THANK YOU and the Eunny Jang Interview, Part 3

Aug 10, 2007

WOW.

How to measure your bust

I hardly know what to say in response to your extremely generous and intelligent replies to Wednesday's post....except THANK YOU. Thank you for taking time out of your busy lives to tell us your dreams, hopes, frustrations, and wishes for sizing in knitting patterns. All of us here at Interweave appreciate your thoughtful responses, and your willingness to tell us about your needs, more than we can say.

Just so you know what I mean by "generous replies": As of this moment, over 7,000 of you have responded to our Sizing Survey (Update: Unfortunately, voting is now closed!), 291 of you have left a comment, and more than a hundred have sent in your thoughts via email. I stayed up late last night to read all the comments, and then I read the new ones that came in today. Your suggestions are already a hot topic of discussion around the offices here!

Here on Knitting Daily, we will be bringing you the results of the >Sizing Survey and addressing some of the topics you raised...starting next week! Stay tuned. And again: Thank you for being such an amazing community!

Eunny Jang, editor of Interweave Knits

Interview with Eunny Jang: Part 3

Let's talk about what's in the Fall issue of Interweave Knits, because I know everyone is really eagerly awaiting your first issue as editor. Can you give us a sneak peek?

Well, the previews have gone up on the Knits website, and the magazine should be hitting newsstands in mid-August. It's absolutely jam-packed with projects and articles. We're stretching within the new format, too, and finding out what it can do – for example, one of the "stories" is all about cables and where you can go using just that one technique; another is about all the many and diverse directions simple textures can take you in. The new format lets us structure these kinds of mini-explorations into a technique, a construction, a fiber – which are, hopefully, satisfying to read and follow. All knitting is like that: one technique builds on another, one element is changed at a time, new possibilities are always opening up.

Do you have a favorite design in the magazine - or is that like having to choose between silk and cashmere?

You've got that right! I don't want to single out a favorite, but I am completely fascinated by Jared Flood's Cobblestone Pullover. It's incredibly simple, but is so elegant in the way those simple textures and constructions are combined - it's as satisfying as a balanced equation.

What do you envision for the next year of Interweave Knits? Can you tell us anything about your plans for winter and spring yet?

We're going to continue exploring all kinds of knitting in all kinds of ways – for example, one story in the Winter issue will explore sleeves beyond the typical, and one in Spring thinks about dressmaker details. We're eventually going to roll out some cool web-based stuff, too. In the end, it's all about serving up really good content for knitters, so of course we'll keep listening and responding to our readers to give them the best possible magazine we can in every issue.

And now it's YOUR turn to ask Eunny a question! Leave a comment with your question, and Eunny and I will choose a few for her to answer in upcoming issues of Knitting Daily!

Sandi Wiseheart is the editor of Knitting Daily.

What is on Sandi's needles today? The front of the Bonsai Tunic by Norah Gaughan. The front is done and on the blocking board! Hooray!

Comments

Patricia JPG wrote
on Mar 13, 2008 10:31 AM
Now that IK has a presence in my the mid-Atlantic, is it safe to assume it will it will be represented at the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival? I'd love to see you guys there!
lolajl wrote
on Aug 14, 2007 7:07 AM
Here's a question for Eunny . . . will we be seeing more traditional knitting? In my case, that would be Fair Isle. I'd like to see people being encouraged to move up beyond scarves, and not be intimidated by color, and to not be scared by knitting with size 2.5mm needles. Plus, this would show a certain Scottish company that people really are interested in having a full range of colors to select from, not what they think sells the most.
Cinders wrote
on Aug 14, 2007 5:01 AM
Thank you so much for being interested in us 'real' women with larger assets! Here in UK 'plus' size is an 18(16 in U.S.A!!!). My own gripe with patterns is that they are not long enough. I like to hide my 3 Buddha bellies, not expose the flab for all to puke over!!! I usually adapt the patterns. adding inches is easy and I order extra yarn.
gaugequeen wrote
on Aug 13, 2007 5:07 PM
About sizing: Why do so many designers think a 42-43 in. chest needs a 17-18 in. cross-back and 18 in or larger sleeve width? I know about grading, but I also see patterns that keep cross-back to 16 in or less, and sleeves to 14-15 in, so I know it can be done. Must be worse for true plus-size women. Jan.
gaugequeen wrote
on Aug 13, 2007 5:07 PM
gaugequeen wrote
on Aug 13, 2007 5:06 PM
Tammy wrote
on Aug 13, 2007 3:51 PM
My problem w/ sizing is I never know how much ease to build in. When the pattern size says, 36", is that a 36" bust + additional ease or exact ending measurements of 36" for example?
CoralS wrote
on Aug 13, 2007 3:24 PM
I also wanted to say that Norah Gaughan is one of my most favorite designers and I LOVE the jacket on the cover of the fall issue! WOW!
CoralS wrote
on Aug 13, 2007 3:17 PM
Thanks for asking for our input! I want to echo what the others said about noting the ease in the patterns. We really need this information! I love the new issue and am ecstatic about Eunny Jang as editor. I have never subscribed to IK because most of the patterns were off the wall and I would just buy an issue here and there. But now I am going to subscribe. Also, I love love love the idea of the articles focused on particular techniques. I'm eagerly awaiting my newsstand copy of the fall IK. And can we just get rid of cap sleeve patterns? I mean really, they only look good on teenagers. Thank you!
Clmd wrote
on Aug 13, 2007 2:13 PM
What might be nice also is a suggested guide to types of yarn patterns to avoid or are ideal for certain kinds of body types. Kind of like if you watch one of those fashion advise shows. e.g. tapered pants are good for a so and so body shape, bell bottoms are good if you are so and so. Looking forward to reading the article about sleeves. On the same note, is there a special type of body shape that looks good in a raglan sleeve. What type of neckline works best?
SANDYP wrote
on Aug 13, 2007 11:21 AM
I have adjusted sizes on sweaters since my teen years. The frustration comes when a magazine offers plus sizing patterns on the cover only to discover that Twiggy would be considered a Plus Size!!!!! Plus size patterns to me come in sizes larger than a 48" bust. How about ones in the 50-60" range. And not boxy looking patterns either. Some nice classics or fashion trend patterns would be nice. I realize that some fashion trends don't look good on large women but then boxes don't either. Thanks for any future "plus sizes" you can add to your magazine.
bricolageg wrote
on Aug 13, 2007 10:19 AM
SIZING! I have knit from the top down since the mid-1980's because of sizing. I knit the yolk, try it on for correct width at shoulder, knit to below the arms (now kniting front & back simultaneously), try it on, add sleeves, trying on for length, back to the body, trying on again for length or until I am out of yarn!
Nancyvanhof wrote
on Aug 13, 2007 9:40 AM
I think articles on customizing patterns would be terrific. I get this question all the time. Also, could someone give a clue about how patterns look on "goddess/real/plus size" women? It is extremely frustrating that there are absolutely no pictures that reflect how I might look in any garment, anywhere in any magazine. Take a clue from the Big Girls book - it is possible to model knitwear on someone larger than the idealized self.
CeceliaP wrote
on Aug 13, 2007 9:19 AM
I love to look at Interweave Knits, and I have a subscription, but I have never found anything I would consider knitting for myself (except socks). I am a size 14 grandma in my early sixties and I would love to find something to knit for myself that is flattering, comfortable and sexy! Almost everything in the magazine is too funky or young-looking for me to consider making.
AnneG wrote
on Aug 13, 2007 7:45 AM
I'd like to chime in with whoever commented about the pattern indicating 'Shown in size 36' when we don't know the model's measurements. 'Sweater shown in size 36 on a 32" chest' would be much more helpful. And it WOULD be nice to see IK sweaters shown on women who are size 14 and up, not the stick thin (although lovely) models you usually feature. Big Girl Knits (by Amy Singer and Jillian Moreno) featured gorgeous normal-sized models; why not book them?
AnneG wrote
on Aug 13, 2007 7:35 AM
Eunny, when are you going back to the original IK format of having photos with the patterns beginning on the facing page? I MUCH prefer that format than having to flip to another page to see the instructions, yarn requirements, etc. Thanks, and best of luck to you! Anne
GillianV wrote
on Aug 12, 2007 8:17 PM
I'd like to see the share your comments button at the point where I discover that I can't read the comments, not at the top where I'm not, as I read. otherwise I'm enjoying reading your daily.

About sizing, I'm like Melissa S, 5' 0" and 42+ in the bust. And I'm 61. I think your survey might have wanted a bit more info for a bigger pic. I can agree with quite a few of the comments made.
Betsy wrote
on Aug 12, 2007 5:51 PM
Hello, I'm 48, only 35" in the bust, don't want to have a sweater that is ultra baggy, and don't want to show off my waist or other anatomical parts between the pants and shirts. I'm really looking for those wonderfully fitted, long sweaters. However, I also have broad shoulders, so an article to teach me how to modify for my shoulders without sagging at the bustline would be wonderful!

I'm currently searching for a pattern for my 14 year old. She is also small busted but long. If I make a sweater for her bust, it's too short. She wants a hooded sweater with a scoopneck to show off necklaces. I want it to be top-down and am having a hard time finding anything close. I would Love an article on knitting for gangly teens! Mine doesn't want baggy, she wants tight like her friends get - but she's skinny!

THanks for listening!
LoisP wrote
on Aug 12, 2007 10:27 AM
I love the bonsai tunic on your site!! Please tell me which issue it is in. I am a loyal subscriber, so I know I must have it already in one of your magazines. Lois P.
AshleyT wrote
on Aug 12, 2007 9:39 AM
First of all, thank you Sandi, Eunny and everyone else at Knits for creating such a wonderful magazine. I'm sure lots of long hours and hard work go into its production, I just want you to know how much your work is appreciated. Knits is by far my favorite magazine, the patterns you select are both challenging and beautiful. I'm very excited for the new issue.
LauraC@2 wrote
on Aug 12, 2007 8:57 AM
I have a 31" bust and an A cup. With a little bit of alteration (usually to do with the waist shaping), the current size range works for me.

I agree with everyone who wants to know the intended ease. Usually I go for the smallest size by default, but sometimes my gauge is off and I want to know if I'll still have ease.

Also, I like that the online preview shows yarn amounts, but it'd be great if it showed corresponding bust sizes and needle sizes too.

Thanks for caring.
ElizabethD@2 wrote
on Aug 11, 2007 11:16 PM
I don't have anything to say re: the sizing issue that hasn't already been covered, but I know that more thanks are always nice to hear.

Thank you for recognizing the need to have this discussion, and thank you for being respectful in your handling of it, as size is a sensitive issue for many women, no matter where on the spectrum they fall.

I have high hopes that this feedback will result in positive changes for the magazine.
SusanS wrote
on Aug 11, 2007 10:24 PM
I enjoy the Knitting Daily news. I responded yesterday to the Sizing Survey but did not add a comment. In seeing today's column I would like to add yet another comment to the myriad of comments you have received. I am one of the small-sized knitters and would like to request that patterns also be given for petite; I am differentiating petite from small because the overall proportions are different than for a tall, thin, small-boned person. Thanks for your conisderation!
DianaT@2 wrote
on Aug 11, 2007 9:28 PM
One of the things I find most puzzling about sizing is that most patterns tell you what size garment the model in the picture is wearing but not the size/measurements of the model. A frame of reference would be VERY helpful.
ElizabethS wrote
on Aug 11, 2007 8:41 PM
well after two weeks away o holidays I find the posts have gone crazy I have read the second lot not the first yet I think that what people relaly want to see is how adesign is going to look on thier body type so maybe show the pattern on two totally differnt size people so small and large are able to see what it will look like Like many other people I would never knit the hot tomatoe if I had only seen the model wearing it but after seeing you different story and I adapt patterns all the time still dont like my figure at this stage but maybe I will have to get used to it as I dont seem to be doing anything about changing the size I am really love reading the posts and need more time to do so and most of my holiday knitting got froggged Oh well shouldnt try and enjoy oneself travelling and knitting when there was so much to see.still working on the shawl ans enjoying that in handspun and dyed yarns. wool/silk/alpaca not real happy with waht i ahve done but hey we cant win them all still love the site and need to read more of it seem to be missing some areas some of the time.
MaryM@9 wrote
on Aug 11, 2007 8:38 PM
I have tried to contribute to the sizing survey - but am asked to enter a username and password when I click on the link. FYI My bust measures 44". My friend, who has started knitting and who I help adapt patterns for, measures "60.
PaulineL wrote
on Aug 11, 2007 8:29 PM
Comment on the Fall '07 issue - lots of interesting colorwork with no multi-colored yarns. Hooray! The hand dyed yarns can be lovely, but I'm not so fond of what they knit up into, and even the good results get tiresome. I prefer the textures and stranded knits you showed. Maybe I'm too old-fashioned.

Egads, you read all of the replies to yesterday's post? I couldn't make it thru all of today's replies. Thank you for caring.
on Aug 11, 2007 7:00 PM
Just a couple of questions for Eunny:
1) since you work in the industry, I imagine that you have a much more far-sighted view of knitwear trends than the rest of us mere mortals. :-) Can you tell us if you see any interesting and/or exciting upcoming developments in the yarn/knitwear industry?
2) how much time do you actually find to knit for your own personal enjoyment (not on something you know is work-related)?
Oh-- and one more question: Do you only knit your own designs or do you knit patterns by other designers?
Gothrabbit wrote
on Aug 11, 2007 6:06 PM
I am afraid with all this focus on providing larger sizes that smaller sizes will get drowned out. I range from a 32-34 inch bust (depending on my current weight), but I am always a D cup, and often the size small in a knitting pattern is too big. One thing I love about IK is that you guys often have a good range of things that will actually fit me. I don't want to lose that.
CharleneM wrote
on Aug 11, 2007 5:46 PM
After contemplating about what whould be a good question for Eunny, I finaly came to one. Is there one article, knit or chrocheted, tht every knitter/chrocheter should have in their wardrobe? Be it a shell, cardi, or what. And is there a basic color group we should be thinking about. After all, we all know about the "little black dress" or its eqivalent. P.S. All the comments about ease are great. Maybe you could include both the models bust and the patterns ease. Adding the hip measurements of both model and ease would also be fantastic.
KimberlyS wrote
on Aug 11, 2007 3:46 PM
I know it isn't quite the same thing, but I'd also like to see more patterns that are flexible in helping choose appropriate FIBERS for the patters, so that us handspinners have an easier time deciding what kind of yarn we may spin to knit the said patterns. Make sense?
AnnF@2 wrote
on Aug 11, 2007 3:34 PM
Need easy knitted patterns for hats to make for a dear friend ungoing chemo for breast cancer. She is only 30 and needs cute head coverings to help her through this devastating time. My skills are limited but some simple patterns. Thanks, Ann
SaraJ wrote
on Aug 11, 2007 3:11 PM
orry for all the run on sentences . . . Also, if a separate publication is considered, I'd suggest that it include not just plus sizes, but petites and a variety of proprotional/frame/clothing size different than standard situations, although plus size would of course be a goodly portion of such a publication . . . also, if such a publication is considered, DON'T, please, DON'T not factor in some of this stuff into IW Knits, as clothing is for everyone, we are all different, and I think it would be beneficial to do so and not have a, oh, IW Knits is just sending the "more problematic fitting issues people's patterns" away to another mag with not much more thought after that . . . . it'd be cool to have a publication dedicated to that, but I believe it's important for every clothing pattern publication to consider these issues.

Also, I don't really think a publication has really considered the plus size pattern providing issue if the plus size patterns don't usually go up to 2x or 3x (going to 3x is a standard minimum for plus size depts in clothing stores; a few brands in other depts or stores go only up to size 20, which is kinda what it seems like some knitting pubs do and have thought providing "enough" in the way of plus size patterns have done; I know that's a bit harsh, but just giving my honest opinion, with appreciation.)
SaraJ wrote
on Aug 11, 2007 3:10 PM
I agree on the adding a silhouette for body shape on patterns that will flatter or at least be neutral (not emphasizing problem area, not looking wierd on that type) for that type; perhaps an icon for those that work particularly well for taller, shorter, curvier, or less-curvy-than, average, too (not to pigeonhole us, but as we've seen in this discussion, there's different aspects to shape and size that sometimes are independent, or somewhat independent, of each other.) I don't mean this last to cover the whole plus size/petite or other clothing sizes subject (with the wide, narrow frame aspect particularly), but to be like the first shape type silhouette suggestion; to indicate patterns that work well for or at least be neutral on, that type of frame (perhaps with low to medium-low amount of adjustments, and if those are needed for a particular frame or even shape type indicated, you could use these icons to indicate patterns where, if accomodations for those weren't baked in to the pattern, you've included adjustment instructions for those, or the designer did as the designer saw such adjustments as a positive thing to add to their pattern, and they did so.)
SaraJ wrote
on Aug 11, 2007 3:10 PM
I know every kind of customization for every kind of different shape and size can't be considered or worked into every pattern, and that there is a great deal to knowing how to customize on one's own.

That said, though, I hope that the above does not keep you from giving some additional help in some cases, in some patterns, for some situations.

Also, I think a regular column (that includes a pattern or two each time, maybe), where you address a particular proportion "problem"; where someone's upper arms are larger than standard patterns (and frequently, even plus size shirts in stores) take into account, and how to adjust the pattern given in this column for that (ie, the pattern in this column wouldn't necessarily need to always have the different proportion "baked in" to the directions, especially if you talk about how to adjust for the area being focused on in that issue's column . . . . thus, the design would work well for others, too . . . . then, of course, sometimes you would probably NEED to bake in the proportion difference in the pattern, such as double/triple letter bust sizes, shorter than average torso, etc. (and I'd guess (not knowing from experience myself) that just a "cropped" this or that, isn't always what a shorter than avg. torso; something with the proportions of the elements and areas of the design used on the front, etc. being specifically designed FOR that situation . . . . . and then, the column could discuss, in this case, how to adjust the pattern for those who have avg length torsos or longer than avg . . . .), also doing a pattern in this column at some point from the longer than avg. torso person's POV, too . . .
JacquelineT wrote
on Aug 11, 2007 2:29 PM
I was expecting more questions on your sizing survey. Specifically, my problem isn't bust size; it's that I'm short (excuse me, "petite"), on the order of 5 feet & wishful thinking. Ergo, anything with waist shaping tends to hang all wrong, and cuffs drag into everything.

BTW, I signed up for your e-mails on a whim, but I *LOVE* them--keep up the great work!
DianeE wrote
on Aug 11, 2007 12:30 PM
First off I would love to say thank to everyone at IK for taking the time to do this website, posts and surveys to find out what their readers want. More importantly to putting out a beautiful magazine that gets better with each issue. As I read through the posts it sounds like we need more information about how to adjust patterns for our sizes as opposed to adding more patterns for smaller or larger individuals. As a seamstress I have learned the hard way that even the "perfect" pattern needs to be adjusted so that it will fit properly and as I am teach myself how to knit know I will need to find out how to do that to my knitting patterns, especially those beautiful ones created by artists such as Stefanie Japel, The Yarn Girls and others.
JeanKnapp wrote
on Aug 11, 2007 11:54 AM
My bust measures 35.5", but am long waisted and have narrow shoulders, so most patterns need to be adjusted. I have found that most of the patterns that are in Interweave can be used by me, if I just READ THE PATTERN all the way through before I even make my swatch and start to knit.
BeverlyR wrote
on Aug 11, 2007 11:00 AM
This is just a shout of THANKS to Eunny Jang for sharing her knowledge of lace knitting on her blog. I'd be all set to begin a lace project except I can't seem to keep track of repeats within a row :( Is this a common problem or am I uniquely hopeless?
lisabee wrote
on Aug 11, 2007 10:33 AM

RosemaryA wrote
on Aug 11, 2007 10:00 AM
my hopes for the autumn winter magazine is that there will be lots of items that tie in together eg cardigan and sleevless top. lots of socks, gloves and funky stuff and fine knits because it never seems to get cold. I also really love making bags with embelishments. But you know what I like because its what you do Rose
LaurieB wrote
on Aug 11, 2007 9:57 AM
OK - here's a tweak to the people that were complaining about socks last week. Socks are very easy to adjust to different sizes and shapes and there are tons of books and websites around that describe how to do it. Just another reason that I LOVE socks.
BeverlyR@2 wrote
on Aug 11, 2007 9:22 AM
One of the problems with so called pluss size patterns is that we are not all shaped the same.

Some of use have wide shoulders,some narrow. Some of us have wide hips, some narrow, Some of us have big upper arms that are not in purportion with the rest of our bodies. I have narrow shoulders, big upper arms,small cup size no waist to speak of and big hips and thighs. It is not just the bigger size that is lacking in pluss size patterns it is the fit, and style too. I do not want to look like I am wearing a afgan, nor do I want to look like I am trying to wear clothes 10/15 years younger then I should

Thanks for trying to make better patterns for plus size women every where, We want to look good too.

Beverly Raznoff
JRT wrote
on Aug 11, 2007 9:09 AM
I wish to speak up for the "mature" knitters. I work as a teacher in a public school. The lovely sweaters with plunging necklines may look wonderful on the young slim models; but I could never wear those styles to work! Please consider alternative necklines in your designs and instructions.
CHoldahl@2 wrote
on Aug 11, 2007 8:02 AM
Hello - I feel badly about writing when I know that you are being innundated with questions and comments ---BUT - I am interested in (1) intarsia, fairisle and other colourwork; (2) pregnancy - I know pregnancy is a temporary state, but it would be so nice to have some nice, not-too-bulky, items to cover the large tum!
Carole, SD
Mary Fox wrote
on Aug 11, 2007 7:30 AM
Lily Chin convinced all the 'matronly shape'women in our class (aka no longer with a teenage body) that knitting patterns should have a shape that curves to the body rather than draping down straight to hide all curves. At first, it's hard to see you body that way after all the years of hiding in a drop shoulder - but now I am hungry for tips to add curves to the straight sweater. Smaller/larger needles, short rows, increasing and decreasing, etc. How about a workshop on which methods work best for which designs? Thanks - Allthejazz
JudyS wrote
on Aug 11, 2007 7:22 AM
I love your ideas and designs. I would like to see more designs that focus on size 12-14 rather than 4-6. I wish I had a size 8 figure but at 59, I am a good 14 and am proud of how I do look. I want my knitting wear to reflect this too!
JudyS wrote
on Aug 11, 2007 7:22 AM
JudyS wrote
on Aug 11, 2007 7:22 AM
JudyS wrote
on Aug 11, 2007 7:22 AM
JaneW wrote
on Aug 11, 2007 4:38 AM
About the upcoming sleeves articles. I don't often wear sleeveless tops, yet I love many of them. Some would lend themselves to sleeves and some would not. I would love some general guidelines on how to make a sleeve for a pattern that does not call for one.
KathyB wrote
on Aug 11, 2007 1:02 AM
Also, please consider that just because a person is bigger around doesn't mean she is taller!!! It is so frustrating to watch things get longer with each size. It would be nice to know if a oiece is fitted or straight ot loose.. Thanks for asking.
DoneeD wrote
on Aug 11, 2007 12:18 AM
I want to second the need for patterns to be sized for small people. I am nervous to try many patterns because I do not know how to size them to fit me. Help!!!
DianeD@7 wrote
on Aug 10, 2007 11:07 PM
As a small person (less than 34 inches in the bust), I sometimes feel it's hard to find patterns also. I know larger women have this concern, but please don't ignore those of us who are smaller. Thanks!
Mary BE wrote
on Aug 10, 2007 10:56 PM
RE: Sizing
Thank you for showing interest in real people's sizing. At age 52, I am no longer the size 8 I was in college. I would be happy just to see a size 14 and be back down to a B cup again! With a bit of discipline, I might. For now I would to be able to deal with patterns (for me) without having to alter all but the chest measurement. Also, I have primarily knitted forgirls and women, but am doing a bit more for men now and needless to say, they are built a bit differently. I hope that your results will help to give me a clue about their sizing so I don't hsve to knit only raglan sleeve sweaters for the men and boys in my extended family. Lastly, Thanks for all the useful info you provide in Knitting Daily. Mary B
JessiV wrote
on Aug 10, 2007 10:48 PM
Umm, 80% of my comments did not post.
JessiV wrote
on Aug 10, 2007 10:45 PM
I think your range of sizing is pretty extensive, typically. I'm not sure why, however, the amount and range of sizing is not more standardized... meaning, why can't I expect to find XS-XXL sizing for every pattern included? It seems like a total crapshoot when I go to check for my size, which is 48".

I have no problem resizing a garment, so I'm not really looking for any info on that tip. However, I think it would be cool do do a series of articles, perhaps, on specific techniques related to different aspects of fit -- for example, different sleeve types, how to do them, and when, or the recent series on adding darts that was featured here.

I emphatically second the comments about ease that have been included to this point. You always seem to include this info in Twinkle patterns, but never think it important elsewhere. It does nothing for me to know which size the model is wearing if I don't know what size the model is.

My main problem I have with fit in your publication is that, though many patterns go up to my size, perhaps they really shouldn't. Many of the garments are designed to look good on slimmer people; or, perhaps, no one. Many times I have looked at a photo of one of your slender models and thought, "Man, she looks like a marshmallow that exploded in the micro and then was rolled in a pile of cat fuzz." A garment that makes the smallest size look fat is going to do nothing for, say, an actual fat person. High concept and knitting-interest-level are but wee components of what I look for in a sweater that I will be spending so many hours of my life working on.
Cheryl@3 wrote
on Aug 10, 2007 10:28 PM
Sandi,
In addition to larger sizes for tops, it would be nice to have larger sizes when you include skirts,etc. in the magazine or for your online patterns. Thanks! I think I speak for lots of hip "hippy" girls! Ooh, pardon the cheesy pun!
BarbaraW@2 wrote
on Aug 10, 2007 10:14 PM
I am very interested in alternative knitting techniques, ie, Portuguese purl and speed knitting techniques. Any chance of featuring these in future issues?
BarbaraW@2 wrote
on Aug 10, 2007 10:14 PM
LisaB wrote
on Aug 10, 2007 10:01 PM
First, thank you so much for seeking our input!

Second, I would love to see all patterns given in the full range of sizes; it's so demoralizing to fall in love with a pattern and realize it only goes to a 34" bust. I'm a 42" bust, so the amount of rewriting I would have to do is daunting, to say the least.

Also, I heartily second the motion that IK feature some larger models every once in awhile. If the advertisers (or whomever) wouldn't accept truly plus-sized models, please do what you can. I'm out here, I'm knitting up a storm, and yet I never see anyone my size in a knitting magazine. Thank God for Big Girl Knits by Jillian Moreno and Amy R. Singer!
MarilynG wrote
on Aug 10, 2007 9:25 PM
Please more larger sizes (I filled out your survey...). If you sit around and knit instead of exercise, you tend to get even bigger....

Another thing I would love is more opportunity to sample yarns--sample pack type things, enough of set of yarns within a theme (yarn guage, color, fiber type, the themes could change from month to month) with ideas for swatches and patterns for that grouping (maybe 5 yarns per group?). It would be fun to see what people did with them too. This would give people a chance to explore more with different yarns and professional (that's you guys) advice. I don't know if a magazine could arrange this--maybe a different yarn company each month could highlight their most popular or oldest or newest whatever yarns by offering a sample pack, A good price range would be $10-20 a month, do you think?
Beth G wrote
on Aug 10, 2007 9:11 PM
While it's impossible to accomodate everyone's needs 100% of the time, it's nice to see a publisher doing a "reality check" with it's readers. Very much appreciated. Most of the patterns that you publish have a size option that would fit me (40.75" bust), but it is nice to have the option of a few larger sizes available. (I try to avoid magazines and books where size XL is for a 38" bust. Pleeeeze!) Off of the subject for a moment - thank you for retaining the WPI feature of your magazine. You're one of my favorite knitting magazines and I look forward to many more seasons of good reading & knitting with you!
ShellieB wrote
on Aug 10, 2007 8:37 PM
Thank you for asking! It's amazing to be asked by such a repected group of folks. :-) I would like to ask Eunny what 3-4 design/stitch pattern/mechanics (all the technical stuff) books were her favorites?
JenniferS wrote
on Aug 10, 2007 8:26 PM
I'm not an IK subscriber. Frankly, I'd love to be, but it hasn't been in the budget. Now that I know how much you guys care about your readers and how hard you work to listen, I'm going to try and find the money! Thanks!!!!
JenniferH wrote
on Aug 10, 2007 8:00 PM
I'm really excited about Eunny's debut issue. & the sizing bit is important to me,too, as a 48 to 50 inch bust & we won't discuss the hips! My fav rant is that "big girl" designs are so with-out style & real fashion clout. I want something I can knit & wear to have people say... WOW! You look great! All too often, designers think we have no figure, either. I'm curvateous & I want to show it off. No, I don't want to bare it, just celebrate it! Thanks. Jennifer
on Aug 10, 2007 7:56 PM
The fit in the shoulders is impotant, too. How about a few more top-down with hints on how to make the lower "half" become the right size within a specified distance.
LauraL@5 wrote
on Aug 10, 2007 7:29 PM
I have found for myself that the sizes provided in the patterns tend to work, BUT the sweaters on the models shown are always the smallest or next to smallest size, never medium, large or extra large. I'd really like to see how these sweater fit larger women in the photographs, not just very small models. By the way, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the latest edition. I was close to canceling my subscription, but this new issue is phenomenal! Thanks!!
PamelaM wrote
on Aug 10, 2007 7:25 PM
For me, I look for garments with very forgiving (ample ) waists. My bust and hips are not the problem, but anything near fitted at the wist will not do for me. For instance, the "Tomato", lovely as it is, would never do for me. Looks great on you, Sandi, with the bust darts!

Pam M
Wendy wrote
on Aug 10, 2007 7:11 PM
Just to re-emphasize a point on the sizing issue that some others have made: Please provide us with suggested ease and/or intended fit! Unless we develop ESP, we have no way of knowing whether and how much negative or positive ease would result in the look in the photo. From there, I know how (and others could hopefully learn from articles) to personalize it for myself, but I've never understood this piece of missing data in IK patterns.

My own body type is tallish, thin, and flat, which does not usually pose a fit problem (though some styles are obviously more flattering than others). However, I do have scoliosis, which has been correctly but still results in uneven shoulders. Thanks to Lily Chin, I finally learned how to custom fit myself around this abnormality, but it would be great if IK could provide info to all its readers about customizing patterns to fit properly. Thanks - I love the magazine!
Tamara wrote
on Aug 10, 2007 7:08 PM
I'm very intrigued by Eunny's statement regarding having articles with a narrower focus, i.e.cabling, textures, etc. I have an art major, but never really specialized in any one technique. This is exactly what my professors always encouraged me to do.

Have you thought of pairing a fiber artist in with some of the techniques? Especially if you can find one who is truly inspired with the angle they use?
KathyV wrote
on Aug 10, 2007 6:54 PM
Sandy -- we should be thanking you for asking all of us for information in the first place! It is a rare thing occasion to be asked for input. I am looking forward to seeing what you all come up with in future patternmaking.
on Aug 10, 2007 6:47 PM
I amazed that a magazine really takes the time to find out the what,why, and how knitters are thinking! Kudos, because I am really impressed and I feel that future magazines are going to be great....and I just might subscribe afterall! By the way, I am 5'5, 44 bust, and NOT proportioned the way I would like!
WarrenT wrote
on Aug 10, 2007 6:46 PM
I have to agree with Eunny about Jared Flood's Cobblestone Pullover. I love its simple elegance. I was all set to begin knitting a different men's sweater, but as soon as I saw the Cobblestone Pullover, my plans changed. I'm glad I got the Fall issue when I did, the timing was perfect.

I love Interweave Knits; it seems to be one of the few knitting magazines that includes at least one pattern for us guys in it. If I had anything that I wished for from your great magazine, it would be for just a few more options for us males. Of course, I do realize how few male knitters there are and you have to direct your content to the vast majority of your subscribers. I appreciate that you at least recognize that we're out there!

Sincerely,
Warren Teachout,
Kansas City, MO
Eliza wrote
on Aug 10, 2007 6:46 PM
I just want to complement you on the fantastic new issue! I really love the patterns. The last few issues were not my taste and I was wondering if I wanted to keep subscribing. I'm really happy with what Eunny is bringing to the magazine. Keep up the good work!!

(and I love that this forum opens up a discussion like this.)
Ruby Weller wrote
on Aug 10, 2007 6:44 PM
Thanks for the survey. My issue is not the bust part - it's a hip issue.... I like garments that fall to about mid thigh & yet fit me with out huge shoulders or baggy fit up top.
JeanO wrote
on Aug 10, 2007 6:43 PM
I have been thinking about the question & the survey. I think you may need more information. Often as we get older, our body configuration shifts - nice way of saying it all drops and we expand. But that is different from someone, who could be pretty young who is carrying a lot of weight and has a large bust. Such a woman will have large upper arms and I would think that a large woman would need a different pattern, not just a larger version of a pattern designed for a small woman. I think in addition to bust size,it would be important to know blouse size and age catagory. Peace J
MelissaS@6 wrote
on Aug 10, 2007 6:42 PM
Hi! I took your sizing survey and thought I'd comment at, you know, the 11th hour. Sorry about that.

Anyway, my problem with sizing is that I'm short (5' tall) and curvy (around a 42" bust). This means that I'm both plus-sized AND petite, which I'll have you know can really screw with knitting.

I find that a lot of patterns when sized up to fit my bust are also longer, and could often be used as a minidress by someone like me. So, I would love to see some info on length adjustment, especially in regards to shaping.
Melissa@2 wrote
on Aug 10, 2007 6:25 PM
SW wrote: "As of this moment, over 7,000 of you have responded to our Sizing Survey, 291 of you have left a comment, and more than a hundred have sent in your thoughts via email. "

Anyone else see a market for a new knitting magazine? Regardless of whether we want to be the size we are or can do anything about it (not everyone can), we still want to knit for ourselves and our generously sized family and friends...
RheaG wrote
on Aug 10, 2007 6:23 PM
I actually think the issue is partly about people's actual sizes and partly about how they understand the sizing given in knitting patterns. I continually knit the wrong size sweaters because I thought I was always a "medium," since that's what I'd buy in a store-bought sweater. Finally I learned to measure one of my favorite store-bought sweaters and then look at the diagrams of finished pieces to determine the proper size. Maybe it would be helpful to have an article on reading knitting patterns to determine your best size - it's surprising how many people don't get this. Personally, I'd like some more wisdom on how to customize sweaters and specifically on the depth of the armholes!

On a side note - I'm very excited about the upcoming article on sleeves - I'd love some more education about setting in sleeves; it always feels like I'm fudging it.

Love the new magazine! Well done - it's fantastic and I have countless patterns dog-eared.
J3SS wrote
on Aug 10, 2007 6:19 PM
Thank you for listening!! I have a 42
Sproutie wrote
on Aug 10, 2007 6:15 PM
please please please provide more patterns in SMALLER sizes! I'm a 33inch and while it seems as though the request for smaller sizes is being drowned out, I can tell you that I too often have to alter a pattern beyond all recognition or, more often, just not make it, as patterns are all too often too big for me.
JanetK@4 wrote
on Aug 10, 2007 6:10 PM
I have another comment on sizing in IK. One of the things that frustrates me is the amount of ease allowed in the garment. If you look through an issue you can see the same model wearing different sweaters. Since the size is listed, you know what size she is wearing, but you don't know how much ease the designer intended for the pattern. So the model may be shown wearing a sweater that I would think would fit me, yet the next sweater is in a size that I couldn't dream of wearing. Knowing she is wearing size 38" doesn't help if we don't know that she has a 32" chest. And it would look very different on my 37" chest.
Rebecca S wrote
on Aug 10, 2007 5:51 PM
THANK YOU Sandy and Eunny for listening to your readers! This is what makes your publication the best in the business. I really appreciate your taking our sizing issues seriously. Woo hoo! I cannot wait to see what the future holds!
SharonC wrote
on Aug 10, 2007 5:21 PM
You go Sandi, and Co.! Having the heart to read all of our comments shows true commitment. Thank you! And although I'm not a petite, or small person myself, I second their request to not forget about them.
CherylB@4 wrote
on Aug 10, 2007 5:01 PM
I have a comment about sizes and what you provide. I, like many in this country now, am a petite size which means I am 5' 2" tall and very slender. I would like to see that area covered or some discussion on how to make your patterns fit petites. Oh by the way I am 62 and weigh 106.