More Yarn Spree Love: Our Second Prize Winner!

Jan 16, 2008

ou know, it's really fun to give yarn money to knitters. You are all so excited about the possibility of winning, and when the winners finally are announced, you are so delightful and celebrate right along with them. I get the feeling that if we were able to arrange a Knitting Daily field trip to help cheer on Gabriel, our third place winner, as he made those all-important spending decisions for his prize, then Dallas would suddenly be flooded with the Knitting Friends of Gabriel.

Second Prize Winner: Linda!

Linda wearing a shrug made from a vintage pattern

So, it's time to spread some more Knitting Daily love. Readers, I give you Linda, from Tuscon, Arizona, who now has a lovely $200 gift certificate that is hers, all hers, to spend at her local yarn shop. Linda sent in this little bio about herself to help us all live vicariously—er, uh, get to know her—a bit better.

Handwork and crafting have been my love as far back as I can recall. I remember learning sewing from my mother in 1st grade and embroidery when I was ten. I picked up crocheting at summer camp when I was thirteen and started making quilts when I was sixteen. My first college degree was in fiber arts, where I developed skills such as spinning, dyeing, weaving, basketry, and knitting. My grandmother was always knitting or crocheting; as the only one among her children or grandchildren that followed in these footsteps, I was given all her needles and patterns when she passed away. (A few years ago I found a shrug pattern dated 1953 in this collection, older than I am, yet very up to date. It was very fun to make!)

Knitting is my favorite way to "unwind" at the end of a busy, demanding day of work. There is just nothing like the feel of yarn slipping rhythmically through my fingers, stitch by stitch forming something beautiful and useful all at once. . . Sometimes I think it is my own soul I am knitting back together. . .

I am so excited about winning the Knitting Daily Yarn Spree! Visions of all sorts of amazing projects are dancing in my head, from a cabled cardigan (hmm, maybe a Central Park Hoodie?!) to a summery short sleeved cotton sweater. Not to mention new ideas I have for felted bags and flowers. . . This is going to be incredibly fun! I am deeply grateful to Sandi Wiseheart and everyone at Knitting Daily for this opportunity!!!

Linda's Local Yarn Shop

Kiwi Knitting Company

Linda's gift certificate entitles her to $200 worth of goodies from her local yarn shop, Kiwi Knitting Company, located close to the University of Arizona in Tucson's historic Sam Hughes Neighborhood. Customers come to Kiwi for more than its wide variety of beautiful yarns, books, and tools. Behind the doors of its 1930's home, they also find friendly faces, inspiration, expert teachers, project assistance, and a cozy, warm atmosphere. (Some also come to visit Rocky, owner Lynn's 10-yr old Airedale.) More than one customer has stopped in at the end of a hard day and left for home with peace in their heart. So, if you're in the neighborhood, stop by and give both Rocky, and the yarn, a few pats!

Congratulations and three cheers for Linda and for Kiwi Knitting Company!

Remember, inquiring minds here at Knitting Daily are anxiously awaiting photos of Linda's prize purchases. We're all going to be there with you in knitterly spirit, Ms. Linda.

And the First Prize Winner is...going to be announced on Friday. See you then!

Sandi Wiseheart is the editor of Knitting Daily.

What's on Sandi's needles? Last night, Cap'n Frog and I sat down with a cup of hot tea and frogged the Gathered Pullover back to before the boo-boos. And the Secret Knitting Daily project continueth...

Comments

DeirdreH wrote
on Feb 18, 2008 4:50 PM
OMG That shrug is amazing! Congratulations! And I too would be most grateful for the pattern! Please send to deehall@gmail.com
THANKS!
on Jan 25, 2008 8:17 AM
Congratulations! The shrug is lovely and I'm another knitter (from London, England) who'd love a copy of the pattern if you could share it. It looks so sleek and so comfy too.
GwenR wrote
on Jan 19, 2008 3:33 PM
I realy like your communications. I am a long time knitter, 25 years left handed then turned rt handed after many lessons. This is my story Gwen
LauraB wrote
on Jan 17, 2008 9:16 PM
CONGRATULATIONS LINDA! Whoo-hoo! The shrug is stunning. With all those crafting interests, I hope you don't go to crazy trying to make your decisions.

Leelo B.
HollyO wrote
on Jan 17, 2008 5:37 PM
Congrats!! I would also love the pattern for the vintage shrug...how fun!! So cute!
JoyceC@2 wrote
on Jan 17, 2008 12:55 PM
Linda, so nice to read your story. I learned knitting from one Grandmom and crochet from the other. Both are now gone but I think of them every time I pick up a needle(s). I, too, work in the corporate world so at the end of a day there's always my retreat -- the project at hand. My sister, Lisa, introduced me to this site and I'm loving every minute shared with Sandi and the Knitting Daily crowd. Eveyone keep up the good work!
BeverlyR wrote
on Jan 17, 2008 12:51 PM
Uh OH! It appears that in entering this contest, one was supposed to include a short biography...drats! Underacheiver that I am, I supplied only the minimal requirements... ((this is me pouting)).
SusanC wrote
on Jan 17, 2008 11:07 AM
Sandi - When you frog back the Gathered pullover do you remove the needles, pull back and then go around and pick up all the stitches? That must be difficult around the cable part. I'm intimidated by the thought of large-scale frogging, it's holding me back! :)
CristieG wrote
on Jan 17, 2008 9:57 AM
Congratulations to Linda! I wonder if she'd care to share the adorable vintage shrug pattern with the rest of us?
SharonV wrote
on Jan 17, 2008 9:35 AM
Linda, I couldn't be happier for you unless I had won! You obviously have a sense of style and tradition and your shopping spree will contribute nicely to letting you keep up the good work. Enjoy your winnings!
EUNICEJ wrote
on Jan 17, 2008 8:37 AM
hi,
I have seen the shrug submitted by the 2nd place winner. It is so cute!! Is the pattern available? Please send to Laughingmatters@yahoo.com
JanetJ wrote
on Jan 17, 2008 8:32 AM
Congratulations Linda! Enjoy that $200. I'm sure it will be put to good use! KIWI sounds like my LYS. A nice place to go and just "unwind" with friends. I hope you will be able to share the pattern for your shrug. Vintage? It looks like several "new" patterns I saw last year. That is fashion for you!
DeborahA@2 wrote
on Jan 17, 2008 7:49 AM
What a treat to read about knitters who live and breathe for knitting like I do. Not only am I fortunate enough to knit, but last November, my husband and I opened up a knitting shop in our home! We hoped to fill up our empty nest as all five children have grown up and moved away. We've called our shop "Knitting Up a Storm Yarn Shop" and we live in northern Maine where snowstorms abound. My husband is an avid knitter and is learning to spin as well. There's nothing better than waking up every morning and walking downstairs into our living room/yarn shop!
MichelleM@3 wrote
on Jan 17, 2008 7:41 AM
OK, I hate that I'm using my first-ever post for this, but as former Tucsonan ( I grew up there) - I have to officially point out that it's TuCSon, not TuSCon. I'm sorry, but they'll revoke my membership if I don't. That said, congratulations Linday, and Sandy, I so look forward to seeing your Knitting Daily posts in my mailbox.
BethW@2 wrote
on Jan 17, 2008 7:23 AM
Way to go, Linda!

You reminded me of 1 trip I took to Tuscon in the wintertime in about 1988. Can I trip become vintage, also? LOL

Would love the pattern, also--and any other vintage patterns from your grandmother. What a legacy!

Enjoy shopping!
Nvhilde wrote
on Jan 16, 2008 9:36 PM
That shrug is cute! And it looks like the closure would be a great way to use some of the pretty ribbons available. Share please? And congratulations!
SandraK wrote
on Jan 16, 2008 7:21 PM
WOW! Congratulations Linda! I love that Vintage 1953 Shrug on Tucson Linda your second winner! Now I really have to ask Ladies and Gems, if that poattern is a Vintage what does that make of we who are older than that and still own patterns like that?? Oh it's also not true we do not live in igloo here!! Cheers Saskatchewan Sandra
patrysia_520 wrote
on Jan 16, 2008 5:44 PM
OMG, so close, but yet so far! LOL I'm also in Tucson and am delighted that a local gal won, and that she gets to spend it at Kiwi. Then go for a lovely cup of tea at Seven Cups to recuperate! Congratulations!
Kimberly wrote
on Jan 16, 2008 5:43 PM
Linda, Congratulations on 2nd prize!
The little number you are wearing is great! Is it a pattern you would share with the rest of us?
Kim, Ontario Jan 16/08
Bsproat wrote
on Jan 16, 2008 5:43 PM
Congratulations, Linda! You write beautifully -- any chance you have a blog??
KeturahY wrote
on Jan 16, 2008 5:24 PM
Congratulations, Linda! I'm so happy for you.

I too would be grateful if you would share the shrug pattern with us! (Pretty please with yummy yarn on top?) I love knitting items from vintage patterns.

Have a wonderful time with your new yarn!
WendyL wrote
on Jan 16, 2008 5:01 PM
Congratulations, Linda! I too enjoyed your mind-candy phrases, as well as the photo of your lovely shrug. I'm probably not the only one who would be grateful if you could share the pattern? Enjoy that $200--I'm sure it will be put to good use!
KathyF@2 wrote
on Jan 16, 2008 1:33 PM
what a lovely way to express the feeling of yarn slipping through the fingers. 'Knitting the soul together' is a 'keeper' phrase.
Congratulations on being a winner.
Kathy