Announcing the Readers' Choice Award Winners

Apr 13, 2008

Can we pretend I'm Ryan Seacrest for just a moment? I feel as though this moment deserves a tuxedo and a gilded envelope...So, please dim the lights and let's open the envelope with our results!

Knitting Daily has voted, and here, in no particular order, are your Readers' Choice Award Winners:

Here they are: The top five patterns as selected by you!

Cable-Down Raglan, by Stefanie Japel

Nantucket Jacket, by Norah Gaughan

Sunrise Circle Jacket, by Kate Gilbert

Tweedy Aran Cardigan, by Norah Gaughan

Swallowtail Shawl, by Evelyn A. Clark

As promised, we have put together the five winning designs into a free eBook, which you will be able to download from now until 5 PM MST on Wednesday, May 14, 2008. After that, the eBook goes back into the vault and will not be available as a collection again.

I've gotta quote that guy in Indiana Jones for a moment here: You have all chosen wisely... The range of techniques and design elements in these Top Five is impressive, and together, these five designs truly display some of the most beautiful and innovative uses of the humble knit and purl stitch ever. First, we have the Swallowtail, a traditional lace shawl, designed by Evelyn Clark in a miniature—but still visually rich, still breathtakingly beautiful—version more suitable for modern wardrobes. Then, we have Stefanie Japel's elegantly worked Cable-Down Raglan, which uses ancient stitchery to produce a sweater with contemporary shaping and styling. Also worked in cables is the slightly more traditional Tweedy Aran Cardigan from Norah Gaughan, which adds modern curves and detailing to a well-loved cardigan style. The Nantucket Jacket, again from Norah Gaughan, starts with a very up-to-the-minute silhouette, and adds all-over pattern stitching, gussets, and some very beautiful detailing to produce a contemporary garment that sings with history. And finally, Kate Gilbert's Sunrise Circle Jacket takes the humble increase to places it has never been, producing a unique and beautiful jacket that is as fascinating to make as it is to wear.

Winners, all.

Stefanie, Kate, Norah, Evelyn: You bring us the best of knitting, so that we can aspire to be the best of knitters. Each of you is a gift to the knitting community, and we at Knitting Daily are blessed and honored to be able to share your work with our readers.

All right, Knitting Daily folks...haven't you got some downloading to do?

Download The Top 5: The Best of Interweave Knits Readers' Choice Awards (not available after May 14, 2008)

Enjoy! And need I say: Happy Knitting!

—Sandi

Meet The Winning Designers: Blog Tour!

We thought you'd like to hear from Kate, Norah, Evelyn, and Stefanie themselves, and then we thought it would be fun to have the winners be interviewed by some of your favorite knitting bloggers! So we're doing a Blog Tour—each day this week, we invite you to visit the blog indicated below for some behind-the-scenes scoop!

Here's the schedule for the festivities this week:

Monday, April 14: Sandi Wiseheart interview on Smoking Hot Needles

Tuesday, April 15: Norah Gaughan interview on Lolly Knitting Around

Wednesday, April 16: Kate Gilbert interview on Moth Heaven

Thursday, April 17: Stefanie Japel interview on Chez Aristote

Friday, April 18: Evelyn Clark interview on The Panopticon

Come join the fun!

Want to congratulate the designers yourself? Leave a comment!

Sandi Wiseheart is the editor of Knitting Daily.

What's on Sandi's needles? Two inches past the hem of the New Skinnier Gathered Pullover.

Comments

Cat lover 2 wrote
on May 4, 2014 12:34 PM

Hi, how can I get the pattern of the Sunrise Circle Jacket, by Kate Gilbert.  I can't imagine it's impossible to knit it.

Fabienne

MarilynB@2 wrote
on Aug 31, 2008 8:41 AM

Could someone one e-mail the sunrise circle jacket pattern to me as well? I LOVE the Sunrise JAcket but can't get the pattern. thanks so much

mbrundage4@cox.net

Vivi wrote
on Jun 17, 2008 4:29 PM

I have been trying to find a pattern for the Sunrise Circle Jacket ever since I saw the picture the first time.  I found out about and joined knittingdaily yesterday, at which time I discovered that the pattern was FREE, but the offer ran out a month ago!!  I am so very, very disappointed!  Would anyone who downloaded it be willing to share it with another member?  Please?

on May 30, 2008 8:41 AM

Pingback from  Yarn Everywhere!  » Blog Archive   » Presenting the Tweedy Aran Cardigan

CarolW wrote
on Apr 22, 2008 8:34 PM
I love to learn and get to know other knitters out there. I got into a rut knitting lacy scarves, and now I,m wanting to do sweaters,vests, etc again after 21 years. I'll howl for help, using the blogs, as soon as I stop being intimidated by computers. I live in wyoming--truly more cows and horses than people. W fortunately have a great yarn shop, but my stash begs for allthose other choices out there,
MarjorieK wrote
on Apr 18, 2008 2:07 PM
I don't understand why Judi G would leave such a negative comment about Stefanie Japel on her posting. If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all!
SusanR@9 wrote
on Apr 18, 2008 11:48 AM
I love all the patterns selected and I especially loved reading the blogs from the different designers. So much advise and inspiration for us somewhat "new" knitters. I would absolutely love it if Knitting Daily offered links from more bloggers. Keep us the good work. I always look forward to my daily does on KD.
Sonja wrote
on Apr 18, 2008 11:27 AM
Thank you for this collection of *lovely* designs. I get my IWK off the newstand, but never miss. I have really enjoyed Knitting Daily, too. AND I can't get enough of the Vine Lace Baby Hat. Thanks for that pattern, too.
toomany wrote
on Apr 16, 2008 11:48 PM
Well I am very grateful for the free patterns from this site and wonderful designers. I guess not every pattern will please every person but I appreciate all knitters efforts to share their creativity.
Thank you so much KD and designers.
YavannaR wrote
on Apr 16, 2008 12:16 PM
sadly, my fave patterns, the waistcoat and the venezia pullover weren't chosen. It's good to get free patterns, but I think I'd only knit 3 of them. And then only as gifts.

But we can't please everyone all of the time. Regardless of how it went, someone would have been disappointed.
GescheJ wrote
on Apr 16, 2008 12:02 PM
Hi folks,

the last weeks I often stumbled over the beautiful Swallowtail Shawl and was sad, that I didn?t bought the book already.
Sometimes I am lucky: Thank you to all for choosing this design. ;)

Have a nice day
Gesche Johanna
Maezing wrote
on Apr 16, 2008 10:11 AM
I'm not able to download the booklet either, hope to be able to soon. Does it depend on how many people are using it at the time from the server? Never had trouble before.
JuneB@2 wrote
on Apr 16, 2008 6:30 AM
I'm proud to say that a couple of years ago I made the Tweedy Aran Cardigan for myself. I substituted a different yarn so I had to do a lot of reknitting to make it work, but the effort was worth it. I love it and wear it frequently and always get lots of raves.

-June B.
KashmiraR wrote
on Apr 16, 2008 3:25 AM
Hi, I have tried downloading free patterns that I like, from your site, but after I click download from my email notification, it goes to the Rustic Jacket pattern. I cannot get to any other pattern download, as it is only the rustic jacket pattern that is available on the web page. Please let me know if there is an error.
JudiG wrote
on Apr 16, 2008 1:34 AM
The day Stephanie Japel creates a series of garments that are NOT top-down raglans is the day I eat my Koigu.

As a designer she really needs to push the boundaries of her design. Can you teach an old dog new tricks? She makes me doubt it.

Of course there's no surprise Norah Gaughan made this list. She is really a great designer. I love that she changes it up, keeps it interesting, while still appealing from an aesthetic point of view.

Stephanie Japel could definitely learn a thing or thirty from Norah.
KimC wrote
on Apr 15, 2008 11:00 PM
Sandi!!! Can you pull the magic yarn strings necessary to make the top ten finalist patterns available for purchase? I was hoping the waistcoat would end up on the list, too, as I'd like to knit that up!
Pacasha wrote
on Apr 15, 2008 8:41 PM
yippee to norah on two designs chosen. everything i knit of norah's is both a challenge and absolutely beautiful. keep it up... to all of the fantastic designers who leave the fun parts of knitting up to us and take care of the headaches (for the most part) themselves.
BettyB@3 wrote
on Apr 15, 2008 1:43 PM
Thank you very much for these wonderful patterns. I am going to try the Swallowtail Shawl as soon as my needles stop clicking on 5 other projects!
SharonV wrote
on Apr 15, 2008 1:13 PM
To: laura m | April 14, 2008, did you try to put your cursor diurectly on the picture, right click for options and then click on print? Sometimes that works for me.
on Apr 15, 2008 9:08 AM
Can anyone explain what a knitted seam stitch is? I'm making the tiled duster and need this stitch to complete my project.
LindaF@2 wrote
on Apr 15, 2008 8:56 AM
What a wonderful gift! Thank you all for your designs. When am I going to have time to anything but knit?!? LFF
Tsvete wrote
on Apr 15, 2008 3:29 AM
Thank you for the lovely patterns! Especially for the Swallowtail Shawl, I think it's absolutely gorgeous. Congratulations to the designers... and to the knitters :)
Mimu wrote
on Apr 15, 2008 2:04 AM
Congratulations to winners. I can't believe there was not any Eunny Jang designs. I think Venezia pullover should have been chosen!
KatieB wrote
on Apr 15, 2008 12:56 AM
Yay!!!! The E-book is here and I'm so excited about it. But what about the other patterns that didn't make the top five? Here's a thought in case no one has suggested it yet...what about making another e-book of the patterns that didn't make it into the top five?

Either way, I'm going to have to get a new binder for all my knitting patterns. I have two of the 1-inch binders and they're both already full, and that's not counting the books and magazines I have full of wonderful things to knit!
PatC@3 wrote
on Apr 15, 2008 12:13 AM
was wondering when the barrymore slouch hat pattern will be available thanks
pat cates
DeborahA wrote
on Apr 14, 2008 11:48 PM
Thanks for the free download, and congratulations to all the designers of the top 5.
I think it's the geek in me, but I'd be interested to see the stats - just how many people did vote and how close were the votes across the top 10?
Also, will the patterns that didn't make the top 5 be available to purchase in the online pattern store?
SusanP@2 wrote
on Apr 14, 2008 10:11 PM
Thank you very much for this great collection! I really appreciate having such lovely patterns in a collection like this.
Many kudos!
Susan
mljan wrote
on Apr 14, 2008 8:01 PM
A terrific bonus, with beautiful designs. All of your wonderful teaching and these too! Even if some were available before, I agree that it's a vote for the designers which could yield a long-term benefit - more garments from those designers published!
Thanks, Sandi.
AnnikaW wrote
on Apr 14, 2008 6:59 PM
Yes, thank you for these patterns and well done designers. Are you going to add the other candidates to your store? I really thought (hoped) that the Venezia pullover would make it and would rather pay for download of that 1 pattern than pay enormous freight costs for the back issue to Australia.
Carol Y wrote
on Apr 14, 2008 6:57 PM
Thank you! Gorgeous designs all...
LesleyM wrote
on Apr 14, 2008 6:53 PM
Thanks for making this available.
LoisE wrote
on Apr 14, 2008 5:45 PM
Hi Monika
I am having trouble understanding the key on your grasshopper chart. Please clarify what s2,k1.p2sso/s2,p1,p2sso means. Is p pass over or purl? I would like to knit this pattern.
Please email me at lmerrante@comcast.net
KellyB@3 wrote
on Apr 14, 2008 5:29 PM
Wonderfully beautifully conceived - all of them. Cannot wait to give them a try. Congratulations on your good taste.
Keep up the good work, Kelly Baehr
GretchenH wrote
on Apr 14, 2008 5:02 PM
Thank you so much!!!
TaraR wrote
on Apr 14, 2008 4:44 PM
I, too, was suprised so many voted for the circle jacket, though it is nice. I'm really thrilled to have the Swallowtail Shawl pattern - I've been wanting to knit this!
ElsaX wrote
on Apr 14, 2008 3:36 PM
I'd love to knit the Sunrise jacket, but I really can't work out how to adapt the pattern so that it fits a petite person, ie shorten neck to armhole, armhole to waist and waist to cast on while maintaining width.
Nancy@7 wrote
on Apr 14, 2008 3:06 PM
Congratulations designers! But it would be nice if we could download the pdfs. Download is not working.
Laura@2 wrote
on Apr 14, 2008 3:04 PM
As with every pattern I have ever downloaded from your site, the photos never come through!
EllenM wrote
on Apr 14, 2008 3:04 PM
How wonderfully talented these designers are and how fortunate are we to be the beneficiaries of their work! Thank you for providing these patterns to us.It is a tough decision as to which to make first!

Ellen Moore in NJ
VickyR wrote
on Apr 14, 2008 1:45 PM
Lovely designs. Thank you. I have a question about the cable down raglan, for which I have the pattern. It seems to curve in at the waist but the pattern has no waist decreases. Am I missing something?
SarahC@3 wrote
on Apr 14, 2008 1:26 PM
Thank you to the wonderful designers of these patterns! They are beautiful examples of why I love to knit! A big thank you for consolidating them into this download and making them available free to us all - regardless of whether they were free before or not, I appreciate the opportunity! I agree with Pauline - snag them while you can as they may disappear when you least expect it!
CaroleK wrote
on Apr 14, 2008 1:24 PM
A very big congratulations to the winners of your designs! Also, thrilled to have the free downloads. Thank you KD....
Carole in PA
enya_34 wrote
on Apr 14, 2008 1:24 PM
Since it's the votes for the best design, I think, the designers deserve to get the appreciation. Yet I also belive the editors should have posted as a reward to the readers 5 designs that are not currently available.
So it should have been 5 top designers to be nominated and 5 new designs to be made available for a limited time.
Then it would have been a win-win situation.
PaulineL wrote
on Apr 14, 2008 1:13 PM
Congratulations to the winners, twice for Nora G, and thanks for the patterns KD.

I thought the votes were for the sweaters, not just to snag free patterns though I love FREE. Knitters, gratefully grab the patterns while you can, because you can't count on any of them staying either free or on-line forever. For instance, a fabulous, once-free crochet sweater has vanished from the free column and migrated to the store. I'm sure others could do the same or simply disappear, in a database crash for instance.
Zaz wrote
on Apr 14, 2008 1:05 PM
thank you, very good post on reasons why of the choice and very good top 5 (note: the circle jacket has been everywhere on the net for download forever :-/ too bad cause we'd have had a real unavailable other fifth)
Lynn G. wrote
on Apr 14, 2008 12:55 PM
Oooh, I'm so surprised that the Caftan Pullover didn't make the final 5...and, yes, I agree that the Sunrise Circle Jacket is fabulous, but it was already free on this website, and I think the editors should have eliminated those already-free-on-KD choices from the Top Ten before we all were asked to vote, rather than expecting us to search the free pattern library before voting. Thanks for the three patterns that I did not have, although I cannot knit lace, so really two...but I'm still grateful.
on Apr 14, 2008 12:35 PM
I can't believe that enough people voted for a design that was already available free online to get it into this ebook. I'm glad to get the one pattern I didn't already have, but come on, people.. check the downloads section before you vote if KD ever does this again.