A Cute Use For Sock Yarn: Free Lacy Hat Pattern

Mar 2, 2008

Katie Himmelberg, style editor of Knitscene and assistant editor of Interweave Knits, once again joins us as today's guest poster. Today, she talks about the her design process for Katie's Fountain Hat, our new free pattern, which was inspired by a beloved movie:

Katie wearing The Fountain Hat

I was so excited to do a movie-inspired project for our Spring staff collection. My husband and I watch quite a few movies, often at home, which is a perfect opportunity for me to get some multi-tasking done and knit along while we watch. We had recently rented The Fountain and the visuals were still fresh in my mind and inspired this hat.

The Fountain is a movie that's hard to describe and didn't get the greatest reviews, but I love it all the same. I was just as engrossed by the stunning cinematography and special effects as I was with the storyline. So this hat is a visual representation of what the movie looked like to me. The easy lace pattern uses just yarn overs and k2togs to form a starburst pattern that disintegrates into a field of dots--the three different pattern areas on the hat represent the three eras of the love story in the movie.

I was absolutely enthralled by this yarn. The molten honey gold shade, the smoothness of the merino; ShiBui Sock is a wonderful lightweight yarn that makes this hat perfect for a chilly day. It's also a nice use for sock yarn, a plus for someone like me who doesn't love to knit socks!

Bertha badly wanted to try on this hat...

Tips:

I used stitch markers to separate each chart repeat. It cuts down on the counting needed to follow the chart, and helped make my knitting go more smoothly. Marking the repeats doesn't work for every lace repeat, but it will for this pattern.

Try knitting this hat on a 16" circular needle. I love doing this as an alternative to dpns, though you do need to switch to dpns to shape the crown.

You can add elastic thread to the ribbing of the hat if you need a tighter fit. This is a good thing to remember if you're ever faced with a hat that is too loose or won't stay put!

by Katie Himmelberg
Assistant Editor, Interweave Knits
Style Editor, Knitscene

Sandi Wiseheart is the founding editor of Knitting Daily. She is now the author of the popular Knitting Daily blog: What's on Sandi's Needles.

Knitting Lace: Knitting Daily Presents 7 Free Knitted Lace Patterns

Are you addicted to lace knitting? Or maybe you've admired some of the gorgeous knitted lace patterns out there and want to give lace knitting a try? Here are seven of Interweave's top knitted lace patterns, gathered together in one FREE ebook for you.

Whether you are a first time lace knitter, or a seasoned expert, you'll enjoy the timeless beauty of knitting lace. Get these stunning projects that will continue to inspire, and be loved for generations to come. You'll want to make every one of these lace patterns, so download your free eBook now and get started (and don't forget to tell a friend so they can enjoy their own copy!)

Download Your Free Lace Patterns Today

Comments

GenevieveK wrote
on Dec 20, 2008 7:25 PM
I watched the movie several times just to look a the knitting. I found the movie "Hillary and Jackie" the same way. The beautiful Fair Isle work and the beach scenes make for a great knit in movie! Thanks for sharing!
Korie BethB wrote
on Apr 2, 2008 10:06 PM
I've found the jump from when the pattern is every other row to every row hard to adjust to. The star motif went well, but the fuzzies at the top aren't going as well. Is anyone else having the same problem.

Doesn't the chart repeat once and then you're done with the hat?
SharonS wrote
on Mar 29, 2008 12:55 PM
Help! Please tell me how many times to repeat the chart! I have read the pattern several times. I would like to know instead of guessing.
TheresaD wrote
on Mar 9, 2008 1:29 AM
Maybe your Adobe Version is outdated or possibly you have an older operating system and the two won't communicate. I recently had that problem saving my 2007 Microsoft Word homework and asking my 2003 laptop to read it. However,oI was able to open and print out the entire Fountain Hat pattern with 2003. Hope this can help Theresa D
on Mar 8, 2008 1:03 PM
I have had plenty of trouble with printing from downloads:
mitered heart sachet, Ultimate gift. white witch mittens, flip top mittens

all print a bout a page and 1/2, and hit some marker that stops the printing at about the top 15 page---?
KatieH wrote
on Mar 4, 2008 3:39 PM
PatD: I recommend what mom2goalies said-threading the elastic (fine elastic thread, not waistband elastic)through the back of the stitches after you complete the hat and find out it doesn't fit works great!

Bonnie-I think the model was wearing the smallest size with about 2" of ease. He was probably about 5'11". I'd recommend 2-4" of ease.
MistyE wrote
on Mar 4, 2008 2:40 PM
I loved this movie and I'm thrilled that it inspired this pattern. Thank you so much for providing yet another way for me to enjoy this film!
BonnieR@2 wrote
on Mar 4, 2008 1:26 PM
Hi Katie,
I love so many of your patterns. I am planning to knit your Organic Man sweater from the current Knit Scene. I haven't knit very many sweaters for men..can you tell me what size the model is wearing and what you recommend for ease on this project? Also, how tall is the model? Thank you!! Bonnie
Mom2goalies wrote
on Mar 4, 2008 12:09 PM
To Pat D: to use elastic thread - just knit with the elastic and the yarn at the same time, being careful not to pull the elastic as you are knitting. Or you can knit the banding and then weave the elastic thread through the back side of the stitches, also being careful not to pull it tight, just make sure it does not show through to the right side. I often do this with cuffs on sweaters.
AnnK@3 wrote
on Mar 4, 2008 12:02 PM
Instead of usign dp needles, use two circular needles. It is a fun way to knit.
PatD@2 wrote
on Mar 4, 2008 9:15 AM
Katie, You say in your Tips that elastic thread can be used to make the hat fit. How is that done? I have this trouble with hats.
Korinthe wrote
on Mar 4, 2008 8:14 AM
I have trouble printing all PDFs made with Microsoft Word -- and I think these are too, since the printer says the file is "such-and-such.doc", not .pdf -- but that's a problem with the drivers for my printer (Ricoh Aficio). The problems I have are just as the others describe, though; I get a few pages but not the whole pattern. Or the pictures come out fine but the font for the words is all wrong (as in, it's RUNES) or blank chars. Perhaps the font chosen by Interweave is not accessible to many people's printer drivers?
SharonV wrote
on Mar 4, 2008 7:42 AM
I love this hat! My small group and I are making hats for the homeless and we bored quickly with the ribbed caps, so this will make a nice change. Thanks Katie!
RebeccaA wrote
on Mar 3, 2008 9:30 PM
Funny how a movie - such as "the Fountain" - can be inspiring even for knitting a hat!
PaulineL wrote
on Mar 3, 2008 7:37 PM
How odd. I just downloaded the pattern and then opened it, in that order, with no trouble at all. Try again?
LaurieS@4 wrote
on Mar 3, 2008 6:29 PM
When I try to print out Kate's Fountain Hat pattern I print 1 blank page and I have never had an issue with printing patterns before! Help please! I love the hat!!!
DorothyP wrote
on Mar 3, 2008 4:59 PM
Hello, can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong, when down loading the patterns I get pictures but no directions.
VirginiaM wrote
on Mar 3, 2008 4:45 PM
Acrobat Reader is giving me a *File Error* message that says *Couldn't open the file. It may be corrupt or a file format that Preview doesn't recognize*
I do have the latest version of Acrobat Reader...Please help...I've been waiting to knit this pattern since first seeing it in Spring Issue of Interweave Knits.
ArdyS wrote
on Mar 3, 2008 1:48 PM
I just signed up for knitting daily. I tried to print the Caspian Sea socks, but only got the first 5 pages. Now, I tried for Katie's hat, got page one, but no pattern. What am I doing wrong?