Summer Knits Galleries: Part One

Apr 27, 2008

Yes, it's time for another set of Knitting Daily Galleries! This time, the Gallery Gals of Interweave Press try on the garments from the new Summer 2008 issue of Knits, all for the Greater Glory of Knitting.

Erin tries an artsy pose in the Wallis Cardigan

For those of you who don't know, every time a new issue of Interweave Knits comes out, I gather together a bunch of the women in the office and ask them to try on the sample garments from the magazine. Then I take photos, and voila: the Knitting Daily Galleries! We do this so you can see the garments on a range of body types and sizes. There's only one sample for each design—the actual sample garment photographed for the magazine—which means that we can only show photos of folks who fit into that one sample. We are creative. Sometimes we show someone wearing a sweater in a size they would NEVER actually wear so you can see what that looks like.

What's it like on Gallery Day here in the Interweave offices?

Imagine that it is 40 degrees outside, and your camera-happy co-worker comes around asking you to try on tank tops and thin tees so she can take your photo and put it up on the Internet. You have fifteen minutes (it's your break) to try on ten garments and pose for pictures in someone's office.

That's what our Summer Gallery days were like here. We had a fabulously good time! We have more garments than ever this time. Each Gallery Gal found a favorite sweater that she wanted to take home with her. (We kept re-counting the sweaters to make sure none were, um, borrowed.)

We, the Gallery Gals of Knitting Daily, hope that you get as much pleasure out of these Galleries as we did taking the photos!

The five we are modeling for you today are:

On Wednesday, we will have five MORE garments from this great issue, plus a special treat on Friday. And then a week from now, a new gallery...da da DUM dum: The Men of Interweave model Kathy Zimmerman's Brick Pullover. You will not want to miss that one!

Each gallery page included the usual Sandi Running Commentary, which is me providing tips about fit and flatter.

Enjoy!
—Sandi

P.S. Pssst! Want more Gallery Goodness? Here's the list of all past Gallery pages!

Have a look at the Galleries above, and then come back and let us know what you think! Really. We love to hear from you. Yes...REALLY.

Sandi Wiseheart is the editor of Knitting Daily.

What's on Sandi's needles? There was a box on my doorstep when I got home on Friday, after sending out the Summer Preview post. That box was full of yarn. The yarn is for one of the Summer garments. (I am a hopeless case.)

Comments

VirgadeanR wrote
on May 8, 2008 7:56 PM
Thank you for the galleries. They are quite helpful and I am quite eager to cast on for the Leaf Kimono Top. The gauge is given for larger needles but only one size is given. Has anyone else cast on for this?
LauraM wrote
on May 8, 2008 3:44 PM
I just LOVE the Galleries--it really helps to interpret the patterns and customize the fit. And Sandi: your hips are disappearing! You sure have been slenderizing!
Carol Y wrote
on May 2, 2008 7:04 PM
For those who need info on positive and negative ease, look here: http://www.knittingdaily.com/knittinghelp/measuring2.html

I found this link in the right column of this page.
HelenH@3 wrote
on May 1, 2008 11:52 PM
Sandi -
The Roped Tank looked stunning on you, with the low scoop neck in front and back (though yes, some more ease for The Girls would probably help them breathe a bit better and make them happier). But the lines on the tank are really flattering for your wonderful, curvy figure.

Great work on the Gallery again! The Roped Tank looked beautiful on the cover of the Preview, and in the gallery looked even better.

My queue grows longer and longer.
LizS wrote
on May 1, 2008 11:53 AM
I meant Stefanie, of course. Sorry about that.
LizS wrote
on May 1, 2008 11:45 AM
The text on the Roped Shell page is off for Stephanie, it is describing the fit of a different garmet on the pregnant woman. Just thought you might want to fix that.
SarahB wrote
on May 1, 2008 4:47 AM
I'm also going to confess my ignorance about positive and negative ease; perhaps I've not been a member for long enough to be familiar with the terms.Can I find an explanation somewhere on the site?
Let's hear it for Debbie, who I think looks lovely in everything and for all the women who have been brave enough to expose themselves to comment.
Am I the only person who thinks the drawstring raglan is a mess? A darker colour at the top would improve it 100%
Keep up the good work; how about doing the same for crochet?
PamelaH@2 wrote
on Apr 30, 2008 10:24 PM
I'd love to see some models with smaller busts/waists, if you could. It's difficult for me to imagine what the garment would look like on my 32"bust/size 4 self. :( Lovely maternity suggestions!
Egrolman wrote
on Apr 30, 2008 8:50 PM
I'm new here, so if I'm posting in the wrong area, please excuse me. The pictures in the galleries all use the terms positive or negative ease, terms I'm not familiar with, nor have I seen them in any knitting pattern I've used. Could someone post a definition?
Thanks,
Ellen
on Apr 30, 2008 7:57 PM
I LOVED these galleries!! Your writing is so pithy and great and I feel like your thoughts about fit are a great lesson- I don't give fit that much thought, but it makes such a big difference, and it's so fun to see how they fit on the awesome models- keep it up!! Katie
PattyP@2 wrote
on Apr 30, 2008 10:31 AM
I LOVE ALL THE PATTERNS. I WILL DEFINITELY MAKE A COUPLE OF THEM.
Macuhica wrote
on Apr 30, 2008 9:00 AM
Galleries are excellent and most helpful. Thanks to all! But, I find all creations from summer issue really underwhelming ... a lot is left to be desired both in aesthetics and utilitarianism. KD is becoming much better than IK.
aaaaasssss wrote
on Apr 30, 2008 7:54 AM
I live in Florida and the colors and styles are great for our hot summers. I have only been knitting for two years and just starting to get into sweaters. What do you mean when you say 'negative ease'? Thanks for your newsletter, I have learned so much from them.
Ann S- Cocoa Beach, Florida
CarenJ wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 11:55 PM
I love this feature! It's so nice to be able to see what the creations look like on real humans shaped like me. Keep it up!
Lynn G. wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 7:07 PM
I also am not sure that it was a good idea for me to look at all the "previews" because it definitely does take away from the fun of receiving the magazine without any preconceived notions. That said, the galleries are wonderful, and I have to say that Sandi, you look fabulous in the Roped Shell! I don't care about distortions in the stitch pattern; who said the stitch pattern was supposed to look perfectly flat and even? I think the take-away lesson here is that large-busted women, esp those who have trimmed down their waistlines, actually look fabulous in form-fitting garments, with lots of stretch, rather than in garments which have a finished size close to your actual measurements. I think it makes you look slim and curvy and very young and hip. I do, however, wonder where this leaves me, as a teeny tiny petite 0-2 size with about a 34AA bra size...this continues to be confusing for me since I think I, too, could maximize my teeny assets by employing negative ease, but usually the smallest size given in patterns is at least a couple of inches bigger than my bustline, which actually measures around 31.5 inches, I think. Suggestions?
JenniferH wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 6:56 PM
I had to also state that I generally don't like Summer issues. I don't wear clothes of that sort, BUT the Wallis Cardigan is calling my name... in a MUCH larger style. I am so grateful to Elizabeth Zimmerman, as I have tools with which to alter any sweater to fit *me*. Jennifer
JenniferH wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 6:47 PM
Sandi, you look fabulous in that last piece! Yes, it is tight & yes, you are curvy & while you may feel uncomfy w/ that non existent ease, you look GORGEOUS!
Huzzah for the Gallery girls & the new baby to come! Jennifer
LugeneM wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 6:46 PM
I love the summer knit Galleries and the models are fab. Love to see the sweaters and tops on REAL women. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
OliveM wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 6:03 PM
We really don't need to see anything on Bertha - she looks great in everything - just like the models in the magazine.
Anonymous wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 5:54 PM
I can't wait to get my hands on the Summer issue! Saw the previews, but the Gallery really brings them home. I've now ordered the fiber for three... ah the stash pile grows!
knittingbox wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 5:12 PM
First of all, Sandi you look fabulous! And all the designs look fabulous on you! Congratulations!
Second, without those gallery shots, I would never have considered making the tunic for myself, however, now I wouldn't be surprised if I come home from tonight's knit night (conveniently held in a knitting shop), with yarn to knit up that tunic.

Thanks for this fabulous feature.
LaurieS wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 5:02 PM
I really love the Wallis cardigan (Yarn Schulana Sojabama (55% bamboo, 45% soy)and the Folded-cowl tee (65% organic cotton, 35% milk fiber). I have been looking for patterns using organic and plant-fiber yarns like these, so I am especially excited to see what can be done with them!
CaroleW wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 3:58 PM
Love the gallery modeling. It really helps show how the garments look.
JuliA wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 3:39 PM
Kudos for your models! As a costume designer I know how very different peoples shapes are, and this gallery really helps me think about what a garment will look like. I checked out the past galleries and found them really helpful. I am always amazed how much ease can play with the styles. Thanks for the insight!
JaniceT wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 3:11 PM
::sigh:: With a 55" bust I'm afraid the negative ease would be a bit too, too much on any of these! But I can't wait for my issue to arrive anyway!
AlisonK wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 2:15 PM
I absolutely LOVE these galleries! The best idea anyone has had in knitting for ages. It is one thing to be told to look for certain features in clothing to suit your body shape, but it can still be hard to visualise how something is actually going to look. Obviously, with store bought clothes, you just try them on, but when you want to make your own it is SO useful to be able to have a look at a variety of different people wearing the garment. Like Amy P, I particularly like to see Sandi modelling, as we share some, er, attributes!

As for changing my preconceptions - I would definitely give the Elinor Tunic more consideration now. I had also thought the colourwork band would be a mistake for me, but am thinking again.
IreneM wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 2:11 PM
In the latest issue of the ones shown today, my favorite is the Wallis Cardigan. I don't care for real short sleeves [Folded Cowl Tee] on any adult. I only like them on little kids, but of course one can always knit them longer.
AmyP wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 1:10 PM
I'm always happy to see the garments modeled on Sandi. I'm built a bit like her, so it gives me a chance to see whether or not I should even attempt a garment like that for myself.
BethR@4 wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 1:09 PM
I soo love that you guys try them on to show us how they wear! It helps so much, specially in determining changes we can make to fit better. P.S.... how come all the pics of sandy are blurry?????
BeverlyP wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 12:59 PM
I will resist looking at the galleries until after I get my summer issue, for I love to see the new patterns for the first time as I turn each page of the magazine. Each issue is so special, and as wonderful as the preview gallery is, I prefer reading and savoring the magazine first. Then, the galleries, as a post view, are wonderful indeed!
Beverly
RareJewel wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 11:54 AM
I disagree with the person who said busty women can't wear these styles. Of course we can. We may just have to go a size up or customize it some. I didn't agree with every change mentioned in the article. Some looked great as they were to me.Each person is free to follow the patternor change it as they personally see fit.I'm definetly looking forward to Part 2 of the gallery.
peneloped wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 11:46 AM
I love the Leaf Kimono Top! I definitely have to knit one soon. Gratitude to all you brave "real" ladies that put yourselves out there with your measurements emblazoned across the internet. It really helps to know what a project will look like in real life. Thanks again!
SheWhoKnits wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 11:40 AM
Love that you model sweater. Disappointed with the patterns so far.
MeredithT@2 wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 11:34 AM
Thank you so much for modeling the summer issue pieces on someone who is pregnant! I just entered my third trimester, and I was drooling over that lace top, but resigned myself to waiting until after I lost the baby weight to make it. Now I'm totally going to jump in and knit a bigger version, and then enjoy all my positive ease after the fact. I learn so much from these galleries. Thanks!!!
JillW wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 11:29 AM
I have a comment on Sandi's fit comments. It seems easy enough to look at a sweater that is already made and say, the armhole needs to be bigger, or the straps need to be narrower. But when we are actually making the sweater from the pattern, how can we know how these details will look until we try it on ourselves? Except for the length, and perhaps the waste shaping, it doesn't seem like you could predict ahead of time what you would need to change in the pattern to get a better fit (unless one of us happens to be shaped exactly like one of the models shown!). That said, I too love the galleries, and use them as little rewards for myself - get one task done at work, and then I get to go look at the next sweater gallery! Thanks for doing this Sandi!
Deerarts wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 11:29 AM
Doing these "real" people modeling the sweaters is sooo revealing & useful. Thank you so much.
KarenC@3 wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 11:06 AM
This brings me to the question, "why doesn't the magazine show the garments on "real women?""
I too enjoy the Galleries so that I can actually see what these garments will look like on women who are not twenty years old, 6 ft. tall, and weigh 100 pounds.
Please, please, please, have a few models in the magazine who have grey hair and weigh more than 100 pounds. From all the comments your readers will love you for it.
SusanP wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 11:06 AM
I think the most helpful, educational, and informative thing you do is show the sweaters on other people and comment about the sizing. Your comments about sweaters in the Spring issue of Knits and how you would alter them has been really insipirational. I have always feared making something for myself that was more than just a shapeless bag with at least 4 inches of positive ease and now I feel confident enough to try something more shapely and fitted - and try some designing of my own. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Susan Palmer
JanL wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 11:02 AM
I'm not excited and a little disappointed in the patterns in this issue, but I love the galleries. ;)
MartaR wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 10:58 AM
Sandi, I love seeing you in the galleries! You are looking gorgeous! I'm proud of you for losing weight and working for better health (so you have more energy for knitting!) Treat yourself to an "official" bra fitting and you will look even younger and fitter. And be more secure and comfortable feeling. Many good wishes from a fellow knitter.
JayelF wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 10:54 AM
I love the galleries. A request: if any of you make patterns from the magazine in sizes for your real-life bodies, I would love to see them.
on Apr 29, 2008 10:33 AM
I appreciate that your models are real women. It gives me a much better picture of how the sweater will look on me.
PatriciaW wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 9:59 AM
It is helpful to see the garments on a variety of shapes and sizes. It would have been more helpful if I had also been able to look at the magazine representation, either by having my subscription issue or having you post the magazine photo along with the Gallery Day photos.
KarenW@3 wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 9:46 AM
The Galleries are the MOST helpful idea I have ever seen to help knitters understand how these garments "might" fit them! I wish everyone shared how their patterns would fit on real people. Thanks a million to the gracious models! You're the best!
LynneW wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 9:27 AM
Okay, I have two questions.

1. The Elinor - why do you say that the Elinor Tunic is too tight on Erin with 6" negative ease, but comfy on Sandi with 9" of negative ease? Am I misunderstanding the concept of negative ease? I thought the more of it you had, the tighter the item?

2. On the Wallis Cardigan, why are the sleeves too long for everybody? Is that a designer oops? Or just personal preference?

And Thank You So Much for instituting this feature, where we get to see the way one item fits on several body types and sizes. It really helps me understand the whole concept of Making Things Fit Right. Please thank your models for being so brave to help the rest of us! I'm about to do my first (gasp!) sweater ever (in almost 30 years of knitting, I've never before dared make anything that had to actually fit right!), and all the tips I am getting from your columns are very helpful.

Mega thanks!
Lynne
AnnH wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 9:03 AM
These gallery pages, combined with Sandi's commentary, are the most wonderful service you can imagine. They have given me the courage to twiddle with patterns boldly and become a more Fearless Knitter.
PhyllisG wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 8:59 AM
I seeing the garments on so many different sized models. It really brings the garments to life and lets you see if you want to make it for yourself.
KarenI wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 8:47 AM
Love the Galleries. Everything looks fantastic on Bertha but most of us aren't built like Bertha! I like seeing the garments on "real" people.
AnneG wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 8:02 AM
I love the Roped Tank and the Leaf Kimono top and the Wallis cardigan. Sandi, you look great. Katie, congratulations on your pregnancy, you look adorable! I have to ask: Were you the model for most of the great stuff in No Sheep For You?
Anonymous wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 7:46 AM
I really like how you have a variety of shapes to model the sweaters. Sandy your shape and mine are so close we could be twins. Keep utting the sweaters on for me I really apppreciate it. Roxane in frosty Green Bay!
JeanneC@2 wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 7:46 AM
I love this feature! Knitters too often make garments too big to be flattering. (Hey, I'm guilty of that, too!) Amazing how everyone looks pretty good in everything.
Elaineburke wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 7:44 AM
Hmmmm...not so sure about the garments in this issue, I actually don't like any of them which is a first. That said I think the gallery is a wonderful thing, long may it reign
SusanL wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 7:40 AM
I do love the galleries. Its great to see the creative genius on different body types and be able to say, "hey, that would look good on me too!" Thank you so much!!!!!
TracyW wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 7:37 AM
This is a brilliant idea! It really helps to know what a pattern may look like on me, when I see it modeled on body types more like mine. Keep doing this--I look forward to seeing more!
KallieKY wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 7:21 AM
Love the galleries! It so good to see the designs on "real" bodies! And Sandi, you look amazing! Congrats on your success.
on Apr 29, 2008 7:21 AM
I like seeing the different body types in the patterns. Almost NONE of us look like the models in the magazines! Thanks and keep up the wit and wisdom, I love it!
MaryB@5 wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 7:04 AM
I think they all look terrible. I wouldn't knit any of them.
KathleenD@2 wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 6:52 AM
This is the first issue that I know (from the 5 shown) that I will not knit. I guess I prefer actual sweaters, not short sleeved tees and tanks. These didn't seem to be very flattering. Sorry!
LindaG@2 wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 5:58 AM
The galleries are a wonderful idea. For some garments (the Wallis cardigan here), it might be helpful to include the ease in the part of the garment that's more fitted than the bust -- high hip here, waist in some others. (If you and your models are game -- I know I wouldn't want MY measurements out there!)
J.P.T wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 4:01 AM
I love the galleries, as usual.. but could there possibly be a random guy trying the Brick Pullover?

It would be nice to also see it, along with the ladies garments.
KathyF@3 wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 2:53 AM
Really nice job with the galleries! The range of sizes represented was very helpful.
KarenB@2 wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 2:39 AM
Thanks again for the wonderful preview. I can't tell you how much it helps to see these garments of real people before deciding whether or not to cast on for myself. Sandi--you look great!
MelanieD wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 1:41 AM
What a fantastically useful tool you provide here! I am incredibly impressed that you guys took the time and trouble to do this; it will make a huge difference to my choice of patterns and how I approach any tweaking! 1000thanks ;)
Galia L wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 1:16 AM
Firat of all, thanks a lot for the galleries. They are a great help!.

I'm a new subscriber about to get my first issue, and i'm very happy to see the gallery BEFORE i get the mag. I, like many other knitters, have a (bad) habbit of running to the LYS as soon as i get a mag, only to be disappointed when i find out after a few days, that my knitting has fitting problems and i should get more/less yarn, or even drop the project entirely. After seeing the galleries first, i can plan my knitting ahead. I even found out I really love the roped shell, which i hardly noticed in the preview, and would probably make it even before the Wallis, which was my "love at first sight" of this issue. Thanks again, and keep up the good work. You are all fabulous!
Treeba wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 12:48 AM
I so appreciate seeing the knitwear on real women. Thanks to all! Unfortunately, there isn't anything in this set that would look good on me... maybe the hoodie will show up later in the week? I'd also love to see the wrap in action.
Carol Y wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 12:47 AM
Love the galleries even if I don't have my mag yet - just gets me more anxious to see it! I liked the Roped Shell immediately, but I really appreciate all the fitting info. I think it would be good for someone with wide shoulders like me - it needs to be spread out more on top so there isn't so much drape.

Leaf Kimono top definitely needs the ease. I like it as pictured in the mag.

The Wallis Cardigan is stunning. I love theses retro pieces by Melissa. I kind of like the fit on Erin - it's hard to tell it's too small, unless you look at the magazine. I do really like the fit in the mag, but the shoulders look good on Erin too. I would make it with the ease.

Two others that caught my eye are Wakame Lace Tunic and Apres Surf Hoodie - great pieces!
EileenD wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 12:15 AM
First, I want to say how much I appreciate and admire all you gals that just jump into these garments at a moment's notice and pose for the camera!!! Your ease with your photo communication makes me feel as if we're all hanging out together!!! LOVED the Wallis cardigan, wondered what the folded cowl tee would look like w/ 2 fronts? And the roped shell is absolutely beautiful. How would we at home know to adjust the pattern - just the schematic and our body measurements? Wish I had a try-on garment!!
knittinsis in Irvine
GwenZ wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 12:08 AM
I look forward to your garment galleries. I learn so much about ease and fitting by seeing actual garments on real women. Keep up the great work!
LisaW wrote
on Apr 29, 2008 12:03 AM
LOVE that you show these designs on real people, not just the models (though I feel your models are much more representative of 'real' people than Vogue Knitting's). Also I appreciate your noting the busts and ease figures. Even though I know about ease from sewing, I hadn't thought about it much before for knitting. Many of my knits are a bit loose on me, so you have inspired me to try knitting some garments with negative ease in the future. A new concept for me. Thanks!
Cfbandit wrote
on Apr 28, 2008 11:37 PM
Please make sure to profusely thank each and every one of your models. Even though they might not match exactly me, they each offer a different body perspective and the commentary you provide is an AWESOME help to see and put an eye to EXACTLY what goes "wrong" with a garment. I say "wrong" because its nothing that is not fixable - a quick adjustment here and there and these garments are SO flattering.

I'm VERY impressed with this issue. I never buy the summer ones, but I think this one is going on my list!
RonaS wrote
on Apr 28, 2008 11:17 PM
Once again,Sandi, the galleries really have influenced my thoughts regarding the patterns and knittability of them. I still don't care for the cowl neck tee, but have changed my mind about the Elinor Tunic and the Leaf Kimono Top. Even the cabled tank has possibilities after seeing some options with ease. Keep up the good work and give the girls a big hug from all of us they've helped.
LesleyM wrote
on Apr 28, 2008 10:55 PM
Loved the galleries so far. I must knit the roped tank. I think out of all the things I take away from these galleries is learning what you would do differently for certain body types and why. I just don't instinctively know what I need to do for my body type. And it's really helpful to know how much ease an item should have. I'm my own worst critic and sometimes I think nothing looks good on me so I'm not sure how to wear it. Anyway, thanks for the galleries and helping me past that.
tommequilts wrote
on Apr 28, 2008 10:37 PM
I really love these features! Seeing the garments on "real" people makes it much easier for me to decide what will look good -- and won't! -- on me.
TheresaD wrote
on Apr 28, 2008 10:35 PM
Sandi,
What a wonderful surprise. A box full of yarn! I have no friends who knit. I know it's sad. I hope you have lots of fun with your two needles and skeins of yarn. Enjoy!

Theresa, WA
FayeH wrote
on Apr 28, 2008 9:16 PM
I think the reason the Wallis cardigan looks so good on Bertha is because there is no shirt under it. It's just odd looking over a shirt, I think.
Boothacus wrote
on Apr 28, 2008 9:00 PM
I haven't received my magazine yet either! But, I do love the Galleries! They are great. It gives me a whole new concept about knitting and how things fit and don't fit and that something can be done about it. Bertha does seem to have lost her head with the crazy dieting, but you having to admit she's got a heck of a well proportioned torso.
The Gallery makes all the difference in the world! Thanks again!
Heather@4 wrote
on Apr 28, 2008 8:53 PM
Thanks so much for the galleries...I wasn't lovin' the preview but seeing the sweaters "in person" makes me a bit more interested.
TamaraH wrote
on Apr 28, 2008 8:49 PM
I am a subscriber to the magazine and I don't even have my copy yet, and I feel like I have already seen it all. A little disappointing. Don't get me wrong, I love the galleries, but maybe AFTER I have actually seen the magazine in person.
Tammy in TX
KathieM wrote
on Apr 28, 2008 8:07 PM
I think that the Elinor Tunic looks best on Bertha, that the cowl tee looks best worn backwards, and that when making the leaf kimono, you'll really need to pay attention to how the bust line sits. Sandi, you look great in all, but especially the roped shelled and leaf kimono - go with the negative ease - with your successful weight loss, you should reward yourself.

The gallery girls - are they really spending their break time for the modeling? If so, come on, give them a break. They are doing a service for the magazine, and they should be modeling on company time and not their break time!
Bonnie wrote
on Apr 28, 2008 7:55 PM
The galleries are just amazingly educational. Keep doing them!
C.Rightnour wrote
on Apr 28, 2008 7:55 PM
Thank you so much for the Galleries. It is great to see your garments on "real" people and to see how they fit with various amounts of ease. Kudos to the very clever and thoughtful person at IK came up with this feature.
PattieM wrote
on Apr 28, 2008 7:54 PM
I love the galleries, but wish you'd wait until the issue is out, it spoils the fun of getting the new mag in the mail!
AdrienneB wrote
on Apr 28, 2008 7:52 PM
I love this feature. I will say, looking at the listing of the galleries, it appears a few more have been added. However, it easily, could be a memory issue on my own part.

As for Bertha looking good in everything, I don't think she favors the items that need a good shoulder line, or at least arms.
JaneD@2 wrote
on Apr 28, 2008 7:51 PM
Would you please include height as well as bust measurement with your models?
JaniceH wrote
on Apr 28, 2008 7:47 PM
Hmmm, I liked the picture of the Leaf Kimono Top in the magazine, but the under bust seam didn't really appear to hit ANY of the real people right. That's interesting.
CarolS@2 wrote
on Apr 28, 2008 7:40 PM
Please...."the girls" is just not cute or funny anymore. How about the good old fashioned "bust" word, or chest, or bosom. or buzooms, anything but "the girls".
Just a rant.
TinaF@2 wrote
on Apr 28, 2008 7:33 PM
Fantastic idea. Helps to see how it looks on a "real" body. I really liked the roped shell on all the models. Probably because of the classic lines in it. Coming from Sunny Queensland Australia, the colours are a bit autumn, wintery. I'd change the colours. I liked the Folded Cowl Tee with reversible option and the Leaf Kimono Top as well. Look forward to seeing more.
MWilser wrote
on Apr 28, 2008 7:27 PM
I am Sandy's size with the no-butts problem. I would not make any of these for myself (sigh). They are designed for the non-busty set. Maybe the next batch will be more encouraging! :)
KarenL@3 wrote
on Apr 28, 2008 7:24 PM
OK, I don't actually knit (crochet and quilt mostly) but have always wanted to do so. With this feature I find myself drooling over all the samples. It just makes such a difference seeing the actual item on human bodies that are all shapes and sizes ... what real people would look like in them. So, guess I had better get myself off to some knitting classes.
Dr.M wrote
on Apr 28, 2008 7:23 PM
Of all of the sweaters in the summer gallery - I just like the Wallis Cardigan the best. It's one I would make, as soon as I had the time, LOL. DrMolly
Kimz0519 wrote
on Apr 28, 2008 7:22 PM
Thanks as always for the galleries - they really do help get a picture of how the garments will look on a variety of shapes.
on Apr 28, 2008 7:20 PM
I really like the galleries. However, the Elinor tank seems to have the colored band unfortunatly accentuating what is the widest part of most of us---the hip region!
CindyW@2 wrote
on Apr 28, 2008 7:16 PM
Sandi -- I LOVE this feature. It is so great to see how these sweaters look on real people with real bodies. Thanks to you and your colleagues for putting yourselves out there for our benefit!
EvaM@2 wrote
on Apr 28, 2008 7:14 PM
Hi Folks - The Gallery shots of everyone in the same sweater is the most amazing visual aide for me . . . please be sure to THANK EACH AND EVERY MODEL PROFUSELY for providing the variety of body types needed to make this type of exercise a success! It was also very helpful to hear the different design adjustments for each sweater/model. Thank you thank you thank you!
Cheers,
Eva McKimm
Nelson, BC
Monkeygurl wrote
on Apr 28, 2008 7:11 PM
Wow. As always, the products look completely different on the different body shapes. But you know what? They look more appealing to knit (to me) than as modeled by the professionals.

I agree with your sleeve assessment on the Wallis, but not with the ?button closed? part. I think it looks great, doesn't look like it's pulling, and really is a complimentary look on you.

Thanks much for the many interpretations. Guess I?m gonna have to buy this issue after all. :)
PattyG wrote
on Apr 28, 2008 7:09 PM
Okay, I just can't help myself... I am really tired of Bertha looking so good in everything - hrmph
AnnL@3 wrote
on Apr 28, 2008 7:01 PM
Sandi - I LOVE your commentaries! 'Cause you are so talented a writer - with a great sense of humor! And I really liked the Wallis shell - so pretty!

Ann
LaurelK wrote
on Apr 28, 2008 7:01 PM
The Galleries are the very best. Could ease be listed for all patterns each issue?
DianaF wrote
on Apr 28, 2008 6:49 PM
Thank you for reinforcing the importance of altering a pattern to fit who will really be wearing it. So much disappointment could be avoided if knitters realized up front that not every pattern will fit them as written, that every body is different, and that the reason we make our own garments is to customize them perfectly.
MaryT wrote
on Apr 28, 2008 6:46 PM
For the Greater Glory of Knitting! Amen, hallelujia!
AnitaM wrote
on Apr 28, 2008 6:41 PM
Wow! Sandi, you look AMAZING!!!! And flaunt that negative ease. You've done the work - you deserve to show it off! :)
I must admit, I was totally underwhelmed when I first saw the Summer Preview (I'm really not into colourwork), but seeing the designs on you lovely ladies really helps. I'm wondering how the roped shell would work in a single colour? Because I love the design, just not the 2 colour thing. Oh, and I LOVE the Apres Surf Hoodie - really hoping that makes a gallery appearance. Thanks for another great post - I always learn so much!!!
Del wrote
on Apr 28, 2008 6:35 PM
I love these galleries. Sometimes I'm kind of "meh" on a pattern when I first see it in the mag, but seeing it on real people really helps.
MichaelaJ wrote
on Apr 28, 2008 5:58 PM
I hope y'all do the Apres Surf Hoodie and the tiles tee. Those are what I wanna see. Oh, and the tunic! My mom likes it.
Amy@2 wrote
on Apr 28, 2008 5:53 PM
I love your commentary, mainly because you have a great sense of humor. Thanks!
Anonymous wrote
on Apr 28, 2008 5:49 PM
Sandi you look great. Would you like to share what you're doing??? What a difference it makes to see the designs on real people. Now I'm thinking of making one.