Poll Results: Your Favorite Winter 2007 Projects

Nov 9, 2007

Henley Perfected

Thank you for the overwhelming (and very amusing!) responses to the Winter 2007 Project Poll: What project(s) are you excited to cast on for? I had so much fun reading the comments and seeing what you thought of the new Winter patterns!

Without further ado, here are your top ten patterns from Winter Knits 2007, in order:

One: Henley Perfected

Two: Celtic Tote

Three: Gathered Pullover

Four: Refined Aran Jacket

Celtic Tote

Five: Ivy League Vest

Six: Sweater Girl Pullover

Seven: Rosemary's Swing Jacket

Eight: Brushed Lace Cardigan

Nine: Logan River Wrap

Ten: Citrus Yoke Pullover

You can view photos of all the Winter Knits projects on the online preview.

I will point out that 7% of you declined to choose a pattern, saying that you were on a Project Diet. Perhaps a moment of applause for these finely self-disciplined knitters, everyone! I admire each and every one of you in that 7%.

However, I have no such self-control. I told you on Wednesday that I had fallen in love with four patterns...but that was before I tried on Rosemary's Swing Jacket and saw the photos of how it looked on me. So I'd like to change my vote to five projects, if you all don't mind. As for my other four new-found loves—Gathered Pullover, Celtic Tote, Refined Aran Jacket, and Henley Perfected—it looks as though many of us all have the same tastes in projects.

Gathered Pullover

I don't know if I will actually knit all five, but I did decide that if I had to start somewhere, I wanted to start with the Gathered Pullover, since that is the one project where the sample sweater is unavailable for our Sweater Gallery later this month. I'm really curious to see how the cable-in-the-center will work for a busty gal such as myself. So yesterday involved a trip to Woolen Treasures, the local yarn shop (where a purely adorable new shop kitten named Patrick now reigns supreme over the bins and shelves of wools), and last night, I started swatching. (Yes, Nicholas dear, I promise I will have your hoodie done by Christmas...but maybe I could just knit a little bit on my pullover inbetween, just as a diversion?)

Cap'n Frog waits to see if he will be needed

I'll post photos of my progress for you as things move forward with Ms. Gathered. I am thinking I will knit it as written, just to see how it looks, with photos provided for all of you to let me know what you think. Then, if the results are not totally pleasing on my particular curves, I'll invite Cap'n Frog in for a bit, and we can do some hopefully-clever customizations. I don't know. We Shall See. Stay Tuned.

(What color did I choose? Predictably: Purple.)

Coming Up on Knitting Daily

Next week on Knitting Daily, we'll be hosting three very special Guest Star Editors:

Monday, Nov. 12: Amy Clarke Moore, editor of Spin-Off magazine, will talk about a sweater that has been ten years in the making...plus she will probably try to seduce some of you into the wonderful world of spinning your own yarns.

Wednesday, Nov. 14: Kim Werker, editor of Interweave Crochet, talks to knitters about making beautiful, stylish, non-dumpy crochet.

Next Week: Guest Star Lisa Shroyer and more!

Friday, Nov. 16: Lisa Shroyer, editor of Knitscene magazine, talks about what it is like to study knitting patterns for a living.

Please join us as these three very different, very talented women share their love of yarn and all things stitchy with us, and also manage to give me a teensy tiny (gasp!) vacation all at the same time!

A vacation!? Yes, I'm taking a little time off whilst our Guest Stars entertain you. I will be in Toronto, Canada, visiting loved ones, knitting happily away on something pretty, and (no doubt) fondling some Canadian yarn. I'll be back with more knitting adventures before you even have a chance to notice I'm gone.

During Thanksgiving week: We'll have a tiny treat for everyone; and just so you know: There will be only one Knitting Daily post that week.

Then on Monday, Nov. 26, We'll be back to our usual schedule with The Winter Knits Galleries! We've chosen several of the sweaters from the Winter 2007 issue for the Women of Interweave West to try on and model for you, so you can see the sweaters on a variety of different body shapes. Katie Himmelberg, style editor of Knitscene, and assistant editor of Knits, will be walking us through some helpful styling tips for different body types. Don't miss the fun!

Sandi Wiseheart is the editor of Knitting Daily.

What's on Sandi's needles? I solemnly promise to finish the Hubby Hoodie in time for Christmas, however: I am swatching for the Gathered Pullover at the moment. (See how good I'm being?) And fear not: The Lace Socks are in the Meditation Bin for only a short time; there is one more technical problem with said sockies which I shall share with y'all once I have meditated upon it for a bit.

Comments

TaraR wrote
on Nov 12, 2007 12:11 PM
OK, just had to share. I just tried my very first project (a super basic mitten) on DPNs. Just to be extra sure, I pulled the yarn tight after the first and second stitches on each needle, and voila, no ladders. I am a tight knitter anyway, if that matters. I also kept the working needle above the others, like someone else mentioned. At any rate, I'm pleased. Just wanted to say thanks for the suggestions! I'll be knitting socks soon!
on Nov 11, 2007 8:58 PM
Love the sweater "Henley Perfected", love knitting and love Knitting Daily best of all!! Thanks for everything! Betty C.
FrancisB wrote
on Nov 11, 2007 7:51 PM
Knitting Daily has taught me lots. It is really helpfull when you show "real" people in the sweaters. It gives us a clue how it might look on us.
BarbaraH wrote
on Nov 11, 2007 6:40 PM
Vivian M. If there is some way we can communicate, I would be willing to scan that pattern and send it to you.
My knitting group went to a (very) small sheep farm yesterday. What fun! Gretchen has 10 dairy sheep, the first in Washington state, Knows them all by name and they come and nuzzle her when she talks to them. Check gretchenswoolmill.com
Happygoo25 wrote
on Nov 11, 2007 3:08 PM
Hey Sandi, I can tell you right now that the cable at the bustline will not work. That type of detail on a full figured gal needs to be right below the full bust and radiate out to create fullness for the bust.
Happygoo25 wrote
on Nov 11, 2007 3:05 PM
I just have one comment. The photography in your latest magazine is terrible! Everything is so BLURRY! Although I do like some of the styles in the Winter issue and the article about sleeve caps, I am very disappointed in the photographs. And sometimes the photos are set up badly too. The model shouldn't have her hair strategically in the way of the collar detail! Quality photos are very important. When the instructions are not clear it is imperative that the photographs clarify them.
SusanC wrote
on Nov 11, 2007 1:51 PM
So you are planning to knit it as written and if it doesn't fit, frog it and (presumably) knit it again with adjustments. Whew. That is commitment! No fear of "second sock/sweater syndrome"? Looks like a lot of ST st...
Zaz wrote
on Nov 10, 2007 10:41 PM
yay sandi, i am happy that you chose "gathered" to "see how the cable part works".
i want to see you neck and length customisations, this one needs some.
IreneM wrote
on Nov 10, 2007 8:03 PM
I thought it very fun to pick
favorite projects in the Winter, 2007 issue. This magazine has improved so much
over time in the patterns
they feature. Irene - 11/10/07
RoseU wrote
on Nov 10, 2007 7:11 PM
Firstly just to let you know I really enjoy knitting daily. But sometimes I do not get my email on time. I also thought the idea of having a subscription to a magazine meant that you would receive it before most other people,and at least before it hits the newsstands. However I do not usually get my issue until it has been in the stores for several weeks, so I am really beginning to wonder if the subscription is really worth it. My daughter and I both love the magazine but are very unhappy with the delays of receiving it at a proper time. I do however continue to knit daily.
c_acaule9 wrote
on Nov 10, 2007 5:02 PM
I didn't vote because there was no category for me -- nothing this time out really caught my eye -- both the designs and colors just seemed too somber for me (isn't winter palette supposed to be jewel tones?). I still love IK though, and enjoyed all the articles (and have plenty of things I haven't gotten to from past issues to keep me busy until spring).
cathyinidaho wrote
on Nov 10, 2007 2:11 PM
It was fun to see the preview of the new Knits here, and I have enjoyed looking at the photos online, but I didn't vote in the survey yet because I have not found the actual issue of the magazine in any of the shops here. I would have liked to look at the magazine and then vote, but guess I've missed it on this one. I am looking foward to looking at these projects in more detail when I find a copy, though.
TammyT wrote
on Nov 10, 2007 12:11 PM
I agree with the other voters on which patterns were best. This was a great issue, overall. I noticed that no one voted for the skirt! I am always amused when I see skirts in knitting mags. It is a RARE skirt pattern that looks good on anyone. Blue Sky Alpaca offers a pleated mini pattern that probably looks good on skinny girls, but that is the only one I've ever seen that didn't make even a size "nothing" model's caboose look a mile wide. If you've ever WORN a knit skirt (guilty) you know that they sag in the rear end no matter what they are made of and are just hideously unflattering. I love the stitch pattern on the skirt in this issue but- no. I'll stick with the henley. Oh, yeah. And your writing style- don't change a thing. :-)
KimD wrote
on Nov 10, 2007 12:07 PM
Hi Sandy. I really enjoyed the favorite 2007 Winter Projects poll, and always enjoy your blog. Unfortunately, I am a subscriber of Interweave Knits who is still waiting for the Winter 2007 issue. It always shows up in my mailbox after the magazine appears on newstands. I am looking forward to seeing the projects and reading the articles when the magazine eventually arrives.

Kim
Vancouver, BC
Suevlowe wrote
on Nov 10, 2007 10:03 AM
I find it interesting that a number of the sweaters chosen seem to be ones that i as a woman more of Sandy's shape than that of the models would think may not suit my body type. I will be very interested in seeing the upcoming modelling. I really appreciated the previous photos of different sized women trying on the same style sweater.If you are going to invest a lot your time (so many of us don't have time for all the knitting we want to do)and your energy, it would be nice to know that you won't be disappointed when you are done. Keep on with the different sized models. It's great. I also think it's great that these are the people you work with, rather than professional models and that this is done in an atmosphere that doesn't appear to be a photographic set. In other word, this is more like real life! Hurray! I loved the section in the Maggie Riggetti book (i think it was called sweater design in plain english )about how to look at patterns and what the photographs were trying to hide. There was so much truth in it.
KathyL wrote
on Nov 10, 2007 9:59 AM
I for one, do so enjoy the way you express yourself with your writing. It is like becoming accustomed to the way your best friend speaks! So, lighten up Lynne, and allow yourself to enjoy the uniqueness that makes all of us individuals!!
PatF wrote
on Nov 10, 2007 8:01 AM
This would be a great time to begin showing readers who may not know how the basics of measuring and altering the pattern BEFORE you begin to knit, rather than using the time-wasting knit-as-written-and-frog method.
DonnaLee wrote
on Nov 10, 2007 6:38 AM
The gathered pullover is my favorite, too. I can't wait to try it but I want to see how it fits when you all do the gallery.
RuthB wrote
on Nov 10, 2007 4:26 AM
Dear Sandy--like others, I notice most of the patterns don't seem to fit anyone who is more of a normal size than the models pictured. I know the publishers prefer to do that so that everything looks perfect, but isn't there someone in the office who knits and is larger than a size 6? I am a large woman who wants to knit, but I don't want to waste my time on something that won't work as well for me as it does for a skinnier person. (I don't have the bust problem, mine all shifted lower!) So how about something each time you show patterns for the larger people among us?
MarjaA wrote
on Nov 10, 2007 1:31 AM
Dear Sandy,

I like the way you ask us about our opinions. But.... I live in europe and got my winter issue friday 9 november 2 pm european time. By the time i scanned through the pages it was to late to enter my bit to the poll. So next time please remember us, living overseas and give us more time before you close the entries. (Thank got i have a subscribtion. Before, it took sometimes more than two months before i could get hold of a copy !)

May your knitting needles bring love and warmth to you and your loved ones.

Marja Austin - van Steen
Carol J wrote
on Nov 10, 2007 1:29 AM
TO LYNN G it's a shame we can't just enjoy ( or don't read it) the way others express themselves w/o having to read comments about how others don't do things the way you would. I'd like to suggest as our mothers and grandmothers so often told us---if you don't have something good today, (or say it tactfully and kindly) don't say anthing at all!!!!!
VivianM wrote
on Nov 9, 2007 11:53 PM
my UFO is in the closet crying. fall 2006 issue, spartan pullover. i did something wrong, didn't fit my retired husbands belly like it should've. unravel the WHOLE thing, parked the pattern(somewhere). moved to another project till my sweater wizard arrived. all the balls are sitting there because i can't find the directions! i have the magazine but tore the pattern out to work with and it ran away! what can cap't frog do about that? i wonder if it's at area 51?
VanessaJ wrote
on Nov 9, 2007 10:02 PM
BTW I have my issue already. It was at Walmart last week. Great issue. You will not be disappointed. I have several items I would like to make.
Vanessa in Upstate NY
Aunt Honey wrote
on Nov 9, 2007 9:46 PM
Can anyone predict how the Henley Perfected would look on a bustier woman? Is there a way to add some short row shaping to the bust?
JoanneG wrote
on Nov 9, 2007 8:55 PM
I can't seem to download Jess's Gansey! Is anyone else having this problem? What shall I do?
GillianV wrote
on Nov 9, 2007 8:38 PM
Take warm knits to Toronto. It's chilly enough here in Ottawa. And I'm still waiting for my copy of IK.
JenniferS wrote
on Nov 9, 2007 8:09 PM
Yeah!!!! As a spinner, I'm thrilled to see spinning stuff ahead on knitting daily.

And I personally think that if you knit, you should try spinning. It's very relaxing! And you get yarn! What more could you want?
PamK wrote
on Nov 9, 2007 8:04 PM
Celtic tote for me. My sister was just diagnosed with cancer. I'll be spending a lot of time in the near future sitting and waiting. And hopefully teaching Sis how to knit!
FaithN wrote
on Nov 9, 2007 7:57 PM
I just have to laugh at *Cap'n Frog waits to see if he will be needed* since my Ravelry name is frogalot, as in, I really do frog a lot. ;)
mljan wrote
on Nov 9, 2007 7:10 PM
I didn't finish reading my IK until this morning, too late to vote. (I don't allow myself to look ahead at the patterns but read the book in order cover to cover. A little bit obsessive-compulsive? You bet.) Anyhoo, I would have voted for the same top 5, but will probably only make the Henley, because of the lace on top which, I hope, will provide a little air-conditioning here in Southern California. All the other sweaters, sadly, are too warm. I vote for more lace in winter issues for those in warmer climes. And about those short sentences...no prob.
SusanM wrote
on Nov 9, 2007 6:54 PM
As usual I am late to the party but I really like the Henley best of all and a couple of us, more or less your size, were also curious re the celtic knot Right in the Middle :) Good job. Happy Thanksgiving. Susan
Wendyb@3 wrote
on Nov 9, 2007 6:04 PM
First of all, I'm jealous that you get to try on the goods before casting on!

Secondly, I'll be in Toronto, too, and can't for the chilly weather. I already have my sister busy scouting out Toronto-area yarn stores!

Cheers, Wendy in SF
KarenWalter wrote
on Nov 9, 2007 5:19 PM
I too love the Gathered Pullover, but I really don't love the photos... according to the pattern info and the schematic, the purpose of the gathering cable is to shape the garment, with the widest part of the cable (the narrowest part of the garment) falling under the bust. Unfortunately the model is (I guess) too tall, and the widest part of the cable is pulled across the widest part of her bust. Not very pretty and it completely works against the cleverness of the design. I still love the sweater, I'm just sorry not to be able to see it fitted properly. Also I think achieving the correct distance between the underbust and the shoulder may require some measuring and pattern adjustment for anyone with a larger (or smaller) than normal bust. Personally I'm willing to give it a go, but first I'm swatching for Henley Perfected!
SaraJ wrote
on Nov 9, 2007 5:06 PM
Woohoo, Sandi! You get a much-deserved vacation!

It sounds like a great week for us next week; such a great variety, with such great personalities for us to get to know a bit as well.

I'm a bit disappointed the Gansey didn't make the top ten, as I worry I won't get to see it in a try-on gallery now, but I s'pose I can just wait till some FO's are shown, on-body for those that show that, on Ravelry.

I didn't "get" what people saw in the gathered pullover for awhile, but it grew on me to where I, too, was wondering how a busty gal would look. Plus, it'd probably draw attention/eyes up and away from my, um, middle parts. I'll be watching this one (much easier without the "s" on the front of that word, hee!)

Love your color choice, too! It'll look fab on you.

Since I've recently begun learning to spin (ooo, it's so SOFT!!!!), I'm park & draft beginner, that will be particularly interesting!

The first time I squeezed/squoze what I had on the spindle, I slightly jumped to alertness and exclaimed surprisedly, "Oh!!". The spinning squeezed/squoze me back! For the life of me, I'd never known how much life yarn could have!
DonnaR wrote
on Nov 9, 2007 4:52 PM
Who knew that it would be so fun to read about everyone's preferences from the winter issue! I was anxiously awaiting the results. Too bad I can't be part of the 7%...
Susan@4 wrote
on Nov 9, 2007 4:33 PM
I can't wait to see how the Gathered Pullover works for bustier gals. I'd love to make it for my daughter and she is fairly small except for her bust.
Lynn G. wrote
on Nov 9, 2007 4:19 PM
I really do enjoy your blogs and your writing style. However, one suggestion: your increasing use of single words or very short phrases, separated by periods (which you've placed in order to create emphasis and comedy) is wearing a bit thin from overuse. It definitely allows us to hear and to become familiar with your individual voice, but for some reason it was entertaining the first few times and now is becoming irritating. Maybe let us hear some other phrases or rhythms that you use commonly in your everyday speech?
RoselynR wrote
on Nov 9, 2007 4:03 PM
As you may know, Toronto is home to Canada's largest yarn store, Romni Wools at 658 Queen st. west. I spent an hour there and that wasn't enough time to really see everything they had. Don't pass up the sale room on the lower level, there are great bargains to be had on many yarns.
GJabouri wrote
on Nov 9, 2007 3:58 PM
Hi CARA B - Instructions for the Cabled Wrap Sweater on page 12 of IK are in Clara Parkes' new book "The Book of Yarn".
TaraR wrote
on Nov 9, 2007 3:50 PM
Um, so, are you going to meet up with the Yarn Harlot while you are in Toronto?? (I just get giggly over the idea of my two favorite bloggers in one place...)
MarionT wrote
on Nov 9, 2007 3:33 PM
What difficulty level is the Aran Jacket. I purchased the magazine and I am starting to swatch the pattern Just wanted to know if it would be over my head
thanks!!
MargaretD@2 wrote
on Nov 9, 2007 3:28 PM
Hello, This is the first time I have contacted you but I just wanted to say how much I enjoy reading Knitting Daily, I am a spinner & seem to always have many projects on the go at once but get a lot of ideas & inspiration from your Knitting Daily.Thank you & best wishes.AND..
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL Margaret NSW Australia
BiancaJ wrote
on Nov 9, 2007 2:58 PM
I wish you a very nice vacation!

A pattern diet is nearly impossible for me. I recevied my copy of the magazine yesterday, and still were too tired to read it (as English is not my mothertongue, this makes it more difficult). But I hope that one of the patterns will fit the yarn I saw at **** for a friend (and I really hope, the others will keep their fingers away...) and I think, this search will be successful. Kind regards from Germany
Emily wrote
on Nov 9, 2007 2:54 PM
Make suer you bring your handknits to Toronto -- it's getting cold here!
JennieV wrote
on Nov 9, 2007 2:40 PM
Ah, but you neglected to share with us how much ease you're planning with the Gathered Pullover! Love that purple.
Anonymous wrote
on Nov 9, 2007 2:21 PM
Well, enjoyed reading your comments on the top 10, but I still would like to know how you know a sweater will look good on you without trying a sample on. Thanks
CaraB wrote
on Nov 9, 2007 2:14 PM
Okay, just because I can, I am going to ask (see: BEG) again for some help finding the sweater on page 12 (cabled wrap) in the Article on Alpaca. I just can't keep my eyes off it! Pretty Please!!! Oh, and I have found some yarn for the socks and plan to knit those cute subway mittens for an xmas gift! Thanks!!
JoannH wrote
on Nov 9, 2007 2:01 PM
Just a quick note on how wonderful this knitting site continues to be.....and the book reviews.....yes, yes, yes....had the local yarn heaven,Weavers Web in New Bern order for me...Getting started knitting socks..Ann Budd....The PICTURES on technique are worth the price of the book...quality book with well written info, and LOTS of it....I'm an EXPERIENCED knitter, ski sweaters being a favorite, but this is the best yet.....Thanks again for those book reviews....and all your honest, daily surmounting of the little quirks that present themselves in KNITTING...JH
JanL wrote
on Nov 9, 2007 1:55 PM
I love that sweater and was wondering how it would look on bustier gals, too. I'd also like it to be a little longer for myself. Can't wait to see yours!
Jan
Rebecca S wrote
on Nov 9, 2007 12:26 PM
I am excited to hear that Amy will be a guest editor. I have recently learned to spin, both on a drop spindle and on wheel I borrowed from a dear friend. Its quite addicting, and very fun. It has brought a level of knowledge and understanding about fiber and what kind works for what kind of projects and why that I could never have really understood without learning this craft! It has taken my appreciation and joy in knitting to a new level. I just finished my very first skein of handspun and I am currently knitting some adorable fingerless lace mitts (from the Winter 2006 Interweave Knits). There is just something incredibly special about knitting with yarn you made yourself. I encourage everyone to try it!
Coley J wrote
on Nov 9, 2007 12:14 PM
Woohoo! All of your favorite patterns, were my favorites as well. :) I am so excited for next week, what a treat!! Your posts seem to get better and better as time goes on. I'm becoming addicted to Knitting Daily. :) Thank you Sandi! Have a wonderful vacation - you deserve it!!