Even The Reindeer Are Knitting!

Dec 21, 2007

'Twas the night before Christmas, and all through the land
Every knitter was knitting, quite fast, with both hands.
New socks off the needles hung chimney-side there,
In hopes that they'd dry—just soon enough to wear.

The kitties snuggled purring in warm woolly afghans,
That square by square grew from bits, bobs, and yarn-ends.
And Hubby in his hoodie, and I in knit cap,
Sat desperately knitting, half-done gifts in each lap.

When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter
That our pointy sticks poked! And THAT stopped all our chatter.
To the window we flew as though yarn were on sale
And pulled back the drapes, the view to unveil.

The moon on the gusset of our newly-knit socks
Revealed no holes that anyone might mock;
Just a miniature sleigh, not knitted at all,
And eight tiny reindeer—they were really quite small!

There was a little old knitter, casting on stitches so quick,
That I knew in a moment it must be Saint Nick.
(Not my husband, my Nick, though he's a nice dude—
'Twas the REAL St. Knitster, all jolly attitude!)

Each reindeer had yarn and needles a-clicking;
Each was knitting and knitting—because the clock was still ticking!
They'd come here to help, with gift knitting gone wild—
To help with our knitting!—and so we both smiled.

More rapid than lace knitters those coursers they knit;
And The Knitster shouted names that had changed just a bit:

"Now, Cashmere! Now, Cotton! Now, Llama and Linen!
On Quiviut! On Lambswool! On, Mohair and Rayon!

To the end of the row! To the last stitch of them all!
Now bind off and cast off and then proudly stand tall!"

The Jolly One stood surveying his team,
As they grafted and backstitched to sew up each seam.
Each piece blocked by magic, and dried in a wink,
And soon every reindeer (each smiling, I think)
Had sweaters and scarves and warm mittens piled high—
And stockings, of course! All were laid nigh.

The knitting was done! Not a stitch out of place!
And St. Knitster looked on, a wide grin on his face.
Then laying his finger aside of his nose,
And giving a nod, up the chimney he rose!
Then we heard him exclaim, 'ere he drove out of sight:
"Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!"

(The reindeer made me do it...Merry Merry! — Sandi)

All of us here at Knitting Daily wish you and your loved ones the most joyous of holiday seasons. May peace and the warmth of loving hearts be yours in the new year ahead.

Knitting Daily is on holiday! The Knitting Daily team is taking a little break, to spend some time with friends and family, eat a few cookies, and knit a few stitches with a cup of cocoa nearby. We'll be back with new knitting good stuff on January 2nd. See you then!

Socks pictured above:
Green Socks: Broken Cable Rib Socks by Ann Budd (free pattern)
Ivory Socks: Tyrolean Socks by Ann Budd (in the KD Store)
Red Socks: Comfy Socks from Knitscene (free pattern)

Sandi Wiseheart is the editor of Knitting Daily.

What's on Sandi's needles? Ten inches of the Gathered Pullover; a pair of socks on two circulars with partial heel flaps, and ten inches of the hood of my husband's cabled Christmas hoodie. It won't be done by the time St. Knitster and his reindeer arrive, but it might be done by the New Year. We'll See.

Comments

EmmaS@3 wrote
on Jan 2, 2008 11:59 AM
It is very beautiful!!!
SusiW wrote
on Jan 1, 2008 8:41 AM
I just want to say how much I enjoyed your site. I would name it "Knitting Hourly" as I am an avid knitter, and recently broke a bone in my ankle, thus need to spend hours with my foot up. Watch a lot of movies and knit a lot. Not too bad.
on Dec 31, 2007 12:37 AM
I really loved this post. I was wondering if you could tell me how patterns are chosen to go in the knitting daily store and how we could suggest patterns. I would really love to see the Babette blanket put up there - hint hint.
HarrietM wrote
on Dec 29, 2007 1:50 PM
I just knit a velour scarf with a fringe. The cut ends keep shedding. Anyone have any ideas how to fix thisj?
Harriet M Dec 29, 2007
DebbieH@2 wrote
on Dec 29, 2007 10:11 AM
I have just purchased the knitting loom, is there any other patterns to use on the loom?
RikiK wrote
on Dec 24, 2007 5:57 PM
Sandi - Have a wonderful Christmas! I'm reading this here in Bangkok, Thailand, on Christmas morning - at work - and just loved your rendition of The Night Before Christmas! Thank you for my first laugh of the day!

Riki in Bangkok (who gave up on finishing Mom's sweater and wrapped it with sleeve holes gaping.)
GJabouri wrote
on Dec 24, 2007 11:23 AM
Hi all,
to AMY and PAM: Let's bury the hatchet. I think we all are aware that everything a company does is meant to increase profits, whether it is a free newsletter or product samples. The question is: On balance, do you get enough useful info out of this newsletter to tolerate the ads and sales pitches? Just weigh that and then decide whether to unsubscribe or not.
So ... HAPPY HOLIDAYS to everyone.

P.S. What are your best knitting-related gifts (not counting gifted or received FOs) that you received or have given? I just love my little (about 8" by 6") notions bag. It's clear plastic on one side and fabric on the other. It holds every tool I need.
MarthaS wrote
on Dec 24, 2007 6:50 AM
Thank You. It made my day!
A Blessed and Bountiful Christmas and New Years to all the knitsters.
MaureenC@2 wrote
on Dec 23, 2007 9:53 PM
Sandi, what a great poem-very well done! I always enjoy your style (writing and otherwise). Thanks for all you've given!
JudyM wrote
on Dec 22, 2007 12:02 PM
Just too cute! Thanks for the chuckle, I needed that.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Knitting, I mean year.
Abbybales wrote
on Dec 22, 2007 11:24 AM
What a fantastic poem! Thanks for sharing it with us! Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!
ElaineC wrote
on Dec 22, 2007 9:14 AM
Sandi - LOVE the poem! You are very talented; a tip of my cap to you. And thank you and all your cohorts for all you do for us. Enjoy your well-deserved break. Merry Christmas and best wishes for a happy, healthy New Year!
Theresa wrote
on Dec 22, 2007 7:41 AM
Have a wonderful holiday Sandi - you deserve it. No "Knitting Daily" until January? Sigh. I will just keep knitting til then.
M.M wrote
on Dec 22, 2007 7:17 AM
Pam K, I couldn't have said it better. To Amy and others sharing her view...aw shucks, the rest of us will surely miss all that howling.

AWESOME POEM, SANDI...keep up the good work! Have a wonderful holiday.

Marie
Janet A. wrote
on Dec 21, 2007 8:45 PM
I'll never hear that poem again without thinking of St. Knitster
NancyB wrote
on Dec 21, 2007 7:42 PM
Great poem, Sandi! Merry Christmas to all here, and happy knitting!
Pica wrote
on Dec 21, 2007 7:14 PM
"Merry Christmas to all"...Thanks for all you do...Those Comfy Socks might just make it off my needles in time...loved the poem. Don't forget to eat too much chocolate.
QuinnP wrote
on Dec 21, 2007 7:09 PM
Happy Holidays, Sandi - to you and yours and all the folks at KnittingDaily!
Thanks for all the helpful and inspiring info...see you in 2008!
JillS wrote
on Dec 21, 2007 7:07 PM
Just loved the reindeer poem. It made me smile and smile and smile.
Jill Australia
TommyeG wrote
on Dec 21, 2007 6:08 PM
What a great renditiion of "The Night Before Christmas," and the alternate endings from a knitter made me chuckle, too. They say laughter adds about eight years to your life. Great thought. Merry Christmas and a safe and Happy New Year to all.
SeattleAmy wrote
on Dec 21, 2007 5:34 PM
I've never complained before. In addition to the subscription to IK, I buy their other magazines and books. So they are getting a steady supply of funds from me.

Maybe if there are that many of us complaining, SOMEONE should think twice about the idea! Maybe those of us who are voicing our complaints are just as tired of people who are just sooo happy to drink the cool aid.

If you have such a problem with my complaint, why don't you ignore me? Who put you in charge as the comment police? Where does it state that only happy comments are allowed? EVERYONE's input is allowed....otheerwise, I'd be hitting the delete button on quite a few!
ChristineN wrote
on Dec 21, 2007 5:10 PM
The new version of Night Before Christmas was a knitter's delight. I loved it. You're quite ingenious!!
MeriT wrote
on Dec 21, 2007 4:57 PM
I loved it! The poem is perfect! How clever you are! Merry Christmas!
Camilla WV wrote
on Dec 21, 2007 4:33 PM
Loved the poem. Happy New Year.

What are the changes to the gathered pullover to fit you--I thought you had posted them but I can't find, and I'm built with a substantial set of Ladies myself....Thanks
WendyW@2 wrote
on Dec 21, 2007 4:33 PM
Sandi, this is wonderful! I love it.
Wishing all the joys of the holiday season to everyone at Knitting Daily, Interweave Knits and their families. And Happy New Year, too!
KristenF wrote
on Dec 21, 2007 4:25 PM
I love it !
Kris Freiermuth Portland, OR
Mliz55 wrote
on Dec 21, 2007 3:56 PM
Thank You so much!! That was just what I needed, and clearly you are very talented, in more than knitting!
PamK wrote
on Dec 21, 2007 3:50 PM
@ Amy- you signed up for a free newsletter. That's what you're getting. Are you so na?ve as to think that there wouldn't be any sales involved? Any newsletter subscribed to has some level of selling going on. I'm sick to death at all the griping and groaning about the IK shop. Why should anyone get patterns for free that I had to pay for? As in I purchased the magazine. So stop your whining and either cancel your subscription to the newsletter, or suck it up like an adult, and go with the flow.
SANDY!!
That poem was the Cat's meow! Merry Christmas to you and all the great people at IK.
Pam
DrusillaK wrote
on Dec 21, 2007 3:31 PM
XLNT, Sandi! I loved it. Every line a hit!
I felt you missed just a bit at the end though, where surely St Knitster would exclaim, as on his sleigh he did sit, with his face all alit, "Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good knit!"
Or, alternatively, as he drove away in his sleigh, "Merry Christmas to all, and to all good crochet!"
Then again, he could drive away pleading, "Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good beading!"
Or, clattering off with a din, "Merry Christmas to all, and long may you spin!"
Sorry-- OCD, you know... that's what keeps me knitting (and frogging) ;^D
SeattleAmy wrote
on Dec 21, 2007 3:23 PM
I feel compelled to comment after the last week or so of updates.

I LOVE getting your emails and look forward to the information and content.

What I don't love is that it seems to have turned into a sales pitch and anotheer avenue to get money from your consumers.

At least this email has something other than a sales pitch to buy a pattern, but it is still pushing the purchase a pattern route.

If this keeps up, I'm going ot have to remove myself from the daily emails. It's not what I signed up for. It's a bit too close to bait and switch for me.

Sorry if no one else agrees withe me or minds the changes, but I'm definitely not on the happy side on this issue.

Amy
sulitk wrote
on Dec 21, 2007 1:40 PM
Merry Christmas to you Sandi and Thanks for getting this out before 3pm EST. :)
Eliza wrote
on Dec 21, 2007 1:21 PM
oh, fun! I love the poem! And the first thing I thought when I saw the broken-cable socks up there was "a stocking pattern?" And then I realized that I can use the pattern, along with all the wisdom you've taught this year, to make an extra large Christmas broken-rib stocking. Though that might wait a year or two...

have a wonderful holiday and Thank you!!!