Vote For The Spring Gallery Garments!

Jan 31, 2008

You all left a very interesting set of comments on Wednesday's post announcing the Spring 2008 Knits Preview; I really appreciate all great (and varied!) feedback. For example: Pat K said: "I have a hard time imagining many of these patterns on anyone who doesn't share the, slim, girlish shapes of the models." Compare this to Rhonda's reaction: "I'm in my mid-30s and by no means tiny (I wear so-called plus-sized clothing) and this is the first time that I would say that I love most of the patterns and can hardly decide which one(s) to make!" Fascinating. So I guess the question on everyone's mind is: What do the Spring garments look like on women who are not professional models? You know what that means: It's time for another Knitting Daily Gallery!

For those of you new to Knitting Daily: Each time a new issue of Interweave Knits comes out, we choose a few of the garments from that issue and have several different women around the office try them on, so you can see how the sweaters look on people of varying shapes and sizes. We love doing these galleries, and from your comments and emails, we know that folks find them immensely helpful in terms of choosing what to knit—and how to knit it—for themselves.

Take a look at some of the previous galleries!

Usually, I decide which garments to feature, but given the passionate discussions going on about this issue, I thought it would be much better to have you folks choose which ones you'd like to see:

Which of the Spring 2008 garments would you like to have us feature in a Knitting Daily Gallery?

Take a minute to click on that link, and go vote for your top five choices! We'll collate the results by Feb. 8th, and the overall top five will be in our next Gallery.

As we have done before, we will also provide some customization and sizing tips for each of the featured garments. This time, we will be using the new sizing and ease information provided in Interweave Knits as a guide. We'll go through the sizing and ease information for each garment and give examples of what that means "in real life," with help from our wonderful in-house Gallery Gals.

Finally, I would like to quote Grace S, who said it so gracefully(!): "Not everyone can be pleased at all times and I see that you are working on changes (which can take time) so I say thank you."

Yes, change (like knitting) takes time. We are listening. We're lucky to have such passionate, involved readers, and we appreciate all the feedback that so heartfelt. Thank you for all your support for us here at Interweave, and for wanting the craft of knitting to be as vibrant and real as you yourselves are. —Sandi

Sophicated Rustic Jacket

About the Yarn Sub for the Sophicated Rustic Jacket

Several of you have asked why I did not recommend a specific yarn substitute for the discontinued Classic Elite Zelda used in the Sophicated Rustic Jacket. Here's why:

Zelda is a rather unique yarn: a wool/linen blend, thick-and-thin singles (unplied) yarn. "Thick-and-thin" means that in some parts, the yarn is a bulky weight, whereas in others it is closer to a worsted weight--this is why it is hard to give a specific yarn weight recommendation.

I contacted the yarn manufacturer to ask them for a recommendation, but alas, that particular company no longer makes anything like it, and they were unaware of any similar yarns now on the market. I, too, have had little success finding that unique combination of fiber blend, thick-and-thin, drape, and weight. It was a very unusual yarn.

Classic Elite Zelda: singles, 10 wpi

Yarns are designed by people, not by machines; thus, yarns are often as unique as the yarn designers who create them. It’s sad when a truly special yarn is no longer available, but it also gives all of us a chance to explore/learn/create, using the original yarn and pattern as inspiration.

Another idea: Look for a handspun yarn, as making a thick-and-thin singles yarn is a specialty of many handspinners. There are many handspun vendors on sites such as Etsy.com.

Sandi Wiseheart is the editor of Knitting Daily.

What's on Sandi's needles? Shoulders of the Gathered Pullover, and 7" of the body of the Secret Project.

Comments

BonniR wrote
on Feb 18, 2008 11:05 PM
Dear 'British' Kate,
Thank you!
We women in the states tend to think in terms of numbers far too much. I am a size 16 bust, a 12 waist and a 14 hip, and a hot 50 years young. I am so trired of hearing women in the 40+ age range who are looking for "mature" fashions. My mother-in-law just turned 80 and there are plenty of mature fashions for her to wear. As long as she (and women in her age bracket)are keeping those manufacturers in business, I will feel comfortable wearing the "young" fashions I love. My husband would drop dead from shock and disapointment if he came home one day to find me wearing something more appropriate to his mother; and quite frankly I would have to hang head in shame if I left the house in the boxy, unatractive, shapeless garments made for "women of a certain age."
As for women who don't want to expose certain parts of their bodies, how about wearing a lovely T (silk maybe?) underneath? And, who are we kidding? Wearing those baggy shapes doesn't conceal a thing; it only draws attention to our figure 'flaws' (AKA humanity.) No, it is not necessary to wear immodest or constricting garments, but take pride in who YOU are, and let your fashion sense show it.
And Kate, if you are ever in the states, look me up, we can go shopping together!
Bonni
BonniR wrote
on Feb 18, 2008 10:33 PM
I was not at all disapointed to discover that Zelda was discontinued. I found great substitutes at elann DOT com, and was especially pleased with the "Linus," the "Pamir," and though it doesn't have the same super-textury effect that Zelda does, the "Tweedy Silk" does yield a great nubbly fabric that is necessary to make the basic shape of this jacket "pop." The color selection was more than I could have hoped for in these yarns, and I can knit 3 of the jackets for the same price I could have done 1 in the Zelda. (And, no, I don't work for elann, but I couldn't knit nearly as much as I do, or in the quality yarn that I love to work with without their prices.)
JudyM@5 wrote
on Feb 15, 2008 9:24 PM
Would Lion Brand Lion Boucle or Bernat Tweedsome yarn work for the Sophisticated Rustic Jacket?
Judy
Ladyjet wrote
on Feb 13, 2008 12:57 PM
I'd like you to feature the Printed Silk Cardigan. It's an elegant sweater and has a neckline that will enhance most women/girl's necks/shoulders. This is the first time I've commented though I enjoy your Daily Knitting ezine very much. Thanks for your writing. Sandy, you do a darn good job!!! Thanks again.
SueG wrote
on Feb 8, 2008 6:50 AM
I just received my issue by mail, THANKS so much! and as usual spent quite a bit of time devouring the articles, tips & patterns. Like many of your readers I am in the mid-50s crowd & find some of your styles more suited to the younger age group. But I also see inspiration from these designs that are very much adaptable to more mature tastes. What I'd like to see in IK is a tutorial showing the process of adding a sleeve to a vest or cap sleeved top, or changing a flared hip peblum to a sleeker below-the-waist area. It seems that many readers might make your sweaters if they were able to adapt them to THEIR body type/age based style. I plan on knitting one of your sweaters with the sleeve of another so suit ME - after all it's just a pattern, not a ready to wear garment that would need to be taken apart. This where are creative juices come in! Keep the galleries coming so we can preview the final results so there are a few less UFOs sitiing around collecting dust.
KristiB wrote
on Feb 7, 2008 4:13 PM
Finally, IK is putting out more tailored/fitted styles. I love this issue and have recently started knitting since I picked up the magazine two years ago. Although, I don't have a problem finding my size (small-frame 35-28-37) in IK with the exception of a few patterns that only feature two sizes or like the Twinkles' patterns, I would like to see articles that show us how to resize or alter existing patterns. Furthermore, I don't knit for others but for myself and I like IK the way it is. There are many magazines out there that feature children's patterns, home dec., and boxy styles for mature women. IK should continue to be different from the rest and stay fashion forward.
HeatherN wrote
on Feb 7, 2008 2:59 PM
Reading the comments on this post I see a lot of people saying that while they think the patterns are pretty they wouldn't knit any of them for themselves because it seems as though the patterns would only look good on skinny women with smaller breasts. I disagree completely!

Looking at the preview of this coming issue I am excited because to me this looks like a bunch of patterns that would look absolutely fantastic on super curvy ladies like myself!

Yeah all of the models are thin, straight lines, but isn't that always the case? I was under the impression that the whole point of the galleries was to show off the patterns on women of different shapes and sizes, to illustrate how they look with different amounts of ease. With all of the galleries presented in the past people have constantly been amazed at how good the patterns have looked with a good amount of negative ease, i.e., not on stick thin models.

Because of these things, and the fact that you are doing galleries, I think it is absolutely ridiculous for people to immediately jump to the conclusion that none of these patterns are going to look good on women with curves!
Chandra wrote
on Feb 6, 2008 5:32 PM
There are plenty of magazine that feature dowdy, frumpy patterns (I live in the UK and every magazine published here comes to mind).

Please don't change IK. Some of us, no matter our ages and body shapes, have an interest in sophisticated yet classic fashion, and IK is the only magazine I've found that fills that niche.
LyndaH wrote
on Feb 6, 2008 12:22 AM
I just looked at the items for the gallery voting. I have to agree with a lot of the comments here...the garments tend to be geared toward the younger crowd and not for those over 40. I like some of the styles, just not for me. I voted for 5, but will probably only knit maybe one of them. Can you up the age and size range on the garments?
SallyH@2 wrote
on Feb 5, 2008 11:51 AM
Please don't feature a pattern when the yarn recommended is no longer available or a substitute cannot be found. I really loved the pattern in this mailing, but won't try it if the yarn can't be found for it.

I really enjoy your knitting daily report. Thanks!
LeslieR wrote
on Feb 5, 2008 7:25 AM
I have to vouch for IK. It is a great magazine for people who want to learn more about knitting. The sweaters always feature interesting construction techniques and stitch details and they're designed by the best knitters in the business. I haven't seen the Spring issue yet, but I hope it hasn't veered that far from the IK tradition.
As far as camisoles, etc. Yes, I'm getting past the age where maybe I shouldn't wear them any more. But the lace is great fun to knit and there's much less knitting than a traditional front, back, two sleeves sweater. I tend to actually get them finished.
As far as being too fashion-oriented, there are other knitting magazines out there -- at least one that was once a long-time beloved favorite -- that I don't read any more because it's too much fashion and not enough knitting. IK is far and away better. No comparison.
SueK@2 wrote
on Feb 4, 2008 8:22 PM
I don't think the problem is a matter of age as much as what you want to expose. I'm 55 and a size 16 (and have always been, even in my 20s), and I like many of the patterns, but I don't want to expose my flabby upper arms, my drooping midriff and my more than ample formerly pregnant belly. But when I was in my 20s I also didn't want to expose some body features. I still like the designs, though, so defining "young" and "mature" patterns is somewhat bewildering to me. I'd be willing to bet there are still plenty of designs that could appeal to all knitters, we just need a balance of designs. Oh, and about the kid patterns, one feature per issue wouldn't detract from IKs reputation of being a sophisticated knitting mag, now would it? I think IK has to try to appeal to everyone a little bit.
JuneM wrote
on Feb 4, 2008 5:46 PM
I'm 52, not thin nor particularly shapely. I love most of these patterns and plan to knit several of them. Such a wonderful departure from the frumpy, utilitarian garments that many associate with hand knits.
I love IK's direction.
Anonymous wrote
on Feb 4, 2008 4:07 PM
Dear Sandi, I think that all of the sweaters are very nice for a younger girl as indicated by very low necks, camisole tops etc. But what about the older women knitters who just don't won't to dress like the young girls for obvious reasons. Will there ever be an issue with anything for us
DavidA wrote
on Feb 4, 2008 11:59 AM
As always, I have to wonder where are the knits for men, if there are any at all?
SueP wrote
on Feb 4, 2008 10:54 AM
I have to agree with the comments that not much of this stuff would look good on a normal woman!
JenniferG wrote
on Feb 4, 2008 10:01 AM
Thank you so much for the photos of the gals in the different projects. I only recently joined Knitting Daily but have found it such a valuable resource that I am on the site almost every day now. I quickly picked my doppelganger and scrolled through the photos to find out what the projects look like on her so I will know if I want to knit it or not. I've had a few surprises - sweaters I thought would look nice on me but didn't look so nice on my twin and some that I didn't think would look good on me looked fabulous on her! In fact, I just bought yarn to make the Citrus pullover but after seeing it on my look-a-like, I realized I would be disappointed with the not very flattering effect the yoke has on a tall, thin body. I might make it for my petite & curvy sister-in-law though!
TamaraK wrote
on Feb 4, 2008 9:58 AM
On yarn substitutions for the Sophisticated Rustic Jacket...I'm using some Auracania Magallanes that's been sitting in my stash waiting for the perfect project. It is a handpainted thick & thin and I reproduced the gauge for the jacket with it on the first try! (must be a sign...) It's 100% wool so it probably won't drape just like the wool/linen blend used in the original, but so far it's knitting up very nicely. Unfortunately, it has also been discontinued but is still available from some retailers online. I'm using Katia Ingenua mohair for the ruffled borders. Will try to post a picture when it's all done!
Grafikat wrote
on Feb 4, 2008 9:17 AM
Comment originally written by : Matthew P | February 1, 2008. Edited by KPullen on Feb 4 to fix long url:

I am trying to find substitute yarns for the Sophisticated Rustic Jacket, and I found this on eBay.

Shahrazade on this website may work too:
SherriM wrote
on Feb 3, 2008 7:39 PM
I am a 40+ knitter with 3 kids and a 36D bust and I loved the Spring Preview ! I am already planning on making the Printed Silk Cardigan and the Sylph Cardigan. I will already be adding length to the Sylph cardigan to make it a bit more "me". I am not a stick but I have learned to choose styles that I really like and adapt them to my shape. I dont have any interest in knitting a box just to cover myself up. If I am going to spend my time and my money making a garment, it has to be something that I really like, is versatile, and will remain in style for more than 5 minutes.
I will never like every pattern in any magazine and sometimes there may not be anything for me, but thats ok. I still will enjoy the magazine and will continue to buy it. I have bought every knitting mag out there and I like yours the best !
Thank you for providing all your wonderful patterns and for taking the time to even ask what we are interested in. The galleries are great ! I love seeing what other people do with the patterns. Perhaps you can offer an article on helping people with pattern modification? Keep up the great work !
Sherri M
SandraC wrote
on Feb 3, 2008 6:15 PM
As a childfree 30-year-old, I would like to add to the chorus of people begging you not to include children/baby patterns in your magazine. The reason I love IK is because it has fashionable patterns for adult women. It's frustrating to look at knitting magazines and know that I will not make half the patterns in them because they are for children.

As a size 16 woman with an hourglass figure, I have found that fitted tops with waist shaping are far more flattering then loose, boxy styles.
AliciaM wrote
on Feb 3, 2008 5:54 PM
I don't expect every pattern to be just what I want. After all, there is a wide audience for the magazine. Your designs are always fun and inspiring. A few baby, kids, boxy, tight, short, long, etc. patterns help me see different styles and always give ideas. Keep up the good work!
KateL wrote
on Feb 3, 2008 2:58 PM
Hi! I'm British, but living in France, where the attitude towards what is appropriate for 'more mature' women (and at nearly 44 I'm getting there!)is very different to, say, Britain. Embellishments and frills here know no age limit - maybe we should take a leaf out of their books - what do you think, gals? Kate
Kelly@3 wrote
on Feb 3, 2008 1:25 PM
I for one am very happy with the fitted, and nicely detailed patterns that I've seen in the last few issues of Interweave Knits. If I wanted boxy patterns with more "mature" styling, or a lot of baby and toddler patterns, it seems to me that there are many other publications including books, magazines, and websites that I could turn to. I subscribe to IK because it presents the kind of patterns that I want to knit.

I wish more people could be fearless knitters by trying something a little more tailored and being empowered, instead of needing to cover up their curves with slouchy, bulky knits. If anything, I would like to see more patterns in DK and sport weights - that's my preferred method of preventing a bulky silhouette.
on Feb 3, 2008 1:14 PM
I must agree with Pat K - I really don't think that most of these styles would look well on curvy-to-plus-size women even if they were knit to fit. They're very beautiful patterns, but I don't see myself making anything from the issue - first time ever!
GJabouri wrote
on Feb 3, 2008 1:13 PM
Hi SANDI,

Addition to my comment above - when I said "surely you have more than one at IK" I was referring to Berthas, not the modeled garment.
GJabouri wrote
on Feb 3, 2008 1:11 PM
Hi SANDI,

You said that you cannot post/print the bust measurements of the real models ... how about dressing a few different-sized Berthas in the sweaters? Even though it wouldn't be an exact image of what a sweater would look like on more plush people (who have arms, after all) it would give a good approximation. What I have in mind is: picture of model, plus 4 or 5 pictures of different-sized Berthas with the same garment (surely you have more than one at IK, right?) to show us how the same garment looks on bigger bodies. But please do start using real-sized models in IK, too!!!

Btw, I use Firefox too, but I cannot enlarge the comment box, either.
DianeM@5 wrote
on Feb 3, 2008 11:25 AM
I really like the information you have been giving on sizing and ease. I just noticed that some of the spring patterns in the preview are showing the ease on the models photographed. Thank you! I find that very helpful in making sure I knit the proper size for the fit I want. I also find the galleries helpful to see how the same sweater looks with positive ease and negative ease. Thanks again!
Sara@4 wrote
on Feb 3, 2008 11:20 AM
I was disappointed with the selection of sweaters...Is it Vogue Knitting and the 1960's with knitters held hostage by set-in sleeves????? Where's the variety of sweater knitting?
Eharper wrote
on Feb 3, 2008 11:20 AM
I L-O-V-E this issue!!! I cannot WAIT until it comes in the mail! There are maybe three things I wouldn't consider knitting, and usually there are only three things I would consider! You just keep getting better and better. Thank you!
CharityR wrote
on Feb 3, 2008 10:26 AM
"We'll go through the sizing and ease information for each garment"

I love the beautiful photos in every issue it inspires me as a new knitter to try these patterns. What I love more is your interest in showing these items on real Ladies!! While slender everywhere else I have an unusual body shape in that I am very busty up top. This makes it difficult to imagine patterns on me. I may have to knit one size up and three sizes down so seeing variety absolutely helps in that mathematical nightmare I often run into :)
Thanks!
morkirlan wrote
on Feb 3, 2008 8:24 AM
Hi Sandi,

As a fairly new knitter I am very daunted by the thought of choosing a substitute yarn when there is nothing similar available. Is there any chance you could ask for comments from those who have knitted the Sophisticated Rustic Jacket about which yarn they substituted and how it worked out? It would give me and other not-so-fearless knitters something to work from without taking a complete leap!

Thanks,
Morag.
JoananD wrote
on Feb 3, 2008 5:10 AM
I've taken a knitting hiatus due to starting a business, but your Spring issue is tempting me out of retirement. And I had a hard time picking what to knit. And I certainly have a "mature" figure. WELL DONE!!!!
GillianD wrote
on Feb 2, 2008 4:14 PM
I have just chosen my 5 garments. Some I have picked, not because I have any great urge to knit them, but to see how the garments can be changed to fit us non-models.
TSmith wrote
on Feb 2, 2008 2:40 PM
I love, love, love the galleries when you show a sweater on several shapes.
However, can't more than one sweater be knit? Why do you keep trying to squeeze a 44 inch bust into a 36-inch sweater or a 40 inch garment and then let it hang on someone who is very petite?
Just wondering.
I'd like to see sweaters for gals who are size 14 (like me!) that are made for that shape.
Thanks!
on Feb 2, 2008 12:53 PM
Having had the opportunity to see pictures of the projects in the new Interweave Knits issue, I will not be buying it.
Fliss wrote
on Feb 2, 2008 12:35 PM
I want to congratulate you on the models used for the latest mag. They aren't super thin or super tall but are normal healthy young women. Your gallery is a great feature. The last one showed just as much that there are some designs that did not work for skinny minnies as that there are some designs that don't look so good on chunkier chums. Horses for courses as they say! Fliss
TerryW wrote
on Feb 2, 2008 11:08 AM
I enjoyed reading everyones comments. Moral is you can't please everyone. Whatever floats your boat. I'm very petite and wear a size 1. I'm also 58. I did find most of the designs on the young side. I might make some of them for my daughters. The only one I would concider for myself would be the Holly Jacket. I'm an odd ball. I buy knitting magazines not for the designs I want to make but for 2 reasons. 1- to read to articles 2- since I like to design, there is always some element or stitch in each design that I might use somewhere down the road in something that I'm designing.
Since I get just about every magazine out there, it would be hard for me to knit something from each one every season.IK is one of my favorites! Fireislandlady
LouiseM@5 wrote
on Feb 2, 2008 10:15 AM
I am petite in height, have a pear shaped body, and choose clothes that minimize my plump derriere. I'm sad to say that at first glance, many of the sweaters in the spring collection are exactly the ones that I have learned to avoid. I'd be willing to give the patterns a second thought if the online preview included a schematic so that I could better assess the shape and overall lines of the garment. The online preview of the Burda World of Fashion magazine shows both the schematic and someone (inevitably someone with a boyish body) wearing it, and I find this really helpful.
DebV wrote
on Feb 2, 2008 9:57 AM
My daughter and I both loved these designs and are looking forward to buying new yarn.Usually I'm very persnickety.
KellyS wrote
on Feb 2, 2008 9:55 AM
I agree with Pat K's comment. However cute the items are they do no accomadate plus sizes nor do I consider them flattering for fuller figured women. Aren't there any designs or patterns for plus sizes that are flattering???
LindaS@6 wrote
on Feb 2, 2008 9:34 AM
Great newsletter and what an intelligent way to try to improve your magazine, i.e. use the internet to its fullest by getting instant suggestions from us real folks out there. I personally have always wondered why pattern designers and yarn companies aren't eager to provide multiple guages of yarn AND sizes for each pattern. There is hardly a yarn company out there that does not have yarn from lace weight to super bulky. I am sure that I am not the only knitter who falls in love, first with the fiber and then searches for a great pattern. I understand this would be more effort on the part of the designer, and I realize that I can "do the math" myself, but what a chore--
Keep it up Sandi, you and yours are true innovators.
Korinthe wrote
on Feb 2, 2008 9:27 AM
Could we maybe wait to have a vote until the magazine is actually out?

I subscribe because I like savoring the magazine, turning the pages, curling up with it as a reward for getting some onerous or challenging thing done. Seeing all the patterns featured on this site, before the magazine comes out, is like having someone tell you the entire plot of a movie while you're in line to buy tickets.

I'll just avoid KD until the magazine comes -- but it would be nice to have a vote, too.
KathieT wrote
on Feb 2, 2008 8:49 AM
Really appreciate the Gallery section of the website. Fit is such an individual issue! It's very helpful to have guidelines on adapting a pattern to long/short waist, low/full bust, arm length,etc. Our mother's patterns were written with consideration for exact fit, but often today they aren't.
I'd love to see more tutorials on just these
fitting techniques. As always, thanks for
a terrific website!
written for a more fitted style of knitwear thatn
JulieM@3 wrote
on Feb 2, 2008 8:10 AM
Wow! I loved the sweaters. I am in my mid forties and have a somewhat square figure. Boxy sweaters only emphasize this so I loved many of the sweaters. Please keep giving us these modern, different patterns. I have many many old magazines that I can use if I need something more classic. Also, with regards to baby/childrens patterns. A few stylish and innovative patterns would be fun. And as one person commented those in between sizes from 7 up (especially for boys) would be great! Keep on doing what you are doing. Not every issue will appeal to everyone!

Julie M in freezing Saskatchewan
Dpslaz wrote
on Feb 2, 2008 7:10 AM
I made the Sophisticated Rustic Jacket using Manos of Uruguay and altering the pattern to make the jacket slightly more fitted. Although the substitute yarn may have been less extreme in its thickness variation than the original, the results are beautiful.
knit1strum1 wrote
on Feb 2, 2008 4:49 AM
Thank you, Interweave Knits. I love getting the Knitting Daily magazine and positively devour each edition which lands on the mat. I love the fact that you are committed to us as readers, knitters, learners, experimenters and simply human beings who not only come in all shapes and sizes but in varying degrees of experience and ability. I have already learned a huge amount from you and look forward to learning more over the coming months and years.

Ros Ritchie, London, UK
ColleenH wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 11:35 PM
What about using Naturwolle/Muench Yarns 54 Uni-Farben Yarn as a sub for the Sophisticated Rustic Jacket. It is also a singles (unplied) thick and thin yarn and is listed as a #3 DK,light worsted. If anyone tries this yarn please let us know how it works out!
NadiaT wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 11:26 PM
The upcoming patterns look gorgeous! I REALLY appreciated the bonus photos showing the garments from different angles. It can be so hard to tell what a garment really looks like when the model stands in some contorted pose, folds her arms across her waist, or appears to have the waist/arms etc cinched tight with clips from behind. I commend interweave knits for providing photos that give a genuine impression of their designs!
SandraN wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 11:17 PM
I would like to see more top/down-bottom/up patterns.
Nicholas wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 11:15 PM
Let's see if I can get the rest of the comment posted... I thought there was a preview screen and the comment just plain posted itself. The reason Sandi can change the text box size is because I installed the Resizeable Form Fields add-on for Firefox. If you want a reasonably-sized comment box, that's the fix.
Nicholas wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 11:11 PM
Resizeable Form Fields
hrsd415 wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 11:05 PM
I am sad to say that there is not a single garment in the spring collection that I would consider. The collection trends toward a different group of knitters from the one to which I belong. I'm certain there are many knitters who will love this issue, I am not among them so I will not be purchasing the spring issue.
Jennifer@2 wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 10:13 PM
Yay for more galleries! Also, just thought I'd mention that while I was trying to decide which ones to vote for, I noticed that the Drawstring Chemise is credited to Kathy Zimmerman on the IK home page, but I believe it is actually Connie Chang Chinchio's design.
yarnshopper wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 9:28 PM
Two suggestions on making it easier to compare the fit of garments in the galleries:

1. For a given garment, all models should pose in the same position. If three are posed with their shoulders thrown back or hands on hips, it creates a very different look from the other two who have their arms down or are slouching against a wall. Pick one pose per garment and stick with it.

2. The models should be shown in the order of either increasing or decreasing bust size. It is of no benefit to sort them alphabetically.

As is, the galleries are very interesting. But if these little changes were made, I think it would greatly increase the galleries' usefulness.
LyndaC wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 9:12 PM
SPRING GALLERY GARMENTS

Actually, I could only find three that I'd be the least interested in --
*Aleita Shell
*Dovetail Pullover
*Printed Silk Cardi

Thanks for asking!
CaitJ wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 8:58 PM
I just looked at the gallery photos and what a great idea to use 'real'people. I just have one question, it is the same vest (Refined Aran Vest), or did each of the ladies make their own to fit their respective sizes?
GailG wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 8:35 PM
One of the ladies at the beginning of the posts requested patterns for babies/children. I can understand that some people like these but I beg you, please don't offer this type of pattern. I am a childless adult of nearly 50, don't knit for children, and consider it a waste of pages in my more sophisticated knitting magazines when I encounter such patterns. Surely there are other magazines that cater to this type of interest (Creative Knitting, etc.). I want adult fashions with a stylish twist, and that is your important point of difference--not muddling around in fashions for the family. Please! These things make my eyes bleed! Keep your edge! Thanks for listening.
Cheri@2 wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 8:31 PM
What *are* IK's readership demographics? KD's seem to skew a bit older... but I'm 47, a healthy size 10, and like many others don't see much I could wear in this upcoming issue. I work once a week in a LYS, and don't think many of our regular customers would knit these more "flirty" styles. When the IK models all seem to be 20-something and tiny, I start to lose hope. That, and the fact that the tops largely seem to require an under-top, which in the South can leave a girl "glowing" in short order! The Linen Skirt seems my only prospect.
on Feb 1, 2008 8:26 PM
Just a little curious...are the designers of IK's sweaters, 20-30ish or are they 40-50ish? I'm a 3x, 54 year old grandmom, who is tall and big in the bust, belly, and hip, and butt. I love a number of the sweaters in the past issues but more for my daughters than me. Maybe IK should look for older designers or start a new magazine for knitters that are more mature. After reading all the posts, I'd be curious to see what the age range is for your subscribers...it sure looks like you have a number of mature and plus-size subscribers but your patterns and models may not really be representative of your subscribers...just a thought. But I do love "Knitting Daily" and have no complaints with it or Sandi...now if we could just get the magazine up to par with them, then it would be a great magazine to subscribe to.
AndreaR wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 8:26 PM
I didn't comment on the Spring IK preview because I went to the web site and saw when it's going to be on newsstands, and even though I subscribe, it means a torturuous wait! Bad! Waiting! Unhappy!
I can't wait to see the "real women" in these sweaters -- I always like it when they show actual people, it helps me decide what to make (even though I'm a size 4).
Anonymous wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 8:11 PM
I AM IN MY LATE 70'S. BUT I CAN FIND A FEW THINGS THAT I COULD WEAR AND WOULD BE FUN TO KNIT. ESPAECIALLY "DOVETAIL" AND "HOLLY JACKET".
SaraJ wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 8:05 PM
Or foot. (Good thing she has no hands or I'd be dodging knitting needles by now! Bertha! I loooooooveee you!!!!)

*Sends Bertha a virtual hug*

I hope no one thinks I'm TOO nutty; lightheartedness has it's place too!
SaraJ wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 8:02 PM
oops, double comment.

I just wanted to add, after figuring out which of the similar to somewhat similar silhouettes might look good on me, then thinking about the what and the why of it, will help me as a knitter and as a pattern chooser (and future designer maybe! Starting off with a scarf design tho, to design, that I feel will be right up IW's alley and if it's not, there's always my blog!)

As well, perhaps if there's not one that is JUST right (ala Goldilocks) then pick the closest and change out the offending (not offensive, but rather, not working w/my shape or size or likes etc.) detail with one I find suitable from the others.

And I think I heard Bertha say she forgives me, it's all in good fun! She's got a great sense of humor, if not a good head on her shoulders . . . . woops, foot in mouth again (and again! She has no mouth . . . . hee hee hee)
Bennie-RuthD wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 8:01 PM
Sandi, I keep saying it - if magazines don't switch to lovely models like you and your staff, they are doomed. Yes, I know there are a lot of svelte 60 year olds out there - I am not one of them and statistics are saying the 75% of all women wear a size 16 and above, which means they are more than 'a little round'. It doesn't make us unworthy of style. Why can't magazines show us real everyday people in the garments, and poses designed to show garments made for our real figures, not just young people? I don't want to dress like a twenty something in a bigger size. By the time we 'un-nip' the waists and make allowance for stomachs, larger busts, etc.- they are different garments. What is the point? Sorry, I couldn't find 5 choices for myself this time. Thanks for listening. Bennie-Ruth
on Feb 1, 2008 7:59 PM
I have been reading the posts and I would like to say that I have always liked IK way it is, there are lots of knitting mags out there that have stuff for everyone, but I bought IK for the beauty of it, it appeals to my sense of the artistic. I may never make the projects I see, but if I want something sharp and different I go to IK.PLEASE don't change it!MaryL
SaraJ wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 7:56 PM
It ate my comment. It must have thought they were socks (you know, they proved washing machines eat socks, why not the net? Hee.)

Love ya, I have faith that further changes prompted by last summer's (and ongoing) discussion will occur.

Love that there's some great detail on these sweaters, even despite the fact that many are close to the same silhouette; it's fun to see different takes on that, different applications of it, even if that wasn't an intended part of the process.

Plus, perhaps I can then LOOK at them, and say, hey, I think this way of doing this silhouette might look better on me than THAT one.

Twas fun to see things with the little details that would make me want to knit them, should I decide the silhouette and style are suitable, as well as size, as well as knitting ability.

I have faith in IW, because I have faith in Eunny, and especially in YOU, as well as the courageousness of the Gallery Gals. Oh, and Bertha's steadfastness - I like how Beading Daily borrowed her, lol! That Bertha, she gets around . . . . HEY! I mean in a GOOD way, don't sic all your dummy friends on me . . . .(hee hee).
SaraJ wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 7:56 PM

vnisbett wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 7:55 PM
Maybe you could have separate designs to choose from, e.g., young figures and mature figures.

V. Nisbett
CassieH wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 7:42 PM
Thank you for the knitters gallery. It is so helpful to see how a garment hangs on different people. No, you don't have someone exactly like me, but that's okay! With the variety of shapes and heights and sizes, I can form a pretty good idea of how a garment might hang on me. Of course, I'm right in the middle size-wise. It probably doesn't work for women who are significantly taller or shorter, smaller or larger (but I guess they are probably used to being underrepresented when it comes to garments).
BarbaraL@3 wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 7:39 PM
Love the preview, the wonderful KD galleries and Sandi's "voice" and presence.

When I first saw the patterns, honestly I hated them -- and then I did what I always do and looked closely at all of the details, the construction, etc. I found a lot I like.

My main wish is that IK would show the same sweater on different shapes -- not sizes, 'cause doing that well would mean knitting more sweaters! -- but shapes. My shape is a 45yo post-pregnancy, curvy size 14-16.

I am interested in wearing more fitted shapes and I like 50-80 percent of what I see in quite a few designs in this issue. I am uncertain as to what sleeve lengths and shapes would be flattering, and I definitely don't know how the buttoned-bodice, open-torso look would be on my body. A bit of visual help would help me a lot (differently shaped models, or sketches).

I'm not an expert knitter, but I'm willing to try a pattern I really like, even making changes to it, if I have enough information to confidently venture forth.

For instance, the Sylph Cardigan is really pretty, but the bottom edging? I have real trouble picturing how that would be on my body with low breasts, a little belly, and curvy hips. Would it be a Good Thing or a Bad Thing? The long t-shirt on the model makes it really hard to see where it falls on her curves. Should I give up the edging and knit it in pattern to/from the bottom hem? No idea!

Final note: I LOVE the Mirabella Cardigan.
BeckyY wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 6:39 PM
Here's the rest of my post! I get too wordy.

I am 59 and marching quickly toward the big 6-0 this year! I think all the patterns, with the exception of the sleeveless ones, are wonderful and I would love to knit them all. The sleeveless ones would be for my 29 year old daughter. I don't understand what all the fuss is about. I'm rather round and I don't think the styles are inappropriate for older persons. Maybe I just think younger because of my daughter. I know she keeps me young. And PLEASE don't move toward children's designs! There are plenty of books out there now for children and babies. I love your magazine because it has such wonderful, stylish designs. It would be nice if you provided instructions in larger sizes, but I can figure out what to do to make the sweater larger, sleeves longer, etc.
A note to Sandi: Keep up your wonderful work and your marvelous, sunny disposition. It shows in everything you write!
CatherineM wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 6:38 PM
Just a note on the galleries--it seems to me that the majority of staffers modeling the garments are themselves not particularly large, and there is little variation (34" chest, 36", 32"). Is there a way to have a wider variety?
BarbaraH wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 6:37 PM
I'm not really too excited about most of the patterns. The gloves, the socks, both of the lace stoles and the cable sweater are possibilities, but I usually like the fall and winter selections better than the spring and summer ones.
BeckyY wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 6:36 PM
Maybe I don't know much about knitting yet. I've only been knitting since Feb. 2007 and I am totally self-taught, but I've worked with a lot of different yarn in that time. I'm intrigued by all the different types. I've bought Manos del Uruguay and it has the thick-thin texture that you talk about in this jacket. The only thing is the yarn contents. I believe all of that is 100% wool. It might just be too stiff. Would it work on this jacket? Just a suggestion!

I enjoy EVERY post that comes my way. It is like finding a lifeline for me. I don't go to any knitting circles, am intimidated by both LYS that I go to (one in TN and one in NC), and stay home and knit most of the time. Through your posts, I have learned a lot about things that were a mystery to me and weren't in any book. I've never written before but feel that I am a fearless knitter as well. I will try almost any pattern because I know I can eventually figure it out. I've also made a few patterns of my own. Plus since learning, I've made a large sweater coat that I've been wearing all this winter, a shrug for my daughter, an original design summer sweater for my daughter, several scarves, socks both bulky and thin, and a lap robe for Christmas for my cousin who has MS and is confined to a wheelchair (I know there are other things that I've just forgotten). I also have a TON of works-in-progress. I would like to have finished most of them but I've been traveling between TN and NC since last April when my father died. (You have no idea how much knitting helped me get through the first few months of his death!) We have been trying to get our house ready for sale. The real earnest work has now begun.
GayD wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 6:31 PM
So glad to see a glove pattern. This is something I have wanted to try.

Gay
KarenM@2 wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 6:28 PM
Hi,
I bet that jacket you posted last week would look great in any of the yarns from handpaintedyarns.com-- and the money does great things for people......
Just a thought.... it is thick/thin have some in the stash-- will have to mull over a color and order some more!
KarenM
KD Sandi wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 6:16 PM
***** KD Sandi here! Hi everyone! :)

The reason the socks and stoles were not on the Gallery voting list was because, well...it didn't seem like showing a stole on five different women would be all that helpful, since there is no sizing or shaping involved. And socks...a gallery of feet...hm. Not so much. :)

I have very limited time with the garments before they get sent off on the trunk shows, and limited time to shoot the Gallery photos with my models, so I wanted to make the best use of that time and show the sweaters, which is what most folks seem to have concerns about. Make sense? And I really wish I had time to do all the garments...that would rock. But I don't. :(

I did not include the child's dress because it's a little trickier to post photos of children on the internet, if you take my meaning. Especially with their measurements...not something I want to do.

As for posting the bust measurements of the models in the magazine: We just can't, for legal and contractual and all kinds of grownup reasons. Sorry, I know that would be helpful, but it's not possible. :(

Anne: I can drag my comment box to be wider and bigger (can you tell?!) at the lower right corner. (I use Firefox. Not sure if it works in IE.)

Thanks folks, for taking the time to write all your thoughts. I can't believe how lucky I am to have such great readers!!
PatriciaZ wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 6:14 PM
I may be in the minority about IK. I have been a subscriber from the first issue and have enjoyed the changes each editor has brought - fresh insights. I rarely knit anything from the magazine but use them more for ideas. I really enjoyed the history of knitting in different regions of the world, knitting techniques I wanted to brush up on or learn and the patterns for small items (baby clothes, socks, etc.). I am looking forward the new look as it evolves.
annekaelber wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 5:58 PM
Based on the issues I've received in a one-year subscription, I've come to the conclusion that IK is focused on style, telling the knitters "This is what you should be knitting". Since the magazine takes so long to put together and get out the door, I suspect it'll be another 2-3 issues before we KD readers start seeing the changes we want.

Perhaps the change should start by getting the designers together with "real people". Hold a contest for KD readers to win a session with a designer, get the yarn companies in on the act and have garments designed based on "real girls"---not these paid-to-look-good gals in the pages of IK. Sure, an issue like this takes time. And that's something I want IK to start respecting: our time reading, selecting, purchasing yarn and knitting the garments....only to have to hang them up in disappointment 'cause we tried to envision something for us.

Is IK a "fashion magazine" or a magazine FOR US? For the last 6 months, I've gone to Barnes & Noble religiously to seek out the newest copy of a UK magazine which seems to offer, if not clothing I can envision myself in, at least more socks and toys to play with. The colors and general *feel* of the reading in IK versus the other knitting magazines makes me feel like I'm reading the wrong magazine.

And yet....how can someone as supportive and educational as Sandi be working for the company who puts out IK? It seems odd to me. I love the KD Galleries and the light, airy feel of KD itself....but IK feels stuffy, like it takes itself too seriously!

Lighten up, IK! Showcase your reader's wants and make sure your 'zine has a little something for *all* of us!

Grumpy, with two issues left on my subscription,

Anne.
P.S. Can your web guys make the comment box a little wider? Or should I stop trying to write "books"? *grin*
Rhona P wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 5:55 PM
There are always several designs I would like to make in every issue of the magazine, but as a 50+ reader I am often wary that I would be trying to turn the clock back... so how about using older models to show some of the designs? I wouldn't dream of wearing the drawstring chemise or the frock camisole as your models are, but underneath a jacket or little cardigan then why not? Just because we're over 50 doesn't mean we can't have some fun with clothes - it just needs thinking about a bit more carefully!
Naoko S wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 5:54 PM
I love, love, love the new issue! I can't wait until it comes in my mailbox--sooner than the official release date at the stores, I hope. I am in my mid-40s and hope to be knitting such lovely, fitted garments into my retirement. The reason why I decided to subscribe to IK again is because of the tasteful, classic knits. I can wear a baggy sweatshirt around the house on weekends, but I want to be able to wear and show off my handmade knits at work. This is why I am so happy to see tailored-looking outfits here.
TJH wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 5:49 PM
Was it just me or were the strip dress, socks and lace stole not listed in the poll?? Those were my top three picks.
AmberK wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 5:47 PM
lol you truely can't make everyone happy all of the time can you? I'll admit to letting my subscription run out simply because the last 3 issues have all ran too big and boxy for my taste, but aha! this issue is exactly what I'm looking for. The question isn't what will I knit, it's what yarn shall I order for the printed silk cardigan. I'm big and busty and the a-line shape is my friend. Can't wait to see the gallery and you can show the doubters that a little shaping does wonders for any figure.
StaciaP wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 5:38 PM
I love the idea of seeing something on different models, but what would be more helpful is to see two of the same garment modified for two different body types. Example, The Aleita shell, make one for my body type (large bust, short torso) and one for my opposite (small bust extra long torso).I'm so afraid to make anything with shaping because of curves and torso length. Going by bust measurement often means it will be bigger all over, and something with a V-neck might plunge to my navel. I would love to SEE an example of modified patterns, not just read a description of what one could do to modify. Thanks for your time. Stacia
MichelleH@5 wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 5:36 PM
I'm pretty disappointed with the selections. I only would consider Dovetail. The photo gallery does very little toward getting me to purchase the magazine. It isn't the quality of the photography, but the styles seem appropriate only for 20 somethings. I would feel ridiculous in a sweater that doesn't close in front, has flappy sleeves, or short sleeves. But that's ok, I'll look at the next issue when it hits the newsstands. Maybe there will be something for me.
maki@6 wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 5:34 PM
I showed the preview to my 66 year old mother, and all I can say is she loved it! She's planning to knit at least two of the designs for herself. So, not all older knitters dislike the issue!
TriaE wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 5:31 PM
sorry i meant to comment on the jacket. first posting ever, silly me! :)
TriaE wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 5:30 PM
What about Moda Cartwheel? Its a thick and thin yarn and might work?
SharonL@4 wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 5:20 PM
I love the newsletter and the magazine but have to wonder if there is any research done on demographics. I am also over 50 and wouldn't knit any of the sweaters with the possible exception of the Dovetail sweater. I love the hats and scarves and I would really like to see more accessories for the home. Overall, you guys are really great.
SandraC@2 wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 5:19 PM
Many have said it so well. How would these garments look on the busty, over 50 year old body?
Emmy LouC wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 5:15 PM
as an older person with visual issues- having more choices that look good on maturer but good figures, but are done on larger needle sizes would be helpful. i can use an 8 or 9 somewhat but find more ease with 10. i do use a white full spectrum lamp. thanks! to help. thanks! EL in TC
AnneB wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 5:12 PM
First on the statements that none of the sweaters in the spring issue are for the "older" crowd - I turn 60 this year and I want to knit at least 3 of the sweaters. They will be great at the office when in air conditioning is blowing! Just because the model is "young" doesn't mean that the style is only for the young!

Second, on yarn for the Rustic Jacket - Nashua Handknits has a thick-thin yarn - Natural Focus Ecologie Wool. It's two ply but the listed gauge is what the pattern called for. It's hand dyed so the color variations may even enhance the jacket. I'm ordering a skein to swatch.
CarrieS wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 4:54 PM
Harrisville Designs Flax & Wool might be a good sub for Zelda. Its fiber content is similar, and it's on the heavy side of worsted. I'll try to remember to do the WPI measure when I get home...
Chandra wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 4:54 PM
Well, this fortysomething with a 36C bust LOVES the patterns in the previews, and can't wait to get her hands on the magazine so she can start knitting. The designs are classic yet fashionable - I'm very happy!
CelesteS wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 4:44 PM
Thanks for devoting a post to this! It's a big bugaboo for me, that some knitters think that "fitted" isn't for plus sizes: drives me crazy!! When I saw this issue preview, my heart leapt because I really hate boxy sweaters -- so this looks like pure gold to me. The designs are feminine without being fussy, and the vintage-inspired styling is obvious without being too retro for the taste of some (me, I love things obviously retro, so if you're leaning that way for a future issue, by all means, pull out the stops! ;-)) A lot of plus-size styling could benefit from emphasizing the wearer's voluptuousness, not hiding it, and I can totally visualize many of these designs fitting that bill.

Thanks for the uplift!
Celeste
Kris AnnR wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 4:43 PM
I really only found 1 pattern I liked in your spring issue. I feel like one of the other comments, that you need to be smaller to wear the sweaters in this issue. I just can't imagine a size 1X wearing any of those patterns.
DeborahF wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 4:43 PM
I just voted for my Gallery "hopes." I also want to add that I was so excited when I saw the preview for this issue - SO MANY things that I'd like to knit. Don't really know where to start. Good job all!
SusanSW wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 4:40 PM
I too have to say that I am prepared to be patient with the magazine, which I have loved for so long...but the Spring issue holds nothing for me. Almost all the styles seem the same: nipped-in waists, low cut v-neck tops, and short sleeves. Well, maybe I'd make the scarf, since I have some Tye-Dye yarn left from a Knitter's magazine project. Please try for a wider range of garments in the next issue. As others have obviously said, we are not all in our 20's. Thanks.
JanisP wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 4:37 PM
I love the V-neck top shown with the Linen Trumpet Skirt by Kat Coyle. How can we get the pattern for this beautiful top?
KerryP wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 4:37 PM
Being a curvaceous gal, myself, I like the fitted designs. Something that hugs my figure, instead of being boxy, is what I'm looking for. Also, I'd really be interested in seeing some cool, classic baby designs as that's all I seem to be knitting for lately.
on Feb 1, 2008 4:27 PM
I guess I'm fortunate. I spin most of what I use. Whatever is left over is sold. I can approximate what I need. I have my own CS problems (chicken "poop" syndrome). The problem, for me, is not being afraid to rip out.
KayA wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 4:25 PM
I'm a plus-size girl myself, and honestly, I think a lot of the garments in the upcoming issue would be flattering on larger shapes, including my own, which is short, big in the bust, big in the hips and rear, and small in the waist and shoulders. I can't quite understand all of the complaints, but I suppose it depends on body type.
ArleneN wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 4:25 PM
Actually, there is nothing here I would consider making. I wear sweaters in the summer to protect myself from hyper-active air conditioning. There is no point in anything less than a long sleeved cardigan for me. Shawls are a nuisance at work and don't accomodate easily to street wear with a purse always worn across the chest. Sorry, I look forward to the Fall.
SandraCorp wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 4:22 PM
Knits is my favorite knitting magazine because the styles are interesting but not as way out as, for instance, Vogue Knitting. HOWEVER, I agree with some who say the styles are skewed to younger people (I'm 53 and I knit almost exclusively for me -- just ME) I don't want a lot of baby/kids patterns in a magazine I subscribe to. In fact, I cancelled Vogue when they sent a whole issue on kids a few years ago. I think a few intermixed is fine. I think, also, that your gallery of real bodies wearing the patterns is a good idea but I would like to see suggestions for making some of these sweaters for people who might be able to fit into the close shapes but just feel that they aren't comfortable showing middle aged shapes to the entire world. Thanks for the opportunity to comment.
AngelaImhoff wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 4:13 PM
I'm all for the galleries, as a new mom (who's nursing) I suddenly have a new shape. So it would be great to see what all these cardigans look like on full busted, though otherwise thin people. I don't want to waste my precious knitting for myself time on something that won't look good on me when its done :)
AnnaM wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 4:13 PM
I am sized with hips like Jill W. above, and like Cynthia I'm a 2X (age 67). But I have got 3 RTW sweaters that look like several of the cardigans: they snug in just a little under the bust, and then coast down nicely over the belly and hips. The open part of the cardigan below the waist is NOT bad thing, if you keep your pants and top tonal and not assertively bright colored. Really! the "cut away" fronts, if the hip flare is smoothly draped and doesn't pull, is VERY flattering. Thanks, IK, for designs that work for many types.
For people who are scared to knit an unknown look, go try some on in a RTW store and see.
DonnaT wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 4:12 PM
I appreciate that you have been showing suggested ease on a lot of sweaters lately & would appreciate if you would do so on all tops. As an alternative, you could indicate the finished chest size & the model's actual chest/bust measurement. I also second the suggestion for more children's sweater patterns - esp for school age boys. There is a real dearth of patterns for boys particularly beginning at about age 6 & up.
DonnaT wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 4:09 PM
I love that you have been shoing suggested ease & would appreciate it if you would do so on all sweaters. Or as an alternative, could you post the finished chest size of the garment & the model's actual chest/bust measurement? I also second the suggestion for more cute children's sweaters - esp for somewhat oplder children. There is a real dearth of patterns for sizes starting at about a size 6 or 7.
MeriT wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 4:09 PM
This voting was so hard! I studied each garment looking at details and construction etc but they were all so cute! I ended up trying to envision them on my ++ size body and picked the ones I thought would look the best. I can't wait to see those galleries!
molly z. wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 4:09 PM
I am usually very impressed with each issue, but this one I have to agee with other readers - What about those of us on the plus-size with a measurable bust (something more than an A-cup)? From the letter there are quite a few of us above a size 16! Nearly every sweater had sleeves above the elbow which only accentuates those of us with a bust. I know it is a spring issue, but a few 3/4 sleeve patterns would be a great help. Hey, I live in Arizona, am 58, like a younger-look, but I only voted for ONE pattern, and only voted for that one because the 3 I will knit were not listed - socks & shawls. Please, could you have your designers think about real-life size women? Sandi is a great example!
Thanks for this gallery, I look with GREAT anticipation to the future of this one.
Just a thought - perhaps some sketches of variations on these patterns - like the honeycomb jacket on a larger bust (fully buttoned) with 3/4 length sleeves. Not necessarily with added instructions - we are after all creative knitters.
textilegirl wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 4:08 PM
I think there's a connection between this poll and your earlier question about 'fearless knitting'. If I were more confident about my ability to rework these designs to fit my body I might be a more 'fearless knitter'. The Galleries help a lot; I can manage moving a stripe up or down so that it doesn't call undue attention to the girls, for example, or lengthening or shortening a garment, but much beyond that -- heebeejeebees!
JudeM wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 4:08 PM
Sandi--A thought occurs to me in the context of this yarn substitute issue: What if this jacket were knitted up using a few different yarns, and we could see a gallery of these jackets? Would you consider such a "spin" on your wonderful gallery concept?
weises1 wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 4:05 PM
Why would you feature a pattern like Rustic Sophisticated Jacket when the yarn is discontinued? I understand that you could use a substitute but when the yarn is so unique, it would be very difficult to get the look with a substitute.
Sue W.
JINNAC wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 4:02 PM
I like the slouch rib cardigan and the dovetail pullover, but would need them in 52" to 54". I'm still watching and hoping for larger sizing.
CynthiaF@3 wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 3:58 PM
I want to be counted among those who see little to knit for themselves - in this case, 60 yrs old and 2X. Cut away bellies and negative ease just aren't in my plan. Just because some fashion guru says we should look like that doesn't make it true. Fashion says "me too"; style says "only me!"
Fiberlicious wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 3:58 PM
While the nipped-in waist styles look good on people with hourglass shapes, many of us are shaped like beach balls: my widest part is my middle, and waist shaping only emphasizes my fattitude. Empire styles just make me look pregnant. What's a fat girl without a waist to do?
Julie McC. wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 3:57 PM
Oh, dear. The one I want to see in the gallery the most, I can't vote for. It's the Slouch Rib Cardigan. Of course, given that I can almost never get the KD patterns to download anyway, I suppose it's just wishful thinking.
DebJ wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 3:57 PM
You know, I'm going to be brutally honest but the last few issues seem to be featuring only sweaters that work for younger and as previously mentioned by several folks, small, slim women. Where are the designs for those of us over 40, over 50 and above? I feel like I've been ignored by the magazine--except here in Knitting Daily and you dear Sandi--and I even cancelled my subscription because I've been so frustrated. The designs are gorgeous but it just seems skewed very young. I'm hopeful that eventually the pendulum will swing back to feature a nice mix of designs for young to old, hip to more classic, etc. Thanks for asking us what we think and for the forum!
MaryE wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 3:52 PM
Found it! O.K., more to my earlier comments - while I like to see that you offer more larger sizes these days, I am a 'larger size' person, and am 70 and I do NOT wear fitted clothing. This Spring issue offers me nothing, really, but maybe the scarf, other than lace shawls. I LIKE to knit sweaters and jackets. Please give us some more boxy stuff. Thanks!
KatY wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 3:48 PM
I was kinda disappointed not to see either of those lovely shawls in the mix. Those both get my votes. Like others, I don't really find sweaters in this issue that appeal. But those were the only choices on the poll.
MistyY wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 3:46 PM
I used Crystal Palace Cotton Chenille to make this jacket a year or so ago, and while it did not replicate the thick and thin textured look, it did make up into a beautiful jacket (and my gauge was spot on, too!)
Anonymous wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 3:45 PM
I hope you'll include some big girl models for the Spring Gallery as I'd really like to see how some of these garments look if you have a belly. Some of us think they could be flattering and others disagree.
--Betsy
Katy@2 wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 3:45 PM
I hadn't realized that some of those galleries were up, so yay! Rosemary's Swing Jacket didn't appeal to me much in the magazine, but because it looks so *fabulous* on the IK ladies, I'm adding it to my queue. Thanks for all your efforts, Sandi! :)
LeighC wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 3:43 PM
Peacepurl - check out Ravelry.com - people post their projects with pictures, and you can search by pattern. It's great for seeing all the different yarns people use for their projects.
Cora Shaw wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 3:42 PM
Sophicated Rustic Jacket substitutions, what about Noro, as the the color changes are fairly long, it would look wonderful in those bright combinations.

Cora Shaw
JillW wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 3:40 PM
Love the galleries! It was interesting to see that the comparison for ease was to the bust measurement - for those of us heavier through the waist and hips, ease in that area is more of a fitting problem than the bust. Also, I noticed that many of the sweaters looked fine with a negative ease in the bust. I wouldn't have thought of making a sweater in a size with a *smaller* bust measurement! Is there an easy was to decrease on top or increase on the bottom to get a better fit without totally ruining the line of the design?
HeidiG wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 3:38 PM
Thanks for the opportunity to let us choose the five to be modeled. Having your fabulous co-workers model them is immensely helpful to me when I'm choosing the next sweater to knit. I know for myself I am uber self-conscious about wearing the sweaters I've knitted for myself.
GwenZ wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 3:32 PM
Just took a look at the samples on the various models in the older galleries. Yup, I knew that most of the samples wouldn't look good on me but WOW! no disputing the photos. I'd like to see at least one or more projects each issue that suit the fuller figure (see Central Park Hoodie http://www.knittingdaily.com/knittinghelp/cphplus.html) Even the same style on us larger gals doesn't always work.
NancyA@3 wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 3:32 PM
While I enjoy reading Interweave Knits, I find very few of the garments suitable for a 59-year-old woman. They mostly seem designed for 20-somethings and 30-somethings.
SeannaL wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 3:30 PM
I will be happy to see any of these garments on more voluptuous models, because while I did vote for the ones I liked they were already the ones I could see myself making and wearing most easily. This is an opportunity to find that something dismissed might actually be that something perfect.
JordiW wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 3:29 PM
I too have a hard time with most of the sweaters shown this time. I am not a stick, and there is really only one sweater that is not form fittin or bust emphasizing.... Please think about the rest of us and give us a couple of things to knit too!
Peacepurl wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 3:27 PM
I too, have come to rely on the photo gallery with all those different body types wearing the model sweaters. I can easily eliminate a style that I can see will not suite my body type .. like those skinny jeans. I might be able to get them on.. but really.. I shouldn't..Grins

Another dream gallery ( I know it's a big dream) would be to see the garments knit in alternative yarns.. We have already established that we often subtitute in real life. Would be grand to see alternative..

With these suggestions I have to add my thanks to those who have gone before me.. I love this KD!
W Boston
Pegola wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 3:26 PM
I'm hardly ever attracted to any of the sweaters featured in the magazine, but I do like the articles on techniques, etc. I guess I'm just one of the "frumpy" ones, with no apologies. I enjoy "Knitting Daily" when it's not just an advertisement. And I do enjoy the gallery, as it gives me a better perspective than seeing garments on the same old slender perfect bodies. Peggy
Barbara wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 3:25 PM
Well said Vicki Ely. More baby & toddler patterns please.Barbara Barwick,New Zealand
BrendaM wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 3:23 PM
I agree that most of these knitted garments are beautiful but I see only two that I would consider making. The all look like they are intended for thin people with small breasts. I am a full breasted size 12 and don't think these are appropriate for me.
BrendaM wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 3:23 PM
VickiE@3 wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 3:19 PM
I THINK ALOT OF KNITTERS ARE LIKE ME, THEY KNIT ALOT FOR CHILDREN, GRANDCHILDREN AND BABIES. SNICE SO FEW PEOPLE KNIT ANYMORE I ALWAYS MAKE SURE EVERY NEW BABLY IN MY FAMILY GETS A HAND KNITTED SWEATER AND BLANKET AND HAT FOR A SHOWER GIFT AND EVERYONE LOVES THE IDEA THEY GET SOMETHING THEY CAN PASS ON AND CAN NOT BUY.
COULD YOU SHOW MORE PATTERNS FOR CHILDREN AND BABIES OR POSSIBLY DEVOTE A MAGIZINE ISSUE TO CHILDREN.
VICKI ELY
JoanS@5 wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 3:16 PM
I just love the 'Gallery'. I have knitted some projects in the past thinking that they were beautiful looking sweaters only to finish them, try them on and then give them to my smaller/thinner daugher. The 'Gallery' helps me visualize better before I spend my time knitting something I don't really like wearing. Thank you for doing the photos and providing them to us!
joan
AnitaM wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 3:11 PM
Thanks Sandi for always handling the debate with grace and good humour. You always present such a happy positive perspective - it's a pleasure to read every entry. And thanks in advance for the Gallery - it's really so helpful. I can't wait to see it. Bring on the cardis! :)
JanetH wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 3:11 PM
Hi,

What about Rowan Cocoon for the Sophisticated Rustic Jacket? It isn't a thick and thin, but it is a singles and might work well. Another thought would be Rowan Tapestry, though the color variation could produce some unexpected results. My experience with one ball of it (for the Short Row Hat found on your website) was that it is somewhat thick and thin, though I'm not sure that's what the folks at Rowan intended.

Janet H. - Sheridan WY
janet@sewunique.com
MissyT wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 3:10 PM
How come Sandi looks so darn good in all of these garments with negative ease? She's got some of the "skinny minnie," taller models beat hands down!
AmyCM wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 3:06 PM

Better yet--learn to spin and make your own yarn for the sweater! (Okay--I couldn't resist--but really, it is an option.)
Cindy Bawdon wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 3:03 PM
I *love* the patterns in this new issue. So often when I look through knitting magazines, I look at the projects and think "Wow, these are all designed for process knitters." They often have the type of ornamentation that knitters are fond of but don't flatter the body very well (think bobbles), or they are so plain that I could have bought them off the rack. These projects have details that make the pieces unique, but won't make me feel "unique" wearing them. They strike me as a good balance between custom fashion and knitting interest. And that is a hard balance to make.
NancyB@5 wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 2:53 PM
I was one that voted for the Sophisticated Rustic Jacket. I love the pattern but I wonder why you offered it as a choice since the yarn is discontinued and it looks like it will be very hard to find a substitute? How about some of your lovely jackets that we CAN find yarn for?
AmyO wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 2:51 PM
I would love to see the linen skirt on various body types!
TammyK wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 2:50 PM
I loved most of the patterns too. It was hard to chose just 5 of them!
TerriW wrote
on Feb 1, 2008 1:18 PM
For the first time, I loved EVERY single one of these garments! Hip, fun, and flattering. Why does everything have to be either for slim people or plus sizes? Why can't it just be fashionable and wearable, so people can make it work for their shape? (or find a different pattern) Great job with this series!