You Are The Reason We Are Knitting Daily

Aug 24, 2007

Ms. Kitty and I say "Thank You"

You people are amazing. In your comments on Wednesday's post you spoke, more eloquently than I ever could, of the reasons we knit in the first place; the reasons we keep knitting; the reasons we start knitting after long absences from the needles; and the reasons why, once you are a knitter, your needles transform your life in ways both subtle and profound.

When we were planning Knitting Daily, I don't think any of us here at Interweave ever expected that you would be the ones teaching us about knitting, by sharing your knitters' hearts with us.

I was going to excerpt some of the beautiful things you all said in your comments, but it seemed somehow wrong to choose just only a few when each and every comment had something touching, and something wise, to say about our lives as knitters. But there was one comment, posted by an anonymous Knitting Daily reader, that kept echoing through everything everyone else was saying:

We are fortunate to be knitters and have healing powers in our hearts and our hands.

From all us of here at Interweave, and especially from me (and Ms. Kitty): Thank you. You have given us all more than you can ever know.

1824 Blouson

Next week is Sweater Gallery Week here on Knitting Daily! As promised, some of the local Interweavers have been trying on three of your favorite sweaters from the Summer 2007 issue of Interweave Knits, and we have photos to show off how these lovely sweaters look on different types of lovely gals! So here's the lineup for next week:

Monday: Mari Lynn Patrick's 1824 Blouson.

Wednesday: Shirley Paden's Oriel Lace Blouse.

Friday: Norah Gaughan's Origami Cardi.

Sandi Wiseheart is the editor of Knitting Daily.

What's on Sandi's needles? I have finished the Bonsai Tunic by Norah Gaughan...but there may have to be ripping back. I'm pondering. New to the needles: Swatching for a Sandi-sized version of the Corset Pullover! Plus, about 6 inches' worth of cables for a new design coming soon to Knitting Daily. Someone asked if this was the ONLY thing on my needles...you caught me! I am the Unfinished Objects Fairy, spreading my little stardust magic over as much casting-on and as many needle sets as possible.

Comments

Donnaspins wrote
on Aug 29, 2007 3:41 PM
I am so sorry to learn about Amber, but I know how art can heal a broken heart. When my beloved Sugar had to be put down my loving husband shared with me a poem from his web page that someone had sent him when his wonderful dog of 14 yrs. passed on. It is called the Rainbow Bridge and I was so impressed with it that I made a clay bridge in ceramics and put the pictures and poem on it. If you would like to read the poem you can see it at http://www.members.tripod.com/papasquirt/id17.htm
PattyJ wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 1:24 PM
I love the kitty too. At some point I suppose I will give in and make it (although I have no grandchildren yet), maybe just for me. I am presently working madly on the lovely jacket that was the summer(?) cover sweater and just bought myself some really indulgent silk/mohair yarn. So although I downloaded Kitty, she'll have to wait for awhile. Patty
Kabira wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 12:26 PM
I haven't been able to keep up with all the comments but in the context of knitting in larger sizes, I wonder if anyone has mentioned www.ample-knitters.com/ - a website wonderful for many reasons not the least of which is their Reources page.
SharonV wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 9:04 AM
From one unfinished knitting project fairy to another, my unfinished projects, all of which I am going to get back to (one day), have taught me a lot about my knitting style: 1) I don't like working with cotton yarn, 2) I knit for the thrill of the pattern and the victory of the piece, but what thrills me varies from day to day and from project to project and 3)knitting is like the buffet table on a cruise ship, so many colors, textures and choices and you must try them all - that's EXACTLY what I do. What doesn't interest me right now might end up being my 'perfect for someone else' piece later. The moral of the story is, stitches are dreams, finished pieces are miracles. And miracles don't happen every day!
Kucki68 wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 2:10 AM
I love the sweater gallery, do you think it would be possible for one in each issue to have this, that would be wonderful.
AnneK wrote
on Aug 26, 2007 6:54 PM
I love the knitted cuddlies--I have been looking for something to knit for my autistic niece and I think the bunny is just the thing. She loves her stuffed toys. Which leads to my questions--she REALLY loves her stuffed toys. Any thoughts on ways I can make the bunny extra durable? Has anyone tried lining their cuddly creature? Is there a particular stuffing that might be best under the circs??
GeorginaR wrote
on Aug 26, 2007 3:31 PM
Sandi - My empathy to you on the loss of your kitty. I pass along words of Ilsa Paschal Richardson which were sent to me by my vet when my darling Patti Airedale passed on. "Grieve not, nor speak of me with tears, but laugh and talk of me as if I were beside you. I loved you so...'twas Heaven here with you." My condolences, Gina Riedinger
KarenB@3 wrote
on Aug 26, 2007 12:08 PM
Knitting has been so many things to me. Most recently it got me through my husband's long stay at the hospital. Then on a trip to Canada, it was a way to meet people. I even got to a Stitch and Bitch in Toronto. Everyone at Lettuce's was so helpful about telling us what to see it their city. It never would have met locals if it weren't for knitting.
ChrisC@2 wrote
on Aug 26, 2007 9:46 AM
Hi Sandi-- Will you be talking about using short row shaping for any of the necklines and arm holes of the sweaters next week? I am just finding out about this alternative and would love to hear how people us it to adapt an existing pattern. -ccl
MayleneC wrote
on Aug 25, 2007 9:18 PM
Love the Cuddlies. They are a great size to put into Christmas boxes for overseas missions.
PattyS@3 wrote
on Aug 25, 2007 5:00 PM
I can't seem to download the carousel horse. I downloaded the other toys, but can't get the carousel horse. Can you check on this because that's the one I really want!!! Thanks!! Patty Smay
PaulaM@2 wrote
on Aug 25, 2007 3:09 PM
Although I'm mostly a lurker, I'm so pleased to be a part of the Knitting Daily community! Thank you for continuing on with the Sweater Gallery. I think it's one of the most helpful ideas ever.
PattiR@2 wrote
on Aug 25, 2007 12:04 PM
Sandi, the story the other day about your kitty and the knitted cat that came out of your experience really touched my heart.
mbrody wrote
on Aug 25, 2007 10:02 AM
I'm surprised that no one else seems to have made this comment, which is - I think your lovely name is singularly appropriate for the author of this feature, Ms. Wiseheart.
Anna MarieC wrote
on Aug 25, 2007 9:55 AM
I love this site! and I love reading everyone's thoughts on knitting. I agree that knitting heals and brings people together. I began to knit 3 years ago and knit every day at lunch. Two of my coworkers took an interest and now we are three. We knit every day at lunch and all three of us say we are now addicted to knitting!
LindaB wrote
on Aug 25, 2007 8:17 AM
Ms. Sandi, I think you have to be one of the best "bright spots" in our knitting world. Thank you for an upbeat attitude and a smile for every day.

Linda Borst
PreitaS wrote
on Aug 25, 2007 7:32 AM
I love IW & I love the knitting daily but I just have a question. When the paterns for the larger sweaters go out in to your magazines (& paterns in gernal) do people actually knit the largest size? I have really been wondering this because I'm a bust of 50 inches. I have no problem with the sweaters measurements, but when pattersn call for 1500 yards of yarn I wonder. I've knitted longer pull overs with long sleeves and never gone above 1100 yards. My gage is spot on & the measurements are working out great. So what gives? Why the extra yarn? It's taking up room in my stash. I'm averaging 3 extra skeins in my stash per sweater.
MarieG@2 wrote
on Aug 25, 2007 5:49 AM
I'm a lifelong knitter with 26 grandchildren so always have someone to knit for; however, I recently started a Shawl Ministry at my Church and have met wonderful new people who have come to share this worthwhile project. The gratitude shown by those to whom we give our shawls is so rewarding and these have included not only people who are ill or grieving but mothers bringing a baby for Baptism and others celebrating joyous occasions. If you are interested in this Ministry, the book "Knitting Into the Mystery" will inspire you.
Marie in the Florida Keys
Halo945 wrote
on Aug 25, 2007 2:58 AM
I love the question "Why did you start knitting". It seems so opened ended to me. I started knitting after my husband had an affair. I thought if I could just take my mind off what happened!! It worked knitting to me is my saving grace, my one good thing I can do for myself and others. I had orginally thought I will knit this scarf and be done like the affair, then it became something so much more. My marriage has healed, my heart has healed and in the end I have a beautiful skill that no one can take away.
GeriA wrote
on Aug 24, 2007 11:38 PM
Hi -Greetings from Canada: I just love the cuddly kitten toy. I am going to make it for sure for my lst grandchild arriving in January. It reminded my of the monkey I had in the 50's. Do you have a pattern for one of those long legged old fashioned monkeys?? Would also like to make it for the baby boy. Love your emails. Geri Vancouver Island Canada
SaraJ wrote
on Aug 24, 2007 10:50 PM
You read my thoughts. I may have humorously suggested the doggie outfit from that issue, but Oriel Lace would have been my serious choice (should I ever get good enough to try it!)

I'm really curious as to how the other two will look, as well, as they seemed to me from looking through the pics online from that issue, as the tops etc. that I, or I imagine many, would be hesitant to knit WITHOUT seeing on more varieties of bodies.

It struck me as I read your signature again today (besides empathizing with potential ripping back on Bonsai), that we need an Unfinished Objects Fairy knit toy/doll pattern . . . with your brown hair, and beautiful face. Wings, too. You certainly lift my spirits when I see the newest posting arrive!
CarolS wrote
on Aug 24, 2007 10:01 PM
At work my lunch time is an entire hour. I always bring knitting with me and invariably someone walks up to me and comments on my project, and then they'll add that their mom or grandma always used to knit, and how much they enjoyed watching them work on their pieces.
Yarn is right up there with food - a great equalizer!
Cheers, Carol S.
Carol J wrote
on Aug 24, 2007 8:53 PM
It is true that knitting is healing to hearts and hands. I have found it to be a great ice-breaker in waiting rooms. It often brings up comments and memories from others about a mother, aunt, grand mother who knit or crocheted. I love being a catalyst for gtting people to share a memory or two.

It is so encouraging to hear that others have many needles with cast on projects just waiting for the right opportunity to be worked on. My husband thinks we ahould all go somewhere for a month or so and get them finished---OK by me--he just doesn't get it that there is something theraputic about casting on and knitting a few rows just to see how the yarn looks, then getting back to it later for a gift for a friend or for myself. Love your publication and the comments that others share. Keep knitting and pasding the skill on to future generations.
DebR wrote
on Aug 24, 2007 8:27 PM
With regard to the anonymous comment from yesterday and the general thoughts of this week, knitters who have not yet read Cat Bordhi's novel Treasure Forest may want to seek it out. I just finished it, and it's very fine.
JoanR@2 wrote
on Aug 24, 2007 7:56 PM
I too was touched by Ms Kitty and have copied the sentiment about "healing in our hearts and hands" into my journal. I was a basket case a year ago after the death of my son Chris from cancer. While I visited a friend she took me to her favorite yarn store and said, "My friend needs a project!!" I bought some lovely manos cotton yarn and bamboo needles and began to knit, often through my tears. Many scarves and sweaters later I know that knitting helped me survive this terrible time and helped me return to life.
Teresa F wrote
on Aug 24, 2007 7:52 PM
I really LOVE the Father Christmas pattern and can't wait to make it! I love old fashioned Santas. The patterns alone are enough to keep me coming back, but please don't stop all the other informative posts. I'm looking forward to the sweater galleries - it's amazing how different these sweaters look on each person. I think if you did that when you put the sweater in the magazine, it would really help the reader figure out what adjustments to make when knitting to help make the garment fit us better. I never knit for myself anymore because it's too hard to make things fit and look good. I have a tiny little waif of a teenage daughter that looks good in anything and, thank heavens, she loves everything I knit for her!
KD Sandi wrote
on Aug 24, 2007 6:30 PM
**** Sandi here...

The galleries are regular, straight HTML--really! No funny stuff, no weird coding, just plain old HTML. We looked into this and discovered that some folks' ad blocking software was blocking the images. Hope that info helps!
KateM@2 wrote
on Aug 24, 2007 6:25 PM
Looking forward to the sweater gallery - but I hope you will be using a different method from the Corset gallery - which many people including myself were unable to view

Kate