The Oriel Gallery (And A Bonus Gallery of Summer Wheat)

Aug 29, 2007

Oriel Lace Blouse

Imagine it's 3 PM on a workday. Lunch is a distant memory, going home early isn't an option, and the Snickers bars in the vending machine are starting to look like health food (Nuts and chocolate, right? Antioxidants and protein! Whoo!). Then, out of nowhere, your crazy coworker Sandi pops her head around your cubicle wall and says brightly, "Hey! Can I take your photo and your bust measurements and post them all over the Internet?"

Yeah, baby. Just another day in the life of an Interweave staff person. No one has coffee breaks like we do.

Today, with the gracious assistance of several Interweavers, I present not one, but two photo sessions for you: the Oriel Lace Blouse Gallery and a little bonus: the Summer Wheat Tank Mini-Gallery. You will notice that all of the models (including our ever-faithful Bertha) are on the petite side this time around. Sometimes the sample sweater is sized so that we can show it on a variety of folks; sometimes not. In truth, the Oriel, being all-over lace, is very elastic and might have fit one of the larger models, but none of us wanted to chance ruining such an exquisite garment by stretching it out of shape.

The Oriel pattern is in here!

And exquisite is precisely the word for the Oriel. Shirley Paden, you delight me with the way you bend lace to your will and make the loveliest garments out of yarnovers and decreases. The astute reader will note that the magic of this sweater lies in Shirley's clever shaping technique: Rather than disrupt the flowing lace lines overmuch, she uses larger needles where she wishes things to be bigger, and smaller needles where she wishes them to be smaller. (Someone needs to tell me to knock off the P. D. James novels, my prose is starting to sound downright prim.)

As for the Summer Wheat Tank: It is soooo cute in person. Would it look as cute on a busty gal like me as it does on the Willows and Nymphs in the photos? I'm not sure--I didn't have a model that fit those specs, unfortunately. So here's a little peek into my own thought process about this pattern--see if you agree, or if you would approach this differently. First: I've seen similar "overwrap" sweaters on large busty gals, and it's actually a rather attractive style--if the sweater fits properly. Second: I know the designer of Summer Wheat, Lisa Shroyer, and she is passionate about designing knitwear that will flatter a variety of shapes and sizes. So: If I did knit Summer Wheat for myself, I'd want to make sure that the overlap panel started below my bustline, instead of starting at the top of my bust and going diagonally across something that doesn't need more attention. Also: If the panel started at my underbust, it would help define my waist, which is definitely A Good Thing. In addition, I'd probably do some short-rows or something to increase the drape of the fabric over The Girls and to ensure that there wasn't too much extra fabric at the waist, where I don't need extra anything!

That's how I would start to think about the Summer Wheat pattern. Real women come in all shapes and sizes; not every sweater can look good on every shape and size. The trick is to develop your "critical knitting eye," and to develop a degree of honesty about yourself and about the patterns.
Bertha in a glam moment
We do not expect every piece of clothing in a department store to look great on every single person; the same is true of knitting patterns.

The truth is: I know without a doubt that this top would look gorgeous on my slender-yet-busty sister Liz. So in the end, if I just HAD to knit this pattern (and it's one of those that makes my fingers do a little Wanna Knit dance, I confess), then I would probably make it for her. (I said IF, Lizzie, IF...)

A note from one of our models: Bertha wanted you to know that she does not always stand so stiffly. She has a wild, artistic side to her. She asked me to post this photo so you could get to know her better.

Sandi Wiseheart is the editor of Knitting Daily.

What's on Sandi's needles? Yes, folks, it's true: I will be ripping back the front of the Bonsai Tunic by Norah Gaughan. Yes, I shall post photos of my infamous defeat pre-rip-fest, but allow me to gather up my courage first. New to the needles: About 15 inches' worth of cables for a new design coming soon to Knitting Daily. Someone asked if this was the ONLY thing on my needles...you caught me! I am the Unfinished Objects Fairy, spreading my little stardust magic over as much casting-on and as many needle sets as possible.

Comments

Ewedevil wrote
on Aug 31, 2007 9:51 PM
i'm chiming in with the "keep it up" on the galleries. i love them.
although i'm in the midst of (hopefully to be a large weightloss) i don't expect to lose my brests (as i had them before putting on the lbs) which will put me in the category of a commenter i read further up. i (will) have a large bust measurement, but because of large breasts. i'm currently at a 42DDD, but was a 36DDD before my 4 children. i long for the day interweave breaks the mold and starts to use bustier and curvier models. i understand that a wisp of a woman probably makes a design more appealing.... but, using the oriel for example.... seeing how feminine and delicate it looks on the model - i'd never in a million years make this for myself. i hope this makes sense.?
here, let me clarify:
interweave, show us some boobs!

as a side note, i really hope katie was able to sneak that sweater home. it looks amazing on her!
knittingbox wrote
on Aug 31, 2007 9:46 PM
I think it is very telling that you cannot even put the sweater on different sized women. Particularly when the women who can't even try on the garment sound like they are closer to the size of most American women! So, for all your heming and hawing about providing us with different sizes and showing how the same sweater looks on different people, really you have failed on all counts. I cannot believe you are SCARED TO HAVE A NORMAL SIZED WOMAN TRY ON THE SWEATER!!! And, as for the other pattern, the number of changes you suggest to have it fit other than a skinny woman (your terms, not mine) are really insane. And you know it, as your mumbling about not every sweater is meant for every person. Really, your readers would appreciate a lot less spin and a lot more of what you claim you are "already giving us."
Sandyk wrote
on Aug 31, 2007 6:52 PM
I wish the origami cardigan were longer in the back-I am too self-conscious to wear anything that is so high in back....\sk
Clmd wrote
on Aug 31, 2007 1:04 PM
Halloween is coming up. Now that Bertha is all snazzed up, I think we should set set her up with Icabad Crane.
LyndaW@2 wrote
on Aug 31, 2007 10:10 AM
Hi Sandi,

I really enjoy your e-mails and the "photo galleries" are wonderful.

Where is the pattern for the scarf that Bertha is wearing? I like it!
KelliK wrote
on Aug 31, 2007 9:36 AM
Thanks for the gallery of the Oriel. It is a beautifull sweater. I saw it in KNITS and thought "That'd be fun to knit." Now, I can't wait to get started. I do have to admit to a bit of frustration, thought; you keep posting all these wonderfull knitted goodies and I want to knit them ALL!! So much knitting, so little time.
Kelli
Rose wrote
on Aug 31, 2007 9:18 AM
I love the Oriel Lace top, but I don't think I'm skilled enough to make it yet. I would like to see what it looks like on larger sizes. Has anyone made it in a larger size or seen pictures of it in larger sizes? I also really like the 1824 Blouson, but have too many projects to make between now and Christmas. (I'm trying to have some self-control) I also like the Summer Wheat top, but probably won't make it because I so rarely wear tank tops. I have to disagree with everyone who says wrap tops make the wearer "chunkier." When they fit they make you look slimmer, especially if they are in a good color for you. I've learned that many styles work if the color is one that looks really good on the person.
Jybquilter wrote
on Aug 31, 2007 8:06 AM
Katie, you look great in both sweaters! These are both perfect examples of negative ease being the way to go. Who would have "thunk?"

Keep up the good work with showing how the designs look on real people. It's an invaluable learning tool.
GailR wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 10:53 PM
Bertha and Katie seem to be the best fit for the lace top - so I think this needs some positive ease but not very much at all.
A2Seamster wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 10:37 PM
Please keep up the galleries. This is so helpful.
MeM wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 10:16 PM
Please keep the galleries coming; it is very helpful in learning my knitting eyes to see how different garment/knit elements react to different builds and sizes. In addition to the helpfulness of these galleries, the knit pieces really come alive! It's like a novelty-photo-booth where you can get your picture taken 5 times in a row, and the pictures come out as a strip.
SaraJ wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 9:26 PM
Thank you for all you put in to Knitting Daily! Thanks for the galleries, with special thanks to the model gals. It must be hard to put yourself out there specifically in a garment that is supposed to not fit some of the models as well, so we can learn about knitting to fit . . . Also, if I were Katie, I'd be moseying off to an understated Glamour Shots session, whilst wearing the stunning Oriel.

Oh, and Bertha would be her accomplice on that adventure, since she's all dressed up with nowhere to go, hee!
BeckyB@2 wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 8:06 PM
Thank you for taking the time to do the galleries. Thay are so helpful!
KelL wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 7:21 PM
These galleries have been sooo helpful! I now notice myself reading knitting patterns and wondering what the model's bust-size is (purely academically!) Is that a future pattern idea? Most patterns already say
Lynn G. wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 7:00 PM
Since nearly everyone is interested in Bertha's scarf, and a link to the pattern has now been posted, would you please tell us, Sandi, whether the yarn must be in cotton/tencel or whether the pattern could handle wool or brushed alpaca or something softer/warmer than cotton? Also, would you please indicate the appropriate yarn weight for that pattern(is it sport weight? DK?). Thank you! It would be great, in general, when you use a scarf in a Knitting Daily photo if you could tell us whether the pattern is free and/or where to get it. I'm quite sure there would be a lot of interest, and it's nice to have a smaller project going when one is trying to tackle something daunting.
JenniferH wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 6:49 PM
In re-reading one of Maggie Rigghietti's books, I discovered a new term for busty gals: Tiffany Diamonds! It cracked me up & seemed appropriate for a goodly portion of the population, incl. ME! ROFL
Move over, Bertha, & someone take me to a jewelry store! Jennifer
JennB@2 wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 6:35 PM
You have my loving thoughts with you as you mourn your kitty. I'm glad the little purple cat is a comfort and a magnet to friends who also want to help comfort you.
LisaH@2 wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 5:07 PM
I don't think these girls are in the break room enough!! If I lived closer I would come and feed them!As for the Summer Wheat, I will DEFINITELY be making this but with the crossover section adjusted under my bustline. As mine is a 44
EllenD wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 4:08 PM
In the case of Summer Wheat, a careful look at the picture should tell any woman with a remote amount of bust that it's pointless to knit it as written. Maybe Sandi likes this designer, but all designers make bad designs some of the time. Just look at how the wrap portion is structured, where it starts how it's incorporated into the tank strap, and you'll see that it's for a very small-chested high busted woman who doesn't mind showing a bit of chest skin. Otherwise the flap CROSSES RIGHT OVER THE BREAST, which is a weird look at best.

As for the blouson, it's nice to know others think it is as unattractive as I do. It might be carried off by a very straight, slim, androgenous figure, but for that figure there are much more flattering options. As a friend once said, "I don't want to wear a look I'll have to carry off."
KristenH wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 3:48 PM
I do have to agree with most on Summer Wheat. It is an interesting idea that just doesn't work very well. It looks OK on the model, but would probably look good on few people. I agree with Sandi that crossover styles can be VERY flattering on a number of figures if they are well designed and fit all the lumps and bumps in the right places. This one just doesn't. (I do love the design on the panel in front.) Again, many thanks to your brave coworkers for agreeing to have their measurements broadcast for all!
DannielleS wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 3:13 PM
Thanks for the doing the gallary. We all have made projects we thought were cute in the magazine, but when it came to putting it on. It flopped. Definitely put in the magazine how much ease the designer intended in the garment. It would be extremely helpful. Dannielle
DannielleS wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 3:13 PM
JoylaG wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 2:50 PM
Thank you & the models for the galleries of photos. I feel like I'm learning so much of how to fit a garment so it looks wonderful on my own body. This is great coaching. Thank you again.
Elizabeth wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 2:48 PM
These patterns are lovely but SO DIFFICULT. How about something simpler and suitable for a cute, attractive 50-something?
Elizabeth wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 2:40 PM
The scarf on Bertha is beautiful. How can I get the pattern?
DeborahW wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 2:32 PM
Isn't that the mermaid scarf from the Spring 2007 Interweave Crochet? Designed by Sandi herself! And available online at interweavecrochet.com!!
Eliza wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 2:27 PM
Sandi, I'm really enjoying (and learning from) your posts! I had never heard of ease before. Thank you so much! It's all so much clearer now. I wonder if you can address the bra band size vs chest size, since I get the sense that some people don't realize they aren't the same thing. (maybe you did already, but I don't remember)

Bertha, I LOVE your scarf! Did you make it? It's so cute! Can you share the pattern?
CarolD@10 wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 2:04 PM
Thank you so very much for all the knitting gallery pictures. Those pictures are much more helpful than the professionally modeled ones. I want to see the whole sweaters and how they look on with a full front view, and maybe the back, too. No one stand in a fitting room, looks in the mirror and poses. At least I think they don't.
ChristyB wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 1:27 PM
I love the Oriel and have been on a search for just the perfect yarn since that issue of IK came out.

And I agree with a few other commenters about bust size alone...I think cup size is important in that it implies the difference between bust and underbust, and therefore, the "ease effect". I've come across this problem with tops before...I have a 34" bust, but only a 29" underbust, so ease is significant (especially now that I understand it....thanks, Sandi!)
Theresedavis wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 12:31 PM

That's the link to the "Mermaid Scarf", it is crocheted
pkett wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 11:45 AM
I love the gallery of pictures in that it shows NORMAL people wearing these items, rather than glossed and glammed up for the professional camera. Thank you!
VanessaE wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 11:44 AM
If I was Katie I think that Oriel sweater would accidentally fall into my purse one evening!! She looks wonderful in it!
Leeki wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 11:31 AM
Sandi - I have been learning so much from the galleries (& have been enjoying your writing, PD James or not)!! I agree with those who would like more measurement than just bust... waist & hips would be great! AND please also consider adding distance from ?shoulder to waist? or whatever it is that makes us long- or short-waisted! Thanks!!
GJabouri wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 11:16 AM
Hi all - I actually like the Summer Wheat Tank, but why is the overlap straight on the "official" model but pouchy on the IK models? It looks good straight, but bad when it's pouchy. Did the IK models just not tighten the straps enough? I think if you can keep the overlay in a straight line it would be fine even for bustier women, because it would guide the eye down and to the side, but if it is pouchy the eye gets stuck on the belly.
CandyJ wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 11:14 AM
Love the newsletter! Keep up the great work! this is such a fantastic resource!

I'd love to get that scarf pattern too -- will you be maiking it available?
LeAnnW wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 11:12 AM
With a pattern as complex as the Oriel, I wish we had gotten more suggetions on refining the fit was done in the Corset Gals review. I know I will need to shorten the sleeves wahtever size I knit. It is a spectacular pattern. Betha's scarf is indeed an accessory I NEED!
DeniseM@2 wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 10:56 AM
I love Knitting Daily and I would love to see the details on Bertha's glam scarf (hint, hint). Keep up the great work! You have re-invigorted my knitting!
DianeD@2 wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 10:51 AM
The Oriel blouse is sooo pretty! I don't know that I'll ever be good enough to make something like that.

I love the pink scarf, too, and would love the pattern (is it knitted or crocheted?).
M.M wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 10:45 AM
These galleries ROCK!!! (as my kids would say)...Katie is the winner for the lace top and the wheat tank--skip the wrap or make it separately and use it as a scarf around the neck!! i agree with another poster who said that the tank is better suited to a different age. Just like store-bought fashions...some things are meant to be worn by the young, or slim/tall, or young and slim/tall...well, you get it. The Oriel lace top---I think that is absolutely timeless and ageless.

Happy Knitting
Marie
BrendaH wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 10:33 AM
I LOVE seeing how it fits different people. That has been something I've been wishing for - that the magazine would not just tell you what size the top is made in, but what size the model is wearing it! Great idea!! Thank you. I'll be making Oriel.
Hedgehog wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 10:24 AM
Bertha, dahhhhling--I know it's difficult to hang onto, what with no fingers and all, but where did you hide that martini?
Hedgie
alcbrooks wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 10:18 AM
I LOVE the gallaries, especially when all sides are viewed. Many the time I've knit a garment only to discover that the model in the photo had to have been safety pinned in as the garmet was inches too big. And it is great to see these projects on ACTUAL normal size people. Keep it up!
A. Brooks
EnidL wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 10:12 AM
The pouch on the Summer Wheat Tank would be great for carrying a newborn!

Enid L
Tlsergi wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 9:55 AM
It's so fun to read all of these knitting tales. I'm only a beginniner who has made scarves, and I'm looking forward to learning more and someday making some of these designs. And this is my first foray into the knitting community - what a great bunch of people!
Pat wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 9:13 AM
I feel I am learning so much. Thank you to all the staff at Interweave for being becoming part of the class room. As others have pointed out, fitting is so much more than bust size. It's hips, length of torso, cup size, neck...the whole package. Excellent writing style.
Mia wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 9:12 AM
Well I think the Oriel Lace Blouse looked best on Katie since you could see some of the lace work. It looked fine on everyone else but the lace was shown to a better advantage with a little bit less ease. And I am still unsure about the Summer Wheat Top and the overlay. If you have a larger bust and/or a tummy, I am not sure about it. Could you pad Bertha to give her a tummy to see how it would look? Bertha would have an easier time losing her tummy than the rest of us.
JulieP@2 wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 8:47 AM
I'll second (or third, or whatever) the requests for that pretty little scarf pattern -- it's enough to make me learn to crochet (how hard can it be?)
Rebecca S wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 8:46 AM
I so agree with Misty Y's opinion of the Blouson sweater. It is very ugly and ratty looking in the magazine and even more son on the models in the gallery. And the Summer Wheat doesn't look good on anyone. But the Oriel, Oh my! That is gorgeous! Could we get a look at the sweater on the front cover if the Fall issue. Its very pretty on the model - I'd love to see it on the Interweavers!
Rebecca S wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 8:46 AM
Cinders wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 8:44 AM
Thank you Sandi for brightening my day with your witty writing style. I'm sat here in pain and feeling like I've been run over by a bus and you've cheered me up no end.
I love the photos of the jumpers on real people. I love the Oriel but that cross over flap on the Wheat top looks quite dreadful I'm afaraid.
Another suggestion, could you include a model who also has a Bhudda belly and shelf high up? like me?(no I dont want to model , I'd break the camera!)
SaraV wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 8:30 AM
Agree that more measurements would be more useful. Cup size, for instance, makes a huge difference. I just finished the lotus blossom tank, and I'm so glad I messed with the measurements. I have a 39.5" bust, but that's a 36D . I knit the 2nd smallest size and added rows (short and regular) to cover that additional curve of bust. In a fitted top, someone who is 40" bust and 38" around the ribs is a very different fitting issue than someone with the same bustline but a 32" ribcage.
Repels-72356 wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 8:05 AM
Hi, Sandi--thank you for all the galleries: I learn from them even if they show sweaters I would never wear. And especially thank you to the girls in the office who are such good sports about posing for the photos! I have a book published in 1895 for the Columbian Exposition in Chicago that gives directions and a drawing for a crocheted corset cover, and it looks just like the corset pullover sweater in your first gallery. Keep up the good work!:) Caryl H.
DaisyS wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 8:04 AM
As several others have said, seeing the sweaters on several different models has shown me where I've gone wrong in the past. I need negative ease! I never knew.

While I would not knit many of the sweaters you have shown, seeing any of them on models has helped my understanding of garment sizing. Please keep up the galleries.
TamaraM wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 7:53 AM
I love your writing! The knitting is good, of course, but the writing is like you're inside my head! Scary? Sorry. Very sorry to hear about the rip-back fest. I experienced the same thing with a gansey sweater I'm knitting for my husband, but in the end I was glad I did it--I'm sure it built up my character! Thanks Sandi.
BettinaF wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 7:38 AM
hi Sandi,
you write that you don't need any extra at the waist... I don't need any extra anywhere - what do I do now? going naked isn't an option:))
VickiJ wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 7:35 AM
I am fairly new to knitting and normally stick with socks, wraps and baby items. Have not attempted any fitted garments mostly because I can't imagine how they would look on me, or anyone else. The galleries have been very helpful whether I like the item or not, and even when the item does not look great on every model. This is what has been missing from my knitting education. Thank you so much. I may actually work up the courage to knit a sweater.
SallyT wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 7:07 AM
[Someone needs to tell me to knock off the P. D. James novels, my prose is starting to sound downright prim.] At least you're not emulating Jane Austen as one often does at my computer, thusly probably losing minions of yawning readers of volunteer org. correspondence! I love your style - especailly the "Whoos!" - Jane Austen never said "Whoo." Does PD James?

Keep up the good work. Love Knitting Daily! Thanks, too, to all your cute Interweavers for their posing and sharing. It's all most helpful. (Wouldn't Jane Austen say "most helpful?")

Sally Trabulsi
FriedaB wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 6:59 AM
I really love that picture of the dark pink lacy scarf and would love to know where to get that pattern too!!!
KarenD wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 6:53 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm starting to loose interest with all this discussion every day about busts! -KD
Rebecca@2 wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 6:39 AM
I am thinking about knitting the wheat top without the flap thing BUT using that pattern stitch as part of the sweater. Nothing like completely manipulating the pattern. KUDOS to all at Interweave for putting together this website. I look forward to every e-mail.
on Aug 30, 2007 6:37 AM
Ok, now I'm confused, does the sweater have 5" positive ease on the 31" bust and the 35.5" bust as well? Help!!!
GraceJ wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 6:36 AM
Like everyone else, I love seeing these garments on a variety of people/sizes. It truelly helps to boost my confidence about choosing sizes. THANK YOU!
CateK wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 5:55 AM
I know I must be shaped strangely for everyone you are picturing has hips smaller than their busts and stomachs that go in and not out. Are there any apple shaped people like me on whom you could show items? Surely, there are patterns for apple/pear folks.
MargaretM@6 wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 5:20 AM
Ditto on how great the galleries are, and I must say that I am ready to learn to crochet just to make that adorable pink scarf! Details, please?
AlisonK wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 4:41 AM
I really love these galleries. They're so helpful. More & more I'm thinking garments look better with negative ease - I will definitely be going for a more fitted look in the future rather than hiding in sacks!
LiaN wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 3:56 AM
I love the galleries of different sized women, and I hope you keep it up! The Oriel lace top is beautiful.
millie91 wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 3:55 AM
love these newsletters, love your humour. So much useful info! Don't be disheartened by the gripes, some people are just so hard to please! BTW, what is the cute pink ruffle Bertha is wearing with the Summer Wheat Tank?
SandraB wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 3:40 AM
The Oriel looks lovely on Katie - it would look equally lovely on my daughter but not me *sigh*. I'm afraid I don't like the Wheat tank, sorry.

I printed out the Corset Pullover pattern and noticed that the designer noted the pattern was made to fit snugly. Why would the magazine put this garment on such a skinny model (no offense intended) when clearly it would look better on someone a little more 'lush'?

Love your sense of humour :-)
StephanieW@3 wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 1:54 AM
I woul love to have the pattern to the scarf on the wheat sweater!?
SusanD@7 wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 1:13 AM
Thanks so much for getting pictures of these wonderful sweaters on your co-workers! Even though I'm quite a bit bigger than any of them, I'm getting a very good sense of how much ease I think would look good (and why some things I've made haven't worked the way I wanted.) Thank you, thank you, thank you for this practical tutorial on ease!
EirwenG wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 12:57 AM
my goodness there are girls out there with a 31inch bust!I am built on more statuesque lines, and wonder as I did when I first saw this pattern how it would look on us girls more amply stacked. The lace is gorgeous. Any chance on seeing this on you Sandy, as we are similarly built?
Eirwen
SharonA wrote
on Aug 30, 2007 12:28 AM
Add me to the "LOVE THESE GALLERIES" list! However, that being said, I also agree that the bust measurement alone is not enough. We really need bust/chest/waist to get a better handle on whether or not the garment would look good on us. You could line up a dozen women with the same bust measurement - but their actual body shapes would vary greatly. Example - I'm 5'6", not by definition a 'petite' when looking at clothes. But when I tried on a pair of pants today, the length was a good 4" too long. Put me in a women's petite and the length is perfect.

Since you are using many of the same co-workers for models, maybe you could collect all of the necessary/pertinent measurements and have them collected as a 'wing' of the gallery. Then we'd know, for example, that while we may have the same bust measurement as model A, our body is shaped more like model C. This would allow more accurate comparisons.

I too find the wheat wrap to be the sort of thing that you'd see on a sweet YOUNG thing. Not going to find it on my pudgy old woman body. It isn't all that attractive, in my humble opinion.
The Oriel is gorgeous, and I especially like it on Katie - the dark colored undergarment makes the lace so MUCH more visible, and it seemed to fit her body overall the best. You go, Katie!!
BrieP wrote
on Aug 29, 2007 11:55 PM
I also wanted to add my voice to all those who love these galleries! It's so great to see the same sweater on so many different sizes, to get an idea of what would be best for me, or the sweater's intended recipient.
KhristineS wrote
on Aug 29, 2007 11:34 PM
I absolutley luv Bertha's scarf!!! Where did she get the pattern? It would make great x-mas presents for my two college aged neices.
JulieM wrote
on Aug 29, 2007 10:48 PM
Thank you to all the Interweavers who are helping with this project--you are all going way beyond your job descriptions and it makes me love I. Knits and the people behind it even more! I am shocked that the knitted pieces look so bad on so many of the volunteers and it makes me afraid to knit anything that's a garment! After the expense of the yarn and so many hours I would have been devastated to have made summer wheat or the Blouson--thank goodness I have seen it worn on normal people. Sandi is guiding us on making items fit well, but how are we to know by just looking at the model in the magazine? If Katie has a 25" waist and 35" hips then I have a "double". It makes me wonder in your photo shoots for the magazine how many models you go through before you find one that makes the garment look good. Maybe I'll just stick with socks--I love the Snowflake Socks in Fall '07!
JuneP wrote
on Aug 29, 2007 10:45 PM
I'm sorry, but the Summer Wheat does not complement anyone...even Bertha.
MistyY wrote
on Aug 29, 2007 9:51 PM
I must admit to being a little behind hand on my comments. I've been thinking over the gallery images for the Blouson pattern that was pictured a few days ago. Personally, I think the sweater looks like a ratty old inside out gym sweatshirt on everyone, including the lovely model who wore it in the original photo in Interweave Knits. I was baffled that the sweater actually made it to print in the first place, much less that it was selected for discussion on what flattered which body size & type. I am very fond of Interweave Knits, even if I don't always personally love every pattern in it. But I must say I think that particular pattern was uninteresting at best, and downright ugly at worst. I understand that a basic sweater pattern was a good idea for the gallery shoot, but there were better to choose from.
BridgetM wrote
on Aug 29, 2007 9:45 PM
Merna, you are so right - even on the magazine model the left side where the "wheaty" pattern flap lies is made to look miniscule. And on the "real life" models this effect is only enhanced. Interesting!
MernaS wrote
on Aug 29, 2007 9:25 PM
I agree that these galleries are invaluable; it gives so much better an idea of what a garment looks like. Bravo, Sandi! Knitting Daily is wonderful.

While you made me want to knit Tomato, the Summer Wheat Tank is even more atrocious on real people than on the
magazine model. Thanks for that too.
TanisW wrote
on Aug 29, 2007 9:23 PM
Oh, I am so glad you did the Oriel Blouse. I have been eying that one up since I saw it in the magazine, and now I have a better idea on what size to make. THANK YOU for these galleries. They are fantastic
KatP wrote
on Aug 29, 2007 9:21 PM
love the lacey top on Katie. I agree it seems to fit her best. As for the tank, I also agree that moving it down would probably be a good idea on a busty person. I'm thinking seriously of knitting this. What I will do is seriously decrease the size of that overlap and maybe work it on larger needles for an 'airy'er look. But first to finish my current top. Will let you know what comes of it when I get to that point.
txkat
DeannaD wrote
on Aug 29, 2007 9:17 PM
Although my friends and I haven't exactly blogged our bust sizes we have done some comparing with ankles and calves because we were finding that not all sock styles are suitable for everybody either.
CharleneM wrote
on Aug 29, 2007 9:16 PM
Bertha, You go girl! Here, Here, to no flap on the front, some of us really don't want "any" notice in the rib section. Take up the neck line for less cleavage or add a cami underneath to pull the focus up from the midsection and it takes on a whole new look. I love the lace shaping with different size needles, the uniformity of the lace pattern is never broken and compromised.I don't know if I'll make Oriel or not but I loved reading the pattern and I'm truly inspired.
BridgetM wrote
on Aug 29, 2007 9:10 PM
But all that said, here is a MAJOR BIG AND HUGE THANK YOU for these galleries! They are so incredibly helpful - please thank your staff models! Now if only IK could recruit designers who could create trompe l'oeil sweaters that make ALL of us look like Vargas pinups!
BridgetM wrote
on Aug 29, 2007 9:08 PM
Hmmm- OK, I think Oriel could work for 34D me, but I'm still not sold on the Summer Wheat Tank - I thin the design as is is missing out on the exquisite possibilities of waist definition that a surplice style can deliver. As a girl who measures 38-31-39, which is pretty much hourglass but with a slightly thicker waist (ok, I'm working on that, but not TOO hard, really) I sure won't be benefitted by the double layer of heavy knitted fabric at what is my narrowest part.
Terri wrote
on Aug 29, 2007 9:06 PM
Another happy reader voting YES! on the galleries. I am just loving them.
VirgadeanR wrote
on Aug 29, 2007 9:06 PM
I would also like to know where I can get the pattern for the scarf on Bertha.
KathleenR@2 wrote
on Aug 29, 2007 8:52 PM
The galleries are so interesting. Maybe as things are published in the magazine, thoughts on customizing, appropriateness for different body types, and so on could be included here or as side bars. In genereal, I would prefer fewer patterns with more info.

Kathleen
VashtiB wrote
on Aug 29, 2007 8:46 PM
I'm one of those pesky crocheters who drops in to check for crochet content, since crochet WAS mentioned in the original announcement about Knitting Daily. Today I saw a gorgeous dark pink crocheted scarf on Bertha. Details please! Thanks!
ValH wrote
on Aug 29, 2007 8:34 PM
I think the Summer Wheat tank would be much prettier without that odd flap thing across the front. I don't think it flatters anyone. I agree with other posters that these photo galleries are very interesting and helpful.
WeaversYarn wrote
on Aug 29, 2007 8:30 PM
I have to say, the Oriel definitely doesn't want too much positive ease. It seems to fit Bertha and Katie best. And Katie gets my vote because of that sweet little smile. (Sorry, Bertha, I know it's not your fault you don't have a head.)
HollyN wrote
on Aug 29, 2007 8:27 PM
Another great post, Sandi! Thank you for the wonderful commentary, and insightful advice. As a member of the busty gal troops, I don't think I'll be knitting Summer Wheat, but I now feel like I could, if I wanted to!
CathyC wrote
on Aug 29, 2007 8:26 PM
I do love the photo galleries of different shaped women, BUT I have a big issue with the presumption that bust measurements have anything much to do with the size of ones actual bust.

Ie you might show a picture of somebody who has a 36inch bust, but doesn't actually have much if anything in the way of actual breasts.

I'd like to see more pictures of people who have actual large busts rather than large bust measurements.

As an example, I am a 36 inch bust, but I am about a size XS who happens to have been dealt an actual bust that is too big. So, although the Summer Wheat tank, for example, looks lovely on your 36 inch model, what is it going to look like on me??!!!

I hope this makes sense!
Bonnie wrote
on Aug 29, 2007 8:00 PM
It looks like my comment got chopped off! Well in a nutshell, I love Knitting Daily and hope you keep doing the galleries showing garments on a variety of women. It's a great idea.
Bonnie wrote
on Aug 29, 2007 7:57 PM
Sandi
Rebekah wrote
on Aug 29, 2007 7:50 PM
Thanks so much for doing these galleries! They're so helpful.
bluewillo wrote
on Aug 29, 2007 7:38 PM
Finally, Bertha gets the props she so richly deserves! You go, girl! Let your hair down...err, when they give you a wig, THEN you can let your hair down!
CathyannP wrote
on Aug 29, 2007 7:33 PM
I appreciate the back views. More of these would be helpful as you can see the general shape of the sweater and also whether it might need some "back interest".
Lee-Fay wrote
on Aug 29, 2007 7:26 PM
I am really enjoying these galleries. Perhaps IK mags will document the ease in the photos or have different models wearing the same garment too. That would be sooo helpful!