The Knitscene Galleries Begin!

Jul 14, 2008

You Voted For Them!

Two weeks ago, I asked you to vote for the garments you'd like us to include in the very first KD Knitscene Gallery (what's a Gallery? see below). Your votes are in, and here are your top Gallery choices (in no particular order):

Ahlstrom Bodice by Lou Schiela
Brocade Leaves Pullover by Kathy Zimmerman
Dirndl Raglan by Amanda Furlan
Kaftan Dress by Salena Lee
Opulent Raglan by Wendy Bernard
Riding to Avalon by Connie Chang Chinchio

Today, we have two Galleries ready for you to enjoy (while we finish getting the others ready!):

This time, eight Gallery Gals gathered in a tiny basement photography studio to have our photos taken by Ann Swanson, a talented photographer for many of our Interweave magazines and books. I bought a pretty curtain to serve as a backdrop and borrowed a plant from someone's office to give a bit of atmosphere. The new set-up gave us all a chance to really focus on making sure everything was just right: How do you show off a pretty bit of waist shaping? What is the best position to stand in? Is it better to take a front view, a side view, or both? And most important of all: What the heck do you do with your HANDS?

As you will see, we did a lot of experimenting with all of the above, in an effort to really show off the garments, their fit, and their style, to all of you. We had a fabulous time! We hope you enjoy the Galleries half as much as we enjoyed doing them.

Stay tuned for more Galleries: Coming Up: The Kaftan Dress, Opulent Raglan, Dirndl Raglan, and Riding to Avalon.

What's a Gallery? It's where I take the original sample garment from the magazine and persuade several women try it on and let me take their photo, to show you different varieties of fit and flatter. I provide individual commentaries for each picture, with suggestions for customization for each woman. There's only one garment for each design, so sometimes the sweater doesn't fit--that's where the commentaries get really interesting, as we explore why it doesn't fit, and how to alter it so it does fit!

Sandi Wiseheart is the founding editor of Knitting Daily. She is now the author of the popular Knitting Daily blog: What's on Sandi's Needles.

Knit Cardigan Patterns From Knitting Daily: 7 FREE Knitting Patterns

Every knitter has dreamed of the perfect cardigan pattern that he or she might knit some day. From a cozy cable knit to luminous lace, this free ebook will be your dream come true. This is a wonderful and varied collection of cardigans-which is one of the most important pieces in your wardrobe. You'll want to make every one of these knit cardigan patterns, so download your free eBook now and get started (and don’t forget to tell a friend so they can enjoy their own copy!).

Download Your Free eBook Today

Comments

ZassZ wrote
on Jul 22, 2008 6:33 PM

Certainly all of the designers who contributed their designs to this gallery are very talented and deserve recognition.  I will say it again, the Himalayan Vest was a knockout.  Simply stated, the vest can make a fashion statement.  But whether they are considered "IN" or "OUT" they are always in with me.  I love them.

In fact, just last week  the Good Morning America show featured some of the top accent pieces for our wardrobes, (as worn by the cast of a very popular show) and the vest was definitely right in the top of the list.   Can be worn as a Bohemian look for very casual or can be dressed up depending what fabrics you choose to mix with, i.e.. satan, lace, suede, velvets in the fall, which will be here soon enough.

I am just partial to vests, always have been a favorite of mine and enjoy collecting all sorts of them.   Some people think you have to be xtra thin to wear them well, but not so.

I was a little surprised that the Himalayan was not in the top 5, especially since the color was fabulous and it inspires 'confidence'.   Thank you to the designer of yet another vest!

on Jul 15, 2008 7:40 PM

I especially look forward to the galleries as they make the garments look "real".  Sandi I am so envious of your shrinking outline - you must share your secret.  All this sitting at spinning wheels and knitting is not good for the rear end!  I think Debbie should have to wear a funny hat or be blindfolded!  Keep up the good work.

Margaret

on Jul 15, 2008 5:18 PM

Love the ideas but I'd like to know the height of the models (as well as showing a full length photo), not just the bust size.  For us petite folks even waist-shaping doesn't stop some pattern from making us look like we're wearing our big sister's clothes.

TeresaS wrote
on Jul 15, 2008 4:06 PM

A couple of weeks ago you asked about making a finished garment smaller.  when do you expect to have an article on the answers?

IvernaM wrote
on Jul 15, 2008 11:29 AM

I love these galleries. The critiques and how to arrange stitches to fit a real person inspire me yet again to increase my rudimentary knitting skills. I've been crocheting since I was 11, but dropped it for years from my list of desirable uses for my 'spare' time largely due to lack of individualized fit and shape. Fitting myself can get interesting - weightlifter's muscles under a layer of subcutaneous fat, D cups, big ribcage, almost no waist definition, slim hips and thighs, and sleeves are always too short. I know how to deal with all that when I sew clothes, but now I'm seeing how to do it in knitting. Cool. I'm a custom dressmaker/costumer, deal with renaissance/victorian fit as part of that work, so I've been looking at these galleries thinking 'you can do that with knitting? I want that'

ElisaE wrote
on Jul 15, 2008 8:53 AM

I love the galleries.  They help me understand not just an individual pattern, but also the process of fitting in general.  It also is reassuring to look at the garment on real people in real poses; too often, "art-y" photographs hide serious flaws in design, and a knitter can end up with something that's a candidate for "You Knit WHAT???"   The galleries definitely make me more likely to buy the new issue of KnitScene and to continue my Interweave Knits subscription.

MSueM wrote
on Jul 15, 2008 8:46 AM

These are really cool.  I enjoy the personal insight (back drop and plants).  I like seeing the sweaters on several body shapes because I knit for others besides myself!!  Thanks.

Karen S. wrote
on Jul 15, 2008 7:38 AM

These galleries are wonderful! Viewing the pictures along with the explanations and directions for pattern alterations is most helpful. I look forward to future additions to the gallery!

LisaF@2 wrote
on Jul 15, 2008 5:52 AM

It's so wonderful that you put these galleries together. It's great to see the items on real people! However, I wish the garments with patterns/texture were in lighter colors--you really can't see the pattern on this given the dark color and it doesn't do it justice.  You'd probably sell more patterns also if the design was more visible.

KathyM wrote
on Jul 15, 2008 5:40 AM

I have learned so much from the galleries.  I'm a much more intelligent reader of patterns.  Thank you so much! and keep it up!

PS Sandi- love your short 'do.

Kathy

MariannaB wrote
on Jul 15, 2008 5:34 AM

Sandi, you do look great.  I like the galleries for both Knit Scene & IK; however, I have one request.  When all of you real ladies with real bodies wear the sample, please, please, please take your shirt or jeans or work clothes off and put the sample on over your underwear.  I find it distracting to see a t-shirt under the Ahlstrom Bodice (for example).  Thanks a lot, though, for the galleries they are very instructive.

MarcyP wrote
on Jul 15, 2008 5:09 AM

The Galleries are great. Many times the models are a size not known in the real world! It's very helpful to know the real size and how it will look on folks who actually eat.

Embgrades wrote
on Jul 15, 2008 4:44 AM

finally!!!  the information that should be with every knitting pattern -the models bust size and the sweaters bust (I can figure it out from the ease) I've never seen the point of saying what size the model is wearing if you don't know the size of the model. I'm hoping this is the start of a trend in the pattern world

Tsvete wrote
on Jul 15, 2008 2:10 AM

I looove your galleries! So useful and so pretty.

Sandy, you looks so great! And I love the Brocade Leaves Pullover, but maybe in a lighter colour?... just to be able to see the stitch. Well, we'll see...

Oh, geez, I can't wait for the next gallery :)

NatalieP wrote
on Jul 14, 2008 11:32 PM

Sandi

You do such a great job being politically correct about the "look".  If the girls who get to model the sweaters could sneek to your keyboard I am sure they would put in a bigger jibe than your tastefull comments on the poorly fitting examples.  I know I would not want to be a model and would refuse to get in front of the guinea pig photo session. even if it was a perfect fit.  Why are we knitters so self conscious about our knitting fit when we will go to the store and buy off the rack things that fit so much worse than the sweaters we make. ourselves from our own measurements?  We still find ways to be critical of our work.  I guess that the whole point of the galleries so that we quit buying ready wear that doesn't fit at all and pay attention to making our knitting flattering enough that we will really wear it.

Thanks to you and your brave models. I sure would take an ego hit if I had to pose for a bad picture as I think the "good" ones are horrible anyways. Make sure that you make something just for each one of them that looks fantastic and tell us what you did.

NatalieP

Hohjocello wrote
on Jul 14, 2008 9:51 PM

I love the galleries that show the same garment on several different people who happen to have "real life" bodies. I"m inspired to knit more!   Thanks for sharing.

NinaS wrote
on Jul 14, 2008 6:35 PM

I really appreciate seeing the garments on different people.  It is really interesting to see the garments on real people and not models.

CarolynL wrote
on Jul 14, 2008 5:51 PM

This is a wonderful gallery!  I decided to buy the magazine because all of these women looked so fantastic in these sweaters.

It can sometimes be discouraging to see beautiful sweaters pictured only on "perfectly sleek and skinny" models.  These women looked great, but also "real".  I think you should use this bunch in your magazine instead of professional models.

on Jul 14, 2008 5:50 PM

Love the new galleries! Very, very helpful to think about how different body types look in different garments. Amy looks like she's being a great sport about it all, and great sports make the best friends. May Amy continue to have plenty of fun with Interweave! Thanks for sharing.

Liat wrote
on Jul 14, 2008 5:12 PM

What a fantastic and fun idea! I am so excited about Knitscene and the new galleries. I can't wait to see the rest of the designs!

Great issue this month, by the way. All the girls at the yarn store I work at love it (including me)!

DianneK wrote
on Jul 14, 2008 5:05 PM

Really love the galleries...they are so helpful in thinking about the features of a pattern that will look good or not so good on my particular body type.  Thanks!

DieH wrote
on Jul 14, 2008 5:03 PM

Love, love, love the galleries. They make me want to knit things I wouldn't even think of for my figure. It's amazing to see the same sweater on different shapes.

And yes, Sandi -- you look fab!

Keep up the good work, DMH

CherylB wrote
on Jul 14, 2008 5:02 PM

To be honest,  I have liked other sweaters featured in your magazine more,  but they are still nice.

RollieA wrote
on Jul 14, 2008 4:34 PM

It would be most helpful if when a book is sold out you would just remove it from the list. Going through all the pages is a paim.

RA

on Jul 14, 2008 4:27 PM

HOLY COW!  Sandi - you look amazing!  You weren't kidding when you talked about some of your older sweaters not fitting any more.  What an inspiration!

Not only do the sweaters look gorgeous on you, but *you* look gorgeous!  (Not that you didn't look great before, but... WOW!) :)  Keep it up and thanks for being such a resource for all of us!