The Central Park Hoodie--PLUS!

Dec 10, 2007

Heather Lodinsky's original CPH

When Lisa Shroyer told me that she was knitting a Big Girl version of the Central Park Hoodie, I couldn't wait to see her Finished Object (known in blogdom as a "FO"). When I found out she was actually adding three new sizes to the original CPH pattern and she was willing to come chat about the process with us on Knitting Daily, I was truly delighted.

Since the original pattern is out-of-print, I'm happy to announce that you can purchase the expanded, revised version of the Central Park Hoodie pattern in our brand-new Knitting Daily Pattern Store! (More about The Store below.)

Now, without further ado (I've always wanted to say that!), I'd like to present to you this week's guest poster, Lisa Shroyer, with her Big Girl enhancements to the Central Park Hoodie.

More of a Great Thing: The CPH+

The Central Park Hoodie (fondly referred to as the CPH) by Heather Lodinsky first appeared in the Fall 2006 issue of Knitscene. A bit of rustic-comfort-sporty-timeless knitwear that simultaneously says knitterly and ready to wear, this project has been hugely popular among our readers. As the Fall 2006 back issue has sold out from Interweave, and interest in the CPH is still strong, we decided it was time (only a year later!) to resurrect the CPH for a fresh audience.

And, in true Knitting Daily style, (there's no better way to talk about a project), I decided to knit a CPH up for myself and walk everyone through the process. Only one problem: the original pattern offered five sizes: 32 (36, 40, 44, 48)" bust. I need a 50" sweater, and for a loose cardigan that I can wear over a layer or two, 52" is really ideal. So, I sat down with the pattern and my calculator, and reworked the directions for a size 52", and while I was doing the math, I added two more plus sizes, a 56" and a 60". So now we have a pattern that ranges from a 32" bust on up to a 60", in 4-inch increments. And hopefully that means that you can find a size that works for you!

Lisa's CPH being blocked

So what is it about the CPH that makes it so appealing? Carrie Coker of Athens, Georgia made the CPH as a gift for her sister and she says, "The pattern is fun to knit because it’s so simple and straightforward, and the result is an absolutely classic sweater." Heather Lodinsky, designer of the beloved hoodie, came up with the idea for the project when Knitscene approached her and asked her to design an easy cabled project to accompany an article on cables. She says, "I thought of a design featuring both right-twist and left-twist rope cables that would be great for a new cable knitter, but interesting enough for someone who has also done cables before. I only had about a week to design and make it, but found it very fun and fast!". You may know Heather from past issues of Interweave Knits, her work with Tahki/Stacy Charles and Lion Brand (for whom she designed the knitted version of the "Coming Home" Martha Stewart poncho).

I admit that when I started knitting this project, I wasn't looking forward to the knitting (mostly stockinette with the occasional cable cross), but I knew I would wear the FO a lot. But the knitting was a wonderful distraction from some more complex projects I had going on, and working with Tahki Donegal Tweed was very very nice.

For pics of knitters around the country who have made the CPH, check out the Winter 2007/Spring 2008 issue of Knitscene, on stands starting December 25. And for more pics of my CPH and more talk about the knitting of said hoodie, check in next time on Knitting Daily.

Lisa Shroyer is editor of Knitscene magazine, and senior editor of Interweave Knits.

Special Invitation To Knitting Daily Readers!

You're the first ones to know: Our brand-new online pattern store is now open! You can buy patterns (including the revised, enhanced version of the Central Park Hoodie) from many of our sold-out magazines, and we'll be loading up new patterns as fast as we can in the days ahead. As with any newly-opened shop, the paint might be a bit wet still, but we just couldn't wait to open our doors and let you have a peek around. Enjoy!

Sandi Wiseheart is the editor of Knitting Daily.

What's on Sandi's needles? Eight inches of the Gathered Pullover; a pair of socks on two circulars with partial heel flaps, and seven inches of the hood of my husband's cabled hoodie.

Comments

on Dec 31, 2009 7:48 PM

I WOULD LIKE TO GET THE PATTERN FOR THE CENTRAL PARK HOODIEPLUS

LET ME KNOW OR SENT ME YOUR TELPLONE NUMBER AND I WILL CALL YOU

I LOVE THE PATTERN,BUT DON'T KNOW HOW TO GET THE PATTERN.

THANK YOU HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU. OR CAN YOU MAIL ME ONE AND I WILL SENT YOU A CHECK,TANK AGAIN

FROM EVELYN SPEDDING

576 WORC.ST. A3

SOUTHBRIDGE MASS. 01550  TEL 508-764-4924

CatsRCats1 wrote
on Sep 17, 2009 6:32 PM

It's great that designers are recognizing the plus size women when the publish their patterns.  I wish more would do it.  I have seen some wonderful patterns that I would like sized to a 3x but most only go to 1x-2x.  Hey designers! We need clothes that look nice too.

uhura55 wrote
on Sep 5, 2009 8:07 AM

I tried to access the the on line pattern store but I got a server error 403 forbidden access denied. Is this part of the wet paint problem or am I doing something wrong??? Debbie D

EllenM wrote
on Feb 26, 2009 9:37 AM
I didn't read all the comments, but in the ones I did read, I didn't see any mention of being able to get the Plus size directions if we already have the pattern in the magazine. I agree that $5.50 is expensive, but I would pay it if I really wanted something, but since I already paid for the magazine, by what means can I get the Plus sizes/ Thanks for all you do,Sandi. Ellen in NJ
Gbensing wrote
on Jun 4, 2008 4:19 PM

I just bought the pattern and am sooo anxious to begin knitting it.  Can anyone tell me what yarn they have used to make theirs?

HeatherG wrote
on Jan 4, 2008 8:55 AM
Another request for the store: Norah Gaughan's Tweedy Aran Cardigan from (I think) IK Winter 01-02.
Cece wrote
on Jan 3, 2008 7:35 PM
I see the info in the comment above - sorry I didn't read all pervious comments before posting my question! Off to order the yarn! Hurrah!
Cece wrote
on Dec 31, 2007 2:56 PM
Hi - I bought the pattern and can't wait to knit it in the 52" size. But I think the yarn requirements are wrong? It says 10 balls for the 48" size, and then jumps to 16 for the 52"? That can't be right?
BarbaraG@6 wrote
on Dec 22, 2007 12:01 PM
Thank you for adding the larger sizing, but the best feature of knitting daily is the pictures of ladies of all sizes wearing the sample sweaters. This really helps me alot in deciding what size depending on the ease. And it's amazing how great the sweaters look on all the women. Keep up the great work!
Barb G
MaryO@3 wrote
on Dec 15, 2007 1:45 AM
So glad to see that we larger size women are not forgotten! These beautiful ladies that modeled the"Central Park Hoodie" are wonderful. I want one too! GREAT JOB!!! Mary, gardeniadaize@yahoo.com
CatB@2 wrote
on Dec 14, 2007 8:15 PM
Wow! The hoodie looks fabulous - actually most stunning on the heaviest models. They are gorgeous . . . an inspiration truly, not just for me as a knitter, but as a woman who is growing more cushy and curvaceous year by year. Thank you so much, all you model-goddesses, for sharing your beauty with all of us.
BonnieR@2 wrote
on Dec 12, 2007 12:34 PM
Hi, I am excited to see your new pattern store and already have my eye on several of the patterns. It would be VERY helpful if you could offer yarn suggestions for some of the older patterns where the yarn you used no longer seems to be available (I have searched for the yarn used in the Aran Duffle Coat and cannot find it anywhere on-line).
Thank you!!!
on Dec 12, 2007 9:10 AM
Sandi and all, thank you so much for Knitting Daily. It's the one e-newsletter that I'm glad I signed up for! The KD site is quickly becoming one of my favourite resources, and I return to it frequently for information and inspiration. I was thrilled to hear last month that the CPH pattern was coming. With that KnitScene issue sold out, I'm only too happy to pay $5.50 for this lovely pattern. I've made several items from the pattern library and am happy to choose from a combination of fairly-priced patterns and your generous freebies.
DeborahT@2 wrote
on Dec 11, 2007 9:50 PM
Regarding the post send about the Style magazines. You and every other knitting magazine need to address Christmas in October to spur us on, or even sooner, in the summer. It annoys me that, as long as knitted projects take, no one addresses Christmas in summer and summer fashions in winter! That's just crazy!
AnnaM wrote
on Dec 11, 2007 7:41 PM
I'm sorry, but I have to go back to the issue of "finished bust size" from last Friday: The finished bust size measurement is clearly explained in Sandi's post, but I am still unclear about how it relates to the schematic numbers. I know I am not seeing something obvious, but it sounds like some others are confused a bit, also. Thanks, Anna
M.M wrote
on Dec 11, 2007 7:29 PM
This website just keeps getting better--thanks for the option to buy designer patterns. Love it!
Megalion wrote
on Dec 11, 2007 6:45 PM
TO THOSE WHO THINK THAT 5.50 is too HIGH IF IT'S NOT GOING STRAIGHT TO THE DESIGNER.

If you read back to Sandi's comment above, part of that 5.50 IS going back to the designer.

The designers were paid a sum for their pattern to be published in the magazine. Usually there is no more opportunity for future profits if the pattern is very successful (sells well). But in this case, since KD is reproducing the pattern and making it available for sale again, they're also including a "residual" to the designer for every pattern sold. For example, they're going to charge $5.50 for each copy of the pattern sold. They negotiate with the designer and reach an agreement that the designer will get $2.00 for each pattern sold. That leaves $3.50 for KnittingDaily who has a lot of operating costs in running this website (servers and bandwidth does add up). In the end, they may only be profiting $2 a pattern sold as well. (Numbers are made up just for this example)

So don't get upset about paying $5.50 when "you'd only pay that to the designer" directly" and "you'd pay $3.. maybe $4 to KD for the same pattern". The designer sold their right to "resell" the pattern a long time ago. If anything this is a win-win situation because by buying these patterns, you ARE supporting the designers as well as encouraging Knitting Daily to keep bringing back these patterns that are otherwise inaccessible unless you manage to find a copy of the magazine for sale.

Sorry if this is long winded but it was frustrating to me to see people upset about having to pay so much to Knitting Daily and completely missing what was already said that part of the money DOES GO TO THE DESIGNER!
LeslieB@2 wrote
on Dec 11, 2007 6:18 PM
As soon as the CPH was posted for sale, I bought it. No, I don't think $5.50 is too much to pay for someone's craft in creating a design we all want. Heck, I spend most of that for coffee that's gone in half an hour. At the end of the day, with the CPH I've got an heirloom item to keep, wear always, or give. For those that still are having issues with five and a half bucks, let's balance the cost out with all the beautiful free patterns oin Knitting Daily we've enjoyed the benefit of.

Anyway, that said, I too am perplexed about the math on the armhole decreases. I've read my size over and over (40) and can't figure out how two stitches disappear when the pattern repeat is zero. Perhaps some errata is in order.

I did my guage swatch this morning and am casting on tonight!!

Thanks so much!
HeidiW@2 wrote
on Dec 11, 2007 6:13 PM
I LOVE this pattern, and have already bought the download from the new store. I'm a newer knitter, and I have one question though ... the pattern calls for only one size 6 32-40" circular needle, but wouldn't you in fact need two? Its for the edging. Or is there a trick with circular needles for such jobs that I don't know about? I've seen this on other patterns as well, thinking it SHOULD call for 2, as though they were extra-long straight needles, but it lists only one. Thanks!
Lynn G. wrote
on Dec 11, 2007 5:00 PM
Just want to add to my original comment, which was mostly about whether there were buttons and front closure on the sweater (thanks so much for the quick reply, Sandi!) and secondarily was to agree with the first person who reacted to the downloadable pattern price. I agree strongly with Sandi that the pattern designers should ALWAYS get royalties when their patterns are further distributed. I think what people are reacting to is that it seems that Interweave is passing on the entire cost of setting up this whole "electronic pattern shop" to the consumer right up-front, when normally there would be a loss up front and then profits would steadily increase as the same business model was used to post more patterns (it should cost Interweave a bit less in labor each time a new pattern is produced because the "know how" and "process" will become more and more efficient over time). So, perhaps later it will be possible to lower the pattern price, or to offer a lower price per pattern if people purchase more than one pattern at a time. It's too bad that it's impossible to accurately identify which consumers have already purchased the original pattern in the printed magazine because if there were some reliable way to do that, then you could reasonably offer a lower-priced "pattern upgrade" to previous purchasers and a full-price complete pattern to people who are buying it for the first time. So, I just wanted to make sure that my original comment didn't make me sound like a person who doesn't appreciate the amount of work that you're all doing: I AGREE with ensuring that everyone working on this project, and the designers more than anyone else, get paid well. Artists are never paid enough for the tremendous amount of work that goes into their creations. I hope that the ever-increasing volume of business and the efficiency of your business process will ultimately enable you to make the patterns more affordable to the average buyer.
Kelle wrote
on Dec 11, 2007 4:21 PM
I agree that the price seems quite high for a pattern, when the price of the magazine is only about 50 cents more (if you get the subscription). There are usually a number of other patterns in one magazine, making each pattern actually cost much, much less. I'm just wondering how much work is it really to put it in a downloadable format? Surely you already had it in electronic format when you published the magazine... re-laying it out and cut and paste shouldn't take too long (one would think). I'm just bummed really... I fell in love with the CPH pattern but probably will never purchase it at $5.50.
Thanks though, for your lovely daily knitting emails... I do enjoy them!
Eliza wrote
on Dec 11, 2007 4:19 PM
Great job! I'm so glad the pattern shop is open, but does this mean that we won't get any more free patterns? (We were getting one a week but now they seem to be one a month.) Can you explain the logic?
MeriT wrote
on Dec 11, 2007 3:53 PM
Hi Sandi, thanks for all the good work you do. This is the most interesting and informative newsletter I've found! I agree with the others , tho, that the price of the patterns is too high. I also need the 52" sweater and have the magazine at home but couldn't make the hoodie cuz of the size limitations. I'm not about to pay another 5.50 for the pattern I already own. How about just posting the size changes instead of the whole pattern for us larger gals? What I really want to learn is how to calculate the changes myself so I can change any pattern.
on Dec 11, 2007 1:45 PM
Hi - thanks for releasing the pattern. I think it will be my first cable project and my firs big garment. I have a question about the pattern. I don't understand the armhole decreases for the back.I get it upto the first decrease. For my size 72 stitches drop to 70 with the decrease row...i get that bit. work 1 WS row...get that bit. Work last two rows 0 times, followed by decrease every other row 0 times 68sts remain??????? I only worked one decrease row so where did the other four stitches go? I'm a bit fresh to this knitting business so hope i haven't fallen into an elephant trap....please can you explain this for me. Thanks so much. Jess
KellyB@2 wrote
on Dec 11, 2007 1:25 PM
I am really interested in learning how to do cables, but I'm scared! I've made a hoodie and plenty of baby cardigans, but all in simple stockinette stitch. Is this CPH a good project to learn cables on????
TerryW wrote
on Dec 11, 2007 11:35 AM
I have 2 addictions when it comes to knitting. 1-Buying &/or subscribing to every knitting magazine out there (and keeping them).2- beautiful knitting needles, Lantern moon, Glass Paradise (blown Glass),Knit Picks colorful birch. I love the way look and feel when you knit with them. Now I have a new addicting, going online to "Knitting Daily". I live and teach knitting on a small island (Fire Island New York). I am always having to make the patterns bigger for my students and my sister-in-law. I think this is fabulous. I also belong to Rowan International. Not to bad mouth them. But I found there chat room hard to get into & use . Also not interesting, maybe it's the overseas thing. I can't wait to get up every morning and read what is going on. Interesting topics and interesting people!:) Great magazine. Great inspiration since I do a lot of my own designing. I am in a wheelchair so knitting has become my savior. I don't go online much because I would rather be knitting, except for Knitting Daily. Thanks again for a great website.
DarylS wrote
on Dec 11, 2007 11:17 AM
What a fabulous idea to make avaialable those classic patterns which one may have missed and now regret. How many times have I thought, oh, I would never make that, then seen it by someone else only to face the scavenger hunt of trying to find back issues. Thanks, Daryl
GJabouri wrote
on Dec 11, 2007 10:55 AM
Hi all - I have to agree that $5.50 for one pattern is rather steep. I've paid that much for a pattern from the designer directly, but not to a company.

Btw, VogueKnitting.com is having a 50% sale on their books right now ... so if you don't have the Stitchionaries yet ... (I paid full price for them not too long ago, sob!)

I do love seeing the garments on different models, and hope and wish that these kinds of galleries and model measurements will find their way into knitting/crocheting magazines and books. I've learned so much from them. When I first saw the Colette Pullover, for example, I dismissed it as looking too boring, but when I saw in the galleries how it flattered almost everyone wearing it, I am now considering adding it to my to-be-knit-in-the-not-too-distant-future list. Thanks Sandi, and to all volunteer models!!
NicoleD wrote
on Dec 11, 2007 10:11 AM
I really like Knitting daily, and having a store to sell popular patterns from out of print issues is awesome, but 5.50? I'll pay 5 dollars for a pattern for a freelance designer, but with you guys, you're just putting up and maintaining patterns you've already got, and with the case of the CPH, patterns I've already bought and paid for. I mean, you must have 15 patterns in one issue, to value that one at 5.50 is a rip off and it bugs me that people at interweave have been hyping the availability of the plus sized CPH on Ravelry when it was actually going to be for sale for such an exorbitant amount. I could see paying 2 dollars for the pattern, despite the fact that Knitting Daily and its free patterns only add to Interweave's business. Somebody had to sit down and do those size changes, and that's valuable. Maybe for someone who hasn't bought the magazine 5.50 isn't an outrageous sum for a popular item, but for people who have been buying your magazines for years it's unfair.
AnneB wrote
on Dec 11, 2007 10:03 AM
I was not going to knit the hoodie. But now that there are larger sized, I must knit one for my 21 year old son who is addicted to hoodies. Don't know if I should say "thanks" or not. It will just get added to the list..... ;)
MarleneW wrote
on Dec 11, 2007 9:48 AM
Thank you so much for the online store! For those not living in the US it is great thing. Particulary since the the magazines are so expensive abroad. And by the way: I just love the sweater galleries!
Cfbandit wrote
on Dec 11, 2007 8:39 AM
Hi Sandi!

I love the idea of the store, its just $5.50 a pattern is quite a bit out of reach for me. I have a lot of trouble even in justifying the $6.99 cost of IK to my husband. Any chance of a sale anytime soon to knock it down to $3-4?
JaimeG wrote
on Dec 11, 2007 8:09 AM
Hey everyone - If there's an out of print back issue Interweave Knits pattern on your wish list, don't forget to nominate it for The Best of Knits Readers' Choice Awards. It could be one of the top 5 to get published in a free eBook early next year.
EvaF wrote
on Dec 11, 2007 8:08 AM
I really like the Knitting Daily Shop and would suggest the Juliet Pullover and Madlis shawl from the summer 2004 issue as it is sold out and I want to make them both...
JoyH wrote
on Dec 11, 2007 6:47 AM
Sandi-- I so enjoy the posts and your personality behind them. They truly do seem as if we're together around the same table, knitting and chatting. So now I have a question for the folks at the "office" side of the table: What do you all do to use up your stash? What I'm looking for is a wearable garment for an active, "older". reubenesque woman. I my be a grandmother but I don't want to look like a frumpy one. Joy Heiens
JoyH wrote
on Dec 11, 2007 6:47 AM
Carol J wrote
on Dec 11, 2007 1:36 AM
thanks to Lisa and Sandi for all the work on the CPH--can't wait to put it in the planning rotation for after Christmas. I have a dark green tweed waiting tobe that sweater. also Lisa--I live in south jersey and would love to know your fav LYS's in the Phila area. thanks
CricketH wrote
on Dec 11, 2007 1:16 AM
If ever Lisa wants to do a bit more work and see her design on an even larger segment of the population, what I'd really, really like is a child's version of this sweater. Fits my attention span and my child! (And, sadly, hoodies look better on her than on me.)
LisaS@6 wrote
on Dec 10, 2007 11:02 PM
<<<<<>>>>>

Lisa again!
I don't know if that comment about tech editing the knitted sample made sense in hindsight--we base all calculations and instructions on the knitted sample, so that what you see as the reader is what you get when you knit a project. If we were simply adding more sizes to the "formula" of Heather Lodinsky's original pattern, I would have kept the same gauge, but we first approached this revamped sizing as a new and separate entity from the original, hence I felt okay with having slightly different gauge when I reworked everything. This is all laid out in the pattern, don't worry. Thanks for listening :)
LisaS@6 wrote
on Dec 10, 2007 10:55 PM
<<<>>>>>

Hi guys,

the yarn requirement for the three largest sizes is NOT a typo. The reason for the jump in yardage is threefold:
1) the plus sizes are quite a bit longer than those in the original pattern
2) the band on the three largest sizes is quite a bit wider, and over 350+ stitches that uses quite a bit of yarn, and
3) I based the sizing and instructions for the three largest sizes on my gauge of 18 sts/4". I often have trouble getting gauge because I'm a loose knitter, and the closest I could get to the original pattern's 17 sts/4" was 18 sts. So, the three largest sizes are worked at a slightly finer gauge than the original, affecting the yardage requirement. Our policy is to tech edit a pattern based on the knitted sample, hence we maintained the different gauges (between Heather Lodinsky's original green hoodie (and therefore the 5 smallest sizes) and my brown hoodie (and the 3 largest sizes). Hope that helps!
BernieB wrote
on Dec 10, 2007 10:33 PM
I think the KD store is a great idea. Wish list here I come. PDF patterns are fine by me!

I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of the CPH in larger sizes. Just waiting to see the photos of the big girl version first.

I do hope you consider using PAYPAL as a payment option in the future.

Thanks for this & keep up the great work!! Bernie, IOM
knitter@74 wrote
on Dec 10, 2007 10:10 PM
I, too, would like a clarification on the yarn requirements for larger sizes before purchasing the pattern. The jump in the number of skeins is a typo, right?
GwenB wrote
on Dec 10, 2007 9:57 PM
I think the new Knitting Daily Pattern Store is great! I would much rather a pdf than the pattern on paper. I would like to request though that you add more pictures of the sweaters to the shopping page. Pictures of the product from a couple different angles, and maybe a close up of the pattern would really help me decide on what I want. Thanks!
KD Sandi wrote
on Dec 10, 2007 9:40 PM
****Sandi here: Hi Lynn! Lisa's additional instructions include button loops, so yup...closure :)

As for the pricing...keep in mind that our designers are now getting a cut of the online sales. Not to mention that it is a ton of work to get the patterns out of the old magazine archives and into that shiny new online database. But mostly: we're so pleased to be able to support our great designers--if we continue to publish the pattern online, they deserve to continue to share the wealth. We think that's only fair. :)
Lynn G. wrote
on Dec 10, 2007 8:44 PM
Very nice pattern...very nice to be able to download it, though I agree that a price of $3-$4 would seem more fair considering that the original magazine must have had many other patterns and articles and, in this case, the printing costs are entirely the responsibility of the person who downloads the pattern. My main reason for posting today, though, is to ask whether this pattern has buttons or snaps or any way to close the two sides of the cardigan front, or is it meant to be worn open and "swingy?" I'm on the tiny end of the spectrum with an actual bust measurement of about 31 inches and an actual hip measurement of about 34 inches, so I'm wondering if the smallest size would still be too large for me. I know, I know, I'm in the minority and hope it doesn't bother other readers that I'm asking. It's just as hard for me to find patterns that I could wear as it is for those on the other end of the spectrum. Things tend to look best on tiny women when they are form-fitting (I'm guessing that means negative ease is called for), and usually I have to close my cardigans about 3/4 of the way up in order to give my chest any shape at all. I can't tell from the photos whether the sides come all the way to the center of the chest or if they are narrower than that and intended to be worn open. Thanks for shedding light on this question. It's a really appealing pattern, and I can't believe the designer made it in such a short period of time!
KathyV@2 wrote
on Dec 10, 2007 7:19 PM
Thank you very much. Many of my friends wear these sizes, and I am awful at math to enlarge patterns they love. You are truly a jewel, Sandi.
MomB wrote
on Dec 10, 2007 6:50 PM
GOD BLESS YOU!!!! Those of us who are larger than life and have problems finding patterns in larger sizes salute you! LOL
KayH@2 wrote
on Dec 10, 2007 6:50 PM
I just looked at the yarn requirements and the jump from (48")10 skeins to (52")16 skeins seems like a lot - are the larger sizes a lot longer? I don't see a dimension for length.
Kathi wrote
on Dec 10, 2007 6:48 PM
I was so excited about the option of purchasing separate patterns through interweave. I got all the way to the checkout and was dismayed to find out that PayPal is not an option. Almost all pattern sites are now accepting PayPal and I hope that Interweave will develop that option. Many sites lose my business due to this lack of payment option.
Tephra wrote
on Dec 10, 2007 6:41 PM
My goodness, the revised version actually extends up to my size! I hope this will be a trend with future patterns as well because I am truly sick of doing all the math to enlarge patterns myself. :D
on Dec 10, 2007 6:30 PM
Love the new store! I've been looking for a shawl to make for my niece for her wedding and I found the Fairy Tale Scarf that I think will be perfect. It was so easy to purchase and download.

Also, thank you for a plus size sweater that I can make and wear. There just aren't enough of those larger plus size patterns out there so I really appreciate it when I find them.

I love Knitting Daily and Interweave...you've made me a loyal fan life!
DorothyA wrote
on Dec 10, 2007 6:27 PM
I have to admit that I was a bit disappointed when it became clear that the CPH was going to be a downloadable, pay for pattern. Especially when the cost for the one pattern is as much as the original magazine. I notice that Takhicharlesstacy has downloadable patterns, brand new ones even, that are only $1.50 each. I am delighted that the CPH is available with increased size range, however. I am still hoping that Knitting Daily will offer great patterns at no cost, and not go completely into a "pay for" model or just an advertising gimmick for Interweave Magazine and various books. I am not complaining about the quality of these publications at all, but I do appreciate a site where you can get some really current patterns for free. Thanks for listening. Dorothy in Salem, OR
Isabelle wrote
on Dec 10, 2007 6:26 PM
Thank you so much for the online patterns store. I've been waiting for it as some older issues of IK were out of print and their patterns seemed lost ... Since we can, I wish real strong for Veronik Avery's patterns, since I love how she combines comfort and style for beautiful knits. Thanks Sandi for the TLC you give and all the great infos you share in KD; I wish you and everbody around you a happy holiday season!
MartyM wrote
on Dec 10, 2007 6:22 PM
I love the store idea, and I hope you'll offer crochet patterns from Interweave Crochet!
KD Sandi wrote
on Dec 10, 2007 5:35 PM
*****Sandi here: No worries! The free patterns will continue! I've got a couple ready for January that I think everyone will love...

And thanks to everyone for the specific requests for the store! I'm starting a KD Store "wish list". :) We'll try to include whatever we can. And just so you know, we are contracting for the store patterns with each of the designers involved, so be assured that we are taking good care of our beloved designer folk.

THANK YOU for all the wonderful responses to the store! I guess I'd better go work on the next batch of patterns to be loaded up into Le Shoppe KD...
AIRknitter wrote
on Dec 10, 2007 5:23 PM
Lisa, I love the button loops. Great design!!! Now my fingers are itchin' for some Donegal tweed.
I am absolutely WILD about Knitting Daily.
SafiyahR wrote
on Dec 10, 2007 5:19 PM
Love the posts and all the great info, Sandi!
I have a question, though: Since there is now a Knitting Pattern store, does this mean the end of the free pattern PDFs you sometimes include in your post?
Also, could you please please please put up for sale the ADORABLE Estonian Hand Puppets by Anu Kotli and Carol H. Rhoades from the Summer '06 issue of Spin Off?
Thanks so much for all you do for us!
Elizabeth wrote
on Dec 10, 2007 5:05 PM
Your online store is GREAT!
JanMoreno wrote
on Dec 10, 2007 4:57 PM
Sandi, I know of one knitter on Ravelry who would love to be able to get her hands on the Traveling Rib Pullover by Melissa Leapman because it has a pretty good size range. Please offer this pattern for sale too. Thanks!
KD Sandi wrote
on Dec 10, 2007 4:33 PM
****Sandi here: The GREEN hoodie is the photo of the original (smaller) version--actually it is the original photo from Knitscene. The PDF has photos of Lisa's big girl version--ON LISA herself :) Lisa wanted to wait until Friday's post to put the finished photos of her big girl version on KD (and yes, Lisa is modelling her hoodie herself!). Thanks, Pam, for letting me clarify that! (Would I do that to you, show a plus-size pattern on a petite gal? Never.)
Grafikat wrote
on Dec 10, 2007 4:31 PM
I can't wait until Wednesday when Lisa shows off the larger size! Yah!
PamK wrote
on Dec 10, 2007 4:28 PM
A plus size pattern, and still you show it on a tiny model? Great selling.