity!"

To everyone else who contributed their blocking board solutions: Thank you! They were so good, in fact, that I'm thinking of how to best organize them and make them available for reference on the Knitting Daily website somehow. Maybe in the Techniques section? Let me muse over that for a bit and see what might work.

We'll have more on blocking next week...but it's Friday, and thus time for a little Knitting Daily treat.

Fresh from the archives of PieceWork magazine, I am proud to present: The Icelandic Lace Shawl.

I asked Jeane Hutchins, the editor-in-chief of PieceWork magazine, if she would like to write up a little piece about how the shawl came to Knitting Daily:

I am so pleased that the Icelandic Shawl project from PieceWork’s out-of-print July/August 1996 issue is becoming a part of Knitting Daily. The list of people responsible for bringing this to fruition is lengthy and begins with PieceWork’s first editor, Veronica Patterson, who assigned the project, followed by Carol Noble who adapted the design and wrote the instructions. Next comes the member of the knitalong who (just last week) took the extra time to let Amy Sapp, a member of our customer support staff, know that there were people who wanted to make this shawl. Amy forwarded the e-mail about the knitalong to me, and I talked to several people to see how best to get this material into the hands of those who wanted it: Knitting Daily would be the perfect venue. So next on the list is our fabulous technical editor, Lori Gayle. And then there’s Sandi, Kat, and the rest of the web team who made it all happen. So there you have it! My personal thanks to each of one on my list. To those of you who will knit the shawl—enjoy!

All right, shawl fans, there you have it! And remember: We all are going to want photos of your shawls for a Knitting Daily photo gallery.

It's a short post today...because I am off to talk with Eunny Jang, the new editor of Interweave Knits magazine! I'm interviewing Eunny about her very first issue as editor, what kinds of goodies she has planned for the Fall issue of Knits, and more. Knitting Daily will have that interview—and other treats—ready for you in August to celebrate the publication of the Fall 2007 issue of Knits.
Norah Gaughan's Bonsai Tunic

What are you knitting this weekend? I'm casting on for the Bonsai Tunic by Norah Gaughan from the Spring 2007 issue of Knits magazine. I've had the lovely bamboo Bonsai yarn from Berroco sitting there staring at me for a while now, just begging to be next on the needles. But I'd like to hear what's on YOUR needles. Leave a comment telling us about your current project, and maybe I'll use it as an example in the posts about blocking next week. (Personalized blocking tips! How cool is that?)

Sandi Wiseheart is the founding editor of Knitting Daily. She is now the author of the popular Knitting Daily blog: What's on Sandi's Needles.

Knitting Lace: Knitting Daily Presents 7 Free Knitted Lace Patterns

Are you addicted to lace knitting? Or maybe you've admired some of the gorgeous knitted lace patterns out there and want to give lace knitting a try? Here are seven of Interweave's top knitted lace patterns, gathered together in one FREE ebook for you.

Whether you are a first time lace knitter, or a seasoned expert, you'll enjoy the timeless beauty of knitting lace. Get these stunning projects that will continue to inspire, and be loved for generations to come. You'll want to make every one of these lace patterns, so download your free eBook now and get started (and don't forget to tell a friend so they can enjoy their own copy!)

Download Your Free Lace Patterns Today

Featured Product

Interweave Knits Spring 2007

Availability: Out Of Stock
Price: $9.99

Magazine Single Issue

Feels like Spring

Comments

on Jun 20, 2008 10:02 AM

Pingback from  when knitting in the round from the bottom up making pants how do you join the leg to the seat

DonnaS@2 wrote
on Aug 14, 2007 2:51 PM
The Icelandic Shawl is beautiful. But there is a problem with Row 16. I have been following the written instructions, but after doing the repeat 13 times, there are not the right number of stitches before the center marker. I checked Chart b Row 16, and it is different. Totally different from the end of the 13th repeat to the center marker. Please help
Stefanie B wrote
on Aug 8, 2007 10:05 PM
I wanted to add a suggestion about the Icelandic Shawl cast on. When I read this pattern and realized that I would have to pick up the same amount of stitches as I casted on. I used a provisional cast on which made my edging look a lot better and I did not have that ridge on the wrong side. The provisional cast on that I used was one demonstrated on www.knittingatknoon.com website
RebeccaSharp wrote
on Jul 25, 2007 7:42 PM
What kind of file format are you using for the patterns? I can never get them to download and I have a high-speed broadband connection. It just sits and sits. Very aggravating! It shows that is a 'php' file- why not just use a PDF?
DesireeS wrote
on Jul 25, 2007 5:26 AM
Anyone want to do an Icelandic Shawl Knit a Long? If interested, please email desiree@knitandspin.com
AliceK wrote
on Jul 24, 2007 8:43 PM
I have two sock projects, one in a self-striping yarn and the other in two strands held together (a lime green sock wool and a varigated nylon with little "butterfly" slubs. I am surprised how much thicker that second strand makes the sock. Probably will use only the lime green wool when I get to the foot, or it will be too thick to wear inside shoes. Marge, don't be discouraged - my first pair of socks took 2 years till I figured out how to turn the heel. I don't block socks, just rinse them out and hang over a towel on the towel bar in the bathroom until dry.
BarbieM wrote
on Jul 24, 2007 2:40 PM
I'm working on a pair of ankle warmers for dance class and on Eunny Jang's Print O' The Wave Stole. I just finished 2 lace bookmarks for my daughters. I'm also using some leftover yarn to make a baby blanket for Project Linus. I have several other UFOs that need to get back to being WIPs.
Eeyore04294 wrote
on Jul 24, 2007 7:49 AM
My WIP is a baby blanket, and I have a sweater jacket, another baby blanket, a spa set, and 2 pairs of socks OTN, and am dreaming up other patterns. Must be an ADHD knitter, but have promised hubby to finish one before I start another ;)
KarenC@2 wrote
on Jul 23, 2007 9:03 PM
Hi! I'm a beginning knitter. I'm knitting a "hoodie" sweater for my man-sized son. You guys sure are fast! I wish I could get as much knitting done as you do!
gekofob wrote
on Jul 23, 2007 6:32 PM
you asked about current projects:
2, 5-hr or quickie baby cardigans,
2 lace shawls (one is beaded),
3 pairs of socks (one cable, one lace, one toe up),
2 pullovers (one is a hoodie),
2 cardigans (one has mitered squares,
1 fair isle hat
TamaraG wrote
on Jul 23, 2007 5:09 PM
This weekend I've finally started the Icarus shawl from IK summer 2006, I'm using Misti Alpaca Lace weight in a dreamy pale blue.
Can't wait to try the Icelandic Lace shawl.
Thank you! -Tamara G
knit2bfree wrote
on Jul 23, 2007 4:31 PM
finally finishing the trim on my first successful sweater. It is a wrap around summer sweater name the Tulip, by Rowan from their summer book. Getting all the trim peices made and attached has been a stretching experience. Only about 15 more threads to weave in, and two ties to attach.
In reaction to all that fine guage knitting that I have been doing I have just begun the A-line coat from Runway Knits. There are only three stitches to an inch, on size 15 needles. Watching the project rapid prgress is rather exhilerating. During my graduate class that I am taking this summer I work on a variety of little projects, (hat, socks, kercheif) that are not as distracting to my classmates as an enourmuous bulky sweater coat would be.
AshleyT wrote
on Jul 23, 2007 3:40 PM
I'm currently knitting as many 10 inch by 10 inch wool squares as I can by September. My extended family and I have decided to knit and crochet baby goods for Afghans for Afghans. The squares are going to be assembled into baby blankets, I've broken up the monotony by knitting them in stitch patterns I'm not familiar with. This is my first foray into knitting for charity and I love the warm fuzzies I get when I think of a new baby across the world being wrapped in something I made.
AshleyT wrote
on Jul 23, 2007 3:40 PM
MarciaN wrote
on Jul 23, 2007 3:24 PM
Well, you asked! So I'll tell you that my current weekend project is the lovely Hanami shawl from Pink Lemon Twist. I'm knitting it in Handmaiden's SeaSilk. Great pattern, great yarn--it's been pretty divine so far. :)
AnneG wrote
on Jul 23, 2007 2:51 PM
My blocking board is a 2x4' ceiling tile from Home Depot. I covered the edges with duct tape and use plain ordinary T-pins to block. It works just fine! It's cheap, lightweight, easy to pin into ... and did I mentio cheap? Anne
Calendula wrote
on Jul 23, 2007 2:48 PM
Hi Sandi,
I like the Bonsai Tunic very much. But how can I get the pattern in germany? I can`t find any possibility to buy the magazin. Thanks. Stephanie
FiberFriend wrote
on Jul 23, 2007 2:17 PM
I've started a baby sweater for my best friend's new baby-to-be, the Cable Patchwork Set featured on the back cover of Leisure Arts "Beautiful Baby" in bright blue, turquoise, and bright yellow Lion Brand Microspun, "An ultra soft microfiber sports yarn" which although 100% acrylic has the advantage of being completely washable, and very soft - even a little slippery! So - does it do any good to block acrylic? Or is it "what I see is what I get (WYSISYG)". I'm thinking there's no hoping my off-gauge will be corrected later, I'd better fix it now, right? Thanks for the great newsletters!
DenetM wrote
on Jul 23, 2007 1:08 PM
I'm making the Kimono Style Cardigan from KnitPicks, using the recommended yarn in Barn Red. How would I block something that is part in the round, and part flat knit?

Thanks!
JenniferP wrote
on Jul 23, 2007 12:56 PM
I really like the Tomato and Icelandic Lace Shawl, but I'm a little hesitant to commit to such a big project...maybe I should finish my Christmas gifts first?

I don't have much patience when it comes to anything much bigger than a 15 by 15 blanket...

Advice to make projects go by more quickly?
JenniferP wrote
on Jul 23, 2007 12:54 PM
What's on my needles now?

WIP: A red basketweave scarf-the pattern from Knitting Daily, and a cream cabled scarf-my own pattern.

FO: A dishcloth knit in Lily Sugar 'n Cream cotton, with a simple purl ridges stitch pattern.
Kelly wrote
on Jul 23, 2007 12:16 PM
I can tell we all love sharing our current projects!! I am (actively) working on 2 things now - with many more OTN but on hiatus. I'm working on the Starfish Shawl from Norah Guaghan's book, and have just started a baby sweater for a friend. Am also still busy looking for the 'perfect' pattern vest or shortsleeve top for some handpainted hemp/wool that I picked up in Feb. My sister is cleaning house and is mailing me her stash of Interweave Knit magazines from years back, so maybe I'll find something in one of those :)
JenniferB@3 wrote
on Jul 23, 2007 12:03 PM
I'm almost finished with the Bonsai Tunic....if things go as planned it should be blocking this evening. The instant I saw the photo, I knew I had to make it. I love working with this yarn and the pattern is great. Also on the needles are several socks in various stages of completion and I've been swatching for something light and lacey, but haven't decided on the perfect pattern yet. Maybe Print O the Wave? I visited Boston this weekend and found some great yarn stores so my stash is ever-growing.
KelleyD wrote
on Jul 23, 2007 11:42 AM
I am currently working on a number of project (Yes, I am one of those....!) I have had a period of not finishing anything, and just finished one shawl this weekend, and working on the next project in queue, which is a vest knit on the knitting machine and now awaiting the finishing.

But the most exciting thing I am working on are the patterns for my solar-dyed yarns to include with yarn purchases.....Currently two shawls, one with a Worsted weight in an easy but flexible pattern, and the other a Faroese shawl in the lace weight.
CharleneM wrote
on Jul 23, 2007 11:36 AM
As I'm reading over the pattern for the Icelandic Lace Shawl and daydreaming about what to use from my ever growing stash, I noticed there isn't a guage. The mixture of yardage and oz./g's was pain enough but come on, no two people knit the same.And when subing yarn its a must. and not to mention using a size 4 needle when standard for fingering weight is a #1-3 needle. And Please show a pic of the whole shawl it will help immensely when it comes to blocking.Thanks.
Eeyore04294 wrote
on Jul 23, 2007 11:07 AM
I would just like to say that as a new subscriber to Interweave, I was surprised and delighted to see this years magazines shot in my home state of Maine. I will now be a life long subscriber. I also love the fact that you post so many cool patterns here! Keep up the great work!
MaryM@2 wrote
on Jul 23, 2007 10:31 AM
Knitting projects - Just finished a pair of toe up socks from Ann Budd's article in IK-summer 2007 and making headway on the Josephine Top from the same issue using "Hempathy". Like how it knits and feels. Thanks for some fun projects.
Mary Mauz
Yngvild wrote
on Jul 23, 2007 10:20 AM
I'm knitting the Mystery Stole 3 and also the Loksins socks, which I need to finish by Saturday if I want to get them entered in the local fair. They are in yarn dyed with rudbeckia flowers (greenish) and I love the subtle variegation. Should I enter in the dyeing or the knitting? I'd have less competition in dyeing, I'm sure.

Thanks for bring up the Thordis shawl! I already had the pattern but now I'm reinspired to make the shawl - in natural dyed colors. I have to wait until the dye harvest in late August though!
Anonymous wrote
on Jul 23, 2007 10:05 AM
Hi All! One of our readers found an error in the chart key of the Icelandic Lace Shawl. The printed instructions are correct. A new PDF is available for download. Sorry for the inconvenience! ?Kat
BarbaraB@6 wrote
on Jul 23, 2007 10:00 AM
The Icelandic lace shawl is beautiful and I can't wait to knit it, though it may be a while. I have several projects in the works: a pair of socks, a baby afghan, and the Arctic Diamonds Stole from the Interweave Knits Winter 2006. Plus, I'm teaching my 9 year old son to knit and he loves it! Neither of my daughters care much about knitting, though they both have other fiber interests. Keep up the good work! Love the magazines and I love to knit! Barb in MO
catmomnw wrote
on Jul 23, 2007 9:51 AM
Oooh now I have to add this to my ToDo list! I'm a complete sucker for almost any type of shawl. Currently I'm finishing up a felted yoga tote for my mother. I have some felted slippers to get working/completed next for Christmas presents.. Love this blog!!
Jowester wrote
on Jul 23, 2007 9:02 AM
On The Needles: a moebius scarf out of Mountain Colors Twizzle, Moondance; an afghan for my HS Senior, designed by ME, out of KnitPicks Superwash Swish.

In The Brain: I have been LUSTING after the Tomato but have a yarn buying ban on. Solution: I'm in the process of ripping out a Old Navy cardigan made from cotton/linen khaki & white yarn. Thinking of dyeing it some sunshiny/sunsetty color. The yarn looks right. Can't wait to knit a swatch. I also did the Squatty for myself and then gave it to my niece after she enthused about it. Now I can knit another one. Fun for me! Thanks for the great blog and all the inspiration.
LynnP@2 wrote
on Jul 23, 2007 8:45 AM
I just finished a short sleave sweater using a hemp/cotton yarn. The yarn was "Hempathy" yarn by Elsebeth Lavold's. Use the rose color and has cluster cable across the mid-section and one on the sleaves. The yarn was a dream to knit with and the product looks great, per comments from others. Thanks for the knitting daily post. I have the Tomatoe and will be working on it soon.
JennS wrote
on Jul 23, 2007 7:07 AM
Thank you for taking the time to re-do this pattern. It is so beautiful! :)
MicheleR wrote
on Jul 23, 2007 6:06 AM
I was working with the Berroco Bonsai too making a summer sweater from Berroco's web site. The pattern is Badia and has a nice cable and lace pattern on the front and back. It's real cute. And the yarn is wonderful to work with...
on Jul 22, 2007 11:37 PM
I made the Bonsai Tunic for my daughter with Rowan's Bamboo tape in the aqua shade--Wow did it turn out to be a wonderful garment! Many many compliments on it. Fits daughter beautifully, but I haven't taken a photo yet. This pattern was very easy, despite looking difficult. The bamboo tape knitted with ease and speed.
LeahD wrote
on Jul 22, 2007 8:40 PM
Thank you for the beautiful Icelandic Shawl Pattern. I have a lot of alpaca yarn that will work great. I ONLY have 13 items on my needles now: an afghan, vest in Noro Blossom, summer shell, two lace scarves, Earnshaw jacket in Noro Kochoran, sweater in Malabrigo, two Elsebeth Lavold sweaters, Twisted Sisters Jaywalking Jacket, regular scarf, wool ribbed turtleneck, and the (must be out of my mind) Caspian Sea Socks. I learned to knit using a book by Evie Rosen in which she said she preferred to block after the article was sewn together. This is what I have always done and the finished garments look wonderful. I have read about blocking pieces and stretching them to be the same size. If I need to stretch something so two pieces are the same size, one of those pieces will be ripped out and done over. Thank you for publishing the Knitting Daily and all the patterns. Have a great day!
Eva DevoreD wrote
on Jul 22, 2007 2:50 PM
Socks are what's on my needles right now. I'm a novice knitter just now making my first pair of socks. So far, so good. I also crochet and am in the middle of a lap robe and baby hats for a local chairity. Eva D/ July 22, 2007
AmandaG wrote
on Jul 22, 2007 2:10 PM
My LYS is closing:-( so I have seriously added to my stash this week. I finished my son's Harry Potter sweater this week and got it blocked and just folded it up to wait for winter!! I am now working on finishing up a 3/4 sleeve tee shirt for mymom that I started an year ago. I'd like to get it done soon as we are going to visit her in early August. I would also like to get going on a shawl/wrap in preparation for which I have purchased a large amount of mohair. I finally broke down and started writing out the ideas and projects I'd like to do so that I'll know what I need when I have a yarn purchase opportunity. Saturday, all I did was read the final Harry Potter then hand it off to my son to read. I have had quite the satisfying weekend.
MaryM@2 wrote
on Jul 22, 2007 1:19 PM
Thanks for the Icelandic Shawl Pattern! It is on the "to do" list and will probably be my project for a planned fall road trip. Hope I can get enough fiber spun in time.
Mary Mauz
KathyB wrote
on Jul 22, 2007 1:11 PM
I am working on a pair of basic socks in Lion cotton, a wash cloth with a stork on it for a friend soon to have her first baby, and a baby sweater for a workmate's first grandchild. They are all tiny projects because I am having surgery on my wrist Thursday and then won't be able to knit for 4 weeks, unless I figure out a way to knit without bending or twisting my right wrist. I tried Annie Modesitt's Comination technique. I think any reaching to the side with my finger to get the stitch won't work as it hurts now. So, I will read a lot and probably find a dozen more patterns for future work. Any technique hints would be appreciated.
Judy O wrote
on Jul 22, 2007 12:34 PM
On my needles ~ I am currently working on a baby blanket for my 4th grandchild, due in mid-September. I have just completed a blanket for my 3rd grandchild due the end of August. (I wish my kids had planned these a bit further apart.)
My blankets bear some similarity to the Icelandic shawl. Using a combination of pastel "baby" colors and some intense and deep complimentary colors, I start in the middle and work outward in a square. I never know what will emerge as I make them up as I go along. I use bands of textured patterns, lacework, colorwork, etc. I decided to splurge on these blankets and worked them both in RYC "Cashsoft" so they would be both incredibly soft and machine washable.
Much of my work is wet blocked on a sheet over the livingroom rug. It's the only pinable surface I have that is large enough for my blankets and shawls. My husband likes this method because we get to have a new colorful "rug" for a few days every month or so.
--Judy O'Rourke
Anonymous wrote
on Jul 22, 2007 12:32 PM
What am I knitting this weekend? Well I've got two lace shawls in progress for birthday presents and decided I needed to take a break from having to think about the two unique patterns...so on Friday I began the Sursa shawl from the Cornelia Tuttle Hamilton Book 2...I was on a mindless roll of stockinette stitch when I realized this morning (Sunday) that I don't have enough fiber to complete the final 15 rows...argh. Not sure how that happened, my gauge is on track...oh well...it's back to my lace efforts until my LYC opens on Tuesday where I can get one more skein of Noro in the correct dye lot. Having a fabulous knitting weekend regardless! Glenna
JanR@2 wrote
on Jul 22, 2007 12:27 PM
Hi,
Thanks very much for allowing us to receive this pattern!!
God Bless
Always Jan
KarenK@6 wrote
on Jul 22, 2007 12:07 PM
Sandi~~
Thank you so much for the lovely Iclandic Shawl pattern! I have ordered the yarn and am eager to get started. I enjoy Knitting Daily - thanks for your hard work.
Karen
CandaceKane wrote
on Jul 22, 2007 8:52 AM
What's on my needles? I'm knitting a swatch gauge for a Norwegian sweater with colorful cars (Small Sweaters Colorful Knits for Kids, '95, Interweave Press). I'm going to have to face (YIKES) steeks at the end of this road! My last sweater required steeks. It gossiped with dust bunnies for over a year before I found courage in Eunny Jang's "Steeks, Cutting the Edge, Interweave Knits magazine, Winter '06. Now a bottle of Merlot is no longer on my supply list for steeks! Thanks Eunny!
Candace K
LisaF wrote
on Jul 22, 2007 7:51 AM
I have the bonsai yarn to knit this sweater. I may have to abandon my "tomato" for a while and knit it along with you!
Halo945 wrote
on Jul 22, 2007 7:18 AM
What is on my needles? I just finished Lacy Prairie Shawl by Cheryl Oberele. I love, love, love that book!! What should I knit next maybe the Icelandic Shawl?

Lynette
Boeblingen Germany
ChelleC wrote
on Jul 21, 2007 11:32 PM
Thanks for this wonderful shawl pattern. It's one of the most beautiful shawls I've seen. Yes, Francine, I'm in agreement with you that the amount of yardage needed on the yarn is confusing. Tonight I placed my order for the yarn to make it and hope I ordered the right amount. That part could definitely stand to be clearer, but I'm really excited to make this shawl. It doesn't look extraordinarily difficult. I like the fact that it has both written and charted instructions. Great pattern!
LyndaW wrote
on Jul 21, 2007 10:19 PM
this weekend i attended a field trip to an alpaca farm on vancouver island, BC, canada. i dyed a skein of alpaca which is drying nicely. i also bought a hat kit to knit in alpaca and i learnt the technique of making hems and folds in knitting. i am working on some hats for charity and will finish my fourth this weekend. thank you for the gorgeous icelandic shawl pattern. lynda wuetherick
VivianM wrote
on Jul 21, 2007 9:37 PM
i have stuff i have to finish, can't wait to start on that icelandic shawl. i'm really fat, and not only are patterns a challenge, figuring out how to make them bigger is a trick.

i'm so glad i signed up, this is a create community. ~elvira~
SheilaD wrote
on Jul 21, 2007 9:27 PM
I have two shawls going - a shetland shawl done in pale blue mohair, and the Lotus Blossom Shawl that's on the cover of the Shawls and Scarves issue of the Best of Knitters Magazine... I found the Brown Sheep Cotton Fine yarn it calls for in a lovely clear pale yellow, and it's being made for a dear friend who has lovely pale red hair and freckles... I can see her in it in my mind as I work on it.
SheilaD wrote
on Jul 21, 2007 9:27 PM
Kristina wrote
on Jul 21, 2007 8:28 PM
I am casting on my first project without a pattern. I am a relatively new knitter and decided that I wanted to make a 3/4 length light sweater for fall. (I live in Texas) I am using 100% baby camel yarn in a camel color and Angora in a muddy brown and light olive green. I'm nervous about the V neck I have planned, but I'm optimistic! By the way - I love your posts!
conib wrote
on Jul 21, 2007 6:57 PM
So okay, since you asked:

My current project is a modular-knit coat worked in the round. Right now I'm wondering if I should block each module to size prior to attaching any other module to it, which I'm thinking would be along the same lines as blocking each piece of a flat-knit sweater prior to sewing it together.

The final coat is mid-calf, so blocking it when it's already finished might be a -- ahem -- *challenge*.

However, blocking each module as I go could get pretty fiddly and drive me just as nuts.

Thoughts?
DianneT wrote
on Jul 21, 2007 6:25 PM
I'm enjoying Knitting Daily, thanks. I'm knitting the toe-up socks from IW Spring 2007, Juno from Rowan Mag 40 and the Jaywalker socks (and lots of other things too. I love the Icelandic Shawl.
JaneE wrote
on Jul 21, 2007 6:07 PM
I feel like I am in a fog about lace knitting. I believe that this is something that I have been doing. Is it possible or is this a new technique? I am not sure but wouldn't a pattern like fan and feather be considered a lace pattern or even most shawl patterns that have eyelets? Please help clear the fog on this issue. And also thank you for the Icelandic Lace Shawl.
HeidiS wrote
on Jul 21, 2007 5:12 PM
I'm working on a Shetland lace shawl, the center panel is Print O' The Wave from Eunny Jang (the free pattern for the Shetland shawl on her web site) and the rosette border/edging from Flory Loughead's (Floryknits.com) center-out Shetland square shawl. I've just started the rosette border and I'm having good luck with it. Also on needles I have an Aran sweater and a Dr. Who scarf and the first of a pair of Gunnister stockings that need to be ripped out and restarted because they are too big for the woman that asked me to make them for her! But right now I'm obsessing with the shawl because it's the first I've ever done, and the first time I've ever worked with laceweight (I'm using Skacel's Merino Lace). If I never use it, I will probably set it aside so my little niece can use it when she goes to her prom (in about 8 years).
on Jul 21, 2007 4:59 PM
I am just finishing "Cowgirl Slipper Socks" from the Interweave Knits Winter 06. They are so cute. The biggest challenge I set myself for these socks was to spin the yarn for them. I'm a new spinner and hadn't tried sock weight. This pattern required somewhat heavier weight so I was successful (next step - even finer, for a nice lace sock). By the way, the wool is from my sheep (making me an old sheep lady) so the these socks will be for my daughter who actually is a cowgirl on a little ranch in Western Canada. I will be posting photos of this project to my blog soon: http://lifewithsheep.blogspot.com
p.s. "Favourite Socks" Interweave Press) just arrived in the mail - I hardly know where to begin! Does anyone else dream of socks!
DeniseE@2 wrote
on Jul 21, 2007 1:41 PM
I'm almost done with a pair of socks - just the toe of the 2nd sock to finish. Yippee! As I am a single mom and my daughter will be away at summer camp for two weeks starting on Sunday, I am planning on making her a scarf in the Griffindor colors (her request)and a pair of fingerless gloves to give her at Christmas. This will be my only opporunity to knit in secret for her! Just want to say I love this newsletter. I look forward to coming home from work and reading it at night.
LaurenL wrote
on Jul 21, 2007 1:07 PM
I'm finishing up a ChicKami in Berroco Touche (fabulous stuff!) and am about to get started on The Bag from NSFY. Also have some very boring manly socks on the needles for the husband.
SusanR@11 wrote
on Jul 21, 2007 12:58 PM
I'm in love ... the Icelandic Lace Shawl is gorgeous. Will try and be good and finish some of my WIP before I start it. Wouldn't it be great if someone put the yarn together into a kit.
JessicaK wrote
on Jul 21, 2007 12:51 PM
I am currently knitting the Retro Redux Shrug from the Lace Style book. A friend of mine bought the book for me after I fell in love with the Katherine Hepburn sweater I saw in the Knit Picks catalog. But as I am a lace novice, I decided to try something a little easier for my first project. It's going pretty well now, though it did take a little while for me to get into the rhythm of the pattern. I bought the yarn I'm using from Knit Picks too, and I just love the feel. I can't wait to finish the shrug off and for the weather to get cool enough for me to wear it!
VioletF wrote
on Jul 21, 2007 12:50 PM
I have three things on the needles: Daphne's Baby Cape from Knit2Together (my sister is trying to get pregnant, and I figured I'd better start on the gifts now); the Toshiko scarf from Berroco patterns which I'm making bigger and longer and wider so it's more of a shawl; and a purse of my own devising, but based on the Ms.Poppins bag from KnitPicks. (I'm doing it in seed stitch with a cabled border.) All three projects are getting too big for my purse, so I guess I'll have to cast on something small pretty soon! Maybe some socks...
LaurieA wrote
on Jul 21, 2007 12:39 PM
On my particular obsessive knitting "Q", I have wool booties I am knitting for an auction on August 3rd, which felt right up like a dream! I am making 5 pairs in a little basket using variegated patterns and little bits of fluff for edgings. Then, when that is done, I have baby socks, mittens and a hat for a library auction on September 11th. Also with lovely little bits of fluff here and there. Then, I am making my 3-week-old grandson some sweaters in one and two year sizes (he has enough stuff to last till then!) and I'm also finishing my teenage son's second sock from father=son socks pattern from winter 2006 Interweave knits, starting my teenage daughter's socks from spring or summer IK, and also try and squeeze in a bit of charitable knitting (sweater) for a little girl at the food bank I go to==knitting DAILY rules! I can even knit lying down in bed! Do I have not much of a life, or what!
Sherry wrote
on Jul 21, 2007 12:38 PM
Sandi, thanks for the update on the correction :-) The link is working great and I can hardly wait to decide yarn so I can start this new project.
KD Sandi wrote
on Jul 21, 2007 12:13 PM
****Sandi here...The URL is correct, the comments box code is just counting the period as part of the URL. (argh.)

Here's the URL again for the pattern info page with corrections:

Trixie wrote
on Jul 21, 2007 11:59 AM
I am FINALLY finishing a throw that's knit in a ripple pattern. It's turned out lovely, but it seems I've been knitting it forever! I hope to start a back-to-school cardigan for my niece as soon as the throw has been bound off my needles.
Vielka wrote
on Jul 21, 2007 11:58 AM
Hi! Thanks for Knitting Daily! I'm finishing up my first pair of socks! (On-Your-Toes Socks in Knits, Summer 2007) Next I'll be casting-on a pretty pink Wrap Top for a co-workers new baby. So it's off to the LYS for something super soft!
Ciao! Vielka in CA
KerryP wrote
on Jul 21, 2007 11:52 AM
Hi!
I just finished knitting the Bonsai Tunic myself and absolutely love it! Take a look at it on my blog here http://sereknittyrules.blogspot.com/
Tip: make sure you cast off the armholes very loosely, or you will find them on the small/tight side. Also, I would suggest that you make it with negative ease, (at least 1" smaller than actual bust size) as it looks/feels better snug. It also looks best when worn over a very snug, cotton/spandex type T-shirt, or camisole. And I mean ?snug?!!! Eg. So snug that you wouldn?t be caught dead wearing it alone, but not so snug that you can?t breathe.

Happy Knitting!
Kerry

AgnesL wrote
on Jul 21, 2007 11:51 AM
Hi, At the moment I am knitting a cropped raglan cardigan from the top, the 4th one I have made from this particular pattern. When I finish (sometime this week, I hope), I will be starting on my "tomato" that will be more like a "blueberry" as I am using a blue cotton/acrylic blend for the main color with a grey colorwork stripe. I have been knitting only about a year and a half so I am a newbie to the craft. I find knitting from the top to be a fascinating way to construct a sweater so the tomato really pleases me. Thanks for all the helpful hints about sizing and construction.
JoeR wrote
on Jul 21, 2007 11:44 AM
Love this shawl design. Having missed the issue it was in, I was glad to have it reprinted. It will have to wait until I finish the baby gifts I just started, however. Along with the blue sock's mate, also put aside for the baby items. (My own design for the shawl, coupled with an Elizabeth Zimmermann baby jacket - possibly the Surprise.) For stretching lace shawls, I made a lace frame (as seen in Mrs. Miller's book on Shetland lace). The extra work lacing the piece to the frame is worth it, in my opinion. I store the components in one of the catchall rooms at home. Take care - Joe R., in Wyoming
Sherry wrote
on Jul 21, 2007 11:41 AM
Sandi, the link to the correction for the shawl seems to be having a problem. Thanks
Mary JaneP wrote
on Jul 21, 2007 11:39 AM
I must say, this Icelandic shawl must be one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. Even the mention of the word "lace" scares me to death, but coveting this shawl might just get me going...
KD Sandi wrote
on Jul 21, 2007 11:23 AM
**** Sandi here, with a pattern correction for the Icelandic Shawl: ****

Mary J. was correct! There is an error in the symbol key. I've posted the correction on the shawl's info page in RED -- http://www.knittingdaily.com/freepatterns/shawls_stoles/Icelandic_Lace_Shawl_165-1.html. We'll fix the PDF next week. Thank you for your sharp eyes, Mary!
JenniferP wrote
on Jul 21, 2007 11:18 AM
My sister's knitting a bunny blanket buddy...in light purple. It's soft.
JenniferP wrote
on Jul 21, 2007 11:17 AM
Right now, I'm knitting two basketweave scarves and crocheting some napkin rings. I'm knitting the two basketweave scarves at the same time, on one needle... there's a great article about it on Knitty: http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall06/FEATextreme2in1.html
FranceenG wrote
on Jul 21, 2007 10:52 AM
Sandi,
LOVE the Icelandic Shawl and plan to knit. In fact, I am looking to buy the yarn for it right now. HOWEVER, your yarn & amounts is a bit confusing. It's a mixed bag of metric weight, ounces and only a hint of yardage for all but the overall yardage! I'm finding it hard to figure out what and how much to buy. HELP!! (I'm substituting for the Maine 2/8 mentioned).
Thanks
JoannaM wrote
on Jul 21, 2007 10:44 AM
I have just finished knitting a swaeter in classic elite silk. for the first time ever I decided that i would properly block the pieces before the sewing together. I did this by pinning the pieces out to size on thick towels then spraying them with water. next stage, letting them all dry,. Then I unpinned and sewed the sweater together. it's the most professional finish i have ever achieved - my learning from this is always, always block before sewing upi, what a difference! Joanna
Calendula wrote
on Jul 21, 2007 10:32 AM
Hi,
I enjoy this page very much. This week I started with a Delta Shawl from Elann.com
Have a nice weekend!
ChristineJ wrote
on Jul 21, 2007 10:27 AM
I have a few things on needles right now. I am making a shaped tee from Lanaknits, inspired by the pattern at the beginnig of knitting daily with hemp yarn, can't wait to see how it washes up. I'm knitting the comfort shawl too also inspired by this website..gosh I guess I love what I see. I finished a pair of socks so I get to start another pair, they usually take me months... but great for taking along while waiting for kids at events.
Cinders wrote
on Jul 21, 2007 10:02 AM
OTN? I have a camisole and lace blouse from 'Beads Buttons and lace'. I'd love to do the Bonsai, but you cant get Berrocco over hear. I've just frogged berroccos Kia-Kia which I was doing in Louisa Harding Kimono Ribbon.
AdrienneS wrote
on Jul 21, 2007 9:54 AM
On my needles right now- my husband's Irish knit in a great brown wool that I picked up at Rhinebeck Wool Festival. I haven't touched that project since May though because who wants to work in wool in July? My 2nd project is Norah Gaughan's Roundabout Leaf Tank from the Knitting From Nature book. I'm using Adrienne Vittadini yard in a wool/silk blend. This pattern is a neat one to follow, but will definitely need blocking! It doesn't look like much now, but I'm hoping it turns out okay as I get further along!
CandaceKane wrote
on Jul 21, 2007 9:39 AM
What's on my needles now? I'm knitting my swatch gauge for my grandson's birthday sweater. It's a Norwegian pattern with bright colorful cars on a bright blue background,
JenniferS wrote
on Jul 21, 2007 9:30 AM
I'm working on a sweater for my 1 yr old son to wear this fall. It's the Little Star Sweater from adorable knits for tots by Zoe Mellor. I subbed Plymouth's Wildflower DK for the yarn and changed the colors quite a bit.
ShirleyS wrote
on Jul 21, 2007 9:07 AM
On my needles right now is a sort of lacey afghan I am bound and determine to finish for my daughter before I start anything else(not counting what is in the closet waiting to be finished)I want to do the afghan Saffron Cables in Interweave Fall 2006 next but if I'm smart for once I'll start Christmas gifts NOW!!
I just Love Daily Knitting!!
Rachel wrote
on Jul 21, 2007 8:53 AM
I'm going to start the Bonsai vest soon too! but I have to alter it...I'm a large on top (after a baby) but still a Small/Medium on the bottom. I have extra increases planned for above the ribbing. What will be your curvy girl solution?
HeatherM@2 wrote
on Jul 21, 2007 8:04 AM
on my needles this weekend- the Mystery Stole 3, Bauhaus Fair Isle (spring 07) and as always, a sock. And yes, all will get attention.
ClaudiaC wrote
on Jul 21, 2007 8:02 AM
There are two projects going at the moment...The Best Friend Jacket from Knitting Experience ; The Knit Stitch and the second of the Embossed Leaf Sock. Hopefully both will be done shortly and I can start a linen towel from Mason-Dixon.
JanT@2 wrote
on Jul 21, 2007 7:50 AM
Currently on my tiny size 2 needles is the checkerboard hoodie from Knits Summer 07. I'm using alpaca yarn in girlie cranberry, pink and white. Just a few inches more on the sleeves and I'll be ready to assemble!
LauraW wrote
on Jul 21, 2007 6:57 AM
I LOVE KNITTING DAILY! (I'm a sucker for a good double entendre.) So, what's on my needles: an entrelac bag. My LYS was having a class at a time when I could actually come, so I invited my Mom to take the class with me. She's 80 years young and lives just 15 minutes away, but between work and other things, we don't see as much of each other as we ought. Now we go to class together and learn entrelac. Can't beat that combo!
Isobel wrote
on Jul 21, 2007 6:05 AM
I am one of the many addicted to lace! Thanks so much for going to all the trouble of printing the pattern for us.Here is the link for the KAL.

Isobel Thomas, Virginia
MaryP@3 wrote
on Jul 21, 2007 3:37 AM
I have three projects going, each with its own time of day: any free time during the day goes to lacey cotton washcloths that I am knitting for my daughters and daughter-in-law to go with lavender herbal soap I bought at a recent lavender festival; while I watch the St. Louis Cardinals play baseball in the evenings (go Cards!) I work on a mitered square patchwork blanket for my son and daughter-in-law; and after the ball game, I knit socks for Socks with Soldiers.
ZeldaD wrote
on Jul 21, 2007 3:15 AM
Whats on my needles?
I've just frogged my first attempt at socks and have size 3 dpns staring at me.
On the size 5's is the second panel of a 6 panel dog blanket which I am using to to practice different things.
The 4's had some experiements from Advanced stiches on in, but are now empty.
SaraJ wrote
on Jul 21, 2007 2:25 AM
Oh, that Bonsai Tunic is about the only thing I thought might work for me, from the spring issue (even then, I don't think it quite goes upu to a 2x), partly because of being disgusted that pretty much everything I liked, only went up to L or XL, at the most (I hope to eventually learn how to adjust things, size them up, but until then, it's frustrating and unpleasant.)

I wasn't quite sure how such a deep neckline would look on me; good, or maybe point right to the thicker parts, or set off the desirably thicker feminine higher parts (as far as society is concerned). So, since you are a bit fluffy too (do you mind that term?), I'm looking forward to seeing if it'll look as good as I hope it will! As well as the train will have been blazed for me in terms of upsizing it, some.
SaraJ wrote
on Jul 21, 2007 2:20 AM
Debra T, That Asia Gold is quite possibly the first shrug I'm going to make!

What's on my needles now, is the beginning of the loooong Pacific Waves shawl cast-on. The beginnings of a vest for my 8 yo daughter, from Knitting For Peace, A dolphin dishcloth, my first fingerless gloves which is my first dpns project, from StormKnits blog (I think), and my main project, soothing, is a felted pillow from Felt It!. Except I'm doing it in Patons SWS, instead of with a fern and such in the book. It'll be nice and stripey this way. It is SO easy to all of a sudden see, wait, I just did a zillion rows!

Even though it is going to be felted, I'm going to need to block the front and back I think (I'm on the back now), because I have to sew them together mostly (leave a hole for stuffing), before felting. And that is best done on blocked pieces, isn't it?

And I'm going to be starting my first pair of socks, if I can find some yarn that has wool, nylon for durability, AND something else so it's more breathable as it stays hot here into the beginning of October.

Oh, going to start learning filet crochet this weekend, too.
whereswoolly wrote
on Jul 21, 2007 2:08 AM
I've just cast on for Sahara and am sewing up a Noro bag but I'm off to Denmark Monday for a Scout/Guide camp so am going to cast on some socks to put in my check-in luggage for the 4.5 hour train ride from Copenhagen to camp each way.
Great timing on the Blocking Queries as I'm giving a demo on lace blocking for my weaving/Spinning/dying guild. Personally I spread blankets over the lounge floor and use blocking wires for the shetland shawls I've done.
MarianS@2 wrote
on Jul 21, 2007 1:31 AM
I'm working on the Dollar and a Half Cardigan, which may have been a terrible choice for my first sweater project... We'll see!
JaniceB@2 wrote
on Jul 21, 2007 12:10 AM
I'm currently knitting up bits of yarn into things like soap pockets, baby booties and such from the One Skein Wonders by Judith Durant. But I've got yarn on order to make up the shawlettes for my sises-in-law for Christmas.
Teddy_laura wrote
on Jul 21, 2007 12:09 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAARGHHHHHHHHHHH!
The link to the shawl does not work!!! HELP
Dawn ;) wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 11:59 PM
Hello,
I've got geeky things OTNs this weekend for "Cozy" trying to use whats in stash. I'm also working on washcloths ~ btw, do you block thoses? Can you tell I'm a newbie. ;D

Thx ~ I'm truly lovin' this adventure. Have a great weekend.

Dawn ;)
Dawn ;) wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 11:54 PM
Hello,

Thx ~ I'm truly lovin' this adventure. Have a great weekend.

Dawn ;)
RobynP wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 10:44 PM
I'm working on the Ballet Camisole from MagKnits and Fifi from French Girls. I also have the yarn for 2 baby blankets staring me in the face, I need to get started on them soon!
SandraW wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 10:34 PM
I am blown away by your ability to track down and make available this lovely, out of print, pattern. My thanks to all the generous, hard-working folks who contributed to the effort.
KathyC wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 10:12 PM
My summer project - I just finished Indigo Ripples and I am working on Mystery Stole 3 currently. I am really considering the skirt from Lace Style also... so many patterns, so little time!
AmyL wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 10:08 PM
I am so excited to be in on the beginning of this great community! I learned how to knit from the internet. Or should I say, am learning. In response to the projects I am on, I am starting The Belted Wrap Jacket by Shirley Paden from Interweave Knits Winter 2005. I couldn't get the lace pattern correct in a gauge swatch, so I just cast on. Has anyone else done this pattern?

Thanks, Amy
Krystal wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 10:07 PM
I'm currently working on Mystery Stole 3 in Merino lace weight, in a light pink color (I just started clue 2 because I had to work clue one twice... I'll never work lace without lifelines again!) and I'm also working on a pair of Dublin Bay socks in socks that rock color lucy, and a pair of Loksins socks in just a plain red sock yarn. Those are the only things I'll be working on this weekend... unless the poor teddy bear I'm making guilts me into working on him....
LindaD wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 10:03 PM
I was wondering if anyone has tried knitting the lace edging pattern using wool fingering yarn instead of cotton? I wanted to use it for a fabric collar edging. Linda D Vancouver,WA
JanieC wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 9:56 PM
I just finished the Bonsai Tunic last week! The bamboo yarn is beautiful and has a nice drape to it. It is a lovely pattern. I do have to say that it looks much better after blocking. I was a little concerned that my stitches looked messy and would need a little touch up work, but after blocking, the yarn sort of plumps up a bit and the stitches are well defined. Good luck with your tunic!
EllenD@3 wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 9:51 PM
This week I am knitting the Kat Duffel bag from Needful Yarns. It is huge!
Also I have a pair of socks ( as always) with lovely yarn from Hand Painted Knitting Yarns and the Laguna Jacket from Zealana Wools. I like being able to switch from one project to another depending on what else is going on around me. Happy knitting all.
DiBlanca wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 9:51 PM
Thanks for posting this pattern and introducing me to Piecework. I just became a subscriber, and I will probably buy the book Three-cornered and Long Shawls, too.
KimberlyH@2 wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 9:46 PM
Hey there! I'm working on the Cuddle blanket form Mission Falls' Wee Knits Too Booklet. Its for my brand new baby girl (3 weeks old!) Its a super fun pattern, definitely not monotonous!
LouiseR wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 9:23 PM
hello...
...well yes...i have a cotton tank top on needles (vogue knit simple summer '07)...it's rather cute...little stand-up cabled-rib collar & front bands along v neck...
...but, of course,...my thoughts have been travelling to an upcoming & i'm swatching a funky "new" (barbara walker vintage!) stitch "waffle brioche"...it's coming...is "forgiving" ie. will let you run afowl without too much calling out..."oh...hello...this is where you've made a huge, horrrible, inexcusable mistake!"

...anyway...i digress...tank top will definitely need lots blocking...so look forward to all your upcoming tips!
cheers,
louise
RosyH wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 8:53 PM
I just finished knitting a pink and black outfit for my cat, Rascal, and now I am starting on my very first pair of socks!
KD Sandi wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 8:53 PM
*****Sandi here, with a pattern alert!*****

Mary J., sharp eyes! I, too, see the discrepancy you are referring to, so it's not just you. Let me get in touch with the tech editor and see what's up. I remember there was something about this stitch combo in particular...

I'll put a note here and also on the pattern detail page regarding what the correction, if any, might be. We will fix the PDF, if needed, on Monday...

THANKS!
LeslieR@2 wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 8:52 PM
Thank you soooo much for the Icelandic Lace Shawl pattern, I can't wait to get started. I am also doing the MS3, the Katherine Hepburn cardigan and a baby sweater. I am a member of the LaceyShawl KAL and have been waiting with much anticipation for this beautiful shawl, can't wait to go to my LYS tomorrow and buy "all my stuff" All I can say is Thanks again and big hugs to everyone involved in getting this pattern out.
KellyN wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 8:49 PM
I am currently working on the short sleeve cardigan (pattern #19) from the spring/summer vogue knitting. I'm loving this pattern. Its working up very quick.
Sherry wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 8:37 PM
Thank you so much for the Icelandic Lace Shawl pattern :-) I have been looking forward to your posting it all week. I am currently working on the Shrug from the Gathering of Lace book. I am using Bucilla Spice-Sport yarn that was given to me by a coworker from the stash built by her Mom. I have a love of lace that just seems to keep growing deeper. For some reason I truly love knitting lace patterns. Thank you for a wonderful blog and as others have said I can not wait to see what is coming next. Oh by the way, the blocking posting inspired me to order my second blocking board. The lace projects I want to do will not fit on just one !!!!! I also am a lover of the Interweave Knitting magazine and want to so badly to learn how to spin with a drop spindle !!! Anyone have suggestions of a place for someone who is very hands on in the learning curve? I purchased a video but still can not seem to make the connection with the spindle, my hands, and my brain. Thanks again for a wonderful site :-)
on Jul 20, 2007 8:24 PM
I'm a pretty new knitter with only a few finished pieces to my name. At the moment I'm teaching myself socks using Sensational Knitted Socks, but I haven't gotten very far yet. I'm having fun, though!
PatriciaD@2 wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 8:19 PM
I really enjoy reading Knitting Daily. Right now I'm working on several things but the two main ones are the Hip in Hemp skirt from the summer 07 Knitty for my daughter made with Elsebeth Lavold Hempathy and the Ribs and Lace Tank from Spring 07 Interweave Knits using King Tut cotton. Bot are turning out to be really great knits.
Jenna wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 8:13 PM
I started the intarsia heart cardi from Mission Falls "Harvest" book. I thought it would be a good intarsia intro, because there's just a band of hearts at the bottoms of the body & sleeves. I've got about 1/2 inch of intarsia to go on the body, then plain knitting. I think I could tough my way through it, but then I remember "there's the sleeves, too!!!" So, Yikes, haven't touched it for over 5 months. Any hints on mustering up the mettle to finish something you just aren't enjoying????
JanB wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 8:10 PM
I'm working on the Summer Shawlette in light blue Cashmerino Aran from Debbie Bliss. Kind people helped me figure out the beginning and I'm sailing along now. I'm also working on a simple sleeveless pullover in an eggplant colored Silky Wool from elsebeth lavold. The pattern is kind of free form as I am copying a commercial sweater that I like. I knit on this project when my hands need to be busy but I can't involve my brain - doctor's offices, faculty meetings, church circle... Jan
on Jul 20, 2007 7:57 PM
As I stated above I'm very excited and grateful for the Icelandic Shawl pattern being republished. But .. is there an error in the key at the bottom of page 5 as far as the stitches that correspond to the number hash symbol # ? The written directions say it is *p1, k2, psso* where the key says *p1, k1, psso*

Could someone verify that I'm not seeing things?
Dene
Peggy wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 7:54 PM
Thanks so much for publishing this shawl pattern. I like knowing a bit of its knitted history and I love its unique appearance. It will go on my list of desired objects to knit - I'll send a photo if I can get to it this decade (my list is long!)
Peggy in Highlands Ranch CO
LaurieB wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 7:54 PM
What am I knitting now? Let's see...
In my upstairs bag - a prayer shawl in Antique Lion Homespun (this is actually being crocheted.)
In my downstairs bag - starting the leg of a sock for the hubby AND halfway through a wool Harry Potter scarf for a good friend's birthday.
in my car - a cotton dishcloth, can never have too many and great for sitting in carpool line.
Only four? Usually I have more.....
PatriciaM wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 7:47 PM
I think this Icelandic shawl is a go for me after I've done a shawl already on my needles.I've blocked smaller things on my freezer top and I've used cork board and also with a styrofoam piece that was usable.Last I've used my bed and also my dining room table.Under all these things I've had heavy blankets to towels for stretching and pinning and soaking up the moisture. Pat
RuthR wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 7:41 PM
I am finishing a Philosopher's Wool sweater, and in so doing, cutting my first ever steeks. This fair isle taught me two-handed knitting, steeking, knitted-in pockets, and chart reading. What a great kit. I have already purchased another because of enjoyment in creating a beautiful and warm sweater.
Mary AnnP wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 7:35 PM
Hi. I am knitting 2 projects at this time. First, a Euroflax shawl in black that I haven't finished for 3 summers. I will get it done while I await the arrival of my Lace Style book. The 2nd is a lacy baby sweater for a newly adopted Chinese girl. I believe the pattern is a Sirdar leaflet. Almost done with both projects. woo hoo! knitgirl!
Martha@5 wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 7:23 PM
Thank you for providing us with this beautiful pattern. I look forward to knitting it with the lacey shawl knit-a-long group. Thanks!
on Jul 20, 2007 7:21 PM
Thank your all of the tips. I've been knitting for at least 23 years now, learning everything I know from my mother... but still far or having her skill. I've shared your posts. I'm happy that others are as passionate about knitting as I am. I've been unfortunately working on a few projects at the same time; knitting, quilting... and well... I have this little blue masterpiece that has been in my knitting bag for quite a while, well much too long? lets just say I have had too kids since I started! The collar is made separate... and well I'm kind of apprehensive about assembling. Being a Francophone makes it hard for me to explain in detail... but the pattern calls for me to use a different wool, then knit the collar and assemble after... anyways... It totally scares me. I can handle cables though. Just imagine that! Any advise? I?ve to get it done before my daughter is old enough to wear it herself!!!
JudithG wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 7:15 PM
thank you so much for republishing this great shawl!!!
VivetteA wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 7:15 PM
This weekend I'm knitting booties to match the Mary Had A Little Lamb Sweater and Hat, and reknitting a Baby Fern lace dishcloth as I wasn't happy with the cast on of the 1st one I made.
AnnP@2 wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 7:14 PM
Thanks for posting the icelandic shawl. It's beautiful and I'm anxious to start knitting it.
CathyR wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 7:02 PM
Im thinking of that Bonsai top too but Ill doing being mine in light green Cleckheatons Silk! Then its onto the Embossed Leaves Socks in some Socks That Rock yarn I recieved from a friend!
Cant wait to source the right yarn for that Shetland shawl though,any ideas?
JanS wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 6:55 PM
I have several things on my needles, but only 3 or 4 that I'm actively working on. Toe-up Koigu socks - I'm playing with different stitch patterns as I go up them. I'm also working on a bag for the Summer KAL CAL that podcasters Yarn Thing and She-Knits are hosting. I'm also obsessed with crochet right now and have 2 different bags started for travel projects this next week! Thanks for the daily jolts of yarn energy!

Jan Smiley
www.jansmiley.blogspot.com
www.jansmiley.com
Minou wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 6:53 PM
I am enjoying Knitting Daily, keep up the good work!
Projects I am currently working on: I have a baby sized Rambling Rose afghan in progress made of Knitpicks Swish yarn, and a fair isle tam made of Knitpicks Palette in shades of gray, based on instructions in Mary Rowe's "Knitted Tams". I'm surprised at how nicely it is turning out, despite what might be thought a bland combination of colors. I am anxious to start the Stag Bag, but need to finish one of these other projects first!
Nancy@11 wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 6:45 PM
Finishing a pair of Monkey socks (hopefully today), thee are a pair of simple rib socks using handspun shetland yarn on the needles and I'm working on the comfort shawl using some more of my handspun, a merino/silk blend. Already ordered the yarn for the Icelandic Lace Shawl (happy birthday to me). I am really enjoying Knitting Daily.
Cathy Dowd wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 6:38 PM
I have two projects going. One is the Te Rosada sweater from Interweave Knits 2004. Instead of wool I'm using bamboo yarn which didn't look right for the pattern stitch prescribed so I pulled out my Knitters Bible and am trying the Lace Mesh stitch instead (wish me luck with all these subsitutions). My second project is a small felted bag of my own design which I'm going to use as a class project for a knitting class I'll be teaching next January. It's very basic so provides a nice break from the more complex sweater stitch.
JulieD@2 wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 6:36 PM
This morning I returned to a failed Charlotte's Web shawl. Last year I made it according to directions & when I blocked it, it was still REALLY SMALL. I envisioned a dramatic, enveloping swirl of color but it was just a little capelet. I blocked it by wetting it and pinning it to some towels on my table but just couldn't stretch a 24-inch center to 38 inches! Months later I got a couple more skeins of Koigu to knit it bigger. Any thoughts? Are there limits to how much a lace shawl can stretch in blocking? Anyway I'm having fun putting even more gorgeous colors in it. Am knitting while waiting till midnight to get the last Harry Potter.
SammE wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 6:30 PM
Yikes! Everyone is knitting fabulous things with wonderous yarns!!! Me? I'm currently working on a brown tweed sweater from a bag of mystery yarn! It's a no brainer pattern with garter edging and a square neckline. I changed it to use circs so it's round and round and round brown! Will be great with jeans and a warm shirt under it when the snow flies! I have a third of a sock to finish, and two baby sweaters, one a gift and one to sell in the lys. It's the PL1 from Leisure Arts. There is a pile of patterns on my table waiting for me to decide which will be cast on when the plain brown sweater gets too boring..... maybe that little crocheted Japanese style piglet....
DebraT wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 6:28 PM
What's on my needles? "Asian Gold" from the Summer issue of Knitter's (is it kosher to mention That Other Magazine here?). Since I live in New Mexico, I'm knitting it with Lily's Sugar & Cream worsted weight cotton yarn. I'm also working (slowly!)on the Faroese Peaks Shawl from KnitPicks. (I started it in late '05 or early '06.)

I'm loving this daily dose of Knitting, although it does make me want to knit when I should be doing other things ....
Rilana wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 6:27 PM
I just finished the Lace Nightie (the IK's Spring 07 freebie patt) and am thinking of beginning a Tomato of my own, in ice blue and turquoise, for fall.
MaryF wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 6:23 PM
Ta DA indeed! As soon as I finish this comment, I'm off to scour my stash for yarn to start the Icelandic shawl. What am I knitting at the moment? Shawls. Lacy ones. Three of them. And I just finished the shawl on the cover of Vogue On the Go shawl book, only I used four different colorways of Kureyon and Silk Garden and edged it in a spruce green wool. It is kooky and fabulous. Thanks for this great newsletter. You gals are fantastic.
SarahF@3 wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 6:15 PM
I am currently working on the Cable-Down Raglan from the Spring 07 issue. This is the first time I have worked with cable. I love them.
KathrynG wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 6:12 PM
What a relief! Charts for the shawl! Yippee!
SandraB wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 6:10 PM
Hi Sandi, thanks so very much for organising the pattern for the Icelandic Shawl. I have printed it out, got my yarn from my stash and am ready to cast on. I won't worry that I have about 20 projects on the needles waiting to be finished. This is such a beautiful pattern. THANK YOU.
SallyM wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 6:08 PM
I am working on a stole from Martha Waterman's Traditional Knitted & Lace Shawls--Children of Lir shawl. I'm using sea silk for it in the natural/white shade and it is mesmerizing!
HeatherA wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 6:06 PM
Thanks for sharing the Icelandic shawl pattern. I too am interested in seeing more pictures of the details of this shawl.

Currently I have three projects on the needles: Cherry Leaf Shawl and Melon shawl, both from Victorian Lace today and both 90% finished. The other project is Monkey Socks from Knitty.com.
DanaH wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 6:06 PM
I desperately want to start my own Tomato so I'm trying to finish a pair of Anise Fair Isle Socks from a Knitwhit's kit. But it's going to be so nice this weekend that I'm going to have to figure out how to knit while floating around on a raft in the sea!
LisaW@2 wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 6:05 PM
Tonight I'm starting "Damask", a wonderful intarsia inspired felted bag from Berroco. Just can't wait!
Lisa W.
CayenneD wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 6:00 PM
Today I started the Swiss Vest from Folk Vests using unmarked red wool yarn from Germany. I'm making the vest for my aunt because she loved the pattern, and she found the yarn while she was in Germany for Christmas last year. She was staying in a B&B owned by a couple she knows. She asked them where a yarn shop was to buy some yarn for me (the only souvenier I requested, of course.) They said the husband's mother had owned a knitting machine and they thought there was still some of her yarn sitting around. The result was a bunch of the red wool yarn just perfect for the vest my aunt liked. I just love it when yarn knows what it wants to be made into. Yesterday I finished a beautiful cardigan called "Tall Trees" from Neat Knitting Projects out of Araucania Nature Wool yarn. It was very fun to knit and reminds me of Loth Lorian elves. I'm also working on the Aran Pocket Shawl from Folk Shawls out of handspun yellow wool from my spinning guild's annual dye exchange.
DigitalDurga wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 5:55 PM
At the moment I have only two active projects, a pair of plain socks in a variegated cotton/elastic yarn (painted mountains from cascade fixation) and the Mystery stole 3 (I'm almost done with Clue 1 for the second time and I know I'm not the only one!) in a mystery yarn. The mystery yarn is a black with subtle purple heather and was bought on a trip to Japan and the label on the bag is only in Kanji! I know it has cotton, and I'm guessing some other cellulose fiber like linen from the way the yarn feels. I doubt there's any animal fibers, since it doesn't make me sneeze!

I've also got a lace scarf (my own pattern) in handmaiden seasilk on the needles too, but it took a backseat for the mystery stole.

This one looks lovely, and now I'm inspired to start thinking about lace curtains thanks to Diane F!
MargeD@2 wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 5:50 PM
I bought some bamboo yarn from Regia about 8-10 months ago with the thought of making socks. I'm now in the process of teaching myself sock knitting with the help of the Yarn Harlot and a pattern I down loaded from the 'net. That came by way of Lion Yarn, I think. I am amazed by how little info there is regarding working with bamboo yarn. I'm still on the first sock for about the fifth time. It finally is beginning to look like a sock I would wear. Marge D.
on Jul 20, 2007 5:47 PM
I'm working on Elann's Sun Ray shawl, which is a lovely fast knit; the yarn is hand-dyed by See Jayne Knit.

But I just finished the Comfort Shawl, using an acrylic/mohair blend. This will be for my seniors' charity boutique, and while I know how to block flat pieces, I don't have any idea how to block something with this much shaping. Mine doesn't lie flat, so I'd love to have some help with the blocking technique.
ConnieM wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 5:46 PM
OTN: a second sock, 3/4ths of the Tangerine Twist from Knitty summer07, a few finishing touches for the Gatsby pullover Interweave Knits spring 2003 only done in cotton ribbon yarn, plus several other in the swatch stage. Some knitting needs to be done in solitude, other in company. Love the Icelandic shawl!
Connie in MD
J. MichelleB wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 5:42 PM
I am working on a knit shawl using an entralac stitch working with vintage Kroy Lady Galt 85% wool/15% nylon in a soft taupe colour. This sock-weight yarn was a gift coming from an estate sale and it just needed to be a shawl but a dense one, not lacey. So I just started with a single square for the entrelac and will keep knitting it into a triangle until I run out of wool or it is big enough. The entrelac is simple enough to do without a pattern so perfect for the park or car (or church) but interesting enough that I have not lost interest and cast something new on.
PamelaD wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 5:42 PM
Beautiful, just beautiful, I can't wait to start the
Icelandic shawl, Thank You so much for sharing this with us!
JanW wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 5:39 PM
I am a beginning knitter. I was inspired to takeup knitting because of my size 12 feet. Pretty lady's socks don't come in size 12 and over the last 50 years I have had to make due with men's socks. No more!! Once I master this sock pattern, I'm going to have a drawer full of pretty socks. Do you block socks? Jan W
annekaelber wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 5:38 PM
I just finished the Huck Lace Shawl (Morehouse Merino Knits) for my sister, who loves it!

I have a major sock addiction, so I have socks on needles downstairs and socks on needles upstairs! I'm not only addicted to socks, I'm addicted to the colors found here: http://perchancetoknit.etsy.com

I've filled an ottoman with sock yarn and most of it is hers!
LindaS@2 wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 5:37 PM
I will be finishing Louet's linen stole - which has been such a pleasure to knit with - a simple fan lace pattern that is easily memorized. The linen once washed (in the washing machine!)is quite soft. Then finishing a pair of wool socks from yarn I spun on a drop spindle - I am a beginner spinner but now an addict. I love getting Knitting daily - I've been a knitter for over 40 years and there is still so much to learn.
ErinT wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 5:29 PM
I really enjoy Knitting Daily! Thanks for all your hard work.

Right now I'm working on the Mystery Stole 3 and the last part of a cuff for a pair of socks.
Valerie@2 wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 5:23 PM
Thanks fo much for the Icelancic Lace Shawl pattern. You have made a lot of knitters very, very happy!
CarolynW wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 5:21 PM
Magnificent shawl. Thanks so much for printing it. Right now I'm working on a Faroese-style shawl (c/o 400+ stitches) and nearly done with it. After finishing a few more UFO's, I think I just might knit this Icelandic beauty for myself. A note on the yarn: I weave scarves and such with this 2/8 wool and it blooms just a bit, resulting in a nice "hand" when wet-finished. Because it has less stretch than most wool knitting yarns, my feeling is that it will be easy to maintain a consistent gauge. (I know, gauge isn't essential here, but it's a little piece of information I thought I'd pass on.) Can't wait to get it on my needles.
RobbynK wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 5:20 PM
You asked about current projects. I'm working on a seat-of-the-pants shawl that I'm calling the Meanderthal Shawl because of the tendency of its stitch patterns and colors to meander from one to another.

Eh, it's fun :)
AnneE@3 wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 5:20 PM
I'm knitting French Girl's Fifi in a discontinued color oro Rowan Calmer - Laurel and the Dream in Color Shrug in their Classy yarn in the color Wisterious -very pretty!
allicats wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 5:20 PM
Thank you for making the directions this lovely shawl available. I look forward to knitting it and also to wearing it.
Krisi77 wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 5:19 PM
The shawl looks lovely, and I hope to do it.. after everything else! I can't wait to see your new Tunic. Myself I have a lace scarf on the needles. The MS3 stole (finished chart 1 onto chart 2 when the new yarn arrives!). Plus a baby blanket. kirsti
Peacepurl wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 5:18 PM
I just finished a modified version of the Lotus Blossom Tank from the berroco bamboo you are casting on for the tunic.. It's yummy and so soft. You will love it.
JennieP wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 5:12 PM
Hi Sandi,

I have three projects on the go - a fine gauge alpaca sweater for me, a saddle shouldered cable sweater for my husband (knitted all in the round a la Knitting in the Old Way) and a cotton lace doily as a gift for a friend. Doilies are so unfashionable these days, yet I have found when I give these as gifts, people are thrilled with them - I do them in 4ply (fingering weight) white cotton on 3.25 mm needles. I block them by soaking in warm water with a tiny squirt of baby bath for 1/2 hr (don't bother rinsing) then lay them out on a folded towel on top of a folded blanket. I pin down the middle, then use this as the centre point for the circumference as I work my way alternatively around all points of the compass. I just pin straight down into the towel & blanket.
DoloresB wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 5:12 PM
All but attaching buttons I have just finished a raglan cardigan,Deborah Newton pattern from Interweave Knit Fall 2003. Knitted in Berroco Touche Cotton/Rayon yarn.
JenniferS@4 wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 5:11 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you for bringing back the thordis shawl! It's jumping right to the top of my to-knit list!
ChristyB wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 5:09 PM
Thanks for the pattern! Someday I will get to it...right now I have three projects OTN: my stag bag (okay, technically it's off the needles, but I need to block it, line it and braid the handle), a plain pair of socks and a Sirdar Surfer top. And I bought several new sock yarns today that I'm dying to get to. Oh ya, there's also my husband's cable sweater that's been on the needles for several months now....
Karen@2 wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 5:01 PM
I'm knitting socks this weekend, working on my Log Cabin afghan since temps have cooled off, and maybe casting on for my Rusted Root sweater. I'm not a monogamous knitter! LOL
KateG wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 5:00 PM
Hot Tomato is waiting in the queue while I finish up the second to the pair of (ironically) Eunny Jang's Endpaper Mitts. They are ribbed in green and the pattern is worked in charcoal and cream, all baby alpaca. The experience has gotten me hooked on fair isle style knitting. I checked out Carol Noble's "Knitting Fair Isle Mittens & Gloves" from the library. Is that the same Carol Noble mentioned in your credits this post?
on Jul 20, 2007 4:59 PM
Thank you SO MUCH for finding this pattern in your archives. It means so much to me to be able to recreate this gorgeous shawl.
LaurieD@2 wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 4:49 PM
Can we say WOOOHOOO for this pattern?
Yes n amen lol
Annalea wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 4:48 PM
My main project right now is the Mystery Stole from the Mystery Stole 3 Knit-along hosted by Melanie of http://pinklemontwist.blogspot.com/

When I can't knit on that, I'm working on doll clothes for my daughter, and a simple lace scarf for when I Must Knit Lace, but can't pay enough attention for the MS3.

I'm excited to see the Icelandic Shawl pattern; I love those colors!
ValA wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 4:44 PM
Many thanks for reprinting the Icelandic Shawl, I am looking forward to knitting it w/ some of my own handspun yarn.
As for what I have OTN right now~~MS3, Print O' the Wave Stole which is almost done, Moonlight Sonata Shawl which I just started, and the Wedding Ring Shawl and that one is an ongoing project, who knows when it will be done.
{O/O} aka Val
KatherineC@4 wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 4:43 PM
I'm just finishing the Sahara tunic sweater from Stitch Diva using Bamboo Garden variegated yarn for the body and a worsted weight raw silk yarn for the trim in the short sleeved version.

It's looking really good and has fit well each time I've tried it on--even though I didn't get gauge at all and had to use the stitch count for 2 sizes smaller.

Also have several socks, the mystery stole 3 and the baby cap shawl from Victorian Lace Today on the needles and counted as WIPS
CarolynC@3 wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 4:41 PM
Thank you! Thank you! for posting the Icelandic Shawl pattern. It may take me awhile to get to it, but when I make it, I'll be sure to send a picture.
LindaB@9 wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 4:35 PM
I love this shawl. This is gorgeous, thanks for printing it. Are there any other views of the shawl with it spread out for a full view?
Thanks!
AnnB@2 wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 4:34 PM
Are there any pictures of the Icelandic shawl "extended" - thrown over a chair, its a little difficult to appreciate fully.
Thanks!! Look forward to these e-mails every day!
Ann Bradley at BradleyAnn1@aol.com
LisaI wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 4:31 PM
YAY! Thanks for reprinting this so we could all work on it!
TaraR wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 4:31 PM
Tonight I'll be casting on for the Ballet Camisole from July 2006 MagKnits. I downloaded the Icelandic Shawl pattern even though it's currently waaaay beyond me. Does anyone have a suggestion for a short, ascot-style lacey or cabley scarf done in one ball of a heavy worsted weight angora blend? I picked up this soft, pretty yarn on clearance and I want to use it to practice my lace skills!
YenjuC wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 4:26 PM
Thank you for posting this pattern! I'm really looking forward to knitting this.

thanks again,
z's momma
ranvaig wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 4:26 PM
Like 6670 other people, I'm knitting MS3. I also have Print O the Wave on the needles, but its taken a back burner now.
Janice wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 4:24 PM
Hi Sandi,

You have asked what's on my needles. I wish there were a simple answer. I have 10 separate projects going! But I just wanted to say thanks for such a cool knitting blog! Keep up the good work!
DianeF@4 wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 4:20 PM
I'm finishing the bottom lace edging on a pair of curtains I designed out of Elsbeth Lavold Hempathy. I knit the main body starting from a provisional cast-on, blocked that out to the correct width, then picked a lace edge that would make it the correct length. First of the pair is ready to have the edge blocked--I'm thinking a "pin and spray" approach will work.
LynneG@2 wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 4:10 PM
Thanks for re-publishing this! I'm looking forward to knitting it.

Lynne
List Owner of The Lacey Shawl
StephaniK wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 4:05 PM
Hi,
I?m working on Bonita Shirt from summer 06. I think I?m finished this weekend.
Stephanie wrote
on Jul 20, 2007 3:57 PM
I'm working on Paton's Cabled Cardigan. It's a bit warm out here in CA, but I had all of this pretty red wool-mix yarn waiting to be made into the pretty pattern.