The Eunny Galleries (AKA The IK Editor Becomes A Gallery Gal)

May 1, 2008

Today we're doing something that I don't think any knitting magazine has ever done before: The editor of Interweave Knits, Eunny Jang, is trying on some of the garments from the Summer 2008 issue of her own magazine, so we can show you what they look like on HER.

Eunny, trying on the Drawstring Raglan

And thus a new Gallery Gal is born...

This time Eunny herself will be providing the commentary on how she would modify the garments to fit her shape and size. (Eunny also asked me to chime in with any additional comments I might have. We'll see...)

Let's start off with some of Eunny's thoughts about the garments in the Summer issue and how she herself might wear them:

The Editor Galleries: Notes from Eunny Jang

I’ve got a confession to make: I feel most comfortable in jeans and a tee-shirt, and the vast majority of my clothes are in solid, somber hues. While I love to knit and admire items full of color or texture, for my day-to-day clothing, I tend to fall back on the easy, the comfortable, the unremarkable. This issue’s knits, however, got me out of the box: Figuring out how richer pieces can fit into my lazy-girl wardrobe can be tricky, but is rewarding.

As usual for the galleries, I’ll guide you on what modifications I’d make to suit me. Not a single knitter in the world is any one “standard” size, and I’m no exception—I’m short (about 5'2" on a good day), not a waif, and have a thick upper body for my height. I’m also very long-waisted (even though I’m short, I tend to find that I need to lengthen sweaters rather than shorten them), short-legged, busty, and broad-shouldered. To top it off, I’ve got some bad scarring from a long-ago accident and prefer not to go sleeveless or too bare on top, so I’m always thinking about how to layer.

Cheers!
—Eunny Jang
Editor, Interweave Knits magazine

Visit Eunny's Gallery

List of all past Gallery pages

I've been PODCASTED!

Download the Top 5 Winning Patterns! (free)

Sandi here again...and have I got something fun for you! This week, Kathy and Steve Elkins of WEBS America's Yarn Store invited me to be a guest on their podcast, Ready Set Knit! Come join us as we chat about the Readers' Choice Award winners, what it's like to be a knitting blogger and make mistakes in public, and lots of other fun knitting stuff! Starting tomorrow morning (May 3), you can download the podcast from the WEBS website, or you can look for it on iTunes.

What's a podcast? It's a little radio show you can listen to on your computer or download to your MP3 player. Grab a cup of tea and your knitting and listen while you get a few rows done!

Spectrum Scarf (free)

This Week's Featured Free Pattern!

Download the Spectrum Scarf, featured in the Yarn Spotlight section of the Summer 2008 issue of Interweave Knits. Take four skeins, each a different color, of a soft laceweight baby alpaca yarn. Knit with four strands of the same color held together and a large needle, this is the easiest lace scarf you will every make, due to the simple, no-brain-drain lace pattern. ("Great TV knitting!" says Eunny.) The color changes are clever: changing the number of strands of each color you hold together as you knit, in a gradually changing spectrum from light to dark.

We love to hear what you think! Really. Would I lie to you?

Sandi Wiseheart is the editor of Knitting Daily.

What's on Sandi's needles? This week has been the Week of Knitting Weirdness here in Chez Sandita. I had to send one of my projects to the Naughty Corner (hoodie for Hubby) due to a disagreement about row gauge and sleeve length. The dog, who has never liked yarn before, chewed on a second project, destroying it partly. I broke a sock needle. (I think I'll do some spinning this weekend.

Comments

JuliaG wrote
on May 8, 2008 9:26 AM
What happened to attractive garments? I have to echo the reader who is concerned about the design of the Summer 2008 garments. I have been involved in the apparel industry and been responsible for designing sweater and sportswear lines. Even allowing for the "onesy" nature of a handknitting magazine's designs, wow,I haved to say these knits are not flattering to anyone and the patterns and color combinations border on strange. I applaud the appearance of new knit silhouettes, but I urge you to take a firmer hand with the designs, especially the patterns' scale and look.
LaurieV wrote
on May 6, 2008 11:46 PM
I'm 57, knitting for 53, what is it with negative ease....is it just for the very young?
I teach knitting and the biggest dilemma for new knitters is understanding ease, or should I say positive ease, how do I throw negative ease into the mix?
AnnF@3 wrote
on May 6, 2008 1:33 PM
Thanks to Eunny for participating in the galleries! It's wonderful to see her, and it just so happens that I am also broad-shouldered and long-waisted. I always have such a hard time imagining what a shirt/sweater will look like on me, and have been scared to invest all the time in knitting one without some guidance! I'll definately make use of Eunny's insight! Thanks again.
Ann in E. Washington
Lana wrote
on May 5, 2008 4:11 PM
I learn so much from the galleries. I don't like many of the designs but that doesnt' really matter. The point of knitting magazines--for me at least--is to give me ideas. For all of you who are having trouble with the styles, why not take the patterns and mix them up? A sleeve from one, a bodice from another, and perhaps a hem from a third. No one says that you have to knit the sweater as seen in the magazine. Get creative and learn from the sweaters without having to like or even knit any of them.

And also, Sandi, there are some mistakes on the gallery pages. You might want to check them to correct the web problems.
JoAnneWM wrote
on May 5, 2008 3:10 PM
Thank you Eunny. The drawstring raglan looks better on you than on the magazine model. It makes me think twice about that pattern. Even though you said you would change the colors I think they look good on you.
despinne wrote
on May 5, 2008 3:04 PM
I love Eunny's vest--I was just thinking about making something similar. It looks pretty good on you, Eunny!
Eliza wrote
on May 5, 2008 11:08 AM
is it me or is Eunny extremely photogenic? I wasn't so impressed with the other galleries; I actually was turned off to most of the sweaters as a result. But Eunny brought me back to the light! Thanks for modeling! And thanks also for the very helpful commentary!
EllenL@2 wrote
on May 5, 2008 10:45 AM
Help, Sandi!!!!!!!!!!! I am a new knitter (scarves only) and LOVE the Spectrum Scarf published today. I have read and reread the directions and find them difficult for us poor beginners to understand. (Especially how to combine the colors and how to join in new strands.)Would it be possible for you to publish the same directions VERY SIMPLIFIED for us dufuses out there who would love a knitting challange. LOVE your website! Thanks, Ellen
SueD@3 wrote
on May 5, 2008 9:47 AM
Love the freebes. Keep them coming. Thanks for the scarf pattern. Sue Day
JudyM wrote
on May 5, 2008 9:44 AM
Thanks, Eunny. Your proportions are similar to mine, I'm only 5' tall and a bit wider in the hips. Many of the things you've noted would be my problems, too. Thanks again for helping "us petites" out. I've found that in sweater sleeves I always have to shorten about three inches. Do I have exceptionally short arms?

This issue of IK is a knockout. Great job!
JudithS wrote
on May 5, 2008 8:15 AM
Eunny, Your comments tell us that you begin your ideas for designs for the mag. with your own preferences. Wrong, Wrong, Wrong. I have never worn a t-shirt or a pair of jeans in my life. You are supposed to be providing wearable garments for ALL of us.
PS, the cardi you are wearing in the photo looks as though it shrunk in the wash.
I have been a great fan of this mag. since Issue One. I'm moving on!!
NinaB wrote
on May 4, 2008 11:30 PM
The new issue looks so cute! Has anyone else actually received their copy? I have seen it in several knitting shops now and though I am a subscriber I still don't have mine. I don't know if it's a thing that subscribers get theirs last or if it's a problem with my own subscription. Anyone?
PatM wrote
on May 4, 2008 10:35 PM
I used the multiple strand technique about 20 years ago making an afghan for my daughter to take to college. It was in the school colors and was quite a hit with others in the dorm. It also made for a very fast project -- 4 strands of worsted goes so fast.
on May 4, 2008 5:43 PM
Hi,
InterweaveKnits-sum'08 has the best collection of patterns that I've seen in a long time. However, frustration has set in. The yarn called for to make the TidewaterWrap is not available, EVEN from its own company. I live in an area that doesn't have a lot of yarn shops & online has become a good option.... not this time tho. What to do? Substitute, of course, but how did this happen in a national publication?
Searching for alternatives in Iowa....... Pat O
RareJewel wrote
on May 4, 2008 4:32 PM
The Eunny Galleries are my favorites. I agree with all who say Eunny looks great in all of the designs. No mods were really needed and stop being so hard on yourself. I love the Spectrum scarf.
AmyM@3 wrote
on May 4, 2008 11:42 AM
Any chance you will release the Orenburg shawl pattern from Summer 2000 as a download (purchase or free). I've always wanted that pattern. Love seeing the older stuff available again...more shawls, please! Thanks!
JaynaM wrote
on May 4, 2008 10:41 AM
Thank you for "The Eunny Gallery." Now we can see how the fashions are supposed to fit when knit to the correct size for the model. :)
Jayna in IL
SusanM wrote
on May 3, 2008 9:38 PM
Re. the eunny Gallery, thank you so much. That was great. comments were very useful. Susan
AlyseS wrote
on May 3, 2008 9:34 PM
I love that you share the galleries with different people wearing the sweaters and your comments about them, but it seems as if you would have to knit each sweater twice (at least) to get it right for you.
MaryH@8 wrote
on May 3, 2008 4:52 PM
Although the galleries are interesting and informative, they are also discouraging for those of us who are not small. 34" finished size! Many of us have never, as adults, been that small. In future issues, would it be possible to have some garments knit up in the largest size and shown on larger people? Almost all of your models are both short and small. And you seem to forget that for many of us, adjustments need to be made for hips and stomach. You would make many of us happy and broaden your audience if you would show some larger garments and women.
Mary H.
LindaW@3 wrote
on May 3, 2008 2:20 PM
Busty? shoulders? Oh, Eunny. Every one of those sweaters worked on her, much more so than most of the "regular women" represented in the gallery. She and Bertha must be related!
RoseM wrote
on May 3, 2008 1:53 PM
I think Eunny underestimates how she looks in all these sweaters..I think she looks great!! and the different styles are just that..but she looks very stylish in the ones that are more stylized. she looks very serious and self-effacing..a nice person. Rose
Korie BethB wrote
on May 3, 2008 1:42 PM
Eunny is absolutely beautiful! Even the sweater that she thinks broadens her shoulders looks amazing on her. I can't wait to get my hands on this issue... the choices are amazing. When do subscriptions ship?
DeborahH@3 wrote
on May 3, 2008 1:21 PM
Excellent! I love this blog! And I love this knit mag! The galleries are so incredibly helpful I am truly truly grateful to Sandi and all involved in making those available to us. And Eunny, how awesome that she's decided to join in the gallery fun!
Kiwi.k.du wrote
on May 3, 2008 11:20 AM
So... you both mentioned that you liked the idea of leaving off the sleeves on the Wallis Cardigan. Is it that simple? Just leave off the sleeves and you're done? Is there some finishing step you'd recommend for the armholes first? (In my ever-restless knitting pattern brain I consider doing these kinds of crazy things -- leave off sleeves, reinvent shapes, take the chainsaw out, y'know, stuff like that -- but am never sure how to do them 'correctly'.)
Anonymous wrote
on May 3, 2008 11:09 AM
Eunny you look great.....you're way to hard on yourself.
BeverlyS@2 wrote
on May 3, 2008 11:07 AM
I just had to say how good I think these garments fit Eunny. Her shoulders do not seem that broad to me, and as a makeup artist once told me, "Your shoulders are wider than your hips and that is always a good thing". From the photos, her small frame looks well proportioned.
PatriciaD wrote
on May 3, 2008 10:40 AM
Having just received my 'Knits'. My question is why inthe worldwould you show case such a beautiful sweater as Michele Rose Orne's Autumn Asters on a very small lady? It hangs on her likea sack! What a real HORROR?!!
on May 3, 2008 10:13 AM
I think it is incredibly generous of all of you to model garments showing us how real people look and what issues need addressing. I especially appreciated Eunny mentioning reasons she doesn't wear certain garments as I have some structural issues myself. Thanks so much! MJ Brisbane
FayeH wrote
on May 3, 2008 10:01 AM
I think every single one of these garments looks perfect on Eunny. I read the modifications and was surprised that any were needed! Honestly, she could have been the model in the issue.
Imaknitter wrote
on May 3, 2008 9:30 AM
Maybe I need to go back and read some of the other articles on fit. If my question has been answered already, sorry!
I can't base the fit of my garments on my bust. I have to instead, figure what will fit over my stomach/waist. Unfortunately, I am one of those full-figured gals who has it all settled into my tummy area. In your galleries, I have yet to see someone shaped like me. Can you share some tips on fitting someone whose tummy area is bigger than anywhere else, including her hips?
Kuaikuai wrote
on May 3, 2008 9:01 AM
Dear Eunny,

My husband is from Shanghai, and in 2001, when my daughter was five, we were visiting his family. At that time, there were high-fashion dolls for sale, "Chinese Barbies", and we bought two for my daughter. The dolls had the same unrealistic proportions as the traditional Barbie, only more beautiful because they were Asian. Unconsciously, I've been imagining that you look just like one of those dolls! And I've hated you for it, because how can someone with that figure understand the challenges of knitting for a real figure. Now I know that you are even more beautiful, but you also have a real body, and I feel so much more confidence in your editorship and design. Thanks for opening yourself up to us. :)

Avery

p.s. You worry needlessly about your figure. Anyone who looks at you is immediately captivated by your smile and your dimple, and you could have the figure of Venus de Milo and still outshine any fashion model!!!
MjO wrote
on May 3, 2008 6:40 AM
I think this is by far the best site and most realistic site for knitters on the net. I am a long time knitter who teaches knitting and have recently despaired with all the "huge" sloppy projects that are out there for knitters in general. A new knitter can work through almost any pattern with a skilled teacher and should not be confined to bulky scarfs and sweaters etc...as with all that INTERWEAVE has done...Knitting Daily is very high class. I have watched Eunny and read her for a while now in blogs, chat lines etc...she is the perfect person to watch over Interweave. And Sandi Wiseheart is just that very wise and with much heart...love the editing!
Camilla WV wrote
on May 3, 2008 6:28 AM
This scarf looks and sounds wonderful but...how do you get the four strands etc? Re roll the skeins into four parts?
JenniferM@5 wrote
on May 3, 2008 6:08 AM
I appreciate ALL the Gallery pages. Valuable info on tweaking fit. It would be nice to see some diversity of size in the magazine models. A selection of garments that look their best on a dress form or Eunny is not too useful to the general public in this country. Sadly "tiny and cute" is not the norm.
EricaH@2 wrote
on May 3, 2008 12:55 AM
OK, I will start by saying that these things look amazing on Eunny. But why are you calling her "busty?" She also does not have broad shoulders.
MaggieR wrote
on May 2, 2008 11:12 PM
Oh my god, Eunny has stolen my body! For serious, just chopped my head off and added her own. No wonder all of her designs look good on me... Now give it back!
DebK wrote
on May 2, 2008 9:16 PM
I love the Spectrum Scarf, but four skeins of Alpaca Twist at $22 each is expensive. Plus, there is so much yardage per skein. Does anyone have any substitutions in mind? Deb
KellyN wrote
on May 2, 2008 9:12 PM
I haven't commented in a while, but felt the need to tell Eunny how cute she looks. The drawstring raglan will be on my 'to do' list now. Sandi, it looked cute on you too! I love these galleries, and I love the magazine.
MeriT wrote
on May 2, 2008 8:43 PM
You know, I love these galleries but it poses a problem for me. While I love reading about how the different pieces would be altered for different bodies, I wonder how I would know from looking at a pattern that I might need to alter the length of a sleeve or lower a neckline. Your comments come after the piece is finished while I'm still in the dreaming stage. I guess I'm just not experienced enough to look at a pattern I like and know I need to make the not so obvious changes. But keep the galleries coming, with time I'll figure it all out! I hope
MichelleM@2 wrote
on May 2, 2008 8:35 PM
I thought Eunny or someone who loves her designed and knit every single one of those garments just for her - every single one looked wonderful, better than on any of the other Gallery Gals, IMHO. I just didn't see the critiques, or the need to alter any of them; they all looked great as is!
KarenM@8 wrote
on May 2, 2008 8:34 PM
I agree with one of the posters who said that the garments look the best on Eunny. In the previous gallery I thought everything looked best on Bertha. Apparently to look good in the IK clothes you have to be very thin with no hips or bust. I'm sorry, 34 inches is not "busty". I'm frustrated that these clothes really don't look good on most of the women who've tried them on. I'm glad to see that the patterns within the patterns (lace, cables, etc) are easily transferrable to other projects because I won't be knitting these garments anytime soon.
knittingbox wrote
on May 2, 2008 8:25 PM
I really enjoyed the Eunny gallery. I am not good at visualizing how things will look, so I found it really helpful to see Eunny in different styles one after an other. Reading the commentaries on fit for the one shape continuously seemed much more helpful to me than the way the galleries are generally done. Because I keep forgetting Debbie's stats, for example. Also, this may have struck me more forcefully with Eunny since she and I share many of the same body concerns. Also, this format allowed me to remember and internalize some of the commentary. I feel like I learned more about fit in general instead of in the regular galleries where I feel like I'm learning what works for those women. I fully realize this may be an odd quirk of mine, but perhaps it's not. Perhaps this is something to ask the readers?

Thanks again for these galleries, I loved them! And it made me like some of the designs more, too.
ChristyT wrote
on May 2, 2008 8:19 PM
The shirt Eunny is wearing is the "Perfect" white shirt I've been looking for. Can you tell us where it is from??
WillaB@2 wrote
on May 2, 2008 7:57 PM
I love everything in Eunny's gallery, and the tips about altering to fit me!
I am a 70 year old grandma and I love jeans around home, slacks when I'm out and about, skirts occassionaly.
I have a flabby tummy(bigger now with age) and a flabby butt! I like vests, tops, etc. that are longer, also like longer sleeves to hide my flabbby, wrinkled upper arms.
I am so happy I subscribed to the online Knitting Daily, I truly enjoy reading every word, and looking at all the pretty things.
Grandma Willa in Ohio
M95d wrote
on May 2, 2008 7:46 PM
I love your magazine, love the website, love the galleries.

What changes would have to be made on the Wallis cardigan in the armhole area if the sleeves were eliminated?

Mary D
LeighK wrote
on May 2, 2008 7:39 PM
Eunny makes a fabulous model - every one of these looks great on her!
CathyR wrote
on May 2, 2008 7:26 PM
OH yes I agree,seeing these garments has encouraged me to try them out!Im 5'4" with a 34"bust but have a high rib sohave to be careful where garments like that gorgeous tie vest sit otherwise I look 5 months pregnant and being a Mum to a large family now,questions tend to come hard and fast,LOL
Thank You Eunny for showing us!
KristinaK wrote
on May 2, 2008 7:25 PM
Eunny - you look wonderful. You also do great lacework and I have been inspired by your tutorial...

kb
JenniferF wrote
on May 2, 2008 7:05 PM
Eunny looks fabulous in every knit in the gallery-don't be so hard on yourself Eunny! Wish we all could look as beautiful in the gallery knits!
BonnieV wrote
on May 2, 2008 6:57 PM
Those have to be some of the most unflattering garments I've ever seen. And if they are unflattering to a small person like Eunny, well it doesn't take much to understand how they would look on me or anyone else I know for that matter. I wouldn't waste my time knitting them. I hope this is not the way your magazine is leaning. Bonnie vavra

vavra_bonnie@yahoo.com
Carol Y wrote
on May 2, 2008 6:56 PM
Well I share the same bust size and broad shoulder problem, so this was helpful for me. Thanks Eunny!
VeraH@2 wrote
on May 2, 2008 6:42 PM
Really enjoyed seeing Eunny in the garments. It's made me see them in a different way--especially the Drawstring Raglan.
lerikson80 wrote
on May 2, 2008 6:38 PM
Just must say, Eunny in the Drawstring Raglan - Darling!! It's definitely you! Makes me want to knit it (not terribly inspired from the previous gallery - sorry gals - Eunny rocks it).
Pica wrote
on May 2, 2008 6:31 PM
I too found the comments about raising and lowering a v-neck very helpful. A question for those of you that have knowledge of the top down construction...'Is it possible to create a v-neck on the lovely cable down raglan?' Absolutely love this cardigan but the neckline isn't going to work for my body type. Any ideas?
Thx Pica
AnnG@2 wrote
on May 2, 2008 6:28 PM
I appreciate these galleries so much! I have to say it's funny seeing someone like Eunny say she is busty and broad-shouldered. She didn't look that way in the photos at all and out of everyone, she seemed to be able to wear every single sample and look fantastic in it! (I hate you, Eunny.)
My confidence is growing as I read each of these articles - thanks!
SharonK@4 wrote
on May 2, 2008 6:26 PM
I just downloaded the free scarf pattern and it is obviously missing a few pages. I am glad I took a look at it before printing - what a disappointment!
SK, Santa Barbara
MistyY wrote
on May 2, 2008 6:24 PM
Thanks for these pictures and comments! I'm probably closer to Eunny in shape and size than any of your Gallery Gals, so this was very helpful. Now all I need is for my issue to arrive......
MistyY wrote
on May 2, 2008 6:24 PM
PennyM wrote
on May 2, 2008 6:18 PM
Good input on the Wallis Cardigan. I had thought (looking at other garments) of lengthening or shortening sleeves, but taking them off altogether? Great idea. On a personal note, I think Eunny looks the best of anyone, including Bertha, in that drawstring raglan.
JanL wrote
on May 2, 2008 4:12 PM
I found the Eunny Gallery so helpful! I too am busty and so many things fall in the wrong place. I may just have knit up some of these now! :)