It's Summer Preview Time!

Apr 24, 2008

The daffodils are blooming, the lilacs are blossoming, and that means it's time for the Knits 2008 Summer Preview! (We want you to have your summer knitting well in hand before the REAL heat starts, you see.)

Who better to introduce the next issue of Interweave Knits than the editor herself: Eunny Jang!

Knits summer preview 1

from left: Elinor Tunic, Roped Shell, Drawstring Raglan

Eunny Jang Presents: The Knits 2008 Summer Preview

If there's a downside to editing Interweave Knits, it's that new issues no longer come as a pleasant surprise. By the time I actually get my hands on a finished magazine—as desk copies, now, not as a sudden treat in the mailbox—I'm already intimately familiar with it, having shed sweat and tears (and occasionally blood—paper cuts!) over every word and photo in it. By the time an issue becomes a paper-and-ink, tangible thing, the Knits staff has already been thinking about and working on it for the better part of a year.

We do get excited when the previews go up, though. This is our first chance to see what people think of our hard work—to live the new issue thrill vicariously, through our readers.

The Summer 2008 issue, which hits newsstands May 13, has a little bit of everything. We know it can be tough to find great things to knit in the hot months, so we've assembled a collection of projects that hit all the sweet spots of summertime knitting: simple, quick knits; lacy things; cool fibers; easy silhouettes. It's not your same-old same-old, though: This year, we're revisiting summer knits with a special focus on color. That can (and does) mean a lot of things: stranded colorwork accents, allover slip-stitch knitting, intarsia motifs, even single solid colors we found inspiring. All the projects are light and airy, with a little something special.

Knits summer preview 1

from left: Wallis Cardigan, Brick Pullover, Gossamer Stars Scarf

Some projects highlight how minimalist color lets pattern and line take center stage: Take a look at how Wendy Bernard's ELINOR TUNIC makes a mosiac pattern pop by using complementary shades, or Margery Winter's DRAWSTRING RAGLAN uses one unexpected stripe to liven up a classic shape.

Angela Hahn uses color and stitch structure together to create an intriguing fabric and a drapey silhouette in the ROPED SHELL. Melissa Werhrle's WALLIS CARDIGAN punches up beautiful details and clean, classic lines with a surprising, look-at-me solid. Kat Coyle's GOSSAMER STARS SCARF highlights simple lace stitches with a glossy, ever-so-slightly variegated silk. And Kathy Zimmermann's BRICK PULLOVER makes an unusual construction shine by working it in a subtle chilly-night-at-the-beach rust color.

Color can make a big impact, or act as a flattering backdrop. It can change the look and feel of a knitted project more completely than any other alteration; it truly can make a garment yours. As you enjoy the new issue, think about your ideal colors—have fun!

— Eunny Jang
Editor, Interweave Knits magazine

View the Interweave Knits Summer 2008 Preview!

Free Pattern: Confectionary Tank by Deborah Newton

Free Pattern: Confectionary Tank by Deborah Newton

Eunny and I thought you needed a little treat while you waited for the Summer issue...so here is the Confectionary Tank, a fun and richly colored tank top by Deborah Newton. The stitching is easier than it looks—the mosaic texture is created with an eight-row slip-stitch pattern that helps mix and coordinate the seven bright colors of silk. Minimal finishing means you'll be of to that beach party in no time. Enjoy!

This pattern will be available only until July 31st, so be sure to download your copy now!

So, what do you think of the Summer garments? Let us know!

Sandi Wiseheart is the editor of Knitting Daily.

What's on Sandi's needles? We had a long meeting here yesterday, so I now have 3" done on the New Skinnier Gathered Pullover. Hooray for meetings where you can knit!

Comments

Karri wrote
on May 6, 2008 8:20 PM
I let the "summer preview" sit in my inbox for a full 10 days before opening it... for some reason I need to see the "real thing" in print with all the lovely pattern details - and I hate to spoil the surprise. The magazine arrived today, just in time to hit the yarn store before I leave for a vacation - sans kids, but avec knitting - this weekend. Now it is off to take a look at those galleries!
Ruth@4 wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 1:43 PM
I have a big problem with summer knitting patterns. I am a plus sized woman. When the summer patterns come out they never seem to be designed for those of us with "extra baggage." I love the designs in the summmer preview, but unless they come up to a bust measurement of at least 50" I would never be able to wear them. Big women need summer patterns, too. Thanks.
SherryP wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 8:37 AM
The Elinor Tunic is beautiful! Can I afford the yarn? And I like the Wallis tunic, with a yarn that blends two of the new fibers yet.
DorrisW wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 6:26 AM
I quit smoking in early February...keeping my hands busy was a priority so I have completed huge quantities of knitting projects since then. I have been a little worried about what I would do during the summer months. Now, that worry is gone...I only have to decide which one of these lovely designs I will start first (and how much my yarn budget can support). Thank you! Thank you! Gotta go, I am racing to my LYS so I can begin the pattern I've just downloaded to work on till the summer issue gets here!
Anne MarieW wrote
on Apr 28, 2008 11:11 PM
Love the Confectionary tank. Would even consider making and wearing it even though I almost never go sleeveless but, just priced out the yarn. Can't justify something like $175 for a garment I might wear just because the pattern is free.
BarbieM wrote
on Apr 28, 2008 4:39 PM
Nice lace!
RareJewel wrote
on Apr 28, 2008 12:33 PM
I looking forward to this issue. So many good designs.
AnneB wrote
on Apr 28, 2008 12:19 PM
I'm 60 and I found several of the patterns that I want to knit. Since I'm doing the knitting the ease can be adjusted to "fit" my comfort level.
I don't remember knitting a pattern with the color(s) shown/suggested. I always travel with a "dragon's eye" (prizm lens) great for determining what colors will work well together.
Soooo may projects - sooo little time
Sue Howard wrote
on Apr 28, 2008 11:23 AM
Can't wait to receive my issue. There are several items I want to make. Love the colors!!!!!
LindaI wrote
on Apr 28, 2008 8:19 AM
I'm with you Sandi! I buy yarn because I love it. Yarn bought in large quantities is generally for a specific project. Tell your husband that there are others like you.
LindaO wrote
on Apr 28, 2008 6:45 AM
Delightful!
Deerarts wrote
on Apr 27, 2008 9:24 PM
I really love the bonus photos. Is there any way to keep these available for past issues? The Delft Tiles Tee & Wakame Lace Tunic (I'm thinking formal attire on this one?)are calling me. How difficult would it be to add sleeve to a tunic design (I have 50+ pudgy upper arms)? Could you do an article on this?
ChrissyF wrote
on Apr 27, 2008 6:06 PM
Love it, especially the Imprint Tank! Very excited, I'm subscribing today.
Bec wrote
on Apr 27, 2008 5:21 PM
Oh dear. This is the first issue of IK that I wouldnt knit anything from. Too airy-fairy, and too fadish (in my own opinion). The designs are lovely, just not my cup of tea.
- Bex
on Apr 27, 2008 4:20 PM
Wow!! This looks like it will be the best issue of IK in quite a while. This is the issue I've been waiting for - the last few have been good, but not packed front to back with projects I wanted to knit like they used to be. Good work!
TanyaP wrote
on Apr 27, 2008 3:33 PM
I loved the confectionary tank & immediately started looking for yarn to make it. I have to agree with the last poster. I can not find Empire Silk in enough quantity or colors to order anywhere and I haven't found many other 100% silk yarns listed either. Can you suggest something else that I could use to make this tank?
Desiree wrote
on Apr 27, 2008 12:04 PM
Why oh why do you post free patterns with yarn that's hard to find?
DonnaW@4 wrote
on Apr 27, 2008 11:30 AM
The summer issue looks great!I love the bonus photos you offer, perhaps some close-ups could be added. Can't wait for my issue to arrive so I can continue knitting along my merry way!
jennantonnix wrote
on Apr 27, 2008 9:16 AM
Thank you for the additional views. I initially thought, Gossamer Stars, Wallis, Apres Surf Hoodie. Then I saw the shaping on the Imprint tank. As if I don't have enough projects to keep me busy already.
Bianca wrote
on Apr 26, 2008 5:02 PM
I found quite a lot I look forward to knitting in spite of too many garments which are cropped or designed more snuggly than I care to wear. My demographic is probably not the one your magazine shoots for and still I find great inspiration. Keep up the good work!
Meeb wrote
on Apr 26, 2008 3:56 PM
the roped shell is the only one that appears to have serious possibilities from my point of view.... but then, "summer knitting" issues are invariably my least favorite in the annual cycle. and uh... i have to wonder at the horizontal striped clingy skirt. just really wondering.
JudiG wrote
on Apr 26, 2008 12:49 PM
ooooooh!!! now i CAN'T WAIT for the summer issue to come out!!

The Tidewater Wrap, Drawstring Raglan, Wallis Cardigan, Eyelet Surplice Dress, Leaf Kimono Top, and Apr?s Surf Hoodie are just to die for!!

Though I know the dress wouldn't look nice on my round body...still! Kudos to IK for all of the "extended sizes" they are totally gorgeous and the items would LOOK GOOD in plus sizes, unlike the last issue. I wasn't impressed at all with spring 08 and didn't even consider making anything from that issue, but, to start, there are no less than six patterns that I can't wait to get started on!! The Wallis Cardigan is #1 on my list.
MarilouM wrote
on Apr 26, 2008 12:43 PM
At first glance there seems very little for those of us over 40. Perhaps I need to study the pictures a bit more.
SharonS wrote
on Apr 26, 2008 12:31 PM
I am excited about the Summer patterns. It will be hard to decide which pattern to use first. The Wallis one has caught my interest.
on Apr 26, 2008 11:32 AM
Thank you! The spring issue left me me a uninspired. This issue is making me very happy I have the summers off...I see lots of knitting in my future:)
AnnalisaO wrote
on Apr 26, 2008 9:16 AM
I'm not impressed with the designs this time around. My daughter liked the hoody and I liked the lace silk scarf. Some of these looked like patterns out of granny's crochet magazine..I'm retro but not that retro! I've loved the last three issues...hopefully next season will captivate me.
on Apr 26, 2008 8:21 AM
The drawstring raglan, and the Imprint tank look fab!!

I'm thinking that drawstring raglan neeeds to be done up in traditional knit with snot green and orange!
Rachel wrote
on Apr 26, 2008 8:01 AM
I loved a lot of things, especially the imprint tunic and some of the other shells. I thought the stitch patterns used for a lot of the tanks were very creative and unique.
At 25 I am still in the 'young' category, but I teach high school and I have to dress in classic, grown up styles (or else the students see my long hair and think I'm not a teacher, LOL), and I thought a lot of the shells (like the plaid one) would be great under a jacket for work. I thought I could knit a lot of these for both me and my mother to be worn in that way (she doesn't wear anything sleeveless, but she does wear a lot of suits). So some of the pieces struck me as suiting a wide age range, as part of an appropriate outfit. Obviously all the styling is very young.

Will you do a gallery again with different eases? I'm interested in seeing these patterns on women of different heights and bust sizes.

Also, it would be interesting if you could feature work of knitters who interpret your designs in the larger sizes (from Ravelry maybe?). It might help us visual how some of the styles would up-size, and obviously you can only knit one sample garment.

Oh, and I LOVE the extra photos. They are so helpful.
Cinders wrote
on Apr 26, 2008 7:09 AM
Sorry, not too keen. As a larger lady colour work and horizontal patterns just arnt me. Also I think the designs are very young. Now I'm in my mid 40's and not an old frump yet, but these designs arnt for me. I did like the lace tunic and lace hoodie, but thats it I'm afaraid. Not as good as the spring collection
LynS wrote
on Apr 26, 2008 6:44 AM
Terrific post. Having said that, the preview shows knits that are just plain too hot for North Carolina summers. Stranded and mosaic=too heavy to wear. Have mercy on those of us who live in hot, humid climates.
CoraB wrote
on Apr 26, 2008 6:27 AM
You absolutely hit the mark with your yarn collector's secrets. I have a whole closet with yarn, material, patterns, etc. I have to sneak them in the house and every so often I sit there on the floor and touch everything! Keep up the great work, Cora
MandyH wrote
on Apr 26, 2008 4:11 AM
I love the lace tunic - what an interesting design. A delightful cover-up for summer evenings. The sleeveless tops are good too. I rather like the use of colour. Looking forward to receiving my copy in due course. I took out a subscription at the end of last year.
KateK@2 wrote
on Apr 25, 2008 10:51 PM
This issue is the first in a ling time that I have not liked a single project in. The distinctive shaping and detailing usually so prevalent in Ik is absent this issue, leaving only a random vomit of color-work with no cohesion to the issue. If I wanted one of the other magazines that promote this style I would buy them.
I have been a loyal IK subscriber for a long time, and will keep my fingers crossed that the beautiful knits IK is so famous for will return.
KenH wrote
on Apr 25, 2008 10:14 PM
Great but there is a typo in The notes about the Confectionary Tank. You wrote "and soon you will be of to that beach party" or something to that effect. I think you meant "off to that...."
MarciaC wrote
on Apr 25, 2008 9:51 PM
Wow! I love the cardigan, men's sweater and the lace scarf. I'm anxious to see the rest of the summer patterns. I'm not too crazy about the heat in the summer so I do knitting and other crafts inside in the air conditioning.
MarciaC wrote
on Apr 25, 2008 9:51 PM
Anonymous wrote
on Apr 25, 2008 9:06 PM
Oh yes! The extra views of the knits were wonderful, showing the textures and back views. Thank you!
Anonymous wrote
on Apr 25, 2008 8:58 PM
My first thought was that the patterns are mostly too much for me to knit or wear. There are only a few I could attempt. The Brick pullover is great. The Leaf Kimono Top (how difficult is it?) and the Wallis Cardigan are lovely. The Apres Surf Hoody is beautiful, but I would alter it to knit without the hoody for us mature women. Would it be possible to give such options in your patterns? It is always great to see patterns for men. Patterns for children and babies would be great too!
WendyB wrote
on Apr 25, 2008 8:43 PM
Looks like I'll have to take out a small loan to buy all the silk and luxury fibers - but the patterns look worth it! For me, the "can't wear wool" girl, this issue looks great. Thanks for the sizing and ease info - helps alot.
CathyR wrote
on Apr 25, 2008 7:32 PM
Ive picked my wish list!!! Must get a subscription,itll be July or August before I see this edition!!!!!
Cathy Dowd wrote
on Apr 25, 2008 6:49 PM
I like the way you've described the yarn for the confectionary tank - in it's generic form before giving a name brand, but why list grams instead of yards?
CarolS@2 wrote
on Apr 25, 2008 6:13 PM
YUCK...Sorry, not much there I'd wear, never mind bother to knit. The socks are OK, if you like socks. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the Fall issue.
ZebbyX wrote
on Apr 25, 2008 6:03 PM
Beautiful BEAUTIFUL summer knits...could do without all the horizontal stripes but still beautifully done stripes all the same...even more thrilling....all patterns in renaissance woman sizes ( Up sized )!!!! Before I might have bought the magazine but possibly not because the sizes were small even if the patterns were great...Now there isn't a question of whether I will or not...I will be there on the day it comes out and first in line!! TY TY TY
ZebbyX wrote
on Apr 25, 2008 6:03 PM
Diane wrote
on Apr 25, 2008 5:41 PM
OH. MY. (expletive)

This issue is AMAZING!!! Just when I thought my queue was back under control you guys go and make this issue. I absolutely can't wait for it to hit.

Thank goodness for Daylight Savings Time!
Pica wrote
on Apr 25, 2008 5:34 PM
Wow...you've read my mind...Colourwork. Several of these projects are going on my list. The Delft Tile Tee, Socks, Maybe some lace. It's all good. Thx...You guys rock!
JennyE wrote
on Apr 25, 2008 5:19 PM
I just love the look of the Wakame Lace Tunic and can't wait to get my handson the Elizabeth Zimmerman hat patterns
Rhona P wrote
on Apr 25, 2008 5:12 PM
Thank goodness there are only two patterns I really like this time - the Wallis cardigan which is so elegant and the wonderful colours of the Autumn Aster cardigan. The garden will be dug after all.... Nice designs generally though - just not what I wear fortunately!
MicheleF wrote
on Apr 25, 2008 5:08 PM
THEY ALL Look so yummy and do-able. I can't wait!
CindaW wrote
on Apr 25, 2008 4:31 PM
Oh! I should have let you know in my last comments, how I doooo want to make the raglan cardigan! I am a slightly chubby woman over 50 and this cardigan will be complimentary to my frame.
Cinda Wismar - American Canyon
CindaW wrote
on Apr 25, 2008 4:29 PM
I am especially drawn to the lacy star scarf. I may give it a try as I have been wanting to start something gossemer and your scarf seems just the thing!. Cinda Wismar, American Canyon
JillW wrote
on Apr 25, 2008 4:14 PM
I really liked a lot of the patterns in this issue too. There are probably 4 or 5 sweaters that I would seriously consider, along with the socks and scarf - I liked everything in the "Sand and Sea" except the skirt, also the Folded Cowl Tee, the Roped Shell, and the Apres Surf Hoodie. This is a lot more than what I would usually find in other magazines! Thanks for providing the extra pictures - looks like even more than would be in the magazine. It's great to be able to see close ups for the texture and stitch patterns, and also the back and sides of the garments. The close ups of the bottom and sleeves of the Folded Cowl Tee made that my #1 choice!
LaurieR wrote
on Apr 25, 2008 4:10 PM
*gasp* a skirt and a dress that'll fit the big girls! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! So many pretty, wonderful things! I can't wait to find it in my mailbox!!!!!!!!
MaryT@4 wrote
on Apr 25, 2008 4:07 PM
The Wallis Cardigan is very very nice, so I will probably knit that...but nothing else is really calling to me. A shame, this will be my first issue of the gift subscription I got for my birthday, and I was really excited. Maybe I built my expectations up too much, or maybe this will be one where I have to let it marinate and look at other people's "interpretations" before I knit anything. But I have to give credit, because while the garments are mostly not to my taste, they are all classic, refined, wearable designs (there's only one that I would say is not attractive at all) and that's more than I can say for every other knitting mag out there.
Cora Shaw wrote
on Apr 25, 2008 4:00 PM
I am excited, oh and thank you fro listing it is a limited time on the free tank.

Cora
mollita wrote
on Apr 25, 2008 3:51 PM
I like the roped shell and stars scarf. I loved the Spring designs so much that I had high expectations, and these two are gorgeous.
LouiseP wrote
on Apr 25, 2008 3:49 PM
Yippee! Lace! I can't wait to try the Wakame Lace Tunic!
JanickeL wrote
on Apr 25, 2008 3:47 PM
Now I'm happy! I have only received 2 numbers on I.K. before, and I wasn?t too happy with the spring issue, because I thought it was "too much of a kind" in designs, and not really my style, but this looks great! Can hardly wait to receive it!

-Janicke, Norway
SharonR wrote
on Apr 25, 2008 3:36 PM
The Confectionary tank looks like fun - I'll have to modify it down to about 4 colors but I love it! And the Stars scarf looks interesting, too. Thanks!
Nat AleaH wrote
on Apr 25, 2008 3:30 PM
I immediately signed up for a subscription and am EAGERLY wating for the magazine to come out. This is one of the best I've see and am already planning on which sweater to knit up( I think everyone of the sweaters!)I wish I had 4 hands so I could knit twice as much! I especially love the skirts, hmm, maybe that will be my first. BUT the SOCKS are calling my name!!!! Excellent magazine. Nat Alea
DorothyN wrote
on Apr 25, 2008 3:30 PM
I can hardly wait for my issue to arrive. There are many things I want to make!
DeboraA wrote
on Apr 25, 2008 3:29 PM
When are we going to get past the "modern fit"? I HATE the tight-fitting styles. They look terrible on my overweight body. They make my young students look like little hookers. How about a "pre-modern" fit or a post-modern fit or anything that's not tight-fitting?!!!!

Debora Adler
SuzanneK wrote
on Apr 25, 2008 3:21 PM
I really like the offerings; I only lament my lack of time this summer to knit them. However, one can dream.
MichaelaJ wrote
on Apr 25, 2008 3:09 PM
I will explain further...
I don't like to draw attention to myself. I have not yet learned colorwork(hey, I'm still a teen!), and I like muted colors. So, a lot of the projects in this issue just aren't me. But I still might get this issue as a treat.
RosiG wrote
on Apr 25, 2008 3:08 PM
I've never thought to do so much colorwork for summer garments. How heavy are the garments - heavy as in lbs/grams, not warmth.
MichaelaJ wrote
on Apr 25, 2008 2:58 PM
I like the lace hoodie and two tanks, but not much else. But hey, sometimes it takes a while before something starts to grow on me..
LaDonnaB wrote
on Apr 25, 2008 2:53 PM
I'm a 'winter knits' kinda gal - heavy longsleeve sweaters, etc - and was sorely disappointed in the spring issue. But I really love a number of items in the Summer issue! Great job!
GraceJ wrote
on Apr 25, 2008 2:19 PM
How amazing is the free Confectionary Tank!? I think it might even be my favorite!
RuthS@2 wrote
on Apr 25, 2008 2:09 PM
Thank you so much for including additional information about sizing/ease!!! It makes it so much easier to figure what size or modifications I want to make. I can't wait to get the magazine - then maybe I can narrow down my choices. Right now I think I want to make everything.
CaroleK wrote
on Apr 25, 2008 1:24 PM
Ohhh how gorgeous! I can't wait to receive this mag and I agree about colour! Colour can pop a now knitted garment into a gorgeous accomplishment!
Thank you for all your hard work.....
Blessings,
Carole in PA
CarolynS wrote
on Apr 25, 2008 1:18 PM
Oh how I wish I could knit during my meetings at work. Sigh. I could be so much more productive.

Love the patterns! Can't wait to try the Wallis Cardighan...
ChristineL wrote
on Apr 25, 2008 1:04 PM
Okay - I want to make Delft Tiles Tee, Imprint Tank, Drawstring Raglan, Wallis Cardigan, Confectionary Tank, Windowpane Socks, Wakame Lace Tunic, and Leaf Kimono Top. I like this issue a little :)