Lots of Socks--And Lots of YOU!

Aug 3, 2007

When I first came to work at Interweave, I found out that my officemate was to be none other than the one and only Ann Budd, author of one of my most well-loved knitting books: The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns.

I was petrified. They might as well have put me in the same office with Maya Angelou, or Barbara Kingsolver (or the Dixie Chicks, but somehow it's tough to picture the Dixie Chicks in a cubicle of any sort). I mean: Ann Budd was going to be sitting a mere six feet away from me for eight hours a day, five days a week. What if I said something stupid? What if I knitted something stupid?

Fortunately, it turned out that Ann is just about the most down-to-earth, delightful co-worker one could ever ask for--not to mention that it was a little bit like sharing an office with the Sock Fairy. Every time I turned around, she had finished yet one more new and wonderful pair of socks and had them hanging on blocking boards that she pinned up on the wall. I walked past these sockly wonders each time I went to my desk, and I'd secretly reach out and pet them as I passed by, admiring the lovely, even stitches, the intricate patterns, the elegant way she picked up stitches, turned her heels, and grafted the toes closed. It was fun to see how those "bulletin board socks" would later turn up, beautifully photographed, in the pages of Knits, or a sock book, or PieceWork. It was like watching a bit of knitting history in the making.

Anyway, now that I've known Ann for three years, I'm thrilled to get to share her sock savvy with all of you! So, without further ado....

The Ann Budd Mini-Interview: Part 2

Sandi: Do you have a top, all-time-favorite sock tip to share?

Ann: My favorite tip is to count rows from the cast-on row to the beginning of the heel flap, and again from the gusset pick-up round to the beginning of the toe decreases so you can be sure to make the second sock match. I usually place removable stitch markers (or safety pins) every 10 or 20 rows so I don't have to count so much (sometimes I lose concentration). Then I just count markers.

Getting Started Knitting Socks

Sandi: How many socks did you knit in the course of writing the book?

Ann: In addition to the 26 pairs that appear in the book, I also knitted a couple that didn't work out as nicely as I planned and I knitted a few pairs of socks from the toe-up, but we ended up cutting that entire section because we ran out of pages.

Sandi: How long does it take you to knit a sock?

Ann: That depends on the size, gauge, and stitch pattern. I can crank out a pair of baby socks in an evening if I have to. But it usually takes me two to three evenings to knit an adult sock. If I'm up against a deadline, I can knit a pair in a weekend.

Some of the socks Ann knitted for the book

Hold on a minute... How many socks did Ann knit for Getting Started Knitting Socks? I just did some quick math. Ann says that 26 pairs of socks made it into the book. She doesn't give exact numbers for the ones that didn't make it in, but let's make conservative guesses: let's say that two pairs that didn't come out as planned, and oh, maybe two pairs of toe-up socks had to be cut. That's at total of 26 + 2 + 2 = 30 pairs, or 60 socks for one book!!

Let's all take a moment and say: "THANK YOU, ANN!" for all those hours and hours of knitting so we could have so much sock wisdom at our fingertips. Ah, the things we knitters do for knitting knowledge...

Several of you asked for more details of what's inside Getting Started Knitting Socks. Clara Parkes, editor of Knitter's Review, has a nice little tour of the book's contents on her site. You can also use our own nifty online techie widget to take a peek inside.

Knitting Daily Has Doubled!

Thanks to your overwhelming enthusiasm, Knitting Daily has more than doubled in membership since we launched in June. All of us here at Interweave Press want to say a heartfelt thank you to each and every one of you who have joined us on this daily adventure into our shared love of knitting.

Of course, this rapid growth has knocked our hand-knitted socks off here in more ways than one. The Knitting Daily team feels a bit like folks who threw a party for their family, and ended up with the entire town in their backyard! Everyone's having a great time, but we admit: It's been a bit of a scramble to keep up. We haven't had enough hands on deck to do everything we've wanted to do. (It's the strangest thing. I've discovered I can't knit bust dart swatches and type at the same time! I know: Shocking.) On top of that, there are those pesky "technical difficulties" I mentioned on Wednesday. (Think of it as having the whole town show up, only to find that your BBQ is having a hissy fit.)

So for all those who are wondering where the bust dart tutorial is, what happened to this or that improvement to the website, and why we aren't answering all your emails---we ask for your patience! We'll get to everything on our list (and yours!), as soon as we call the caterer, get more chairs, and have a few more folks around to put on aprons and serve the iced tea. (Oh, and fix up that BBQ.)

However ... we've managed to get you a couple of things on your wish list:

Ambrosia Socks

Ta-DA!! You Asked For It!

More yarn information!: Many, many of you have asked for expanded yarn information to aid you in substituting yarns in our patterns. This week, starting with the Ambrosia Socks, we are adding two new pieces of information to each pattern: wraps per inch, and yarn weight ("bulky" "fingering" and so on). We'll be going back and gradually adding this information to existing Knitting Daily patterns (that will take a bit of time!). But from now on, you will find these two additional pieces of information in the Yarn section of each new pattern PDF, as well as on the pattern information page.

More patterns per page: One of the things you asked for most often on Knitting Daily was to increase the number of patterns displayed per page in the Free Pattern Library. There are now 10 patterns displayed at a time. I hope this helps you to browse the library more easily.

Sandi Wiseheart is the editor of Knitting Daily.

What's on Sandi's needles today? The front of the Bonsai Tunic by Norah Gaughan. I've divided for the V-neck, and am coming up fast on the armhole shaping--whoo!

Great Free Sock Pattern eBook:
Knitting Socks with Knitting Daily:
5 Free Sock Knitting Patterns

Need a new sock knitting pattern? Want a great free sock pattern?
I've chosen five of our top sock knitting downloads and put them all together in one FREE ebook for you.

So what kind of sock patterns are in this eBook? Let's see. There's a knitted lace sock pattern, a cabled sock pattern, a colorwork sock pattern, a men's sock pattern, and an easy beginner sock pattern. Something for everyone!

Download Knitting Socks with Knitting Daily: 5 Free Sock Knitting Patterns

Comments

RuthD@2 wrote
on Aug 7, 2008 6:36 AM

I never knitted a sock before, with Anne Budd Getting started, I undestood the logic, it is really a wonderful book. I read it several times, and it is hard to make them without no special yarn, at least where I live. They are so real cheap here, but now I pamper myself with 100% alpaca, or blends, cotton, even I understood now how to make them fit my feet (just a 5 , even here , Chile, is difficult to find my number). It is wonderful.

Does anybody knows if any brand ship socks yarns outboards?.

TIA, Ruth in Chile

SharonL@5 wrote
on Jan 21, 2008 1:48 PM
Need a pattern for toddler size socks with Magic Stripes yarn. Anybody know where to find that? I have adult size pattern.
CindyT wrote
on Jan 3, 2008 3:57 PM
I'm new to sock knitting - have already completed a pair on dpns. Has anybody knitted a pair on the 'magic loop' or on 2 circulars? Which method do you find easier? Thanks!
ElaineV wrote
on Aug 16, 2007 5:17 PM
What a wonderful website and I love knitting socks also.I've just discovered swing needles and am enjoying using them on a sweater pattern in hand dyed wool from Nova Scotia. You have been an inspiration to me to return to knitting and it has helped to loosen the stiffness I have from Parkinsons . THANKYOU.Elaine
BeckyE wrote
on Aug 14, 2007 9:07 AM
I knit both socks of a pair at the same time on two sets of needles, so my work is, well, hopefully, the same on both! I get to borrow the second set of needles from my elder daughter, whom I hooked on knitting many moons ago. We have a lot of fun knitting together.
JulieC wrote
on Aug 13, 2007 10:35 PM
Thanks Denise. I;ll have to try that and get a look at those books you mentioned. I "make" my local library buy knitting books for me. Well not just for me but they seem to always honor my request for them and I always ask to reserve them first. LOL!
DeniseW wrote
on Aug 10, 2007 7:43 PM
Julie, a Dutch heel is sometimes called a square heel. Basically, you work about one-third of the stitches at the center of the heel flap back and forth, decreasing away the stitches on each side of them. The number of stitches on each turning row stay the same, giving the heel a rather square shape. "Knitting on the Road" and "Folk Socks" by Nancy Bush both have directions for working it.
JulieS wrote
on Aug 10, 2007 12:55 PM
W/all comments about socks surprised no mention of military. I started knitting socks again because my son went to Iraq. No he won't wear them with combat boots, but after work they remind him of home. Used thick alpaca,wool,nylon blend. Lots of men and women in Iraq. If you are concerned about shell shock/battle fatigue - send soft fluffy socks.
KathyF wrote
on Aug 9, 2007 7:16 AM
I neverknit socks. It's discouraging how quickly they develop holes. But I think I'll try it again. As a newly diagnosed diabetic I will have a therapuetic reason to knit in
most public places.
dsoike wrote
on Aug 8, 2007 8:03 PM
One Ambrosia sock down and I am casting on the second. Love the pattern - my first toe up attempt. Thank you!
Debbie
JulieC wrote
on Aug 8, 2007 6:27 PM
Thanks Jenni R. for the encouragement about modifying leg down sock patterns to toe up ones. What's a Dutch heel? Sounds interesting. Julie
Anonymous wrote
on Aug 8, 2007 5:46 PM
sorry - the brackets at the end had enclose a Very Big Grin in apology
Anonymous wrote
on Aug 8, 2007 5:45 PM
just a thought - since I discovered toe-up, I do them all that way -- well, except for the one pattern from Vintage Socks: it was knitted with a Dutch heel, and I did it top-down so I can figure out how to reverse that heel - I just reverse the directions. Sometimes that means changing the order of the pattern, it might not look so great done upside down, but it's not much to frog or tink if you discover you don't like the appearance - they're socks, after all, right? I'm sorry that the interest in socks is not universal - can only hope that some other "trick" catches on soon for the fancy of the folks who don't care for socks ()
Eleanor jF wrote
on Aug 8, 2007 2:29 PM
I have just signed up for the daily news. I have webtv and do not have adobe reader. How do I get the free adobe reader? Any help will be so appreciated. eleanor j ferreira
JoannaD@2 wrote
on Aug 7, 2007 8:39 AM
Thank you for posting my comment. I have been knitting for 40+ years also. Alice Gold thanks for the sock pattern will check w/Patons. Mary F caught something in your comment about Lace washcloths please send info to jodaviscreations@hotmail.com. I love this, so good to talk to other knitters. Joanna D
on Aug 7, 2007 6:48 AM
Sandi:
First Congratulations on your exciting life changes!!! I'm an old-tyme knitter who has just opened a knit shop(I prefer calling it a needlework cafe) with my sister. Anyway, I've come to rely on your up-to-the-minute news on the knitting world. I'm writing specifically because I noticed the balls of yarn spilling out of the basket on the 8/3/2007 KnittingDaily e-mail. I noticed the way the balls were wound...and I have a neat 'n nifty way of winding I learned many moons ago. I bet lots of knitters would like to learn it too. Of course there are probably lots who will roll their eyes and say, "get real!" But, hey, I like it, and I've gotten several comments about it. PLUS...the best part is yarns N E V E R tangle with this method. If I wanted to send you instructions and stuff, how would I? Should I just add it to our website? In case you're at all interested our website is www.blacksheepnorthville.com we're very light on the yarn side, but our customer service tea side is kicking...its a long story.

Anyway...keep up the great work!!!
Linda Sparkman
AliciaW@2 wrote
on Aug 6, 2007 9:21 PM
I am knitting the ambrosia socks (though I have redone the pattern to be top down!) and wonder about the needle size--I am getting the gauge specified; but have never knit socks this loosely--I assume it's because of the butterfly stitch pulling in? That part of the sock looks good to me, but the bottom of the foot looks loose--maybe just not what I'm used to doing! But they are pretty!
BethT wrote
on Aug 6, 2007 7:07 PM
Thank you, thank you for adding more yarn info to patterns. I love to look at patterns and think about what yarns I can use, either from my stash or yarn I am wanting to try! This will make it much easier to substitute.
JulieC wrote
on Aug 6, 2007 6:56 PM
I've been a knitter for over 30 yrs, but I've just started knitting socks. I love them, especially toe up. Can't most leg down patterns be done as toe up? Are there any sock books that are exclusively toe up? I also use two circular needles to do my socks, but I can't seem to get a handle on doing two socks at once. Love Knitting Daily, I sneak peeks at my e-mail during work so I can read it right away. Luckily for me my boss knits so she understands.
Elsby wrote
on Aug 6, 2007 6:03 PM
Charlene,
the URL for the Knitty is:-
The princess foot is simply to use reverse stocking stitch on the sole of the sock so that the smooth side of the fabric is on the inside; nicer to walk on.
PegMorrow wrote
on Aug 6, 2007 4:42 PM
I would like to see more information about knitting tow pairs of socks on two circulars. I've tried it and like it since I don't need to go back to the beginning and start a new sock once the first one is done. Why aren't there more patterns using this technique?
CharleneM wrote
on Aug 6, 2007 2:49 PM
Hi elsby, I'm also a diabetic and would very much like to read this article and check out this "princess foot". Would you please post a link or web address. Thanks.
Eeyore04294 wrote
on Aug 6, 2007 12:48 PM
I just wanted to give a big thank you for putting up a post on socks. I find them a quick project and a much loved gift. Everywhere I go, I am knitting socks, and I get so many people wanting to buy them, I can't keep up! Thanks again!!
BonniR wrote
on Aug 6, 2007 11:58 AM
While I love all the great sock patterns, I rarely knit socks top down; I invariably choose toe up patterns.
I wish there was a little ?logo? or ?symbol? in the legend for each pattern with a picture of toes pointed either up or down so I can know at a glance if I am going to have to alter the pattern to be toe up or if I can just print it and commence knitting.

Happy Knitting!
Bee
JodiS wrote
on Aug 6, 2007 10:16 AM
Hi Julia - You can definitely have IK delivered to Spain! There is just a separate link to click on. When you go to the order form at the bottom of this page, you can click on the discount cash offer or you can click on the link on the right that says "other countries: use this form" (but there is no discount or bonus issue!). Hope this helps!
DianaH@2 wrote
on Aug 6, 2007 9:44 AM
Hi Sandi,
Thanks for including the extra help for substituting yarn for socks. Many of us can tell the type of yarn by gauge but those new to knitting would have a difficult time in doing this.
Elsby wrote
on Aug 6, 2007 2:45 AM
I am diabetic and am supposed to wear socks at all times so I knit lots of socks for myself. Knitty has an article on knitting socks for diabetic feet which is very interesting and I will probably make changes to the way I knit my socks such as using Charlene Schurch's "princess foot" i.e. knit the soles in reverse stocking stitch. The article btw is of general interest as regards good yarn choices for socks.

elsby
Eharper wrote
on Aug 6, 2007 2:02 AM
Hooray!! hooray I have one less work in progress! I finished my blue cropped cardi with picot edges and it is so cute! I can't wake my husband so you girls (and guys?) will just have to imagine my happy dance :)Doesn't it feel great to finish a project!?
LaurelZ wrote
on Aug 5, 2007 11:26 PM
This is for all of those who are intimidated by the mention of Ann Budd's finishing a pair of socks in mere days. Never fear, I say, you too can do it if you switch from double points to either one or two circulars and knit two socks at one time. I know, it sounds crazy if you've never tried it, but I tried it and now I'll never go back. It is inexpressibly satisfying to know that my socks are finished, and I don't have to remember how I did the first one. Purists may turn up their noses, but knitting two socks at a time might encourage more people to take up sock knitting, and encourage "lapsed" sock knitters to get back to it. Just Google "two socks on two circulars" or "two socks on one long circular" to access the directions.
CharleneM wrote
on Aug 5, 2007 5:40 PM
I just love the way you slid the Dixie Chicks in there, cool move. I'm an artist by trade, I'll paint on anything, and I sell at numerous craft fairs and my favorite project to work on are socks. I get some of the strangest looks and sometimes comments as I also knit contential style.Four to five needles going at once freaks some people out.I had one lady at a faire last Chirstmas up and stop in the middle of the Isle. My very first sock was a Christmas stocking for my nephew and that was 38 years ago.I haven't had 'any' luck doing Fair Isle as they always come out to tight. No problem when I knit sweaters just socks, any tips would be greatfully received.
on Aug 5, 2007 5:26 PM
I just love the website, it's so much fun. I really enjoy hearing the real life knitting details. It makes me realize how knitters are such fantastically creative and innovative people, and I am proud to be among you! Thank you all for your inspiration as well.
Luv2knit wrote
on Aug 5, 2007 12:12 PM
My sister who I blame for this addiction I have for knitting, also hooked me on socks. Her comment was once you knit a pair you will always keep a pair on your needles. It is so true.
MargaretJ wrote
on Aug 5, 2007 9:17 AM
Is there a chart available for the Butterfly Rib stitch used on the Ambroisia socks? Just looking at all those instructions makes me cross-eyed. I know I can figure it out but if the chart's already available....
RoseT wrote
on Aug 5, 2007 9:13 AM
Thank you for the new sock pattern. I wondered about how well the Ambrosia yarn would wear--no synthetic for strength. Anyone with experience??? I always look for a bit of nylon or polyamid in the blend. I LOVE to knit socks, and receive many such joy from the look on people's faces when they receive them as gifts. I almost always have a sock going along with whatever else I am knitting.
Always looking forward to knittingdaily in my mailbox!
...Rose
MaxineP wrote
on Aug 5, 2007 8:53 AM
I've knit five pairs of socks. I have at least fifteen yarns for more pairs, bought at least five sock books and the first Lucy Neatby sock DVD, so it's not like I need it, but I'd love to get the baseball socks pattern that had been part of the Stitch 'n Pitch campaign. I love this site and am amazed at all the thought and care that goes into producing it; I do hope that choosing the right size to knit will be one of your lessons. That's a big frustration: What if I don't own a garment that is of equal fit/ease or can't tell from the arty photograph what the fit/ease is supposed to be? As knitters, we know that numbers always matter, so how about some tips on choosing the right size from the start? Or even a list of publications that target fitting hand knits?
Alicegold wrote
on Aug 4, 2007 3:37 PM
Joanna re 5 toe socks.

I checked my library and I still have the sock book with the toe socks pattern. It is from Patons and called "Happy Feet". I don't know if the book is still available as it came out in 2002. You might want to contact them.

Alice
BarbL wrote
on Aug 4, 2007 12:31 PM
I'm going to start knotting sicks instead of knitting socks!! Thanks for the (unintentional?) laugh Julia in Sunny Spain.
Sally wrote
on Aug 4, 2007 10:44 AM
There are so many smart, inspiring knitters on this site--it's amazing and I love it. I love to knit, am not very good, have never knitted a sock (but I did knit a pair of mittens--WITH THUMBS--and was oh-so-proud). Then a lovely grandson came into my life and I moved into baby sweaters and cable knit sweaters and the like (the first had arms so long that my daughter could nearly wear it). And now I am writing a mystery book series centering on women who knit together, and when I can't write, I go to this site and am constantly inspired. THANK YOU!
Teresa F wrote
on Aug 4, 2007 10:31 AM
One more note about weaving those twisted stitches - be sure you wrap the yarn on the needle around each of the ladder parts of the stitch - the idea is to secure those stitches so the work cannot unravel.
Teresa F wrote
on Aug 4, 2007 10:28 AM
Steeks are very frightening the first time you do them! But after the first time, when you realize that the entire sweater won't come unravelled, you calm down and realize that they simplify color stranding work. I add extra stitches where the armhole should be and twist one stitch on either side of where my cut will be (leaving a stitch between the twisted stitch and the cut). So in my case it takes 6 extra stitches for a steek - one straight for the turn, one twisted for the weaving, one before the cut, one after the cut, another twisted stitch and one more for the second turn. (If the yarn is very fine, I will make the steek 8 stitches wide because it's easier to sew down.) After you've finished knitting, take a tapestry needle and weave yarn up the twisted stitches to secure them (you can also crochet these stitches - depends on how thick the yarn is which way I go). Then you breath deeply and cut the steek. After it's cut, you sew those stitches on each side down to the inside of your sleeve opening - just like a facing. Then I pick up around the edges for the sleeves or, if they are already knit, sew them on.

Now I have to go look at the magazine for the pattern - I've been looking for a nice colorwork pattern to make for myself . . . .
KateG wrote
on Aug 4, 2007 10:27 AM
Share a cube with Ann Budd? You lucky, lucky girl. Speaking of Dixie Chicks, the way Ann plays out her patterns in multi-sizings is a lot like the grandest guitar riff there is. Rage on, Ms. Budd!
Pine.fiber wrote
on Aug 4, 2007 9:46 AM
This is a fun column and you're doing a great job, Sandi! One request---more toe-up socks! ---Jani B
FredricaM wrote
on Aug 4, 2007 8:21 AM
I love this column!! Even though I have been knitting for 40+ years, there is always something to learn. in he latest issue of Interweave Knit, there is a beautiful, beautiful sweater. But before I buy the yarn, the pattern talks about steeks. I have never heard of them and need a tutorial. Should I practice first?
Help, help.

Thank you.

Rica
FredricaM wrote
on Aug 4, 2007 8:21 AM
Help, help.

Thank you.

Rica
JoannaB wrote
on Aug 4, 2007 7:49 AM
Thank you for the inspiration! The array of free patterns has caused me to dust of my needles!
Alicegold wrote
on Aug 4, 2007 4:02 AM
Joanna, I have a pattern for 5-toe socks. My advice is don't do it, but if you want the pattern, how do I contact you?

Alice G
JuliaN wrote
on Aug 4, 2007 3:16 AM
I'm not complaining either, I love the newsletter and since I've just started to learn how to knot sicks the topic is right up my street! Can anyone tell me when I will be able to get Interweave Knits mailed over to me here in Spain? At the moment its just US and Canada, very frustrating when it looks so good! Julia in Sunny Spain
CindyA wrote
on Aug 4, 2007 1:50 AM
I'm just wondering what's up with the comment on the Dixie Chicks from kathy.
KendraM wrote
on Aug 3, 2007 11:43 PM
I just bought Ann's new sock book, and I love it. I was convinced to try it by Sandi's mentioning that it's not just for beginners -- and I love the layout and the variety of sizes -- it's like a beautiful sock upgrade of the Handy Book of Patterns. Great tips, great pics. (And I own 10 or more sock books.)
JeriB wrote
on Aug 3, 2007 11:38 PM
No toe-up socks in Ann's new sock book is a deal breaker for me. I used to knit all top down but the pendulum is swinging, strongly, toward mostly toe-ups.
KathyB wrote
on Aug 3, 2007 11:36 PM
Sandi--This is the best knitting website there is; and you are making it better and bigger Daily!! I like the idea of the 10 patterns per page. It saves my mouse finger. About the short row heels. I found the pattern without wraps. On Lauri B's heel and toes website. It is called "easy sock". It is copy right Ozyarns but I can't find it that way. You can do toe-up if you start with a provisional cast on a la the Sherman Sock by Mary Sherman Lycan. Hurray for the internet! And thanks again for Knitting Daily.
Adina wrote
on Aug 3, 2007 10:08 PM
This is great! I love socks! They are portable, reasonably inexpensive projects. When you go to a yarn store or festival, you can buy a skein of sock yarn, 'cause that doesn't count, not like buying yarn for a major project! And they feel great on the feet when finished. The downside: they don't survive anywhere near as long as a sweater. Oh, well, there has to be a downside!
Chef Adina
Mary Fox wrote
on Aug 3, 2007 9:45 PM
I am the only person in the world, I know, who will never, ever knit another sock. I never liked it years ago, either their feel on my feet or the work all you gorgeous sock knitters do ending up on feet in stinky shoes. That said, I love slipper knitting and have knit many dozens of lace washcloths that also end up in the worst of places. Keep chatting and exchanging, though, so us wee few sock haters can get out of the sock biz and onto something else! (P.S. I love Knitting Daily and am not usually so grouchy, but the sox-fad jumps up feet first on every website!).
NatashaH wrote
on Aug 3, 2007 9:33 PM
Just wanted to say to everyone at KnittingDaily.com, thank you for all your efforts so far, and I hope we all can continue to make your jobs more on the "fun" side of the catch-up stress!
N.
teresa@106 wrote
on Aug 3, 2007 8:49 PM
Crocheted socks, continued: My instructions say "Next stitch" but which one is that! This kind of thing is not a problem (or opportunity) for knitters, is it?!? Thanks! Teresa
teresa@106 wrote
on Aug 3, 2007 8:45 PM
Some of us who read your missives with great pleasure are not even knitters! I'm a yarn-o-holic who used to weave and have now downsized my equipment very happily to a crochet hook. I would love to know where to get advice on CROCHETED SOCKS! As soon as I get off work/off the computer, I will be turning the heels on my first pair, but the instructions I have are more than a bit cryptic!
StacyB wrote
on Aug 3, 2007 8:44 PM
Sandi, you are the best. I admire your love and determination to make this the best knitting website out there. You've already suceeded in my eye's. Keep up the good work!
KathyQ wrote
on Aug 3, 2007 7:51 PM
Still gasping for air after reading the second paragraph...The Dixie Chicks? Please tell me you were joking. We are knitters of all stripes out here...
CorcoranC wrote
on Aug 3, 2007 7:39 PM
Sandi, Just know that some days WE are overwhelmed trying to keep up with the reading. Can't imagine how you find time to decide on topics, knit for the projects, and put it all down on paper. If only my husband realized how exhausting showing the world how great knitting can be! You are doing a super job!
on Aug 3, 2007 7:09 PM
My socks are from toe up by preference, with short-row heels. Adjustment for thick ankles -- more stitches (add a couple at the "corners" of the heel where the short rows begin and end). I've also snuck in a few across the instep for high arch and diabetic swelling.
CathyR wrote
on Aug 3, 2007 6:55 PM
Oh I forgot to say,I beat a track to the computor each day I get home from work,"Look out MUMS home" and the kids scatter!!! just to read the latest email from you fellas! I have nearly cast on for a new project every day just fromthe inspiration you give,who said knitting is a dyeing art! Keep up the fun!!!
LindaL@10 wrote
on Aug 3, 2007 6:52 PM
I guess it is a bit like being at a BBQ. Some of us are lined up for the hot dogs (socks), and others are waiting patiently for the hamburgers (more lace, please!) In the meantime, we stay busy with our assorted knitting projects and hope we don't spill mustard on anything. You're doing fine; keep up the good work!
CathyR wrote
on Aug 3, 2007 6:49 PM
Dont know about others but I think the heel flap allows more room for thicker ankles and in particular men,had fun trying to get my Hubbys socks to fit over his with the toe up pattern I used!
Anyone else have experience?
JoannaD@2 wrote
on Aug 3, 2007 6:48 PM
have been looking for socks with toes (all five toes)please. I have been seaching for over a year, help. Joanna in North Carolina
KateM@2 wrote
on Aug 3, 2007 6:40 PM
I'm hooked. I bought a copy of Interweave Knits in a weak moment, found Knitting Daily, started knitting socks and I can't stop! I have found a website (www.wendyswoolies.com/ukus-knitting-translator/)
that converts US terms to ones I can understand here in New Zealand, so now I can use the patterns you publish. Now I am looking for mail order shops that ship internationally!
Lain wrote
on Aug 3, 2007 6:12 PM
Since I've started knitting socks (about.. two weeks ago or so), there are a couple of things I've been wondering about patterns I see. Most notably, why do some patterns use heel flaps while some use short-row heels? Is it a preference thing or is one sturdier than the other? And why do a lot of socks only have an inch or two of ribbing and then stockinette all the way down the rest of the leg?
annekaelber wrote
on Aug 3, 2007 6:09 PM
Okay, I give up! I'm trying to replace a flap-and-turn heel with a short row heel and I seem to be short-row impaired!!! Can you point me (us?) to a really good hand-holding tutorial on short row heels (and does it matter if you're starting from the top or the bottom?)

Confounded,
Anne.
SharonC wrote
on Aug 3, 2007 5:31 PM
LOL Okay, Sandi, I understand now. Doubled, huh? Good for y'all! I can be patient. I didn't ask for more patterns per page, but I will certainly enjoy it. Thanks!
TaraR wrote
on Aug 3, 2007 5:15 PM
I for one have no complaints; I think you all are doing a great job, and technical difficulties happen to just about all websites! I am a newbie knitter and so thrilled to have signed up for Knitting Daily during its first week; for once I don't feel like I'm coming in late on all the action. ;0)