My Response to Your Comments on the C-Word

Sep 21, 2007

Thank you for all your passion and for your devotion to these yarnly crafts that we all love so well. I take as a high praise the comments to Wednesday's Daring to Mention Crochet post that said, "Please leave our Knitting Daily as it is!" I also was thrilled to hear from multi-craftual folks who were happy to hear "the C-word" now and then, as way of enriching their craft vocabulary as well as their knitting.

I appreciate the suggestions that Interweave publish a "Crocheting Daily" newsletter, so that each craft could have its own community. We have considered it (trust me—I'm a crocheter, too, remember!), but right now we are going to put all our efforts into making Knitting Daily the best that it can be.

It may be worth mentioning that Sara F. and Jill D. both guessed correctly: I am Knitting Daily's only full-time employee, and its only editorial person. (Bertha is only part-time; I share her with the marketing folks. Besides, although I hate to discuss a fellow employee's limitations in public, Bertha lacks certain job qualifications as an editorial assistant...say...like...a head. I try to overlook this, in the interest of good manners, but...it is a problem sometimes.) Right now, I am very happy to be aaalllllll yours, and not to have to split my energies over two newsletters.

What can I say in response to all the heartfelt and thoughtful comments (which as I write this are still pouring in!)? I say: Thank you. As always, your passion inspires and delights me.

We did a quick tally of the sentiments voiced; those who wouldn't mind some limited crochet now and then on KD outnumbered the "no crochet ever" folks two to one. To the folks who love Knitting Daily so much that they do not want it to change, I say: I'm going to continue to bring you the best knitting info that I can, and to give you a peek inside the wonderful world of Interweave as I do it. Sometimes knitting patterns involve crochet—edgings, buttonholes, trim—and so sometimes we will talk about crochet as a way of adding to your knitter's toolbox. If that particular post is one that you don't enjoy, please skip it—but come back again, because next time, we might just be talking about the one thing in knitting that you love more than anything else!

Speaking of next time: Next week, we are going to talk about bags! Just for you Knitting Daily folks, I have a pattern for a knitted knitting bag that I think is pretty rockin' cute.

Sandi Wiseheart is the editor of Knitting Daily.

Sandi is not ashamed to admit that she almost fainted dead away when she found out one of her crochet designs had been selected for the cover of Interweave Crochet Spring 2006.

Comments

joffytjomas wrote
on May 12, 2011 3:26 AM

___________

Joffyt

amandawayne4 wrote
on Jan 8, 2010 3:37 PM

Frankly, everybody as one that they prefer above the other.  Some like knitting, some like crocheting, some people I know do both, but really prefer needlepoint.  There's nothing wrong with it!  While my main interest is in knitting, I learned to crochet so that I would be well balanced in my skills, and be able to give the greatest amount of beauty to my projects.  I knitted winter hats for my nieces and around the bottom I crocheted a ruffly edging, and ties for the hats (so they can't ditch them in the snow!).  The hats would have been lacking without the crochet details.  Crocheting is fine, and a healthy dose of something that we don't always enjoy as much is like having to eat your veggies before eating dessert.  Sure, it stinks when you're a kid, but when you get older and wiser you see how it actually helped you become a healthier person.  Just my two bits! :-)

crochetjoan wrote
on Oct 28, 2008 10:48 AM

I am a crocheter....I only knit and purl if I'm made to.  I have been crocheting since I was 8 and I am 60.  I love my craft, admre my knitting friends' craft, but have no desire to knit.

I resent having to wade through all the knitting stuff to get to the crochet patterns and tips.  I would much rather have a crochet site instead of having to go through the knitting site.  I find that I don't check this site very often as it is time-consuming to wade through the knitting.

Interweave Crochet is my favorite magazine, and I do subscribe to it.  I find the patterns interesting and challenging, and up-to-date.

I do not resent or look down on my knitting friends.  They are very talented people with wonderful skills and projects.  We enjoy admiring each other's craft and exchanging info about yarns, supplies, etc.  We sit and knit and crochet together.  But they don't have to wade through crochet magazines to find interesting knitting patterns, or wade through crochet online sites to find knitting hints, new techniques, and up-to-date patterns.

Crochet has always seemed to be the unwanted stepsister of knitting.  I have even had yarn shop owners turn their noses up when they found out I don't knit, but crochet.  Even they seem to think that all crocheters do is use cheap yarn, and crochet granny squares and ill-fitting retangle sweaters.

Fortunately, that is changing.  I enjoy being included as a potential customer in yarn shops.  I learn much from my knitting friends, but I would still like to have a crochet site instead of having to wade through a knitting site.

Crochetjoan

RuthK wrote
on Jun 17, 2008 12:59 PM

I've lurked on the Knitting Daily site for about a year and this is the first (I think) time that I've been incensed enough to write something really critical of the posts I've read.  Even though it's amost a year since the subject first appeared, I hope someone sees this.

I LOVE knitting.  I LOVE crochet.  I LOVE needlepoint.  I LOVE beading.  I LOVE embroidery.  I LOVE writing.  I LOVE woodworking.  I LOVE digital photography.  I LOVE weaving.  I LOVE spinning.   I LOVE anything that is creative and gives me the ability to work with my mind and hands.  What's with all this competitiveness?  Why should one be better than another?  Why should one faction be totally against even mentioning the other!?

A close friend of mine gave me a beautiful ornament for Christmas that combined an external wooden scroll sawn star shape, an internal wooden scroll sawn Christmas "picture" and bobbin lace joining the two.   Is she a traitor to her craft (which is bobbin lace)?  NO!  She saw the possibilities of combining two quite different crafts into something that is truly a work of art.

That's where creativity comes into play - not in perfecting (and protecting) your favorite craft, but in seeing the possibilities of how one can enhance the other.

Ahh-hh-h, c'mon, folks.  We can band together to fight hunger in Africa, oppression in Iran and sect fighting sect in other countries.  Why can't we accept each other as "artists", or at least accomplished crafters, among ourselves?

MaryF@5 wrote
on Apr 19, 2008 8:32 PM
When I subscribed to Interweave Crochet magazine a year ago, I went to the website and signed up for a newsletter that I thought was going to be about crochet. I was confused and disappointed to receive a knitting newsletter that rarely mentions crochet. Many of the topics apply to both crochet and knitting so I will be patient and hope that someday Interweave Publishing will also have a Crochet Daily newsletter.
SusanK@4 wrote
on Mar 29, 2008 9:18 AM
I have to say I get very upset when knitter don't like crochet but to be honest although I can do both : I prefer and am much better at CROCHET!!!
I get so bored with knitting and all it's restrictions I LOVE CROCHET and it's so free and can be soft and drapable and friends often ask who knitted my sweaters : when they are CROCHETED - by ME!
I also do sexy lace and 3 d crochet and items for the home or bags to go shopping with ( ban plastic!) and it's just such FUN!
MargaretH@2 wrote
on Nov 26, 2007 2:55 PM
I purchased your Interweave Crochet Fall 2007 specifically for the Sera lace top pattern. I am sad to see there are several errors in the instructions, beginning with Rnd 1. Has errata been published for this pattern?
M.M wrote
on Nov 23, 2007 8:37 AM
Crochet being old-fashioned and stiff?? Don't you guys go to the stores or read fashion mags? Crochet is all the rage...get with the program, folks.
MicheleM@4 wrote
on Oct 22, 2007 3:00 PM
At the risk of having my subscription to Knitting Daily permanently purged from the records upon receipt of this comment, going beyond crochet, is there any chance that tatting could be covered now and then, at least in the context of trims and embellishments? Or does the very mention of tatting constitute total sacrilege?! The thing is, some of us knitters are first-and-foremost dyed-in-the-wool (pun intended) lace afficionados. Thanks!
JacquelynC wrote
on Oct 15, 2007 7:05 PM
I'm new to this list. Knitting bag pattern!!! Where? I can't wait to see it.
BTW, I love the new Interweave Book! It has a great selection of patterns.
NadiaM wrote
on Oct 9, 2007 5:11 AM
iam so glad to see knitting daily and all your fantastic and amazing patterns i learned so much its so helpful thank you very much.
ColleenG wrote
on Oct 2, 2007 5:19 PM
I know this is Knitting Daily but I would like to say that I agree with you. It is high time that knitters stop being snobs. I teach both knitting and crochet. I love them equally, but differently. They each have their strengths and weaknesses. Lets just spread the love of both! I for one have stopped being afraid to say: "CROCHET!", even in fine yarn shops. It is liberating!
on Sep 28, 2007 5:48 PM
WOW.

Late to the party as usual. If only this was one.

This topic rears it's ugly head from time to time and it always leaves me boggled, but in this case I'm truly stymied. I can't imagine that all of the "knitting purists" find each and every pattern and technique discussion exactly to their taste. I would imagine from time to time they have a "not interested" moment and hit delete. What's the problem with doing that occasionally for something that might enrich and inspire someone to try something new?

I also echo those that have pointed out that you stated your aims pretty clearly right from the start...this would be a forum for Interweave's fiber arts community. Wake up people, you subscribed to a FREE daily newsletter put out by a publisher. Then you attack them for giving their products exposure? Huh?

I for one welcome the inspiration Knitting Daily provides. I may never want to tackle half of the techniques I read about, but I can still gain an appreciation for those that do and the skill required to master them.

So, kudos to you, both Sandi and the rest of the Interweave staff, dearest Bertha who I believe should definitely start strutting her stuff in that fabo Lily Chin dress, for consistently providing us with high quality, engaging content in all of your formats.
DeniseW wrote
on Sep 26, 2007 9:31 PM
Judging from the level of acrimony in some of the comments, there seem to be a lot of crotchety knitters.

I don't mind at all if you include crochet occasionally. As I believe a few people have mentioned, you did say in the announcement before KD began that it would include both. On the (very) rare occasion that the subject of the post does not interest me, the "delete" button in my inbox works just fine.

I have seen knitting patterns in crochet magazines. Usually the price of a knitting or crochet magazine is about the same as 1-4 patterns purchased individually and there are articles as well, so even if 75% of the content does not interest me, I may find enough to make it worth buying. If not, I just don't buy it. Still, if some want to boycott a magazine because it offers some content that doesn't interest them, that is their option.

Sandi, I'm a few days behind, so it's probably just as well that Knitting Daily is confined to weekdays so I'll have a chance to catch up. I've glanced at the knitting bag posts and look forward to reading them in detail. Regards to Bertha. She's doing a stand-up job despite the lack of a head.
RoseannK wrote
on Sep 25, 2007 11:58 PM
Sandi,

I cannot compare crocheting to cancer. Crochet skills are something I would like to add to my love of knitting. Cancer is something I live with, positively. Somehow the C-Word reference belongs so strongly to the disease, it rings hollow when used to describe the knitting vs. crochet conflict. Maybe I misunderstood the analogy. Roseann
on Sep 25, 2007 4:38 PM
I learned to knit and crochet when I was 3 or 4 years old. I crocheted for years, knitting only in combination with crochet,until fairly recently.when I tried some all knitted projects. I think that including both crafts is fine, Ive been combining knitting and crocheting for years, each has its own good points, I like crocheted afghans, and knitted socks. (I really have never found a really comforable crochet sock pattern.
I cant imagine why one would want to limit oneself to only knitting, or only crocheting.
MarleneM@2 wrote
on Sep 25, 2007 8:42 AM
Holy opinionated people batman! we're all entitled to an opinion but some of us need to learn diplomacy when expressing an opinion. If u find crocheting ugly perhaps u could have just said i don't like crochet and leave it at that. To say that u have found crochet patterns boring then u haven't done much research. There are plenty of interesting paterns out there. Go ahead take a boo. Knitting Daily is just fine the way Sandi presents it and those people who threatened to unsubscribe go ahead miss out on a great newsletter and sandi's great sense of humour. And also relax and get over it have a decaf whatever and knit something!
Marlene
on Sep 24, 2007 8:35 PM
KNITTING DAILY doesn't have C in it. I'd like KD a lot more without crochet. Don't do it. Not going to do it. Don't like what it looks like or feels like. But I love Knitting Daily.
M.M wrote
on Sep 24, 2007 4:54 PM
I love to knit, but learned crochet over the summer for the benefits/look it has to offer. I cannot believe the negativity and entitlement attitude I've read over these posts! This is a FREE website, people! I can understand if you were actually paying for knitting-only material, but really. If you're not interested in a post or pattern, skip over it and get over it. Even knitters don't care for every little thing about knitting (be it socks, felting, etc.)

Keep up the good work, Sandi.
KathyV wrote
on Sep 24, 2007 4:42 PM
You just keep on doing what you do so well, Sandi! Crochet is just as wonderful as knitting. It was fun to see you share the same view.

Kathy V in NM
KatherineH wrote
on Sep 24, 2007 4:21 PM
Sandi: for crochet-applied-to-knitting articles, how about going over crocheted steeks? If you don't want to sew a steek with a machine, it's pretty much either that or cross-stitch. That might encourage some knitting "purists" to pick up hooks :-).
Gina@2 wrote
on Sep 24, 2007 10:07 AM
I knit. I crochet. I have crocheted longer than I have knitted. I can crochet faster than I can knit. However, I am a knitter by choice. I find it more relaxing and have more satisfaction when I complete an item. I am not opposed to learning about trims and things that will enhance my knitting experience. I am not even opposed an occasional crochet pattern. All I ask for is equal time. I am part of a group that welcomes people who both knit and crochet. Therefore I have had opportunity to look at some of the crochet magazines available. Not once have I see a knitting pattern in one of them to encourage enhancing their skills by adding knitting. However, most of the knitting magazines have crochet patterns in them. In fact, one time a bought a knitting magazine only to find that 20 percent of their patterns were crochet. So my point is, if people who crochet expect knitters to welcome them, they must return the favor.
SarahT wrote
on Sep 24, 2007 8:58 AM
sandi,
i enjoy all spectrums of yarn craft, even adding mediums that can't be considered 'yarn'. I have crocheted longer than knitted and am more proficient at it. Your dailies have helped my knitting, but at the cost of neglecting my crochet! I welcome everything, since you are a wonderful columnist!
Taylor
SharonV wrote
on Sep 24, 2007 8:46 AM
Yikes! Did this whole thing get started with one little word (crochet)? That one word has people threatening to unsubscribe? Well I'll be!

There is no yarn store that forbids crocheters to purchase yarn, every knitting store sells crochet hooks and books.

Knitters generally are such gracious people - where did it all go wrong? A little crochet around the collar or cuff can't be worth losing the fabulous knit patterns you've already collected, and dare I say, have no time to make (but you might one day).

If once in awhile something new comes up in KD, I think we can all afford to take a look.
ShellieB wrote
on Sep 24, 2007 8:45 AM
ok- so crochet isn't a strong point in my world. to me, that means I need to learn more about it. :-) Thanks for including it!
ShirleyG wrote
on Sep 24, 2007 8:13 AM
I do not mind the C word especially after seeing the finished edge of a prayer shawl recently made by some friends for another friend under going chemo. The prayer shawl itself was gorgeous but the edging that was crocheted on to it made it magnificant. Keep up the great work, you inspire me.
LizM@2 wrote
on Sep 24, 2007 4:09 AM
Knit, crochet, whatever... Keep it coming!

I was, however, amused that this post ended up in my work Spam folder - I'm assuming it was the word "C-Word" in the title, rather than my e-mail program's views on crochet!
PamK wrote
on Sep 24, 2007 2:58 AM
Those people who shoved their noses in the air, and threatened to unsubscribe if crochet were brought into the newsletter? Let's hope you don't EVER get caught in the rainstorm of the century. It would be a shame to see so many people drown on one day.
I cannot believe how childish and petty these people are. I learned to crochet at age 8. I've taught myself to knit in the last couple years. If I didn't have that solid background in crochet, I would never have been able to teach myself to knit. But things like tension, gauge, holding yarn, and using the correct size tool for the job are common to both crafts. Not to mention reading patterns! And while I enjoy knitting very much, crochet is my first fiberart.
Another thing- those of you complaining about this being an advertisement for Interweave products. Hello? What planet are you from? That's why Interweave can offer a free newsletter. It brings new customers into the fold. So skip the ads if they insult you. And grow up while you're at it.
TinaS wrote
on Sep 24, 2007 12:42 AM
Keep going with a crochet post now and then, I also could imagine some spinning posts... Love the KnittingDaily and have printed out so many patterns yet. Love the Lace dress!
on Sep 23, 2007 10:06 PM
I appreciate both the knitting and crochet content. In fact I would like more information on using them together. But even though I do not use crochet much at all and do not consider myself skilled at it, I am interested in hearing about it.
LauraC@2 wrote
on Sep 23, 2007 9:45 PM
I'm surprised by the aggressive tone that many people are using.

"NO CROCHET, don't even mention it occasionally or I'll unsubscribe" could be read as a threat. I think it's way too demanding for the situation.

I think you can reasonably complain when you're paying for a book or magazine, but when it's a free email, you can just delete it. (Why are people saying they'll forget to come back if there's crochet for a few days in a row? You can get emails sent to you, for your convenience.)

For all those waiting for the bust dart tutorial -- while you're online, why don't you try a google search? Sandi is only one woman and although I'm sure she'd love to, she can't help everyone with every little thing.

Sometimes, doing a bit of research and trying new things can be really fulfilling. Crochet is a useful complement to knitting as well as being a craft in its own right.

Let's all open our minds and get along!

(And really, stop comparing crochet to pottery. How many patterns have you seen combining knitting with pottery?)
on Sep 23, 2007 12:31 PM
Fellow weaver needed holiday present -- you provided the perfect answer with the new Crochet publication. Many thanks!
Repels-72356 wrote
on Sep 23, 2007 11:51 AM
I love reading the comments almost as much as the newsletters themselves! So many different personalities and outlooks on life. The post above by Lynn G. perfectly expresses my feelings about knitting vs crochet, and is VERY well written. And I love the new words I learn such as "detackify"! I recently completed a beautiful striped sweater in Rowan yarn with sleeves and neckline finished in crochet, and it is the best thing I ever knitted. Without the crochet it would be just another sweater. Sandi, please keep up your superb work and don't be afraid to mention crochet when appropriate. Thanks, Caryl H.
NancyC wrote
on Sep 23, 2007 8:30 AM
I do not mind seeing some postings on crocheting, but I am more interested in reading about knitting. As long as you are expanding to other areas, how about some articles and/or information on spinning?
Elsby wrote
on Sep 23, 2007 1:18 AM
Yes, I too would like the bust darts PDF
Happygoo25 wrote
on Sep 23, 2007 1:10 AM
Enough about knitting vs. Crochet. How about that Bust Dart PDF?
Elsby wrote
on Sep 22, 2007 10:29 PM
Perhaps it is time, Sandi, to restate the original purpose of the newsletter so that those who came to it later do not misunderstand. The name Knitting Daily is unfortunate and perhaps should have been InterWeave Daily. It is also unfortunate that you took so long to cover a crochet topic thereby letting the idea of knitting only become somewhat entrenched. I don't feel that one of the arts should be treated as a tacked on item but should be respected equally and IMO covered as much as patterns allow.
The negative responses that have been showing up are truly shameful and disturbing to the extent one might not want to belong anymore.
Incidentally I never put labels on myself such as saying I am a knitter or a crocheter as this would ignore all the other arts I practise
I do love the newsletter but it is primarily due to you.
Elsby
SusanU@2 wrote
on Sep 22, 2007 6:45 PM
I was excited to see a crochet item on the newsletter. I think we can all share information with each other and learn new things. Being a person that does both knitting and crochet I enjoy hearing about both... Keep up the good work. And don't let narrow minded people discourage you... Love the newsletter and patterns
Bigopanda wrote
on Sep 22, 2007 5:02 PM
You would think that most of these knitters never hear of a crochet cast on or a tubular cast on. If they have, they probably never have tried it because it involves a crochet hook.
on Sep 22, 2007 5:00 PM
i am disappointed. this is knitting daily. it does not post monday through friday and now it will not be just knitting. i realise it is "free" but it is still "marketing" all of the Interweave publications. and now it will hawk the crochet ones too. I feel cheated. As if i got home with a knitting magazine in hand only to find a crochet pattern taking up one of the precious page(s) alotted for a pattern. In this busy busy world ALL of our time is valuable and I realise budgeting in life is tight. But still, if I wanted crochet i'd be hunting for a group on crochet.

Now i'm off to see if I can set my account settings to only read on site instead of popping into my mailbox.
AlisonM@2 wrote
on Sep 22, 2007 4:17 PM
I have knittting for nearly 40 years and still I can barely crochet. I'm not proud of that as I consider knitting and crochet as 2 sides of one craft - making loops of yarn into beautiful fabrics. The diiferences between the two should be seen as giving more oppotunities not as reasons for a division amongst us.
JoyH wrote
on Sep 22, 2007 4:04 PM
I'm surprised to read so many negative comments about crotcheting and crocheters in response to your post, Sandy. I would not assume that you had the time or inclination to try to two separate posts this frequently, but the occasional mention of the c-word shouldn't send any rational, compassionate person up the wall. If someone at Interweave is capable of doing the work involved and presenting it to a separate readership, go for it! Joy Heiens
jeg446203 wrote
on Sep 22, 2007 3:43 PM
I don't mind crochet at all so long as you put it in the subject or title so I can delete.
on Sep 22, 2007 3:39 PM
I can knit, but I prefer crochet. It's what I learned first; it's what "speaks" to me. I read Knitting Daily for the same reason I watch Knitty Gritty on DIYNetwork: I am always looking for some new trick, or something to inspire me. One can always pull from, or lend itself to, the other. And while I prefer to keep the patterns I design strictly crochet, it doesn't mean that I won't ever interweave the two in the future. Having taught myself to knit, and having a backlog of KD newsletters as a source of information, I'll be ready.

I'm probably being impulsive and presumptuous, but what would a girl have to do to volunteer to help start a Crochet(ing) Daily?
Carol Tanzer wrote
on Sep 22, 2007 2:58 PM
Sometimes a crochet edge is a nice complement to a knitted piece and I'd welcome seeing some creative crochet ideas included in this newsletter once in an occasional while, but like the idea of keeping more exclusive to knitting. Maybe someday there will be a Crochet Daily newsletter.
CT
Debbyinlv wrote
on Sep 22, 2007 2:49 PM
Sandi-I love your daily newsletter and was surprised to find an article on Crochet.
Lily Chin's crocheted dress is beautiful and thanks for sharing the pattern with us.
Crochet is a wonderful art and I wish there was a crochet newsletter, too. Knitters might be having a fit about having the crochet in the newletter but what can it hurt to include it once in a while. Great work as aways. Debby
Mizpah C.T wrote
on Sep 22, 2007 11:15 AM
Negative comments from people regarding this topic should be ignored.
They come from narrow minded craft cowards.
Only crocheter's afraid of knitting, and knitter's afraid of crochet say such things.
Every time someone shudders at the word "crochet" or "knit", it's because they don't get it, and they can't cope with that fact.
I love both. They each have their place. There are some things that should be knit and some things that should be crocheted.
This is a fiber world.
Do these people get all up in arms when spinning comes into it too? Should spinning never come into a knitting community? Embroidery on knit/crochet garments? It's not knitting for heavens sake. Come on.
I'm never offended at seeing what I don't/can't do turn up in a newsletter. I find it all expanding and inspiring.
CorrineS wrote
on Sep 22, 2007 9:49 AM
I learned to knit as an 8 yesr old. I found it to be uncomfortable and frustrating ... even at that young age I would find myself "frogging" more than I was making progress with my work. So, I quit knitting altogether until after I got married (14 years later). I started this VERY complicated pattern that all totalled took 10 years to complete. After a few months into that throw, I met a lady who crocheted. In the year after she taught me I had completed 15-20 crocheted projects and with each one I learned a new technique. Fast forward another 10 years and I recognize that there are things that I prefer to knit and things I prefer to crochet. For example, I will probably never knit a throw again, but I'm in the process of crocheting one for my oldest son and I WILL have it done in less than 10 years. I will not crochet socks, because they are TOO thick (ie hot) for the Florida climate. I will knit sweaters over crocheting them for the same reason as stated above. To me they are just like my children while they are as different as the night is to the day, I LOVE them equally and can't imagine not having them in my life.
CrissieR wrote
on Sep 22, 2007 9:05 AM
I started with crochet before I learned to knit. I still love and practice both crafts. I think having an occasional article about crochet techniques would be fine. I am not advanced in crochet, and prefer to knit most items, but I could be taught some new edging techniques or some embellishments :)

Thanks for all of your hard work!
FrankieH wrote
on Sep 22, 2007 9:02 AM
I was totally delighted when I discovered Knitting Daily: a quality site just for knitters. Please stay true to knitting projects that require little or no crochet for edging, etc. There are many high quality sources available for crocheters already. Knitting Daily's appeal is its direct address to knitters. - Frankie
Lisa wrote
on Sep 22, 2007 8:43 AM
Crochet can add a truly lovely finish to knitted items. Why deny the beauty and creativity of crochet? I used to do lots of crochet and although I do prefer knitting, crochet has it's place. Please include it. The traditional granny square crochet mentality needs to be done away with.
LeslieS@2 wrote
on Sep 22, 2007 8:36 AM
A young hand spinner came into my yarn shop last weekend, wearing the Butterfly Wrap designed by Stephanie Ryan. It was absolutely stunning and all crochet. If I hadn't already been a crochet fan, that one pattern would have sold me on it. As I said before, I'm just learning to knit (after a ten year struggle with it) and I've seen some awesome lace patterns in knitting as well. Each has a place but a crochet hook will remain my weapon of choice!
XiomaraD wrote
on Sep 22, 2007 6:40 AM
I'm not sure what the problem is between crocheting and knitting. I love doing both and find each craft offers the same result: satisfaction to see a completed project. Let's get along!
PatM wrote
on Sep 22, 2007 6:40 AM
Sandi, along withmay others here, I can do both but my love is knitting. I learned it first, from a beloved Nana, who did only very basic things, but had the patience to teach me to knit. I taught myself to crochet, when the pattern called for crocheted button and buttonhole bands on a sweater. I never liked the look of that sweater. I can knit without looking at what I am doing, but crocheting that way is beyond me. If you want to include some crochet patterns, please do them as a sidelight. Keep the bulk of the patterns knitting and include knitting patterns as well in the issues where you have the crocheting ones.
Pegola wrote
on Sep 22, 2007 6:04 AM
RE your decision to include both knitting and crochet - are you also going to include weaving, rug hooking, embroidery, other types of fiber work? I'm not a knitting "snob," and I have two sisters who have made lovely crocheted items for me, but I like my KNITTING publications to be about knitting. I hope you don't go too overboard with the crochet - maybe when you do crochet articles you can throw in some knitting as well - unlike the two consecutive days of nothing but crochet. Thanks.
Carol Soaper wrote
on Sep 22, 2007 5:34 AM
I was late reading the Wednesday posting about crochet -- but it was refreshing to see it included in the knitting newsletter. I'm a crocheter from way back, over 30 years. I've only been knitting for five (but weaving for eight and spinning for four!) I find crochet has its uses, but I personally have never liked crocheted garments; not enough give to the stitch. Crocheted lace is prettier than knitted lace...Each technique has its place and use. Just like you have a section, "What's on Sandi's needles", I have several projects on my needles which include both knitting and crocheting. Continue to discuss both! Thanks

Carol Soaper
KarenB@2 wrote
on Sep 22, 2007 2:54 AM
Even though I began my yarn-alholic addiction as a crocheter at the age of 10 when my granmother taught me, I have been a knitter since I was about 14. I seldom even look at crochet patterns, but the dress featured really got my heart thumping. I can just see my 26 year old daughter in that dress. I guess I have to go find the crochet hooks...What I have discovered about myself, through reading Knitting Daily, is that when I see a pattern, even one that wouldn't have been at the top of my list (the modern quilt wrap) and it gets my heart thumping, then I will move heaven and earth to make it.
Seattlesoon wrote
on Sep 22, 2007 1:58 AM
I both crochet and knit. I love working on both arts, I have 2 knitting and one crochet(well more than that) projects going, and I love that I can go back and forth, depending on my mood, orif I'm watching T.V.!! I, too, have found that knitters are very prejudice against crochet. Haven't figured that out yet. They both give you so much back in beauty and utility. But if you are going to have a separate section for crochet, show us some really groovy things to make!!! Thanks Sandi.
ElinorW wrote
on Sep 22, 2007 12:59 AM
I work in a yarn store and our problem is that the crochet patterns are just not readily available and the few we have most Crocheters have already.
We try to find projects for all who come in to our store and now sell Interweave crochet which helps fill the gap.
I do look forward to the news and reviews each week.Thanks Elinor, New Zealand.
GinaD wrote
on Sep 22, 2007 12:48 AM
I am excited about the new crochet magazine, and I don't mind seeing crochet content on my knitting news letter. I am a mulit-crafter, doing not only knit and crochet, but tatting, crotatting, spinning, wheatweaving, RPL, x-stitch, embroidery and sewing. Adding a blurb about any of the crafts I enjoy is fine with me!
LaVonneE wrote
on Sep 22, 2007 12:48 AM
One more thing... reading some of the comments of folks who think crochet is ugly, I remembered the 70's crochet fad. Most of those items in the magazines were HIDEOUS. I thought I hated crochet too because of those days -- plus many ugly granny square afghans, but I'm seeing some very nice patterns and color combinations now. Times and styles have changed, for the better.
LaVonneE wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 11:52 PM
Add me to the list of folks who would like to see both crochet and knitting tips here. I love knitting, but sometimes I want to crochet.
Stephanie@4 wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 11:50 PM
I love Crochet, I use it in all my Amigurumi work, as it's the best tool for the job! But I love knitting too! I'm glad that you're going to put a little crochet in here and there, it makes it interesting, and a pleasant surprise!
AmbeRR wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 11:45 PM
Okay, in all honesty, I'm a hooker. I really, really love it. Knitting...I haven't quite gotten the hang of yet, but
DeborahH wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 11:36 PM
Anyone ever crochet around washrags? I first learned how to crochet by embellishing washrags, and had quite a stack of lace edged washrags in my hope chest.

I love to work with fiber and am always interested to learn new techniques. The tools/gadgets for each craft are so different--each craft/type has its merits. I just bought bamboo circulars and love their silky feel--so different from my usual metal needles.

Marian- narrower Kimono sleeves might work with your arms.

While snowed in last winter, I made three prototypes of what I consider to be the world's most perfect bathroom rug--a cotton knitted center and a crocheted edge, in exactly the size, color and thickness I prefer. Better yet, it is double-sided, so I can flip it mid-week. (Look Ma--a fresh side!) The crocheted edge enhances the knitted center and keeps the rug flat--and I even like the way it feels under my bare feet. I want to gently suggest that we give peace (and crochet) a chance.
h_detmers wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 11:35 PM
My feeling about Bertha is somewhat different from the rest. I feel she would make an EXCELLENT editor. Having no arms, she is unable to hold the dreaded "Blue Pencil"! :D

That being said, I also find the attitude of some readers against crochet to be very disturbing and even offensive. Every well stocked knitting toolkit must contain a crochet hook. I could go on at length, but will instead refer readers to the excellent comments posted by Lynn G. Amen! Hilary in Germany
Coley J wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 10:28 PM
Bertha is her maniquin.............
Eliza wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 10:28 PM
Thanks Sandi!
I like how you put things. I hope to benefit from whatever crochet you decide to throw at us; maybe it will inspire me to learn a little more about it!
JaynaM wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 10:12 PM
Oh THANK YOU for posting Lily Chin's Crocheted lace dress. I saw her wearing this dress at the Midwest Stitches Conference done in pink and it was SO lovely! It's something I'll have to do. I also crochet, besides knit; plus sew, quilt, cross-stitch, needle tat, needle felt, weave, spin...and the list goes on. So I love to see projects that combine multiple disciplines in new and creative ways. Each technique has it's own strengths, so combinations are very interesting to me. I'm glad to see crochet magazines beginning to use 'good' yarns instead of the usual craft yarns. These good yarns will heighten the reputation of crochet.

P.S. Please consider an article/patterns using the distinctive techniques of Irish crochet. Thanks.
PhyllisS wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 9:56 PM
I'm so glad you are a crocheter, too. In many yarn shops I have felt looked down on because I was looking for crochet hooks, patterns, etc. A little snobbery? I enjoy knitting daily and the Interweave Crochet--my first issue--is great. It's the first time I have seen it since most places don't carry crochet magazines.
Phyllis
Eddiemax921 wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 9:52 PM
I love all types of crafts. I quilt, crochet, knit, cross stitch, and more. It was nice to see something else along with the knitting.
RonaS wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 9:41 PM
Thank You, Sandi for your committment to bringing us the best forum you can for information, ideas and tips on knitting AND crochet. I believe there are many knitters out there, who like I, started out crocheting and still will pick up a hook now and then. I've enjoyed all the subjects from KnittingDaily.
catspaw wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 9:31 PM
Ok, I'm a hard and fast knitter (and spinner) , but so what? Maybe it's time for this old dog to learn crochet and if not, too bad. Get everyone involved in the fiber arts, whatever they might be. I might not like all of them but there's much to be learned from them, if not by me, then by "the future others". You go girls...and guys.
Diane@2 wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 9:23 PM
Perhaps I spoke too soon. WHO IS Bertha, anyway?
Diane@2 wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 9:17 PM
I took offense to your comments about Bertha. The only evidence that Bertha 'lacks having a head', is that she would allow such public embarrassment directed toward her. Even if this was "just a joke" (which is what I expect that you will say), I don't find that brand of disrespect funny at all. You can't make your candle brighter by putting out the other guy's flame.
JaniceL wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 9:11 PM
Dear KD
You know what I love about this web-page, that every day it's like getting a personal note from a very close friend....and it isn't just a joke that has been forwarded. Keep up the good work and your are right, sometimes us knitters need a little shakin' up with crochet. Thanks, Janice
KatherineM wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 9:01 PM
I have just finished a simple jacket in garter stitch - the opening just looks blah. A crochet edge of some kind would just finish it with a bit of pizazz. I have an instructional dvd that has reverse crocheting to finish things - looks absolutely nifty - and I am going to try it. We can coexist. muzzo
SharonC wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 8:54 PM
I agree with Lynn G. If anyone can present both crafts, it's someone proficient in both...and someone who is so easy to read. If nothing else, though, the comments on today's post are a lot less snarky! I was beginning to wonder if I wanted to be associated with the (strictly) knitting snobs out there. Thank goodness for the multi-crafters! And didn't you tell us up front that Tuesday and Thursday the posts would be commercial in nature?
DianeT wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 8:48 PM
i have to chime in here. I knit at an intermediate-advanced level, spin, and weave. I want to have knitting in daily knitting not crochet. I cannot relate to crochet patterns because I am crochet-impaired. Fiber arts are my life but crochet ugh. I cannot crochet for the life of me. I try and I just cannot figure where the hook is suppose to go.If you have patterns with crochet can they have a knit counterpart or can you give some crochet lessons.
RosemaryP wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 8:46 PM
Thank you for making me laugh, Sandi! I'm having a nasty day at work today & your comment about Bertha's qualifications made me laugh out loud. Bertha & I have a lot in common: I too am only part-time & am about to lose my head!

Your posts brighten my day. You could write about juggling for all I care. I do love knitting but people, can't we share the love?
Rschrager wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 8:35 PM
I love both knitting and crocheting, and I really like the combination patterns. I think if more crochet patterns were fashionable, more people would come around. My biggest problems regarding crochet are the boring patterns, and the amount of yarn it takes to complete a sweater; they can become darned expensive!
MaryR wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 8:35 PM
Thank you for your article and patterns on crochet. I had a chance to meet and talk with Lily Chin last June at a retreat. She is just a bundle of energy and loves to knit and crochet. Seeing her dress pattern in your article was wonderful and it really shows this woman's vast talents. She spoke on the topic of how learning to crochet can benefit knitters. Thank you, Mary
on Sep 21, 2007 8:16 PM
Knitting Daily is, well, daily. That is a lot of knitting nuggets of wisdom you produce for us. I think I can learn to share and even enjoy a few crochet posts. I'm not a crocheter, but will learn if something strikes my fancy. Besides, you never know what technique might be the perfect (and uber magnificent) touch that completes a knitted creation!
RoseU wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 8:04 PM
I am interested in crochet, in fact I just bought myself a c.d. so I can learn how to do it. My main problem seems to be in turning the row, I am never sure if you turn first and then chain or the other way around, or if the chain is counted as a stitch, such as a double crochet.
JanetB@2 wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 8:02 PM
I love them both. I almost didn't learn to knit because of a bad experience. I went into a LYS and asked for a Paton's crochet pattern I had been looking for, and the employees there looked at me like I had 3 heads. Needless to say, I won't be darkening their door ever again! I am glad I persisted and learned to knit, because both knitting and crocheting are very satisfying.
on Sep 21, 2007 7:54 PM
Gosh! It's like brokering lasting peace in the Gaza Strip. Knitting and crocheting can peacefully coexist. You just gotta love the fibers, people!
LoisP wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 7:30 PM
I learned to knit at age 15 and love it! My sister crocheted and knit, but did beautiful filet crochet. She did her best to teach me crochet, but I guess I just couldn't learn the language. She finally gave up on me due to the fact that I was unable to understand what the directions meant sometimes, and thought they meant something else. Knitting is very concrete. There are two kinds of stitches; knit and purl and what you do with those stitches that make a garment what it is.
EvelynM wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 7:29 PM
When I first read today's commentary, I was not aware of who Bertha was. Thinking she was a lovely lady like all of us knitters, I couldn't believe you would say such things on the internet about a co-worker. How rude can you be, I thought. When I just couldn't get me head around it, I decided to investigate to see who this Bertha was anyway. I should have know. I agree she wouldn't be much of an assett working full time....not too bright is she???
DianeK@4 wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 7:25 PM
I too enjoy both crochet and knitting. I have mostly been doing small crochet kitchen items (dishcloths and pot holders)because they were quick and easy. Now I am re-learning how to knit and am practicing on a simple sweater all in garter stitch. I enjoy the newsletter very much and don't mind at all having some crochet info and patters from time to time.
KellyN wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 7:20 PM
Just wanted to let you know that I like to see some crochet as well. I'm a crocheter first, but for some reason find knitting more relaxing. Keep up the great work.
Mafyb wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 6:59 PM
Hi, I am a knitter and a crocheter.Kniting Daily is perfect and I think thaT including some crochet information will be a plus +
Thank you in advance.
Francoise (Mafyb)
Jacqueshank wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 6:54 PM
I too loved seeing the c word every once in awhile. I also loved previewing the next Interweave Crochet Magazine and will definately be buying it once it hits the newstand. Jacque Shank
elliottmah wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 6:53 PM
I am so glad you are including crochet in your newsleter. I like to include both crochet and knitting in my projects. There are advantages to both. Maybe it will encourage some people to try something new. Crochet is very fashionable on the runways and in the stores now.
MaryN@2 wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 6:47 PM
Thanks for adding posts on crochet. I love knitting and find that knowing how to crochet has helped immensely with making my knitting even more wonderful. so please keep the info. coming on both of these wonderful arts!
Marian wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 6:46 PM
I need some help. I have huge upper arms -- 24" -- see I meant huge. It is from years of good ole steriods, which does not do anything for your body. Even if one has a hole in their lung and likes breathing.
What I would like to know is: what type of sleeve is best to not make them so noticiable? Either things are so tight I can't move or so loose that they stand out. Thanks for your help.
I love your magaizes, books and now you web magazine. I wish you continued success with everything you do.
Marian
Carolyn@6 wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 6:44 PM
When I learned to knit with wooden needles and red yarn, it was not long before I quite because knitting hurt - - I made the stitches too tight to prevent them from being able to slip off the needle. My mom was very good at knitting, but I never told her why I didn't like it.

After I left home I picked up crochet -- it involved a hook and only one loop that could fall off and unravel - - and it was something my mom did not do. I made pretty useless things and a few lacy shawls and it always went fast! 1/2 inch a row! I tried knitting every so often, but it semed to grow soooo slowly. A few years ago, I crocheted 70+ hats for students working in our office -in about 6 weeks- since then crochet hurts if I do very much.

Trying knitting again, I finally caught the wonder of it, but I also see its limitations. Knitting uses less yarn and an more easuly make a drappy fabrix. With Crochet you can change directions or add a "do-dad" any where any time. Knitting is not as flexible as fast - -it can be done but not as intuitively as crochet ( for me). There is room in the world for both. Each has it's place and reason for existing -- just like us humans. Inclusive is good.

Carolyn
DonnaF wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 6:30 PM
First of all I am totally addicted to this newsletter and anxiously hunt it down in my e-mail in-box daily before, and after, taking needles in hand. I love all forms of fiber art, and have since my mother taught me to knit when I was ten years old, more than 40 years ago. My first and most passionate love is knitting. I don't mind an occasional mention of crochet, if it will enhance my knitting, but I don't really want to see this newsletter diluted daily with crochet news and tips, thank-you very much. Keep up the GREAT work and deep that knitting coming, daily.
AudreyD wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 6:28 PM
I learned to crochet years before I learned how to knit, and I became a knit 'convert' because for a long time, let's be honest, so many crochet patterns were just so horrible. You say the word crochet to some people and they think of those tacky powder-room sets or orange and brown fringed ponchos. I became the master of thread crochet, but let's face it, there are only so many table runners and doilies that a person needs in his or her lifetime. The problem with crochet garments is that most of them are either a) inspired by retro-70s fashion, which if you lived through the 70s is not that fun, or b) really kind of thick and unwieldy. It makes a much sturdier fabric than knitting, so when I see crocheted vests, I just think, jeez, those things probably stand up on their own. I think they might make good substitute body armor for SWAT teams.

What does excite me is the combo of knitting *and* crochet, which has done a lot to detackify crochet. Crochet is at its best either for sturdy items (like bags or stuffed toys) or at its laciest (shawls and trims); knitting is best for drape and I find it easier to shape knit garments. So my $.02 (hey, when did they take the cent sign off keyboards?!) is that I like crochet items that work with knitting in nifty ways. That's what I want to see more of--not just on this site, but in the crochet world.
BethR@2 wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 6:22 PM
Sandi - Although I learned to crochet before I learned to knit, knitting owns my heart, head and hands. Crochet is great for edging, but please keep Knitting Daily for knitting. There is so much to explore about knitting, and so many different facets to it, we'll never reach all of it. And don't forget its wonderful history. Knitting rules! Keep up the good work.
on Sep 21, 2007 6:21 PM
how about something combining knitting, crochet and weaving??? out of handspun??

I happen to be a fiberholic addicted to all the above. I learned to crochet as a young girl. Between my grandmothers I got tatting lessons from one and crochet lessons from the other. I learned knitting on my own (from a book), spinning later and not much after my first wheel, I got a floor loom. The love of my life right now is weaving!! Crochet edgings work well on baby blankets!!
on Sep 21, 2007 6:11 PM
Personally,I have always loved needlework of all types. I appreciate how diverse we are as humans, male or female, with our imaginations and creativity. I am a knitter with some basic crochet skills. I would like to see crochet from time to time on knitting daily. I think seeing beautiful things is inspiring.
JanetB@6 wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 6:10 PM
Thank you for including both knitting and crocheting in the same publication. I have thus far been a crocheter, but have picked up knitting. I've found the two to enhance and complement one another, and would love to continue to see a venue that allows both to be addressed.

I, too, would love to see a Crochet Daily forum, but "Bertha" may be a bit taxed thinking up topics to cover with her nonexistent head, so I'm quite happy to have Knitting Daily with occasional crochet info.

Thanks for doing this,
Janet
RoseC wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 6:08 PM
Ya know, when you mentioned your assistant Bertha, who sadly has no head, the strangest thing happened. I immediately got a visual of Michael Keaton in the movie Beetlejuice ! You remember, when he is sitting in Hell's waiting room with a head the size of a pea and a voice to match. Hysterical !! Now I pray that strange little picture in my brain will go away and let me sleep tonight !! LOL
DawnJ wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 6:05 PM
It's got to be tough being all alone with only Bertha as a helper. (Maybe the guys on Myth Busters could lend you Buster once in a while!) I love both knitting and crochet and I am very happy to read any tips etc. on either topic. Love your daily posts and humour. Keep it coming.

Dawn
dorriejean18 wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 6:03 PM
I can't wait to see the knitting bag pattern!

Thanks for all your work, Sandi. It's obvious that you work SUPER hard, and I appreciate it!
ArianneS wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 5:57 PM
I don't know if there's an official poll on this subject or not but I'd like to weigh in!

I, like so many knitters, don't generally like the "look" of crochet, I haven't "got the hang of it", and I do prefer knitting.

But I want to get better at crochet! How many more crafty doors will open, how many more design options will I have if I can crochet? It's totally fine by me to include a bit of crochet here and there. In fact, I downloaded my first crochet pattern after I read your recent issue of Knitting Daily. I've even downloaded a "Learn to Crochet" manual from Lion Brand.

Thanks! Keep the Fibrecraft Daily coming! :)
MonicaB@2 wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 5:57 PM
I guess I should have come in earlier on the crochet issue. I was very disappointed to see it take over the knitting daily page. I crocheted for many years before I learned to knit and I just can't bear it anymore. I know some people like to do it, as well as quilt and needlepoint but that's not what this newsletter is all about. Thanks, Monica Bittner
JennieP wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 5:49 PM
I'm a whiz knitter but very ignorant of crochet. Personally, crochet hasn't grabbed me as much as knitting. I guess it's a bit like being a dog or cat person - just different! Mind you, I love the look of the combined knitting and crochet garments that are coming out now and would like to learn more about crochet. So please, do put some crochet in. We all need exposure to different viewpoints from time to time!
SharonH wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 5:32 PM
I wish you would have done the bust dart tutorial or something instead of crochet.

I don't mind crochet + knitting, but as I said before I find it horribly ugly and there's already so much you've said you're going to do that you haven't delivered on. Why are you adding yet another topic?
T.T wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 5:22 PM
If "Knitting Daily" is going to be inclusive, how about some occasional spinning content as well?
Esh wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 5:21 PM
Well said Lynn!! I would appreciate tips and conversations about crochet every now and then, it can only enhance my crafting knowledge :)
spielerd wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 5:19 PM
Cool lace dress and it brought back such a memory. I learned to knit when I was five from my great aunt. I learned to crochet when I was about 14. I think I got a book and taught myself because nobody knew how to do it. My great aunt probably looked at it and said it looked "right". Anyway I made some small scarf and then told my mother I was going to make this really awesome lace dress I saw at the department store where we got yarn (no yarn shops in those days). So she bought the pattern and the yarn and I made it. My first really big project in either knit or crochet was that dress. Very short mini but long sleeves with shell lace designs in it. Of course Mom had to buy a perfect slip to cover me up. I wore it to some dance and for dates- too fancy for school and not appropriate for church of course. I had it for 8-9 years and no idea what happened to it after that. It was fast to make too, only taking me about 2 weeks to complete. I was so dedicated.
Lynn G. wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 5:02 PM
I am a crocheter and knitter, with the crochet skills having been mastered first and my current focus being more on knitting. Due to physical disabilities, I find it helpful to alternate between the two crafts. I'm shocked by the extreme negativity of some readers toward the inclusion of crochet in this newsletter because if you stop to look at the way the stitches are manipulated, they are very closely related crafts. Very often, knitters have to use special techniques to create a chained edge or to repair a dropped stitch, when these effects or needs can be accomplished more efficiently with a crochet hook. The relationship between lace knitting and open crochet work is very close as well. I would enjoy very very much seeing crochet content included on a regular basis in the Knitting Daily newsletter, and the fact that Sandi is an expert in both arts makes her perfectly qualified to find a balance that will satisfy the majority of readers. She's the perfect person to teach us when the craft with which we are less familiar might come in handy in a particular step of a project that is primarily done in the other craft. She is also a fabulous writer, one who knows how to target her column to a majority of her readers. Her colums are so well organized that it is easy and painless to skip over something that doesn't apply to all individuals. For those who would consider suspending their e-mail subscription if crochet topics are addressed, why can't you just delete the few messages that aren't useful to you? I can't imagine that every single knitting topic applies to your personal preferences either. Sandi is clearly addressing crochet to supplement the possibilties for knitted things that we can make, and this will greatly enhance the reading (and creative) experiences for those of us who do have basic vocabulary and skills in both crafts.
S.J.O wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 4:59 PM
Can't keep out of the fray (ravel?)now! Granny squares and the like don't do much for me (with some exceptions! :-O), but I would really appreciate more information on crocheting edgings and the like onto knitted items. In fact, I bought a book that I thought would have that information and it.....doesn't. WAAAH! (Learned to crochet as a kid, mostly have forgotten, but pick it up again with picture/instructions, no problem. Mostly I knit now.)
NancyK@5 wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 4:56 PM
Although I MUCH prefer a strictly knitting newsletter, some information about adding crocheted edgings and trim would be helpful. I am finding many knitting patterns that call for crocheted trim and have no idea how to do it!
Sewshort wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 4:55 PM
Oops, that's IT can turn out really pretty. Ever try typing with a parakeet running around on you keyboard? She likes to "help" with my knitting also, but finds the yarn a little fuzzy for her taste.
tine wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 4:53 PM
Firsts for me: I'm going off the subject because I am sooo excited about what I am doing. I have a terrible habit of starting multiple projects at the same time. So, to receive instant gratification I have begun a few small projects. I am finally KNITTING my FIRST sock and CROCHETING my FIRST granny square. I can't wait to finish!

Best to you Sandi. I wish I could have you over for tea. I enjoy your sense of humor!
HeatherC wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 4:51 PM
I think it's great that you are incorporating crochet into the newsletter. I've only been knitting for about a year and only learned because there seemed like there was such a lack of crocheted publications, patterns and merchandise out there. While I'm a totally obsessed knitter, I can't kick the HOOK crochet has on me! (hehe) I actually never realized there was a controversy over knit vs. crochet until I became a knitter. Maybe crocheters are more open minded?

A great man once said "All we are saying is give peace, and crochet, a chance." At least I think he meant to say crochet.

Sandi, Bertha seems like she's a righteous kinda gal. I bet she's loads of fun at office parties!
SharryB wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 4:50 PM
I enjoy both knitting and crochet---but do more knitting!! I agree that it would be great to include some crochet tips, suggestions and patterns once in a while in KD. Keep up the wonderful work. I look forward to each offering, and download most.

Sharry B in New Mexico
Sewshort wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 4:47 PM
I do both, but I prefer knitting for garments. The crochet always seems to come out almost stiff, with very little drape for me. Since each method uses slightly different muscles in my hands and arms, I switch back and forth as I get tired. In fact, I got so excited about the "tomato", that I knitted two in a row and ended up with tennis elbow and have had to put all knitting and crocheting away for awhile. Bummer! I have been surprised recently to see more patterns combine knitting and crochet in one garment. I can turn out really pretty.
Gothrabbit wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 4:47 PM
The first fiber craft I learned was finger-crochet. Sadly, my crochet skills have not progressed much further, even though I am an advanced knitter. I look at the crochet content as little tempting tidbits that help fuel my desire to learn more crochet techniques. So I say, go ahead and mix it up a little!
NaomiD wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 4:47 PM
For me, crocheting hurts. I love knitting and my wrists thank me regularly for sticking to the sticks! Knitting has gotten me through some really difficult times and I don't know who I'd be without it.
BruceC wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 4:43 PM
If I had wanted information on crochet, there are any number of tacky web sites, and equally tacky publications that I could subscribed to. I believe the name of this site is "knittingdaily". If so, then why are we receiving information on crochet? Let those who want this informatioin go to their own site. If crochet information continues to clutter my inbox, I will suspend my subscription.

Charlotte Bruce
Grand Blanc, Mi
LynR wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 4:42 PM
I'm a dedicated crocheter. I prefer it over knitting. I find the stitches to be more interesting than knit stitches, and it's mmore difficult to create a garment wtih crochet than knitting. I'm sorry that knitters feel they are being intruded upon by when someone tries to inspire interest in crochet, and I am frankly, insulted with some of the comments. Knitters and crocheters have a lot to learn from each other -- I frequently purchase knitting mags, books, and patterns because they teach me things that I can use in my crocheting. I suspect that knitters, if they will only try, can learn much from crocheters as well. Please, think of how it feels for a crcoheter to have no option but to subscribe to Knitting Daily to get the wonderful crcohet patterns that are offered, and then receive comments about how we aren't wanted. Well, knitters -- crocheters are here to stay! We aren't going anywhere. We have things we can teach you. So please, at least try to be more open and a bit more gracious. We all love yarn and what we can create with it.
Lyn R
CarrieS@3 wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 4:38 PM
I'd enjoy seeing more crochet content. I both crochet and knit, but crochet is my first love. I think they complement each other well and they both have their strengths. It's upsetting that some knitters are still so prejudiced against crochet. I know many crocheters and I've never heard one of them say anything snobby about knitting.
KarinW wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 4:36 PM
I actually consider myself a crocheter. I know how to knit, but I find it not as exciting as crochet. Crochet has soooooo many stitches, so many different technics, tunisian, crotat, crochet on the double, etc.... I love crochet!!! I hope you have more patterns and references to it!!!! You could call the newsletter Knitting and Crochet Daily. That way the snobs will either stop getting your great newsletter or maybe consider learning something new, and all of us who enjoy both crafts will have a great newsletter that brings both crafts together!!! Most knitters and crocheters are smart people and they know your newsletter is worth getting even if they don't know both crafts, but they might find something in your newsletter that sparkes something in them that makes them want to learn the other technique. I love crochet and would love to see more of it!!!!!
MarianneY wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 4:33 PM
Hi Sandi, Thank you for your thoughtful update. I did not reply yesterday. I love both knitting and crocheting. I can understand why you can not do both on a daily basis. I am wondering if you could continue to do Knitting Daily as is, no changes, but add Crocheting Weekly, perhaps? Would that still be overload? Many thanks for your time and consideration. Marianne
ToniV wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 4:28 PM
I really enjoy Knitting Daily, and don't mind seeing some crochet content on occasion (I'm seeing more knitting that incorporates some crochet so I like to see those sort of relevant articles). I do have to say, however, that I am disappointed when Knitting Daily only consists of a promotion for a new issue of a magazine or book. I think those sort of things could just be "tacked on" in a side-bar, and keep Knitting Daily filled with more solid content.
Sarah@3 wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 4:20 PM
One of my dear friends is a crocheter. She tried knitting, but didn't care for it. While she was here visiting (I'm in RI, she's in Houston) we went to an LYS. She commented on how she felt like a "black sheep" because of the lack of crocheting stuff. I have to agree with her statement. From my experience, most lys' deal mostly with knitting and not crocheting. Can't we all just get along? I suggest that y'all have a Daily Crocheter newsletter. Now try being someone who's allergic to wool walking into a yarn shop...I also feel like a black-sheep 'cause I can't even touch most of the yarns! I shouldn't even be inhaling, but I gotta breathe. :)
PatriciaG wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 4:11 PM
I'd like to be added to the tally of those who dred the word... cr... I just can't even type it without cringing. I've never liked to crochet, and the more I learn about knitting, the more I dislike crochet. I personally don't like to see the two topics mixed. I save every KD newsletter except those that mention crochet. It was really disappointing for me to find that it was even mentioned at all. I know I am being selfish in the sentiment, but I just don't want to read about crochet, I want to read about knitting!
FayeL wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 4:05 PM
I knit and crochet, my daughter prefers crochet. Now I can share. Keep up the good work!
JudyF@2 wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 4:03 PM
As a multi-crafter, I'd love to see more crochet and knit patterns!
PatriciaA wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 3:57 PM
Well said, Sandi! I had to teach myself to crochet because I couldn't finish a knitted project without the edging. Hardest thing was trying to understand the abbreviations! Plus, when we in the US couldn't take knitting needles on planes after 9/11, I found out that I was *allowed* a crochet hook, and a baby blanket became the perfect project to take along on a l-o-n-g flight. While I can't ever imagine crocheting a dress (!) like the Lily Chin pattern, I still like to expand my skills with "how to's" from time to time. Thanks!
NatashaH wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 3:56 PM
I have no problem having crochet from time to time; I generally prefer the end result of knitting than of crochet, but I know both well, and don't mind learning new tricks here and there. AND if you keep putting up awesome patterns like that white dress you may just complete my conversion!!
PamG wrote
on Sep 21, 2007 2:47 PM
Very diplomatic Sandi, thank you for promoting both knit and crochet. -Pam