The 1824 Blouson: A Gallery

Aug 27, 2007

The 1824 Blouson by Mari Lynn Patrick, from the Summer 2007 issue of Interweave Knits, was one of your top picks for a Knitting Daily Sweater Gallery, so five of us Interweavers, plus the ever-obliging Bertha, modelled the sample garment for you: The 1824 Blouson Gallery.

Our findings: We all loved wearing this sweater. It was comfortable, the lovely dressmaker details made it just a bit special, and the cotton yarn had just a bit of give--but not so much give that we worried about the sweater "growing" on us!

One question I've heard asked a lot about the Blouson is: What size should I make? After seeing this sweater on the Five Plus Bertha, my personal opinion is that this sweater is an excellent example of something that looks great with a bit of negative ease calculated in. If you'll recall, ease is a way of describing the extra fabric that allows space between you and your garments--space for things like moving, breathing, comfort, and extra layers of other clothing. Negative ease means that there is a negative amount of "extra" fabric, so the fabric must stretch to cover your body.

The Blouson pattern is in here!

So to make an example of myself (as usual!): Take a look at the photo of me in the sample Blouson, which measures 36.5" at the fullest part of the bust. I have a 43" bust, and all my co-workers agreed that the sample looked pretty cute on me, even in a size that is two sizes down from the size that most closely matches my actual measurements. In other words: That sample on me is 6.5" of negative ease, which is a LOT of stretching over those Sandi curves. If I wanted something with a little more ease/roominess, I would make the 40.5" size, which would have 2.5" of negative ease--I think that it would probably still look great, without too much bagginess.

But what about gals who are less curvy than me--or more curvy? The 1824 Blouson is not meant to fit as closely as the Corset Pullover, and so it does not have as many opportunities for customization for individual curves. Therefore, your "homework assignment" for The 1824 Blouson Gallery is: As you look at the photos of the Five Plus Bertha in the sample sweater, ask yourself: Do you like the way the 36.5" sample size fits each one of us? If not, what size would you suggest each woman make, and why?

Once you've run through this little exercise, it may be easier to figure out what size you'd choose for yourself. We'll do the same thing on Wednesday with the Oriel Lace Blouse, and on Friday with the Origami Cardigan.

Summer Wheat Tank

This week's featured free pattern is the Summer Wheat Tank, by Lisa Shroyer, the editor of Knitscene and the projects editor for Interweave Knits. Lisa has a passion for designing garments that look good on a variety of body shapes and sizes, and she designed Summer Wheat with an interesting wrap-over panel at the midsection to give the illusion of a waist and curves where perhaps nature has not provided adequately in that regard.

Sandi Wiseheart is the founding editor of Knitting Daily. She is now the author of the popular Knitting Daily blog: What's on Sandi's Needles.

Knit Cardigan Patterns From Knitting Daily: 7 FREE Knitting Patterns

Every knitter has dreamed of the perfect cardigan pattern that he or she might knit some day. From a cozy cable knit to luminous lace, this free ebook will be your dream come true. This is a wonderful and varied collection of cardigans-which is one of the most important pieces in your wardrobe. You'll want to make every one of these knit cardigan patterns, so download your free eBook now and get started (and don’t forget to tell a friend so they can enjoy their own copy!).

Download Your Free eBook Today

Featured Product

Interweave Knits Summer 2007

Availability: Out Of Stock
Price: $9.99

Magazine Single Issue

26 Knits to live by

Comments

on Mar 3, 2012 5:00 AM

Is this "The One"? Rosemary's Swing Jacket It never gets old. One morning every few months

Zaz wrote
on Nov 8, 2007 11:30 AM
hello, i think that the blouson looks best on erin, maybe because of the little negative ease? she wears it beautifuly.
AnnS@6 wrote
on Sep 2, 2007 11:14 AM
In the minority here, I guess -- this sweater looks good on absolutely NO ONE, regardless of size, shape, ease, or age.

The Gallery has done its job, if only to show people how this sweater looks on real women -- and will no doubt discourage many who thought they'd like it for their own.

Sorry to be negative -- very glad for the Galleries, though! AMDS
Clmd wrote
on Aug 31, 2007 12:57 PM
Wasn't a big fan of this when I first saw it in the magazine. After seeing the gallery and reading about the negative ease, it did change my mind. Looks great on you, Sandi!
CynthiaK@2 wrote
on Aug 31, 2007 10:59 AM
These galleries are extremely inspiring. I want you to know I am putting in my subscription to Int.Knits today BECAUSE of your galleries. I used to get Vogue Kn. for years and swore I'd never subscribe to a knitting mag again -- I rarely actually knitted anything from VK! Seeing your patterns on real women has made all the difference. Thank you to all the models, and especially Sandi. I want you to get full credit for my subscription!! -Cynthia K.
redbeardx wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 7:16 PM
Personally, I liked this best on Erin, and I think it shoule be a bit shorter. EJ
ChristineL wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 12:40 PM
I'm shocked that so many don't like this pattern? It was my favorite in the magazine even before I saw the gallery. Yes, it is 80s-inspired but that's what makes it fashion-forward - and yet not so fashion-y that people would stare if I wear it. Hm, I guess we're not just differently sized. What a job you have, trying to please all of us! And yet, keep up the good work :)
Cris wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 11:13 AM
I want the pattern for the scarf in the glam picture.
RabbiWendy wrote
on Aug 29, 2007 6:34 PM
I found this gallery extremely helpful and would appreciate more of these galleries for the garments in Interweave Knits. I think this sweater looks best on the bigger busted gals; it is too baggy and wilted looking to my eye on the more petite women.
RabbiWendy wrote
on Aug 29, 2007 6:34 PM
GJabouri wrote
on Aug 29, 2007 2:54 PM
Hi all - KATHY F: That's certainly a very *considerate* point of view.

The companies who publish patterns in magazines and books are in the business of selling a product - in this case a knitting pattern. What's the secret of making more $$s? To have satisfied customers, of course. If you publish patterns/pictures/info that make it hard for someone to figure out the right size to knit, or that are unrealistic (only "willowy models for example) then you will have less satisfied customers, and customers who are disappointed in your product (even if they tend to blame themselves for lack of skill etc.), than if you make things as easy and clear as possible to them - and in the case of patterns a great way to do that is to tell your customers what size the model is. It's merely about giving information, not passing judgement.

So I really see no reason to feel squeamish about seeing a model's numbers published.
KathyF@3 wrote
on Aug 29, 2007 2:05 PM
I can certainly see why it would helpful for us, as knitters, to know the models' measurements/sizes. But as a woman, the idea of publishing those numbers in a magazine definitely makes me cringe. These are real people, after all. Why don't we ask their weight while we're at it?

Besides, I've found that since Interweave often uses the same models over and over, I can make a reasonable estimate about the ease from the photos and the garment measurement. If model X is wearing a 34" top that looks a little tight in one photo and a 37" sweater that fits loosely in another, I can kind of figure it out. Maybe that's not really any different than coming out and telling us that she has a 35" bust, but it feels more acceptable to me.
BrendaV wrote
on Aug 29, 2007 11:35 AM
This is one of those tops that the hip measurement might be handy.
GJabouri wrote
on Aug 29, 2007 10:31 AM
Hi all, for BECKY N: I just got the latest issue of Piecework magazine (about quilting) it has 3 knitted quilt block patterns in the back.
Blogusername wrote
on Aug 29, 2007 10:27 AM
I'm learning a lot from this site. Thanks.
betsy@60 wrote
on Aug 29, 2007 9:39 AM
Is this an ad to NOT knit this pattern? It's universally unattractive and wrinkled to boot!
SherreW wrote
on Aug 29, 2007 8:51 AM
I really enjoy seeing a sweater modeled by 'real people' with real sizes. I get a much better idea of how a sweater would look on me. Greatly appreciate it!!
KathyF wrote
on Aug 29, 2007 6:44 AM
I am learning a lot from your photo galleries. I think I will be a more successful knitter in the future.
MelissaG wrote
on Aug 28, 2007 10:40 PM
I skimmed through the first third or so comments and now I've got mine: the fit gallery is INSPIRED but the commenter who mentioned a just plain sweater has a point. Wasn't there a corally pink knit to fit sweater?--Perfect Fit IK Winter '01-'02. Do you still have that around for review?
BeckyN wrote
on Aug 28, 2007 8:06 PM
I've been looking on the 'Net for using Knitting to make "Quilt" blocks. Has anyone come across some sites, or do you know of a book that has patterns like that. I have only found one or two such patterns.
Sarah@4 wrote
on Aug 28, 2007 5:23 PM
Thanks so much for continuing to talk about negative ease and your measurements vs garment measurements! I'm so sick and tired of hearing people complain about how the largest size of a sweater will never fit them because it's smaller than their bust size! Most of the clothing we wear on a regular basis has negative ease. I personally am not at all fond of the Blouson pattern, but I think it looks best on you, Sandi :)
Catladyluck wrote
on Aug 28, 2007 5:01 PM
About the Summer Wheat Tank - it's lovely but as one who is thick in the middle I would like to see a reworked design where the draping piece comes from one side attached from the shoulder and underarm/bust area, then drapes up to the opposite shoulder. That would balance me out. How about it?
-Carol J W
EllenF@3 wrote
on Aug 28, 2007 3:32 PM
I love your pictures of featured garments on real people, plus information on their measurements. It is really helpful in deciding what to amke and how it might need modifying.
PatriciaG wrote
on Aug 28, 2007 2:48 PM
Thank you for sharing these photos. I don't think I would have even considered this pattern to begin with, and these photos prove that my judgment was correct. This sweater should be in the maternity section, not on normal women, it even made the tiny girls look like they were pregnant. I like the fact that you give the girls' bust measurements, but why not include their shirt size as well. Is a 42' bust a size 14 or a 16? If you say that it is an 18, then there is no hope for me, because my bust is a 48. I wear a size 18, so I'm confused by your sizing and have yet to see a garment that would fit me and not look frumpy.
srecep wrote
unsubscribe
srecep wrote
on Aug 28, 2007 2:25 PM
unsubscribe
JudithG@4 wrote
on Aug 28, 2007 1:49 PM
Comment on Chanson En Crochet; the capelet pattern. It's been many years since I crocheted, but this was intriguing. I had to break out my beginning crochet books to practise forgotten stitches, but it's a wonderfully written pattern; it came out beautifully! Thank you for listing it in your pattern library. Judith Gordon 9/28/07
AmyP wrote
on Aug 28, 2007 1:27 PM
I just wanted you all to know how much I enjoy Knitting Daily. I have no group of other knitters to hang with or talk to - I seem to be in a class all my own in our small town - but I have you all. I feel a closeness even though we've never met.
on Aug 28, 2007 1:27 PM
The gallery is immensely helpful. Keep it up. Also about the Summer Wheat tank. I could never wear it as is, but it really shows me how cute a tank with a tiny lace yoke would be. That I can wear.
SaraJ wrote
on Aug 28, 2007 12:56 PM
This is awesome, THANK you! Even though, as others, I had no interest in this pattern both before and after seeing modeled so kindly by y'all, I can see the appeal for others. I'm also appreciative of THREE different garments being so modeled this week.This was and is a genius idea. Again, picking up a subscription as soon as I can, in large part thanks to your efforts on our behalf, Sandi . . . I think you deserve a big, PLUSH, raise! Tell 'em I said so, hee hee!Give the purple cat a squeeze for me.
on Aug 28, 2007 12:33 PM
Some day I will figure out the mystery of ease and fit. I've already mastered knitting math, but still have problems figuring out which size to knit. With my bust at about 33.5", and the smallest size measuring 34", that would have been the size I'd have knitted. Now, looking at all of these pictures, I would say that there would be a lot of math involved to make this garment look fitting and attractive on my oh so subtle curves. Anybody have a calculator?
Jan wrote
on Aug 28, 2007 12:31 PM
I think the blouson looks best on all the negative ease ladies, but best of all on YOU, Sandi!

I also agree that this pattern might look better with either longer or shorter sleeves.

And, I thought a blouson had a band that was positioned such that the garment overlapped it, blousing over it, so that the band was not normally seen. I am apple- to pear-shaped, and I try to blouse many things over my waistline, as I think that looks better.
NinaT wrote
on Aug 28, 2007 12:29 PM
I really enjoy the Gallery, too. Keep on doing it, please. I think this looks better with negative ease, but I doubt if I'd ever make it. I'll have to rethink what size garment to make now, I'm so used to trying to not call attention to my out of shape figure.
LauraT@2 wrote
on Aug 28, 2007 12:17 PM
a blouson top is mean to be worn "blousy". it's not meant to hang straight down, but to rest at the hips and have a "full" appearance above the waistband.

Blouson tops were popular in the 80's and one of the worst fashion trends of that time. I know -I wore them!
This top is so ugly I can't believe you are making it up and getting others to do as well.
To be fair, I can see that it is a good example of learning to choose proper size based on measurements of the garment - but hey, it's SUPPOSED to fit loose and blousy!!!! It's not supposed to fit like a skin-tight t-shirt!
WendyH wrote
on Aug 28, 2007 12:12 PM
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!! I really enjoy the gallery pics. I'm a busty girl and normally make cardigans because I never know how pullovers will look on me. Looking at gallery is so helpful to figure out how a sweater might look on me without knitting up the whole blasted thing....only to find out I looks terrible. I'm learning sooooo much!
Tcdknits wrote
on Aug 28, 2007 11:57 AM
I have a quick thought and question. I absolutely love the green sweatervest, on your sticks (for lack of the correct term) that you are making and had thought of making this for my sister. The question I have is how does this fit on a very short waisted, well endowed person. When I initially was looking for something for a gift my sister, who lives in northern Florida, I thought this might just be it. But as I really looked at it I had second thoughts. Maybe I am wrong. This goes back to choosing the right thing to knit and then knitting the garment the correct size.
I do love the pictures you provide and yesterday's was amazing. The pictures were different than I would have thought.
Keep up the great job.
BeverlyR wrote
on Aug 28, 2007 11:29 AM
Thanks so much for the Blouson Gallery photos and info. I was amazed to see that Negative Ease looked far better than did postive ease! I'm flagging today's post for future reference.
Meeb wrote
on Aug 28, 2007 10:59 AM
i must have a slightly wierd aesthetic....i thought the sweater looked best on katie...though she must be comparatively tall, because it still seemed a bit short in the sleeves and body for her.

i'd never make it for myself because i know that bottom band would sit ever so wrong on my butt. i second someone else's suggestion for a hip measurement, too. aren't we a demanding, but affectionate, bunch.
M.M wrote
on Aug 28, 2007 10:51 AM
THIS IS SO EXTREMELY HELPFUL!!! Figuring out ease and proper fit is always so difficult when choosing a pattern. I thought this sweater was cute, but didn't want to take a chance on making something that would look "dumpy" and too oversized. A variegated yarn or different color might greatly improve the drab factor, though.
PhyllisL wrote
on Aug 28, 2007 10:51 AM
Well------I finally understand why sweaters have been so big. The trick of going down sizes (instead of your normal size)makes total sense. Where were you years ago?? I am a long time knitter, however have learned more from your site in the last three months than in the last 20 years.
Thanks for all the intelligent information.
Phyllis
KathleenM@3 wrote
on Aug 28, 2007 10:31 AM
Thank you, Val... I was afraid I was the only one who disliked this sweater (blouson). I can't imagine many women would look good in a sweater that gathers at the hips, and especially in one that looks like it's being worn inside out! I'm all for "edgy" and contemporary fashion, but this sweater is a mess (I'm really quite surprised it made it into the publication!). As for the gallery showing the sweater on different women, LOVE it! I would agree with the suggestion to please show us the back of each, and sides if possible. It's definitely helpful to see the way things fit different body types, and the comments for how to change the sweater to improve the fit are very helpful. Keep up the great work!
JeanneM wrote
on Aug 28, 2007 10:24 AM
The blouson gallery has really shown me that I do not want to make this sweater. Sorry, girls, but just because you can get in it doesn't mean you look good in it. Perhaps I'm hopelessly old fashioned but a little ease always seems more comfortable. The blouson also points up the amazing difference between stockinette and reverse stockinette. It might be interesting to have it modeled wrong side out, that is the way I would choose to wear it and it could make a big difference in fit.
ZellaR wrote
on Aug 28, 2007 10:10 AM
After seeing the 1824 Blouson on Bertha and the other models I was very impressed by how nicely it fit three of the ladies. Karen and Katie should make the sweater in a smaller verison as it would fit them better. If I have enough yarn at home I think I will make it for myself in the same size as the one you modeled so beutifully.
Jybquilter wrote
on Aug 28, 2007 9:56 AM
I love seeing the knitted garments on "real women!" It's encouraging that not all the "models" are skinny, since so many American women are not (including me). So far, it looks to me like both patterns have design problems with the necklines. The thinner models looked like they were wearing their big sister's clothing. After seeing those pictures, I would never make those sweaters.
CynthiaF@2 wrote
on Aug 28, 2007 9:51 AM
The Sweater Gallery is wonderful. Please don't get tired of doing this. I love seeing the projects on different people, including Bertha. You can see my 1824 Blouson at http://knittingbirdnest.blogspot.com/. Scroll down to the bottom to see it. (I apologize if this is not allowed) Cindy Falk
BarbH wrote
on Aug 28, 2007 9:39 AM
Telling the positive or negative ease in a photo makes so much sense. Is it possible to add this to the magazine, where you now say shown in size ----?
Am looking forward to the Origami Cardi - had already thought to knit it with a 1 1/2" negative ease....now will see how that would look.
You're certainly doing a superb job!
ElsaX wrote
on Aug 28, 2007 9:27 AM
I think the Gallery is a great idea, and I look forward to seeing others. The 1824 blouson is not a pattern that appeals to me. I did think that it fitted Erin best, possibly because the sleeves were a better length on her than on the others.
3baddogs wrote
on Aug 28, 2007 8:56 AM
WOW! I never would have made that sweatshirt and yet, it looks the BEST on you and Erin, the bustiest gals. Obviously I have NO IDEA what looks good on me! (huge surprise) This trying on of garments is so helpful. Can't thank you enough. That would look really pretty in a silky wool ... hmmmm the wheels are churning.
LizW wrote
on Aug 28, 2007 8:40 AM
Wow. Even more than the Corset Pullover, I'm blown away by how different a sweater can look on different body shapes. I think this helps me realize that I've been too dependent on what I *think* is my knitted-garment size....every sweater I've made for myself looks baggy and bulky! This time I'm going to find some negative ease -- it's clear to me that it works best for some patterns (including this one).
Ellen W wrote
on Aug 28, 2007 7:56 AM
I am new to Knitting Daily and want to thank you for the excellent sweater galleries! They are so helpful. Echoing the comments of many others, it would be great if IK could use models of different shapes and ages, and also state the amount of ease the designer intended. Thank you as well for the page on how to take measurements. As a 4'11" woman with a bust and hips, it's often hard to figure out which size to make. I would love to see a sweater gallery on the Twinkle sweater in the fall issue. It's so gorgeous, but so hard to figure out sizing with the large amount of negative ease.
SaraV wrote
on Aug 28, 2007 7:46 AM
This is why it would be great if as well as telling us in the magazine "sweater shown is the 34" bust measurement" you would also say "Modelled by Trixie, who has a 30" bustline." Without that, telling us what size the pictured sweater is really doesn't mean much.

Also, this shows that in general, it would be nice to see the sweaters on more than one model. Or, ideally, use a few models who do look more like your "typical knitter"

Having the "Fit gallery" as a website option on *every* sweater, the way you have the additional photos and yarn requirements, would be incredibly helpful.
fischtail wrote
on Aug 28, 2007 7:41 AM
What happened to the Bonsai Tunic???? I would love to see the results of that project since the blocking lesson of the back half inspired me to knit that piece. I've started the front but would LOVE to see the finished tunic!
Beth02116 wrote
on Aug 28, 2007 7:31 AM
Love the galleries with real people wearing the sweaters! this isnt one I would choose to make, but find the explanation of ease and general thoughts on fit to be so helpful. Would love to see the Tangled Yoke sweater on the group- I just cant decide how it would look on someone with curves. THANKS!
erotica wrote
on Aug 28, 2007 7:21 AM
Thank you all for modeling for us. It is a wonderful thing to see real people in different sizes showing us what these sweaters really look like. I wish "fashion" would get a clue and pick up on what you've done here.
CarolMM wrote
on Aug 28, 2007 7:06 AM
Uh oh.
I've got all the pieces of my 1824 knit up, and the bands are on the front and back, and I'm about to put the bands on the sleeves. But what I'm seeing in the gallery worries me - it's going to look baggy and dowdy on me (I knit up the 40" version for my 38-40" bust, my weight's at the top of my usual range right now). I guess I'll have to pin it together and give it a try.
Rebecca@2 wrote
on Aug 28, 2007 6:45 AM
I definately agree with the other Knitters that your gallery is the most helpful and knowing what a sweater will look like on a "real" person, not just a model. The 1824 Blouson - Is it inside out?
LindaR@5 wrote
on Aug 28, 2007 6:34 AM
I agree it definitely looks better with a lot of negative ease into the pattern. The problem is most (if not all) patterns aren't designed small enough for a tiny person to get a pattern with any negative ease. Please do a series on making adjustments to make something smaller and less busty/curvy.
Remington4 wrote
on Aug 28, 2007 6:32 AM
Not to be a suck-up, but the blouson sweater actually looks the best on YOU out off all the models shown. It's very figure flattering. I must say, however, that the pleating on the bottom does not do well for the look of ANYONE'S tummy!
AlisonK wrote
on Aug 28, 2007 4:01 AM
Just as a PS, I have decided I like the blouson best on Erin. I suspect this is at least partly due to the white top she has on underneath, which improves the look.
Still not a favourite design though and definitely not one for me.
AlisonK wrote
on Aug 28, 2007 3:52 AM
As others have said, this is a really helpful device to allow us to see what a garment will actually look like on a variety of women. In this instance, I think the blouson looks better with negative ease, but overall I would also have to say I don't really think it does anyone any favours. As someone with a large bust, I would feel I was heading mono-boob territory if I wore the blouson tight enough, and the sack look if I didn't. On the whole, I think "no" to the blouson.
AliceG wrote
on Aug 28, 2007 3:07 AM
you know, not to knock the other girls, but i'm pretty sure the blouson looked best on YOU! which is fantastic for me, cause based on pics i've seen we have very much the same figure, 'cept i've got about 3" more bust. so i'm going to make one of these lovelies, figuring about 6" of ease.

this whole personal-discovery trip is pretty fantastic... thanks to everyone there for these fantastic galleries!
WeaversYarn wrote
on Aug 28, 2007 2:52 AM
These galleries are such a great way of showing the garments. This blouson definitely needs some negative ease - I think I like it best on Erin, tho Anne and you, Sandi, look good in it too.

For me, I'm just not sure about the poufy sleeves. But maybe the body is a good jumping off point for me. (Now to find a different sleeve...)
Carol Y wrote
on Aug 28, 2007 2:24 AM
I think this sweater looks best on Erin - it suits her curves. I suspect this sweater only works for a few body types. I too wish that pattern sizing information gave expected ease of the finished garment (like a certain other publisher who shall remain nameless here).

Thanks for all your hard work Sandi & models!
JoyJ wrote
on Aug 28, 2007 1:51 AM
I also don't find this sweater flattering at all, even with all the wonderful different body types (Bertha inclusive).

Yet, when you first availed the corset sweater, I didn't think it was something I would ever consider, until I saw it in the gallery.. Bertha sold it to me. It actually looked glamorous, and beautiful and such a stylish sweater.

Please don't tire in giving us different views (sizes & body types) of yur various knits, they are a wonderful eye-opener to any knitter wanting to knit a great-fitting outfit!!

keep up the good work!
HelenD wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 11:21 PM
I really like seeing the sweaters on lots of models, especially Sandi. For years, I avoided negative ease because I thought it would make me look even larger/heavier, clearly I was wrong.
I do a lot of sewing and think the idea of a sloper might help with adjusting patterns to fit. I haven't really thought this through yet, but maybe comparing the sweater schematic with a simplified diagram of our bodies would show exactly where we need length, where the armhole will be too short or too tight, etc.
KristenH wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 11:19 PM
I don't much care for this sweater, but I am grateful to see it on a variety of bodies. I agree with most that it looks better tighter than looser. Regarding some of the comments I've been seeing, I think you need a bright red reminder banner that bra band size is NOT the same as bust measurement. (I actually wonder how many made this mistake for the size survey.) Perhaps you need to add that to the notes at the end of each issue too?
RonaS wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 11:12 PM
I certainly wasn't drawn to this particular pattern when seen in the magazine. I definitly won't bother with it now. Although it looked much better with negative ease, the sleeves and neckline failed to garner much attention. I thought it still looked like a bag. I'm afraid the Corset top was unappealing also, looking much better on a willowy person.Keep up the great work though. The fitting information is greatly helpful to a knitter with moderate skills, like myself. I'll keep watching for more. I'm thinking the summer Wheat Top is slightly more flattering, while still hiding some faults.
VirgadeanR wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 10:54 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you, for showing the designs on different shaped people! I am closest to Sandi so mostly I will look to see how designs fit her. I have WAY too many UFO's so I am VERY grateful I don't like the blouson top, it just looks like an inside out sweatshirt to me.
SandraB wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 10:19 PM
Sorry, but I don't like this pattern at all and I don't think it's flattering on anyone. However, I do LOVE the galleries - they are fun and informative. After your Corset Gals gallery and your suggestions on how to alter the pattern for various body types, I have decided to take on the challenge and see if I can knit it for myself and make it look good :-)
SelmaW wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 10:17 PM
It is incredibly helpful to see the same sweater on different size models, to know their measurements and the amount of ease. Knowing this informatiuon will assure my sweater fits as I want it to. Thank you.

Selma
PattiG wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 10:03 PM
I made this for one of my daughters in bust size 40 1/2" whose actual bust is 42". It turned out great and looks wonderful on her. My other dd is 39" and it looked good on her too. I'm making another one in a different color for her. We all love this pattern.

Patti
on Aug 27, 2007 9:56 PM
...and I don't even like blousons, due to the fact that they are "supposed" to fit like potato sacks with bands on the bottom-- as someone else pointed out. However, I think departing from the "supposed to" here is a definite improvement.
knittingbox wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 9:55 PM
I found this gallery very helpful. I never really trusted the negative ease thing, until now! Sandi I think it looks best on you!! And thanks to those pics I am going to make some changes to the sweater I am currently knitting.

Again, thanks very much, this was so very helpful!
on Aug 27, 2007 9:50 PM
I definitely agree that this garment looks best with negative ease: I think that Erin and Anne looked best in it, although Sandi also looked good (but as a busty gal myself, I would probably not knit myself a garment that incorporated that much negative ease; probably about 3-4" max.
I am interested, however, to find out what would happen to the armscyes (sp?) when knitting with more than 1-2 inches negative ease. It does seem that it might restrict movement considerably, especially when the garment has set-in or raglan sleeves (drop shoulders are on my verboten list, again due to the bustiness.)
Toni wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 9:42 PM
I agree with Val about the overall design: ick. It looks sloppy and tatty on everyone. I mean, if it looks like a gathered-at-the-bottom sack with seams on a model, how could it look good on anyone??

Thanks for taking the time and making the effort to show different body types and sizes, though. It's a trend that I'd like to see continue... and spread to others who design or review patterns and garments.
RebeccaS wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 9:30 PM
Love the galleries. Keep 'em coming!
AnneB@2 wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 9:25 PM
Love reading the newsletter. Thanks for thinking of us who are not 18 or tall/thin anymore. The discussion of ease and fit has been enlightening.
JoanneP wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 9:19 PM
While you're speaking of measurements, why don't you ask a brassiere company to come fit your models?

Properly fitted brassieres would help all the models look better in this, and any other, sweater.

Don't we knit lovely sweaters to become us?

Joanne P.
MargaretN@3 wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 8:59 PM
While I have enjoyed the galleries with the various sweaters worn by different women it has reinforced my feelings that you can do everything right when knitting a sweater and still have no idea what it will look like when you put it on.
JacquelynL wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 8:39 PM
Your photos and explanations were very helpful. I just finished my version of the Blouson and love it. Casual, loose fitting, comfortable...like a sweatshirt. And now I have the information to "fine-tune" other patterns too. Thanks for this wonderful web site. I LOVE IT.
Jacquie
Westozcaat wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 8:36 PM
Hi Sandy
I must admit I had negative ease- feelings about this jumper when I saw it in the magazine. But, on you and erin it looks fantastic. I agree with you in saying it needs the negative ease to give it a bit of oomph. Oh well, now I can add another project to the list
LillianG wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 8:36 PM
I like the fit on Anne the best I think. I can't decide if the sleeve fit is really better, or if it's just the posture. Erin a close second, but I'd make the sleeve a size smaller, I think. (and I hope this goes through, I've lost it 3x already)
EricaC wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 8:35 PM
Thank you for doing this. I feel silly for saying this, but it would NEVER EVER have occurred to me to knit a garment with negative ease - I'm a size 16 and have been SO conditioned by the fashion industry that "fat girls need to hide themselves away in tents." So I've been assiduously making 44" and 46" sized sweaters - oh, I'm happy with them, most of the time - but seeing the sweaters on models closer to my size, with negative ease, was a revelation.
LillianG wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 8:35 PM
I think it I like it best on Anne, but I can't tell how the sleeve fits compared to everybody else - she's standing in a different posture. Erin's my second place, but I think the sleeves need to be a size smaller on her, the body fits fine. I post hypothetical changes I'd make to the Corset Sweater on my blog, and I used different sizes for the body and the sleeves, I wouldn't be surprised if I'd do the same hypothetical mix&match on this sweater too.
HeatherH wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 7:57 PM
it's really cool to see the same item on different women. i'm not a big fan of the blousen (you're not alone val h and kate e!) but i like seeing how the fit differs. Erin seemed to wear it best. it wasn't too baggy, but it looked comfortable even with the negative ease.
i'm looking forward to the oriel lace top, as i remember trying to figure out from the pics if it would look good on me.
SusanE wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 7:48 PM
I agree with your comment regarding negative ease-seems to look best on the 40-41 inch busted ladies. My other observation is that the sleeve length and diameter seem awkward on most of the models. A restyled cuff and a bit more taper as well as careful attention to arm length may help that.
PaulineL wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 7:42 PM
It's a revelation to see how the sweater looks so different depending on ease. Even the neckline improves, doesn't bag, with negative ease on the curvier models, while the blousing at the hip still looks OK. None of the models could make the baggy sleeves look good, though Erin's long undersleeves helped. Thank you so much for the galleries.
LisaK wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 7:40 PM
This is regarding the Summer Wheat Tank. This is so cool...I actually saw this tank in person at the Colorado Rockies Stitch 'n Pitch event last month. It was sitting right behind me (on an Interweave employee's body of course). Now I find out it's a free pattern. How cool is that?!
ShannonG wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 7:33 PM
I really enjoy seeing these sweaters etc on REAL people. I must admit the 1824 sweater is not very flattering. I know I wouldn't ever make it. However, would like to continue seeing more patterns on real people.
Peacecat30 wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 7:19 PM
Thanks for posting the 1824 Blouson Gallery. It is absolutely fabulous to see how a garment of one size looks on so many different body types. I always tend to choose a size with some positive ease. But seeing how good this looks with a little hug to it, I'm starting to change my mind.
CherylF wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 7:16 PM
Thanks so much for the views, very helpful! I happen to be in the "don't care for it" camp, but to each his own! I have no bust, and I don't think this would look flattering on me at all. Still, I love the gallery concept, so THANKS!!
GailR wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 7:08 PM
I too love seeing the sweaters on live, various sized models. I also agree with the idea that you go to a basic garment and start from there.
It would also help a bit if we knew what the designer wanted the ease to be - unless you always model the sweaters on the designed-for sizing.
Pam@2 wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 7:05 PM
When I look at a style like this, I"m not just concerned about my bust measurement -- being quite pear-shaped, my hip measurement can matter too.

Any pears in your try-on gang?
DonavanB wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 6:59 PM
I love Gabriele's siz descroptions; "small, medium, plush". I like the blouson best on Erin with 1.5 negative ease. I am also in agreement with the camp that finds bottom bands unflattering on nearly every body type.
MoiraW wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 6:51 PM
I love the idea of checking what a design would look like on my size body so keep up the gallery. But for my mind I see no point in 3/4 sleeves in any garment.
GerriT wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 6:51 PM
I enjoyed watching Kathleen Sams demonstrate Motif Mania on Needle Arts so I came to this website to download the free directions. It refers to a chart to be downloaded as a PDF file, but I can't find it anywhere on the page! Help!
DianeK@3 wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 6:41 PM
Thank you so much for showing the same garment on different gals. It is very very helpful.
Diane
ElizabethK@3 wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 6:34 PM
I'm not wild about this pattern - but I really like seeing how these garments look on such a variety of body sizes and types. this really helps me make more educated choices. thanks
Elizabeth
EllenL wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 6:29 PM
I think the bouson looks best on Bertha. A blouson is not supposed to fit closely. The neckline is good on the mannequin, but it's too open on the live models. I love the sweater except for the neckline; I would revise it if I decided to make it.
GJabouri wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 6:27 PM
Hello all - I agree with many of the previous commentators: it is enormously helpful to see the same sweater on different body types. I thought it looked best on Sandi with the 6.5" negative ease/stretch. Being Sandi-sized myself I would have made that sweater in the "correct" size which would then have looked like a sack. (Not that I like that pattern very much, btw.) Anyway - I hope that the IK editors (and the editors of other publications) read these comments and discover that there is a need for showing different-sized models (at least 3: small/medium/plush) wearing the same sweater!! And yes, please don't show just the fronts - we also need to see the sides and backs!
Lynn G. wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 6:25 PM
I think the fitting gallery idea is wonderful, though this pattern clearly isn't going to flatter those of us who are super-small, and the larger-busted readers seem to agree. I still would love to see this gallery idea applied to a very simple sweater (just a roll-bottom, roll-neck long-sleeved crew or something like that) so that you could really address some of the excellent reader questions, such as what to do with arm-holes if one chooses to knit a smaller-than-indicated pattern in order to achieve negative ease. Being the equivalent of a girl's size 14-16 (at most) rather than a real women's size (my age is 39, and I hate having to wear kids' clothing), I don't know how I'd ever achieve negative ease even using the smallest size offered by a designer, unless I could completely redesign the pattern. I have no idea how to do that, other than perhaps to choose a thinner yarn and smaller needles and just shrink the entire thing by messing with the gauge (but then the length would be way off, right?...I have long arms and a very long torso, despite my tiny-ness). Again, the gallery idea is superb, but please choose some designs that are more flattering to most figures, even if the pattern isn't a featured one in your current magazine. If not a basic crewneck, then maybe a cardigan, which could also teach us about plackets and button holes, etc.
AdrienneB wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 6:23 PM
I love this gallery feature you have started. I agree this pattern looks better with the negative ease, but I think it would look FAR better without the bottom band.
CarolL wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 6:12 PM
Kudos! the sweater gallery is the best marketing tool devised yet! I am not and never have been tall & whispy so the majority of illustrations do not reflect me.
PLEASE continue this format!
MarieL@3 wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 6:11 PM
I am not a fan of this design but it definitely looks better with negative ease.
PatK wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 6:03 PM
Thanks for the examples - please continue to do this! If I were knitting this one for myself, I'd go ahead and make the sleeves full-length and add a couple of inches to the torso, as well; I'm a small-busted woman with a belly, and as designed, the bottom band would hit me where I'm widest.
ValH wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 5:55 PM
Am I the lone dissenter? I don't think that the blouson is flattering on any of the models. Gathers into the hip, balloon sleeves ending past the elbow (adding width to the torso), band around the hips.... Bleh. I am really enjoying and appreciating this series of real-life women modelling the magazine sample sweaters and am looking forward to the next instalment.
Sarah_dawson wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 5:52 PM
I've been wondering about this ease business. Doesn't cup size matter? If I'm a 38C and my friend is a 38A, won't that result in different numbers? I only ask because the ease looks similar to me between Erin and Anne, even though there is a 3" difference.
AshleyA wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 5:51 PM
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I cannot thank you enough for posting photos of the sample sweaters on different body types. (If only Macy's would do this kind of thing!!) It is so helpful to see what works and what doesn't, and that you are listing the girls' measurment is SO helpful. I love the 1824 blouson, but thought it would never work on my curves, not so!

Please keep doing this, I LOVE IT!!!
FaithH wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 5:38 PM
Sandi, I love that your staff is willing to model the patterns. Being a real woman over 50, I find most magazine patterns are shown with tiny models of extreme youth and that is not me. I look forward to every copy of Knitting Daily and have even set it as a favorite of my work computer since I travel almost every week. When I read your posts, it is like attending my local knitting group wich I miss more than I make it.
Thank you.
Sherill wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 5:36 PM
I liked the blouson best with a couple of inches of positive ease - I thought it actually looked best of all on Bertha. I love seeing all the models wear it, though.
Sherill
Sharon wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 5:34 PM
I like it the best on Anne, however it looks really sweet on Erin with the long sleeved T under it. I would likely make that size as I am right on the same sizing. I agree that I would not have thought to make it, but now I want this pattern!
EllenD wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 5:30 PM
I think it would be helpful if the office "models" would not stand like soldiers for the photo. Strike a pose do something natural, lift an arm, turn a hip. This sweater as modelled looks dull as dirt (apart from on Sandi, whose curvy body and winning smile adds life to it).
As for the wrap style sweater, clearly the designer has little bust. Those of us with a bust know that have a wrap cross the fullness of the bust does not work. It feels weird, it looks weird (sometimes denting the bust), and makes you want to wriggle out of it post haste.
Cathy Dowd wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 5:28 PM
Obviously we can't see every sweater on 5 different body types but there must be some basic guidelines about ease that designers use when creating patterns and clothing that if we knew we could use in making our own clothing. Can you use your Interweave powers to get designers to give up the goods on that?
MarianneY wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 5:27 PM
Thank you! The article, with the great pictures are helpful. What would be even more helpful, though, is if you mentioned tummy/hip measurements, because that's my bigger one, unfortunately. And, I need to figure out how to fit with that. Having 3 sons, late in my reproductive life did not do much for my figure, unfortunately.
dancink wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 5:22 PM
Nope, sorry... still can't convince me this is anything other than an inside out 80's sweater. But I am loving the galleries as it's nice to see the Interweave patterns on real people.
Kim wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 5:19 PM
This is the most fantastic gift for us! I'm a small athletic woman with bust, waist and hips all within a few inches of each other! I'm a new but ambitious knitter and its just great to be able to SEE not just guess what some of these various styles will look like. Now, I just need to become skilled in modifying. Thank you thank you!
Kim wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 5:18 PM
Sharah wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 5:12 PM
I am really finding this "real fit" thing wonderfully useful in looking at interweave patterns. Is it possible to make sure that the models do fit the sweaters better (i.e. the girl wearing the corset sweater... just swims in it. It had no appeal for me until I saw it on the fit gals. Now I want to make it!)
Thanks for putting Knitting Daily out, I am really enjoying it!
DeborahB@4 wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 5:09 PM
I want to thank you for demonstrating the fit of various items on various shapes. It is very helpful!!!
Rhian wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 5:07 PM
This is absolutely invaluable information, and I wish we had similar "Shown on 5 different women" pictures in all pattern books and magazines! I'm looking forward to seeing the next two sweaters.
HelenT wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 5:06 PM
The problem I have a lot of times when getting the proper amount of ease on a sweater is that the armholes are then too small. I have broad shoulders, so how can I customize a sweater for that?
885447329 wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 5:00 PM
I love your gallery pics, it helps to see some of these sweaters on different body types and ages. (Bring back some of the older models you used to use!) I always liked the corset sweater but thought it might be a bit young for me (I'm 45) but after the gallery pics figured I'll make it (with a few changes) afterall. I would also like to see more pictures of the sweaters from the back and side instead of 2 or 3 all from the front.
RachaelS wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 4:59 PM
This is unbelievably helpful. No matter what size the knitter is, it is impossible to know how a garment will look without knowing the size of the sweater and the measurement of the person it is shown on. It would be even better if sweaters were modeled for the magazine on non-wispy women, vary it a little bit - a size 6, a 10, a plus size model - We are REAL women, and you can't go try these on in a dressing room to get the right fit, we have to be REALLY sure this garment is right for us before we spend the time and money knitting it. More information and more average bodied models would go along way in helping the knitter be able to more accurately predict the finished product.

Thank you for doing this - it's wonderful!
SharonH wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 4:47 PM
I like the idea of the summer wheat top and the white one Robin Melanson did recently in IK, but I really worry that the double layer of fabric around my waist will do the opposite of accentuate my waist. Why should putting a double layer of fabric right where my curves should be dipping in make me look curvier?
JulieW wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 4:32 PM
I think the sweater definitely looks best on you and Anne...with more ease, it really looks baggy and sloppy. You look great!
TomlinsonA wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 4:30 PM
Yikes. I loved the photos in magazine and considered knitting the sweater. The band on the bottom in the real life photos make some of the models look like they are expecting. Thanks for the photos you saved me some heartache!
BridgetM wrote
on Aug 27, 2007 4:07 PM
This is so helpful - without these pictures I NEVER would have considered knitting this pattern, fearing that on my short, fairly curvy body it would just make me look like a sack of taters. But no - this looks gorgeous on the willowy gals as well as the cuvier ones! THANK YOU!!