Kim Werker: Talking To Knitters About Crochet

Nov 14, 2007

Melange: half knit, half crochet.(Winter 2007)

Today's Guest Star poster is Kim Werker, editor of Interweave Crochet magazine and the new book Crochet Me.

Isn't Sandi just the best? Not only are her KD posts entertaining and informative even for crocheters like me, she makes a great lunch date when I'm in Colorado to put an issue of Interweave Crochet to bed. And that's exactly what we did a couple of weeks ago: we sent the winter issue off to press.

In addition to working on the magazine, I've spent the last several weeks promoting my new book, Crochet Me. Not only is it amazing to talk about this project I'm so proud of and to tell the stories of so many talented designers, it's also an incredible privilege to meet crocheters and knitters from across the land. Oh, yes, I was surprised, too, by how many knitters came to say hi, ready to get an earful from me about crochet. I talk fast, too. So it's really an earful.

When Sandi asked me to write a guest post on KD, I thought of all the conversations I've had with knitters over the years, and wanted to take this opportunity to share some of what has come out of those chats. I'd love to know what you think. Here's the gist:

Close your eyes and picture a crocheted sweater.

Let me guess. It's made from double crochet. It's dense. It's hot (in the warm sense). It resembles body armour. As a knitter, it's an affront to all you value about handstitched garments.

Now open your eyes and take a look at the latest issue of Interweave Crochet, or at Crochet Me. Nary a body-armour garment in the bunch. Why?

Antoinette Cardigan (coming Winter 2007)

It's because to achieve a flattering, pleasing fit in crochet you have to approach three things just as carefully as you approach them for a knitting project: Yarn, stitch, and hook size. The only difference between knitting and crochet is that, well, they're different from each other. Crochet stitches are denser than knit stitches, and there's a far wider variety of them to choose from. That can be overwhelming. I can't stress enough how important it is to swatch early and swatch often! Grab an hour and some yarn and needles and hooks, and take a wee journey with me.

Make a stockinette stitch swatch in one yarn on the needles you'd normally knit it with. Then make a swatch in single, half double, or double crochet with a hook the same size as the needles. Then make a third swatch, this time with a hook at least one full millimeter-size larger.

In either case, the crochet swatch will be thicker than the knit swatch. That's because a crochet stitch is essentially a tube, while stockinette stitch can lay pretty much flat. It's tempting to write off crochet right there, isn't it? To say, "Crochet is too dense and thick to make a flattering garment." But that's lazy, folks. Notice that the third swatch, on a larger hook, drapes much better than the one made with a smaller hook. A sweeping generalization about crocheting garments: Use a lighter-weight yarn and a bigger hook than recommended. This isn't because crochet is worse, it's simply that crochet is different from what you're so familiar with.

Really, whether you're interested in crochet or not, being thoughtful about yarn, stitch, and implement size is key to any successful project.

What do you think? I'd really love to know.

Visit Kim's blog on interweavecrochet.com.

Kim's final book tour appearance will be this Thursday, November 15th, from 7-9 pm at Unwind in Burbank, California (www.unwindyarn.com).

Sandi Wiseheart is the editor of Knitting Daily.

Where in the world is Sandi knitting today? Sandi is knitting her way around Toronto, Canada for a bit, while she visits with loved ones. She'll be back as soon as she finishes a few more rows...

Comments

DavidB wrote
on Dec 27, 2007 11:43 PM
Here, here Kim!

Crocheted fabric can be fluid, lank, and springy.

Besides proper hook size, yarn weight, and fiber type other things the crocheters should have under his or her belt to make supple crocheted fabric are:

1. Extended Stitches
2. Front and back loop stitches
3. Slip stitch crochet (large hook Bosnian crochet)
4. Stretchy Stitches: hdc, ribbing, twisted front loop stitches
5. Tunisian Crochet
6. Linked Stitches
7. Vertical Construction
8. Stitch combining (moss/granite stitch in sc & dc, alternating stitches, multidirectional stitching)

Using these techniques you can create solid crocheted fabric with drape that rivals knitting.

My favorite crochet technique is Tunisian Crochet. Ever knitter I've shown my Tunisian Crochet pieces to has at first thought that they were knitted. Large hook Bosnian crochet also masterfully produces drapey, thin crochet fabric. And you can do must of this with worsted weight yarn.

Unfortunately, there isn't the kind of high level education that crocheters need all in one place that I'm aware of. Perhaps one day I'll put what I've learned in a book.

David Benjamin
Cora Shaw wrote
on Dec 8, 2007 3:23 PM
I am shocked over the animosity by knitters to crocheters. I learned to knit 20 yrs ago and to crochet 15. I originally wanted to learn because I was making a doll and her clothing for my daughter for Christmas (she was 5 at the time). The edging was in crochet.

I asked a friend of mine to help me as I had noticed that she could wield that hook like no tomorrow. So we agreed I would teach her to knit and she would teach me crocheting. We often worked on small items (We both had children under the age of 5.), therefore knitting an crochet worked for us. I loved to make toys, I knit Jean Greenhowe and Alan Dart designs. I have fallen in love with Amigurumi, which I noticed that Kim loves to design.

Crochet and Knit have there place in the world. I don't think I would have ever learned how to crochet if I had shown that kind of animosity to my friend. There is so much else going on in the world.

Why are we fight?

Cora
on Dec 6, 2007 4:47 PM
Thanks very much for this article. "Finer yarn, larger hook" is the relevation I needed. I'd love to put touches of crochet into my projects now.Ignore the angry, close-minded knitters; they give the rest of us a bad name. They'd never have the backbone to be so rude and catty in person.
ChristenR wrote
on Dec 6, 2007 1:34 PM
Wow wow wow.

I learned to crochet when I was 15, and I always enjoyed being able to create something. But I could never find crochet patterns for sweaters and the like that I wanted to wear. The patterns I did find I didn't like all that much. Wanting to always expand my horizons, I took up knitting. It was AFTER learning to knit, that I discovered the versatility in yarns, sizes of needles used and patterns and pattern designing. Unfortunately, it's also where I learned the hate for crochet by knitters. Why is that? On the same hand, some knitters who say they would LOVE to learn to crochet.

So Patricia G who posted that crocheters are taking over: 1) I highly doubt it. 2) Good.

Versatility in craft is a wonderful thing. And I thank Knitting Daily for not assuming knitters care for only one thing and that some of us like seeing what else can be done with the fiber we all love using. So thank you.

I'm stunned what humans can find to complain about.
ADDIE wrote
on Dec 5, 2007 9:20 AM
Oh Norah,

I got another one, knittingdaily.com

Addie

PS I like a hook in my basket in case I drop a stitch, but anything works.
It is not "survival".

I guess you really do not know about knitting.

so, Norah,

"Interesting" yourself, sunshine.

AC
ADDIE wrote
on Dec 5, 2007 8:55 AM
Norah--you missed my point and--some knitting mags don't do what I said, HOWEVER plenty DO and it is irritating to a lot of knitters.

To answer your question--
What knitting magazines include crochet?

I have Vogue knitting with crochet articles and family circle as well, plus both have off shoots with some crochet included sometimes.

If they had instructions for an item to be done both ways,

like the item in your magazine that would be cool,
but hard on the editors.
Maybe impossible
A nice dream though.
MargoD wrote
on Dec 3, 2007 7:28 PM
As a lover of both techniques, I'll admit, I find the exsistence of the conflict interesting when a crocheter can exsist without a single knitting needle in their stash, but a knitter can't survive without a crochet hook...curious

Share the love, feel the fiber!
NorahW wrote
on Dec 2, 2007 1:08 AM
Addit, I was just curious, what knitting mags have a bunch of crochet in them? I get all the major knitting mags in the US, and the only time I see crochet is the one crochet feature they have in Knit'n Style (they have one sweater interpreted in both knit & crochet), and sometimes a couple patterns in Knit 1 and Knit Simple or Knitscene. Also, I'm not sure if it's true that most crocheters don't knit--i know lots of people who do both.
ADDIE wrote
on Nov 29, 2007 6:00 AM
I JUST WROTE KIND OF A SNOOTY SOUNDING POST, SO I THOUGHT I WOULD QUICK MENTION, I DO ACTUALLY ADD CROCHET EDGINGS TO MY KNITTING, SOMETIMES, FOR A QUICK, NICE LACE EDGING.

SEE, KNITTERS ARE NOT CLOSED MINDED AND EVIL.
ADDIE wrote
on Nov 29, 2007 5:56 AM
I DON'T GET THE NAME CALLING, BUT THE SIDE TAKING MAY HAVE A LITTLE TO DO WITH PAYING

(SOMETIMES A LOT)

FOR A KNITTING MAG AND OFTEN FINDING IT 1/2 FULL OF CROCHET PATTERNS.

---CROCHET AND KNITTING ARE DIFFERENT, JUST LIKE NEEDLEPOINT AND CROSS STITCH ARE TWO DIFFERENT THINGS.---

ALSO, THEY ARE CLEARLY NOT THE SAME BECAUSE MOST CROCHETERS CANNOT KNIT.

JUST LIKE I CAN DO CROSS STITCH, BUT NOT NEEDLEPOINT.

CROCHETERS DON'T USUALLY SEE A DIFFERENCE, BUT CROCHET

MAGAZINES DO NOT HAVE KNITTING PUSHED ON THEM IN CROCHET MAGAZINES, MEANING

THEIR EDITORS CAN TELL THE DIFFERENCE.
LUCKY THEM.

I BUY A MAGAZINE ABOUT DACHSHUNDS, AND THEY DO NOT HAVE ARTICLES ABOUT OTHER TYPES OF PETS,
WHY WOULD THEY?

SOME OF MY BEST FRIENDS CROCHET.
on Nov 28, 2007 11:37 AM

KarinB wrote
on Nov 23, 2007 5:41 PM
I've been convinced to jump back into crochet, something I once did almost as avidly as I now knit! Are the dates when Int Crochet hit stores printed somewhere. This Winter 2007 issue will be a "must have".
Louisa wrote
on Nov 20, 2007 7:50 PM
Oh. My. Gosh. Why on earth is there all this kafuffle over NOTHING! Fibre folks who can't be civil to each other? I'm totally amazed. And yes, I'm polycraftual - I not only knit AND crochet (and have done so since I was a little kid) but I also weave, spin, dye, felt, rughook, bead and a bunch of other things. Do I worry if one one post is not to my taste? Heck no! Move on to one that's more interesting. There's lots to choose from out there. Do I want everyone around me to agree with my choices or my opinions? I would never expect that in a million years. But I just cannot figure out where this modern "war of the yarn tools" started. And Some People are responsible for carrying it on. Move on. Crochet, knit or do both in the same project! (And while you're at it, why not slap on some dye, sew on a few beads, and make it all out of handspun yarn!) And please allow everyone to choose their methods in peace. It's hurtful and stupid to pick sides in a conflict that shouldn't even exist. Whew!

You're doing great, Kim, honey! I'd like to think I had a little bit to do with your success...heh.
ShannonJ wrote
on Nov 19, 2007 2:04 PM
Michelle J,

Try Tunisian Crochet. Historians believe crochet came first, and that Tunisian crochet then led to knitting. (Sorry info for all you crochet-haters).

Anyway, Tunisian, a.k.a Afghan crochet, leaves all of the stitches on the hook, just like knitting. The only difference is that you must "bind off" before advancing to the next row and once again putting lots of stitches on your hook. If you're interested, check into it. Also, I recently saw a book listed in the patternworks catalog about translating knitting patterns into crochet and vice versa. Might be interesting to anyone finding a patten they really like in a technique they don't use.
ShannonJ wrote
on Nov 19, 2007 1:41 PM
I've just caught up reading everyone else's posts and ENOUGH with the whining about crochet already. My God! What a bunch of snobby, spoiled-rotten babies! One would think you had been physically threatened into reading the post for the day. It said at the very top who that day's guest writer was. You didn't HAVE to read it. You are also being unimaginably RUDE to a guest that Sandi invited to fill in for her. How mortified Sandi must be at the treatment her fill-in has received. Shame on each of you for your childish and petty behavior!
ShannonJ wrote
on Nov 19, 2007 1:21 PM
I have crocheted since I was 6 years old, (I'm 30 now, so that's 24 years of my life) and now that I also knit, I enjoy finding ways to blend the two together. At my local yarn shop, I'm often confronted by people who think crochet is way too difficult, or, conversely, way too simple and grandma-ish. And by far the biggest complaint is how stiff and dense crochet can be. It's nice to hear, or read, rather, someone else giving the same advice I usually give to confirmed knitters, that yarn selection and hook selection must be made together. Do not pick a bulky yarn and a small hook size unless you WANT the fabric to stand up on its own. But that doesn't mean crochet can't also be beautiful and delicate. There are many lace patterns that simply cannot be done in knitting. It's nice to see crochet entering the spotlight again.
MichelleJ wrote
on Nov 18, 2007 11:52 PM
I am a knitter who would love to be able to crochet, but I can't get my head around it. I think it is to do with stitches not being on the hook. I can't work out which is the end. I am surprised about comments that crochet is ugly. I think all over stocking stitch is nicer than all over double crochet (I think you call it single crochet - I'm Australian), but there are so many other beautiful stitches. I'm not much into garter stitch, but that doesn't mean I hate knitting (I love it). I was given some great crocheting patterns from the 70's. The catsuits may not work for today but a lot was right up to the minute.

My Mum will be visiting me over Christmas, so I am hoping for a crocheting tutorial - even if it is hot.
Ketlian wrote
on Nov 17, 2007 11:55 PM
I am a self taught "stitcher" Whether it's crochet or knitting, there are beautiful yarns begging to be stitched up. When I am knitting, strangers ask what I'm crocheting. I tell them what I'm working on, never bothering to correct them. I am happier with the results I achieve over the method. KD is here to open our horizons, improve our skills and help us make beautiful things. I would rather feel the fibers and get into the rhythm of the stitches than gripe about the method.
NorahW wrote
on Nov 17, 2007 1:57 PM
Michelle R: Crochet can be drapy though, and it was what Kim was saying in her article! You have to use smaller yarns and larger hooks! If you knit with bulky yarns and small needles it'll end up standing up by itself too.

And using drapey types of yarns (like bamboo) helps too.

And including shaping, especially sleeve shaping, in the pattern. It's only in the last year that you see crocheted sweater patterns with set-in or raglan sleeves and waist shaping, while knitwear designers have been including these elements in their pattterns for several years, since the trend has been to wear shaped garments. If you design a boxy sweater, it'll be boxy, especially if it's crocheted (or for that matter, knitted in a bulky yarn).

There was a perception that this was what crocheters wanted in their garments: boxy shaping and large yarn to avoid having to do as much crocheting or worrying about shaping, but apparently crocheters have stepped up and said we want our stuff to be as flattering as knitwear, so designers have obviously been listening.

As far as crochet in current fashion: Go to any online retailer of stylish clothing, type in "crochet" and you'll probably find a few lacy, drapy crocheted garments, so I don't think you can even say it's not in style now. It's everywhere. And if not the whole garment, it's used as a trim. There are also a lot of scarves and hats that are crocheted. Scarves have to be drapey.
BarbaraN wrote
on Nov 17, 2007 11:04 AM
You gals gotta lighten up! Crochet or Knit...who cares!? They are both a form of yarn creativity. In the whole scheme of things, this is a very minute thing to get so upset about.
MichelleR@2 wrote
on Nov 17, 2007 9:17 AM
Here is another thought on crochet garments. Perhaps it is also dependent on current fashion. Right now, I think the expectation is for garments to drape and be flexible. However, if firmness may de a desired characteristic, as in outerwear, coats,purses, chanel jackets, crochet would be effective. Just look at the popularity of felted knitting- reducing the flexibility and movement.
I think it is a matter of design skill and working expertise.
M.M wrote
on Nov 17, 2007 8:19 AM
CROCHET HATRED THEORY:Here's my take on the hostility (I like both crochet & knitting so don't look at me): I would love to know how many of the angry posters actually subscribe to Interweave Knits magazine or any of the other knitting magazines. It seems they're just trying to get their info via this FREE website and are getting frustrated by the deviations from their target. I buy enough subscriptions to knitting mags and knitting books that if the topic of the day on Knitting Daily is something uninteresting, it really doesn't matter. These people really need to put this FREE website in perspective and redirect their childish whining to their PAID knitting subscriptions.
BronS wrote
on Nov 17, 2007 6:01 AM
Hey Kim
Thanks for the guest post =)
Love the Antoinette cardie - gorgeous!!!
Fliss wrote
on Nov 17, 2007 4:03 AM
Kim, Thank you so much for that simple advice about using a larger hook than you'd expect as a knitter - if only I'd known that before starting the body armour jacket in beautiful colours that I am now half through. Hey ho, we live and learn, Fliss
NorahW wrote
on Nov 16, 2007 8:44 PM
Karen F: Kim posted in the middle of the comments somewhere that Melange would be in the Winter Interweave Crochet.
KarenF@2 wrote
on Nov 16, 2007 8:05 PM
Where is the pattern for the melange sweater? It's absolutely gorgeous!!!!! How can you dangle it in front of us and not tell us how to get it?
MichelleR@2 wrote
on Nov 16, 2007 11:53 AM
That's a good idea- call it Interweave Daily- and be free to discuss anything. I knit, but there are lots of things I don't think I will EVER knit, such as socks! I learned to crochet long before I learned to knit. I LOVE crochet! For laces of any type, afghans, household articles,I am convinced it is unsurpassed for durability and ease of care. I am very happy to see talented writers and designers devoting their efforts to creating more fashionable and versatile garments. Perhaps this can turn the image of crochet from the ugly, frumpy, "easy" craft. I like granny squares, but don't want to wear them!
There is a TREMENDOUS amount of prejudice against crocheting out there. I have even had people who NEITHER knit OR crochet tell me that crochet is only for the "lower classes"! However, historically, I do not see that prejudice. In the Weldon's series reprinted by Interweave Press, it seems there are as many crochet patterns as knit. Queen Victoria and other members of the royal family were crocheters. So, I am wondering what events in society produced this prejudice.
And, I enjoy seeing the advertisements for other Interweave books and available information. Saves me the trouble of looking for it!
Korinthe wrote
on Nov 16, 2007 11:06 AM
Regarding the ads for books, etc... the newsletter subscribe/unsubscribe page is misleading. If you unsubscribe from the advertising you get unsubscribed from the whole shebang (but you can still get the free patterns and post comments as a member).

What works for me: subscribing to the KD feed and visiting via my feed reader (Google Reader). No ads in the email, but all the yummy fiber content.

Regarding the technique hating... dude. Be grateful for all of the free and clever knitting content. So maybe the blog should have been named "Interweave Daily" -- you can see what it is, and if you don't appreciate what is offered to you, go somewhere else (and be polite about it).
SharonH wrote
on Nov 16, 2007 10:58 AM
If you go to "Manage Account" you can unsub from just the promos, from recieving the newsletter, or both.

I unsubbed from both after the last bit of irritation I had with it all. I still come here and read the posts, but now none of them bother me because they don't feel foisted on me.

I know it's a bit silly, but human emotions aren't logical.

As for crochet, I think it's ugly. This doesn't mean I dislike people who crochet. There is a difference. I'm glad crocheters have found a way to enjoy the nice yarn for themselves, but I'd never wear anything that used crochet as a main design point. It is, however, great for utilitarian hotpads and a single crochet worked around a neckline is great for stabilization.
YavannaR wrote
on Nov 16, 2007 10:44 AM
I taught myself how to knit and crochet, and I find myself switching between the two genre constantly. I love the lacy structures available in crochet, and how easy it is to crochet in any direction. Sadly many knitters are either crochet prejudiced, or unknowledgeable. Even going into yarn stores, it is hard to find anyone who can give me crochet advice! As someone who both enjoys crochet and knitting, I think crochet has overal gotten a bad rap. I love crochet. It has amazing versatility if you are willing to give it a good try. I also find that it often works up quicker than knitting, giving me a sense of instant gratification.
LaurieB wrote
on Nov 16, 2007 9:34 AM
Wow, never seen such grumpy fiber lovers before. This site is like any other free opinion site, the writer posts what she feels moved to post, and if you don't like it, you don't have to look at it. Why is that today's culture seems to glorify people jumping all over people that they don't agree with, instead of listening politely and conversing pleasantly? This is KD, not The O'Reilly Factor.

So, here's my Thanksgiving wish....I hope lots of people spend this weekend doing some relaxing work with a yummy yarn, letting the rhythm soothe their souls.
LindaF wrote
on Nov 16, 2007 9:26 AM
From a very young age my mother taught me that if you have nothing nice to say then the best thing to say is nothing at all. I thought I would pass those words of wisdom on here. It is never too late to learn something new.
Happygoo25 wrote
on Nov 16, 2007 2:26 AM
SPAM alert. Knittingdaily@P vs. knittingdaily@E. It is easy to spot the difference.
BeckyB@3 wrote
on Nov 15, 2007 11:50 PM
I love the idea of combining knit and crochet! Is there a resource out there, anywhere for more of these patterns?
VeronicaV wrote
on Nov 15, 2007 11:37 PM
Thanks for the melange! I don't believe in segregation and love seeing the beautiful mixed offspring when both knitting and crochet are combined in one pattern.
NorahW wrote
on Nov 15, 2007 11:31 PM
Also, not all crocheters have the same political bent either, in case some people didn't realize this.
on Nov 15, 2007 11:28 PM
In all honesty, I don't knit. I'm 100% crocheter. Part of the reason I don't knit is because of the snob-factor. I'd much rather be in the elite few (actually, crocheters outnumber knitters so there's really more of us than you might think) than to be considered a member of the snob squad. What a waste of creative energy!

Bless your lil' knitting hearts for being so bitter towards the "C" word. You don't have to like using a hook, but please don't diss the people who do. We all love yarn and we all create wonderful things with it.

Crocheters don't think so badly of you guys. Actually, it's quite the opposite. We almost feel sorry for those who refuse to think outside of the box--even for a free newsletter--and be accepting of others and their craft.

Btw, there's actually some knitting in a couple of our crochet magazines, too. Eep! How will we ever survive!
JanetL@2 wrote
on Nov 15, 2007 11:18 PM
Um, not to be uppity or anything, but if I were interested in crochet rather than knitting, I would subscribe to a crochet newsletter. If this is called "Knitting Daily" why are we getting all of this stuff on crocheting? If you'd like to go this direction, please alert us or change the name to "Crochet Daily" so that we can sort out the info we are interested in. Just my two cents. I'll probably cancel out if it is going to be crochet-oriented. There are other knitting sites. Thanks.
Meeb wrote
on Nov 15, 2007 10:11 PM
yeah, patrica g..i've done customer service work. i bet i'd remember you.

if, heaven forfend, you can't abide looking at the promo offers, sort them at your inbox. different incoming addresses.
KelleyS wrote
on Nov 15, 2007 10:10 PM
Thanks for the post Kim. I am a knitter who feels compelled to round out my yarn hobby by becoming more familiar with crochet. Many patterns combine the two techniques because they complement each other so well. It's difficult for me to understand why there is a segregation of the two fiber crafts. It's unnecessary and unfortunate.
Please don't classify all the KD subscribers with those who didn't know when to practice some restraint in their comments today. I appreciate your expertise on crochet and welcome you back anytime.
NorahW wrote
on Nov 15, 2007 8:09 PM
I never thought I would, but because of all the hate on here about crocheters, I'm going to unsubscribe. I guess there must be something wrong with me to prefer crocheting but still love to read about knitting, so I'm just going to go and read about crochet all the time and hate on anything that mentiones knit.
PamB@2 wrote
on Nov 15, 2007 6:08 PM
I love KD and I think it's great that people will step up to the plate so Sandi can have some time off. I can't wait to see who will be Friday's guest host. Those of you that have replied in anger - seek therepy, or at least go smell and touch a skein of yarn and calm your nerves.
Silverlb45 wrote
on Nov 15, 2007 4:39 PM
I really enjoy the magazine;the projects are beautiful and instructions are well-written. I am a beginning knitter and made the "minimalist cardigan" from the Fall 2007 issue. Good job!
PatriciaG wrote
on Nov 15, 2007 4:10 PM
Someone mentioned earlier that crochet had only been brought up 3 times since this newsletter had started. Personally I think once was enough.

I mentioned before that I learned to crochet before I learned to knot. I also stated that I HATE crochet. I still hate it with a passion. I have had more than 10 people tell me that knitting is ugly and that I should crochet. With that in mind I will repeat, I HATE crochet!

Now, I realize this is a free newsletter, but my second beef is with the ads for books and other magazines. I feel like those are spam in my inbox. Could we possibly have the word advertisement in the subject line so that I can delete it instead of opening it?

I also agree with someone about the amount of patterns available. I have always found more patterns for crochet than knitting. So, to have a knitting newsletter that once in a while has a pattern in it is a blessing. I love this newsletter when it talks about knitting, but the ads and the crochet add up enough to ruin it. It is like customer service work, you can have nice people come through your line all day, but you are only going to remember the one that pissed you off.

Sandi, I do want to say that I DO think you are doing a wonderful job. I just don't want to talk about crochet or books I can't afford to buy.
Coley J wrote
on Nov 15, 2007 3:27 PM
JUST AN FYI - the pattern for the Melange is in the Winter 2007 Interweave Crochet....for all who were asking. :)
ahuzzie@2 wrote
on Nov 15, 2007 2:15 PM
This is another example of why it is important to swatch. It is the best way to be sure you get the fit and the drape you desire from your knitted or crochet fabric.

I've recently noticed that some yarns have changed the recommended hook size on their labels. For example Lion brand's new Vanna's choice recommends 5.5mm needle but a 6.0mm hook.
LadyKRose wrote
on Nov 15, 2007 2:03 PM
I am baffled by the very hostile opposing opinions about knit v. crochet. I have always considered them two sides of the same coin. And, I am mostly self-taught. I am blessed to be able to follow directions and have the correct outcome. SOmething I figured out in 6th or 7th grade when my older sister and I knit the same item and mine looked like the picture and hers didn't.
Needle/hook sizes - in the last few years, I have used the needle/hook size that gave me the best result...visually & by feel of the fabric produced. For crochet, that usually means going up a size or two. For knit, it often means decreasing a size or two. Go figure.
I recently discovered that intensive knitting [being in a club for 3 years and knitting pretty constantly] does alter one's personal gauge. Mine used to be exactly what the patterns called for; but it got looser and I now have to go down a size or two to get the right result. Means I MUST swatch if I expect a pattern to come out as listed.
Kim - glad to know that the drapability of crochet is something we can finegle. I especially like crochet for dishcloths because of its denser construction.
I recently found a crochet hook set with larger handles and the hooks can be changed at will, like the circular knit sets. It was designed by a woman with MS and has two different ergonomic handles, which should make crocheting less stressful on wrists. I'm really pleased with this development in crochet hooks. Comes in a nice zipped case too. ;~)))
on Nov 15, 2007 1:37 PM
Kim, while I prefer knitting, I grew up crocheting, and I have the most beatiful lacy vest that my mother crocheted for me when I was about 18, I didn't appreciate it then, but I did about 10 years later and wore it many times and proudly! I myself found a beatiful hooded jacket pattern for my eldest daughter which I actually made before she grew up! It was white and in a stitch I had never seen before. I salute your quest to find lovely fashion savvy designs and will be watching! Mary L
CathyW wrote
on Nov 15, 2007 1:04 PM
Joan S (and anyone else who cares):
Crochet hooks come in two types - steel, used for lace threads, that come in size 00 (largest) through 14 (smallest), and "regular", used for yarn and made of the same materials as knitting needles, that come in sizes B (smallest) through Q or S (largest). Newer hooks in both styles should also have mm marked on them. There's some overlap between the two sets at the large end of steel and high end of "regular".

And for the same yarn, you would probably grab a crochet hook a size or two larger than the equivalent millimeter size of the knitting needle you'd normally use, unless you're trying to make a stiff fabric.
TonyaK wrote
on Nov 15, 2007 12:50 PM
Thanks Kim! It's great to hear from you!

I really don't get all the hate on here, but I wouldn't be aposed to a Crochet Daily!!!
Bpv.johnston wrote
on Nov 15, 2007 12:39 PM
Afterthought: When I buy a knitting magazine I expect knitting patterns NOT crocheted patterns. That is annoying.
Bpv.johnston wrote
on Nov 15, 2007 12:35 PM
Yuck, sorry but still don't like the look of crocheted garments. I am not even a fan of crocheted blankets. I do however like some of the crocheted edging.
MandyH wrote
on Nov 15, 2007 12:11 PM
Thanks for the guest appearance, Kim. I really enjoyed reading your comments. I have not played with crochet for some time - I must root out those hooks again. Like Jan P, who commented above, I really would love to see the pattern for Melange. Now that really appeals - a true mix of both crochet and knitting and so attractive a design too.
Mandy.
Zaz wrote
on Nov 15, 2007 12:01 PM
somehow i just hate crocheted items look even these!
Zaz wrote
on Nov 15, 2007 12:01 PM
somehow i just hate crocheted items look even these!
LiaN wrote
on Nov 15, 2007 11:19 AM
I like reading the articles about crochet. I do a lot more knitting than crochet, but I enjoy learning new things and seeing new patterns. I don't felt, I don't dye my own yarn, I used to weave but don't anymore; however, I enjoy reading about people who do these things, and I wish I had the time or place to do some of them myself (maybe I will someday). I'm glad to see articles about various techniques, and I'm happy to see that the majority of your readers feel the same way!
on Nov 15, 2007 9:49 AM
I found this article very interesting. I've crocheted for many years, but have been knitting for only the past few years. I find I prefer knitting because it is easier on my arthritic thumbs. However, I love the variety of crochet stitches and the fact that you don't have to worry about dropped stitches.
My problem with crochet publications is the amount of space devoted to toys, tissue box covers, etc. which I find tacky and have no interest in.
Please share the pattern or a link to the Melange sweater. This is the type of crochet I crave!!
JoanS wrote
on Nov 15, 2007 9:32 AM
I'm mostly a knitter who crochets edgings - but am so terribly confused by hook sizes. Even charts don't really help, because there are steel hooks and "other" hooks - same mm, different size? What's that all about? Should you just match the MM size to the MM size of the knitting needles you're using?
BethanyH wrote
on Nov 15, 2007 8:36 AM
I typically use a larger hook than the yarn recomend or the size recommended in a pattern.
I've been working on a vest that required two different hook sizes and when doing my gauge swatch found I needed a hook two sizes smaller than the small hook and a whole size larger than the large hook! How strange is that!
I was so proud that I actually swatched too. :)
I love reading the e-mails so long as they aren't an add but I really have come to expect an add every so often if I give my e-mail to a listing. That's the way the web works. At least with KD it's always a fiber related add!
DeniseMarieS wrote
on Nov 15, 2007 5:53 AM
The generations of my family have only knit, as far as I know. I have pulled out all my how to books at times when I have run into edging on a knitted item that needs to be chrocheted. I have never wanted to learn chrocheting enough to make a complete garment of it. I enjoy knitting. But, knitting is only one of my hobbies. I have never wanted to learn how to felt, or punch-embroider. I feel I already do enough that I do not need to start anything new. I enjoyed the tidbit about how crocheting can look different by using large needle and lighter yarn. It was nice to hear a different point of view.
A little off the subject? I read the article in the Winter 2007 Interweave Knits about cap sleeves??? I was totally lost!!! Thought I was back in some college class working on a math problem that never made any sense (Trig.???) How can anyone learn something that is too long and confusing????
ElaineM wrote
on Nov 15, 2007 3:18 AM
Have turned sleuth to track down the melange pattern - nothing on your site, and Google tells me that it's a "pattern of paleotemperature indicators". Crikey. Give us a link, please! Actually, give us the pattern, we'll subscribe to IC in return Elaine x
NorahW wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 10:30 PM
I wanted to add that, even though I mentioned that a couple of times I wasn't as interested in a post, the rest of the articles are very enjoyable and informative. And I'll still read Knitting Daily even if the word crochet is never mentioned again.
Jayne wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 10:22 PM
HOLY MANOLY... Sandi's not going to want to come back.
Meeb wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 10:16 PM
to andi s ..."kittens with opposable thumbs"... chuckle. i like that.
NorahW wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 9:54 PM
Also, Kim, I agree that larger hooks and smaller yarn makes crochet much more wearable and drapy.

And crochet-haters, no one wants you to start crocheting if you don't want to. And also, crocheters get the "why don't you learn to knit" comments probably much more than knitters do, since knitters are in the majority.
And many crocheters can also knit, even those who prefer to crochet for various reasons.

There are so many more places to read about knitted clothing than the crocheted variety. I can understand it's disappointing to see a crochet article on "Knitting Daily", but since Interweave hasn't started a Crochet Daily, I'm not sure why people are so upset about a few little crochet mentions.

I bet if you were to take a survey there are far more crocheters who feel that knitting is "forced" upon them or that fiber sites are overrun with it. (And I use that word "force" very loosely, because no one on here is forcing anyone to do either.) Look at Ravelry--at least if you're talking about clothing, the crocheted clothing pattern listings are only a fraction of the knitted ones

Can't people just ignore the crochet if it bothers them? I'm not much into felting, and there have been articles about that, and a couple times patterns I wasn't interested in were featured, or discussions weren't what I was interested in reading about, but I just deleted them. I thought that was what most people did, not threaten to cancel your subscription because you found a couple articles that you weren't interested in.
NorahW wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 9:43 PM
I just checked the stats, and there have been 86 posts of this newletter since it started back in April, about 7 months ago. Unless I'm reading it wrong, 3 have been specifically about crochet. This is 3.5% of the total posts that featured crochet, though I'm sure that a few posts might have *gasp* mentioned the "C" word in passing. Oh the horror! ;)

OK, I can't make my sarcasm really funny--all that crocheting must've warped my brain!
A.E wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 9:36 PM
My oh my! What a fuss about crochet. Personally, I prefer knitting, but there are things about crochet that are absolutely essential for me.

1. It's a great way to tackle the repeated movement problem. I like to keep a crochet project going to give my wrists a break from knitting during the day.

2. Sometimes it's way easier to crochet certain materials than to knit them... like with "yarn" made from cut up t-shirts or plastic bags.

Kim, I love the advice about trying larger crochet hooks and thinner yarn to improve drape. Thanks, and keep up your wonderful work!
NorahW wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 9:34 PM
So, everyone is just really angry because a free newsletter didn't have the thing you wanted to talk about featured today?
JaynaM wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 9:33 PM
Gretchen, please do.
JaynaM wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 9:30 PM
I do love the hot pink mega-sized Irish crocheted shawl on the cover.
PatriciaG wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 9:05 PM
[quote]Enough with the crochet already!! I know the mag exists, please stop trying to push this stuff on us!!!

And yes, I know how to crochet. I learned to crochet before I learned how to knit, but this is called KNITTING Daily.

Comment by: Gretchen M | November 14, 2007[/quote]

Here! Here! I agree!!! If you wanna talk about crochet, then make a 'crochet daily' don't torture me with this crap. I too learned to crochet first, and you know what.... I HATE it!

I've posted before about disliking the crochet mixed in with the knitting. Its happened enough now that sometimes I dread opening my knitting daily email because I figure it is either a sales pitch for a book I can't afford to buy or it is about crochet.

I am seriously considering unsubscribing to this newsletter because of it.
NorahW wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 8:37 PM
I don't understand the anger either!

Is it a political thing, from people from the US? Because we don't all have the same political beliefs, and there are crocheters all over the political spectrum, as well as apolitical crocheters!

We don't all support the same things, just because you might happen to know some crocheters who are very vocally part of one particular political stripe!

We don't all belong to the same religion either, and believe that anyone who doesn't belong to that religion is going to have something bad happen to them in the afterlife. Some of us belong to some other religion, some of us are not religious. Some of us are even atheists or agnostics!

There is so much hate whenever the editors chose to occasionally feature crocheting, that I feel sure there is something else back of it than simple disappointment about not getting's one's knitting fix on Knitting Daily for one day.

What if there was an article about weaving, would there be the same anger?

I know this wasn't the topic, but it would be so interesting if someone who wrote the angry posts could explain to us why they're so angry at the mention of crochet.
NorahW wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 8:37 PM
I don't understand the anger either!

What if there was an article about weaving, would there be the same anger?

DonnaW@2 wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 8:31 PM
part 2 - perhaps interweave needs to open up a new site for those enamored of the blending of knit and crochet but I am so NOT a fan I was hoping this site could stretch the knitting world since there is SO much yet to explore in wearable knit instead of being diluted --very disappointed to see this direction-
KathleenM@2 wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 8:27 PM
Dear Kim, thank you for guest writing today's post. I enjoyed it very much. I have always used a hook at least 2 sizes larger than the pattern specifies. It's nice to know that now I have "permission."
I am embarrassed by some of the previous comments. The anonymity of the internet sometimes leads to bad manners.
DonnaW@2 wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 8:25 PM
truthfully --there has been so much published on crochet most of our lives but until the last 10+ years knitting was 2 pages of single spacecomplicated symbols and NOT friendly to most of us so I guess I am not surprised that once again crochet tries to take over.. there are many things that aslo go along well with knitting - dyeing and weaving and spinning and knit embelllishment emboidery on our knitting BUT if we wanted that we would be going to a site called fiber something not knitting
Teresa(NC) wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 7:40 PM
I was a crocheter many years before I became a knitter. I love both arts and I really HATE the mean spiritedness I hear posted in these comments about this lovely fiber art. People can be so small and close minded. So sad.

I agree, Kim, that to make any piece of crochet more fluid you must use a larger hook size and a smaller yarn. I was in a yarn shop when a customer asked what size hook they should use for something, the knitter owner of the shop directed them to the same mm size hook as needle that would be used. I wanted to scream, "NO, please use a larger hook, otherwise you'll end up with a piece that will stand on its own".
That's one way crochet has gotten a bad wrap and continues to be misunderstood.
Hopefully, with the crochetme website, books and magazines some enlightenment will come for those poor misguided souls.
However, I doubt there's ANY help for those who choose to close their minds to anything new and wonderful because they want to stay in their own little small worlds and be mean.
Denellw wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 6:55 PM
I find the animosity rather amusing. When I was visiting my grandmother last fall I mentioned that I had picked up knitting. You could see the disgust on her face as she commented that knitting is for the lazy. At 95 she can barely see but still crochets intricate lace patterns on the tiniest hooks.

Oh, well, I enjoy both and combine them frequently.
BarbaraH wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 6:45 PM
Kim that really puts a new light on crocheted garments. I have done a lot of crochet one way and another, but never garments for the reasons you express. Maybe it's time to look beyond granny squares and snowflakes.
KayW wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 6:43 PM
Kim,
Thank you for sharing your insight as a visitor and keeping us in our daily fiber allotment so we do not experience withdrawl. I love to crochet and it is easier to find and fix errors. I just don't like the density of it vs knittng. Though I knit lace-I prefer to crochet it. Free form is also the best in crochet and to have the flexibility to do both is why they both have a place. Thanks again for sharing and I love the crochet magazines.
Kay
knittingbox wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 6:37 PM
If I'm interested in crochet I'll go to a crochet site, not a knitting site. And yes, I've known how to crochet for at least 30 years.
LisaB@2 wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 6:21 PM
Interesting post and comments. I don't understand all the ANGER... We were notified that there would be different editors [topics] each day.... so why react...

Anyway.... As to the question by Kim on needle/hook sizes.... I used to prefer very small.. I have crocheted with a size 13 and knitted with a size 00... I love the lacy look both produced.. I just don't like how my hand felt afterward.. so I now gravitate to bigger hooks and needles...

I did make a ring bearer pillow a few years ago that was knitted in fine thread on 0 and 1 needles and everyone who saw it thought it was crochet.... I loved telling them they were wrong ;')
on Nov 14, 2007 5:33 PM
Thanks Kim for spotlighting one of the greatest unsung secrets of all yarn craft center stage. I have been crocheting forever, and knitting for less than a year, and still I need to be hit upside the head with this periodically. I can't tell you how many times I've struggled with a yarn in either mode of needlework, finally tossing it into the black hole of yarn behind my living room chair where it languished until I think to try it with a much larger sized hook. Yes, it often means reworking patterns a bit, but the result is always worth it. Everything just clicks and you get that "oh this is perfect" moment when the right yarn meets the right implement.

(and BM, not only does Sandi crochet avidly in her non-Knitting Daily yarn life, she writes a regular column in Interweave Crochet too...as there's unfortunately no web based Crochet Daily, that's about as good as it gets.)
JoannH wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 5:11 PM
Welcome to the Knitters Opinion Page....yes, we would rather see knitting, however expanding the horizon is what this page is really about, and the melange sweater has accomplished that...not to mention crochet lace on knit socks, knit lace edging on a plain, quick to knit shawl, or other such combination possibilities....Quick purchase tip to pass along....today in walmart they are putting up holiday helper items, the one that caught my eye is a large, states it hold 24", wreath container....this one is like a large clamshell, and looks like a piece of tupperware...has attached handle and clear/frosted lid...my mind goes to large projects, portability and easy identification...and the price was just less than $7.00..so yes I have one....JH
ShirleeT wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 4:18 PM
well, I knit far more than I crochet, but I would become a full-time crochetter if I could look like Kim Werker. I won't even let my husband see the computer while I read todays "Knitting Daily". There is a big world of 'fiber manipulation' - something for everyone, and it doesn't hurt to see a little of everything.
FaithN wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 3:48 PM
I crocheted first and knitted second. I see advantages to both. I prefer the lacy drape of simple open crochet work over the jumping through hoops required to get ruffles or lace work in knitting. On the other hand, I really like having all my stitches accounted for on one needle or another in knitting. Keeping count is much easier and picking up dropped stitches just can't be done in crochet - at least to my knowledge and in my experience it can't.
Happygoo25 wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 3:45 PM
I want to know why crochet hooks are not as pretty and refined as they used to be? I have some from thirty years ago that are aluminun and very smooth. The ones manufactured these days do not feel good and the hook is not defined. I think that may be why ones wrist hurts after using them. It is like cutting vegetables with a cheap knife. There is an improper balance going on.
Kim Werker wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 3:39 PM
Hi there, dear commenters. Greetings from the Portland airport (I'm en route to that Burbank event Sandi mentioned at the end of my post), where I've finally managed to find my KD password so I can reply to your comments.

First, let's wish a collective Happy Vacation to Sandi, eh? I hope she's reveling in some relaxation as we print editors try to hold down the fort here in cyberspace.

The Melange Turtleneck, designed by Katie Himmelberg, will be in the Winter issue of Interweave Crochet, to hit stands and mailboxes in the next few weeks. Sorry for not having a more explicit caption on that photo!

Aine R -- Yes, Sandi is as friendly and fun in person as she is on KD. In fact, one of the reasons I love reading KD is because it's *so* Sandi. When I'm in Colorado in the fast-paced crunch of putting an issue of the magazine to bed, a lunch date with Sandi is always excellent therapy.

bethany h -- Spin-Off editor Amy Clarke Moore wrote her guest post on Monday.

So, okay. In addition to your steadfast opinions on stitchery and KD, what are your experiences with hook and needle size? If you're looking to skip the crochet chat, please do. But I'd love to learn more from you about your experiences with implement size -- even if it's just in regard to your knitting, not crochet.
Happygoo25 wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 3:39 PM
I don't crochet but I just love the Antoinette Cardigan. It is very wearable.
Happygoo25 wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 3:37 PM
People, crochet is used on knitting all the time! Sometimes for seaming a garment and sometimes to finish an edge. So what on earth is the big fuss?
JeanneC@2 wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 3:36 PM
Oh, la, la! I love the melange sweater. I'm of the camp who doesn't care whether it is knitting or crochet or macrame! If I like the way it looks, I'll do it!
ChrissieM wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 3:36 PM
That Melange Sweater is gorgeous....makes me want to learn more crochet (beyond the single crochet edge and the provisional cast on I know now). Thank you for an informative post!
on Nov 14, 2007 2:29 PM
I'm a beginner crocheter, but experienced knitter. I generally gravitate toward lace crochet (currently a bit beyond my skill level). :)

I think the main difference between the two is the number of live stitches. Far easier to have bad things happen in knitting than in crochet (do crocheters ever need a lifeline?), but I live dangerously.
;) (I knit far more than I crochet)

There are some very pretty garments made from the marriage of knit & crochet.

(seriously, 3 posts about crochet is already too many? Perspective?)
betsy@60 wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 2:26 PM
You know, I get annoyed that people think I don't know how to crochet because I choose to knit.
BethanyH wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 2:08 PM
It frustrates me so much to hear so much negativity towards crochet. You know most crocheters don't act that way towards knitters. And it really makes me not want to knit at all when I hear it.
Sad really. Because I love my needles as much as my hooks.

I love reading and learning about anything to so with yarn, fiber or anything in between. So when ca we expect a guest post from the editor of spin off? ;)
betsy@60 wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 2:07 PM
I know HOW to crochet. I CHOOSE NOT TO because it hurts my wrists. I taught myself how to knit because the crochet patterns were so ugly.

Hope you give Sandi equal time on the Crochet page.
Nancy@9 wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 1:38 PM
I have been crocheting for almost as long as I have been knitting, over 40 years. I like them both although I rarely crochet any more because it makes my hands hurt. I agree with Gretchen M. Enough with the crochet on Knitting Daily.
Mary JoB wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 1:38 PM
Another fan of the Melange sweater, looking for the pattern. This is one I would definitely make--in fact I would like to see more that incorporate both types of craft.
JulesG wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 1:31 PM
Hi Kim, I enjoyed your post, although I don't crochet. I learned it in school and was pretty bad at it, somehow working with just one needle/hook seems to be impossible for me.
Still I like looking at the patterns of IC and think about how I might be able to convert them into a knitting project.
AIRknitter wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 1:22 PM
Hi Kim,
So tell us, Is Sandi as nice in person as she is in 'ink'.
Will the pattern for "Melange" be in the current Interweave Crochet?
PaulineL wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 1:11 PM
The anti-crochet sentiment is sometimes shocking! Inexplicable, too.

Not here, I love crochet if for no more reason than I can see what I'm making which is nearly impossible to do when the fabric is all scrunched up on a knitting needle.
SherriC wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 1:02 PM
I don't crochet and have no interest in learning. If I wanted to read about crochet I'd subscribe to a crochet magazine.

What's the difference between knitting and crochet? While knitting patterns can run the gamut from beautiful to fugly, all crochet patterns are fugly.
Rebecca S wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 1:00 PM
Kim, I picked up a copy of the Fall issue of Interweave Crochet just this past Saturday at City News right behind the Interweave office (trying to avoid the Rudy Guiliani crowd at my local favorite coffee shop that morning) I have to say that I was more than pleased with it! I used to be, until Saturday anyway, one of those knitters who didn't like to talk about crochet and became annoyed with any mention of it. After all, all it was good for were doilies and potholders, right? WRONG! I was pleasantly surprised at the wonderful projects in this magazine! I have 3 projects picked out to make right away. My favorites are the Sera Lace Top and Trellis pullover. WOW! Keep up the great work and bring on more beautiful designs to revive this craft!
ReneeS wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 12:54 PM
Where does the Melange sweater come from? It's gorgeous. Is it from the Crochet Me book, or Interweave Crochet magazine? I want to make it!
JodeeR wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 12:41 PM
Where can we get the pattern for the 'melange' sweater. That is a beautiful sweater; very interesting!
JenniferR wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 12:25 PM
I would also have to agree with some of the other comments on why there is a sort of "rivalry" between crochet and knit? I gravitate toward knitting, and have a hard time finding crochet patterns that inspire me as much as knitting patterns, but I do know how to crochet, so I like occasional info on all fiber related subjects! Keep up the good work!!
JenniferR wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 12:22 PM
I LOVE the Melange sweater at the beginning of the post. Definitely something that I would consider making. I have not ever made a crochet garment, for most of the reasons Kim gave, but love the feminine touch the crochet gives this sweater. Where do we find the pattern??? Is it in this IW Crochet issue? Thanks!! This post has given me some inspiration to look more into crochet!
JanisP wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 12:19 PM
You are right on, Kim. After 30 years of crocheting bullet-proof vest-style jackets and really disliking the look, I finally converted to knitting. NOW you tell me (she said with fake chagrin)--finer yarn & larger hooks!
Go, Kim, and change the world of crocheted garments :-)
Janis
PatriciaA wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 12:16 PM
Where, oh where can we find the pattern for that beautiful Melange vest in the photo??? I've often wondered why more patterns aren't written/designed to incorporate BOTH knitting and crocheting...and here you have introduced one, but neglected to give us a link! Whetted the appetite, eh?

I have been knitting for 45 years, crocheting for only 5...but I enjoy them both, appreciate the qualities of each, and always have (several) projects of each to work on. Some days I want to work on a sweater or socks (knit), some days I want to work on a baby blanket (crochet). And some days I realize that my knitted garment calls out for a crocheted edging in order to be called "finished."

Until now, I hadn't understood how to make crocheted garments less "bulky," but thanks to this article I feel enlightened! BTW, I ordered the magazine to see if I liked it...and I do! Thanks for opening my eyes.
AndiS wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 12:09 PM
Isn't it all fiber manipulation when we come right down to it? Knit, crochet, felt - it's all playing with yarn. I mean, really, aren't we just kittens with opposable thumbs?
Elizabeth wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 12:02 PM
I LOVE some crocheted sweaters and I am learning to crochet. It fits in well with knitting and is fun as well. Thank you for the useful information you have given us. I am mystified at the hostility some knitters have about crochet. I am glad KD includes it.
M.M wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 11:56 AM
ps I'm still trying to figure out why some knitters get SOOOOO bent out of shape if the word crochet is mentioned. I really don't do much felting and I don't blow a gasket if the topic of the day (or week) is about felting or some other area in which I don't have much interest! Lighten up, people!
M.M wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 11:54 AM
Kim,
You are preaching to the choir! I am a knitter who recently picked up crochet and, I am HOOKED! I especially love projects where I can do both.

thanks for your informative post--I think IC mag is just as great as IK mag.
GretchenM@2 wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 11:46 AM

CarrieP wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 11:41 AM
I loved this. I crochet more than knit - partially because I don't have the patience for knitting. But the knitters I know, still don't get the crochet thing. Oh well. I am looking forward to the next edition of IW Crochet!!!
KathyF@2 wrote
on Nov 14, 2007 11:34 AM
I both crochet and knit and find your advice most helpful!!! a little bit of crochet edging goes on a lot of my knitting.
thanks for the great article, why not do it again sometime?
kathy