Inspiration From Fearless Knitters

Jan 4, 2008

Dear Knitting Daily Readers:

You make me speechless with joy sometimes. Thursday afternoon, after a long and weird day, I sat down to read your comments on Wednesday's New Year post, and...wow. Are you people amazing, or what? You are not just fearless...you are fabulous. I am sooo impressed at how many new things you all tried in 2007, how many risks you took, how many new things you attempted. I bow to your Knitting Bravery, and I thank you for sharing your knitting adventures with everyone here on Knitting Daily.

Today, I wanted to do a few excerpts from the comments...and found myself trying to "excerpt" everyone's accomplishments! I finally gave up, selected a few at random, and to the rest of you I say: You are such an inspiration to me, personally, and to all of us. Thank you.

As you can see above, Kat and I came up with a little gift for all of you fearless, fab knitters: a blog button! (Instructions and other sizes and designs are included.) Enjoy!

Here's why you all inspire me, each and every day:

Kay A. inspires with her practical wisdom: I need to stop thinking of frogged knitting as wasted time, and instead think of it as learning from my mistakes. I need to stop thinking that the patterns I have or will design all must be offered free all the time because none of them are worthy of being submitted for publication and/or sold on my website. I also need to avoid talking technique with people because I'm afraid I don't 'know enough'. Sounds like you know quite a lot, Ms. Kay! You go, girl!

Kyira K. inspires with her determination: This year, I will fearlessly KNIT MY FIRST SWEATER!! OK, Kyira. You know we're all rooting for you, so send photos when you can.

Sharon V. inspires because she has the bravery to question her fears out loud: I need moral support for my issues with making vs. not making the sweater...[the first of which is] by the time I'm finished with it, I'll be too fat to wear it so what's the point? Am I destined never to make anything for myself? Hmm. I sense a post topic in the making: How To Knit A Sweater You'll Never Be Too Fat To Wear....Hmm. :)

Yvette R. inspires because she pretty much wins the Fearless Knitter 2007 award, hands down: I tried to be a fearless knitter in 2007. I taught myself to knit last January and since then I have knit socks, cables, lace, my first fair isle project and a sweater I designed for myself! Um, Yvette? You did not just try to be a fearless knitter. You ARE a fearless knitter. AWESOME!!

Jeanne inspires by reminding us that we are all in this together! Reading knitting blogs makes me a more fearless knitter. It makes me realize that even the best knitters make bone-headed mistakes! I'm not hopeless!

Tabitha inspires with her great attitude: I did a lot of fearless knitting in 2007. Sometimes fearless to the point of lunacy. Got myself in way over my head on more than one occasion but I learned something every time. I plan to do more of the same in 2008. Hopefully, this year will bring more knitting successes than failures!

And finally, my favorite comment, from Korie Beth B: I love the idea of knitting fearlessly — I would like to live fearlessly.

Yes, indeed, Korie Beth. May we all knit and live and love and laugh fearlessly this year.

Speaking of New Things...

Saturday night, I am going to my first-ever NHL hockey game. Yep. Me--at an actual sports event. Why would I do such a thing? For charity, of course: Sticks and Stitches, to be exact. A pack of Colorado knitters will be joining me at the Colorado Avalanche game (I'm now supposed to shout "GO AVS!" with gusto as if I have any clue who the other guys are), knitting afghan squares for Warm Up America, CYCA's program to distribute afghans to chilly folks in need.

Next week, I'll have photos and stories from the game to share.

Learn more about Sticks N' Stitches events in Colorado and elsewhere, as well as more about Warm Up America.

Sandi Wiseheart is the editor of Knitting Daily.

What's on Sandi's needles? I'm almost done with the cable on the front of the Gathered Pullover. I did not finish my husband's pullover in time for Christmas (oh well), but I did finish the hood and am halfway done with the sleeves.

Comments

on Oct 2, 2008 11:16 AM

Pingback from  daily knitter

FranG wrote
on Jan 21, 2008 9:34 PM
I don't know if I have reached the Truly Fearless knitting stage. I do know I really don't stop to think about whether I can make something or not anymore. I have made enough mistakes, and fixed them,to believe that I can somehow get through almost anything, or find a friend who can. If anything, I tend to consistently bite off more than I can chew- good way to learn new things!
on Jan 21, 2008 6:58 PM
I teach, and I help my new knitters to pick a pattern and then walk them through it! My newest knitter worked on the simple garter stitch scarf, then a sweater for her 18 month old daughter. Then she wanted to knit the same sweater for her, only in a bulky weight, not sport weight yarn! Ok, out cam the calculator and the measuring tape. We found her gage and she was off. She wore her new sweater last Wendsday! Talk about how proud she was! She can now take on just about anything with confidence!

Knittin' Kiti, NW of Philly, PA
RebeccaW@4 wrote
on Jan 21, 2008 6:31 PM
I am a fairly fearless knitter. I taught myself to knit and I jumped in with both feet. The first thing I made was an afghan with cables and bobbles and the whole works. The panels didn't match up, but each one was beautiful lol. What holds me back most is my chronic ailment, fibromyalgia. This makes it tough to do anything, unfortunately knitting falls way down the list of things that are important; you know behind getting out of bed and getting dressed. But, I still dream fearlessly and collect patterns for those times I do feel fantastic and can jump in with both feet again.
jgpac00000 wrote
on Jan 20, 2008 12:44 PM
When I was a child, I spent many weeks sick in bed with bronchitis. To pass the time, my Mother, who had to go out to work, taught me how to knit. Today I am almost 70 and still knitting. I have done everything from mosaic to lace to socks to a baptismal dress for my grandson. My husband and Mother both died within a few months of each other in 1993, and it was knitting that saved my sanity. In 2008 I would like to get back to the needles, and am always looking for expert patterns especially with methods I have not yet mastered (and there are many!) Being allergic to wool, it's always fun to try to find suitable substitutes.
MichelleJ wrote
on Jan 16, 2008 5:51 PM
Hi Lolly - I'm from Tasmania. I agree with you on entrelac jumpers, but the entrelac socks in the recent Gift edition give a lovely look with variagated yarn.
Cheers
LollyL wrote
on Jan 9, 2008 10:36 PM
Hi from Lolly in Queensland, Australia. I'm left-handed, and have been knitting right-handed since I was six (nearly 42 now), so last year I taught myself how to knit left-handed. It hurt my brain a bit. No-one around could teach me how to crochet, Nanna threw it across the room and Mum gave up, so 6 years ago I taught myself how (left-handed) because I needed it for a sculpture. I've taught many women to knit socks, and have tried every technique successfully - although I reckon entrelac is incredibly ugly. But I need to get fearless this year because I cannot knit from a chart. Yet. But I will.
MichelleJ wrote
on Jan 9, 2008 6:54 PM
Hi Barbara - I once knitted a large mobius when I was attempting to knit a skirt in the round. Now I know what happens if the cast on gets twisted. To prevent it from happening again I now knit the first two rows back and forth and then join for the round. I figure that I've got to darn the yarn tail in anyway so may as well use it for a tiny seam.
BarbaraF wrote
on Jan 8, 2008 11:46 AM
I want to knit fearlessly, aimlessly, carefree-i-ly, busily, speed-i-ly and have been optimistically gathering the goods I'll need.

I've fallen in LOVE with Cat Bordhi. I bought her kit Socks Soar On Two Circular Needles - how BRILLIANT! - and I'm SO happy to discover her that I have three more of her books on the way.

I have absolutely no doubt that I can and WILL be knitting Mobius(es - is that correct?) soon. The only delay I have is that yesterday I had to order different eyeglasses, which are going to take up to 10 days to arrive.

Once here, I'm going to hibernate so I can knit the winter away.
KellieN wrote
on Jan 7, 2008 11:15 PM
Fearless knitting-I love that. I am also a mom of a wrestler, and I take it to most of the meets. Go Georgiann! For me, knitting fearlessly in 2008 will be to get over my fear of missing out if I don't buy new yarn. To put it another way, I want to spend the year shopping my stash and revisit all my wonderful yarn memories. Sometimes actually knitting with yarn is anti-climatic. When yarn is in the ball, it can be anything-it is a dream in a wrapper. Once it's knitted, it's knitted. No more endless possibilities. This year I will trust myself to make the yarn into something wonderful.
GeorgiannC wrote
on Jan 7, 2008 10:12 PM
I do love hockey, but I'm a wrestling mom who gets lots knitted while on the way to and during matches. I used to be a little shy about taking my knitting out in public, but now (years later) I am quite fearless about it! And lots of people ask what I am up to -- it is a great way to promote the art.
DianeD wrote
on Jan 7, 2008 9:10 PM
Hey Sandi - enjoy the hockey game. I've made most of my projects at hockey arenas waiting for my 4 boys before and after games (that's 20 yrs of hockey) and they are still playing in University so I'm still knitting and crocheting on road trips and in arenas. My husband drives and I knit/crochet in the car - get lots done in 5-10 hour trips. I knit fearlessly by creating my own patterns or changing existing patterns to suit my tastes (sometimes it works sometimes not but I learn something new every time). My resolution in 2008 is to finish my 5 UFO's. I love your newsletter, and reading all the comments from your readers. I have to stop myself from buying more yarn and more books - I need another room to hold my stash. I'm glad to see that I'm not really going crazy, this is a knitter's way of life. Happy New Year & Happy Knitting.
ElizabethC wrote
on Jan 7, 2008 7:31 PM
Hi I started a knitting/crafter's day out once a week with a another knitter in a book store. So far no one else has joined us but it's fun and keeping us on track with projects.
Also I'm going to attempt an afghan called Lace and cables. Happy knitting and if you're in my area come join our circle.
JenniferM@3 wrote
on Jan 7, 2008 6:09 PM
When I read that you were going to be knitting at a real NHL hockey game, I was beside myself with envy. I play hockey in a women's league and have been known to bring my knitting along on road trips and once or twice to the dressing room. I would like to send in a photo(but how?)of 'knitting after the game" that I took on Saturday while you were cheering on the Avs. Fearless knitting in public is a great way to meet new people and recruit new knitters, I have found.
Kathfemme wrote
on Jan 7, 2008 4:43 PM
I must echo others' sentiments: I want a t-shirt with that design!!!!
Libraryhag wrote
on Jan 7, 2008 12:29 PM
OK, now we need a t-shirt or a knitting bag or something with that great tattoo. Oh, and a graph for knitting it would be cool.
KathyF@2 wrote
on Jan 7, 2008 6:58 AM
every morning I am filled with energy and interest to start something new and interesting, it all begins with reading all the comments and thoughts of other knitter! I have been knitting forever and yet all is new with some new challenge. thanks
kathy
AlixM wrote
on Jan 7, 2008 2:33 AM
I just wanted to say that this has inspired me to a fearless knitter. One sweater I've absolutely loved since seeing it is the Cobblestone Pullover by Jared Flood. Well I'm a girl who is only five feet tall and am customizing the pattern for myself. One thing I think that you guys should do is seen as how the pattern was recently put into the knitting daily shop, perhaps you could have a version in womens sizes made. Thank you for inspiring me to try doing this to the project.
LisaB@7 wrote
on Jan 6, 2008 9:28 PM
I can't WAIT to hear about your NHL experience!! Watch out - live hockey can be VERY addictive :-)

Lisa B.
RaquelM wrote
on Jan 6, 2008 7:58 PM
Hi, my name is Raquel, and I'm from San Jose, CA. I only started knitting in December. A wonderful friend that I work with was kind enough to get me going. Since then, I've had an unsatiable appetite for knitting, even starting my own website. I've started my first lace project, and have a small arsenal of yarn, from mohair, to wool, etc. I'm rotating about 4 projects right now, and am eager to work at creating my own patterns. I love the Fearless Knitter piece, I feel I'm one, and am happy to know that there are many out there!
From the You Knit girl!
on Jan 6, 2008 6:48 PM
I too can't seem to find a blog button and have to go to the website to read the comment and say anything. Idon't always respond is that why I don't have acess? I know that you'll love the hockey game they are a blast! MaryL
on Jan 6, 2008 6:47 PM
on Jan 6, 2008 6:47 PM
SusanD wrote
on Jan 6, 2008 4:21 PM
Has the Cobblestone sweater appeared in Interweave Knits, and if so, when? It looks very familiar to me. Thanks
DebbieF wrote
on Jan 6, 2008 3:35 PM
Sharon V - I didn't think anyone else had this problem. I have made three sweaters that I couldn't sew up because I had outgrown them in the time it took to make them. Now I do afghans, purses, scarves, baby clothes and anything that I don't have to fit. You are nor alone. Is there a pattern for a sweater one couldn't grow out of???
EmilieL wrote
on Jan 6, 2008 11:15 AM
I think I have been a fearless knitter in 2007, and I loved it. I started knitting in october of 2006, and since then, I have knit, in order, 1 scarf, 2 hats, 1 lace scarf, 1 baby sweater, 1 and a half man sweater(if I count all the frogging I did ;), a pair of baby booties, 1 headband (UFO...), 2 short-row winter headbands... Now I am knitting a cardigan for myself, which will be my first cables/ colorwork/zipper sewing/ hood. For 2008 ? I'd like to learn to spin, and dye some yarn too, and learn to use dpns to knit socks and mittens. How can one be a fearless knitter ? It's simple : just follow the pattern instructions ! There will always be a first time, no matter what you want to do, so don't hesitate. Read a lot about knitting, and try new things. You won't regret it. At least I don't.
ChrystineM wrote
on Jan 6, 2008 10:29 AM
I love hats. Now more than ever, with very short hair, I find myself even needing a "sleeping cap" for evenings by the wood stove. Thanks for the pattern. Like you I have a "button Jar" this must be a family left over from the depression era. I can still recall my Granny snipping buttons off any and all worn garments before they became rags (practical as the buttons would scratch the wood furniture) were donated to the thrift store (ya never know when ya might need a button and now ya won't hafta buy one.)
Thanks for rekindling the memory. These posts are more than just about knitting. You are keeping the sisterhood and culture of women connecting alive and kickin.
Chrystine Martin
RN, Knitter, spinning nut, previous quilter (still trying to unclog that stash and apply all my knowledge to my new found love) and yes - socks do go everywhere.
Now how do I mend the bottom of my worn out felted bootie slippers???
LouiseM wrote
on Jan 5, 2008 10:02 PM
I began knitting in August 07 and in those few months, I have attempted DPNs, lace and cables, all of which had initially seemed scary! I love the idea about living fearlessly too - I'm moving from Scotland to Buffalo, NY for a few months to study and it'll be the first time I've moved out of my parents' house. I've been worried that I won't be able to cope - after reading today's post, I think I'm going to tackle my first sweater during my trip and keep it as a reminder to always live fearlessly :-)
JenifferC wrote
on Jan 5, 2008 8:56 PM
For some reason I'm not receiving the blog posts in my email. I have to come to the website every day. I checked my subscription settings, to no avail. Any ideas?

I started knitting two Christmases ago because I'd been crocheting for years, and wanted to tackle some of those great patterns that combine the two. Since then I've done lots of scarves and a sweater for my husband. This year I tackled socks...and LOVE them, since I hate to put things together. I also completed the Morehouse "dragon scarf" where I had to learn the three needle bind off. I'm working on my first project for myself now, the Tilted Duster, so we'll see how that turns out. I'm unfortunately separated geographically from my husband because of work, and knitting helps me pass the time. Thanks for all the tips and tricks.
LindaB@12 wrote
on Jan 5, 2008 8:37 PM
I've been inspired by everyone and now I'm going to try a felted purse project I've been apprehensive about trying, what's the worst that can happen, right? I'll at least learn something new, even if I learn from my mistakes. I've even started my own blog about being a knitting, crochet, polymer clay enthusiast living in Sonoma County called "Millefiore Musings in the Redwoods" at millefioremusings.blogspot.com. 2008 will be my year of living fearlessly. I've even decided to take some classes in subjects I've wanted to study for a long time at the local community college. Who knows maybe I'll attempt to knit socks this year.
LauraB@2 wrote
on Jan 5, 2008 5:51 PM
I fearlessly knitted socks on two circular needles,I mastered the moebius twist from Cat Bordhi,I did hand warmers,leg warmers scarves and bolero sweaters.I would love to knit the fearless sweater that fits even if I gain weight by the time its done. Cute idea
SueD@4 wrote
on Jan 5, 2008 4:37 PM
To Sheri F., the simplest way is to check your gauge, then figure out what chest measurement that number of stitches will make. Take a tape measure and try it around yourself. For best fit of most sweaters, I add 4-5 inches for ease. Same is true for length. Measure the length of a sweater you own that you like, and add or subtract inches accordingly.
Trust you gauge! and good luck.
SueD@4 wrote
on Jan 5, 2008 4:31 PM
I am so impressed by today's young, fearless knitters. I learned when I was about 6 (now 63) and have always loved yarn in my hands, especially in the Fall. I find it so calming. Now I will undergo treatment for breast cancer; I will take inspiration from all the fearless knitting, and hope to be fearless myself.
JanO wrote
on Jan 5, 2008 4:16 PM
Talk about knitting fearlessly!!! I've decided to make the lace dress that appeared on the cover of Vogue Knitting's Spring 2007 issue. I am making it out of hemp I ordered from elann.com. If I finish it in time, I will be wearing it to my son's wedding in San Fransisco this summer. In the meantime, I am sewing the bride's gown. I've decided not to even LOOK at any knitting patterns until my dress is done! :)
SarahG@4 wrote
on Jan 5, 2008 3:41 PM
I plan to knit fearlessly and make my first cabled sweater this new year.
chrisnash wrote
on Jan 5, 2008 3:38 PM
Happy New Year to all the knitters out there! I am really looking forward to getting my first issue shortly. I hope that by the time I get it I will have finished my latest project - a fairisle waistcoat for my eldest son. It's looking pretty good already. All the best from the UK
KatherineS@2 wrote
on Jan 5, 2008 2:28 PM
My fearless knitting includes teaching myself at 15 and jumping from scareves to a Helment linear...then having to reteach myself becuz my knit stich was a little off lol. Then at 16 teaching a school club how to knit. I hope this year I can keep expanding and get a sock down!
BelindaT wrote
on Jan 5, 2008 1:36 PM
Fearless knitting for me includes making the annetrelac socks and they are looking just like the picture!Thank you so much for the fun , informative and uplifting website. My word for this year is gratitude and I am now adding fearless to it, hence fearless gratitude. Many blessings, Belinda
ElaineS@2 wrote
on Jan 5, 2008 10:37 AM
I tried to bring up your patterns, but with no success. I do have a MSN2. Is this the reason. I do get other patterns from the Internet.
Jody@2 wrote
on Jan 5, 2008 9:48 AM
I hope you have a great time at the hockey game Sandi. You might be surprised how much fun it is to watch those guys zip around on the ice! I am fearlessly knitting a modified hoodie pattern for my teenage son (he ASKED me to, and he was very specific about what he wanted, so how could I refuse?)
GillK wrote
on Jan 5, 2008 3:39 AM
Toe up socks have eluded me in 2007. I've made quite a few cuff downs but not succeeded in toe-ups. Loved the article by Ann Budd a couple of magazines ago but still can't get the hang of Eastern European cast ons ... all help greatly appreciated. Love from Gill, England
JennP wrote
on Jan 5, 2008 12:39 AM
I have never understood why one must fear anything but that we have not tried. I propose that each of us knits beyond what we think we are able. You'll love the results!
Nancyhay wrote
on Jan 4, 2008 10:58 PM
I love your fearless knitting post. In 2007 I picked up knitting after years of not, and made many things, including 3 Weasley Sweaters, from Charmed Knits, each using different techniques. Rock on!

Nancy
EllieR wrote
on Jan 4, 2008 10:42 PM
I wasn't a fearless knitter in 2007, as everything was from an easy pattern. But I knitted over 200 hats for chemotherapy patients, 10 baby blankets for babies in hosital (Project Linus), wo afghans and five shawls for friends, and 40 hats for the homeless.
In 2008 I'll continue the hats and blankets, but I want to try for two socks (a single sits alone in the frogged drawer), and I've already made my first cables - on a hat, of course!
Thanks, Sandi, for your confessions on knitting trial and error - you give me the confidence to try new patterns.
Sheri wrote
on Jan 4, 2008 10:19 PM
I resolve to be fearless and start a knitting blog. I resolve to stop discounting my knitting as not good enough, or not interesting enough to anyone other than myself! I resolve to perfect my continental and combination techniques, so I will not avoid purling at all costs! (It limits the possibilities too much) I resolve to knit in public more and be patient with all of the questions that result, who knows what friendships may arise from that small interaction...
TSmith wrote
on Jan 4, 2008 9:26 PM
Thank you for the darling button! It's the first button I've added to my blog.

And thank you Sandi for all your good works. You make us fearless.

Hockey tip: It is not mandatory to stand up when a fight breaks out.
AlisonM wrote
on Jan 4, 2008 9:16 PM
Given that KD purports to represent both knitters and crocheters ... how about a blog button for Fearless Crocheters?
NinaT wrote
on Jan 4, 2008 9:11 PM
Well, I guess I need to jump on the fearless bandwagon and knit one of the sweaters I've been wanting to do. I've learned socks, and I thought they would be hard, so a sweater has got to be easier. I'll just keep repeating that so I believe it. I went to my first hockey game when I was in high school, way back when. I still don't understand the game that well, but I like it. Have fun at the game. If I'd known earlier, I'd have tried to make it... I live in Colorado Springs. Go Avs.
SusanM wrote
on Jan 4, 2008 8:47 PM
YOU, Sandi, are the woman who makes us fearless!
TerriD wrote
on Jan 4, 2008 8:41 PM
Hockey Rules! At least after Knitting!
I'm happy to learn that hockey is taking after Major League Baseball's Stitch N' Pitch! Yeah! From a sometime St. Louis Blues fan.
SusanL@2 wrote
on Jan 4, 2008 7:11 PM
I wanted to add, as someone looking back from forty or so years of knitting, and who still makes mistakes, that knitting teaches you patience and humility. It takes a long time to be able to keep self-loathing under control while ripping out a big investment of time, and then calmly start again. Or to make yourself count the 350 stitches two by two over and over whether you feel like it or not. So many things we do in life and in knitting, seem to come to nothing, but what the little failures give me is the feeling that the key is the patience, and once I have it, I can try something countless times. There won't be a grade or a sneering authority figure, or any consequence, really. So give yourself permission to fail and try again.
TeriPinello wrote
on Jan 4, 2008 6:45 PM
blog button, heck that would make a great tee shirt or tote bag!
Repels-72356 wrote
on Jan 4, 2008 6:39 PM
Being technologically challenged, I have just today figured out where the Comments button went. I love the comments and when the button stopped showing up on my Knitting Daily e-mail I was UPSET! Now I am happy again since I figured out how to find it. I think you have a LOT of fearless knitters out there, Sandi, judging by the comments above. In 2007 I have made at least eight pairs of socks and three sweaters, numerous cotton-linen dishcloths (or facecloths, recipients choice), 15 OR 20 pieces for Warm Up America, and I can't remember what else. The best thing I have done is to get a small group of knitters meeting at my house every Monday night to knit and gab. What fun! Happy 2008--CH
SheriF wrote
on Jan 4, 2008 5:37 PM
I have only been knitting for about 1.5 years but am becoming extremely frustrated because some of the sweater patterns I knit do not fit. They are either too short, too long, too tight or too big. I am tempted to stop knitting any fitted garments. Can someone give me some inspiration? Thanks.
BEVS wrote
on Jan 4, 2008 5:27 PM
This is for all the knitters out there that are going to knit their first sweater. When I was taught to knit almost 40 years ago, the gal that taught me said that she would not teach me unless for my first project, I knit a sweater. Nervous to do that, you BET, but as she said, everything that you need to know to knit is in a sweater-casting on and off, increasing and decreasing, knit and purl stitch, etc. Once you make your first sweater, you'll try anything and be a real pro at almost everything. Happy knitting.
CathyAnn wrote
on Jan 4, 2008 5:18 PM
The Avs are playing the New York Islanders. Here's a few things you can say at the game to sound like you know what you're talking about:

--Too bad Ryan Smyth is going to be out eight weeks with that ankle fracture!
--Too bad Joe Sakic is going to be out eight weeks with that hernia!
--Hey, the Lake Erie Monsters finally managed to win a few! (the Monsters are the Avs new farm team, in Cleveland where I live)
--Thank God Chris Simon isn't here (one of the Islanders, suspended 25 games for doing something really stupid & dangerous)
--He put it in the five-hole! (to be used only if someone scores a goal with the puck going between the goalie's legs)

Good luck trying to knit & follow the game--I understand hockey and I haven't mastered knitting during a game yet. Whatever you do, have fun! Hockey is a great game.

C (a Detroit Red Wings fan, by the way)
LittleWit wrote
on Jan 4, 2008 5:07 PM
Thanks so much for plugging Sticks N' Stitches! I am organizing the one with the Columbus Blue Jackets. Folks can get order forms and copies of the flier at my blog: http://littlewit.wordpress.com/stick/
They can also contact me there or on Ravelry if they have questions.
Lilm4105 wrote
on Jan 4, 2008 5:04 PM
Regarding the email about the popularity of the Cobblestone Pullover, it may be because the Yarn Harlot made it recently and posted it on her blog. Just thought I'd let you know!
MarielleJ wrote
on Jan 4, 2008 5:01 PM
I would like to see the artwork for the blog buttons made into temporary tattoos that we could order and then wear!
MarilynM@2 wrote
on Jan 4, 2008 4:57 PM
After not knitting for about 10 years, I came back to it in 2006. I spent ages doing a cardigan I didn't like when it was finished but then I had a look round the websites and saw all those wonderful yarns, knitters, blogs etc. I'm now hooked and have knitted a couple of sweaters, designed and knitted some scarves, knitted a couple of lacy shawls, AND knitted my first socks this year. I think it's safe to say I'm addicted!!
BethW wrote
on Jan 4, 2008 4:54 PM
I started knitting 3 years ago when my toddler was 6 months old. My first project was a pair of striped pants made with kool-aid dyed wool (longies in the cloth diaper world). At the beginning of that project I didn't understand how to do stockinette stitch (much less what it was called!) so the cuffs are garter stitch. By the end of the project I frogged the top few inches and re-cast on and did a kitchener graft all the way around because I couldn't figure out how to bind off stretchy enough for the waistband! I guess you could say I've been fearless from the start (or just too dumb to know better?)!

In 2008 some of my fearless knitting hopes are to internalize a big repertoire of cast-on and bind-off techniques... always looking for more stretch, I guess. I'm also knitting my first adult sweater (a cabled hoodie for me) and my next pair of socks will be knit at the same time on 2 circulars, a new technique for me. I really try to learn something new with every project.

Enjoy your first NHL game. When I went to my first I didn't know that hockey had 3 periods. I'm glad I was with a girlfriend who was in the same boat!
JodiW wrote
on Jan 4, 2008 4:52 PM
Sandi - I too was inspired by all the fearless knitters. I have a tip for Kyira K. who wants to knit her first sweater this year. I have also been intimidated by sweaters but no more. Not since I started knitting sweaters for Guideposts Knit for Kids program (www.knitforkids.org). Since I don't have to worry about sizing, I can just concentrate on construction. Any time I want to make a sweater for myself or a loved one - - in other words, a sweater that fits - - I first make one up for a Kid. Since I don't have to worry about sizing, I can just concentrate on construction. That gives me the confidence to make the sweater up and pay attention to the fit. Also, I knit all my sweaters in the round either from top down (thanks to Barbara Walker) or bottom up (thanks to Jacqueline Fee and EZ). This way I can fit as I go and make adjustments as needed at the time. Hope this helps Kyira and anyone else who is intimidated by sweaters. Jodi W.
SandiS wrote
on Jan 4, 2008 4:45 PM
Please, please make the button available for thos of us who blog on Vox.com
BonnieR@2 wrote
on Jan 4, 2008 4:44 PM
Time for me to come clean. Since I started knitting around Thanksgiving 2006, I have knitted 13 Adult size sweaters (including pullovers, cardigans and the sweater vest from your Fall issue, I believe. That was my first try at colorwork). They range from very simple sweaters to sweaters with lace (Charm Wrap, Brushed lace cardi) to sweaters with cables (I am currently working on the Sweater Girl Pullover) to sweaters with cables and lace(dollar and half cardi, Katherine Hepburn cardi). I have two nearly finished sweaters that I am working on now. In addition, I have knitted 3 child size sweaters, 7 very nice scarfs (I won't count the garter scarfs that marked the start of my addiction), a couple tank-type tops, numerous hats and mittens, one bag, one complete pair of socks and two single socks :-) I was so relieved to learn that I am not the only one who has trouble knitting two socks! I guess you could call me a fearless knitter...and I am sure there are other things you could call me, too. Am I a knitting freak, I think one could argue that I am. As others have said, I sometimes start a project that is a little over my head and then seem to work through it when I get to the new part. I have found the website Knittinghelp.com to be invaluable! I have also greatly appreciated Knitting Daily both for the sense of community and for all the great suggestions. By the way, I bought the CP Hoodie from your online store so that one will be on the needles soon. Wow...I feel like I just went to confession. My goals for 2008: Entrelac and more color work...also learn to do socks on circular needles with the hope that I can knit more complete pairs!Thank you!
Michèle G wrote
on Jan 4, 2008 4:35 PM
Have fun at the Hockey game, I hope you won't end up like me at a Football game, where I am known to ask every two minutes: "OK now, who's got the ball and which way are they going?"
DonnaK@4 wrote
on Jan 4, 2008 4:24 PM
I just bought Veronik Avery's book Knitting Classic Style and in it she has a pattern for a hat called the "Montreal Tuque" inspired by Montreal Canadiens goalie Jacques "Jake the Snake" Plante who between hockey events knit hats, called "Tuques." Even hockey players knit!
Angie D wrote
on Jan 4, 2008 4:21 PM
Thanks for the inspiration Sandi and Korrie Beth. In December the man I was engaged to in 1980 (the love of my life) contacted me again. I think as well as knitting fearlessly this year I am going to try to love fearlessly. It's going to be scary but I know I can do it. Angie
csiknits wrote
on Jan 4, 2008 4:17 PM
Sticks n Stitches is SO much fun! I couldn't wait to buy the tickets this year - the whole family is going. Stitch n Pitch (Rockies) is great too! It will be great to meet you!
KayA wrote
on Jan 4, 2008 4:13 PM
Oh, dear. Hockey. Good thing you'll have the knitting to make it bearable. =D

A giant thanks for the blog button--it's fabulous!
Coley J wrote
on Jan 4, 2008 4:05 PM
That is awesome Anne B! Good luck and God bless.
AnneB wrote
on Jan 4, 2008 2:58 PM
I liked the idea of living fearlessly in 2008. To that end, in October 2008, I am giving a talk on knitting at a science fiction convention. I dislike/fear talking to a group of people. I'm working on some toy patterns that, with some tweaking, should make for interesting s/f themed projects. Also, there are quite a few 'goths' that attend this particular convention. So some projects from "AntiKraft" are also on the agenda. Wish me luck - and yes, I will send pictures.