Spring 2008 Knits Preview: Glam for Every Gal

Jan 29, 2008

It's an Interweave tradition: Whenever a new issue is ready, a few of us gather for what we fondly call "Story Time." Since there is usually only one "proof" copy, we pull our chairs close together around the lucky person holding the One Copy, who carefully, sloooowwwllly turns the pages and shows them around to a crowd as rapt as any listening to the adventures of The Velveteen Rabbit. For some of us, like me, this is our first peek at the new Interweave Knits; for others, who have worked on the magazine in bits and pieces, this is their chance to see the final, gorgeous product of all their hard work.

Hexacomb Cardigan

Today, it's your turn. The Spring 2008 Knits Preview is up, and so I invite you to pull the preview up in another window, and join me for a little walk through knitting wonderland.

There is absolutely nothing frumpy here in Spring Knits land. There is only pretty, pretty, and more pretty. Silhouettes are feminine (perhaps even a bit flirty!), and details add depth and glamour enough to delight a red-carpet hopeful.

In fact: Stop the presses! What a great idea. I'd LOVE to see some handknits on the red carpet at the Oscars this year! Anyone have Cate Blanchett's email addy?

I'm serious. Wouldn't Cate look stunning in the Slyph Cardigan or the Cobweb Lace Stole? And Ellen Page would look adorable in the Hexacomb Cardigan.

Laura Linney, the Printed Silk Cardigan was practically made for you.
Bleeding Heart Stole
Julie Christie could carry off the cover project, the Holly Jacket, and Marion Cotillard could waltz in wearing the Bleeding Hearts Stole over a slim, satiny black ballgown.

Chameleon Scarf

Ms. Ruby Dee could do the Mesh Gloves some serious justice, and Amy Ryan would look perfect in the Flutter Sleeve Cardi. Tilda Swinton, always a trendsetter, might try the Auburn Camp Shirt over a lace cami and silk pants. And for Saoirse Ronan, the 13-year-old nominee for Supporting Actress, well, there's A Good Stripe Dress that would be delightful on her small frame.

And I gotta say: I can see Johnny Depp jauntily wearing the Chameleon Scarf, I really, really can.

Shaping, stitching, yarn, and style, the designs in this issue are all stars. Wish upon one, and add some knitting magic to your own story.

Sandi Wiseheart is the editor of Knitting Daily.

What's on Sandi's needles? Shoulders of the Gathered Pullover, and the body of the Secret Project.

Comments

knittingbox wrote
on Feb 14, 2008 12:09 AM
Or should the credit on the more and better bonus photos go to Eunny?

[don't worry, I won't be this chatty every week]
knittingbox wrote
on Feb 14, 2008 12:08 AM
I enjoyed your commentary on the Spring issue. And the bonus photos are great. I've been very happy with them since your "new" IT person.
SueG wrote
on Feb 12, 2008 8:00 AM
I just received my issue by mail, THANKS so much! and as usual spent quite a bit of time devouring the articles, tips & patterns. Like many of your readers I am in the mid-50s crowd & find some of your styles more suited to the younger age group. But I also see inspiration from these designs that are very much adaptable to more mature tastes. What I'd like to see in IK is a tutorial showing the process of adding a sleeve to a vest or cap sleeved top, or changing a flared hip peblum to a sleeker below-the-waist area. It seems that many readers might make your sweaters if they were able to adapt them to THEIR body type/age based style. I plan on knitting one of your sweaters with the sleeve of another so suit ME - after all it's just a pattern, not a ready to wear garment that would need to be taken apart. This where are creative juices come in! Keep the galleries coming so we can preview the final results so there are a few less UFOs sittiing around collecting dust. And I'm sure the entire staff of IK doesn't find everything in each issue appealing, just as we readers can find fault occasionally. So keep inspiring us so we can keep knitting. THANKS.
KristiB wrote
on Feb 6, 2008 5:44 PM
I've been knitting for only a year and a half and I love your new IK Spring issue. Finally, there are fitted styles that appeal to my body size (35-28-37) frame. I'm sorry if the older readers do not like this issue and they prefer knitting for their grandchildren but I chose this magazine for its fashion forward style otherwise I would have purchase other magazines featuring children's wear and scarves. However, I would like to see more articles on altering/resizing an existing knitting pattern in the magazine. I have been trying to figure how to resize the "Rambling Rose" cardigan and enlarging Twinkle's patterns for those whose bust sizes aren't 28 inches.
KristiB wrote
on Feb 6, 2008 5:43 PM
JudiH wrote
on Feb 5, 2008 2:36 PM
Is this an issue of Interweave Knits or Knit Scene? Wasn't Kint Scene developed to feature more trendy, younger fashions?
lodigr wrote
on Feb 5, 2008 2:27 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only person wondering how a women who wears a D-cup would look in the Hexacomb Cardigan.

I appreciate that IK is trying new things but this issue will have to stay on the shelf.
CarolH@2 wrote
on Feb 4, 2008 5:24 PM
I hope that IK will see the need for Plus-size patterns and consider doing an issue, or a separate book, on that topic. I love your designs, but I wear a 2X. We haven't had anything new since "Big Girl Knits". I know that Eunny and IK could write a beautiful book that would REALLY sell.
MichelleH@2 wrote
on Feb 4, 2008 3:31 PM
Why is it that all the fashion forward patterns are for the itty bitty woman. Please share some fashion forward patterns for the Size 16 and up woman.
E.K wrote
on Feb 4, 2008 2:14 PM
I was thinking how I wished I could come across a nice skirt pattern, kind of classic but not frumpy, when I looked at this preview and was absolutely delighted by the Trumpet Skirt. Several of the cardigans are also very nice. One of the reasons I knit is that nice clothing is too expensive for me. I must be on the opposite style end from some other commenters, because I cannot pull off high-necked sweaters like the Dovetail Pullover, and it doesn't appeal to me. (I don't wear halter tops and camisoles in public, though.)

Also, I don't think that age has as much to do with the choices as some people think- classic, tailored patterns suit people of many ages. I'm really looking forward to this issue.
Lynn_d_2 wrote
on Feb 4, 2008 8:43 AM
The spring collection looks great on the TINY, TRENDY and TWENTY. The rest of us? Well, not so much. I LOVED the last two issues of IK - a little something for everyone. I'm bummed about this one - - hope it's not the trend for the future.
CaraS wrote
on Feb 4, 2008 8:19 AM
Overall, I'm happy with this issue, and this magazine. If I want choppy asymmetric designs, I go to Berocco. If I want bleeding edge fashion, I go to Vogue. If I want men's designs, I go to, um, hmmm...yeah...although, maybe there's a men's knitting magazine I'm not aware of?

Bottom line, everyone has their niche - and I like the classic lines of IK.

What I don't like is the 'size 8 model need not apply' look of the magazine. I don't think we need one design geared for size 1, another for size 20. If the average size of the IK reader is 10, can we have the designs modeled in a 10? That way we can see what the item would look like in a size closer to our own, rather than on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Thanks so much to Sandi and everyone else that has taken the extra step so we can have the gallery. The tips on where you'd alter, and how you'd go about it for each woman helps me when I need to make alterations for my own body type!
LouiseA wrote
on Feb 3, 2008 11:26 PM
I am also somewhat larger than the models, and rather older- I had almost decided to subscribe to IK (and I have almost every issue from the very first one), but am reconsidering. I think a magazine could cover a range of designs and body types.
LynnD2 wrote
on Feb 3, 2008 10:54 PM
I also think that the spring patterns would look silly on anyone who is not under 30 and tiny! Please don't forget the MAJORITY of us when selecting knitting patterns.
JaynaM wrote
on Feb 3, 2008 3:15 PM
I enjoy seeing the garments on different shaped body types, but what I'd really like to see is the larger sized garment on the larger sized body rather than the small model size on the larger body. Make sense?
Anonymous wrote
on Feb 3, 2008 12:51 PM
This issue doesn't do it for me, only the Aleita Shell or the Dovetail Pullover are possibles. I prefer more dramatic or modern styles. Seeing a variety of models of different ages and sizes would be nice
Marty R
ErikaS wrote
on Feb 3, 2008 6:55 AM
"weight is a choice"...!!! I'm sorry, it isn't for many of us. I found that comment quite rude, actually.

I think it is a great idea for more "normal-sized" models to appear in IK, but do keep some "Skinnie-minnies" because they often also find it hard to adapt clothes to their sizes. We should just accept that we are all different shapes and sizes, and appreciate that IK is trying to help us adapt and find clothing that flatters our uniqueness.
nuff said.
HotheadP wrote
on Feb 2, 2008 4:11 PM
This will be my 2nd year of subscribing to IK and I really enjoy looking and queuing many of the projects offered. I usually make the items for other folks. I don't have the skill or the time (I work full time and go to college full time) to alter patterns to fit me (I am a good size 18-20 bottom and have a 44F-44FF bust, depending on the bra). I use the experience of making the items to improve my knitting and crocheting.

Keep up the good work and thanks!
on Feb 2, 2008 1:47 PM
Goodness! So many comments, I couldn't read them all, and I'm sure you (Sandi et al. @ IK) don't need one more to read. However, I just want to voice another positive vote for the styles in the spring issue.

I say hooray for fitted pieces, I say hooray for pretty, I say hooray for youthful (but not trendy or trashy) looks. And I say all this as a 38-year-old woman who is by no means a fashionable dresser. Nor do I want to look like I'm in my twenties -- many of these styles are perfectly suited to a woman (who is well aware she is) approaching 40. I am also by not particularly slim, with a 36-38 D bust. I will, like most people, need to adjust these patterns to fit my body's oddities, but that's the nature of a fitted pattern, which I happen to prefer to boxy shapes that make me look like I have a bigger waist than I do. V-necks are flattering on bustier women, and a flared peplum can help hide a tummy or hips when placed correctly -- hooray for v-necks and peplums! Also, I think these styles will look good for more than one year's worth of wear -- a couple of them resemble sweaters I saw at Anthropologie a couple of years ago but without the flashiness that can make their clothes unwearable. (And, if a less expensive yarn is substituted, these come without the Anthropologie price tag.)

I appreciate the direction IK is taking (and has taken) by providing us with elegant patterns that don't scream fashion victim or soccer mom. Though we may be mothers, we don't need to hide our beauty nor disguise our so-called flaws to be as -- or more -- attractive as any young woman.

Susan
RobinH@2 wrote
on Feb 2, 2008 10:10 AM
wow - you asked for comments and you certainly got them! I am one of your older and larger subscribers, so I really appreciate the galleries. I really hope you'll put the Flutter Sleeve Cardi in, as I'd love to see how it works in the different sizes, and think about making it for myself. That's were sometimes older/larger models would be a help. AS for whether I'd wear various garments in various issues - definitely not always, but I've made some very well-received gifts for family members of items that I wouldn't/couldn't possibly wear myself, so it was still good. As 1 responder wrote, it's the craft that's the point, and I learn something from every issue. As for the cost of the yarns - well, yes, but yarn substitution really isn't that hard. People in your LYS should be able to help you with it.

Overall, your work is excellent, as is your responsiveness to comments and questions.

Robin
EirwenG wrote
on Feb 2, 2008 1:46 AM
Hi Sandy,
I didn't have time to comment on weds.I won't vote for todays vote, but thought you would like my comments now. The patterns are pretty, but I think that the comment on looking good on the slim girls is fair. I'm very full in the upstairs dept and being over 60, the tops of my arms arn't what they were,( think buffalo wings here)a lot of these patterns will look great on the younger, as well as slimmer girls, though some of the 3/4 sleeve cardi's are lovely.I wouldn't knit sleevless or cap sleeves for myself.Spare a thought in the pattern dept, for us getting oldies(25 mentally though). We want young looking patterns suitable for the vagaries of the physical bit of us getting older, and please can we see older models in the magazine not just the young ones? There's an awful lot of us, ahem,maturer ladies addicted to IK out here.
Best wishes
Eirwen

isese
KathyM@7 wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 9:21 PM
I have to agree with Pat K. I didn't see a single pattern that would be appropriate for the size that fits the majority of the people in your size survey. I'm also wondering... it might be worth and age survey. At 45, I don't want to go to work looking like I'm trying to be 20... some more mature and/or professional styles would be great!
LindaR@4 wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 9:15 PM
I'm 51,plus size,knit for myself, 1 mom, 4 sisters, 6 nieces, ranging in sizes from 2 to 26 and ages 76 to 9. I subscribe to 7 knitting mags and I like IK the best. I can find something for everyone, not in each issue of course. As far as the "girly-girl" look of the Spring issue, that is the fashion for the coming season. I was watching the Today show a few weeks ago and they were showing things along the same line. This is the direction the designers are going for Spring. I received two of my other mags this week, they are showing the same styles.
GinaY wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 8:57 PM
I absolutely love the Sylph Cardigan. I think my 18 yr old daughter would look great in it!
IrmaS wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 8:30 PM
The "Banded Peasant Blouse" is very pretty!!
CraigS wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 8:22 PM
Yet another issue with no men's patterns...that's why I cancelled my subscription.
KatalinW wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 8:05 PM
I am a 53-year-old mother of four, and I LIKE the sweaters in the preview. I usually modify patterns to be knit in one piece (top down, if possible) as described in Barbara Walker's "Knitting from the Top." That way, I can try on the garment as I knit. If I don't like the way a neckline or sleeve looks, I can easily unravel a few inches and reknit something that looks better. This is why I wish more of your patterns were top-down, knit in the round. (Why in the world do knitwear designers design sweaters in pieces that have to be sewn together? The beauty of knitting is that you can make three-dimensional garments that pour themselves over the body for a perfect fit!)
Anyway, I like more shaping in garments. I agree that baggy, shapeless sweaters rarely look good on anyone, and anyway, there are plenty of patterns like that available out there, if that's what you want. I have two college-age daughters who inspire me to try new looks. For example, I've become a real fan of empire-waist sweaters, which, incidentally, look great on larger women, given adequate ease in the bust.
Finally, I would like to vote in favor of pretty models. They needn't be skinny or young, but who wants to look at pictures of ordinary-looking women? Glamour is fun.
Carla.tr wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 7:05 PM
I LOVE the designs in this issue; it's the only IK issue in which I've been tempted to make almost everything in it. I guess there's no pleasing everyone, but I love that IK is being daring and creative with its patterns. Great job, and thanks for thinking of us with all those free projects!
PatriciaA wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 6:44 PM
Sadly, I have to agree with the posters who have voiced similar misgivings to my own about the latest issue. I don't see a single pattern in the upcoming issue that I would devote the time and money to knitting as is...or to re-working to be more flattering. Dorothy B said it best when she said that most of these sweaters would look "silly on most adults." I personally prefer the Classics, which look good on almost any body type...hey, if I'm going to use yarns that will last beyond the most current fashion fad(hopefully!), I want my sweater to still be stylish, too!
GayD wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 6:24 PM
I agree with the posters who would like to see more plus size models and patterns. I am so glad to see a skirt pattern. Would like to see more. Sandi, your writing is a joy. I look forward to knitting daily as much for your humorous writing as much as for knitting tips.

Gay
GayD wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 6:23 PM

Gay
Riverains wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 6:11 PM
I agree with Lisa K's comments. I too also find a lot of the recent IK patterns to fit into a certain style, which is very pretty and feminine. They are beautiful, but not things I would really make for myself, as I like more edgy/modern styles. I too would appreciate a variety of models in the issues, everything from petite to plus size, in ages from young to wise.
RosinaS wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 5:46 PM
I'm so annoyed that NONE of the models are shown in anything but the smaller sizes, even tho the size range has improved. You could knit it but you won't know if you want to spend that energy & cost on it. I'm so annoyed at that I won't subscribe now, and I won't say which ones you should choose to knit up to show on different people. Make visual info available for sizes other than the smallest listed, and NOT as a special project later. Rosina S.
LisaM wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 5:33 PM
I vote for plus size options!
Charrst wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 5:31 PM
All the projects are lovely, however since i am plus size - could you maybe do a special issue on plus size knits?? And please, nothing grandmomish (not that's there anything wrong with that)(smiles)
LisaB@6 wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 5:31 PM
Agree with Karen - if you don't have anything nice to say, constructive (not personally abusive) criticism is worthwhile, too! I won't read a board where everyone has to be complimentary or at least neutral - not-so-candid discussion can just be not-so-helpful.

I'd love to see more models over the age of 25, and I don't just mean seniors. Amen also to more "boring" size 10 & 12 models - overlooked middle siblings of the skinny girls on one side and BBW on the other.

Excited to see that this issue's pics look clear and well-lit. For online content, IK leaves other knitting mags in the DUST between all those various angle shots online, and the not-a-model galleries. I'm so much clearer on which garments might be for *me*.

If I had one complaint - and this is so hard to articulate or quantify - it would be that a lot of recent IK patterns are "safe" instead of playing to some of the unique things you can do with hand knitting. Guess I just don't want my 200 hour sweater to look too similar to something machine knit from Land's End or Anne Taylor. (Two brands I love, BTW, but that's not the point.)Don't know what to suggest here, but I would point maybe to Knitty.com as one sometimes good example of a source for unique, wearable designs that aren't all so extreme bleeding-edge fashionista as to leave those who aren't impossibly skinny, and/or very young, entirely out in the cold.
BlossomS wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 5:30 PM
Are there any other thin girls out there? I am sick and tired of all of the "plus-size" comments. Weight is a choice ladies. How about teaching us to size down the patterns as well as sizing them up. How about lengthening/shortening waists and sleeves. How about adding darts and tucks to make something more flattering.
DorothyB wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 5:19 PM
I was extremely disappointed in the projects for this issue. As far as I can tell, none of them would look flattering on anyone who is not only very thin but very, very young-as in elementary school for some of the garments. I was about to subscribe to your magazine, but now I doubt I will even buy this issue. I think these sweaters wold look absolutely silly on most adults of any size.
BethK wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 5:14 PM
I wouldn't make any of these garments. They're for skinny, young, fashionista-types. I long for the day when your magazine takes real women--and all ages--seriously.
RomyD wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 4:53 PM
I agree with the post on how the patterns look like variations on a similar theme. Unfortunately in my case, I'm not into the theme. Solid colors, buttons down the front and tailored lines, yeah, I get it already! I would only be interested in the lace stoles, personally. Oh well, the Autumn & Winter issues always appeal to me more anyway.
And for census purposes, since we all seem to be sharing this info, I'm late 30's and on the tall and slender side of things and have been a subscriber for many years.
Didn't any designers submit color work for this issue?
AnnetteB wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 4:49 PM
Ok, I'm a mom of 3 teenage boys and a 20 yr old daughter and I LOVE the new designs. I have actually been looking for a pattern similar to the Flutter Sleeve cardigan, since I've found that style to be slimming on me! My daughter and I both love the Printed Silk Cardigan, as well. She really liked the Aleitha shell, the Bleeding Heart Stole and the Auburn Camp Shirt! I've never made a sweater before, but this may be the year that I become "fearless" and give it a try! Thanks Sandi & IK!
MegV wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 4:43 PM
Too many cardigans!
MegV wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 4:43 PM
Too many cardigans!
KarenS@4 wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 4:29 PM
Is this not the comment section? Do we have to say only nice things? Do we not pay rather large sums of money and spend large amounts of time to make sweaters? I did not read any comments that called anyone names. It was just all honest feedback. So I say keep the honest feedback coming. You don't have to agree with it. I took a fitting class recently at my lys and found out a lot of interesting things. One piece of information was about how sweaters are designed for the models wearing them and so a lot of the proportions are not representative of most women. The teacher stressed how important it is to know your own measurements and be ready to make adjustments. She thought that most magazine patterns were good for inspiration only because they were so far off the mark for most women's bodies. It was in this class that I first even heard of the concept of ease. Glad to see it in the descriptions of some of the sweaters. Lastly, I am so grateful for the insights and information Sandi provides. I love knitting daily.
Brownsheep wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 3:51 PM
Pretty much everything has already been said. :) I think the survey idea is brilliant. As is the idea to show each pattern in a range of sizes from S to XL- assuming such samples are available. It would be really good to know what the majority of IK readership wants, and cater to that primarily.

I only like one or two things in this issue, but then again I am closer to age 40 than 20 and closer to size 10 than size 2.
JacquelynR wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 3:38 PM
I am by no means thin, but I love all of these patterns (except maybe the Katherine Vest)! Thank you, IK, for providing fashion forward patterns with more shaping and a tailored, yet flirty look. If you DO need to modify a pattern for your size, isn't that part of the fun of knitting? Shapeless, baggy sweaters make any body look bad, ladies. Thank you again, Sandi and the whole IK team!
Miss minerva wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 3:29 PM
i haven't checked in since i posted my comments the other day and i have to admit to being rather appalled at some of the ungracious comments to be found here. FIRST, let's thank Sandi and the IK staff for putting together the preview (i'm shopping for yarn already while frantically trying to get a cropped cardi off my needles!) and offer another giant 'gracias' for allowing us to vote for galleries of the favorites on those generous IK staff members willing to model for us.

as a gal with a non standard figure - big in the hips and bust, with a relatively slim waist - i have always known that in this commercial clothing market (and without the kind of fitting and tailoring that french women, and american men, for that matter, take for granted) it would be up to me to know how to get properly fitting garments. UNLIKE many of the other knitting magazines i read, IK has always been committed to giving their readers tips and tools to go "beyond the basics" (love that feature, gals! keep it coming!!) in practical, necessary skills. much as i love my vogue int'l subscription, i would trade every funky cable and bobble in my repertoire for the IK btb segments on increasing and decreasing, and the special section on thumb gussets for gloves; and rebecca barely makes concessions to its non-european readers. i've had issues of IK where my fingers didn't itch to make any of the garments, but i have never closed the cover on an issue without learning some new and important skill or technique. thanks so much to Sandi (especially) for taking the time to explain ease (after who knows how long i finally understand it clearly) and to provide so much information to help us all customize the garments for our own figures. Sure i have my gripes about particular issues, but i have always felt that the staff at IK and now KD are listening closely and working diligently to give us what we ask for. from the bulk of the comments to be found here, most of us recognize and appreciate those efforts.

cheers!
SharonV wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 3:28 PM
I saw the IK preview today and I was impressed! Can't wait to get my copy!

For the past several years I have been trying to gift handmade gifts for the holidays, and with this issue, I see at least 3 projects for family members and I have almost 11 months to make them!

Now if only some of those patterns called for some of the yarns in my stash, my life would be a dream ...
KatherineD wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 3:25 PM
WOW!!!! I will make almost all these patterns! I love that the trend is toward some shaping in sweaters. In the past few years I've avoided the "no shaping, no waist" type of sweater--no shaping just makes you look bigger. I get Vogue Knitting, too, which I like. But you consistently have more wearable sweaters. Many thanks!!!!!
MegE wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 3:14 PM
Oh dear, please forgive all the typos in my lengthy post!
MegE wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 3:12 PM
I wonder if there isn't a way for IK to occasionally (or more than occasionally) feature designs on both "average" sized models and plus-sized models. I'm average size, so I want to see what these sweaters will look like on me. I sympathize with plus or otherwise sized knitters who want to envision designs on their figures as well. However, as for the "younger" designs in this upcoming issue, well I'm thrilled! I've got several past issues of IK that I'm giving away because I didn't like one single patter for me or anyone in my life. Hey, that's just the way it is. So the spring issue more than makes up for those issues where not a single pattrn suits me. And I must say there have been a good number of models -- large, small, older, younger, male, female -- in many previous issues of IK. It's one of the thing that makes it stand head and shoulders above other knitting magazines. You really can't please everyone all the time, but I feel IK hasn't compromised it's standards in the entire time I've been reading it.
HattieH wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 2:46 PM
Wait! I retract my "stockinette snoozefest" comment. That was dumb of me. The stitches used in several of the projects look fun.
HattieH wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 2:35 PM
Is IK a fashion magazine or a knitting magazine? Must it be a question of "I'd like to knit that" vs. "I'd like to wear that"? IK is the BEST when it comes to melding those two desires. YET, I've never understood the use of spindly models (all knit mags do this) in the context of a craft that, ideally, lets us take ownership of our fashion choices and gives us options. In a parallel universe, say, if I had 32 inch bust, maybe I wouldn't feel a drive to improvise and knit my own clothes because I could buy whatever and it would look great. Being a size L/12 makes me sort of ambivilent about fashion, which makes me love knitting, which in turn lets me like fashion. As for resizing woes, I'm a nursing mother, my bust needs a GPS system to find it's way back--if it ever will-- plus I'm short waisted with really long arms, and I'm not a math wizard, but so far KNITTING STRETCHES! Yay. Nevertheless, more plus-sized models, more help to unravel the upsizing mystery, please. I'm glad I'm not alone in this and all the technical help from Knitting Daily is hugely appreciated. On the other hand, I'm a knitter. I like to ogle patterns that I won't knit or wear, just because the CRAFT is interesting to me and the patterns are beautiful (or sometimes not)--I can picture knitting it in my mind, I can see what makes the sweater tick, that's what's interesting. The Spring issue seems to feature variations on a lite-cardi theme--I'd probably add colorwork or something to liven them up--otherwise it looks like stockinette snoozefest. They're pretty--don't get me wrong--but with the Spring IK, "wear that" trumps "knit that."
HarmonyO wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 2:07 AM
I think the idea to survey who your customers REALLY are AND whom they knit for - age, sex, size - is a good approach. Are we 50+yrs and 16+ size 50% or more of your readership? Or are we just more vocal? Does there need to be another mag to address another demographic? Has there ever been a mag that EVEN ASKED it's customers what they think? I don't think so! So thank you Euny, Sandi, Ms Founder (sorry, forget her name), et al for funding Knitting Daily AND for listening to your customers! Nanette S, Eugene, Oregon
EllenD wrote
on Jan 31, 2008 4:12 PM
Ah, I see you got the word that Tilda's last name is Swinton and not Swanson.
EleanorM wrote
on Jan 31, 2008 2:03 PM
I checked out the Spring 2008 preview, and they say that the Ladylike gloves from Feb. 2007 is available free, however, the archive doesn't go back that far. Can you please make that pattern available? I would love to make those gloves. My daughter attends Cotillion and has to wear white gloves. The Ladylike gloves would be wonderful for her.
Thanks so much for your help!
Eleanor
JessicaG@2 wrote
on Jan 31, 2008 1:52 PM
I'm feeling a bit of love/hate right now. I LOVE all the items in the new issue and hate that it doesn't hit news stands until 2/19. Sigh...it gives me something to dream about over the next few weeks. As a younger knitter, I love that the garments are flirty and fun, which makes it perfect for spring. In the winter issue, I only found two items that I'd consider knitting. I'm very much anticipating the arrival of the spring IK. Thanks for the preview Sandi!
JulieE wrote
on Jan 31, 2008 1:27 PM
Great patterns! I think I will renew my subscription (I got lazy and didn't renew it last year). As for yarn substitutions, now is the time to remember to be a fearless knitter! I have never knit a pattern using the yarn it called for. Trust me, if I can do it, so can you!
GJabouri wrote
on Jan 31, 2008 12:27 PM
Hi all,

Again, I have to second Lisa's comments. While I appreciate the added info on ease on some of the garments, it would still be such a service to see them pictured on larger models. If you are not going to put these in the magazine, it would be nice to at least have a web address to a gallery of these garments shown on different-sized models. Even though this would still make me feel like a wallflower (God forbid a "glam" magazine should show bigger women models). It seems strange to me that a magazine would limit itself this way. After all, women of 14+ sizes are a very large (pun sort of intended) demographic group.
Leah wrote
on Jan 31, 2008 11:50 AM
LA-LA-LA-LOVE IT! The only negative thing I noticed is that many of the sweaters look like different versions of the same concept. However, it is a concept I adore. I might suggest that those concerned about the sizing wait to see the galleries. As so many of them have shown, the same sweater in the magazine looks great on IK staffers of all sorts of sizes. Perhaps your follow-up post could also include some brainstorming on how some of these patterns might be adjusted or altered simply by having buttons go all the way down the length of the placket, lengthening pattern repeats, etc. This might even be a great time to introduce the much anticipated bust-dart tutorial. Lastly, yarn. Folks, yarn substitution is not scary. It isn't going to break anyone's budget to swatch an economical yarn to get the same guage as the yarn called for in the pattern. It was a hard lesson to learn, but gauge swatching is your friend.
LisaB wrote
on Jan 31, 2008 10:52 AM
As one of the first "negative" commenters, I should expand on what I wanted to say.

While I like many of the patterns in this preview, and definitely will buy this issue to take a further look at those patterns, I can't help but feel frustrated at the lack of larger models, even after the many, many comments at KD asking for them.

Knitting a garment is not just a large investment of time and money, it's also a leap of faith: faith in the designer, faith in the technical editor, faith in my knitting abilities. Having an idea of what the finished garment looks like on a woman with a shape/build close to mine is a great, great help. Don't get me wrong, the galleries are FANTASTIC, it's just that because the sample garments are for slimmer women, they can't be pictured on women who look like me. If IK used a plus-size model every once in awhile, there could be a gallery showing how the garment fits on a variety of size-14 women.

Am I asking for the moon? Is there some reason that this can't be done? If designers are refusing to knit plus-size garments, or yarn companies are refusing to provide the amount of yarn necessary to knit a plus-sized garment, please let me know so I can adjust my buying habits accordingly.

Finally, I second Anne G above: The women in Big Girl Knits are gorgeous, and I'm sure Amy Swenson could hook you up with them.
AnneG wrote
on Jan 31, 2008 10:15 AM
Well, I have to say that my first thought was UGH. My second is that they're not breaking any new ground here and there is nothing in this issue that I would make. All of these designs would probably look great on Eunny Jang. Eunny, what about the rest of us?! Will you please feature some designs that would look good on normal size and plus size people and show them on real people rather than on size 2 broomsticks? If designs such as these are what you're planning to offer going forward, I am sorry to say that I'm very disinclined to renew my subscription.

I agree with the person who commented about the expensive yarns called for. There is a LOT of less expensive (less than $7/ball) yarn out there - Knitpicks, Cascade, Patons come to mind - so why not feature those yarns? I love Rowan's Kidsilk Haze but come on, at $10/ball a sweater's worth for me would be over $100. Not gonna happen unless I win the Powerball!

Here's an idea: Put together an issue of designs for normal and plus sizes using less expensive yarns, and show them on attractive models of different sizes. I would definitely buy that issue!

The models in Big Girl Knits are gorgeous. Why don't you book them?
AveryK wrote
on Jan 31, 2008 8:53 AM
I feel like Columbo coming back into the room and saying "one more thing":but I have one more posititve comment to make. I have a tall slender daughter who likes classic designs. The nice thing about this issue is that there are smaller sizes. She can wear a 32 or 34, but 36 is way too big. I will show her the pictures in the preview.

Kuaikuai
on Jan 31, 2008 8:48 AM
What a lovely issue! I have to say to all that complained, I am 53 and I see many lovely things to make in this issue.The Mirabella cardigan would look lovely on any shape, as would the Dovetail sweater, the lace stoles can be in any color and look good on ANYONE! The Twisted Tulip socks are a delight, and the Linen Trumpet Skirt would flatter any figure if you have the time to make such an ambitious project!Oh You of little faith, Sandi has shown you how differently things look, you've all admitted that the galleries changed your minds, grow up and learn to look for what is you in these projects!Mary L
JudiH wrote
on Jan 31, 2008 8:45 AM
Has IK ever done a survey of it's readers? What percentage of your readers are over 25, have gray hair or are plus size. How many of us would like to see patterns for husbands, sons and children? I am really pleased to see that we are not still looking at the same model featured in every issue and every book IK puts out but how about some older models and styles that might look good on others than just movie stars? Thanks Sandi for at least giving us a look at what knits look like on different shaped bodies.
Judi
AveryK wrote
on Jan 31, 2008 8:44 AM
I was one of the posters who had negative comments. As I admitted in my post, I was disgruntled not to get any hints about what to try with the Sophisticated Rustic Jacket. And then, when I looked at the yarns chosen, most of them are yarns that I have never seen at either of my two favorite LYS, that I am not familiar with, and that look like they will be expensive. So this got tacked onto my yarn substitution frustration, which got tacked on to yet another frustration. I would have loved to knit the Matador Pattern, the Fall 2006 issue of Knitscene from which it comes cannot be backordered, and it is not for sale at the IK store (hint hint). Whereas the Sophisticated Rustic Jacket is in Interweave knits Spring 2002 issue which is available for backorder, and in fact is in my hands at this minute.

So maybe Sandy's post caught me at the wrong time. Still, even if you throw out my post, I think the comments, negative and positive, are all valid. What they show is that the IK readers are a diverse group. If every issue tried to please everyone, the magazine would be bland and dull. But there are ways of meeting minds: more diverse models, or putting ONE classic design in a forward-looking issue, and putting ONE fashion-trend conscious pattern in a classic issue. And I agree wholeheartedly with the brave male poster who commented on the dearth of patterns for men. The Dovetail Pullover is the only sweater that is remotely unisex.

But I will end THIS post with a positive comment. I am starting a sock class next week, and I really do like the Twisted Tulip Socks. They are beautiful and the yarn looks yummy.
KatP wrote
on Jan 31, 2008 7:32 AM
As a plus size gal I looked at these patterns with the hopes that I could knit one or two of them up for myself. And I think I would look great in a couple of them. Each issue has patterns I dislike or wouldn't make for myself, it's a given - some I'll love some I'll not so I don't understand all the negativity posted. That said I seriously love that slouchy sweater that is a bonus web pattern. I will definitely put that in my que for knitting when it comes available. Can't wait for the magazine to arrive! Cause even if I don't knit ANY of the sweaters, I love to look and dream!
txkat
BeverlyB wrote
on Jan 31, 2008 6:41 AM
Sandi, there's some gorgy beaut stuff here. I'm looking forward to the magazine coming out here in the UK. Keep up the good work. Take care you
LindaR wrote
on Jan 31, 2008 6:30 AM
Your comments about these designs looking great on the stars is right on. Too right on. Most of them won't look all that great on the rest of us. This issue is definately geared towards the young and slim knitters out there. I'll look but won't knit any sweaters from this issue.
PaulineL wrote
on Jan 31, 2008 12:45 AM
I liked most of the garments/accessories and am looking forward to receiving the issue. Thanks for the comments on ease and the bonus photos. I think there were more bonus photos than in the past. Sudden thought - I don't know about the finances of photo shoots, but could you put photos of larger models wearing the sweaters in this section? I'd love to see that before going to the effort of buying lots of yarn and spending the extra hours knitting that big girls have to go through.
meezermeowmy wrote
on Jan 30, 2008 11:38 PM
I love that these patterns tell how much ease +/- is intended. What a boon!
RebeccaW@2 wrote
on Jan 30, 2008 11:30 PM
Most of the patterns in the spring 2008 issue are lovely and I can envision myself wearing some. I am 51 and do not think many of them are too "young" for me. I would just tweak sleeve fullness/length and perhaps more ease. Many of them do flatter plus sizes - I think - and maybe we should be more open to new fashions with some adaptation. Definitely looking forward to buying this magazine.
Comment by: Rebecca W | Jan 30/08
Liz wrote
on Jan 30, 2008 11:03 PM
Thank you for the wonderful preview and the work that has obviously gone into making these patterns more accessible to everyone. I found the initial tone of some of the comments to be harsher than I expected. Honestly, I feel that the patterns are great and while I myself am also not small (38-40D) I can see the cute details in these patterns and feel capable enough to tailor them for myself. (In particular I love the camp shirt pattern, silly as that might be for a woman in possession of my bosom.)

I guess what I'm saying is don't let the negativity get you down! Kudos on a fabu issue.
Elizabeth wrote
on Jan 30, 2008 10:49 PM
I liked Pam Allen's sweater the best. I probably would not make any of these items, though.......cannot picture my fiftysomething figure in most of them. Sigh.
ClaireM wrote
on Jan 30, 2008 10:34 PM
LOVELY - watching out for the mail. My daughter would look so cute in that stripy dress - already looking up the yarn.
Trixie wrote
on Jan 30, 2008 9:53 PM
I think there are some very lovely patterns in this issue. While I agree that it would be nice to see the finished product on models of various sizes, and a wider sizing range on the patterns, I don't look through all of the patterns exclusively for something for me. Very often I will see a pattern that would be perfect on a friend or family member. I think IK should continue to offer fashion-forward patterns, but keep its reader base in mind, too.
JenniferH wrote
on Jan 30, 2008 9:44 PM
One more thing, while I, too, am a larger woman, I must say I am appalled by the tone taken in today's posts.
Sandi, you have brought an immediacy to the patterns that we did not have prior to Knitting Daily. Thank you for your hard work. j
JenniferH wrote
on Jan 30, 2008 9:37 PM
Dear Sandi: I am delighted to see some shapely designs. As a larger woman, I definitely need to learn how to translate the pattern into something that will fit me, but I am so tired of feeling like I should just forget the clothes & wear the box.
There are some lovely items offered. Some are not to *my* taste, but they will appeal to another.
Thank you for bringing it to us. Definitely looking forward to having it in my hot little hands!
JewelieD wrote
on Jan 30, 2008 9:17 PM
Oh my goodness, that skirt is just lovely, and the hexacomb cardi, and the printed silk cardi and and and... oh my goodness! I can't WAIT for this to come out!
Katy@2 wrote
on Jan 30, 2008 9:03 PM
I'm rather saddened by some of these comments, especially as you (Sandi) are discussing something that YOU are obviously proud of and thrilled by. I think constructive suggestions are valuable and great, but I also think there are times when a "Not to my tastes this time around, but hey, good on you!" is perhaps the more gracious response. Just my $0.02.

As for me, I've got a mile-long queue of pretty sweaters that I want to knit, but I'm happy to add more! Thanks, especially, for the extra info on fit and ease.
GraceS wrote
on Jan 30, 2008 7:39 PM
This issue is wonderful! I love many of the patterns and can't wait to get started. Lots of variety, fashionable and non-frumpy sweaters. Gallery request: flutter sleeve, holly jacket, printed silk cardi and trumpet skirt.

Also, thank you very much for the added info on the ease.

Yes, adding models of larger sizes as well as offering patterns for women of all sizes would be great but I see that you guys are working on all these things and I feel that so much negativity in the comments are unfair and credit is not always given when they should. Not everyone can be pleased at all times and I see that you are working on changes (which can take time) so I say thank you.
Rhonda wrote
on Jan 30, 2008 7:36 PM
I'm in my mid-30s and by no means tiny (46" bust and I generally wear so-called plus-sized clothing) and this is the first time that I would say that I love most of the patterns and can hardly decide which one(s) to make! I can very easily imagine myself in most of them (of course with some adjusted sizing or the odd change to design features like length.) I think that it's the issue I will use the most. Also, I noticed that under project requirements, you are actually giving info regarding how much negative/positive ease to use -- this is so so helpful! I think further discussions of altering patterns will help the naysayers to come around. Keep up the great work at Interweave!
mljan wrote
on Jan 30, 2008 7:22 PM
I can understand that you want to attract the younger knitter, and there are some cute things for them. If I were in my twenties, I'd be happy. As a Southern Californian, I hope to find projects in the Spring and Summer issues to wear here all year. Maybe the Printed Silk Cardigan or the Holly Jacket could do for someone my age, but this style of hanging open over the tummy -- I dunno. You can only wear that if you have no stomach at all.
Let's hope there are some articles on technique that are interesting.
Anonymous wrote
on Jan 30, 2008 6:36 PM
I think the new issue is yummy... As far as plus sizes . It is time to give these woman a understanding of how to enlarge their patterns so the "fit" will be there. We all have "body issues" and it is our own responsablity to learn to make patterns fit. It would be nice for them to see how a full figure woman would look in some of these patterns. Love the "freebe" Rustic Jacket.. Going to make it in a funky color and and STRUT!!! Debra
YavannaR wrote
on Jan 30, 2008 6:31 PM
I still think all of the patterns are very lovely.

Honestly, as a younger knitter (I'm 27--not a child, but still younger) I like that these styles are fairly fashion forward. I'm a good average size, 38-30-39 (a modern size 8-10), with some curves of my own, but I still want pieces with good shaping. I like that many of the pieces have a very tailored look about them.
AveryK wrote
on Jan 30, 2008 6:15 PM
Well, I was hoping this post would come up with some yarn substitution suggestions for he Rustic Jacket. So maybe I just opened this preview in the wrong frame of mind. But I was really disappointed by the design theme -- too girly -- and fiber choices -- too much silk.

Luckily I treated myself to some back issues of IK last fall. If like me, you find this issue too full of ruffles and faddish detailing, try the Spring 2002 issue. Suggested substitutions for patterns:

Kennita Tully's "Cables and Tulips" instead of "Dovetail Pullover" because the cable pattern is more interesting.

"Linen Drape Shell" instead of "Frock Camisole" or "Drawstring Chemise" because it looks like you can actually wear a bra under it.

"Sophisticated Rustic Jacket" instead of "Holly Jacket" because (well, see Sandy's last post)

and in lieu of all the silk blends, "Opulent Evening Shell and Shawl" knit up with Muench Touch Me.

Sorry Sandy. I usually love IK and your posts, but this one was a real downer.

Kuaikuai
Kelle wrote
on Jan 30, 2008 5:36 PM
Thanks for the preview, as some of the patterns are very cute! However, I must echo the previous comments: thank you for the ease numbers, and please Please PLEASE more plus-size models and sizings. I may be in the majority here, but very few of these will fit my ample frame without modifications (nor can I visualize myself in them).
SherylT wrote
on Jan 30, 2008 5:28 PM
Spring IK has several lovely patterns. Would like to see the hexacomb ith looser sleeves. I agree with others I'd like to see more plus size patterns and modles.
sgt
EmilyM wrote
on Jan 30, 2008 5:06 PM
Thanks, Sandi!!! I love seeing these previews... they get me so excited to receive my issue in the mail... this issue looks GREAT! Many fun, spring-energy projects. Now if only the snow here would melt ... hmm...
TamiH wrote
on Jan 30, 2008 4:57 PM
I haven't yet branched out into a sweater for myself, but with this issue there's not much of a temptation either. Adding in the wish for plus sizing also.

Cate Blanchett while looking lovely in the Slyph Cardigan, would not be able to wear it until well after the Oscars. She's very much pregnant and wouldn't do the sweater justice.
Miss minerva wrote
on Jan 30, 2008 4:50 PM
eeek! aaack! when will my subscription copy land in my mailbox?!?!?!?! i can't wait to begin that holly (golightly?) jacket!

i second (or third, or...) the request for galleries of ik's bustier beauties in sweaters like the holly jacket, printed silk and hexacomb cardis.
on Jan 30, 2008 4:43 PM
Yes, the previews for the spring issue: they are very sweet. For cute little girls of an age I left long ago. Will this be issue for the year that I pass on to someone else after the first look see?
AnitaM wrote
on Jan 30, 2008 4:40 PM
I am sooo looking forward to getting this issue! I've been looking at cardis a lot lately - with it being Summer going into Autumn here in Australia - and I can see myself making several of these. My absolute favourite is the Sylph cardigan. I have a 40" bust, but I think it will look great, although I might make it a bit longer, seeing as I'll be wearing it into cooler weather. I'll definitely be making several others too. Especially the Bleeding Hearts Stole. My best friend just surprised me with some gorgeous plum laceweight - it will be perfect! Now for the long and painful wait until my issue actually arrives and I can get started! :)
JessiV wrote
on Jan 30, 2008 4:08 PM
it's tilda swinton, not swanson.
CharlotteW wrote
on Jan 30, 2008 4:05 PM
I like that you've added what the recommended ease is for each project, or what the ease is on the model. Thanks for adding this info.
SaraM wrote
on Jan 30, 2008 4:02 PM
I LOVE so many of the patterns available in this issue! I have to say it looks like it will be one of my favorite issues ever. I would like to see the sweaters on women with larger busts. I'm in the 38-40" bust range and am wondering how some of these will look on someone like me, with more than an A or B cup. I would so love to see as many of these as possible in a gallery of IK staff members in the near future. Thanks so much, IK, for bringing all these beautiful patterns to us! :o)
PatK wrote
on Jan 30, 2008 3:50 PM
On the bright side: It's nice to see this wide an array of shapes, silhouettes and detailing after what seem to be a couple of seasons of boxy, boxy, boxy. Several of these really are quite lovely.

On the not-so-bright side, I have a hard time imagining many of these patterns on anyone who doesn't share the, slim, girlish shapes of the models. Yes, the patterns go up to larger sizes, but we see no examples, and I have a hard time imagining most of those shapes on anyone with generous boobs, hips or belly. And the flirty/girly designs (most of these) would look downright silly on someone my age.

That's OK. I know a lot of young knitters complain, and justifiably, that some knitting publications are nothing but "granny sweaters."

But it would be nice to see more of a happy medium, both in terms of sizes and fashion sensibilities.
MichaelD wrote
on Jan 30, 2008 3:44 PM
I second Lisa B's comment about not being able to see herself in IK. I love the mag and will continue to subscribe, but I'm waiting for the day when we'll see more than 1 garment (hats, scarves, and mitts don't count) for boys and men. I mean, why can't it be "Glam for Every Guy" too?
AdrienneB wrote
on Jan 30, 2008 3:36 PM
Requests for galleries: Holly Jacket, Printed Silk Cardigan, Hexacomb Cardigan and the Banded Peasant Blouse. I really like the previews describing the amount of ease shown with each. And, I have not seen a dark picture yet.

Plus size models would be an enhancement.
AdrienneB wrote
on Jan 30, 2008 3:36 PM

Plus size models would be an enhancement.
LaurieR wrote
on Jan 30, 2008 3:04 PM
I would love to see more plus sized patterns and models in IK. I just bought my first subscription to it (and I haven't subscribed to any magazine in YEARS) and I really hope there are patterns that I would love to knit for me and I'd love to see how they'd fit on a body like mine. I'd love to make the trumpet skirt, but until I have knitting skills up to the task of increasing for where I am well-endowed, it isn't going to happen. Please, please PLEASE more plus sized patterns and models!
CharityR wrote
on Jan 30, 2008 2:59 PM
I am so excited to get this issue. More to the point to get my hands on the Holly Jacket!
Coley J wrote
on Jan 30, 2008 2:45 PM
OH MY GOODNESS! I love every single one of the patterns in the magazine. WOW...is all I can say. I am sooooooooooo excited!
GJabouri wrote
on Jan 30, 2008 1:16 PM
Hi all,

I know it's a matter of different tastes, but I was rather disappointed in the Spring IK. Excepting the Printed Silk Cardigan and the stoles, I did not like anything else. The Katherine vest looks particularly bad, even on the model. It's opening too wide across the breasts ... instead of having a slimming effect it would make anybody with anything more than an A cup look terrible.

I also have to second Lisa's comment: when will we see some plus-sized models??
Bonnie wrote
on Jan 30, 2008 1:10 PM
One tiny proofreading comment: The word "available" is spelled wrong on all the Staff Projects.
Bonnie wrote
on Jan 30, 2008 1:07 PM
About the Staff Projects: These used to be offered together in one PDF, which was very convenient. Now they are being "released" on different dates. Why is a heavy-looking hat made of wool and silk being released in mid-April, long past the time when most of us will want to knit a warm hat, but the lacey gloves pattern will be available in February? Maybe switch those dates?
Anonymous wrote
on Jan 30, 2008 12:33 PM
I love the patterns in the comming magazine. How about taking us through the steps to enlarge one pattern. Possibly the printed silk cardigan????
LisaB wrote
on Jan 30, 2008 12:22 PM
Not to be ungrateful, because many of these patterns are lovely, but... I see there's been absolutely no effort toward using any plus-size models. Will that ever happen, or should I assume that I will never see anyone who looks like me in IK?
SusanC@2 wrote
on Jan 30, 2008 12:17 PM
how lovely... Can't wait to get this issue, love the printed silk cardigan, and I'm not much of a sweater person, might have to actually make something for myself. Of course, that's after I get the other 3 projects finished =). Happy knitting to all.
RebeccaW wrote
on Jan 30, 2008 12:09 PM
I don't mean to be blunt (ok I do) but um... I would have been much more interested in an exploration of the yarns or techniques in this issue. I could care less about movie stars.
YavannaR wrote
on Jan 30, 2008 11:45 AM
ooh! Such pretties. Can't wait to see this one on the stands. My fingers are already itching to cast on even though I'm still working on winter projects :D