Come Play On Our New Site -- Including FORUMS!

May 23, 2008

C'mon in and make yourself at home!

I am pleased to invite you to visit Knitting Daily's brand-new, updated, and ready-to-play-in website!

The first thing you will notice is that we have FORUMS! Many, many of you have been asking for these, and so now, your wish has been granted.

Other goodies on the new site include:

User profiles, friending, avatars: We've made it so much easier to get to know all you fab folk who come to play on Knitting Daily. Each of you can set up your profile page, choose an avatar (a picture which will show up next to your comments and forum posts), and tell everyone a bit about yourself. Then...you can start making friends!

Easier searches: We have tags! Want to find all the blocking articles and tips? Go to the Tag Cloud (the collection of search terms in the right side bar), and click View More to see all the tags you can search with. Click Blocking, and voila! All the blocking info shows up!

Better navigation: Now you can find the Galleries, How-To info, and all sorts of things right from the top menu. Click away!

So go ahead: Have fun exploring the new site for yourself. Your old passwords and logins should still work on the new site; if you don't remember your password, just click the Forgot Password link and we'll email you a link to change your password to something you can remember!

The comments work again (hooray!), so if you have questions or feedback, leave a comment and I'll answer some of them on Wednesday.

There will be no post on Monday because we have a holiday here. But I'll probably be playing on the forums all weekend, so come play along!

So....Welcome!

--Sandi and the entire KD Team

Comments

HoldaC wrote
on Mar 10, 2009 9:16 AM
Great site, am looking foward to all the new forums. Thanks for the tips, I'm off to my closet! Mrsc825
carmel71 wrote
on Jan 7, 2009 7:10 PM
I got here from my email, great. You look wonderful in your picture Sandi. I hope my pic works.
LeslieB@4 wrote
on May 29, 2008 5:02 PM

I just got email about the new t.v. show.  I'm so excited but will it be captioned for the hearing impaired?  Please, pretty please for those of us that need and want the "help."  Thank you.

AnnR wrote
on May 28, 2008 6:27 PM

Allright!!! I got the avatar to work. I am going to have change it, though. It is too small. Can't see my Yorkies, I'll find a different  picture of them. Thanks to the friend that gave directions.

AnnR wrote
on May 28, 2008 6:02 PM

I just got directions from someone how to add an avatar.

The directions were very easy, but it still didn't work for me. It said that the page I requested was not available right now.

Please help?

Lynn G. wrote
on May 28, 2008 3:48 PM

I have chronic migraines and vision issues while trying to browse websites, and the new gray-colored type on the blue background doesn't provide enough contrast for me to read the comments without straining.  I greatly preferred the comments on the old website: much better contrast, dark type, and no need to scroll down so much to read the comments because all the headers were not duplicated in each reply.  Please consider making the comments easier to read. Thank you!  Also, I see that the for-purchase patterns are searchable by type, but the free patterns don't seem to have any searchability. I remember that on the old site, there was some way to search more easily.  Overall, I liked the simplicity of the old site much more.  I understand that the new one has more functions and is future-oriented, but the old site was uncommonly easy to read and navigate.  This one seems more like other websites which are confusing and packed with too much clutter, and it seems like a fad these days that each store or publisher has to have its own new interactive community (Knitpicks just added one, too).  Personally, I love the KD blogs and will continue to read them, but I do not like this new site's graphic design and will most likely visit it far less frequently than I did the old site because it is too hard on my eyes.  Scroll down to the add at the bottom of his page, and you'll see how much clearer the black-on-white type was in the old format.

Macuhica wrote
on May 28, 2008 9:17 AM

To CeliaC re. carpal tunnel syndrome: osteopathic doctors can be found in business directories wherever you live. Also, look at the consumer or some such reporting and you'll find those osteopathic therapists that are praised by their suffering patients. In the meantime, as someone before me has already said, try knitting with the continental method; it helps.

MaryFitzhugh wrote
on May 28, 2008 7:20 AM

To Diane F. Try knitting with the continental method. Much easier on the wrists, (and elbows!)

bsteph wrote
on May 27, 2008 10:43 PM

I also don't get KD in my mailbox anymore.

Frankly, though the new site is visually appealing, I miss the old one that was right to the point, had solid useable info, and didn't have a lot of forum distraction. Perhaps I'm on internet overload, but I looked forward to reading KD daily, and now I've a sense of "it's just another site like the others". Don't we have more info than we need on Ravelry and the world wide net?

Sherill wrote
on May 27, 2008 5:17 PM

A few weeks ago, Knitting Daily stopped appearing in my mailbox.  I have tried to re-register, but I get a message saying I am already a member.  What can I do to get back on your email list?  I miss you daily!

GJabouri wrote
on May 27, 2008 4:11 PM

To Diane F:

I also have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, luckily not as bad as yours. I had to adjust the way I sit and hold my arms when knitting. My doctor also gave me a brace to wear at night which helped a lot. Good Luck!

AnnR wrote
on May 27, 2008 4:09 PM

I love this new site. I have been spending so much time on the computer and keep finding new things in KD. I could be knitting!!!!  I don't know what an avatar is, could you explain?

I kind of have an idea that it is a picture below the name, but, how do I get that?

I am sure that in time, all the bugs will be out of the new web site. Keep up the good work.

WendyH wrote
on May 27, 2008 10:15 AM

Hi Sandi,

Your new site is sweet!  Thanks so much.  I'm still "looking around" but so far I really like it.

Wendy

CeliaC wrote
on May 27, 2008 8:24 AM

Great photo Sandi! Thanks for all the hard work on this.

I want to know more about osteopathic therapy for carpal tunnel syndrome. Seems everything I do aggravates it. Graphic arts (my job!), gardening, the mower and tiller, and how this...I do NOT want to give up knitting! What type of treatment is it and what type of doctor would prescribe it?

Macuhica wrote
on May 26, 2008 6:29 PM

Kudos for the new site, although more for good intentions and creating forums than for graphic design. Way too much headers, blue backgrounds and unnecessary small pictures ... but, on the other hand, no pictures where you really want them. Tags - nice feature!

To the carpal tunnel syndrome sufferer: osteopathic therapy has helped me tremendously; from strong pain in the whole hand and forearm and numbness of three fingers I've come to have no pain at all and to have feeling in all fingers restored.

DawnaR wrote
on May 26, 2008 2:39 PM

I also am not getting my Knitting Daily emails for the last few weeks for some reason. I've emailed for some help, but no replies so far! I really miss getting it and have to remember to go look for it at the website.

Dawna

DeloresN wrote
on May 26, 2008 2:33 PM

I notice some people now have avatars.  How do I add an avatar?

AnnaM wrote
on May 25, 2008 9:35 PM

Hi, everyone,

About carpel tunnel et al.,  I've had to work at healing, too, and I found the building flexibility and strength in the hands, arms,  back, and front, -- even the "core" muscles of lower back and stomach, all need to be worked at! If that underarm muscle is tight, then lying down and stretching arms up over the head, relaxing them on the bed surface, tightening the tummy, all those good things, is good. We can't just sit 'n knit!

Also, I had to teach myself to knit continental style, which uses fewer muscles, and uses muscles in better ways.

That's my two cents.

Anna

NancyE wrote
on May 25, 2008 8:41 AM

I haven't been getting my knittingdaily.  Is it because of the new design?   I even had trouble "opening" it when I signed in !!?

Jerri@2 wrote
on May 25, 2008 7:38 AM

I used to get a "daily" newsletter from you and don't now that the new site is up and running.  I miss you in my inbox on a regular basis.  Is this no longer the way we do things?

The new site is beautiful and much easier to use, but I do miss the dailies.

JenniferS@2 wrote
on May 24, 2008 8:10 PM

Hi,

Are any of the free patterns crochet?  If so, how can one sort them out of the knitting patterns?

Thank you!

PatriciaZ wrote
on May 24, 2008 4:22 PM

I was browsing through the new site looking for the tutorial on shaping for the Tomato sweater.  I was hoping to find something about bust darts but only found the discussion on waist shaping.  Did I miss a digest about bust darts in knitting?

Pat (patzski@nctv.com)

Mary JoM wrote
on May 24, 2008 3:15 PM

Hi, I like this new thing! Forum, not sure what that is? For the person with carpel tunnel! I too had the problem. Guess I just knit more then enough but!! I have 26 greatgrandchildren and I knit alot for them. Ages run from 17 years to3 years. Back to the carpel tunnen, I hold my yarn in my left hand, kind of like a thrower. I had C.T. surgery 2 weeks ago yesterday. My stitches came out yesterday, and I`m planning on knitting tonight. I bought a yummy yarn yesterday, can hardly wait to figure out a pattern tonight. Although, I have knitted a little bit in the last 2 weeks. My hand is a little sore but doesn`t hurt like before. Oh yes, the surgery was a piece of cake. my e-mail address is [missmaryjo1@hotmail.com] Maryjo

vlhannah wrote
on May 24, 2008 8:08 AM

Regarding right arm and hand problems:  Hello, I have suffered from numbness in my middle, ring and pinky fingers for years.  Part of my problem was that I was a calligrapher for 23 years, but have been a knitter and crocheter for 40 years.  Through many massages (deep muscle massage) and quite a few therapy visits, it was discovered that my problem comes from a very tight muscle in the near side of my underarm.  Through some stretching excersises and pressure point compression I do myself it relaxes that muscle somewhat.  I saw a hand therapist at one point and she gave me a black brace to wear on my hand, but the velcro on it catches my yarn and pulls the fibers, so that is a problem.  One of the exercises that helps me is pulling the shoulder blades towards each other 5  to 10 times.  The therapist told me to do it every 20 minutes or so.  It isn't hard and you can even do it in the car.  In the latest Keepsake NeedleArts Catalog there is a new glove called the Thera-Glove ($9.99).  It is spandex with a velcro-closure around the wrist.  I hope this info is helpfull.

VirginiaH

Nhstock wrote
on May 24, 2008 6:26 AM

Can we get pictures on the free pattern page???

PrincessG wrote
on May 24, 2008 3:44 AM

Hi Sandi!

i am loveing the new site!

i think its absolutely wonderfull!

Keep up the great work! ;)

xoxo

WendyP wrote
on May 23, 2008 8:52 PM

The new site looks pretty but I have to admit I find it a little hard to locate what I'm looking for. For instance, within the free patterns section I searched on "hats" and got every link about "hats" from the whole site, when all I wanted to do was to find free hat patterns.  It was the same with the galleries and the how to section. I suppose I'm supposed to use tags (?) but it wasn't obvious (to me) how to do that.

I'm very happy to read that the thumbnails will be restored ASAP - I really miss those!

SunnyL wrote
on May 23, 2008 8:09 PM

I think this new site is awesome.  I hope to spend some time here.  I love the patterns and am setting my sites on a couple of them...  I laid knitting down for a lot of years because of raising kids.  I love how knitting has kind of evolved....  I love the more feminine patterns....  I'm glad I am back and here....

Sunny

Jennifer wrote
on May 23, 2008 7:51 PM

Hi, Sandi.  Looks great!  The site didn't like my old addy, but I used a different one & I'm so there!  LOL  Great photo of you, too.

Can hardly wait to spend time this weekend wandering thru the new format.  Woo HOO  Jennifer

DoreenC wrote
on May 23, 2008 7:24 PM

The new site looks great. I did have a little difficulty signing in. I eventually discovered I was using the wrong name, not the wrong password. :-) I do have a question. Sandi is there a book out there that can help me with knitting some Maternity tops? I have been combing the internet in the hopes of finding some sort of guidance on Maternity knits. Thus far has been the one pattern in Interweave Knits, one by Lionbrand Yarns and  a sweater jacket from Candian Living. I am looking for something to knit for the summer for my daughter. Any help or guidance you can give me would be much appreciated. thanks.

KD Sandi wrote
on May 23, 2008 6:59 PM

Hi Paulette and Cindy...

We did not intentionally take the pictures away from the pattern summaries...apparently in the new software, getting this to work is tricky, for some reason. I have a ticket in with the back-end tech folks, asking them to put the photos back. I miss those photos, too! Hang in there....and thanks for letting me know I wasn't the only one who missed them!  --KD Sandi

CindyH@3 wrote
on May 23, 2008 6:39 PM

I like the way the new site looks, I just had one question, why are there no longer pictures with the pattern summaries?  I liked being able to see the pattern without having to click on each individual pattern to open it.  I hope this is just a glitch with the new website?

PauletteH wrote
on May 23, 2008 5:56 PM

Did you take the pictures away from the Free Patterns and Bonus Patterns?  Now I'm just seeing a word description and I must say I always love browsing through pictures of your beautiful patterns - both free and purchase.  Please tell me the pictures are coming back!

D LouiseG wrote
on May 23, 2008 5:37 PM

I received thebemail message at Yahoo.com  to "Come and play...we have Forums," in the subject line but was unable to sign on to site there [error message "Contact Customer Care abour Erro Code 4'], and then the original message disappeared.  Same thing happened exactly with a message about the Annie Modesitt Collection."

I had to log in the website directly.  Has anyone else had this problem?

Susan@11 wrote
on May 23, 2008 5:19 PM

Hi!  I am a new knitter (sort of) and don't know what I can offer, but I read all I can about knitting.  It is much more complicated than I ever thought!

To Diane F.  I have had problems with carpal tunnel also.  I would suggest that you might want to find a good massage therapist who can help you along with a good hand therapist (physical therapist) and occupational therapist where you can learn some stretching exercises and maybe get a splint to wear when you knit that will keep you from getting pain.  If I start having problems I have a special splint that immobilizes the thumb (I can still knit) and I can knit a lot longer without getting pain.

Hope this helps.

DianeF@3 wrote
on May 23, 2008 5:09 PM

Now I see that this works... I want to know if anyone else has had this medical problem from knitting (horrors) too much?  I have a carpal tunnel syndrome in my right hand.  I had this last fall (1st time) and had to see the doctor and stop knitting for almost 3 months.  I thought I was cured and went back to my knitting again and I now have to stop again.  Does anybody out there have any knowledge or words of wisdom about this  I can't stand not knitting.

Luckybreak

Dawn C wrote
on May 23, 2008 4:54 PM

Today I finished the Swallowtail triangular shawl which I mistakenly knit in fine lace yarn........it is way too small! Boo Hoo! I guess Misti Alpaca Lace is a heavier yarn?

DianeF@3 wrote
on May 23, 2008 4:49 PM

How to question:  How do I get a display name for this?  I evidently signed up a long time ago, and I am not prompted for my display name and I don't remember selecting a display name.  Sorry to be so dense.

Luckybreak

TygherKnits wrote
on May 23, 2008 4:06 PM

Looks wonderful Sandi!

PhyllisV wrote
on May 23, 2008 2:49 PM

I've visited the new forum and was happy to see that Spin-off and Handwoven subscribers are included in the same forum.  Thanks from those of us who are unable to focus on a single obsession.

DodieR wrote
on May 23, 2008 2:46 PM

Hi, this new Kntting Daily looks really nice.  I like the way it was done.  Call me a dummy, but I don't know what a forum is.  Can you pleaase explain.  Thanks   Dodie

Lana wrote
on May 23, 2008 2:38 PM

Hi, I like the new site but I was wondering about the blog posts. Will it always have a header for each comment? It seems redundant. I sort of liked the low graphic approach of the former format.

Carmen@2 wrote
on May 23, 2008 2:17 PM

Just joined today and I am learning to move around the site, I HOPE.  I love the idea of forums! and the new site, as well.

Carmen

MarilouM wrote
on May 23, 2008 2:06 PM

I love the "new" site and have bookmarked it for easier access. I am also looking forwar to the new Forums section. Keep up the good work...

Marilou Matthews, Canada

AnneP@3 wrote
on May 23, 2008 2:03 PM

I used to be get plain text emails - is this no longer possible?

annekaelber wrote
on May 23, 2008 1:42 PM

I've recently shifted to a new email address....how do I update that with Knitting Daily?

Anne.