Adventures in Yarn Substitution

Sep 5, 2007

Modern Quilt Wrap

Yarn substitution. The very words strike anxiety into the hearts of knitters everywhere. The published photo is so beautiful, the yarn the designer used so utterly perfect in every way...but alas, the specified yarn is wool, and you're allergic to wool. Or the yarn called for would put too large a dent in your grocery money. Or you live in Australia, and the yarn is unavailable there. What to do? How can you find a substitute yarn that is perfect for you AND perfect for the pattern you've fallen in love with?

Sooner or later, every knitter is faced with the need to substitute yarns. The process can be painful and frustrating, or it can be exciting and creative, depending on how you approach it. So, given that so many of you wondered about substitutions for the Modern Quilt Wrap from our new book Folk Style, let's start there.

Ask yourself: What do you REALLY like about this scarf? Is it the color combination? If so, then look for yarns that have a lot of colors available, whether they are mohair, cotton, or merino. Does the fine fuzzy texture lure you in, but you want to make your own quilt-like color choices? Then you have a wider set of options: mohair, alpaca, merino blends might all do. Allergic to wool? A silk or bamboo yarn could be really beautiful.

Mag Kandis' Folk Style

The point is that in making substitutions, you are going to have to make compromises, because the only way you are going to get a scarf that looks exactly like the one in the Modern Quilt Wrap photo is to use the yarn Mags used. For example, that lovely color selection in a fine mohair/silk blend yarn is unique to Rowan KidSilk Haze, and it is highly unlikely you are going to find anything close to that combination in a similar yarn anywhere. (Now, watch: One of you is going to scour the Internet and prove me wrong. Go for it.)

Yarn Weight: As some of you noted, the weight designation for Kidsilk Haze varies depending on the source. My take on this: A fine mohair yarn can be tough to evaluate, because it has all those little fuzzy fingers sticking out of it (charmingly referred to as its "halo"). When the yarn is knitted, the fingers on one stitch push against the fingers of the neighboring stitch, and thus makes the yarn behave as though it were "fatter" than it is. I've got the Actual Sample Scarf right here on my lap, and the core of the fiber (without the halo) is close to a laceweight. But the halo gives the core extra bulk, causing the yarn to knit up more like a fingering, or even a DK, depending on needle size and gauge.

So what's the "correct weight" of yarn to substitute in this wrap? If you want to use a non-mohair, non-halo yarn, you will need to swatch (sorry! you knew swatching had to sneak in here somewhere) to discover a combination of needle size and yarn that gives you a drape that you like. Tip: To get the airy, lacy look of the original scarf in a non-mohair blend, try a fingering yarn and start with a needle size about two sizes bigger than that recommended on the label. If you like that look, great! If it's not open and airy enough for you, keep going up in needle size until you like what you see. (If the fabric is too open, go down a needle size.) Swatch until you love the fabric, then knit your heart out.

Will your scarf end up looking like a clone of the one Mags made? Probably not. Will your scarf be a gorgeous mirror of your own creative heart? You bet--and I cannot wait to see the photos of what you come up with!

You asked for it...The Yardage For Each Color

I wasn't sure if we at Interweave were going to be able to pull this particular rabbit out of our hat--but thanks to one of our miracle-working tech editors, the rabbit appears: The individual yardage amounts for each color used in the Modern Quilt Wrap. There were no notes from the original wrap, and figuring out the math was something no one here in the office had time to attempt. Enter the tech editor, Ms. L., who stayed up into the wee hours and worked out the numbers! We won't always be able to respond to these sorts of requests (especially not this fast!) because we just don't have the resources, but happily, this one time we can. Hooray for the amazing Ms. L.!

Sandi Wiseheart is the editor of Knitting Daily.

What's on Sandi's needles? About 38 inches' worth of cables and twisted stitches for my Red Scarf, coming soon to Knitting Daily. Note that I am desperately trying NOT to cast on for the Modern Quilt Wrap. (Don't encourage me. Next on my needles is supposed to be a Husband Sweater for Christmas. Must. Stay. Strong.)

Comments

Kelly Bell wrote
on Jan 25, 2014 8:22 PM

Here's another one with a 404 error. I would love to see the yardage chart for this scarf. But alas, it's NOT THERE. There's a thing on web sites called a "global redirect". This would be happening automatically, if you were using a good content management system for this site. For example, you could rename a page or move it and the site would "just know" where it had gone, and all the links inside the site to that old location would update automagically. Also in a CMS you could manually add a redirect, if you wanted to (for example, if you deleted the page entirely but had a related topic you wanted to send readers to). In any case, massive numbers of 404 errors are a VERY bad thing. If you want to see how bad it truly is on this site, copy the main site URL into one of the W3Cs link checker apps (see google), and give it a depth of about 10. The results are truly, truly, scary.

DeborahB@2 wrote
on Jan 28, 2008 11:21 PM
I had all but one of the colors as left overs from a crocheted stole from one of the Rowan books. I finished that stole many years ago. I am about 1/4 of the way through this one and just love it. The crocheted one wound up in the hands of my 14 year old granddaughter and I am sure she will find this one too lovely to live without after her visit next summer. Hopefully I have enough left to make two!
LauraM wrote
on Sep 19, 2007 5:05 PM
How in the name of heaven did the techno fairies at Interweave EVER figure out the individual yardages? (Don't answer--this was an expression of wonder, not a request for info--I am NOT a techno-anything!)
CoralS@2 wrote
on Sep 15, 2007 7:20 PM
Love Knitting Daily - read and reread hints, etc. Have started the Modern quilt scarf. Is really fun. And challenging. Coral S.
LouiseM@3 wrote
on Sep 15, 2007 3:43 PM
This yarn substitution article was great! One other question on the same topic is what to do when a pattern calls for three different yarns knit together...do I just use the per inch gauge in the pattern? The pattern I'm looking at is the "Fern, Moss, Shale Cabled Capelet" by Tahki Stacy Charles using Loop-d-Loop. It's gorgeous but $$$!!!
on Sep 11, 2007 10:22 AM
Sandi, you really have the best last name. You wear it very well. I too want to say thank you for talking with us about substituting one yarn for another. Many of us just can't afford $130 for a scarf, no even two scarfs. Too many times patterns are written for yarns that are terribly pricey, (like the sock pattern I found where the yarn cost $26. [for socks?!]) Thanks for giving working folks like me hope.
Patricia
AnnK@4 wrote
on Sep 9, 2007 9:46 AM
Yes, I'm having trouble with the picking up and knitting part, as well. I did the first 4 small squares as practice in Cascade 220, and the stitches in the "picked-up" square are stretching out and it looks odd. I don't think I'm doing it right.
grannypurple wrote
on Sep 8, 2007 7:44 AM
I should think that Madil Kid Seta would work with KSH, same yarn essentially, although less pricey! The pattern is such an inspiration.
HopeS wrote
on Sep 7, 2007 9:23 PM
I'm about to start the Modern Quilt Wrap - loved the tutorial about weaving in the ends. Great technique, will use from now on. Silly question - I'm wondering about the best way to do the initial cast ons. I think long tail will give it too much structure and not enough flexibiity. Let me know your thoughts.
LeslieM wrote
on Sep 7, 2007 5:31 PM
where exactly is the diagram that shows you where to pick up your stitches from the first block -- the pattern says "as shown in diagram at right." However, there is no diagram at right (or left or up or down, either). Common, do it right.
EvaF wrote
on Sep 7, 2007 1:00 PM
Oh, I found another alternative for yarn substitution, Drops Alpaca by Garnstudio, comes in colours very close to the ones in the picture.
PamM@2 wrote
on Sep 7, 2007 6:29 AM
I started making the quilt wrap
and there is a mistake in block
4. The instructions leave out rows 10-11.
LaurelZ wrote
on Sep 6, 2007 8:36 PM
About substituting yarns, that should be second nature to anyone who knits or crochets! I can recall only a handful of times when I used the same yarn as the pattern called for. The problem was usually that the specified yarn was only available in some other city hundreds of miles away, or was too expensive or required some exotic cleaning method. I've been substituting yarns since I started knitting seriously at age 14. I want to encourage others to do so, since the knitters of my acquaintance are always SO SERIOUS about using the exact same yarn that the pattern calls for. I keep telling them that as long as your chosen yarn knits to the same gauge so you don't have sizing problems, use whatever you want. Too many knitters think that using the original yarn will guarantee that the finished sweater will be exactly the same as the one in the picture.

So go ahead and substitute, just keep in mind how the yarn is to be cared for, if it will still look good after multiple wearings, whether it will look outdated in a year or two, and if you will still like the color years down the road. Also, before choosing a yarn ask yourself if you really will wear and use the item. No point in making an investment of time and money otherwise!
PattyJ wrote
on Sep 6, 2007 6:06 PM
Okay, so this is just sort of about the present topics. I am making the Nantucket jacket (cover of Summer IK), finished it (yes!), but it's way too big (no!!!!). I keep chanting to myself, negative ease. Pinned up the sides to see what it might look like and am trying a smaller size with one size smaller needles. The galleries have been very helpful, even though I am not working on one of the gallery patterns. As I frog, I have to keep reminding myself that I really like the process!! Patty J.
Jolene wrote
on Sep 6, 2007 4:01 PM
I'm another SHEEP-less person, and have come up with colors in Alchemy Silk Purse,Artyarns Regal Silk, & Debbie Bliss Pure Silk....
JudyS@3 wrote
on Sep 6, 2007 3:50 PM
Thank you for all your work especially a big hug for Ms. L with all the yardage calculations. I am not a mohair fan nor is my daughter who would be the owner of this one. There are a number of yarns that have a good selection of colors. They would not be the extact oolors but I have always felt that the design was the more important of the two when looking at a pattern. Colors can be changed to suit the knitter. Swatching is the key on yarn substituting.
Eliaseely wrote
on Sep 6, 2007 2:29 PM
Hi Sandi--this is just a general post; thanks for your humor and wisdom and perseverence to get this out daily. I love it!
LisaM@2 wrote
on Sep 6, 2007 1:53 PM
when I first taught myself how to knit over 3 years ago; I searched all over the internet for super easy patterns - I came across some super great info and since I never use the 'suggested' yarn in patterns [since I rarely have that on hand but have tons others] the best info I found for yarn substitution was put simply that figure out the yardage and swatch till you get what you need. I am more of a creative knitter than at all technical but I love to experiment with stitches and get inspiration from reading through pattern books/magazines, websites and these great knitting daily e-newsletters.
Clmd wrote
on Sep 6, 2007 12:39 PM
Thanks for the yarn substitution info and all of the posts. Learning a lot.
SarahM@3 wrote
on Sep 6, 2007 12:31 PM
For those that have alleagies to wool I came across a mohair look yarn it's called,
Red Heart? Symphony? Yarn.
Although it calls for sze 8 needleto be used with the yarn, I think that it should work. (feels soft and fuzy)
Vis Major wrote
on Sep 6, 2007 12:01 PM
It was so nice of you & Ms. L to put together the total estimated yardage requirements for this project. I found today's post about yarn substitutions to be helpful, just like with all other posts. Thanks for your efforts & keep up the good work.
BeverlyR wrote
on Sep 6, 2007 11:59 AM
Thanks for sharing this with readers. Fab eyecandy. I predict a huge yarn swap along for those with Rowan Kidsilk Haze stashes!
Studio wrote
on Sep 6, 2007 11:37 AM
Yes, the author does! I never have to weave in ends when working in stripes or fair isle.... I "hide" as I go. The following is a link to a blog with lots of visuals. This is not exactly how I do it... but it is a great method. You will never be put off by colourwork projects again!!
Thank you for all of your wonderful Modern Quilt Wrap comments..... I hope you share your individual versions at www.folkstylekal.blogspot.com
Emma JaneM wrote
on Sep 6, 2007 11:07 AM
Okay, I have one other burning question. Does the author have a recommended method for weaving in ends? For a fuzzy halo-y yarn like this? Because there will be HUNDREDS of them.
MilissaH wrote
on Sep 6, 2007 11:04 AM
After I saw this wrap I decided I had to make it. I went to my LYS the tuesday at lunchtime. I bought some GGH soft kid mohair. Tuesday night I cast on. I've got the first 4 squares done. I love the yarn, it's so soft. I have to put it aside for a while to finish up some charity knitting.
ElizabethD@3 wrote
on Sep 6, 2007 10:53 AM
At least one other person can't open the Modern Quilt Wrap file -- but I get the message that Internet Explorer does not support this interface. Huh??
NinaT wrote
on Sep 6, 2007 10:48 AM
I'm with Sharon V - I'm going with Misti Alpaca in lace weight. I already have the lime green, and $5.20 is easier to deal with. It's nice to know we don't need 230 yds each, because what I was looking at online, I was having a problem with coming up with those yardages and not going over, pricewise.
JenniferS wrote
on Sep 6, 2007 10:48 AM
Maybe I'm weird, but I've never been afraid of yarn substitutions. I substituted yarn on the very first sweater I ever knit. This was also the first time I had knit from a pattern. Ok, I am weird...

Thanks to Ms. L for the yardage; knowing that I can get two wraps out of the purchase means one for me and one for a gift to someone very special!
PattiV wrote
on Sep 6, 2007 10:45 AM
Modern quilt Wrap is gorgeous. Loved the statement "addictive substance warning label" should be used. Too true. Between this yarn and Colonial circular knitting needles, I'll be high working on this project. Got my yarns, and am ready to go. One comment about Color G: #581 meadow(pale blue) is more of a pale green color to me, not blue. Just a hint when you're looking through your LYS bins. Thank you Knitting Daily for offering this pattern, and the yardages.
CelesteH wrote
on Sep 6, 2007 9:56 AM
Thank you so much for the individual yarn amounts for the Modern Quilt Wrap. Some of the yarns I was looking at as substitutions are packaged in smaller amounts than the Rowan kidsilk. I know now that I don't have to buy two of each color.
LauraW wrote
on Sep 6, 2007 9:49 AM
Hi! Well, actually Elann.com USED to have a SuperKydd to compete with Rowan Kidsilk Haze, but it has sold down and there are only 7 colors left. BUT if you go to Knitpicks they have a fingering weight (not mohair) in tons of colors and it won't break the bank. I'm sure this isn't news to you, but it was fun to go look. I love getting Knitting Daily. I love knitting daily, too!
Ewedevil wrote
on Sep 6, 2007 9:48 AM
THANK YOU! i'm SO in love with this scarf! and i completely don't understand it - it's not really my style at all....
thank you thank you for the yardages. as a spinner on a budget, i'm going to spin the yarn and then cut to the right lengths and dye it :D
i'm so excited to get this started!!!
will there be a KAL for this?
TamaraK wrote
on Sep 6, 2007 8:56 AM
I'm a confessed domino - mitered shapes - qilt block knitting addict (as you'll see if I ever get my blog up & running!) so I'm definitely starting this scarf! Will probably use my stash of Katia Ingenua on 8 or 9 needles (I knit fairly loosely)as well as making the scarf only two blocks wide to accomodate the larger gauge. Thanks yet again for great patterns and very useful information!
JillR@2 wrote
on Sep 6, 2007 8:42 AM
I can't believe you gave us this pattern! I love this scarf, love doing mitered squares, love the colors, love the softness of the yarn in the photos, love having the amounts calculated and love the info on yarn substitution....Thank you, thank you so much! :D
SharonV wrote
on Sep 6, 2007 8:36 AM
I wouldn't say I'm a great fan of yarn substitutions because the first thing that usually catches my eye is color, more than texture. However, I substituted lace weight cashmere @ $25/skein (the pattern called for 10 skeins) for Misti Alpaca lace weight @ $5.20/skein. Let's see, $225.00 vs. $56.00. My yardage doubled per skein and I had to double the yarn, but it was worth it! I didn't get the loft, but the 'halo' made up for it. It was a wonderful thing and I have absolutely no regrets. The piece turned out beautifully and won't pill the way cashmere might. In the end, it was totally worth it.
TamaraH@2 wrote
on Sep 6, 2007 8:33 AM
Thank you for the yarn yardage info. I have never spent this much $ on a project being mainly a sock knitter but I ordered my yarn online and am now excited to see that I can make 2 of them. Thanks to you Sandi and Ms. L. for extra mile you both went. We all greatly appreciate it!!! Did I mention I love Knitting Daily.
Tamara H.
YvonneA wrote
on Sep 6, 2007 8:06 AM
Thank you so much for providing information that I have long craved for ALL knitting projects: quantity of yarn by color or by part. I would love LOVE to see this become a part of all knitting patterns. In this particular project, it is nice to know the individual yarn weight (or yardage) by color, but how nice would it be to know yardages by part?? i.e. what percent of my yarn holdings will be consumed by the back piece? 20%? 10%? This information would be so nice to know before we knit up the whole garment only to be left short by 1 ball in the end. - or (more typically) to be left with 3.5 balls destined to join the stash heap. Please think about incorporating this thought into knitting patterns - let's reduce the anxiety and start knitting HEADS UP!! Yvonne
MargaretJ wrote
on Sep 6, 2007 8:00 AM
Oh, Sandi, you are evil, evil, evil!! Just after I convinced myself I DON'T need this shawl because I can't afford that beautiful Rowan yarn and don't want to risk another type yarn or even dying my own because I don't know how much of each color I need, you've blown away ALL my excuses!!!! Drat! Darn! Now I AM going to have to make it.

Margaret
SuzanneT wrote
on Sep 6, 2007 6:36 AM
Thank you so much for the yardage information! I was thinking that maybe I could justify splurging on the kidsilk haze if it would be enough for 2 scarves, and now I know that it is. So either I need to find someone else to share the yarn with, or I'll knit two and someone is going to get a beautiful Christmas gift. aft
ChrissieM wrote
on Sep 6, 2007 6:19 AM
I'm so happy you posted this!I want to make this for my mom for Christmas and the thoughts on yarn substitutions and especially yardages is very helpful. Thank you!
AmandaN wrote
on Sep 6, 2007 5:37 AM
Ooooooohh... thank you thank you... as a seriously allergic to wool and mohair person I thank you.. nay I get down on hands and knees and kiss the ground you all walk on.. grin...
JessicaH wrote
on Sep 6, 2007 4:54 AM
Thanks again for really listening to your readers, Sandy. You could hear our collective "Wow, I'd love to make that but with some other yarn, color, weight, fiber content, etc.". And you responded to our enthusiasm for creating this beautiful wrap with our own touch. You are right on it! Perfect. Jessie
Cidrolin wrote
on Sep 6, 2007 3:54 AM
Several of the patterns I would love to knit are in out of print issues of IK (like V?ronik Avery's Shimmer Aran). Couldn't they be made available here ? I think I'll be speaking for most of us far away readers of IK : shipping costs are so high, I wouldn't mind paying a reasonable price to download an individual pattern.
ClairS wrote
on Sep 6, 2007 3:15 AM
i love to come home from work to open my email from you each day - in fact, it makes my day worthwhile. I have 6 projects underway at present and this wrap has become number 1. keep up the great work!!!!!! Regards Clair
on Sep 6, 2007 3:03 AM
Thank you so much for providing the individual yardage amounts! Since I am currently finishing up my Babette- and have noticed that I will have half balls of some colors left over-- now I can use my leftovers in this!
I love you guys...
millie91 wrote
on Sep 6, 2007 1:42 AM
Thank you Ms L.!! You rock!! I was actually pulling out all my leftovers of KSH wondering if they wd do, you've made my task so much easier! And thanks also for the valuable info on yarn substitution and halo. I just love your daily posts.
JudyE@2 wrote
on Sep 6, 2007 12:29 AM
I just want to say how much I enjoy this newsletter! The topics are thoughtful and well covered and the writing is great too! Keep it up. I look forward to reading each new post!
on Sep 6, 2007 12:01 AM
Ooops my earlier comment should read Frog Tree Alpaca Sport... though Yarndex lists it as DK weight. I think it's somewhere in between...
on Sep 6, 2007 12:00 AM
Ooops my earlier comment should read Frog Tree Alpaca Sport... thought yarndex lists it as DK weight. I think it's somewhere in between...
on Sep 5, 2007 11:43 PM
I love to substitute yarns, the more I do it the better I get at being able to find something that will work for me and for the pattern. And I think Crystal Palace has some yarn (Kid Merino) in loads of gorgeous colors that would substitute perfectly for the Rowan Kidsilk Haze. :) Not that I'm encouragint anyone.
on Sep 5, 2007 11:42 PM
on Sep 5, 2007 11:26 PM
As one who it allergic to mohair, this post is really great. I figured out what I'm going to use - Frog Tree Alpaca DK. It has just enough of a halo and it's available in 48 colors! I already have 6 colors too (scored a mixed bag at a LYS clearance). I'll be looking for my remaining colors so I can start this lovely scarf/wrap ASAP!!
EvelynA wrote
on Sep 5, 2007 11:02 PM
What a great post/letter/article/whatever-it-is-that-you-call-this. You're really getting to the core of what knitters want, and what I hope true IK designers hope we will achieve. (I mean, c'mon...if you want everyone's interpretation of your design to be just like yours, then you'd be contracting with Jumbo Store, not Interweave, right?)

By the way, LOVE the fit galleries. I have been able to rethink several projects based on those. It makes the difference between keeping the finished project and looking at it as a big gigantic swatch!
RabbiWendy wrote
on Sep 5, 2007 10:52 PM
Hey Sandy! - Have the darts for the Tomato sweater been worked out yet? (or maybe I missed that?) - Thanks
MinnieK wrote
on Sep 5, 2007 10:44 PM
This is what I LOVE about Knitting Daily; the way you respond to your readers, and truly give them what they need to make their knitting better.
Providing info like yarn substitutions, yardage requirement...and the photo galleries of different sized women wearing a certain sweater; this is all such helpful info and I love it!!
LizB wrote
on Sep 5, 2007 10:34 PM
Sandi & Mrs L, Thanks so much for the yardage amounts - I can't believe how helpful KD is and how lucky I am to have found you! I'm in Australia, living on the edge of the outback, so I'm not near a wool shop, and do a lot of online website visiting. You guys are great, and thanks so much for KD - only a few days after joining, I now really look forward to my message each day. As well as all the great knitting patterns, tips and sharing of information, I really feel part of an inspirational knitting community! Best wishes, Liz Brooks.
Jamie wrote
on Sep 5, 2007 10:32 PM
I love the Modern Quilt Wrap and am so glad I can make two (one for me and one for my mother-in-law) from the 9 balls. It makes it almost affordable, especially since I got the yarn on sale.

I bought the yarn for this scarf today (one of my local shops is holding their semi-annual sale - hooray!). They were out of two colors (Meadow and Marmalade) and I was able to fill in with the closest colors I could find of Filatura di Crosa's "Baby Kid Extra" (same yardage, gauge, and fiber content). Incidentally, per Rowan's site, several of the specified colors have been discontinued, so substituting may be a necessity for many knitters.

Also, for those who can't see Kidsilk Haze in person, the color comments were off for several colors: "drab" is a dark olive, not gray, "meadow" is a mint green, not pale blue, and "trance" is a medium teal, not medium blue (based on looking at the yarn (or color card) in natural sunlight). The yarn colors DO look different under artificial light, but there is no way "meadow" is blue.
SaraJ wrote
on Sep 5, 2007 10:29 PM
Oh yes, as Gail says, a "halo" for y'all! My thanks added to everyone's, especially for the lady who stayed up into the wee hours! I can imagine how the challenge of figuring this out took hold, until she just kept working and working and then realized how late it was . . .
Yinkadink wrote
on Sep 5, 2007 10:18 PM
What a wonderful wrap--beautiful! (I ordered the book right when I got the first email about it.) Thanks, too, for the incredible help with the yardage. You all deserve your own, um, "halo". :-)
SaraJ wrote
on Sep 5, 2007 10:04 PM
Thanks for this post; usually I don't have such a hard time coming up with sub ideas, but when it comes to halo yarns, the options are alot more limited, when no goat (cashmere is also goat, dang it!), no rabbit are part of the consideration.

That really gets my goat (hee hee, baaaad pun.) jk!

I guess I should have asked, what substitute options that don't have goat or rabbit hair would have a halo to them? This post today though made camel come to mind, and I'm not sure what kind of bloom possum blends would have (although I have a local sale option for that last, I THINK, or that'd be way out of the $$$!)

I've been wanting to try some really exotic stuff (oh yeah, and buffalo would be another, and home-grown, too!), and this is an opportunity.

I need to not cast on for something else, too, especially since I'm casting about (hee) for an IW top that has enough uniqueness to it it isn't a mild to mildly moderate variation on a plain vanilla sweater, yet isn't covered in cables (a few would be fine!) which I'm not up to doing so much of, yet, for me to try as my first IW top.
TaraR wrote
on Sep 5, 2007 9:37 PM
Here's an idea for Jaime G... If you have Photoshop Elements or a similar program, simply right click on the diagram above, click "save picture as," save it as a jpeg, then edit it to black and white with your photo editing software. Low-tech version: print out the above diagram as is and use tracing paper to create a color-your-own version! ;0)
CarrieE@2 wrote
on Sep 5, 2007 9:36 PM
In an earlier post you mentioned 'standing in front of your stash' - any tips or insights in terms of how you organzie and/or store your stash? I just moved into my first house and will have a craft room so I'm looking for ideas. Thanks!
CarrieE@2 wrote
on Sep 5, 2007 9:36 PM
MegS wrote
on Sep 5, 2007 9:34 PM
Thanks for permission to substitute. I'm a new knitter and have only made a few scarves (designed the last one on my own. WooHoo!) and a few baby blankets. It is frustrating sometimes not being able to find or afford what a pattern calls for. Thanks for teaching me something new.
GinevraM wrote
on Sep 5, 2007 9:33 PM
Hmm, only problem with substituting is ... sometimes you realise it's the yarn you're in love with!

I guess as an Australian, there are different yarns available here, and, as we grow a good percentage of them, I'd like to use them rather than having so much shipping cost/environmental impact. So you're right Sandi, we're always substituting.
M BrigidB wrote
on Sep 5, 2007 9:18 PM
Thank you so much for this great information! I was at my favorite yarn store today trying to work out substitutions using a yarn that was on sale...Lana Grossa's Numero Uno. And I am thrilled to say that it will work!! Especially since I am a little "done" with working with mohair for awhile...it gets annoying after doing a whole Lana Grossa flounced wrap. I just wanted to let you know that I really appreciate what tech editor, Ms. L. did and the long hours she worked last night! Brigid B.
ElaineR wrote
on Sep 5, 2007 9:18 PM
OK, I'm new at this, but what happened to this pattern (Modern Quilt Wrap). The first one has the skill level as Intermediate but this one shows it as Easy. Do I havea to read through the whole thing to find out what the difference is or are you going to share this information with us?? Thanks! ER
Julie McC. wrote
on Sep 5, 2007 9:13 PM
This isn't exactly about today's post, but I'm not sure where to go with this. I can't download some of the patterns? Most recent case in point -- the Modern Quilt Wrap. I keep getting a message that the file is damaged and cannot be repaired? Help? Is there a tech support link that I'm not seeing?
Thanks

Julie McC.
ChristinaB wrote
on Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM
Thanks for the individual yardage. I may knit this scarf (a.k.a. stole) using leftover DK weight yarn.
Emma JaneM wrote
on Sep 5, 2007 8:51 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you for the finished weight, and for the yardage numbers! I've just ordered yarn to make a 5-color version, and now I have faith that it will work out.
Treeba wrote
on Sep 5, 2007 8:37 PM
Wow! That is fast turnaround Ms. L. I don't know how you did it, but very impressive. And thank you Sandi for a great new resource. I am really enjoying your posts.
RebeccaW wrote
on Sep 5, 2007 8:19 PM
Thank you soooooo much for the yarn quantities! As a yarn dyer, I wanted to make a kit for this wrap, and now I can!
BelindaC wrote
on Sep 5, 2007 8:05 PM
You're not kidding about many yarns not being available in Australia - paricularly at a reasonable price. Even with the internet it can vbe quite hard to find international stockists of yarns who will sell retail quantities. Add the impact of exchange rates and international postage and the exercise is time consuming and expensive. Still, I say, if it's worth the effort to knit, it's worth good yarn. Luckilly many Australian stores stock Rowan.

Thanks for the great daily knitting pick me up - it's always inspiring.

Cheers
Belinda C
GinaS wrote
on Sep 5, 2007 8:03 PM
Thank you so much for the information. Now I can make this and stay within my budget.
on Sep 5, 2007 7:52 PM
Thank you very much for all of your hard work and dedication to your viewing audience. I appreciate also, how concerned you are to provide us with food for creativity every single day. I so look forward to Knitting daily!
I love so many of the designs that I hope my yarn stash makes it to heaven because I needto have time to knit everything I want!
pkett wrote
on Sep 5, 2007 7:50 PM
I absolutely love this site!! Thank you.
SandraC wrote
on Sep 5, 2007 7:41 PM
I smiled when you mentioned living in Australia and having to substitute yarn. I took up knitting just after Christmas last year, and discovered that we have completely different yarns here. So far I have never used the suggested yarn in any pattern. I very quickly learnt how to substitute, because I pretty much had no other choice!
LauraB@7 wrote
on Sep 5, 2007 7:39 PM
"Or you live in Australia, and the yarn is unavailable there." - Whomever is reading "Knitting Daily," is on the internet. Therefore, There is no such thing as a yarn not being available where you live. Anything and everything can be bought on the internet (not always a good thing.) But for yarn, a very good thing. Finding that discontinued yarn in the shade & dyelot you need....Miracles DO happen! Especially when it is NORO Canna at wholesale prices! Praise God Almighty! ~ Laura
SusanT wrote
on Sep 5, 2007 7:38 PM
I just received and perused my Folk Style book & have now inserted your yardage addition (gift)...wow...you guys are amazing. Your website is such an incredible enhancement to my enjoyment of my kniting hobby. I can't tell you how much I enjoy reading it and using it! thank you again and keep it up!
AngharadJ wrote
on Sep 5, 2007 7:23 PM
I just started this in Rowan 4 ply-I'm not a mohair fan and the 4 ply is very soft, and there are a bunch of colors. I substituted my colors for the colors on the chart, but am following the instructions from this point on. The only problem is that once I got going I wasn't super excited about all my colors and how they looked next to each other-I wish I had looked at each ball next to all the other balls individually first. Going with the pattern as is, you already can see that the colors are great together.
JeanieW wrote
on Sep 5, 2007 7:06 PM
Oh my gosh, THANK YOU so much for the yarn substitution and yardage info. This is just what we all needed! Knitting Daily is the best and I look forward to learning something new with every issue.
KimJ@2 wrote
on Sep 5, 2007 6:58 PM
well, after stash diving in my ksh, i have about 7 different colors and only one of them is on the list. not to fear! i ordered what i needed and based on the yardage figures you've so helpfully supplied, i can get a full two of these lovelies using the yarn i just bought! so, if i can convince my knitting buddy to knit one too, we can split the cost! fantastic! and thanks so much for getting that yardage information out so fast! truly a miracle!
JaimeG wrote
on Sep 5, 2007 6:50 PM
Dare I ask for anything more after you've given us so much? I still want a blank color-in-the-blocks version of the scarf diagram so I can play with my color pencils and create my own vision in color. Wouldn't this be fun for your Friday post?
JaimeG wrote
on Sep 5, 2007 6:50 PM
Tcdknits wrote
on Sep 5, 2007 6:17 PM
I agree with everyone, that you, Sandi are amazing!!!(not an exaggeration) I don't blog (being of the older gen), but I always check in to see what it going on with this site and with Annie Modesitt (Gerry and France). I wonder, how much time do you spend knitting and the others that work in the office with you? I feel like I can't get enough time to finish all of my projects. Life gets in the way!! I really, really thank you for everything that you all do at knitting daily.
SharonC wrote
on Sep 5, 2007 6:02 PM
Oops! Didn't mean to leave you out, Ms. L! Thanks for the huge effort.
SharonC wrote
on Sep 5, 2007 5:53 PM
You're super, Sandi. Thanks for all the hard work on our behalf.
PamM@2 wrote
on Sep 5, 2007 5:48 PM
I had to knit this scarf/wrap as soon as I saw it! I already had a lot of the colors and I went out and bought the last 4 today. I can hardly wait to start this project. My yarn is a sport weight. I am not worried about the guage. If it comes out a little bigger or smaller, so what? It's a scarf. Yes, and I am using a size 7 or eight needle to get the drape.
LindaF@2 wrote
on Sep 5, 2007 5:03 PM
Considering the yardage of the Kidsilk Haze, several friends could chip in & share the yarn thus reducing the cost of the materials. I say, "Go to it!" For Christmas, your husband could fondle the finished wrap - possibly with you inside it.
Marian wrote
on Sep 5, 2007 5:02 PM
I would like to say thank you. I know it is hard work to do this daily. I (for one)wanted you to know that is greatly appreciated. I learn something new everyday.
Marian