Spring Knits Gallery, Part 2

Feb 14, 2008

Sarah, rockin' the Sylph

Today we have the second half of the Knitting Daily Galleries you voted for, showing garments from the Spring 2008 issue of Interweave Knits:

The Holly Jacket Gallery

The Sylph Cardigan Gallery

The Auburn Camp Shirt Gallery

As with the Flutter Cardigan, the Printed Silk Cardigan, and the Mirabella Cardigan, I have provided a bit of individual commentary for each of our Gallery Gals, as well as overall tips on sizing for each garment.

List of all Galleries

Toni helps Sarah button up the Auburn

Coming Up on Knitting Daily...

Questions, questions: Do you have a question about our galleries? Leave a comment! I'll be posting answers to your questions in upcoming issues of Knitting Daily.

In fact...did you know that your fellow commenters are brilliant, funny, and often have GREAT tips? Yup. True. Go ahead, read the comments. There's lots more sizing and fitting info there. Do you have feedback or a helpful hint? Leave a comment and let us all know!

Readers' Choice Awards: Last Day to Vote is Feb. 19th

Vote for your favorite Interweave Knits pattern! The top five will be published in a free Knitting Daily ebook next month, so let your voice be heard.

Sandi Wiseheart is the editor of Knitting Daily.

What's on Sandi's needles? Halfway through the second sleeve on the KD Secret Project. (I am truly grateful sometimes that humans do not usually come equipped with four arms.)

Comments

CindyL@2 wrote
on Mar 25, 2008 6:51 PM
did i miss the ebook with the readers choice awards?
Air.blueskys wrote
on Feb 25, 2008 1:53 PM
WHY NO NEW EMAILS FROM KNITTING DAILY?
Teri wrote
on Feb 21, 2008 8:02 PM
Cathy W,
Thanks for your response. I don't know anything about bust darts and it looks like there is probably a reason for that! I will look that up. I haven't knitted a sweater yet, but I think I'm about ready to try and your comments and these galleries are a huge help.
Thanks again!
ShirleyE wrote
on Feb 20, 2008 12:31 PM
Re: Poetry Contest Announcement

In answer, an original (not plastic) poem. My outraged muse just jumped on the keyboard. I hope knitting poets & poetic knitters will question even the playful, well-intended strangulation of poetry. Is this why poetry is dying?

TRY POETIZING TO PLASTIC

Now witness a sad day for poetry, that knitted lace of tongues.
Poetizing is a gossamer pursuit of holes yarned over.
But lately came interwoven rules to yield phrases all dense, o'er-felted.
Who dares now set our gauge to fifty words?
Magnetic? Ha! Junk, cutesy, plastic!
Unshackle words! Release the stitches of our muse!
CathyW wrote
on Feb 19, 2008 7:59 PM
Teri G,

Cup size is more of an issue for larger women - the standard assumes a B cup, and an A is not so different (in theory, about an inch) that it would affect anything but the most fitted tops. Sadly I have the opposite issue, so I'm not sure what advice to give you for the situation where the one inch makes a cute sweater into a lousy one.

For larger women, it's sometimes suggested to select a size based on the "high bust" (chest measurement right under the armpits) and make extra room with bust darts. This, I do know how to do, but can't fit the details into my 500-character limit. :)
Eharper wrote
on Feb 19, 2008 7:56 PM
Is it just me or is it the whole point that the sample garments aren't supposed to look perfect on all of the real models!? The galleries are supposed to help us decide which size to knit, so, if you see a model your size, and the sample looks too tight, then you will knit the next size up.

I'm really discouraged by all of the negative comments about these designs. This, and the last few issues have been the closest to my personal style yet. I have the longest interweave "to do" list I've ever had. I really hope these negative responses dont cause the magazine to go a different direction. It's the ONLY one out there I knit from, and that's beacause the designs are fresh and fashion forward. I would have spent $25 on this last issue if it had been a new book at my local yarn shop. Keep it up -- I love these beautiful designs.
Teri wrote
on Feb 19, 2008 7:22 PM
Thanks for the gallery. This is very helpful in demonstrating ease (I'm still a new knitter and learning new things all the time).

I have question about cup size. Should cup size be taken into consideration when determining ease? If so, any guidelines?
I have a 36 inch bust but only an A cup, so while my chest is rather full, my cup size is not. Should this figure into determining what ease I should work into a garment?
JudeM wrote
on Feb 19, 2008 6:43 PM
Um, I'm actually trying to post about the poetry contest, but I don't know how to do that. Anyway, I already have a question which the rules don't seem to answer: you can only use each word once, but does that apply to things like "the," "s," "-ing," "i," "a"??? Help, please. Thanks.
GraceJ wrote
on Feb 19, 2008 1:16 PM
What exactly does it mean when it says so-and-so is "long waisted"? Isn't the waist the narrowest POINT on the body? I am confused by this language... I think you are trying to say that the distance from waist to hip is longer than average. Or perhaps the distance from bust to waist is longer... but I can not be sure because this is not clear. Please clarify!

Then, when describing where to start the waist shaping in relation to this "long waisted" body, it would be helpful to meantion if the pieces are knit from the bottome up or the top down... that way I can visuallize the changes better if I don't yet have the magazine.

Oh yes... bust darts please! I need to modify these designs for my D cup!
Canoegirl wrote
on Feb 18, 2008 4:53 PM
Fascinating comments. I really enjoy looking at the galleries. I am finding, though, that seeing the sweaters on real people tends to make me want to make them. Usually I only find one or two patterns that I want to make, not six. I'm eagerly waiting for my copy to arrive.
Leah wrote
on Feb 18, 2008 8:30 AM
Just as an example of how different each of our perspeectives can be, I thought Sylph looked awkward on Sarah (tho she may consider modeling for IK on a more permanent basis because everything else looked great on her). It seemed too short for her body and that was only accentuated by the low-rise jeans. I LOVE her boots but if I were Sarah and making this for myself, I would lengthen the waist.
LindaK@3 wrote
on Feb 17, 2008 10:47 PM
I too love the galleries. I think the ability to see the sweaters on different body types (long waisted, pear shaped, rectangular, etc.) is very helpful. The suggestions on what to change for each of the models are also helpful.

I totally agree with the posts on bust darts. Garments ride up in the front because there isn't enough fabric to go over the bust. This is a life-long learning experience for me as nature has over abundantly endowed me in the bust department. I'm constantly adding bust darts to every garment I make for myself.

I have to say that I am not in favor of negative ease. Knits do stretch, that is true. However, a too tight sweater will distort the knit pattern whether it be stockinette or fancy cables. The models with negative look to me as if they don't have enough sweater to go around their bodies. I can see the buttonholes gaping, and the button bands turning into scallops rather than straight lines. That's always a sign of too little fabric. I agree that you can get away with much less ease with knits than you would with woven fabrics. I also think that the dreaded gaposis makes one look a little more "hoochie mama" than most of us want.

It also makes for an uncomfortable garment. I know, I have often tried to squeeze myself into commercially made garments where I didn't have quite enough fabric to go around the bust. The button band would lie flat if I didn't breath, but it gapped, or buttons constantly popped out of the buttonholes if I moved. I ended up constantly tugging at the garment or hunching over in the vain hope that the button wouldn't pop. Needless to say, those garments didn't get very much wear. I'd hate to put my very precious knitting time into something I wore twice and then hid in the back of the closet because it wasn't fun to wear.
on Feb 17, 2008 4:59 PM
This past October, I knit my wonderful husband of 20 years the Cobblestone pullover. He absolutely loved it, and it was the first sweater I ever knit that turned out just as I imagined it would. On February 9, we lost him very suddenly to a heart attack. one of the small comforts i keep returning to, is that we had his sweater placed in his casket with him. I can never thank you enough for how wonderful your patterns are. You all at interweave have given something very real to hold onto at this time. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Stacey Danner
CathyW wrote
on Feb 17, 2008 2:13 PM
For people wondering how to know where adjustments need to be made before they knit the sweater, I've got a couple ideas.

1) Look back at Monday's article about using your existing sweaters to help you knit - or go shopping and try on different styles; make notes about how they fit and how they don't.

2) You can use the schematic and cheap knit fabric to make a muslin of the garment and try it on - with enough pins you might not even need to sew it. If you'll forgive the (gasp) crochet content, there's instructions here.
ElsaX wrote
on Feb 17, 2008 11:59 AM
I do enjoy the galleries very much. A number of the comments made by Sandi about the fit is about things that you only find out after you've tried the garment on. How do you work out before you start knitting that you need to make this particular design an inch longer, raise the ruffle or so on?
Fliss wrote
on Feb 17, 2008 6:21 AM
Great gallery pictures as always - thank you. And the nicest bit is the gorgeous smiles from you all. Makes me feel all cosy! Fliss
JenniferS wrote
on Feb 16, 2008 8:14 PM
Sandi! You are looking awesome! It's really hard work to lose enough to drop that many inches! Congrats!
SharonR wrote
on Feb 16, 2008 8:11 PM
Congrats, Sandi! Great job! And thanks for the Galleries. :)
Rachel Ray wrote
on Feb 16, 2008 8:07 PM
Can I tell y'all how much I LOVE the galleries? I have similar measurements to one of your lovely models, and it is so helpful to be able to imagine what these garments might look like on me. One suggestion - could you list the models heights as well?

And Sandi, you look AWESOME - way to go!
knittingbox wrote
on Feb 16, 2008 6:27 PM
I love the sylph, so I'm so glad you showed it. And while I wasn't crazy about the Auburn in the mag, I loved it on all the gallery models.

The thing that I keep noticing, is that torso length seem to be as important as bust size, perhaps even more important. Do you think that could be a standard measurement given in the mag? I'm 5'2.75" so I'm very aware of how length affects fit.

And congrats to Sandi for losing all that weight! Not that you didn't look fabulous before!
on Feb 16, 2008 2:26 PM
Wow! The models are all lovely, but these garments don't flatter any of them. They just look ill-fitting to me.

I'm not anxiously awaiting delivery of my copy of this issue.
AnneC@2 wrote
on Feb 16, 2008 1:02 PM
This is so, so helpful. Since seeing the galleries I now have a better understanding of which ones will suit me (the Holly jacket, for one), and how to consider issues like ease. Thanks for a brilliant idea.
AnneC@2 wrote
on Feb 16, 2008 1:02 PM
SeattleAmy wrote
on Feb 16, 2008 12:28 PM
I'm surprised how much I like the black colors colors under the Sylph vs. the white under it! I would have never realized this if I hadn't seen all your "models"!
ElaineM@2 wrote
on Feb 16, 2008 11:32 AM
Your photo gallery is just great. The comments really help to adjust for a personal fit. Knitting daily is a great post. They are always informative and usually with a sense of humor. Great job!
Bsproat wrote
on Feb 16, 2008 11:10 AM
Like everyone else, I thank you for doing these galleries -- what a pleasure to see how the sweaters look on different sized/shaped women.

I'm wondering why only one model in the camp shirt gallery (Sarah) closed it with only one button, as it was shown in the magazine -- and she buttoned it much higher, which I found less flattering. I also notice that on everyone who buttoned it all/most of the way, it gapped between buttons -- even a little on Bertha! This is one of those times when the gallery helps by showing me that something that looked great in print, on the professional model, doesn't fare so well in real life. Useful info!
BarbaraH wrote
on Feb 16, 2008 10:36 AM
I really don't like the "sylph cardigan" on anyone but Bertha and on her it looks like something from the early 20th century. It's not one I would ever make
cfelten wrote
on Feb 16, 2008 9:36 AM
I've loved seeing all these sweaters on different body types and sizes. One thing I will say is that all of our clothing looks better when we wear proper fitting and supportive undergarments :)
EmilieL wrote
on Feb 16, 2008 9:00 AM
Thanks Sandi ! Please, please,please, always have Annie participate in the galleries... I am 32 inches in the bust area, and I am always concerned about the smaller size being too big for me... I am certainly not the only one in this situation, and, by the way,all of you, it doesn't mean we all are anorexic or on a strict diet or addicted to sports; we just have to live with the genes we were given, and being too small can be as much of a problem as being too big when it comes to clothes and knitting...

The long waist comments (Tony I think) also apply to me, so the galleries were twice the help for me this week. Thanks again ! They really make me more confident in my knitting, and they help me to better visualize the end result I am going to get when I knit a piece to fit my body.

As for the weight loss,Sandi, congrats ! You look awesome, as always, with that glow and energy of yours, but since it is supposed to be best for your heart and health, I am very happy for you !
KittyD wrote
on Feb 16, 2008 8:11 AM
I liked a few of the sweaters from this issue when it came, but so far I haven't seen one "real" person who looks good in any of the sweaters. This is a disappointment. I hope it won't be a trend for interweave.
SusanH wrote
on Feb 16, 2008 7:42 AM
I think the Auburn Camp Shirt looks best on Debbie, worn as an open, overshirt. In fact, I think the entire pattern would benefit from being converted to a flyaway style with only the top four buttons. My previous comment about a sweater looking best on Trish was for the Holly one -- I forgot the post was for the entire gallery, not just the first sweater I looked at.
MARYS wrote
on Feb 16, 2008 7:39 AM
Sandi, another great gallery. A thought for the knitter who is not sure how to adjust these patterns to fit correctly on there body, find a local yarn shop and be a good customer. They appreciate your continued business and might help you pick the correct size to knit with some adjustments for your body type. Even if your purchase time from them to adjust the pattern for you it is well worth it. We all put hard earned money and hard to find time into these projects and to have reaped no rewards is heart breaking. Know your body type, not every style is for every body. And we are seeing that from this gallery.
SusanH wrote
on Feb 16, 2008 7:33 AM
Funny how personal taste is so different. I wouldn't change anything if I were knitting the sweater for Toni. I think the way the collar sort of sits up is very nice and even more Audrey Hepburnish.
TSmith wrote
on Feb 16, 2008 6:32 AM
Love, love, love the galleries.
It is super of IK to present the sweaters on "real" people.

And, Sandy, nice job with the weight loss!
Happygoo25 wrote
on Feb 16, 2008 2:55 AM
I am petite and I am so happy that dropped shoulders are in the past. It is so nice to see fitted sweaters. I learn so much just by reading the patterns and I can apply that knowlegde to all of my other knitting projects. Thank you so much.
AnnaM wrote
on Feb 16, 2008 12:09 AM
I know I go on, but one more thing about the "riding up" factor, SHOULDERS! and how the sweater is "hung" from the model's shoulders. A LOT of fashion stylists don't take the trouble to settle the garment well on the model's shoulders--it often droops off, causing the neckline to spread, which draws up the center front line. And some models have quite wide shoulders (that's the reason clothes "hang" well on them), and with hand-knits, if things aren't placed well, that will distort the garment, especially the lovely snuggy ones. But does anyone wish we were back in the '80's with knit boxes and drop sleeves? Not I, said the little red hen!
AnnaM wrote
on Feb 15, 2008 11:54 PM
I agree with everybody about how helpful the galleries are! Thanks! I also agree with Gail that the Sylph is riding up on several models. One reason Bertha looks well in most of the garments is because she is standing still and straight, no pretty, sassy fun stuff, and she is a STANDARD SIZE! NONE of us are standard sizes, only those lovely girl-children who haven't done much living or child-bearing, or whatever.....but anyway, back to the "riding up" issue. Sandi love, those ladies need BUST DARTS made with short rows at the sides! The garments are not "hanging" correctly, and it shows. Bosoms in standard sizing are made for "B" cup ladies,( and many times that is a small B cup)--Most fuller bosoms need
length as well as width, and standard
sizing (which most good designers faithfully follow) does not allow for this fact. Another thing I disagree with just a tad is the waist position -- it can be flattering and more diminutive on a longish-waisted person to have the waist curve just a little higher than true, and the hips can flare a little sooner, for us "high hip fluff" ladies. I've just retired from a career in Couture-level dressmaking, and good fit is wonderful!
BarbaraM wrote
on Feb 15, 2008 10:50 PM
Okay, not sure WHY my copy and paste from the post I referenced did not come across. But here it is:

"Granted, we could not put these particular sample sweaters on a wide range of models--the biggest sample, the Mirabella, was 37", and there wasn't time to make a larger garment. We'll talk about the issues of sizing and shaping next week, when all the Galleries are ready for you."

Again, this what Sandy posted before any of the Galleries were up.
BarbaraM wrote
on Feb 15, 2008 10:45 PM
From all the negative comments that are popping up regarding the 'size' of the models selected for this gallery, I gather that people forgot what Sandy warned earlier in the "Peek behind the scenes" post. Here is her statement:

So ladies--CUT HER SOME SLACK!!!

Sandy, you rock and I appreciated all the work you do getting the galleries together.
AnneP@2 wrote
on Feb 15, 2008 9:54 PM
I don't mind a magazine full of sweet, thin, young thing patterns -- after all that is why there is chocolate and vanilla. Do us a favor though? Either start using size 14 models -- the average size woman in the US today -- or quit insisting that 'these sweaters look good on everyone!' They don't. No one garment does. And most of us are too intelligent and self aware to be anything other than insulted by such statements.
TashaP wrote
on Feb 15, 2008 9:33 PM
I really really love the galleries but....in the cases where the sweaters don't fit your models, you tell what you would do different - make the waist an inch shorter, shorten the hemline, etc etc. I guess for me it's easy to see those changes & agree when they have the garment on. How do you know that you'll need to do it for yourself before you start knitting? I'm an intermediate knitter but I can't picture what each step of my pattern is creating - sometimes I have to follow blindly. Any suggestions?
EmilyW wrote
on Feb 15, 2008 9:08 PM
I love the galleries! The Sylph cardi wasn't my favorite, but to my surprise, I thought it looked good on all the ladies in the gallery! Also, Debbie looks FABULOUS in the Auburn Camp Shirt! I love it open like that.
on Feb 15, 2008 8:39 PM
Thank you to all the models and Sandi for all your hard work.

Sandi, you look wonderful and congrats on your weight loss!!

Now, I just wish I was built like BERTHA!!
JuneP wrote
on Feb 15, 2008 7:49 PM
I love seeing all the tops on the models and would like to see more back views as well.
June
Denise~ wrote
on Feb 15, 2008 7:41 PM
I've got to say that the galleries are absolutely wonderful! They truly give me a better idea how a specific sweater would look on me when I can read the measurements of the models and compare. What an invaluable service! Thanks
mljan wrote
on Feb 15, 2008 7:22 PM
What a dilemma! Like another commenter, seeing the preview and galleries took much of the fun out of reading my IK. But I can see the benefit of showing the galleries early enough for the non-subscribers to be able to find the issue still in the stores.

Terrific coverage of these garments. I, too, was concerned that most of the styles were too young for me, but now, with some of the modifications discussed by you, I could see making more than one of them. And they all have design elements - darts, ribbing, shaped waists, etc. - that are new to me in knitting. I was especially enamored of the Sylph when I saw the side and back views on Sarah, which showed the beautiful shaping above the ruffle better than the front views. So I have to give a much higher rating to this issue of IK, purely because of knitting daily, Sandi, than I would have. This is just so immensely helpful. Why have none of the magazines done it? Perfect use of the internet community.
MissyL wrote
on Feb 15, 2008 7:20 PM
I thoroughly enjoy the sweater galleries. I gain alot of insight into fitting garments, I do not have a vast array of knitters around me to draw from. This is great help to me. Thank you for all your brave models. I love it, keep it up!
CherylD@2 wrote
on Feb 15, 2008 7:16 PM
I really appreciated this series on obtaining the proper fit. It emphasizes the importance of looking at more than just a bust measurement to determine size. Nice to see 'real women' in great fitting garments. Thanks!
GailD wrote
on Feb 15, 2008 7:08 PM
First gallery set where to my eye the sweater looks better on Bertha than on anyone else! Every sweater of the lot! Now that's a bit scary...
KellyN wrote
on Feb 15, 2008 6:18 PM
Woah Sandi, you are a fox! Congrats to you, as I'm sure it wasn't easy. As someone who has just taken off 30lbs herself, I know how delightful it is to see those knits look so flattering. BTW, I hadn't even considered the Slyph til seeing it on you. I can't wait to get my issue!!
Miss minerva wrote
on Feb 15, 2008 6:11 PM
Sandi - you look GREAT in general and fantastic in that cardi. We're nearly twins now in terms of upper body fit, so keep trying on those garments! funny, i'm a bit disappointed in the look of the holly cardi on other women, but completely taken by the sylph! i think i will make one of those instead (with the requisite adjustments - thank you so much for the notes on fit!!). please pass on to all the gals my sincere appreciation for their efforts!
CeciliaG wrote
on Feb 15, 2008 6:08 PM
I absolutely love the comment section at the bottom of the galleries - so invaluable and great information for those planning to knit the designs! :)
GraceS wrote
on Feb 15, 2008 6:02 PM
Thank you very much for the gallery and for all the extra thoughts and information. They have been extremely helpful. I feel like you guys are really listening to us via the comments and are working hard towards a positive change. I also appreciate the timing of the galleries so that we can have time to think about and knit the sweaters in time for the warmer weather.
E.L wrote
on Feb 15, 2008 5:33 PM
In the Sylph Cardigan, Sarah looks terrific, but the front appears to "ride up" a bit. Should it have enough "positive ease" so that the ruffle hangs straight all around? And is it designed so that the front panels are actually longer than the back?
AnitaM wrote
on Feb 15, 2008 5:14 PM
Wow! Great post yet again. And Sandi - you are looking FABULOUS!!! And I totally agree - the Sylph is my favourite too. It just couldn't be cuter. Thanks again to the Gallery Galz - beautiful as always. :)
QuinnP wrote
on Feb 15, 2008 5:14 PM
These galleries are phenomenal! Thank you for showing us how things look on real women (and Bertha) with real bodies!