First A Surprise, Then The Finished Plus Size Central Park Hoodie

Dec 14, 2007

Goddess Amy in the CPH+!

People have been wondering what Lisa and I had come up with as far as the promised CPH surprise, so here we go...

A Gallery of the Central Park Goddesses!

Yes, folks, that's right: Lisa sent me her Big Girl CPH, and I found seven dangerously curved Interweave gals to model it for you:

The Central Park Hoodie Plus Size Gallery

There is a wide range of "fits" in this particular gallery. Note that the length of the sweater depends not just on torso length, but "torso landscape"! If you are large busted, the fabric has more ground to cover to drape over The Ladies, you see, and thus, the sweater might look shorter on you no matter what your height or torso length is. A woman with more subtle charms up front will have less landscape to cover, and so the sweater will hang lower on her. The same is true for your belly and hip curves: The more generous your landscape, the more fabric is required to drape vertically, and the shorter the sweater will appear on you.

The Finale: A Finished Plus Size CPH

by Lisa Shroyer

Lisa's finished "CPH Plus"!

So here is my finished Central Park Hoodie! I am very happy with it.

Finished Size: 52" bust, buttoned
Yarn: 16 skeins of Tahki Donegal Tweed in #869 dark taupe
Needles: Sizes 5 and 7. I am a loose knitter and always have to go down in needle size to get gauge—you may need the sizes 6 and 8 the original pattern called for.

As I was working on this project, I referred back to a couple sources for help: Pam Allen's sleeve cap article in the Winter 2007 issue of Interweave Knits, and Kathy Veeza's article on mattress stitch seaming in the Winter 2007/Spring 2008 issue of Knitscene. These articles both had some interesting tips that I hadn’t come across before that helped me in the finishing of my CPH. If you have trouble getting a perfect-fitting sleeve cap, or smooth seams, I recommend both articles for sure.

Back view

You'll notice my buttonband is asymmetrical—or rather, my buttons are not centered. I like the look of offset buttons, so I worked my buttonband without buttonholes, then crocheted buttonloops along the edge of the right front, and sewed the buttons off-center on the left-front band.

In the end, I understand why so many people have made the CPH. It's a fairly easy and quick knit, and it has such timeless appeal. I will wear this FO a lot! Which I can't always say about my Fair Isles or other complex knits.

Side view

But in hindsight, I would do things differently, were I to knit this project again. What would I do differently? I would space the cables on the fronts closer together—the original, smaller CPH shows those two cables on the front fairly close together, but as the sizes get larger, space is added in width to the stockinette panel between cables. The cables create more of a focal point the closer they are to each other, so I would have kept my cables close together and added more stockinette at the outer sides. This may be more slimming as well, creating a strong central vertical element. I think I would also have made the body of my hoodie a little longer, another 1.5" perhaps. When I look at the hoodie from the front, I feel like it's still a little skimpy in length there, even though it's a good 2 inches longer than the next size down in the pattern. But other than these issues, I am very happy with the FO and have already worn it quite a bit.

Lisa Shroyer is editor of Knitscene magazine, and senior editor of Interweave Knits.

Questions and Answers

Any chance we could have larger views in the KD Pattern Store of each project? I'd really like to see a bigger photo before I buy. (Anonymous Knitter)

Sandi says: Funny you should ask! Our tech wizards got this working for you just this morning! Now, under the photo on each pattern page, you will see a View Larger Image button. Hope this helps!

I would like a clarification of the CPH yarn requirements for larger sizes before purchasing the pattern. The jump in the number of skeins is a typo, right? (J. J.)

Lisa replies: The yarn amounts for the three largest sizes are NOT a typo. The reasons for the jump in yardage: 1) The plus sizes are quite a bit longer than the original pattern; 2) The band on the larger sizes is quite a bit wider, and over 350+ stitches that uses quite a bit of yarn; and 3) I based the instructions for the larger sizes on my gauge of 18 sts/4", which is a different gauge than the original. We first approached this revamped sizing as a new and separate entity from the original, hence I felt okay with having a slightly different gauge when I reworked everything. All of this is spelled out in the pattern, don't worry!

And yes, we will continue to give some great patterns away for free! For example...next week! Check back and let's talk about everyone's last-minute holiday knitting. (I don't know about you, but I am going to need all the help I can get to finish Nicholas's hoodie on time!)

Sandi Wiseheart is the editor of Knitting Daily.

What's on Sandi's needles? Seven inches of the Gathered Pullover; a pair of socks on two circulars with partial heel flaps, and eight inches of the hood of my husband's cabled hoodie.

Comments

PamelaM wrote
on Mar 21, 2008 9:03 AM
I finished my CPH in the blue Donnegal Tweed a couple of weeks ago. Although I loved the result, I was skeptical as to how much I would wear the WOOL(!) here in central Texas, but it has become my go-to morning sweater, and I love it!
TonyaW wrote
on Jan 22, 2008 11:11 PM
I enjoyed the article and will plan to make my daughter a Plus Size CPH, but in the mean time....She's in college back east and asking for leg warmers. Of course being a PS (Plus Size) means the regular patterns won't fit big calfs. any ideas???
Anita Badger wrote
on Jan 3, 2008 12:49 PM
Has KD found any errata in the Central Park Hoodie PDF pattern yet? Sandie, I PM'd you on Ravelry about the CPH KAL group's comments on this.

Anita Badger
on Dec 26, 2007 8:43 PM
Just wanted to say, "Thank You so much for the pics!" I purchased the pattern but was hesitant to start it because I wasn't sure if it would look right on me. Now I know I have nothing to fear because your beautiful models are representative of me too! Thank you again and to the gals for modeling the sweater.
GJabouri wrote
on Dec 17, 2007 5:05 PM
Hi JENNA,

Sure, you can do anything you want ... it depends how much the variegated yarn would distract from your cable work. Usually cables are done in a solid color, because you want to emphasize the texture you created.
Jenna wrote
on Dec 17, 2007 3:10 PM
I want to use Takhi "Bunny Print". However, a friend says you can't use varigated yarn for cabled work, because the color changes will "break the cables". Any thoughts? (Once, in LYS, I tried to encourage a different friend with, "You can do anything you want: You're the knitter!" Two men (!) sampling in the "lounge", chuckled or maybe snickered. I was too shy to ask if they were agreeing or scoffing.)
Sara@3 wrote
on Dec 17, 2007 1:27 PM
I enjoy seeing the galleries, my question is are you going to offer the same for the sweaters from interweave crochet also? i'd love to see them modeled for the same reason that the knits galleries are so helpful. thanks.
catmomnw wrote
on Dec 17, 2007 12:57 PM
Too much fun! Now, I'm wondering how I would adjust a pattern. I'm average bust, 35" and height 5'6" but am very wide in the shoulders. Raglan sleeves usually just fit funny on me. If I make them large enough to cover the shoulders, then I get lost in the sweater. Any ideas for my particular problem? I love all the raglan patterns and really want to do the CPH, but right now I avoid them.
Mary wrote
on Dec 17, 2007 1:07 AM
Hi Sandi, I absolutely love and appreciate your galleries of our favourite knitwear. Sometimes I see a pattern I adore: the model looks great in it, and I think it'll look good on me too - but you never know 'til you put it on! So your knitting galleries give me a much better idea of how a piece of knitwear might look on my form - before I knit it! Thank you, Sandi! You're saving me from many trips to the frog pond!
Vpurl wrote
on Dec 16, 2007 12:23 PM
The CPH articles have been so helpful and inspiring. The info on cable placement, offset buttons, length issues -- all highly worth reading. And your gallery idea is the best thing in knitting since superwash wool.
One question: I'd like the back cable to continue onto the hood. Would that be hard to do? (I don't have the pattern yet, so it's hard to tell.)
kenskid2 wrote
on Dec 16, 2007 11:23 AM
Wow! Thanks to all the girls for sharing their measurements and pictures of the hoodie...this makes it much easier to visualize the finished sweater on my daughter and get the size right the first time! Thanks again.
MargaretM@9 wrote
on Dec 16, 2007 10:16 AM
I think your bigger version of the CPH is so much better than the original green one. Yours grabbed my interest, but the green one didn't. Too short, too small on the model.Thank you SO much! Margaret in Indiana
Elizabeth wrote
on Dec 15, 2007 11:38 PM
Hello to Lorraine! I miss the knit shop you used to have, but am glad to see you you are doing something you enjoy! You look great! Merry Christmas! Nancy
knittingbox wrote
on Dec 15, 2007 7:46 PM
Last comment for today, I promise. I often wonder if I like the garment, or if I just want to look the way the model does. Your galleries, really help with that. (answer: mostly I just want to look like the model. And also, I think I'll never figure out how to get something to fit me best. But you guys will be working on the latter, I am sure.)

Happy holidays.
knittingbox wrote
on Dec 15, 2007 7:44 PM
Just thought you'd like to know all your hard work on this has paid off. Yesterday I had decided to buy the pattern for Rogue, but now I think I'm going to do the CPH, instead! Great job, ladies!
knittingbox wrote
on Dec 15, 2007 7:36 PM
Thanks for the plus size gallery. Funny it come now because after viewing the last gallery I was thinking, gee everyone is so think at IK! I'm not really a plus size (I go up and down, but my height usually keeps me away from plus sizes, although not always...), but it was so nice to see a variety of women. In fact, just seeing all these happy women in various sizes made me feel better about me. And that is saying quite a lot. Thank you, Sandi and everyone else at IK.

Happy Holidays!
Happygoo25 wrote
on Dec 15, 2007 7:10 PM
Frog alert! I think a double strand of yarn would need to be separated by unwinding into a hank and then rewinding using two ball winders. Otherwise you should probably employ some friends to help you separate them. It can be a party.
Happygoo25 wrote
on Dec 15, 2007 7:06 PM
In reference to petite figures, I too am small and usually choose the smallest size; however, I always need to make bust increases and sometimes waist decreases. Depending on the style of the sweater this isn't always easy. In the case of the CPH I would hide the decreases on either side of the cable and at the side seams. Then I would add some short rows at the bust which would include at least one cabel crossing.

I also think the hood is too long. In fact, if it isn't going to be worn it can be shortened and worn as a collar.
Marg wrote
on Dec 15, 2007 6:55 PM
This is brilliant. Finally a sample garment in a size I can relate to being modelled by ladies I can relate to. Thank-you so much.
BerylN wrote
on Dec 15, 2007 4:07 PM
cni I ask a question about a problem with a knitting pattern on here
Workwoman wrote
on Dec 15, 2007 2:23 PM
I really appreciate the funny and positive ways in which you all have discussed different body sizes and types. And a thank you to all the fantastic women who have modeled!
Marilyn1063 wrote
on Dec 15, 2007 2:08 PM
Seeing the gallery has inspired me. I like the look on the plus girls pictures. I am a 48-42-49, what will be a nice ease for me? I do wear 2 layers under the coat. Some people says I should not were too big clothes. I do not like to feel tight, but would like to be more fashionable. let me have some suggestions.
Marilyn
on Dec 15, 2007 10:24 AM
I am so glad to see patterns adapted to larger (normal) sized women, and photographed on different body types!
After years of frustration with Vogue and Rowan patterns that stopped at Large, or considered 42" to be XL, big girls who knit are getting some stuff they can use!
My problem is that all my extra is up front--in the belly. I linked to a neat british survey of body types and came uo as--a "potato"!! Got any round in the middle staffers? All you ladies have FIGURES! The shorter length gives a younger look, as does negative ease.
JacquiM wrote
on Dec 15, 2007 9:08 AM
any chance you can get the shop to accept a uk address so I can buy this one too? Please, pretty please!
MargaretH wrote
on Dec 15, 2007 8:41 AM
Great gallery, and -many- thanks to the models!
AnitaW@2 wrote
on Dec 15, 2007 8:31 AM
Please continue adjusting patterns to larger sizes so that I can wear the items instead of giving away. Lisa, you look wonderful wearing the hoodie and the fit is perfect--very becoming
MARIONF wrote
on Dec 15, 2007 7:50 AM
what a super great idea to put pics along with the story....very inspiring. Now I want to knit for me....! This project may be the one to get me started. Thanks again for a GREAT idea and pics....marion frazer P.S thank you to the models also, they look lovely.
Anonymous wrote
on Dec 15, 2007 6:51 AM
Is it the new fashion that - regardless of total garment size - the sleeves all look too long by about 2 inches?
invalid wrote
on Dec 15, 2007 2:22 AM
Thanks to Sandi and to all the other beautiful women who modeled the sweater! I really appreciate seeing women my size and shape modeling knitwear.
Barbara RM wrote
on Dec 15, 2007 1:51 AM
I appreciate Lisa's "what I would do differently" comments. I have another idea for the list. This style sweater would lend itself to the addition of short row shaping at the bust thereby lengthening the front a bit more so that it hangs evenly with the back length. I find short row shaping to be the key to turning those lumps and bumps into real "assets". The sweater pattern should have short row shaping directions included so the "Beautifully endowed" can appropriately adapt the sweater for a truer fit.
SaraJ wrote
on Dec 15, 2007 1:11 AM
Well holy moly, and pass the cables, cause I thought they might be too much on me . . . . I am about the Lisa/Amy (Hope I got the names right, sorry if I didn't!) size/shape, and oh my GOODNESS if that just doesn't look stunning on these ladies! The more svelte ladies in the group would be enhanced best by a smaller size, but the great thing is, these galleries SHOW exactly what works, what doesn't, etc.! Sometimes the hood was too big but the rest seemed comfortably snuggly large if one wanted a sweater to be so, sometimes the whole thing seemed to big, sometimes certain aspects seemed just right, and much of the time the whole thing looked amazing on these ladies!

Thank you to ALL ladies, from every curve, height, and topography (hee) of the landscape. I know it'd be hard for me to put my measurements up, let alone with pics.

I think they deserve a nice Christmas bonus, all the KD gallery ladies this year!!!

oh, and IW, Sandi could sure use a raise . . . . Santa Claus told me she's been a good girl this year (overlooking some natural enabling of casting-on-ing-ness and yarn-purchasing-ness and magazine subscribing-ness (well, that last is obviously part of the nature of KD, so she's just doin' her job!)

Anyway. I've got alot of catching up to do, I haven't been around here for too long!

Hi Sandi, thank YOU, thanks Lisa, and thanks gallery ladies, and thanks IW gang!
JenniferH wrote
on Dec 14, 2007 11:56 PM
I love the Hoodie! It looks gorgeous on so many different body types & I love the vivacious ladies who volunteered to model it. I'd not really considered knitting this pattern, but I've changed my mind, completely. Way to GO! Jennifer
Miss minerva wrote
on Dec 14, 2007 11:03 PM
many many thanks Chevette, Amy, Lorraine, Teresa, Nicole, Jodi, Barbara Jean and (of course) Sandi. Speaking as a girl with plenty of "landscape" (what a wonderful phrase!!!) I know that it can often be uncomfortable to share pictures of myself (especially on the internet!) but the bravery of the goddess gals (not to mention the great 'tude!) have given me the confidence to go out and make things I would not have thought would look so good on my figure (picture a slightly bustier Jodi).

Kudos, generous thanks and wholehearted applause, gals!! Keep those galleries coming!
ShanaM wrote
on Dec 14, 2007 10:50 PM
Beautiful gallery pictures. Thank you so much for sharing your actual sizes. It makes it MUCH easier for a woman my size to figure out exactly what I need. You are all BEAUTIFUL WOMEN!
on Dec 14, 2007 10:50 PM
Millions of thanks to the curvy girls for modeling the hoodie and even sharing their measurements. This was a real help for us plus size gals.
LeaV wrote
on Dec 14, 2007 10:39 PM
Thank you for showing this sweater knit up for us plus sized gals. There are so many patterns out there that I'd love to knit but I get discouraged when the largest size fits Twiggy and nobody else! I get tired of seeing beautiful designs on skinny, flat-chested models! Hey all you designers out there - we plus size gals want beautiful, good fitting sweaters too!!! OK, I'll get off my soap box now and return you to your regularly scheduled show...

Wink, LeaMV
PegM wrote
on Dec 14, 2007 10:36 PM
I so appreciate items for larger sized gals. I wish every sweater pattern had the larger version to go with it. There are so many patterns I have wanted to do but discouraged because they were not patterned for us beautiful big babes
MonicaPDX wrote
on Dec 14, 2007 10:15 PM
Gallery - wonderful! Goddesses - gorgeous! I already bought the plus-sized pattern, but it's fantastic to see exactly how it looks on so many different sizes. Now I know for *sure* I can look great in this sweater! Bless you all for doing this, and everyone who modeled, as Caroline L above said. Not only for taking the jump to model, but for looking so happy while doing it. And the great poses with attitude, too. Lovely to see!
KaraR wrote
on Dec 14, 2007 10:05 PM
I really, really love the fact that you made a "Plus Size" gallery. I have a problem now. I want to make the sweater but due to the HUGE increase in my hips, and not wanting a short sweater, will there be shaping instructions added to the pattern?
StellsBells wrote
on Dec 14, 2007 9:18 PM
Love the sweater, love the gallery for pieces, and love the Sandi and site in general. However, and sorry for the off-topic, but I have to ask about the dog sculpture next to Barbara Jean. Totally fabulous. Artist? Website of same?
PegF wrote
on Dec 14, 2007 8:55 PM
I really like the CHP, except for the "H" part. Would it be very difficult to take the front facing on up and around to make a roll-over collar? While I'm in the original sizing scheme, I appreciate the work involved in re-structuring the pattern for the "more shapely" ladies. Great job, guys!
TenliY wrote
on Dec 14, 2007 8:05 PM
This is one of the best galleries ever. Makes me want to knit the hoodie!!!
TaraR wrote
on Dec 14, 2007 8:03 PM
Wonderful!!! Thank you all so much for sharing. What a beautiful sweater. I am wondering whether Lisa's pattern includes the "things I would have done differently" (front cables closer together and a bit longer) or is exactly as the shown sweater. I think I'll be buying this pattern and probably knitting more than one of these.
Lynn G. wrote
on Dec 14, 2007 7:50 PM
I loved this gallery. The comments in today's post about vertical "landscape" and torso-length are very helpful. I know I'm in a small, pun intended, minority, but I hope someday you'll do a "mini"-sized gallery, NOT for anorexic-looking models who are usually super-tall as well as ridiculously thin, but for those of us who really are tiny all over (but not necessary curve-less). I have the opposite problem of the one addressed today: not much total landscape. But despite being very small, I DO have a nice shape, sort of hourglass trending toward pear, as unfortunately the goddesses endowed me with more below than above, despite the fact that my grandmothers on both sides had way more than plenty on top! Anyway, my point is that I could look good in a garment that was the right size and properly shaped, and I'd have to know how to make the same kinds of adjustments for height, ease, and sleeve length as the larger gals do, just in reverse. I wonder, after reading the very cool comments about cable-placement, whether there are ways to move the "focal points" in patterns to help teeny women look like they have more shape. I know that one trick is to add COLOR on top with a lighter color below it, to make the chest look larger, but I wonder how TEXTURES come into play. More often than not, the smallest size offered in a pattern is too large for me, but the styling of some patterns look possibly flattering for my shape, especially when compared with children's patterns. While my height and weight are about the same as what is currently a girls' size 14, I am NOT shaped like a teenager or a child's size large. I'd love to learn how to make age appropriate (nearing 40) garments in my size.
NancyM@3 wrote
on Dec 14, 2007 7:48 PM
It is nice to see some REAL size models to really see this pattern! please thank the Ladies for me!
CarolineL wrote
on Dec 14, 2007 7:03 PM
Sandi --

THANK YOU for this gallery. I hadn't even considered making this pattern until I saw it on your volunteers, but I'll be getting my copy as soon as my paycheck clears -- this is *gorgeous*!

Also, please thank ALL of your goddesses (but especially Nicole and Amy), for being willing to publish their measurements like this.

As someone of similar dimension, I'm sure it wasn't an easy thing for them to do, but being able to see the sweater on someone who *looks like me* is what's sold me on making it for myself.
FranceenG wrote
on Dec 14, 2007 6:55 PM
I frogged a sweater that was knit with a double strand of yarn. I now have balls of double stranded yarn. How can I easily separate the strands to re-use the yarn for a single-stranded project? I tried knitting with one strand while trying to roll the remaining strand - what a tangled mess!
HELP
CateF wrote
on Dec 14, 2007 6:39 PM
Chevette looks fantastic in the CPH! She needs to get busy knitting ;-)
Cate Fitt
Richmond, Virginia
NinaT wrote
on Dec 14, 2007 6:35 PM
I'm even more sold on the CPH than before, thanks to the gallery! It's so great to see FOs on "real" women, not stick models. Thanks so much.
MeM wrote
on Dec 14, 2007 6:27 PM
The best part of this gallery is Sandi's rock-star pose! Love it :)

That's how to wear a good knit!
MimiS wrote
on Dec 14, 2007 6:11 PM
I really loved seeing this terrific sweater on real bust-belly-butt type gals. So many times I shy away from a project because I am not sure how it would look on me since I am of the short and squatty type. I look forward to more of this with other projects. Thanks.
RachelK@4 wrote
on Dec 14, 2007 6:06 PM
I'm wondering if it's possible to do more galleries. A sweater I love but am unsure about is the Butterfly, originally published in KnitScene Spring 2007. Love to see it on less wispy folks!
annekaelber wrote
on Dec 14, 2007 6:02 PM
Thanks for this plus-size gallery! But, I must confess---if I was asked, I don't think I would have classed Lorraine, Teresa, Jodi, Barbara Jean or Sandi as "plus size"! I would call all those women "normal size" instead of the size I call most of the models in the magazine, which is "Eat a donut please!"

Have we already done a poll on KD regarding the size of the members? Has that affected Interweave's plans for future patterns to show off more plus-size patterns? Is Interweave dependent on submissions (like,say sci-fi mags are) or do you guys have people you can go to to get what you want for a particular issue?

Can we get more "behind-the-scenes" on what putting together an issue of IK is like? Didn't the new editor say she was working on one issue (winter?) when living in another season (summer?)?

Sorry to be so off (current) topic, but these are thoughts that are on my mind as I'm seriously considering dropping my IK subscription---it really doesn't apply to me most issues---and ordering that UK mag I love the most.

Anne.
JeanK wrote
on Dec 14, 2007 5:55 PM
I think it is great that you have a plus size gallery. I often feel intimidated looking at the models in the knitting magazines. Thanks.
KristenM wrote
on Dec 14, 2007 5:52 PM
Thanks for the gallery again. I thought height would help, but when I saw this gallery, I realized how much. After 5'7" the cardi looks too short on the ladies. In terms of making a good fit, the length of torso seems to matter as much as the ease.
AdrienneB wrote
on Dec 14, 2007 5:51 PM
I love the galleries. I believe they are one of the best features of knitting daily, and I really enjoy knitting daily, so that is saying quite a bit.

The CPH is a gallery I can look at and get a real feel for how something will look on me.

In January, are there any plans to do galleries for the Knitscene patterns? I am putting in a request for the Curvy top down raglan, if you are so inclined.
AlexisT wrote
on Dec 14, 2007 5:36 PM
Wow, the ladies in the CPH gallery are gorgeous! They're making the sweater look even cuter than before!

I hadn't been completely sold on that sweater before, but now I'm not only interested, but I think I know how much ease I want to aim for too. Thanks everybody!
M.C@2 wrote
on Dec 14, 2007 5:32 PM
This is an absolutely wonderful idea. One reason I don't often start a sweater is that I can't tell how it's going to look until I've invested about 3 months of my knitting life in it. The Gallery completely changed my view of which sweaters I mightlike to knit from the new issue. The features on different body types are brilliant!
SandyS wrote
on Dec 14, 2007 5:25 PM
Absolutely beautiful, I love the cph gallery. Great work.
Sandy S
PamK wrote
on Dec 14, 2007 5:16 PM
Much better pics! Now that my paycheck is deposited, I can order the pattern! Which at $5.50 for that much of a size range is a bargain!I regularly pay that much and more for FiberTrends patterns.
LizM wrote
on Dec 14, 2007 5:08 PM
Love this gallery and THANK YOU for putting it up. Don't suppose you can find an Interweave gal who's way bigger up top than round the hips? I'm a 52"/39"/44" (have always been three/four dress sizes bigger up top!) and it's so difficult to work out what something will look like on me! This is brilliant, and please, keep doing it!
GJabouri wrote
on Dec 14, 2007 4:16 PM
ALRIGHT - finally a gallery I can relate to!!