Readers' Choice Awards: And the Finalists Are...

Feb 3, 2008

Last winter, to celebrate the publication of our editor's choice collection, The Best of Interweave Knits, we asked you, our readers, to nominate YOUR favorite Knits patterns. We received thousands of nominations, and we are now proud to announce Your Top Ten Readers' Choice Award Finalists:

• Swallowtail Shawl, by Evelyn A. Clark — Fall 2006

• Venezia Pullover, by Eunny Jang — Winter 2006

• Sunrise Circle Jacket, by Kate Gilbert — Spring 2006

• Tweedy Aran Cardigan, by Norah Gaughan — Winter 2001/2002

Swallowtail Shawl

• Nantucket Jacket, by Norah Gaughan — Winter 2006

• Provincial Waistcoat, by Mari Lynn Patrick — Winter 2006

• Cable-Down Raglan, by Stefanie Japel — Spring 2007

• Caftan Pullover, by Norah Gaughan — Spring 2006

• Cherry Blossom Shawl, by Kristin Spurkland — Spring 2002

• Entrelac Socks, by Eunny Jang — Spring 2007

Congratulations to Evelyn, Eunny, Kate, Norah, Mari Lynn, Stefanie, and Kristin! We're proud to honor you, your talent, and all your hard work.

Voting for The Award Winners

Cable-Down Raglan

Now that we have your nominees, it's time to vote! Here's how it works:

Click here to see photos of all the nominees, and to place your vote!

You can only vote for ONE pattern, so make your vote count. Voting ends February 19th.

We'll count up the votes, and in March, we'll announce the Top Five Readers' Choice Winners. The top five patterns will be published in a special ebook, available as a free download here on Knitting Daily for one month only. Each of the top five designers will receive a cash prize in honor of her contributions to the knitting community.

Sandi Wiseheart is the editor of Knitting Daily.

What's on Sandi's needles? The Gathered Pullover, and sleeves of the Secret Project. I finished the body yesterday!

Comments

BeckyM@5 wrote
on Jun 20, 2008 6:04 PM

Will these patterns be free again soon? I thought that the sunrise circle jacket would remain free but I can't find it. I printed out the entire book the day it was released and I saved the PDF... but will they be free again? Soon? Please?

CarolynO wrote
on Apr 9, 2008 5:21 PM
Please, please tell me I am not too late for the download patterns of the winners of the Readers Choice Awards which were supposed to be announced in March (April?) I thought I had been diligent about watching for the patterns, but somehow I missed everything! Please take pity on this knitting addict.

Carolyn
Sariht2 wrote
on Apr 8, 2008 7:25 AM
It says: "We'll count up the votes, and in March, we'll announce the Top Five Readers' Choice Winners." in the post. Does anybody know where these top five were announced?
RebeccaA wrote
on Feb 13, 2008 11:36 AM
I wholeheartedly approve of the choices made. I have "The Best of Interweave Knits" and am looking forward to the publication of "Readers Choice: Best of Knits 2008." In keeping with my resolution to be an even more "fearless knitter," I am currently working on the entrelac socks. I am SO glad they were nominated! I agree with the readers who say it is hard to choose just 10. Your publication puts out so many lovely, yet doable but challenging designs.
LarraineB wrote
on Feb 7, 2008 7:28 PM
I love the Sophisticated Rustic Jacket. However, the yarn (Classic Elite Zelda) ahd been discontinued - can you recommend a substute?
Amy@2 wrote
on Feb 6, 2008 9:15 AM
Hmm. Voting more than once is possible. I just did it.
SusanM wrote
on Feb 5, 2008 4:04 PM
WOW, voting for one? That was hard! Susan
Anonymous wrote
on Feb 5, 2008 2:49 PM
I also felt the pattern choices were less than exciting and was surprised at how old some of them were.
DottieB@2 wrote
on Feb 5, 2008 1:54 PM
i agree with a lot of the comments. All the patterns I already have since I have been a member since Winter 2004. All but two. Very dissapointed in the choices. I like knitting Daily, but the free patterns are old ones from the IK mags.
Dottie
SheenaM wrote
on Feb 5, 2008 9:36 AM
I really enjoy Daily Knitting. I always look forward to it. Can't wait to see what's going on.
hooper8416 wrote
on Feb 5, 2008 9:18 AM
I voted for the caftan pullover, but it would have been nice to have more info on each one before voting. I also agree with the poster who said the patterns should have been not so recent. Thanks you guys are great.
LaurieR wrote
on Feb 5, 2008 8:56 AM
Wow...I love all the patterns! They're do cute! I voted for the caftan because as a belly dancer I simply can't resist something with a little Middle Eastern flair! I came really close to voting for the Nantucket jacket. Actually, it was a really, really tough decision since I'd love to make at least half of the patterns listed!
MarciaB@2 wrote
on Feb 5, 2008 8:23 AM
Hi Sandi, I am so wanting to knit the rustic jacket! Tried a swatch yesterday with a thick thin wool yarn I had on hand and loved the texture it made. It was a verigated and if the gauge was close I woud have dyed the yarn, but it was not suitable. I am going to wait a bit and see if a yarn surfaces that is close. Keep looking for us. Thanks!
Rebecca@2 wrote
on Feb 5, 2008 6:37 AM
Rustic Jacket - Even though the yarn is discontinued, if someone knows handspinner, I am sure that the yarn can be replicated easily.
VickiJ wrote
on Feb 5, 2008 4:28 AM
I feel as if I wasted my vote. I did not realize the sunrise circle jacket was already available as a free online pattern.
Happygoo25 wrote
on Feb 5, 2008 12:36 AM
I am surprised by the top 10. I don't like most of them. I thought there would be some really good basic styles and some patterns from way back. I picked the burgundy cardigan. It was either that one or the cherry shawl.
Marty wrote
on Feb 4, 2008 10:18 PM
Oh my, how does a knitaholic choose any ONE of the top 10 as the best? Each is just as wonderful as the next! I have to admit that my voting was influenced entirely by practicality and that by my own preference only. Each would clearly be # 1 in it's own category if each style/function were unto itself. This was a most impossible poll!
LesleyM wrote
on Feb 4, 2008 10:14 PM
That's disappointing that most of the designs are so recent. I was hoping to see stuff from the Fall 2004 issue or other issues that were released before I started knitting in 2005.
HeidiD wrote
on Feb 4, 2008 9:46 PM
I am working on the cable down raglan right now and think it is going to be very cute. I am using "Merino Style" from Knit Picks in Tide Pool which is similar in color to the featured yarn but more within my budget. I will post my comments on it when I have finished. There are a couple of errors in the pattern though which I hope get corrected if it is featured in the e-book ie. the neck trim is missing a few rows. Anyway, I can't wait to see which sweaters win!
ShelleyH@2 wrote
on Feb 4, 2008 8:06 PM
The Sunrise Circle Jacket is not felted, but this pattern is already free on this website, so although it is a strong favourite sweater pattern of mine, the fact that I already have the pattern did bias me into not voting for it.
Tikabelle wrote
on Feb 4, 2008 7:14 PM
I voted for the Cherry Blossom Shawl 'cause it's one of only two patterns I don't have; I've got the last year and a half's worth of IK magazines. It's nice to know that I have a lot of patterns that are likely to become classics already in my library!
JoanB wrote
on Feb 4, 2008 6:40 PM
Sandi,
I love the Sophisticated Rustic Jacket and have been scouring online sources for a substitute yarn. Please help!

Joan B
Lynn G. wrote
on Feb 4, 2008 6:27 PM
Sorry for so many posts (this is the last one), but does anyone know: is the Sunrise Circle Jacket felted, and, if so, can it be made successfully without felting? The photos are very small...hard to see the yarns and stitches.
Lynn G. wrote
on Feb 4, 2008 6:04 PM
P.S. I see that the Tweedy Aran Cardigan is the one offered in the Pattern Store, and it DOES already show all the information needed about yarn, needles, size range, etc. We really do need that info for the other patterns for voting to be fair. As it is, you prejudiced the voting a bit by showing two pattern photos in your blog today, and I think people will be attracted by the blue in the cable down sweater...maybe the voting would be different if it were knit in a plain color. So many influences...
Lynn G. wrote
on Feb 4, 2008 6:00 PM
Sandi, I have a question: since we're only allowed one vote, and for those of us who aren't regular subscribers and therefore haven't seen these patterns before, how are we supposed to know what the size range is for each pattern and roughly what size needles they require. I can see which patterns are most appealing visually to me, but unless there is an XS size, or even an XXS (bust 31-32 inches), I wouldn't be able to make the item for myself, and I'm too disabled to work with really small needles. I'd really love to have this additional info before voting, and I strongly imagine that the plus-sized readers would want it, too, especially for older patterns that may not have been sensitive to their needs by including larger sizes. I'm wondering if you could do a sort of "pattern preview" with basic size-range and needle/fiber info for each pattern, as you do for your upcoming issues, without giving too much info away. This would really help us to vote accurately. thanks!
AnnaM wrote
on Feb 4, 2008 5:36 PM
Hi, I voted for the caftan, because of its quality design, drawing on and using a middle eastern traditional look, and marrying it with the classic, wearable pullover.
AdrienneB wrote
on Feb 4, 2008 5:12 PM
I voted for the Cable down raglan, in spite of the fact it is one of several I have in an issue. I considered voting for my favorite that I don't have. It might be interesting to see how many actually do vote for the favorite, and how many vote for the un-owned favorite.
KatY wrote
on Feb 4, 2008 5:01 PM
Like Rebecca I was hoping to see some of the older more classic patterns that IK has come up with over the years. I got lucky and raided a closing LYS of their older editions, however there are still some gaps of out of print stock that will never be seen again. Such a shame!! And yet I ended up voting for the entralac socks. I won't be in time for this year, but next mardi gras my post will hopefully be on ravelry showing my purple, green and gold harlequin socks!!
PattiP wrote
on Feb 4, 2008 3:57 PM
Hi Sandi,
I am just working on Nicholas' Gloves. What an intelligent pattern. Thanks
Patti P
RebeccaW wrote
on Feb 4, 2008 3:56 PM
I'm kind of surprised at how recent most of those designs are - I own 8 of 10 of those patterns. (Plus one is in the Knitting Daily shop). I voted swallowtail because that's the one I don't have and would love to knit.
RebeccaW wrote
on Feb 4, 2008 3:55 PM
Elizabeth wrote
on Feb 4, 2008 3:02 PM
All the projects are lovely and it was difficult to choose. The lace scarves are too fine and delicate for me. The Venezia pullover is breathtaking but also too fine (small gauge) and difficult for my skills. I had debated about Nantucket Jacket, Provincial Waistcoat, which I could see myself wearing, but not knitting as they also seemed rather involved and required a lot of concentration, which I am short on right now. I considered the Caftan as well. I voted for the Cable Down Raglan because I could imagine myself knitting this as it seems fairly straight forward and easy. I do not care for the entrelac socks as well, however a lot of people must like them. Congratulations, these projects are all beautiful and appropriate for lots of ages and tastes and many of them stylish for years to come.

There must be a lot of really talented and skillful knitters out there!