Free Pattern: Garter Mug Cozies

Mar 25, 2008

I recently had to give up coffee. Completely. No decaf, no low-acid stuff, just cold turkey on that lovely, hot, rich, amazing beverage.

Can you hear my whimpering from where you are?

In giving up the Wonder Brew, I discovered that part of the magic of coffee was all the paraphernalia and ritual surrounding it. My entire morning routine changed, in a deeply sensory way: No more grinding of beans, no more heavenly smells, no more chugging and growling sounds from my coffee maker each morning as I got dressed. And...no more comforting warm mug in my hands as I gradually become conscious each day.

I found out that I adore mugs. Coffee mugs. I like their shape, their size, their hefty weight in my hands.

Garter Mug Cozies

So what does this have to do with knitting, you ask?

What if you could combine coffee, mugs, and knitting? What if every time you picked up your coffee mug, you were touching a lovely bit of knitted-up yarn as well?

Garter Mug Cozies, people. They're about knitting, and they're about mugs, and they're easy, and they're pretty, and they are extremely addictive. Plus, the pattern is free.

You've been warned.

Don't blame me if you end up knitting a gadzillion of these for all your friends, and then another badillion for your friends' friends.

Did I mention the pattern is free? Yup, free. But it's free for ONE MONTH ONLY! 30 days of freeness, that's all. As in, today's it's free, and through most of April it's free, and on Thursday, April 24, at 4:59 PM MST, the pattern is still free, and then POOF!—on Thursday, April 24, at 5:00 PM MST, the pattern is not free anymore.

Get it while your coffee's hot.

Download the free Garter Mug Cozies pattern

Sandi Wiseheart is the editor of Knitting Daily. She loves the idea that tea cozies have evolved into french press cozies and mug cozies and iPod cozies. Everything deserves to be decorated with a little knitting in some pretty yarn.

Comments

Deschats wrote
on Mar 15, 2011 11:23 PM

If the pattern is no longer available, why do you still have it under the "Free Patterns" section?  It seems unfair to dangle it under our noses when it can't be downloaded.

BabsM wrote
on May 3, 2008 7:51 PM
Oops! Wrong sandi. My apologies...
Babs M
BabsM wrote
on May 3, 2008 7:45 PM
Me too! Got behind on a few things. Any way to get the pattern? BTW, your talk (and Cat's and Lucy's) were so much fun, and I learned a lot. Thank you!
Babs
ShelleyM wrote
on Apr 28, 2008 11:37 AM
I accept that I have missed the free pattern... but I love it! Can I purchase the pattern? I have searched the website and cannot find it anywhere. Argh! The frustration of a knitter denied...!
CarolL@4 wrote
on Apr 5, 2008 3:19 PM
i guess that i cannot print off the free patterns unless i take the magazines.
BethB@2 wrote
on Apr 2, 2008 12:46 PM
Okay, I was finally able to download it using Firefox. No need to email it to me. Thanks!
BethB@2 wrote
on Apr 2, 2008 12:38 PM
Like several of the others, I can't download the pattern. Could you please email it to me? Thanks!
KerryS wrote
on Mar 30, 2008 12:24 AM
Hi, could you e-mail the mug-cozie pattern. I can't download it. Tried several times. Got it one time and was writing it out when the pattern disappeared into computer land. Can't get it back though I've tried for many, many times. Thank you, Kerry Shields
LaurieB wrote
on Mar 29, 2008 9:54 AM
Excellent idea - just in time for needing teacher presents! I think I will try a wool/acrylic blend to help with the itch factor, and my daughter suggested duplicate stitching their first names on them, or felting some flowers to sew on the side.
Mary JoM wrote
on Mar 28, 2008 4:31 PM
It is me. Mary Jo Morse 3-28-08 I too can`t download the cup cozies. What is my problem? I`am knitting a sweater for myself. Its a simple elegance cardigan. The pattern is in [Creative Knitting Issuse May 2008 and the page # is 26 &27 ,&[80]. I`am ready to start on the armholes. First time, I`ve made myself a sweater for mysef in years. I make alot of things for my grandchildren and also great grand children. I`am really bless as we have 26 greats, from age 1 year to 17 years. I`ve also been a knitted for many years but there is alot of new lingo out there, I don`t understand. In one of my old magazine`s tells about doing the Kitchener using a tapestry needle. If you are interrested in knowing what it says, I`ll be glad to copy it down for you. I too have some old magazines, from some years back. I seem to be a saver! Cozies look interesting and if I can get a copy of it, I think, they would be great gifts. See you! mary jo morse
Mairwen wrote
on Mar 28, 2008 3:36 PM
This is the kind of kitchy item that gives knitting a bad name. Will the next free pattern be for a toilet paper cover or a tissue box cover? My sincerest condolences on the coffee-free lifestyle, though. I think that, once the withdrawal fades, you will see that this pattern is silly. I'm sorry if I sound a little harsh, but mug cosies?
AnneB wrote
on Mar 28, 2008 1:32 PM
Another website for teas - arborteas.com. They carry fair trade teas. The site also has tips/fun facts/menus for tea parties....
I plan on doing many mug cosies. May even modify to cover ice tea glasses for the warm months - always assuning we ever have warm months. Just had 2-3 inches of snow today.
CeliaO wrote
on Mar 28, 2008 1:11 PM
Complicating a simple idea, BUT ribbing the initial rise might increase insulating value as well as make sizing easier, AND cotton worsted on the top 2 rows would fix fiber mouth. Celia O.
KatieA wrote
on Mar 28, 2008 11:00 AM
Hey, Sandi, you should try Rooibos tea. It's an herbal tea from Africa and it's no-caffeine. It has a rich vanilla flavor and tastes even yummier with milk and sugar.
LauraW@2 wrote
on Mar 27, 2008 11:36 PM
So cotton solves the washability and fiber on lips problem, but does it insulate as well as wool?
Amy wrote
on Mar 27, 2008 9:09 PM
When I knit gauge swatches in the round I like to make them into "mouse cozies" for cat toys. The mice look sweet inside and I am more motivated to finish swatches!

I will knit a mug cozy for my mom - she loves coffee and coffee cups. Thanks for the pattern!
Boothacus wrote
on Mar 27, 2008 6:13 PM
Interesting idea though I don't think my inanimate objects should be better dressed than I am. Plus, being a clutz I think it would get dirty too quick and that yarn against the cup would be slippery and my clothes would be cozied by the coffee spilled on them. Yours DO look awful cute though. And to help with the coffee withdrawl, I recommend Bigalow's Constant Comment tea. It's great and while nothing like coffee comes caffeinated or decaf and even mixed with the panacea green tea. It's pretty addictive in it's own right. Good luck Knitting Guru and we wish you a quick withdrawl from coffee and many happy hours knitting with Tea or Pero or what have you.
GJabouri wrote
on Mar 27, 2008 5:54 PM
Hi M. M.

The pattern is from the Interweave Holiday issue.
M.M wrote
on Mar 27, 2008 5:16 PM
so make the cozies in cotton to avoid "fuzz", people.

anyway, would it be possible to get the magazine issue date when pdf downloads are offered? I would like to know if the pattern is already included in a past issue I already own?

thanks,
Marie
GJabouri wrote
on Mar 27, 2008 3:57 PM
Mug cozies ... okaayyyy ... pretty useless as far as I'm concerned ... I can see a simple sleeve-band for your Starbucks papercup, but a mug cozy? ... mugs have handles to protect you from the heat ... plus I wouldn't like having wool fuzz sticking to my lips (yes, I could make them shorter) ... and since the specified yarn is wool, would they eventually become thimble cozies? ... since necessarily you would have to wash them from time to time ... And are the patterns becoming easier? I hope the next one is not for a garter-stitch pot holder.
TamaraM wrote
on Mar 26, 2008 10:22 PM
I'm so sorry about the coffee. I'm not the type that NEEDS to have my coffee right away, but I NEED to have my coffee at some point--the day's just not right without it. You have my deepest condolences. BUT, tea can be a wonderful thing, with honey and lemon? And sun tea in the summer. Which IS coming soon, I know it!

And you're so right about that mug cozy--very tempting for gifting this year.
Anonymous wrote
on Mar 26, 2008 10:13 PM
I knitted the mug cosies for a Christmas present, but since then I have knitted a couple more, making them quite a lot longer and then felted them to use on my insulated Starbucks coffee mug! They help it keep its heat for a longer time :)
LinneaN wrote
on Mar 26, 2008 9:31 PM
I had to laugh AND commiserate when I read your post! I too had to give up coffee, but I can still have tea, so I turned tea making into a morning ritual, making tea the British way. Somehow all is good again!!

Love the cozies!!!!
Aranel wrote
on Mar 26, 2008 9:04 PM
I am always torn when I see a lovely coffee mug cozy pattern. Possibly the only thing better than knitting (if such a think were possible) would be knitting + coffee!

BUT...I am always spilling my coffee. There's always a tiny bit that drips down the side or gets on the lid (because you're drinking through it, of course). I would love to make lots and lots of coffee mug cozies, but I'm afraid I would ruin them in five minutes! Does this happen to anyone else, or am I impossibly clumsy?
EmilyK wrote
on Mar 26, 2008 8:53 PM
I'm unable to download your Garter Mug Cozy. Can you please email it to me?

Emily Kelly
mljan wrote
on Mar 26, 2008 8:32 PM
Sandi, my heart goes out to you. I don't even want to know why your Dr. did this to you. I'm afraid I'd find I have the same condition, and I refuse to give up my addiction.
Teas are good, not the same.
Maureen
LauraW@2 wrote
on Mar 26, 2008 7:40 PM
My s/o asked for a coffee cup cozy about 3-4 years ago before I'd ever seen a pattern anywhere. I still haven't made him one but these are my questions. It's going to get messy, isn't it? So washability should be important, yes? But worsted wool will felt.

And am I the only person who worries about putting their lips near yarn? Isn't that like getting hair in your mouth?

When yarn shops offer "yarn tastings" I know it's metaphorical, but I still think, gross.

Well, it's a cute pattern, and he may get his cozy yet.
Marchwind wrote
on Mar 26, 2008 7:15 PM
Sandy I am so sorry to hear you had to give up coffee. Have you tried tea? I found that a really good Earl Gray tea with honey and cream does wonders for the sleepy soul and it eases the coffee withdrawals.

BTW, I was not able to download the pattern for the mug cozies. I have had no problem with any of the other patterns but this one keeps jumping back to the download page. After opening a new window it begins working then the window closes out and I'm back to the download page. HELP?!

Susan
LeaV wrote
on Mar 26, 2008 7:11 PM
I'm sorry you had to give up coffee - can you drink tea? I just came across a wonderful web site with all kinds of teas - www.adagio.com - maybe you could find a good substitute there. I'd find it very hard to give up my morning cup of 'joe though!

Lea
KarenR@2 wrote
on Mar 26, 2008 6:59 PM
No matter what hot drink we enjoy in our mugs we can now put them down on any surface without the worry of a ring!
Got to run to my stash, Mug Cozies for everyone!
LesleyM wrote
on Mar 26, 2008 6:43 PM
I'm quite sure that I would die without my coffee -- my husband would DEFINITELY die (by my hand) if I didn't have coffee.

You have my sympathy. Perhaps it's time to find a new doctor who isn't into performing hideous experiments (such as coffee deprivation) on otherwise nice patients. heheh
ArielD wrote
on Mar 26, 2008 6:32 PM
Very cute! I felted a French Press cozy. Would make a great set.
CatKity wrote
on Mar 26, 2008 6:30 PM
I had to give up coffee a few months ago as well. The hardest part was getting over the caffeine withdrawl. I switched to herbal teas in the morning so I still have my hot beverage fix. There are some wonderful teas out there! I know, not the same. But it does get easire over time :)
Pepperanne wrote
on Mar 26, 2008 6:02 PM
I'm on day 46 without coffee and I still miss the sound of my coffee maker in the morning and the wonderful aroma of your first cup of the day. Maybe these cozies will cheer up the dreary cup of herbal tea that I've been condemned to.
ReneeN wrote
on Mar 26, 2008 5:56 PM
i am curious as to why you had to give up coffee? i am torn with my love of coffee and my desire to get pregnant again. It is one of two things that are obviously different for me than when I was last able to get pregnant.
JenniferH wrote
on Mar 26, 2008 5:50 PM
I allow myself 2 cups per month, although I much prefer tea & am going to move that way for my guild meetings! [spinner/weaver] & [sockaholics]
I, too, love hot, steaming mugs in the morning, but mine holds tea.
Don't forget, there are cereal bev. coffee substitutes & there are teas at Celestial Seasonings online that are very hearty, coffee-like brews.
Experiment a bit; you'll find the perfect morning ritual once more.
Happygoo25 wrote
on Mar 26, 2008 2:41 PM
Don't despair! Just because you can't have coffee doesn't mean no hot beverage. There are so many delicious and aromatic herbal teas and you can still use a mug and use your coffee maker to heat the water as herbal teas usually don't need boiled water to steep properly. Now you can have your mug and heat it too!