The Scarf That Stole My Heart

Sep 3, 2007

Modern Quilt Wrap (yum!)

It's true: I hate to knit scarves. I don't know why. I just do. I am thrilled to have other people knit scarves, and in snowy January, I love snuggling up in a sweet little neck-wrap just as much as the next person. However, while I understand intellectually that knitting a scarf is the same as knitting a sweater sans shaping, I remain stalwart in my dislike of Knitting Scarves.

(I do, however, love crocheting scarves. This split scarf personality is no doubt a sign of some deep personal conflict, but there you have it: Crocheting scarves, yay! Knitting scarves, nay.)

Thus I find it particularly ironic that two weeks ago, I had my heart stolen by a knitted scarf pattern. I was flipping through a copy of Mag Kandis' new book Folk Style, and suddenly, my little knitter's heart went pitty-pat at the sight of the Modern Quilt Wrap scarf in all its gorgeous multicolored glory. I was captivated. And despite the current ban on New Cast-Ons in my house, I caught myself standing in front of my stash, contemplating this yarn or that yarn, debating colors in my mind, wondering what I would do if I were knitting the Modern Quilt Wrap for myself.

(I can fool myself, you see: It's not really a scarf, because it's wide...So: It's really a stole. Or a shawl. There. I feel much better now. I simply fell in love with a stole pattern, not a scarf at all. Whew.)

This scarf (er, I mean, stole) pattern has all the elements of a Perfect Knitted Scarf: It's built out of little mitered-square bits that you can take along to knit wherever you go. It's designed in a yarn that needs to come with a Surgeon General's Addictive Substance label, Rowan's Kidsilk Haze. It looks like a Log Cabin quilt design, only fuzzier and with yarn instead of calicos. And the colors are glorious (Mags, you are a genius with color!).

Mag Kandis' Folk Style

So naturally, when I was asked to choose one pattern out of the Folk Style book to feature on Knitting Daily, I chose the one that had stolen my heart: the Modern Quilt Wrap. I hope it steals your heart, too.

This is just ONE of the beautiful patterns in this oh-so-beautiful book. I actually had a rather hard time choosing between the Quilt Wrap, and Kate Gilbert's Paisley Shawl, and the cover project, Felt Appliqued Skirt by Gayle Bunn, and Leigh Radford's Urban Hand Warmers...you see my dilemma. They are all such fascinating and fun patterns.

I have to say that working for Interweave in no way helps my yarn addiction, nor my addiction to casting on new projects. It's like working in a crack factory, people. And this Folk Style book, well, it's just a particularly gorgeous way to feed anyone's knitting addiction.

You can thank me later.

Red Scarf Project

The astute amongst you will have noticed that there was a video of me knitting a scarf in last Friday's post, once again proving that my hatred for knitting scarves apparently has a few cracks in its mortar. However: It's not just any scarf, it's a Red Scarf. It's for orphans, as part of the Red Scarf Project, and thus totally worth the self-discipline of scarf-knitting. I mean, really: My life is so full of loving people and generosity, I could knit a thousand scarves and still not have given back enough. Time to pass it on and pay it forward...The pattern will be available on Knitting Daily next week.

Teva Durham Podcast: Podcasts are a great companion to your knitting--they are an entertaining alternative to watching TV during those endless stockinette stitch patches! Download Eunny Jang's interview with Teva, who has a new yarn line from Tahki Stacy Charles called Loop-d-Loop. (I also like to listen to podcasts while I am doing the dishes or pulling weeds--makes the task seem to fly by!) Have a question you'd like to ask Teva? Send in your questions and we'll post the answers on the website.

Sandi Wiseheart is the editor of Knitting Daily.

What's on Sandi's needles? About 38 inches' worth of cables and twisted stitches for my Red Scarf, coming soon to Knitting Daily. Someone asked if this was the ONLY thing on my needles...you caught me! I am the Unfinished Objects Fairy, spreading my little stardust magic over as much casting-on and as many needle sets as possible.

Comments

on Jul 28, 2008 4:52 PM

I don't know if anyone is trolling this old comment list anymore, but I wanted to let folks know that I found a limited source for the elusive color Swish: Monarch Knitting and Quilts in Pacific Grove, CA. Their phone number is (888)575-YARN, and they have 10 balls available as of 7-26-2008. They had 11--now I have one. That leaves 1 more for other quilt wraps!

KielyH wrote
on Oct 25, 2007 7:10 PM
Have been thinking about this scarf for a while and I am toying with the idea of turing it into an afghan using bulkier yarn. Any suggestions or ideas to help me with this would be very much appericated.
ShirleyT wrote
on Oct 18, 2007 11:01 PM
Try Jimmy Beans Wool in Reno, Nevada for one of the last shipments of Swish available... just received mine today so I can start on this wonderful piece.
pkett wrote
on Oct 1, 2007 3:51 PM
To find the color SWISH, contact purlsoho.com. I am making this beautiful scarf and was able to find SWISH from them.
CynthiaW wrote
on Sep 28, 2007 9:44 PM
I've been searching the net and phoning local yarn stores to find just one ball of the Swish that Rowan is not making anymore. The scarf/shawl is gorgeous but when a company discontinues a very important colour such as Swish, a gold, it does make it difficult. I was told there is no more Swish in the US. I live in Canada and am still searching.

That scarf/wrap is to die for!
LindaD wrote
on Sep 18, 2007 11:27 AM
has anyone had any luck withdeveloping a blank graph to color in your own colors? thanks, Linda D
MelindaD wrote
on Sep 9, 2007 1:37 AM
The scarf is gorgeous, the colours are divine, but for knitters in the southern hemisphere, we,re looking towards Summer, so I'll save that lovely pattern for next year. Meanwhile it'sgreat to look and learn about a future project from everyone elses informative chat.
ebailey wrote
on Sep 7, 2007 9:07 AM
Yarn substitutions?!?1! Hmmmmm, soundslike a great Winter spinning project!
Thanks for the pattern AND the yardage list.

Cheers from Maine
DanaR wrote
on Sep 5, 2007 9:46 PM
thanks for sharing this pattern. the book's cover attracted me immediately. its a beautiful book.
DanaR wrote
on Sep 5, 2007 9:46 PM
tantej wrote
on Sep 5, 2007 8:59 PM
While I agree with many others that it's a pretty stiff price tag for a scarf, thanks to real yardage supplied I see that you can make two scarves out of that yarn. And by either buying two balls of the yarn that calls for the most yardage or by cleverly changing the color order you could probably get three scarves. so i guess that brings the price down. now who is worth spending the money on or who could I split the skeins with because I HAVE TO KNIT THIS SCARF!
PegT wrote
on Sep 5, 2007 7:52 PM
timing is everything, they say, and sandi, your timing is perfect! i've just finished the icelandic shawl (from spindle-spun) and was looking through books for my next project, with no luck. then this scarf shows up in knitting daily -- perfect!!
JudyP wrote
on Sep 5, 2007 7:31 PM
I love the wrap also, last nite did some searching and found some crystal palace kid merino @ royal yarns its about 1/2 the price of kid silk haze. so I bought it. I hope it does the trick. cant wait until it comes.
LizBuckman wrote
on Sep 5, 2007 11:34 AM
My Goodness!!! I want to make this scarf! I too am not a scarf fan but really think this is beautiful. Love the yarn they used but figured it out to be about $125.00 to make a scarf!! Can't swing it. :(
Any sugguestions on an alternative, yet just as beautiful yarn?
SusieW wrote
on Sep 5, 2007 10:54 AM
I agree, want,want,want this scarf/stole. I'm thinking maybe Knitpicks Palette ..... lots of color choices and in the right $$ range.
MaryF wrote
on Sep 4, 2007 11:33 PM
Oh thank you, thank you for Mags Kandis's scarf/shawl/quilt thing!! I'd seen it before somewhere and coveted the pattern. I plundered my stash and found suitable yarn (no Kidsilk Haze for this knitter - too dear a price), started the thing this evening and have the first row of mitered squares finished. It looks terrific and is such fun to do. Mary
KathleenM@3 wrote
on Sep 4, 2007 6:34 PM
I LOVE the "working in a crack factory, people" comment! I am in stitches reading your newsletter (pun intended), and thoroughly enjoy it. The patterns you share are superb, thank you, thank you, thank you!
KatieV wrote
on Sep 4, 2007 6:22 PM
To add to my previous post, KnitPicks Gloss (silk and merino fingering) also comes in an undyed natural, so there would be 9 color choices as there are for the KidSilk Haze in this pattern. Some colors seem to be backordered though. Or, substitute the slightly cheaper Madil Kid Seta...or buy from a place like Webs where there are volume discounts.
I wonder if I could deal with all the ends to be woven in, and what the reverse side looks like? It certainly is lovely.
MariaL wrote
on Sep 4, 2007 3:39 PM
This scarf/wrap is beautiful but much too expensive to knit. If I knew how many scarves I could make out of the nine balls of KSH, then perhaps I could justify it and make a couple for gifts. Will Mags tell us how much of each color was left over after the first scarf? This one thing that really annoys me, especially in some other magazines, not telling you how much of the skein the pattern will use. Thanks for such a great post!
KatieV wrote
on Sep 4, 2007 3:37 PM
If KSH is out of your price range, maybe try KnitPicks Gloss? It only comes in 8 colors, but together they might make a nice autumn colorway. It would make the wrap more substantial (KSH is very airy), but not moreso than a regular scarf.
TamaraH@2 wrote
on Sep 4, 2007 2:13 PM
Hi, I love this scarf/shawl also but I need a substitute yarn that is not so pricy. Thanks for giving us this pattern.
Tammy H.
JudyS@3 wrote
on Sep 4, 2007 1:19 PM
I to find the price tag for the yarn, no matter how great, way over the top. I am finding this yarn listed as everything from fingerweight to worsted weight which makes substituting difficult. What is the correct weight as many of us could find a substitute at our local shop. For those looking to color in their own - draw the squares on graft paper and color away. Be sure the portions are the same as the blocks in the scraf. An easy way is to make one of each size blocks and copy. If you have a software for quilt blocks- it is a snap.
JanL wrote
on Sep 4, 2007 1:13 PM
I hate scarves, too....but this is not a scarf so much as a wrap! I live in southern CA and have little use for such things, but I think I'm going to have to make this. Thanks!

Jan
Clmd wrote
on Sep 4, 2007 12:36 PM
I believe the yarn gives a lot of yardage however, it is an extremely fine yarn. I'm wondering whether on a size 7 needle whether it took a long time to knit up.
EllenC wrote
on Sep 4, 2007 11:21 AM
Hah!! I will not be lulled into starting a new project before I finish the other two; no make that three, already on needles. But wow, what a gorgeous shawl/scarf.
KatherineD wrote
on Sep 4, 2007 11:18 AM
Oh, thank you so much for picking this pattern--I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it. Can't wait to start knitting it for a Christmas present for my mom, who quilts, and look forward to hearing what others are using as yarn substitutes.
AbrilM wrote
on Sep 4, 2007 10:51 AM
This is absolutely beautiful!! Thank you for sharing the pattern.
on Sep 4, 2007 9:59 AM
Sandi, Thankyou!Thankyou! Thankyou! I had my eye on that pattern and like everyone else I love it!I love every thing about Knitting Daily and can't wait to read each one. I especially needed the blocking lesson. Mary
on Sep 4, 2007 9:58 AM
SharonV wrote
on Sep 4, 2007 9:28 AM
I saw this scarf when I clicked on the magazines tab on the website and I LOVE IT! I really NEED it for a holiday gift! What to do, what to do? Well, I could just go buy another pair of needles, and some yarn, and make it six projects on a back burner. It's way to pretty to pass up or put off.
TracyM@3 wrote
on Sep 4, 2007 9:27 AM
I can't wait to knit this! i saw the book reviewed and it's definitely on my have-to-have list...along with about 50 other things. thank you for publishing the pattern.
now, how soon can i get to the yarn store???
SusanH wrote
on Sep 4, 2007 7:45 AM
I think it is the frequent turning that makes scarf knitting feel like a form of torture to me. I'm thinking it would be more fun to knit a scarf in the round and just seam the two open ends of the tube. I saw a book in the store the other day called "Scarf Style" by Pam Allen. I was making all sorts of sarcastic comments to myself like "who needs a book to knit scarves" as I picked it off the shelf, ready to mock every page. Wonder of wonders, however, the book is now on my wish list! It had just the coolest, most innovative take on the concept of scarves! I found page after page of enchantment. Apparently, there is hope for scarf knitting.
HananeE wrote
on Sep 4, 2007 7:13 AM
ok ok I know book fondling over yarn fondling..who woulda thunk it.
ChristineB wrote
on Sep 4, 2007 7:12 AM
Dear Sandy,
You are a mind reader!! I looked through the "Folk Art" knitting book and thought the one pattern I really wanted was the Modern Quilt Wrap! Thank you very much for this special gift. I look forward to reading Knitting Daily all week!
HananeE wrote
on Sep 4, 2007 7:12 AM
Love love love it too. I keep fondling the book just for this pattern. So Thank you thank you thank you for sharing.
LibbieS wrote
on Sep 4, 2007 6:45 AM
Finally I can come out of the
closet...I hate knitting scarves too! :) This is a
beautiful pattern for a stole, not a scarf. I am
definitely going to try it
out but will substitute a
more budget friendly yarn.
Thanks for the pattern!
MaryseR wrote
on Sep 4, 2007 6:37 AM
this book is on my wish list and this scarf is one major reason. i love it!
VanessaJ wrote
on Sep 4, 2007 5:44 AM
The hairs stood up on my arm when I saw it was the Quilt Wrap Scarf being posted! This is the one pattern that jumped out at me when flipping throught he book at the store! I am putting this in my November 'to do' project list!
Thanks so much
Vanessa in Upstate NY
SaraJ wrote
on Sep 4, 2007 4:44 AM
Woohoo! My telepathic messages worked; of course, I AM only one state over from you, teehee! That's what I was hoping you'd pick.

My hubby is allergic to mohair, though, and angora too, so that wouldn't be a good substitute. Anyone know what might make a good substitute?
Maggiedupont wrote
on Sep 4, 2007 12:28 AM
Thank you for sharing this beautiful pattern! I have an aunt that makes quilts and I would love to knit this scarf for her. Only problem is, that I am severely allergic against mohair (itching, asthma - ten minutes knitting, no more normal breathing possible...). This pattern, like lots of beautiful patterns, just wouldn't be that beautiful anymore if I use normal wool instead. Do you have a recommended substitute f<@SM>r mohair? Equally light and fuzzy, but not causing me to choke and itch? And that I can get in Europe? That would be so great!
Karen@13 wrote
on Sep 3, 2007 11:37 PM
I too love this pattern but the yarn is too expensive for me at this time. Please, can anyone tell me about an affordable substitute?
MargaretM@2 wrote
on Sep 3, 2007 11:16 PM
I LOVE Mags Kandis--her designs are pure pleasure to knit. Thanks SO MUCH for this pattern!

Kudos for your work on Knittingdaily--it just gets better and better!
Meeb wrote
on Sep 3, 2007 10:44 PM
i almost never knit, or sew or weave for that matter, anything straight out of the pattern. but i love pattern books. they're eye candy and inspiration. KateMcI, art doesn't have to match the sofa. :-)
JenniferS wrote
on Sep 3, 2007 8:32 PM
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! This pattern was the first one I wanted to knit from this book. I can't afford the book right now, but when I can...
RenaeG wrote
on Sep 3, 2007 8:04 PM
i am with dorothy, but am wondering how many scarfs i could make out of the 9 balls of KSM... if i can get at least 2 maybe 3...then it might be worth the large sums of money....

thanks
Rebecca@2 wrote
on Sep 3, 2007 7:00 PM
I share your pain when asked to knit a scarf - anything but a scarf. It feels like it takes forever to complete one and it is so much faster and more satisfying to crochet one.
JessicaH wrote
on Sep 3, 2007 6:50 PM
Oooooohhhhhh. Aaaaahhhhh. My mind is racing with ideas for yarn for this scarf/stole. I've been collecting fleeces in shades of grey (all the sheep are related--father, grandfather, mother, brothers, etc) and this project would look stunning in shades of grey ranging from light silver to very dark charcoal. Hmmm. Or, I have some wonderful yarn in my stash--gorgeous hand-dyed skeins that might just knit up in the most unexpected way. Oooohhhh, choices! I love the pattern. Thank you for sharing it and I can't wait to see the book. Jessie
VivienneR wrote
on Sep 3, 2007 6:40 PM
What am I doing wrong?, I have typed in the password EXACTLY as shown in the e-mail (right8minute) several times but it keeps being rejected.
CaraB wrote
on Sep 3, 2007 6:14 PM
I too can't wait to get this book in the mail. I decided to knit this 'stole' for my mom for christmas the moment I saw the picture. It is stunning. For myself, that cutie as pie baby sling. I wore my daughter in a sling for EVER and with baby making plans in my current vocabulary this will be the perfect little project for my soon (hopefully) to be bundle. Enough of blankets and booties already! I am thanking you now... and will later! Thank you for the entertainment and daily feed to my yarn and knitting cravings!
MaryD@2 wrote
on Sep 3, 2007 6:13 PM
I love the look of the Modern Quilt Wrap and will be looking for some Kidsilk Haze in lots of colours. The only thing missing from the pattern was a blank template so we could colour in our own colours! I'm enjoying the "knitting daily".
Mary
Carol Y wrote
on Sep 3, 2007 6:06 PM
I agree with Dorothy - approximate yardage would be helpful. That's usually the way I feel about other multi-colored patterns or patterns where one color is used for trim. I know a whole ball is too much, but what's too little?
LaVonneE wrote
on Sep 3, 2007 6:04 PM
"You can thank me later."

Might as well thank you now -- FOR RUINING MY LIFE. Okay, slight exaggeration, but a] I can't afford the yarn, b] I'm still a beginner [and ADD] and have a terrible time following complicated patterns, and c] I live in San Diego, where recipients of my knitterly gifts have zero interest in wearing scarves. Guess I should take up a cooler craft, but I'm addicted to knitting.
ChristyS@2 wrote
on Sep 3, 2007 6:02 PM
Sandy,

You really caught my attention with this scarf, er, stole. I also don't like knitting scarves and our family needs no more, so I ignore most patterns.

This pattern so, is really intriguing and I will need to make it for myself. It would porbably be the only scarf (strike that, stole/wrap) that I would wear this winter. It will go beautifully with my fall pink leather jacket and my winter black leather coat.

Thank you for finding yet another jem.

Christy
KateMcI wrote
on Sep 3, 2007 5:45 PM
This book ought to have the Surgeon General's Warning: May Cause Personality Disorders! I am completely in love with the Felt Applique Skirt. This is weird on many levels: I don't wear skirts in the winter, I especially don't wear florals at any time of year, and a red knitted skirt after two children made everything drop about six inches south of where it should be? Yeah, that'd look great. None of this matters. I love this skirt. I need this skirt. I would frame it and hang it on my wall as art (it wouldn't work with my decor, either, but what the hell). I would pet it and love it and keep it forever.
I feel much the same way about most of the projects in this book. Very few of them are things I would actually wear or use, but I love them anyway! The Modern Quilt Wrap is the one exception. I have every intention of making this and wearing it next winter. Gorgeous!
BettyK wrote
on Sep 3, 2007 5:29 PM
Sandi, you must have read my mind. I just saw the book for the first time and that scarf really grabbed me! Great choice!!!
DorothyN@2 wrote
on Sep 3, 2007 5:17 PM
Nine balls of Kid Silk for one scarf. That stuff sells for what, like 13 bucks each? It's beautiful but not worth spending $120 for. HOWEVER, given that many of us may have odds and ends of KSH lying around, it would be really helpful to know how much the scarf weighs, how much yarn does it actually take. That information would help me decide if I could make it or not.
annekaelber wrote
on Sep 3, 2007 5:15 PM
This pattern was the one that caught my eye when it was shown off in a recent Interweave email. But, I'm learning (slowly) that I really *really* don't like pattern books. When I'm working a pattern, I don't want to lug the whole book---and traffic around where I live make a "casual" trip to photocopy the pattern a pain! I wish more patterns were available for download, so I could store them on my computer.

Fortunately for me, KD is sharing this pattern solo and I can print it when I'm ready to work on it---truly the best way to have my patterns (and save my bookshelf space).
Linuxwitch wrote
on Sep 3, 2007 5:04 PM
Not to be snarky, or anything, but that's one very expensive scarf (using KSH)! Are there any good substitutes out there that are more pocket book friendly? The design is absolutely stunning - its amazing what one can do with modular knitting!
Laura BethR wrote
on Sep 3, 2007 4:21 PM
Oh wow. I am not a scarf person either (neither crochet or knit, I don't even like to wear them!!) but I MUST HAVE this scarf!! I'm already pricing it out....
Marianne@2 wrote
on Sep 3, 2007 4:15 PM
oh boy..you chose a perfect pattern! I want to knit that scarf NOW! Marianne :^)
MarciaA wrote
on Sep 3, 2007 4:00 PM
I fell in love with this new book as soon as I saw it featured on this website a few weeks ago. I ordered it and am awaiting its arrival.
I think that this particular book in the series you have brought out looks to be the very best.
SharonC wrote
on Sep 3, 2007 3:42 PM
Wow, it's good to be back. I can see you're delimma in choosing only one project, when you have so many great ones to choose from. My knitting/crochet split personality shows when it comes to blankets. Love to crochet them, hate to knit them. BTW, your kitty is really sweet!