Off To Be With The Yarn People (Plus a New Free Pattern!)

Jun 4, 2008

As you are reading this on Friday, I am winging my way to Ohio, where I'm attending TNNA, the industry's big needlework conference. This is my first TNNA, and so I don't quite know what to expect. I do know that it's an industry-only conference (not open to the public, sorrreee), so there will be all sorts of amazing and interesting folks there: designers, yarn company reps, editors, book sellers, and vendors of Marvelous Knitting Widgets. I've got mysterious little notes in my book: "Meet so-and-so at Booth #XYZ" and "Be sure to look for Person X under the big red banner."

Do you know what those mysterious little notes mean? They mean that I finally, finally get to meet some of my favorite people in the whole wide world in person. Yarn People. People who understand what it is like to have a desk piled high with yarn, knitting magazines, swatches, and yet still would rather go home and knit than do something silly like, oh, do the dishes.

I am so excited. A conference center full of Yarn People. I'm there to talk about Knitting Daily, of course; to see what kinds of plans and schemes we can come up with to make Knitting Daily even more fun and yarn-filled for you in the months ahead.

And as if that weren't enough: I have been told is that there will be Actual Yarn there. Major amounts of yarn, as this is when the yarn companies present their new fall lines. And we all know how I feel about yarn. ("Just put it out on the floor in the aisles, please; I'll just lie down and roll around in it to test it out. Yes, that ought to do nicely, thanks.")

Some highlights I am looking forward to (besides the meeting-favorite-yarn-people thing and the petting-lots-of-actual-yarn thing):

• I'm going to be sharing a room with Kim Werker (editor of Interweave Crochet). Kim is one of my favorite people ever. We both are energetic, and very enthusiastic about the art of conversation, if you see what I mean. Thus, we have had to set up a Chatting Limit Agreement in order to allow ourselves time to sleep. We'd talk until the alarm went off next morning unless we had that Chatting Limit in place. (And we'd enjoy EVERY MOMENT of it.)
  • The Knitting Daily TV folks will be taping some segments in the Interweave booth, and they've invited me to play! I'll be doing a small on-screen segment that will air in next season's episodes. (My hands will be showing, so I had to get a manicure. Fake nails are weird if you aren't used to them. They click on my knitting needles. Odd!)
  • And the other thing I am looking forward to is seeing a preview of the Knitting Daily TV episodes that are being released in July. No, of course I haven't seen them yet! But they'll be showing some of them in the booth. Whoo!

I have a feeling once I get there that there will be a million other things to be excited about. But mostly, I have to admit, I want to meet the designers, the authors, the yarn people--everyone who has made my life--and our lives--such a pleasure over the years, giving all of us such lovely yarn, such interesting books, and such great patterns to play with. To all of those people I'd like to say: Thank you. If I don't get to meet you this weekend, then please just let me say "thank you" for all the hours and hours of enjoyment your hard work has brought to all of us knitters and crocheters and yarnies everywhere. You rock!!

-- Sand

Our featured free pattern this week is the Cabled Vest, by Lisa R. Myers (see the photo at left).
This pattern is an excerpt from Knit So Fine, a celebration of knitting with skinny yarns.

Here's the thing: The Cabled Vest will be available as a free download for ONE WEEK ONLY.

Then, on Friday the 13th, at 5 PM MST, it will be mysteriously whisked away,
back into the book from whence it came...so get it while you can!

Our thanks to Lisa R. Myers, Laura Grutzeck, and Carol Sulcoski, the authors of Knit So Fine,
as well as the Interweave Book Team, for letting me share this pattern with you on Knitting Daily!

Sandi Wiseheart is the editor of Knitting Daily.

What's on Sandi's needles? Still. Working. On. The. Drawstring. Raglan. I wove in some ends yesterday, just to shake things up a bit.

Comments

Korinthe wrote
on Jun 9, 2008 9:01 AM

Off-topic, but... has something changed about the KD feed? I subscribed to KD through Google Reader and the last post received there is the "Did You Guess Right?" post from May 21!

This is the feed URL I have been using:

www.knittingdaily.com/.../index.xml

EllenD wrote
on Jun 9, 2008 4:18 AM

Fake nails?  What next, high heels?  A push-up bra (would we be able to see your chin, then?  hee hee)?  Fancy hairstyle?  Makeup?

Let's just see you as you are, without all this imposition of what a woman's nails or anything else "should" look like.  We who work with our hands have nails that look like they've been used - good for us.  I wonder if they were interviewing a male mechanic if they'd make him have a manicure, complete with fake nails.

LauriE wrote
on Jun 8, 2008 9:27 AM

LoisH,  I have the same problem & contacted Interweave Knitting's customer service who informed me a lot of people are having the same problem.  A lot seem to be sbcglobal customers as well.  Hopefully it'll be fixed soon - I miss Knitting Daily!

LoisH@2 wrote
on Jun 7, 2008 2:37 PM

Sorry to post this here, but I have mysteriously stopped receiving my Knitting Daily posts and I can't find a 'contact us' link on the website.  Can you help me out?

on Jun 7, 2008 6:45 AM

To be going at all is wonderful - and to be going with a skinnier body and a chic new haircut/color is the best! We want to see lots of new things since most of us are probably down to our last skein of yarn...ha!

AnaO wrote
on Jun 7, 2008 4:49 AM

I'm so envious. Be sure to talk to Joan Sheridan. She's the owner of Heritage Spinning & Weaving in Lake Orion, MI....the best LYS I've ever seen. Luckily, it's only 5 minutes from my home. All of us back in Michigan can't wait to see what amazing yarns she'll find. There goes the budget.........

DebbieB52 wrote
on Jun 6, 2008 4:19 PM

I am very jealous of you and I am not normally a jealous person.  However, I do consider these extreme circumstances, there is only so much a knitting/crocheting person can take!  Have a good time and please know that there is major envy!

Also please tell the Yarn People THANK YOU on my behalf!

RoseM wrote
on Jun 6, 2008 3:49 PM

Sandi,

If you get to meet Nicky Epstein..I'd love to know it..she's absolutely one of my favorites..  Have fun..

Rose Menalo

KathleenP wrote
on Jun 6, 2008 3:20 PM

Hi Sandi,

this is off topic. The other 2 knitting magazines I look at and buy regularly have the yarn size information included in the patterns. For example lace weight, 1 fingering, 2 sport, 3 DK, 4 worsted, 5 Bulky, 6 super bulky. Please, please, please, I beg of you, include this information in the magazine. It will avoid brain strain when deciding on yarn.

Kathleen in Walnut Creek

TaniaS wrote
on Jun 6, 2008 2:16 PM

Don't worry about your nails, we're interested in your knitting! Plus they'll look silly and feel awkward.

Christina_W wrote
on Jun 6, 2008 1:21 PM

Sandi,

I just love reading your e-mails; they really brighten my day! I can just imagine that you are the sweetest person.

I am an engineering student who loves to knit and crochet. I learned to knit on my "Friday night off" from studies, and now I am hooked! I am so glad I found your site and receive the e-mails every day. Some day soon, I will be able to start one of the big projects from your site. Socks are fun, but there are some beautiful sweaters on here that I am dying to try.

Have a safe journey; ooh and aww over the newest yarns for all of us yarn people!

Christina

LizM@3 wrote
on Jun 6, 2008 11:52 AM

I loved the piece on changing yarn, but forgot to save it and now I can't find it. Can anyone help?

LizA wrote
on Jun 6, 2008 11:41 AM

Too bad one of your little Post-It Notes doesn't say:

Get the Harlot snockered!

Oh the stories you could tell!

Tehehehehe snork!

Hey - who snorked?!

LauraK wrote
on Jun 6, 2008 11:31 AM

I love reading your Newsletters, it makes me feel so SANE...or at least that there are more people as crazed as me out there! (OH, since you wrote about it I have tried my hand at spinning)......Lets just say I'm not producing works of art yet......but I intend to! I love it!

Rebecca S wrote
on Jun 6, 2008 11:31 AM

Oh I am so jealous!  I wish I could stowaway in your luggage!

HannyB wrote
on Jun 6, 2008 11:31 AM

Hey, hey Sandi,

editors aren't allowed to write "from whence"! Have fun at that conference!

DawnJ wrote
on Jun 6, 2008 11:18 AM

I am so glad that I am not the only one who thinks rolling around in mega balls/skeins of yarn is a wonderful way to test it out.

Have a great time at the TNNA

Kim Werker wrote
on Jun 6, 2008 11:17 AM

Greetings from O'Hare, where I'm giddily awaiting my connecting flight to see you (and, um, do lots and lots of work with all the folks you so aptly described above)! I'm very glad you've given our self-imposed regulation a proper name. Now we're sure to abide by it. See you soon!

Heather T wrote
on Jun 6, 2008 11:15 AM

Manicure?  What are you supposed to do while your nails dry?  You can't knit!