Finally: A Gallery With Men In It!

May 4, 2008

Today, I am pleased to present to you: The Men of Interweave, wearing Kathy Zimmerman's Brick Pullover.

Aaron in his red carpet moment

It was much easier to get the guys to pose for gallery photos than I thought it would be. I had imagined having to promise free pizza; but Mark, T.J., Aaron, and Eric were actually a bit excited about being included. (Aaron kept talking about his moment of stardom and how it might lead to "bigger things." I felt badly about that—I mean, this is a knitting site. It's not like there are casting directors scanning our galleries for the next Harrison Ford. Sorry, Aaron. But if anyone knows Ryan Seacrest or Simon Cowell, could you please give them a ring on Aaron's behalf? Thanks.)

More men are knitting than ever before, and it's been pointed out to me that I tend to address only the women knitters, leaving the guy knitters feeling a bit slighted. So, men, this time, it's all you. Women, I know you want to knit for the guys in your life, so please change the pronouns as appropriate.

You men knitters have it easier in terms of getting your knits to fit. For one thing, you do not have to ever worry about inserting bust darts. (Big plus right there, as far as this busty gal is concerned.) You generally do not wear your clothing with negative ease, so again, you don't have to do things like waist shaping and tummy darts and all that.

However, for men-who-knit and those who knit-for-men, there are four things to watch for in terms of fit: overall ease, hem length, sleeve length, and shoulder width.

Ease: The more clothing you like to wear underneath, the more ease you will need, so ease preferences can vary from summer to winter. Guys, go into your closet and measure several of your favorite sweaters to get an idea of how much ease you prefer.

Hem and sleeve length: These are rather individual choices. My husband, who has extremely long arms, likes his sweater cuffs extra-long—to the base of his thumb, actually. So again, measure yourself, measure what's in your closet, and knit accordingly.

Shoulder width: If the sweater's shoulder width (across the back of the shoulders) is not wide enough, you will have trouble moving your arms comfortably. Again, get out that measuring tape and go explore your closet.

Everyone had a lot of fun with this Gallery; I hope you enjoy it, too!

—Sandi

View the Brick Pullover Gallery

List of all past Gallery pages

Sandi Wiseheart
is the founding editor of Knitting Daily. You can find her blogging here on Knitting Daily every Thursday. Want more? Visit Sandi's personal blog, wiseheart knits. Or, if you're on Twitter, follow her tweets: alpacasandi.

Knitting for MenDownload Your Free eBook Today

FREE Downloadable eBook: Knitting Daily presents: 7 FREE Knitting Patterns for Men! This wonderful collection of knitting patterns for men has something for everyone. The functional cable knit for your handy man, a warm knit gansey for winter days, and a handsome scarf for that extra touch. So guys, this one's for you—seven free knitting patterns for men!
Download your FREE eBook Today!

Download Your Free eBook Today

Comments

Robing34 wrote
on May 9, 2008 1:42 AM
Please tell Aaron he's a total babe and the sweater is gorgeous on him. Dang. I guess I'm going to have to buy the issue now and I swore I was not going to buy anymore patterns (like I don't have enough!!!!).
prmartin wrote
on May 8, 2008 6:28 PM
My husband also categorically refuses to wear sweaters or scarves. He brags about the socks, though, so I have knit him dozens and dozens of pairs of socks, in every style you've ever seen. However, this last winter, I FINALLY convinced him that the chronic problems he has with his long-john tops fitting so poorly off-the-rack could be solved by custom-tailored knitting. I knitted him two different "long-john tops," AND he wore them!!! It's not a sweater -- it's winter underwear! ;-) (It's all about the marketing... hehehe) As for the depressing color issue -- my man doesn't want black or gray -- everything he wears is some shade of hunter camoflage!!! So one of the Long John Tops is camo-browns, the other is snow-camo...sigh. At least I've gradually coaxed him into wearing socks that aren't all camo colors!!! :-)
Lynn G. wrote
on May 8, 2008 4:26 PM
Thanks to Ruth M. for posting...and, don't you agree that perhaps we should ask Bertha to tell us if she's looking for Bert or Betty?
Sara@2 wrote
on May 8, 2008 11:18 AM
Fantastic gallery, excellent commentary, brilliant models! This gallery got me so excited to knit for men... now I just need to find one to knit for! ;)

Aaron, did you need someone to knit for you....??

You all certainly hit it big with us. Thanks so much. :)
MaryD@3 wrote
on May 8, 2008 12:40 AM
Loved the male models, oooh! just wish I was a little bit younger (about 30 yrs or so). Love the sweater and might just get my DH to wear this one. Agree with Sandi that it does not do much for us "cuddly" ladies but perhaps we could stop the pattern under the "ladies"??
LisaG@4 wrote
on May 7, 2008 9:53 PM
I loved the mens gallery, I found it most helpful, but there were a couple of things left out. The article failed to mention age, marital status, hobbies and favorite color. Maybe next time?
Diana wrote
on May 7, 2008 9:40 PM
I have to say the men in your office are yummy.
AnnaP wrote
on May 7, 2008 8:39 PM
to JJ, who doesn't want to knit with black yarn:

I can't remember who it was, but I do remember reading that someone knit a sock in some weird colours (to convince her husband they couldn't be a present for him) and dyed them black later...

You'd need quite a lot of dye, I guess, but it might be an option?
KathleenM wrote
on May 7, 2008 7:35 PM
::swoons::
sweater? what sweater?

really -- the guys' gallery is lovely to look at, but yes, it's also helpful to see some real men modelling knitwear. It would be great to include their comments and feelings about the garment.
Ayla wrote
on May 7, 2008 12:21 PM
The galleries are a fantastic idea- more please!
GailD@2 wrote
on May 7, 2008 8:18 AM
Thank you gentlemen! Since people come in all shapes, the galleries really help us imagine how our hard work will look on our loved ones.
TonjaB wrote
on May 7, 2008 7:48 AM
Sandi, about the guys...what are their other stats - the ones that really matter? Job? Marital Status? Preference? I would be willing to knit Aaron a sweater...my first forray into the sweater making world!
Del RaeB wrote
on May 7, 2008 2:08 AM
Woohoo! Loved the guys in the spread. It got me thinking- What other tidbits could they model? I'm always looking for ways to surprise the hubby.

DB in AK
LoisP wrote
on May 6, 2008 8:55 PM
I love knitting daily!! I have long looked for a shawl collared cardigan for men. Does anyone know of one? Lois in Or.
Vivian wrote
on May 6, 2008 4:26 PM
I agree, the men are great looking and we need to see more of them in upcoming galleries.

I also have the neck and belly problem and steer away from a lot of sweaters for my hubby. Some help with shaping hints besides making the sweater larger would be greatly appreciated.
HelenKO wrote
on May 6, 2008 4:03 PM
Interweave - this is THE COOLEST THING YOU'VE EVER DONE!!!!!!!!

I love that you've done a gallery of men; I'm subscribing RIGHT NOW!!!
KarenM wrote
on May 6, 2008 3:54 PM
So is there a "Men of Interweave" calendar in the works now ? :-)
Actaully, I haven;t really considered knitting for my husband before, he isn't a traditional sweater guy, since he runs a littlw warm, but using lighter summer yarns for a winter sweater.... I am liking the idea a lot, I might be able to get him to wear a garment that he usually wouldn't wear.....The guys are good sports, and I like seeing the different fit issues for the men, the points on layering are good too, even for us ladies :-)
KristenH wrote
on May 6, 2008 3:48 PM
Oooo--pass the smelling salts! So many attractive men in one place!

Seriously, though, thanks for this. I was considering knitting this sweater for a friend and you've helped me with my decision making.
KarenW@6 wrote
on May 6, 2008 11:46 AM
Who knew the men of IK were so good-looking!
ShellyO wrote
on May 6, 2008 11:43 AM
Personally, I think this sweater looks better on Aaron than the model in the magazine! So maybe his "moment of stardom" really might "lead to bigger things" - like being a model for the magazine!
CVWGma wrote
on May 6, 2008 11:02 AM
I just want to thank you so much for you Gallery. To be able to visually see how the garments fit is super. Until now I have just stayed with the basic patterns but seeing how they look on bodies that are not model perfect has encouraged me to go outside the box and experiment with patterns I never would have tried. This has totally rejuvenated my interest in knitting, so THANK YOU< THANK YOU.

Gri
MargaretR wrote
on May 6, 2008 10:28 AM
The guys are great! More, more, more! Not only are they hot, seeing the sweater on different shapes is helpful, too. I second the neck size comment. Crew necks for men are always a little chancy.
SharonH wrote
on May 6, 2008 10:05 AM
Hi Sandi,

I have a question. I have been wanting to knit a sweater for my long term SO (I don't believe in marriage, but we are for all intents and purposes married without the paperwork or ceremony) The problem is that he is not a square. He has a rather large belly. I know what to do for women's shaping, but I can never find anything about different men's shapes. Any hints?
mihee wrote
on May 6, 2008 9:53 AM
Aaron looks so good in that sweater that he should not have to give it back!
DJS wrote
on May 6, 2008 9:31 AM
My biggest concern about making a sweater for my hub is how to add enough for the beer belly without insulting him too much. The storebought sweaters seem to ride up in tne front to accomodate the 'plus measurement', and the striped sweater I have bben considering doesn't want to acomodate short ros in that area without a lot of fussing. Any feedback, my friends?
MonicaW wrote
on May 6, 2008 8:53 AM
I agree with Jennifer R - I would like to see this sweater on some women, too! I really enjoy making so-called "mens'" sweaters for myself because I often find them more roomy (and for a long time, it was way easier than modifying too-small womens' patterns!)
RuthM@3 wrote
on May 6, 2008 8:41 AM
I've been lurking since I joined some time ago but this gallery finally brings me out of the closet in several ways. My partner (female) is built pretty much like many men--broad shoulders, no hips and not much bust. And her taste in clothes runs pretty much in a butch direction. So when I knit for her, it needs to be an adaptation of a man's sweater. This one would work great. What I'd love is to see more unisex options and a gallery with both men and women wearing the same sweater. I do have to say that I love seeing real people wear the model sweaters even in cases where I'd never knit the actual pattern in question. I've learned tons about fit. Thanks to all the models and Sandi for her great critiques.
KatherineH wrote
on May 6, 2008 7:58 AM
Hi Sandi: I'd suggest adding a fifth item -- neck sizing. A husband of a friend of mine wouldn't even look at anything with a turtleneck, despite several reassurances that a crew neck was an easy alteration. Other guys won't consider v-necks, or anything "tight" (ie: watch how you finish off the edging and make sure it's very elastic). Then again, some men prefer a close-fitting neckline because they think the looser styles look sloppy. IMHO it's a major alteration point for men's knit stuff.
TerrieR wrote
on May 6, 2008 7:40 AM
Thanks, guys! I was just bemoaning the fact that there were no guy galleries as I start on knitting some sweaters for my son who will be going off to college in a distinctly colder city than we now live in. Now, if we could only get more patterns for guy sweaters?! (I'm making up my own!)
As for the sweaters pulling down in back, I solved that on my daughter's hoodie by inserting some short rows to build up the back neck before starting the ribbing/hood. I would definitely build up the back neck on this sweater, too. Does anyone else do something else to remedy this? I'm a fairly new knitter, so would love to hear what more experienced knitters do to help with fit.
DebL wrote
on May 6, 2008 7:13 AM
The guys all look great in this sweater. I could even see me making it for my husband. Thanks for all the galleries. Sandi, my body shape is closest to you of all the girls, so keep modeling! It is very helpful to see what a garment would really look like on me. Deb
AngelaF wrote
on May 6, 2008 7:07 AM
The guys look great, Aaron really rocked the red carpet.
It's great to see KD show some men's sweaters.
Nice job.
ChrisH@3 wrote
on May 6, 2008 7:00 AM
Would the men's brick pullover work for women? I like the details and would love to knit it for myself. Can you talk about adjusting the pattern? I'm a size 8.
Thanks!
ValentinaD wrote
on May 6, 2008 2:55 AM
Hi, thanks for the galleries! I find them always extremely useful. It is nice to see how patterns look on real people, not only on almost-perfect-built-models! Great job!
Anonymous wrote
on May 5, 2008 11:35 PM
Hmm, nice to see "men models" instead of all the girls. However it seems that the sweater did not fit that well at the neck - only one of the guys (forgot his name) had the right fit, but I definitely think it's a beautiful sweater!
Noodleknit wrote
on May 5, 2008 11:29 PM
I was thinking of making that sweater for myself, maybe could you do a gallery of the Brick Pullover on ladies?? I'd love to see how this looks as a comfy oversize pullover.
JacquelineV wrote
on May 5, 2008 10:15 PM
I love this gallery. And I love the timing of it too because one of my friends asked me last week if I'd mind making him a sweater so this brought up things I need to consider when making it for him. The guys look great.
LisaR wrote
on May 5, 2008 9:51 PM
OT: It would be really neat if patterns provided *how* they were blocked, since different fibers and methods produce different results.
DoreenC wrote
on May 5, 2008 9:34 PM
Wow, it is great to see an equal opportunity magzine! The guys all look great.I have to say that the sweater looked the best on TJ. He doesnt look comfortable, but the sweater looks great on him with the best fit of all four men. I agree that men's sweaters don't have to deal with bust darts, or waist shaping. They do have to deal with the width and thickness of the shoulders. It is very obvious when you look at these galleries that there needs to be some adjustment in the shoulder area on these guys. The neck gapes on all but TJ and the line created by changing stitch at the top pulls up in the centre on all but TJ. How would you address that and plan to avoid it? What are the tell tale signs and measurments that will prevent these misfits from happening? I ask because only one of the men I knit for is an off the rack fit, the rest require more fine tuning.
on May 5, 2008 8:54 PM
THANKS for the gallery and patterns for men. We need more patterns for the guys in our lives! Keep up the great work!
T.H wrote
on May 5, 2008 8:40 PM
Wow, all the men look great! (The sweater looks fine, too...) If I weren't married, I might offer to be Aaron's "bigger thing." ow lucky you are, Sandy, to have such good looking good sports around you!!
Kmbrousalis wrote
on May 5, 2008 8:27 PM
I love men's sweaters! Here's my Interweave Press addition to the gallery (the He Gansey from No Sheep for You):

MarceS wrote
on May 5, 2008 8:27 PM
Um, you work with some very handsome gentlemen you lucky KD ladies!! This was a nice gallery switch and I hope it results in more handknits for the men!
HeatherP wrote
on May 5, 2008 8:27 PM
I LOVE the men's gallery! Thanks so much for sharing it. As a woman who knits for an incredibly particular husband when it comes to things fitting just so (WAY more particular than I could ever be), I enjoy seeing how things might be altered for men. Of course, as has been mentioned before, it's easier to see things that should be changed only after one version has been completed and tried on. We'll get there some day. The guys all look great, by the way, and I love the sweater even more after seeing it on a few sizes of men...
Karen@2 wrote
on May 5, 2008 8:19 PM
Way to go, guys! You look terrific and I loved seeing you model the sweater. :-)
CharlesC wrote
on May 5, 2008 8:14 PM
I have a picture of me knitting in armor. Is there a place I can post the link?
DebiR wrote
on May 5, 2008 8:13 PM
I have only one word to say:

YUMMY!
kazzajoyce wrote
on May 5, 2008 8:09 PM
I think that it is great that you managed to get a gallery for the guys. Love it.
Laura wrote
on May 5, 2008 7:58 PM
Thanks to the Gallery Guys!
Maria ElenaW wrote
on May 5, 2008 7:54 PM
Way to go KD! My husband and son proudly wear the sweaters I make for them. They do give me very specific directions on color and measurements.
Please tell Aaron that if I were casting for CSI Vegas he'd get the part Dourdain is leaving.
LindsayT wrote
on May 5, 2008 6:58 PM
I'm really glad you've added heights for this gallery, and I'd love to see that carry over into the galleries for the gals' knits. As a 5'11" woman, I know that a sweater in a given size, with just the right amount of ease, will never fit me the same way as it would a woman of 5'5". (Yes, I know that gets back into the whole long-waisted short-torso debate, but every little bit helps!) :)
Loribird wrote
on May 5, 2008 6:42 PM
Thanks so much, guys, for modeling, and Sandi for asking them to. It's great to see the sweater on different shapes/sizes and in a less-posed setting than the magazine. I can actually picture my husband in the sweater now! (Er, that doesn't mean I'm casting on right away though...)
TammyT wrote
on May 5, 2008 6:28 PM
The guys look A-MAZE-ING!! Though that color is not one that any actual man I know would wear, that is easily remedied. This sweater looked equally great on all the guys which makes it a very tempting knit.
LisaB@6 wrote
on May 5, 2008 6:20 PM
With so many variables that seem to be more specifically critical with male-wearer garments, wouldn't it be great to have some future feature on fitting GUYS, specifically? I have real challenges with my chubby and also very TALL husband, and am already playing around with #s for modifying this pattern to make the body 34" long, without getting the gap-osis at the bottom or gorilla arms if I "cheat" by knitting one of the middle sizes with a bigger-gauge yarn.

I LOVE this patt because #1 - it addresses my DH's concern of "not wanting to look like a billboard" (there's texture-work, but it's quiet and well-proportioned); #2 - it isn't the usual wooly guysweater, looks to be wearable over several seasons; and #3 - like Sandi above seems to be saying, this one seems "do-able" without tabling all my other projects for 6 or 10 months!
SherryC wrote
on May 5, 2008 6:06 PM
Fantastic to see those gorgeous men in that wonderful sweater! Makes me want to knit one for my OWN man !
ClearlyClara wrote
on May 5, 2008 5:56 PM
I agree with Cary H. And can I say how yummy Eric looks in that sweater? :D

The sweater looks slightly ill-fitted for most of the models (especially around the collar/shoulder area) except for T.J.

While shopping for my brother, I learned that the most important measurement on a guy is the shoulder width, not the chest so much. For the guys in the future, maybe we need to include a shoulder measurment instead of a chest one? (Chest is more important for females, it seems like :P) Just a suggestion. :)
KayE wrote
on May 5, 2008 5:47 PM
I think it would be nice if you included photos of the how the garments look from the back on the models as well as the front. It would be nice to be able to see this one's unusual shoulder construction from the back especially.
PattiC@3 wrote
on May 5, 2008 5:43 PM
I think it looks great on Aaron. He should get some one to knit one for him!
remove wrote
on May 5, 2008 5:24 PM
Also, I think the shoulders are much too narrow for everyone except T.J. I really think that measurements for men should include shoulder, upper back width, chest diameter, upper arm diameter, sleeve length, stomach girth (sorry DH) and upper hip circumference. And in my experience, the exact amount of ease the man expects is vital. Also important to ask is will the man primarily be wearing the sweater over a t-shirt or a shirt with a collar? I've found that it's generally one or the other, and it's critical to know before finishing the neck.
sgeorge24 wrote
on May 5, 2008 5:24 PM
Oops...were we supposed to be looking at the SWEATER?!?! Lovely models, and no doubt Aaron could move on to bigger things after this wonderful debut! Thank you!
Mary AnnP wrote
on May 5, 2008 5:23 PM
It was great to include the men in the modeling photos...I wasn't certain about the pattern, until I saw it on Aaron. He has a physique similar to my husband, he looked really nice in it! Now I might need to add that to my list to make for Gary! MAPrehn
LindaC wrote
on May 5, 2008 5:17 PM
Gorgeous sweater (in my favorite color scheme)! And what a bunch of cuties! I can just see TJ and me sitting around in the evenings knitting....sigh....does he like older women?
Linda
remove wrote
on May 5, 2008 5:16 PM
One of the difficulties I've run into in knitting for men is that most patterns assume all men are pretty square in shape, and that sweaters should simply hang off their shoulders. My sons, in particular, need a lot of shaping to reduce the bottom width around their hips, so their sweaters aren't as drafty and so they don't look like they're wearing tents! A lot of men's sweaters don't include this kind of inverted triangular shaping, and instead tend to be really boxy. I have to take a lot of measurements to accommodate that for them.
AdrienneB wrote
on May 5, 2008 5:14 PM
I would like to see a back shot of the sweater on them. (Get your minds out of the gutter!) I agree with remarks about the back of the neck. With this sweater, how easy would it be to add (thinking of EZ) some short row shaping at the back of the neck?
MelissaB wrote
on May 5, 2008 5:11 PM
They all look fantastic! How is it supposed to help us determine the optimum ease when EVERY ONE of them looks amazing! Hmmmmm....
DavidS wrote
on May 5, 2008 5:05 PM
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

It is nice that someone is listening. The whole reason I refuse to buy IK is because of the lack of male content.

Thank You times a million!!

PS - I do love Spin-Off and wouldn't be without it ;-)
heathergem wrote
on May 5, 2008 5:04 PM
Fine! The first step is done. Now the next would be, to make the guys knitting.
DebraW wrote
on May 5, 2008 4:56 PM
This is a great looking sweater on great looking guys. Thanks for doing a guys gallery. I make make this for my son.
BrandyG wrote
on May 5, 2008 4:51 PM
Um, Aaron, I have a daughter who is available...
FrancescaA wrote
on May 5, 2008 4:50 PM
Thanks Sandy - nice to get an eyeful of a different kind of eye candy for a change :) Where did you find such a nice bunch of real guys? Sigh... maybe I should move to the States.
The sweater is nice, except for the colour - I would never knit a man's sweater in that colour. Very dark blue or very dark grey. Or black. Only. And I don't like the way the sleeves hang. They look like they have no cap.
MaryC@2 wrote
on May 5, 2008 4:49 PM
I love that sweater. It's beautiful. Your models aren't bad either! I do think that the neckline looks best on T.J. I don't know if the difference was the way each man had the shoulders of the sweater sitting on his shoulders but I did not like the neckline at all until I saw T.J.'s picture. Now if I just knew how to knit well enough to tackle that pattern...sigh!
MonicaE wrote
on May 5, 2008 4:41 PM
Great sweater patterns. I don't mind that 'climbing down the back' thing (it's all those burley muscles under the sweater, methinks) but am technically interested in how you would avoid that effect. Love the blog, can't wait till I am affluent enough to subscribe.
MelissaI wrote
on May 5, 2008 4:40 PM
Where did you get all these lovely men from? Oh, the sweater is cute too.
MelissaI wrote
on May 5, 2008 4:40 PM
Where did you get all these lovely men from? Oh, the sweater is cute too.
Lana wrote
on May 5, 2008 4:39 PM
I notice the problem of the pulling in most men's sweaters. I think the problems stem from the fact that men have curves also and sweaters for them are usually just too square.

I think I would add some increase to the saddle shoulder to form a V-shape in order to give more width for shoulder curves. If a man is more muscular this will help with ease in that area also.

But my concern was all the diagonal drag on the sleeves. I think to avoid that some length may be needed at the curve of the shoulder too.
JenniferR@2 wrote
on May 5, 2008 4:38 PM
I think it is interesting to see how the sweater hangs off different shoulder... shapes? types? whatever. it is interesting.

I would really like to see this sweater on a woman too! cuz I like the construction!
SandraA wrote
on May 5, 2008 4:34 PM
I'm now more convinced than ever than men look good in anything, without having to worry about body size, shape, etc too much. Lucky ducks. Guys, you look fab!
FranklinH wrote
on May 5, 2008 4:30 PM
We may not have to deal with waist shaping in the sense of creating an hourglass silhouette, but a LOT of men's patterns would do well to give some sort of body shaping. We're not actually rectangular, and we don't all like to wear potato sacks - something very few patterns take into consideration.
ReneeW wrote
on May 5, 2008 4:29 PM
Hooray for the men! This should be a regular feature. Guys, you all look marvelous. TJ, my congratulations on embracing knitting yourself. Interesting to hear that so many other women's husbands don't want sweaters either. My only success with my husband has been a hat he can wear skiing, once a year or so. Sigh. He might like a less bulky sweater like this one, though -- although I'm not sure about that neckline. He's an engineer and not a fan of creative necklines. :)
KimP wrote
on May 5, 2008 4:24 PM
Not to sound dense, but how do you measure a guy's chest? Right under his arms, over his, uh, bust? Or do you measure over his arms, including the arms in the chest measurement? Or more simply, can I measure from shoulder to shoulder and double it? Help!!!

I concur that the sweater looks like it's 'trying to climb down their backs'. Any suggestions to get that front part sitting more squarely on the shoulder would be welcomed.
LauraS@4 wrote
on May 5, 2008 4:22 PM
What no Bert? Bertha must be lonely!
SandraW@2 wrote
on May 5, 2008 4:22 PM
I hate knitting for men. Now that I've got that off my chest - I can't wait for this issue and this pattern. Usually men's patterns are complicated and paired with the size issue just take too long to complete. So they wind up in my half done pile and then sometimes get undone and remade into a vest or scarf. You get the picture. The gallery is an amazing feature for all body types. Thanks. Sandy
UshaFHR wrote
on May 5, 2008 4:19 PM
Oops, in my previous post I had a momentary lapse of confidence re whether Bertha really was called Bertha, and meant to check before posting - but my confidence was so seriously lapsed that I didn't even finish the sentence!

What i wanted to ask was whether Bertha has asked for a guy yet, cos I think she deserves one... And he would come in useful don't you think?

Until then, I'd love to see future All Male Galleries include Bertha. Gals do wear guy sweaters too you know. (I do, anyway)

And I'd love to see Bertha swamped in this sweater. Or she could choose layers of under-wear for it to go over...
DawnJ wrote
on May 5, 2008 4:18 PM
Hurray for the guys. They look great.
How is one supposed to decide whether or not to move when you cannot see wedding fingers in the pictures in order to check for rings!
Kangamom wrote
on May 5, 2008 4:18 PM
Um, yeah. The Men of IK are totally hot. I can't wait to make one of these for my man. I want to make a wooly winter version though.
UshaFHR wrote
on May 5, 2008 4:11 PM
(knitting for men - and galleried men with tips). You need to get

To my eye, on Aaron and on Eric, this sweater "looks as if it's trying to climb down their backs". My guy would prefer the neck ribbing to sit under his collar at the front. What alteration would I need to do to achieve that?
What do your four men think, and what do you think, of the front yoke area (square footage, inchage)?
Would the brick pattern have been designed to rise in a central peak, pulled up by the front opening?
I am wondering if the fit of the yoke depends on how much the sleeves are pulled down to the wrist (pulling the neck opening apart), or on how much the neck opening is pulled apart (so as not to feel 'choked' by the top layer).
If you have decide between one or the other, maybe there's room for improvement, to achieve both instead. Longer sleeves?
Less decreasing at the front opening edge (if there's decreasing there at all?)
Measuring from nape of neck at abck to underarm, and halfway along shoulder top, and at shoulder edge, to establish the actual slope, and altering the knitting accordingly?
Please answer me! I'd like to knit this...
dibranchia wrote
on May 5, 2008 4:08 PM
You know, I showed this to my husband (out of the mag) and asked him if he would like me to try to make it for him (I haven't make anything as large as sweater yet). His response? "Sure, but not that color, black would be nice." *sigh* I know that your poll a bit ago said that men want color, but mine just wants black. I made him gloves (actually convertible mittens) in black and I've sworn NEVER to knit in black again because I had such a hard time seeing my stitches. I guess I need to find a new husband. ;)
DeloresN wrote
on May 5, 2008 3:26 PM
My husband won't wear sweaters, either. He gets socks, hats, neckwarmers (no scarves)...socks. Really nice to see guys in sweaters!
JoAnneWM wrote
on May 5, 2008 3:06 PM
Aaron is hot! That sweater looks like it was made for him .... and not just because it is the Red Brick Sweater. He is definitely headed for stardom in the knitting world. Maybe he can get some modeling gigs.
JulesG wrote
on May 5, 2008 1:00 PM
Gallery Guys, you are awsome! Thank you very much for trying on the pullover. It gave me an idea of how my husband would maybe look in such a sweater - sadly he never wears knitted sweaters.
Anyone an idea how I can persuade him to try one - especially this one?

Cheers from Germany, Julia