Free Pattern: Slouch Rib Cardigan

Mar 16, 2008

Are you an adventurous beginning knitter who wants to try your hand (and your needles) at a sweater? Or perhaps you've been knitting for years and years, but you want a simple project to take with you on a trip—a project that you can wear soon after you get home! Then take a look at Cathy Payson's Slouch Rib Cardigan!

Me in the Slouch Rib Cardigan

When I tried on this sweater, I found that, despite the name, this little cardi could be worn a number of different ways. Make it with a few inches of positive ease, and it is indeed slouchy and comfy and ready for a Saturday morning walking the dog. Make it with zero or negative ease, and it becomes almost like a knitted suit jacket, something you can keep at the office for those days when the air conditioning gets a little out of hand.

In the photo, I am wearing the sample garment with about 1.5 - 2" negative ease. (The sample is about 38" at the bust, I am just over 39.5" at the bust.) I found that the deep ribbing at the hem, and the rows of garter stitch just above, provided a lovely sort of natural waist shaping (ahem), and the deep scoop neckline was very flattering to The Girls. I liked the snug cuffs at the wrist, which kept everything neatly in place.

And the yarn...wow. Karabella's Iris is silky and soft, with plenty of memory to help the sweater keep its shape as I move about. Oh, no wonder I like this yarn... I just looked at the yarn specs. It's got a touch of cashmere in there, mixed in with the silk and the lovely wool. (I am soooo predictable.)

Whether you make it slouchy and comfy or close-fitting and comfy, the pattern is a fast knit, thanks to size 10.5 needles and a bulky weight yarn. Plus, there's nothing harder than a k2tog and picking up stitches, so it's a great first sweater (or TV knitting) pattern.

Hmmm. Maybe for me, a deep forest green, with abalone buttons... what do you think? Of course, my friend Erin would whomp me if I started another project right now, but dreaming about our next project is part of the fun of knitting, don't you think?

Download the Slouch Rib Cardigan

Comments? Do you like the sweater better with positive or negative ease? Let us know what you think!

Sandi Wiseheart is the founding editor of Knitting Daily. She is now the author of the popular Knitting Daily blog: What's on Sandi's Needles.

Knit Cardigan Patterns From Knitting Daily: 7 FREE Knitting Patterns

Every knitter has dreamed of the perfect cardigan pattern that he or she might knit some day. From a cozy cable knit to luminous lace, this free ebook will be your dream come true. This is a wonderful and varied collection of cardigans-which is one of the most important pieces in your wardrobe. You'll want to make every one of these knit cardigan patterns, so download your free eBook now and get started (and don’t forget to tell a friend so they can enjoy their own copy!).

Download Your Free eBook Today

Comments

AmyS@2 wrote
on Oct 10, 2008 8:36 AM

Like some others, I like the positive ease version but not the extreme lowness of the neckline. I am a 38" hip/bust but otherwise petite. Wondering if the neckline would come up to a more moderate height if I knit the size for me with positive or zero ease (maybe the 42, though most of my sweaters are around 40) but with the length measurements for the 34?

KimberlyH wrote
on Mar 27, 2008 7:32 PM
I need help with this pattern. I am using the fewest stitches as indicated in the pattern. And I found that I had to cast on different numbers of stitches for almost all of the pieces, because a 2x2 ribbing must have a multiple of 4, and some did not. But I got through that. I am now working on the sleeves. I am very confused about the part that says "Change to St st and inc 1 st each end of needle every 3rd row 0 times ..." etc. How does that make sense? I don't understand the rest of it either. I don't know what to do. I am almost finished with this cardigan. I need help!
janda wrote
on Mar 25, 2008 5:29 PM
i really liked the slouch cardi with the negative ease. it had a nice fitted tailored look. otherwise , it looked to big in the front.
LesleyM wrote
on Mar 24, 2008 2:45 PM
For folks who are looking for the adult version of the Dragon wrap -- the designer has the adult version for sale on her website so it's unlikely IK will have it for free.

As for this sweater, I like it with positive ease. Maybe somewhere between what's in either picture.
LauraM wrote
on Mar 20, 2008 5:15 PM
I like the positive ease version better. Sandi--you would look wonderful in deep green--you're so lucky!
AnneG wrote
on Mar 20, 2008 3:02 PM
Sandi, I hate to say this, but that sweater looks as though you're "busting out" of it. The ribbing doesn't match at the front, which makes it look as though it doesn't fit. I agree with whomever said the neckline looks unfinished; I think it would look better with the ribbing extended as a collar.
HarpTonya wrote
on Mar 19, 2008 6:19 PM
LOVE the newsletter - I learn SO MUCH! And I love checking out the new patterns this week - (and personally, I think it is GOOD thing that I don't fall in love with each one - that tells me there is a variety and so they're won't all be to my taste. SO I don't get the complaining in some of these comments - they're FREE patterns, for cryin' out loud. If it isn't your thing, wait til next week. (I only WISH I had time to knit a new pattern every week!) Knitting Daily ROCKS!
Janice MW wrote
on Mar 19, 2008 12:49 PM
I've been a coward about negative ease up to now. Maybe this pattern will convince my to try it.
Lena@2 wrote
on Mar 19, 2008 11:47 AM
I didn't like the sweater until I saw it on Sandi, so I guess negative ease is my vote! I think if I were making it for myself I would change the garter bands to seed stitch. It might look a little more polished.
JeanneM wrote
on Mar 19, 2008 10:22 AM
If the buttons were repositioned/increased in numbers this sweater might look better in negative ease. Personally I just don't like this pattern. It looks rather 'clunky'.
Jeanne
Korie BethB wrote
on Mar 18, 2008 10:01 PM
Here's a question that's totally off-topic, but while I was reading, I saw the advert for the Dragon Skin wrap, and thought to finally ask for what I've been wishing all these months.... how about the same sweater sized for adults?! I really really love the look and the style, but I'm a heck of a lot bigger than the measurements given... =) Or maybe a post about how we could size it up for ourselves?
Yarnivorous wrote
on Mar 18, 2008 7:24 PM
Hey Sandi, you are looking good! Cardi looks good with negative "ease." Hmm. I don't need another UFO!
JaniceF@2 wrote
on Mar 18, 2008 6:47 PM
Personally, I find the positive ease more attractive. The negative appears as a bad fit and assumes a bad knitting job.
JeanS@2 wrote
on Mar 18, 2008 4:07 PM
is there a substiute yarn we can use instead of karabella
Anonymous wrote
on Mar 18, 2008 3:54 PM
Perfect, I thought! Yes, I consider myself an advanced beginner - I've knit a couple of sweaters, with "supervision!" This, I thought, looks like I could handle myself. So, I went to download it (thank you) and discovered that the smallest size is 34.5. I am size 31, petite. Can you please help???? Is there a simple way for beginners and we gals who are "outside the box" in terms of sizing to adjust a pattern?
SophieB wrote
on Mar 18, 2008 3:52 PM
Just for your information - the pattern is NOT in the Spring, 2008 issue of Interweave Knits. Would have liked to have seen it in the magazine itself - maybe more pictures? But Spring, 2008 it ain't!
Suzi-q wrote
on Mar 18, 2008 3:32 PM
I think there is a negative-ease pattern for every body shape, as bulky never looks better; the secret lies is knowing what to highlight. And, Sandi, no more hiding -- you look great and you need to update your official editor's photo to reflect your new, shapely self!!
StephanieG@4 wrote
on Mar 18, 2008 2:36 PM
I like positive ease, always.
BonnieR@2 wrote
on Mar 18, 2008 2:24 PM
I love it! I just think it's great what a wide range of responses there are to this one simple sweater. How wonderful that not everyone likes it or likes it the same way. Wouldn't want to be walking down the street and seeing everyone wearing the same clothes. I really like this sweater for what it is...a fairly easy, comfy sweater. I like it with positive ease...although maybe a little less than the model. I, too, find this yarn a bit pricy for a casual quick knit. I will shop around for a suitable substitute...I liked the sweater the first time I saw it & have looked forward to it's release!
BeverlyR wrote
on Mar 18, 2008 1:42 PM
I have mixed feelings about this sweater: on one hand, the negative ease makes the "neckline" look better; on the other hand, I like the slouchy positive ease fit better. I guess what I'm really saying is that I think this sweater would look better with a higher neckline.
RachelM wrote
on Mar 18, 2008 1:11 PM
I really like the look of this cardigan, and I think I like it more with negative ease, as modeled by Sandi, than with positive ease as on the original model. I am a bit frustrated that no weight info is given on the yarn. I can't afford the wool/cashmere/silk yarn specified, and I'm a newbie to subbing yarn. Is it a bulky? Chunky? Some guidance for thrifty beginners would be much appreciated.
KarenR@2 wrote
on Mar 18, 2008 12:11 PM
I would never have picked this pattern if I had not seen it on Sandi.
It looks fabulous on Sandi!
I like it w/ negative ease, but not for the price of the suggested yarn.
MaryE@3 wrote
on Mar 18, 2008 11:49 AM
I agree the cardi looks nice on Sandy but wouldn't want it for myself. All that bulky rib over the tummy and the neck looks unfinished. BTW the retails price on the suggested yarn is at least $15 per skein so this is a $200 sweater to knit at shown.
Mairwen wrote
on Mar 18, 2008 11:16 AM
I'm afraid I don't like this sweater much either way. I think the button band is ulgy, and the neckline is NOT flattering, either with positive or negative ease.
IreneM wrote
on Mar 18, 2008 11:05 AM
I like the style, but would prefer a smaller neckline [
same shape], a less bulky yarn and some positive ease.
Cfanning wrote
on Mar 18, 2008 11:04 AM
You might have better response to your purchase request of the 'sweater' if it fit corectly! Good grief already!! Carole, Marietta, GA
EllenS wrote
on Mar 18, 2008 11:03 AM
To add to the swelling tide, I would DEFINITELY buy the dragon skin wrap pattern if made for adult sizes. I think it would be flattering on a lot of body types.
SheilaH wrote
on Mar 18, 2008 10:53 AM
I was sooo disappointed when I realized that the dragon skin wrap was a child's sweater. I hope someone will create an adult version, it looks like a perfect spring project.
RobinJ@2 wrote
on Mar 18, 2008 10:14 AM
From the picture of Sandi it's hard to tell the yarn was a chunky. Usually I won't use a chunky yarn for myself, being a very big girl, but that sure looks fabulous. I think I like a no ease or very little positive ease. Sandi would look even more beautiful with a no ease garment over the girls and the model would look less scary thin in the smaller size. Poor thing looks like she's drowning, or playing dress up with her big sisters clothes.
KatarinaH wrote
on Mar 18, 2008 9:32 AM
Oooh, Sandi, what a wonderful, beautiful photo! You look so soft, so happy, so incredibly WOMAN! And the sweater - yes, I'll download and knit it as soon as ever possible! Thanks for all your good ideas and the many things you share with us knitters all over the world! From a small Swiss mountain valley with love, Katarina
FrancescaF wrote
on Mar 18, 2008 9:28 AM
Better w/postive ease!

Francesca

P.S. I love the dragon-skin baby wrap -- any suggestions for scaling it up for grown-up girls?
Amy@2 wrote
on Mar 18, 2008 8:51 AM
I definitely prefer the negative ease. I'm about as thin as the model, I'd guess, and it just looks sloppy on her. I do sometimes make larger sweaters for myself, when I want something comfy and unstructured that I can crawl into on a winter's day, but this pattern doesn't really fit the bill for that. (For one, my neck would be freezing.) It's more of a structured, nicer sweater that I'd try to dress up a little, and in my opinion, I don't look dressed up when my clothes are hanging off of me.

The beauty of knitting, of course, is that with a very little math, we can all adjust the patterns to suit ourselves.
PattiO@2 wrote
on Mar 18, 2008 8:45 AM
I would have to agree with some here.... I think it's an ugly sweater. I signed up for a newsletter with updated knitting patterns. I'm not getting that. Also, am I the only one that noticed that this pattern is labeled both "easy" and "intermediate"??? I'll look elsewhere for my next sweater.
Emmy LouC wrote
on Mar 18, 2008 8:07 AM
i like the sweater with Negative ease. i LOVE all i have learned from these Knitting Daily, especially lately about getting the sweaters to "fit!"

Please give more patterns with larger needle size for older eyes!!!

Also that pretty little "Dragon Skin Wrap" - how abut that for adults for this summer? Great sweater, of course larger needles please.

Thanks!! EL in TC
MaryH@4 wrote
on Mar 18, 2008 7:54 AM
I am loving negative ease. At 60 it is a delight to make things fit! I have learned so much from you in the the last 9 months. Not only have you reshaped what I knit - I'm reshaped! Mary
CatherineE wrote
on Mar 18, 2008 7:52 AM
Sandi,
I didn't like the sweater until I saw your picture with it on! I didn't care for the look of the slouchy button band, but it looks great on you with negative ease, so I've downloaded the pattern for myself. Thanks for showing us what sweaters look like on more than one model; that really helps!
Catherine Evans
AngelaF wrote
on Mar 18, 2008 7:32 AM
I like the sweater, but not so much on the smaller model shown on the pattern. I think the neckline looks so loose it looks messy. I guess that means I'd go with the negative ease. Or maybe just pick up stitches a little higher on the V neck?
MARYS wrote
on Mar 18, 2008 7:31 AM
I've read thru the comments and for large gals this sweater is so easy to increase very easily. Add 3-4 stiches to each front and 6-8 stst across the back and now you have added 4+ inches to the largest size. No pattern stitch with this pattern, so try it be brave. Knit the length an inch or 2 longer. Maybe my sewing background makes altering patterns easy. Find an adult ed class for the basic altering. It helps so much with the approach you'll take to knit items for your shape. Again ask your favorite LYS for some help
MARYS wrote
on Mar 18, 2008 6:57 AM
Love this quick knit sweater, I have several yarns I'm considering maybe I'll do both, 1 wool, 1 cotton. As for ease at 55 and full figured i'll go for positive ease, 20 years ago it would have definitely negitive. I love seeing the sweaters on real gals.
StacyC wrote
on Mar 18, 2008 6:14 AM
I must say I hated the sweater with positive ease and now would consider it with negative ease...so yay for Knitting Daily. I find these emails so helpful, thank you Sandi!
SaskiaD wrote
on Mar 18, 2008 5:37 AM
Sandi, I prefer the way it looks on you, with a little bit of negative ease! On the model it looks like it is oversized and it doesn't show any curves.
RuthW wrote
on Mar 18, 2008 3:31 AM
Sandi, you're looking great! A scarf could be tucked into the neckline with this sweater, for a different effect, too.
HollieB wrote
on Mar 18, 2008 3:06 AM
I have to agree with several of the other ladies that have posted. This is a very disappointing pattern!! I also signed up for a much different newsletter than what I am receiving now. I feel that it is all a commerical sales add, and not really a newsletter anymore at all. The "free" pattern is not attractive or useful to me at all, and it is the one of very very few free patterns I have seen lately. The ribbing does not even line up on the sides, and that is on the model for the pattern itself! I do not think it would look attractive on anyone bigger than a size four either, most of us prefer not to have every detail of our body clung to. That much work into a sweater, I would want something pretty and functional. I have not spoken up sooner about the newsletter because it is free, and I thought that others had also said something enough times that it should have been noticed. Or have a bunch of knitters unsubsribed? That might be a hint. I also had bought your magazines on a monthly basis. I am wondering if I should be loyal to a company that is not being loyal to it's customers.
PeggyD wrote
on Mar 18, 2008 2:35 AM
I would like to see that Dragonskin wrap in adult sizes. I don't care for the free pattern this time.
ChristineC wrote
on Mar 18, 2008 2:15 AM
I think I like the negative ease as I like a more "fitted" look for myself. I'm pretty new at knitting, so this may be just what I'm looking for in a beginning sweater project!

cafecrochet.net
Halo945 wrote
on Mar 18, 2008 1:48 AM
Could you have found an uglier pattern? I originally signed up for the free pattern of the week. It seems all I get now is advertisements to buy another PDF file or magazine. This is the first free pattern in a long time and now it's horrible looking. I guess nothing is free anymore. I faithfully buy Interweave Knitting each and every month and this is what you send me!

Lynette
Germany
KristenB wrote
on Mar 18, 2008 12:39 AM
Sorry Sandi, I think you went with a bit too much negative ease. It's too loose on the original model, and too tight on you. I third the vote for the Ballet Wrap Cardigan in a Woman's size (like 42 bust finished size).
Katy@2 wrote
on Mar 18, 2008 12:23 AM
Sandi, the cardi looked a little too floppy in the original photo for my taste, but it looks *FABULOUS* on you. Yes, negative ease for the win! :)
LouiseA wrote
on Mar 17, 2008 11:54 PM
I don't find this sweater very attractive in itself, positive or negative ease. Also fairly useless here in the frozen North, where warm sweaters that actually go up to the neck are more useful, unless only to be worn indoors. I need a cardi to wear outdoors, to the outdoor market on a breezy Saturday, or for a hike.I think I am going to knit a beautiful, classic Aran from Alice Starmore's book. Enough trendy, unattractive stuff.
on Mar 17, 2008 11:33 PM
I think it looked better on Sandi with the negative ease.
PaulineL wrote
on Mar 17, 2008 10:41 PM
Another vote for negative ease since the sweater looks much, much better on Sandi than on the model. The neckline is fine, too, though I might like the neck back higher for warmth. BUT, I don't care for the dropped shoulder line. I'd like the top of the sleeve up at the shoulder, not drooping a couple of inches below.
CharlotteT wrote
on Mar 17, 2008 10:36 PM
The sweater with negative ease just makes Sandy look like she's wearing a too small sweater. It looks uncomfortable in the armhole/shoulder area and the sleeves appear too short. I'm not a great fan of the pattern at all but think I prefer the positive ease. Don't plan to make it in either case.
LisaF@5 wrote
on Mar 17, 2008 10:31 PM
I like it better with the negative ease. I also want to request that an appropriate (cheaper) yarn substitute be mad for those of us who cannot afford to sink $200 into yarn for a sweater.
Happygoo25 wrote
on Mar 17, 2008 10:19 PM
I like the neckline better on Sandi but I like the sweater better with some positive ease. I really don't like the slouchy ribbing.
MonicaV wrote
on Mar 17, 2008 10:07 PM
I have a petite frame so I think that this sweater made with negative ease, as a "jacket", would look lovely.
I also second the person who asked for an adult ballet wrap pattern!
AuroraF wrote
on Mar 17, 2008 10:05 PM
Too bad this pattern (and most of the patterns on this website) are too small to fit larger women! most of the time I prefer positive ease...could you post an adjusted pattern for larger sizes--like 18-20 size, or a 1x ?
MillerF wrote
on Mar 17, 2008 9:55 PM
I like the negative ease very
much more. I would make it that way for me.

Fran Miller
AlixM wrote
on Mar 17, 2008 9:55 PM
Negative ease. I like having a tighter fit, because I hate all the bulk that comes with positive ease. I'm a small person anyway and it just makes me look even shorter and skinnier if there is to much positive ease.
MargaretB wrote
on Mar 17, 2008 9:29 PM
I like this pattern, esp. with greater ease. I am rather - ahem - lacking in bosom, but what I lack there is made up in my broad shoulders and ribcage. So. I would build in some +ve ease. I like the wee bit o' shaping at the waist too, with the deep rib.
NormaM wrote
on Mar 17, 2008 9:23 PM
Liked the negative ease but thought it was too negative.I like cardigans that are fitted but don't like it to look as if the buttons are pulling.
Aine wrote
on Mar 17, 2008 9:20 PM
Prefer with negative ease
SusanSW wrote
on Mar 17, 2008 9:05 PM
Positive ease...that's too tight on you Sandi.
on Mar 17, 2008 8:47 PM
I have to say that I love it with the negative ease! I just downloaded this pattern today, but I wasn't sure how it would look on me as I am definitely bigger than the model, but now I can't wait to start this, thanks for showing us Sandy. Brit in Az
suzala wrote
on Mar 17, 2008 8:30 PM
Personaly, no offense, but I don't think it is a particularly flattering sweater for someone who has an "ambitious" set of "girls" or someone who is wide across the bust line. Having a horizontal purl line there only accentuates the width of the body, and the girls.Sorry. If that line however weren't there it could be a great match, particularly with the low neckline. sz
briasolo wrote
on Mar 17, 2008 8:19 PM
I think I would like it with a little negative ease. I like the idea of more of a jacket type fit than an oversized sweater. I'm petite, so oversize sweaters make me look like I'm wearing something that would fit my husband!
CristinaR wrote
on Mar 17, 2008 8:17 PM
Positive ease, but less than the model.
It would be fantastic to have a chart with different yarns at different prices that would work in a given project. Many knitters do not have an unlimited budget!
JulieV wrote
on Mar 17, 2008 8:09 PM
Positive ease for myself, but with pretty necklines and flattering sleeves, negative ease for my hourglass-shaped teen daughter (increases the chance she will actually wear it LOL )!
purlygirl wrote
on Mar 17, 2008 8:02 PM
Negative ease, definitely!
JanineL wrote
on Mar 17, 2008 8:02 PM
I have to say that I do not like the Sloch Rib Cardigan sweater in either ease. It just doens not have enought tailoring in the right places for me.
SueD wrote
on Mar 17, 2008 8:00 PM
I like the Slouch Rib Cardigan better with negative ease. It looks a bit too slouchy with the positive ease on the model, IMHO. I'd like to make it, but will have to work the smallest size and fiddle yarn and gauge to get a fit I'd be happy with, I think.
WendyP wrote
on Mar 17, 2008 7:56 PM
A beautiful sweater - but I sure would like to see something made in a yarn a normal person could afford. I did a quick search on the net and the lowest price I saw for Karabella Iris yarn was $14.50/ skien. That would put the price of this sweater between $160 and $230, depending on the size you need! Am I the only knitter in America on a budget?

Wendy in NJ
JanetR wrote
on Mar 17, 2008 7:52 PM
Definitely negative ease. The blonde model looks not only slouchy but sloppy.
on Mar 17, 2008 7:48 PM
i like negative ease. thanks for the pattern. it's a really nice spring knit.
HattieA wrote
on Mar 17, 2008 7:43 PM
Wow, I did not even notice this sweater in the mag, because of the slouchyness. On you with negative ease...it's just so much nicer!
EllenS wrote
on Mar 17, 2008 7:42 PM
I like it both ways, but would probably make it for myself with positive ease. Tight, bulky-knit sweaters tend to be too hot on a 60-plus Californian! Sandi, I am learning so much from your recent articles and comments on fit/sizing. I really appreciate the information and the effort you are making to help new knitters with old bodies. And, in addition, you go and do your Vogue thing in the sweater by the tree--it looks darling on you! Thanks!
MargaretN@2 wrote
on Mar 17, 2008 7:40 PM
Negative ease looks terrific. Shows off the sweater's structure.
JennyE wrote
on Mar 17, 2008 7:40 PM
somewhere in between with the neckline drawn in a bit more, it looks as if it's falling off the shoulders when worn with positive ease.
SharonR wrote
on Mar 17, 2008 7:30 PM
I like the negative ease. I've been looking for a quick cardi to knit up and this is it!
KatK wrote
on Mar 17, 2008 7:24 PM
I prefer the positive ease, but maybe not quite so much as on the model....somewhere between the two! Think this would look great in handspun (one of these days).
CherilynR wrote
on Mar 17, 2008 7:23 PM
In spit of the fact that I **don't** have a generous balcony, the negative ease is my preference. it looks sleek and winsome, no matter what the season.
Since I live in Toronto, Ontario, there's way too much snow around here!
Longing for the Spring!!!
Cherilyn
ShellyB wrote
on Mar 17, 2008 7:09 PM
Sandi,
I think you look GREAT in this cardigan! When I first saw the pattern on your website, I didn't think I was all that crazy about it because of the slouchiness. But now that I see it on you, I just printed a copy of the pattern for a future project. I like it much better as a fitted sweater and the small size should work out just fine for me.
Thanks!
Shelly B
NancyF@4 wrote
on Mar 17, 2008 7:06 PM
I think this is an incredible unattractive sweater no matter what the ease. The problem is the neckline doesn't look like it fits, and the ribbing does not match up on the front. With so man wonderful patterns at IK to choose from, I wonder why you chose this one.
ValorieJ wrote
on Mar 17, 2008 7:00 PM
Negative ease - for sure! Wouldn't look at that sweater twice with the picture shown with the download - but really looks cute on Sandy.(?) And my girls aren't even close to a 39 1/2! More like a weak 34.
MaryF wrote
on Mar 17, 2008 6:58 PM
Love today's cardigan! I'll make it with positive ease - just a little. Also, could y'all PLEASE give us a free pattern in adult sizes of the ballet wrap cardigan? Please?
Elleville wrote
on Mar 17, 2008 6:54 PM
Looks totally different w/ the negative vs. positive ease! It seems like it would be more comfy on the loose side. Also, I prefer it loose so as not to stretch out the ribbing.
Carol Y wrote
on Mar 17, 2008 6:50 PM
Definitely prefer the negative ease even tho I like slochy sweaters. I think it looks great on you Sandi. The smallest is 0.5" larger than me, but that might be small enough.
EllenE wrote
on Mar 17, 2008 6:48 PM
I like the slouch rib best with positive ease but without the garter ribs above the beginning ribbings and with a different (higher) neckline.
HollyW wrote
on Mar 17, 2008 6:41 PM
Sandi, this is just to say that the Slouch Rib Cardigan looks so pretty on you!
Anonymous wrote
on Mar 17, 2008 6:38 PM
Like the sweater, however not too fond of the neckline. Would probably like it better if it was a higher neck or round neck. And if it's slouchy, some xtra room.
HollyO wrote
on Mar 17, 2008 6:34 PM
I also like it both ways. But I agree that it is a little too droopy/slouchy in the middle on the model.
SuzetteW wrote
on Mar 17, 2008 6:27 PM
I think that the sweater looks better with positive ease
CathyannP wrote
on Mar 17, 2008 5:55 PM
I think it looks better with negative ease. Look at the neckline droop on the small model. It just looks sloppy instead of relaxed. I'll be making mine negative.
JanL wrote
on Mar 17, 2008 5:39 PM
Ohhh I like that! It's added to my loooooong list of things I want to knit!
AnitaM wrote
on Mar 17, 2008 5:32 PM
I really like this either way. It will be a while before I get to it, though - we are in the middle of a heatwave here in Victoria, Australia - no heavy knitting for me for a while!
AdrienneB wrote
on Mar 17, 2008 5:18 PM
I think I have a dark green tweed yarn and some copper colored buttons in stash that will work for this. I MUST finish my daughter's Hexacomb cardigan first...must not start yet ANOTHER project....