It's Time For The Spring Gallery! (Part One)

Feb 12, 2008

It's Gallery Time! You voted for six of the sweaters in the Spring 2008 issue of Interweave Knits, and so the Knitting Daily Gallery Galz posed, primped, and promenaded their way through another round of photographs for you. We present the first three Sweater Galleries today; the other three will be ready on Friday.

The Flutter Sleeve Cardigan Gallery

The Mirabella Cardigan Gallery

The Printed Silk Cardigan Gallery

Click on the links above to see seven of our lovely Gallery Galz in these three lovely sweaters! You will also find individual fit comments for each Gal, as well as general shaping comments on each sweater. I hope you find this information useful—tell me what YOU think!

Readers' Choice Awards: Don't Forget To Vote!

Vote for your favorite Interweave Knits pattern! The top five will be published in a free Knitting Daily ebook next month, so let your voice be heard.

Sandi Wiseheart is the editor of Knitting Daily.

What's on Sandi's needles? Halfway through the second sleeve on the KD Secret Project. (I am truly grateful sometimes that humans do not usually come equipped with four arms.)

Comments

LiisaT wrote
on Feb 24, 2008 12:53 PM
I'm just getting around now to reading about the gallery posts. Boy!!! Are there ever a lot of grumpy gus's out there.You can't make everyone happy all the time, right?I love KD, been knitting for 40 years now, I'm a young 49, and have 2 little granddaughters too.I learn something new everyday from KD,and I thought I knew alot about knitting.Your magazine years ago used to have older models, and that turned me off for years.I came back a few years ago, cause your styles are now stylish and more suitable to what I like.They may not all look good on me. I used to be slimmer and those baggy styles with drop shoulders were terrible, I love the fitted with set in sleeves styles.They make me FEEL young. Thanks Sandi and crew.Keep up the good work.
From Liisa T.
LynnT@2 wrote
on Feb 18, 2008 5:25 PM
I am 60 years old and NOT your best figure shape...pear maybe? I would not hesitate to make any of these sweaters with the help of the comments and the visuals the models make. Thanks. Lynn T.
RosyH wrote
on Feb 16, 2008 9:31 AM
LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the printed silk cardigan!! It looked good on every single one of the models, even though they all were different shapes and sizes! MUST. MAKE. THIS. CARDIGAN!! :D
NiekB wrote
on Feb 16, 2008 4:09 AM
I love the galleries, and love the idea of Amy S. to let someone knit a bigger size. it would help a lot of people who seem to have problems visulizing things. Love the humor inSandi's comments.
I agree with Helen S. totally, she is obviously more eloquent than me, but the first thing i thougt looking at the galleries was not: where are the big girls. (i am one, i don'tcare if there are no big girls) but waht i noticed was : pleas buy a better bra, you will look younger, slimmer and better proportioned. Try a bra with a slimmer size but a bigger cup. Usually women wear the wrong size.
Sorry for being blunt, i do not mean to offend. It's just that so many women could look so much better with a better bra, so please invest some love and money and time in yourself. you deserve it, you are beautiful.
greetz, Niek
AmyS@2 wrote
on Feb 15, 2008 8:53 PM
If you're still reading comments on this subject, I have an idea. What if IK solicited a volunteer, from this passionately interested community, to knit a plus size sample once in awhile? IK could provide the yarn and some mild inducement (a year's free subscription, a chance to model, a promise that you'll never have to model, whatever) and then you could do a Gallery. Sort of like Lisa Shroyer's CPH. I feel certain that someone in this group would be interested in doing the knitting once in awhile! How about it, Sandi?
LisaB wrote
on Feb 15, 2008 5:04 PM
I'd gladly check Ravelry for galleries, if I could get off the waiting list. ;-)
Happygoo25 wrote
on Feb 15, 2008 4:22 PM
HELLO! For those of you who don't understand positive and negative ease, these have been mentioned in clear detail in previous posts. I suggest that you do a search on this site for fit and many different past posts will surface. I agree that this is great to see different people wearing the same garment. I also like the idea of the photo on the left witht he description on the right. It will make it easier to navigate the page.

Thank you Sandi for such a good post!
KristenH wrote
on Feb 15, 2008 1:11 PM
After reading the comments, I feel I have to add this (though I'm hesitant to enter the fray): Go Linda R! I'm also a plus size and agree with you completely. There's only so much work that can be done with a single sample sweater and I think we can get a good idea of what it will look like on various sizes given the models used. No, the model's sizes were not published in the Spring IK, HOWEVER, if you look ease was published so you can do the math to get the model's bust size. (That is, if the sweater listed is a 36" bust and the notes indicate 2" postive ease, that means the model has a 34" bust.) I noted that not all the patterns listed ease, but I appreciate the direction you are going with adding ease to the pattern notes. Keep up the good work!
GenieC wrote
on Feb 15, 2008 1:03 PM
Helene, IK provides patterns for larger sizes. For the spring issue, most patterns include bust sizes of 50" or more. The smallest bust size is for the Auburn Camp Shirt at 45 3/4".

To adjust patterns for larger sizes, the best advice was here on Knitting Daily, Lisa Shroyer talking about sizing up her Central Park Hoodie http://www.knittingdaily.com/posts/cardigans_jackets/299-1.html

Her posts show that you need to know your own body (and some math!) No one magazine or website can give every single adjustment that will make the pattern fit every single reader. We all have different bodies and shapes. That's why the Galleries are so cool.

As for samples, I agree with Rhonda. Readers should be realistic about what magazines can and can't do. If you must see the pattern knitted in a larger sample, Ravelry is the place.
KristenH wrote
on Feb 15, 2008 12:59 PM
I just wanted to say THANK YOU again to all the women who so graciously volunteered to be models! It's a brave act to post your measurements online and one that helps the rest of us a lot. So, grazie, danke, k?sz?n?m, spasibo, merci, tak, etc.!
Lynette wrote
on Feb 15, 2008 12:48 PM
Sandi,
I love the galleries, but something was missing from this one ... YOU! It tells me the most when I see you in something and see the others in it. Then I get a better idea of how I should adjust it to fit me. PLEASE return to your modeling career. Keep up the GREAT work ... and THANKS!
Tayosmom wrote
on Feb 15, 2008 11:46 AM
Hi Sandi, I am loving these Galleries! They are great for revealing more information about how a pattern really fits on various body types. If Interweave will have a booth at Stitches next week how about having people stop by to try on sweaters and be photographed for a Stitches Gallery series? I wouldn't even mind giving up my bust measurement for a chance to try on some of these sweaters ;-)
Candace
LisaC wrote
on Feb 15, 2008 7:47 AM
Could somebody rework the sloch cardigan into a v-neck pullover. I am considering it but i am too much of a novice knitter to wing it alone
LisaC wrote
on Feb 15, 2008 7:47 AM
LisaC wrote
on Feb 15, 2008 7:47 AM
JoP wrote
on Feb 15, 2008 6:03 AM
It would be great to have one model for each body type, more or less. What about people with small busts and big hips? What's out there for them?
Just a suggestion...
knittingbox wrote
on Feb 15, 2008 2:45 AM
Sandi, I find your comments on the real women models so helpful, and have noticed your comments often relate to the height of the model. Do you think you could give us that info along with the bust size. I know sometimes you do. That's how I know I'm pretty close to Debbie's height.
Thanks again for this fabulous feature.
HELENED wrote
on Feb 15, 2008 1:15 AM
I suggest that in publishing one of the future issues,a proper fitting sample and pattern be provided to suit the larger sized viewers. I know that I would appreciate the help in making something that fits properly. Perhaps an indication of approx. how many stitches should be added to fit every 5-10 inch difference on the crucial body areas - bust, waist & hips - and approximately where to begin making the adjustments would help the viewer that has trouble adjusting patterns?
Helene
Rhonda wrote
on Feb 15, 2008 12:47 AM
I have to also put in my two cents to those who are indignant about only seeing one sample knitted -- you really need to be realistic about timelines and the work it takes to put a pattern and sample together for publication -- it is exceedingly rare to see more than one sample knitted, and that is usually by independent designers who can rely on a circle of friends to do them a huge favour by making them. I reiterate what others have said -- Ravelry is where you will find these elusive samples of other sizes. If you have to put off knitting the sweater yourself for a month or two until you see some other samples, so be it. It is not the job of Sandi or the others at IK to make one in every size (and as others have requested in the past, even in substitute yarns.) C'mon people! You were all recently encouraged to be fearless knitters! Sometimes you will make something that isn't perfect. Sometimes you will have to frog it and make it again (or not.) You will always learn something valuable. If you aren't fearless enough to jump in with both feet, then you will have to be patient enough to wait for others who were.
LisaS@3 wrote
on Feb 14, 2008 5:31 PM
Thank you so much for these galleries! I know I want to make the Printed Silk Cardigan for sure now!
Wendy wrote
on Feb 14, 2008 5:26 PM
I love the Flutter Sleeve Cardigan, and was planning to make it for myself. I think that the sweater is beautiful on most of the models, which is even more heartening. However, there's one fitting issue I noticed - that Sandy didn't comment on - that gives me pause: on several of the models, the sweater "gaps" at the buttonholes, creating holes where there shouldn't be any. Is there any buttonhole or other technique (other than making tiny buttonholes and using tiny buttons) that could prevent this unsightly situation?
YavannaR wrote
on Feb 14, 2008 4:26 PM
I love having the sweater gallery, it really helps to see it on a lot of different girls. And the suggestions for how to changes the shape as needed is great!

Now that I got to see more photos, I'm actually surprised that I changed my mind on which sweaters I really liked. I originally really liked the Mirabella, but now I don't think it would be the most flattering style for me, based on my body type. Contrastly, I didn't think the Flutter Sleeve Cardi was for me, but now I think I could totaly rock it! Thanks so much! Can't wait for this mag to be out on the newsstands!
Arachne wrote
on Feb 14, 2008 2:55 PM
This sweater gallery is fabulous! I must have the printed silk cardi! This feature has made me more fearless about altering patterns by giving me clear, usable knowledge about fit, figure flattery and style. Yours in yarn, Sandra
HeatherR@2 wrote
on Feb 14, 2008 2:54 PM
I just wanted to echo something the first (and perhaps some subsequent) poster mentioned. How do we determine if we are short-waisted, narrow-shoulder-ed, long-torso-ed, etc. compared to, say, Bertha or another size "standard," so that we can make these decisions about changing shaping, the hem, adding short rows, and so on? Thanks for an incredibly helpful post.
Elizabeth wrote
on Feb 14, 2008 2:46 PM
Sandi,Thank you so much for all the information on making these sweaters fit. I am 5'10,broad shoulders large frame with a 40" bust (flat chested!), long waisted, long arms. I have no idea how to begin making all the alterations that I would need to make such fitted garments. I second Kitty who asked how to figure out vertical placements. And how do I do it without the finished garment? If I were to make one of these garments, I woud have to hire a teacher with a seamstress background to figure out how to get it to fit me. Makes me tired just to think of it. The sweaters are beautiful and fashionable but how about one project that's just pretty simple in an issue?

The printed silk cardigan is really beautiful, but I would never put so much money into a garment that I had little confidence would fit me.

Thanks for all the info, Sandi. It's helping me to figure out how to knit to fit, my biggest problem.
SaraR wrote
on Feb 14, 2008 2:32 PM
Sandi, this is the most useful gallery ever. Your comments are incredibly insightful, and provide so much direction as to how each sweater might be tweaked to accentuate the positive of each model's body type. I also love the range of ages shown by the Gallery Galz -- you've proven that you don't have to be 22 to look good in these sweaters.

Of course having multiple samples in different sizes would be amazing, but I understand that it's probably an unrealistic request, given the time constraints of each issue (seeing photos of sweaters in dramatically different sizes is what Ravelry is for, people!). But we can dream, can't we? Sandi, thank you for all your hard work -- it is much appreciated!

One request: is there any possibility we could get a similar gallery with sweaters from the next issue of Interweave Crochet?
PatriciaC wrote
on Feb 14, 2008 2:22 PM
Thanks again for the galleries! I really enjoyed and learned from your comments on fit and shaping. It was also neat to see how one sweater seemed to really 'pop' on a model whereas the other ones on the same model were nice, but didn't stand out.
AnneO wrote
on Feb 14, 2008 1:43 PM
can i get the printed silk cardigan pattern online??
Jan_texas wrote
on Feb 14, 2008 1:39 PM
These pieces on sizing what you knit are so helpful. I've sewn for years and fitting is always the issue, but I've never seen as much info for getting knits to fit right. I second the motion about seeing them on plus-sized women. Thanks so much!
MelissaB@3 wrote
on Feb 14, 2008 12:57 PM
Thanks for the new galleries! I love this feature. What happened to Katie though? She was my exact size. LOL.
SusanH wrote
on Feb 14, 2008 12:55 PM
Wow, these galleries are like taking a Master's Course in knitting. Thanks to all - Sandi,the models, everybody! I am endlessly fascinated by those patterns that seem to look super on all the models. For this set of three that would have to be the Printed Silk Cardigan. The other two were especially nice on a few of the women, but really seemed to require more tweaking per person. Yet, somehow the Printed Silk Cardigan look great on everyone and while some tweaking might make it spectacular, it was not usuall necessary. Patterns like that are magic.

By the way, is Laura a professional model? She seems to have that certain aura.
DianaP wrote
on Feb 14, 2008 11:37 AM
Dear Sandi- Thank you for the Wonderful galleries this week, they were very helpful and the models looked great in all of the cardigans! I can't wait to make the Flutter Sleeve Cardigan, but after reading your comments about fitting for the models I realized that I am in a bit of a sizing predicament.I am 5'3" and I have a bust of 38" but my hips are only 34" (35" over jeans with pockets), not to mention the 10" difference between my waist and bust. To chose the right size of cardi to fit my bust would mean knitted wings flapping around my hips! But if I chose a size to fit my hips the buttonholes wouldn't stand a chance... So my question is: how can I adjust one of the sizes so that it fits nicely at the hips but still has room for "The Girls"?

Thanks!

Diana P- in Toronto
Denny wrote
on Feb 14, 2008 11:04 AM
I love the flutter sleeve sweater, but I have a question and a comment. Was the same sweater tried on each model? I don't like the way the buttonhole gapes open in the full frontal photo.
JudyL wrote
on Feb 14, 2008 10:53 AM
The galleries are awesome! It really does help to see how the sweater works on different shapes. And Sandi, your commentary was extremely useful. Thank you! I like many of the others who have commented have a less than girlish figure and I am also a bit older so I worry about things that might look to young on me. Having said that, I love all of the cardigans in the issue and do intend on making at least one of them. Your comments here on how to tailor to various body styles was extremely helpful. One thing I would like to know, is how to tailor the sweaters to not gap in the front over the hips. Some seem to be designed to be open, but I think on my mature figure, that would not be flattering. My thought was to check the hip measurement and knit the sweater to have an inch or two of positive ease through the hips. I would appreciate any advice in this area. Thanks!
Fuzzycakes wrote
on Feb 14, 2008 10:33 AM
LOVE the galleries! What a great resource this continues to be. Often a picture really does say it all.
Roxane M wrote
on Feb 14, 2008 10:26 AM
I LOVE your photo gallery of the same sweater on different people! In particular the Printed Silk cardi looks better to me now than it does in the magazine.
TobyS wrote
on Feb 14, 2008 10:20 AM
What strikes me the most about each top is how critical the placement of the waist shaping is. On Flutter Sleeve I personally feel there is one best place (as on Laura), but on Printed Silk I love the way it looks on Sarah and on Bertha - two totally different looks. I was also surprised that I liked many of the photos that had 1-2 inches of ease.

Also, I'll voice my 'counter' opinion and say, I'm tall and slender and quite happy with the new models in the magazine.
Leah wrote
on Feb 14, 2008 10:15 AM
The only site/mag that consistently uses "real" women to model that I know is Knitpicks, which I greatly appreciate because it gives a better sense of how a garment is going to look like when it isn't on a tiny model in a controlled environment with special lighting.

For all those who still seems concerned, I have to ask, do you ever deviate from the pattern? I have been knitting a whopping 2 years and in the midst of my first fair-isle project and am making several modifications including adjusting the armscye shaping, shifting the pattern shaping a whole inch, changing the length, figuring out how to do a stranded horizontal bust-dart then revert back to knitting in the round. Phew! I am making the smallest size for this pattern and I am a size 8. In short people, you have have to make changes, change is good, do not fear making changes. I totally agree with Linda R. If I only bought clothes in catalogues that were modeled by short, 140 pound asian women with a 36 inch bust and 40 inch hips, I wouldn't have much of a wardrobe.
Cinders wrote
on Feb 14, 2008 9:58 AM
Thanks for showing us the lovely ladies in the gallery. But PLEASE can you get someone to knit a larger size so we can see a larger lady in the tops? These models are all slim.
DawnJ@2 wrote
on Feb 14, 2008 9:51 AM
I liked the printed silk cardigan the best. It looked to be wrinkled on the bottom. Is the yarn/cardigan able to be lightly steam ironed? Thanks! Dawn
RobinA wrote
on Feb 14, 2008 9:45 AM
Ugh!
LoriH@2 wrote
on Feb 14, 2008 9:41 AM
Sandi - this is the best article I have ever seen. Great job. Can you explain "positive ease" and how to get it? (who would want negative ease?)
Thanks, Lori H.
LindaR@4 wrote
on Feb 14, 2008 9:10 AM
It is getting to the point where I don't even want to read the Blog anymore!! Size, Size, Size!! I agree with Genie C's comments. I subscribe to the following and NONE of them show plus size very often, some NEVER: Vogue, Knitters, Knit Simple, Cast On, Knit n' Style, Creative Knitting and of course IK. I have been knitting for nearly 30 years and I AM PLUS SIZE. I wear a size 20! Never knew I had a problem until I started reading this blog. Get over it!! Sandi and IK I love you, please don't change. Love the galleries and the info with them.
KathieT wrote
on Feb 14, 2008 9:04 AM
Thanks again for the Galleries! The photos are so helpful in personalizing the patterns.
My long-waisted, small shouldered body always requires re-working and adjusting the pattern somewhat. The visuals, combined with your comments, are a encouraging reminder to match the pattern to our own body measurements for a really successful project. Thanks for the effort it takes to put together the Gallery!
Kathie T.
KatalinW wrote
on Feb 14, 2008 8:46 AM
Here's a note to those who complained that "there's nothing I would wear" in this issue and wondered whether it was worth buying. I think there's still a lot to learn from patterns that you don't want to knit "as is." You learn a lot about technique--how to solve various design problems. Sandi's sweater galleries add to their usefulness. This is how I learned about varying needle size to add shaping to a garment. Last summer I knit a simple t-shirt that looked baggy and shapless when I put it on. I didn't want to do decreases and increases because I thought they would detract from the look. Instead, I frogged back to just above the waist (I was knitting top down) and reknit the waist area on smaller needles. Voila--the garment acquired a subtle shape that was just what I wanted. This issue has a lot of sweaters that use ribbing to add shape to a garment--another item to add to my bag of tricks. I might never knit any of the sweaters in this issue--but parts of these sweaters are sure to show up in garments I knit in the future!
LizW wrote
on Feb 14, 2008 8:35 AM
Echoing every one else so far who has commented - I can't believe how helpful the Galleries are!!! Thank you so much!!!!

One thing that didn't get pointed out in the comments, but that I think makes quite a bit of difference: the shorter models (Debbie and Trish, particularly) have very narrow shoulders. I'm sensitive to this, being a short, short-waisted, short-armed, narrow-shouldered person (with a figure quite like Debbie's, actually - I think you've found a twin!).

This is apparent in some of the patterns more than others: on the Printed Silk Cardi, making this for myself OR for Debbie or Trish, I would absolutely try to make the shoulders narrower - you can see how the wide neckline slips off their shoulders, making the sweater look less crisp. The Flutter, not having shoulder seams, doesn't have this issue, and the sweater looks great on both of the shorter models!

Just a small comment, since I think the comments given are right on, but a lot of attention should be paid to that neckline fit, as well.

Thanks again Sandi, tech crew, and especially the Gallery Gals! We love you!!!!!

- Liz W
MichaelaJ wrote
on Feb 14, 2008 8:20 AM
Ooh, I love the Printed Silk and Flutter sleeve cardigans!
MARYS wrote
on Feb 14, 2008 8:16 AM
I do love this cardigan, I'd knit it for myself. I noticed that it looks somewehat wrinkled, do all silks give that appearance. Not to be crude but perky breast do seem to make a difference or maybe we need better under garments. Darn that sounded like my Mom. Gee her words are coming true. can,t wait to see the rest.
GenieC wrote
on Feb 14, 2008 8:13 AM
I'm curious. How do any of you complaining about the sizes ever decide what to make? No one shows patterns on various sizes. Not Knitty, not Rowan, not Vogue Knitting. Not Patons or Berocco or Lion's Brand. And almost all use professional models (knitty I think being the exception) to show the the sample. It is a blessing seeing the pattern on different women, no one else does it. So how do the people complaining ever find anything to knit if you must see it on someone who looks exactly like you first?
HelenS@4 wrote
on Feb 14, 2008 7:50 AM
Thank you for all of the alteration suggestions. One of my big fears about knitting sweaters was that I would do all of the knitting which I would enjoy but I would come out with something that wouldn't look good on me or just didn't fit. My mother's knitting was always beautiful but it never fit very well. One suggestion that I have for some of the models. A good rule of thumb is that the fullest part of your bust line should fall around the middle of your upper arm. Your models are beautiful and look like real women. It is sometimes not easy to find a good bra that fits and is comfortable but it is worth the time and effort. It also enhances how you look especially in a sweater!
Kelli wrote
on Feb 14, 2008 7:13 AM
I love, love, love this post! So much information makes me feel so much more fearless about casting on for one of these lovelies! Thank you thank you thank you!
Psketty wrote
on Feb 14, 2008 7:01 AM
I greatly appreciate seeing the sweaters on real people, and reading the comments on how to adjust the pattern to make it personal for that wearer. Please don't get me wrong. I love seeing them on the models, too, but I don't have a model's figure. I know I pass over patterns that would work for me, if only I knew what and where to tweak it for me. The commentary has opened my eyes on how to do this. Thank you for helping me become a better knitter!
TanaP wrote
on Feb 14, 2008 6:45 AM
I'm not following your logic on doing less darts for more curvy gals and more for less curvy gals.

I'm a 40-30-40 and I would add more darts in order to get a good fit. If I didn't, either it would be too big in the waist or too small at the bust/hips (though the former is more forgiving if I had to choose between the two). On someone with milder curves, trying to add curves with darts isn't the best idea either, unless they like having ruffles at the hips and sloppiness in the bust.

Bottom line, you need to know your measurements and adjust the curves of the sweater to fit so you get a similar amount of ease in each area. Then it shows off your curves nicely.

And yes, the dart needs to end 1" before your nipple, but you can change the dart to accommodate that - either start sooner or decrease the intervals between inc/dec.
Bonnie wrote
on Feb 14, 2008 6:43 AM
Great work, Sandi! Thank you so much for these galleries.

If I were you, I'd be feeling a little overwhelmed--seems the more you do for us, the more we want!!!

I agree with those who would like to see these and other IK designs on larger women. To me, these particular sweaters look best on the thinner women. Thiks is the second issue of IK in a row where, though I thought some of the designs were very pretty, none would be flattering on me. This issue in particular is very girlish.

How difficult would it be to have two samples, one small, one large, knit for each design?
SusanD@2 wrote
on Feb 14, 2008 6:12 AM
I love the sweater gallery idea and all your tips for customizing the pattern. I do have a suggestion for the layout of the gallery: instead of two pictures then comments below, would it be possible to have picture in left column with comments right next to the picture? I find myself scrolling up and down to match the comment to that section of the pictured sweater. [No one else has commented on this, so maybe it's my smaller screen that makes this necessary for me].
Shorespinner wrote
on Feb 14, 2008 5:50 AM
I like the gallery idea and wish some of the same information was in the magazine. The finished bust size of the sweater is shown in the magazine, but no mention is made of the bust size of the model it is shown on. I have two suggestions about the spring gallery. First, could you give the height of the model, so that when you talk about someone being tall, we get an idea of how tall that person is. Second, please, please, please show some of these on larger women with busts over 40 inches and real curves. None of the sweaters in the issue struck me as something that I could wear because they seem to be designed for very young, very slim girls (not women). And I will be so glad when the empire waist fashion goes away! It only makes me look pregnant, and those days are over, thank you very much!
VickiJ wrote
on Feb 14, 2008 4:26 AM
Love the galleries. Lots of info to be gleaned from the comparisons even tho these gals don't come close to my size/shape. Even more wonderful info from Sandi's comments. Can't tell you how much difference it makes to my understanding and (thanks to you) growing knitting skills.

Just an FYI for those looking for definitions of negative ease, or any other term that shows up that they don't understand. Throw the term into the search box at the top of the page and take a few minutes to read what comes up. Most often you will find the info you are looking for. Plus it is an excuse to read the posts you missed or re-read the wonderful information Knitting Daily contains. Thanks Sandi, keep up the great work.
JulesG wrote
on Feb 14, 2008 4:11 AM
These are gorgeous! Thank you Gallery Galz for making this true for the readers. It's wonderful to see you all in those pictures.
And thanks to your patience in wearing the garments and taking the pictures I could persuade a friend to try a knitted pullover (Printed Silk Cardigan) this spring. Needless to say, I'll be knitting it for her.
My friend just loves how it looks on Sarah - and they both are about the same size and look.

THANK YOU ALL!
KarenB@2 wrote
on Feb 14, 2008 3:11 AM
I loved the spring gallery--the comments really helped me to understand that changing a sweater pattern to fit ME isn't all that complicaterd and I will probably be happier with the end results. After viewing the gallery I can't wait to get into my closet with my measuring tape to try to figure out my best fit.
Chandra wrote
on Feb 14, 2008 2:41 AM
My word, people, give Sandi and IK a break! They have only one sample per pattern, and it's around a 36" bust!!! Sandi is a goddess, but even she can't work miracles and make a 36" bust sweater fit a 46" bust.

The models are all different sizes and none of them are perfect professional model proportions. With a bit of imagination - c'mon, you're all knitters, you do have some, don't you? - you can extrapolate how it might look on you.

I appreciate the time and effort Sandi and her team put into this. Thanks, everyone!
Sweetpea16 wrote
on Feb 14, 2008 2:01 AM
I like seeing the patterns on different models, but I agree with the others here that I'm disappointed to see nothing but 'tiny' models this time. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one with a 46-32-46 measurement out there. I doubt that those cardis, beautiful as they are, would look good on someone like me/us...
Cheers Eva
GinaD wrote
on Feb 14, 2008 1:15 AM
A BIG Thank You, once again for the brave models!!! You are really helping us understand tailoring a sweater to fit our REAL selves by doing this. I appreciate it so very much. :-D
knittingbox wrote
on Feb 13, 2008 11:52 PM
Thank you so much for your comments on the Mirabella. I am learning so much from you through this series. THANK YOU SANDI! And All the MODELS, too OF COURSE!!

Adding these kinds of helpful comments to the Gallery, makes this the greatest thing evah!
knittingbox wrote
on Feb 13, 2008 11:46 PM
I've had zero computer access for a week so you are benefiting from that with my extra chattiness (although I realize you may not find it a benefit).

I've only looked at the first sweater in the gallery so far, and I can say I like the way it looks in those pics far more than I did in the mag itself. However, the models all seems to be on the small side in the breast department. Yes, one, a 37, is arguably not, but there were many in the low 30s. Does anyone know what size the typical IK reader is? Typical American? Or will the differences that seem atributable to ethinic/racial background skew those kinds of numbers to the point of uselessness?
knittingbox wrote
on Feb 13, 2008 11:42 PM
I really like that you are giving helpful modification ideas in the sweater gallery section. I am so very happy about this part of KD, and VERY HAPPY about the sizing info given in the mag. too. Thanks!
LisaY wrote
on Feb 13, 2008 11:40 PM
Everyone looks great...but there really need to be TWO sample sizes - a second one ten inches bigger, maybe...I'm a little grumpy as a subscriber because NOTHING looks like it will look good on anyone over the 36" size, even with adjustments. I didn't need to pay $7+ for a sock pattern...stuff like this makes me re-think subscribing instead of buying issue by issue.
knittingbox wrote
on Feb 13, 2008 11:35 PM
I'm on Ravelry quite a bit, so I saw the Spring Preview quite a while before getting the mag. itself (I subscribe). Well, it felt like quite a while, at least. Anyhow, I think becaue of seeing the preview and reading so many opinions on it that it really ruined my enjoyment of the magazine itself. I found myself completely bored flipping through it and that's never happened before. I'm one of those types who can happily go back and look at IK issues of a year or two ago (that's as far back as my collection goes, or I can assure you, I'd be going back further in my rereading).

Worst of all it made me feel like there were ver few patterns in the mag. But I counted and discovered it wasn't very far off from other issues.

and I'm a shawl knitter, so there were definitely a couple of things I would like to make (although probably less things in this issue than in any other, but that could change too, in time.)

Anyhow, that's my 2 cents about the downside of having those previews up when there's a community like Ravelry. Next time I'll try to wait for my issue.
KateC wrote
on Feb 13, 2008 11:17 PM
Thank you so much to all the models. I think you are all brave and kind to let us see what it looks like on real (non model) bodies and to have Sandi add comments.None of you are as zaftig as I am (and only Trish is as short), but I can get a much better idea of whether I would look good in a pattern by studying the gallery.
Kate
KateC wrote
on Feb 13, 2008 11:16 PM
Kate
CGJ wrote
on Feb 13, 2008 10:16 PM
I really like this cardigan, but.... I dislike the gaping buttonholes. And the only picture which does not show this is Bertha. And I am way bigger than her. LOL My bust size if 40/42 and that make changing the pattern quite a bit. When finished I did not get the fit I wanted so to the frog pnd it went and I am not sure I can go through the same thing. Can you help?
Bennie-RuthD wrote
on Feb 13, 2008 10:07 PM
Sorry Sandi,the ladies are lovely, but the garments are still for the smaller more shapely - some of your wonderful ladies look great, and some don't - it's the garments, not the ladies. These pattens are for the few, not the many.

Bennie-Ruth Dean
MicheleB wrote
on Feb 13, 2008 9:40 PM
That Printed Silk is just gorgeous, and I hope it will still be gorgeous when I knit it in something less expensive!

It's really helpful to have all the comments in the gallery. Now to apply the ideas to my short, short-waisted, not sylph-like self!
AmyJ wrote
on Feb 13, 2008 8:44 PM
Thanks for the galleries - so great to see what it looks like on different shapes. How do you tell what fit is best when knitting a sweater that hasn't been in the gallery?
SaraH@2 wrote
on Feb 13, 2008 8:35 PM
After reading the galleries, I can see how imperative it is to "know thyself" - it's easy to see that a waist ribbing or bustline should be moved up or down a bit when a completed sweater is on a model, but I struggle with visualizing those changes for my own body shape. Definitions of "high/low waisted" etc. would be helpful. Also, are the published designs made to fit a standard measurement or ratio? Or does each designer come up with her own happy medium?
conib wrote
on Feb 13, 2008 8:20 PM
I can't see where Sandi's comment about Sarah's "mountains" (??) in the Mirabella Cardigan made any sense at all -- I guess you had to be there ???
mljan wrote
on Feb 13, 2008 8:14 PM
While I agree with those who would like to see larger models, I understand that you have only the one sample. That aside, this is terrific work, Sandi, so helpful. While I don't quite understand some of the "dart" comments, I am beginning to get the kinds of things I should look at in thinking about whether and how to knit a sweater. Thank you so much.
ZoeG wrote
on Feb 13, 2008 8:10 PM
Thank you for creating the sweater galleries! They are a great acknowledgment that women of different sizes can pull off the same style, and at the same time the galleries provide a tutorial about how to design for your body type. And not all sizes and styles work together, so I appreciate your gentle honesty about that. I am inspired by the models' willingness to have us look at them and deconstruct the fit of the sweaters--these galleries really brought out the beauty in each woman.
LindaF wrote
on Feb 13, 2008 8:07 PM
Oh, that Printed Silk Cardigan is at the TOP of the list even before I can get my hands on the issue. And I the cost of the yarn will not deter me from making this. I love to wear my sweaters this way. I noticed that were no busties in this gallery, but I think the sweater will work anyway. Thanks to the models and to you Sandy for your hard work in putting this out.

Did I mention that I love the Printed Silk Cardie and want it now!!
SharonR wrote
on Feb 13, 2008 7:50 PM
Where da big girlz at?

Seriously, I love the Galleries but we need to see Sandi and other generously endowed women!
on Feb 13, 2008 7:47 PM
Its hard to express how fabulously helpful this post is! Thank you thank you thank you!
on Feb 13, 2008 7:47 PM
LindaF wrote
on Feb 13, 2008 7:36 PM

Did I mention that I love the Printed Silk Cardie and want it now!!
SharonH wrote
on Feb 13, 2008 7:35 PM
Another hourglass here with 14" difference between my waist and hips. I pretty much know how to adjust sweaters for my body, but I was hoping to see one of these open-on-the-bottom sweaters on someone with a tummy. I have a hard time believing that my tummy sticking out through my sweater would be appealing and there's so many in this issue.

I know the sample only comes in one size, but there's not a wide variety of body-types in the galleries, more just variations on a theme.
lodigr wrote
on Feb 13, 2008 7:34 PM
I agree completely with Mary S and Nancy G. What would those garments have looked like on a 46" chest? Nice try but I'm still not convinced this issue is worth buying.
CyndyS wrote
on Feb 13, 2008 7:16 PM
I am a new knitter and yes I am addicted. Can somebody explain negative and positive ease? also the white witch mitts I have hand size 8 how does one make mittens and gloves larger? cannot wait for the new issue. thanks a lot for the help. Cyndy
KathleenR@2 wrote
on Feb 13, 2008 7:13 PM
Thanks for doing the Gallery Series. They are a wonderful course in learning to see, learning to measure and learning to adjust.

Kathleen
AudreyD wrote
on Feb 13, 2008 6:44 PM
Jenny c,
Are we long lost twins? You have my measurements (actually I'm worse--40-29-42)! I agree that a lot of current fashion stuff doesn't seem designed for our build (seriously, try to find jeans with a 12 inch difference in waist and hips!) My suggestion is to give some of these garments a try. I say this from years of working out of 'vintage' knitting patterns, that did have our alluring hourglass shapes. Thankfully, flat-chested toothpick hasn't always been the 'sexy' look, so comb through your fashion history and see what people were wearing when your body type was 'in!' (Us hourglasses are all over the '40s, and the small chested but perhaps not slim waisted type was classic Empire.....)

Empire waists look terrific on a variety of figure types, and a lot of garments in this issue are designed with an open or loose bottom, which looks terrific even with a bit of a tummy (MUCH better than sweater s-t-r-a-i-ning over your hips or waist!) I got my copy today (thanks, borders!!) and it really is worth a look. I do wish they'd give a bit more 'conformity' information in yarn size for those of us who simply *must* substitute yarns, just like a "DK" or "Sport" or something to give me a hint before I start Swatchorama....
LauraW@2 wrote
on Feb 13, 2008 6:36 PM
Mirabella

First, let me say I like these better when I can see more pics (as opposed to just looking in the magazine at 1-2 photos).

I have some other ideas about how to change this for some of the women:

Sarah: I love how short it is on her and how you can see her jean waist. Is it out to show a little skin there?

For Debbie: I'd unbutton or leave 3 buttons off all together. I think it would be pretty if it "v'd" out on her.

Toni: I'm not a fan of long sleeves under short, so why not just make long sleeves on this? I think it would be elegant.

It looks pink on Bertha and peach on everyone else. I wonder what color it is in real life?
JennyC wrote
on Feb 13, 2008 6:23 PM
what a great idea, but such a shame that the sizes are all knit for these smaller girls. I;m only 22 and would love to wear these flattering (on the models) designs but with measurements of 40, 30, 39 will no one ever design for me :(
LauraW@2 wrote
on Feb 13, 2008 6:19 PM
I've just looked at the Printed Silk Cardigan so far. It looks great on all, but they all appear to have "wonderful figures." How will this look with my stomach, I wonder. I wish some larger women had tried it on. I love the idea of the gallery and I like looking at it and the pics, but if you have too many who "look good in everything" then you might as well use typical fashion models. Thanks for your hard work and good ideas though.
NancyG@4 wrote
on Feb 13, 2008 6:17 PM
I wish you'd include a few "bustier" models, as well - are all the women in your offices sylphs? 3 of the sizes the pattern for the Printed Silk Cardi, for instance, are over 40", yet your biggest 'model' is less than 38". (incidentally - love that pattern, but really wonder how many will be made as designed at a yarn cost of $175-$275.)
MaryS@5 wrote
on Feb 13, 2008 6:14 PM
I notice that none of the models were of a 'larger' size for any of the samples. My first thought on previewing this issue that all the designs would really drape and fit better on smaller sizes. It is the first issue in a while that I may not purchase because I do not feel that any of the designs would suit my rather 'pear' shape.
I do commend Sandi in her helping us all out in knitting for our realistic figures. Let's see Sandi in these sweaters (in the right size) and maybe I'll change my mind.
Thanks, Mary
GailW wrote
on Feb 13, 2008 6:14 PM
I just love this website. I bet alot of us dream of working in an office of knitters! The Printed Silk is great and I can't wait to knit it! PS - Sandy, your comments and sense of humor brings a smile to my face. I look forward to your emails.
CharlotteW wrote
on Feb 13, 2008 6:11 PM
Sandi, Thanks for all your comments on shaping and adjustments for different figures. I don't seem to get the vertical dart above the waist if you are big busted. If you knit from the bottom up, wouldn't you want to increase more for those girls to fit in?
Send special thanks to all the models. Great pictures.

on Feb 13, 2008 6:06 PM
Dumb question. I am not familiar with the terms 'negative' and 'positive' ease. I would love to understand them.
GwenB wrote
on Feb 13, 2008 6:04 PM
The galleries are VERY, VERY useful to show how the sweaters look on different body types and with different amounts of ease. Thank you so much for doing this!
AndreaR wrote
on Feb 13, 2008 5:58 PM
The Printed Silk Cardigan looks good on all the real models -- even the color. Was that on purpose, or is it a sweater that I MUST HAVE ON MY NEEDLES, NOW?
JanL wrote
on Feb 13, 2008 5:42 PM
I just love the galleries! It makes it so much easier to visualize how something might look on ME! Thank you!
AnitaM wrote
on Feb 13, 2008 4:31 PM
Wow, Sandi thankyou! That was such a comprehensive breakdown of all 3 cardis. I love all 3 patterns and your observations and ideas will definitely help me make each of them to suit my figure. I learn so much from these galleries. THANKYOU!
And, as always, thanks to the Gallery Galz - you all look gorgeous! :)
KittyT wrote
on Feb 13, 2008 4:12 PM
Gallery Gals, These sweaters look wonderful on you.

Sandy, your comments are very helpful, but how do I figure out whether I have a high waist or a long upper torso or any of the other length considerations. I've read your measurements posts, but I don't know how to determine vertical adjustments.

Thanks so much for your great posts.
Kitty Turner