A Delighted--and Delightful!--Grand Prize Winner

Jan 18, 2008

Just look at this wonderful photo:

That adorable, delighted face on the right belongs to Judy, our Knitting Daily Yarn Spree First Prize Winner. The lovely smile on the left belongs to Caryn, the manager of The Whole Nine Yarns, Judy's local yarn shop. I believe that bit of paper being clutched to in Judy's left hand is her winning gift certificate. (Caryn, let us know if you need us to print you a replacement certificate, as it looks like Judy might not want to let that one go.)

Judy, your joy at winning has captured our hearts here in the Knitting Daily offices. We are all so happy for you, and we send you our warmest congratulations on being our top prize winner!

Judy's Local Yarn Shop

The Whole Nine Yarns, owned by Debi Light, is located in Woodstock, Georgia, 30 miles north of Atlanta. They offer a large variety of the most luxurious and new yarns, accessories and fibers for knitters, crocheters, spinners and rug hookers. The shop provides an inviting and cheerful atmosphere where novice and master knitter alike are welcome and encouraged in their craft. Everyone there is always looking for new inspiration and fresh ideas, so you’ll find a great assortment of classes offered each month in everything from learn to knit to garment creation to fun accessories.
New technique classes are always a hit with their customers. Tuesdays are busy days at The Whole Nine Yarns with the Sit & Stitch group in the morning and Knit Night later that evening. Their dear customer, Judy, the Knitting Daily Yarn Spree First Place Winner, is a regular member of the Sit & Stitch group.

Everyone raise their needles and hooks in a salute to Judy and the good folks at The Whole Nine Yarns!

OK, Judy, Linda, and Gabriel: Time to get shopping! Have fun, and don't forget to send us a photo with your new stash enhancements.

Notes on The Ultimate Gift: Suggested Yarn Substitution

The Ultimate Gift sweater

Many of you have written to let us know that the yarn called for in The Ultimate Gift sweater is not easily obtainable. I wrote to the good folks at Tahki Stacy Charles, who make Filatura di Crosa Cashmere, and asked them if they could recommend a nice substitute yarn. Here is their kind and helpful reply:

If your readers are interested in making the sweater with the FDC Cashmere listed in the pattern, it is still available by special order. The yarn is not featured on our website, but we can provide pricing and order information by writing or calling the contact information given below.

If they would like to make the garment in a more cost-effective yarn, we suggest Filatura Di Crosa Zara (machine washable merino wool), which has a similar gauge and appearance. Zara is 137 yds per 50g ball and gauges 22 sts on #6 needles.

Tahki Stacy Charles Inc.
70-30 80th Street, Building 36
Ridgewood, NY 11385
718-326-3344

Thank you, Tahki folks! This info has been added to the pattern detail page.

Sandi Wiseheart is the editor of Knitting Daily.

What's on Sandi's needles? The Gathered Pullover, front cable nearly done. A very badly grafted hood on my husband's hoodie that might need some Knitting Daily magic. And the Secret Knitting Daily project continueth...

Comments

SelmaP wrote
on Jan 20, 2008 11:47 AM
Being an avid socknitter, it was great to see Judy's effort recognized and know she has a great LYS.
Socks are my favorite "take a long"
DeannaC wrote
on Jan 19, 2008 2:30 PM
hello
I am very new to knitting
barely know how if you know what I mean.
The website looks great!
Happy for the winner of the contest, would of been nice to shared in it, ha ha.Deanna
PamelaC wrote
on Jan 19, 2008 8:29 AM
I was so happy to see Judy get this!! The Whole Nine Yarns is a fabulous LYS with a helpful and friendly staff!
Way to go Judy!!!
Cinders wrote
on Jan 19, 2008 8:01 AM
congrats Judy. enjoy your winnings. Sandi did you print the reason why she won? I'm just curious to know what Judy wrote in the first instance.
Cinders wrote
on Jan 19, 2008 8:00 AM
MaryD wrote
on Jan 18, 2008 7:57 PM
I really appreciate being able to order patterns but I won't put my credit card info on the internet anymore (I had one stolen that way.) Any other options available??
mljan wrote
on Jan 18, 2008 7:57 PM
What a thrill for Judy, and how nice that she's a regular customer there.

Whenever there's a picture of a yarn shop, I spend minutes studying it (magnified), mentally shopping the yarn in the background to add to my virtual stash.
Repels-72356 wrote
on Jan 18, 2008 6:32 PM
I noticed her socks too because I have made many many socks in the past couple of years and wear them all the time. Congratulations Judy! and The Whole Nine Yarns is such a wonderful name for the shop. Wish I lived within a couple of thousand miles of it! CH
Bev wrote
on Jan 18, 2008 6:32 PM
Congratulations to all the winners, 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize!
I must note that even though they did open up the contest to Canadian residents, did any Canadians even come close to winning? Just a thought.
AmyH@3 wrote
on Jan 18, 2008 6:26 PM
Congratulations, Judy! Enjoy your shopping. I wondered how many others noticed her great socks!!! We need a closeup for surely! Always love to see what others have made.
knitquilter wrote
on Jan 18, 2008 6:00 PM
loved reading about the winners. but you didn't show what Judy made? Lida L.
WendyL wrote
on Jan 18, 2008 5:22 PM
Oh Judy, you lucky lady! I drove 8 hours to take spinning classes at The Whole Nine Yarns a couple months ago or so, and what a great store! Caryn and Debi are so nice and helpful too. If I was anywhere near Atlanta, TWNY would definitely be my favorite LYS. Enjoy that $300, Judy!
CindyS@3 wrote
on Jan 18, 2008 2:07 PM
Can we get a closeup on Judy's socks? LOL! Congratulations Judy!
sulitk wrote
on Jan 18, 2008 1:56 PM
Congrats Judy and I have to say although I don't live any where near The Whole Nine Yards, I have visited this wonderful Yarn shop several times now that I know that it is close to a good friend that I visit twice a year. Wonderful workers and a wonderful collection of sinful yarns that my LYS doesn't carry so they are a good complement for my stash. :)