Preview Knitting Daily TV!

Jul 21, 2008

It's a Monday. That means the weekend is over (boo!) and here we all are at our desks again, feeling a bit o' the Monday blues.

How about a little pick-me-up? Would you like a little Monday treat?

How about a preview of the brand new Knitting Daily TV show?

Yes, I thought you all might like that. Just click on the box below to be transported into the wonderful world of yarn on TV...

Sooooo--what did you think? Are you as excited as I am to see the rest of the show, not to mention the other twelve episodes? Whoo!

(P.S. The sweater shown in the preview is the Shauna Sweater, and yes, you can download the pattern for free!)

I have a confession: I've already seen the first three episodes. (Don't hate me, OK, it's part of my job, right?) I love the Amazing Lace episode (#103), where Louisa Harding (author of Knitting Little Luxuries) shows this extremely clever way to knit the prettiest little flowers. (Download the free pattern for Louisa's little flowers from the Knitting Daily TV site--your regular Knitting Daily login info works there too.)  I mean, it's so easy and fun that I'm sure I could do it without a single bit of swearing. And if Deborah Knight shows me one more ball of luscious Quviut, my resistance will weaken and I will be forced to take along a large dog comb and go find a musk ox somewhere. (It's so cute--she puts this teensy, weensy ball of Quviut on a silver platter to show how special it is, and then shows us pretty things to knit with it. ARGH. Must. Stay. Strong.)

The show starts airing on select public broadcasting stations TODAY, so check the Knitting Daily TV website to see if it is showing in your area. If you just can't wait, however, the entire first season is available for purchase on DVD, also starting today.

I've got a preview copy of the DVD. I feel so deliciously wicked--I am going to sit down with a cold beverage, my knitting, and watch the other ten episodes, straight through. Or at least, that's my plan. Real life might intervene. We Shall See.

How about you?

Sandi Wiseheart is the editor of Knitting Daily.

Comments

Betty L.C wrote
on Jan 18, 2012 8:52 AM

I am soooooo frustrated.   I have clicked every possibility trying to find out when the Knitting Daily Show is on local PBS channel....I want to know the time of day, the actual day etc.  Why is it so hard to find this basic information?   Betty Collins   pee ess:  I live in the Deltona, Florida area....I am a PBS subscriber....I knit....what else do you need to know???

LauraK wrote
on Jul 30, 2008 12:36 PM

Not in my area either...just WHERE IS IT SHOWING.......too sad.

BeverlyP wrote
on Jul 26, 2008 7:03 PM

I downloaded the Juliet scarf ( which contains the Rosette pattern people are trying to find). Thought I'd let you know that the written out instructions for the scarf are different than the chart instructions. The chart will produce the pictured scarf,I believe, but the written instructions are coming out quite different from the picture, Looks like inverted triangles so far.

Ah well..................

I don't have a TV, but the series looks like fun.

Beverly, New Mexico

KiwiB wrote
on Jul 24, 2008 12:32 PM

This is my first visit and I should take a day of vacation as I haven't dont a bit of work today. None of the links that I tried went to the Shauna sweater and I also did a search and couldn't find it. I would also love the pattern. Yikes, this is going to get me fired!!!!

AudreyA wrote
on Jul 23, 2008 1:27 PM

Does anyone know if the DVD is captioned for the hearing-impaired (or subtitled in English)?  I have a cochlear implant and can't understand most of what they are saying on the preview.  Thanks!

BarbaraK wrote
on Jul 23, 2008 8:37 AM

Bonjour!

The preview is very exciting, and, since I'm living in France with no chance to see it on air, I had the DVD already in the cart when I thought of the area code... Could you check if the European zone can read the DVD?

Let's hope!

Susanne@2 wrote
on Jul 23, 2008 5:44 AM

The preview looks very interesting.

Will there be a dvd country code - if yes, I won´t be abel to watch it in Europe! If the code is 0 everyone around the world can get and watch the DVD.

heathergem wrote
on Jul 23, 2008 2:34 AM

I am soooo envious what you have in the US. In Germany we can only dream of such a TV show.

I like the sweater, its really clever and I hope I can watch the show some day.

BarbD wrote
on Jul 22, 2008 5:33 PM

For Helga;

Thanks for the heads up.  The computer has been doing a few odd things lately.  Maybe it needs to go see a (techie) doctor.

Good to know that it's fixable (I hope).  Thanks again.

cindy50 wrote
on Jul 22, 2008 1:36 PM

This has been on in my area for awhile now. LOVE IT!

Every week is a learning experience.

MaryC@5 wrote
on Jul 22, 2008 1:16 PM

I agree with Sherril S - you DEFINITELY need more PBS affiliates! I have been an avid knitter/crocheter ince I was six years old, & I would love for this show to be aired in my area. (I live on Long Island in NY). I did preview the show & I absolutely LOVE IT!!!!

SherrilS wrote
on Jul 22, 2008 11:22 AM

I think maybe you need to get more PBS affiliates. The show is not airing anywhere in my state (Nevada), and when I contacted my local PBS station, they said it was NOT available from the national PBS group. What gives?

LauraS@5 wrote
on Jul 22, 2008 10:33 AM

I am so-o-o bummed!  When attempting to view the video, a message displayed that it was no longer available!?!

Rjray7 wrote
on Jul 22, 2008 9:59 AM

Lucky me!  I live i the Cincinnati area, but it will be on WPTO out of Dayton and we will get it this afternoon at 2:00--can't wait.  I feel very privileged.

CristieG wrote
on Jul 22, 2008 9:11 AM

I'm so sad to see that this isn't airing in CT.  I need Knitting TV!!!

LalaR wrote
on Jul 22, 2008 8:13 AM

Any idea on when the show is coming to Atlanta PBS stations?  We have a large knitting community and lots of potential viewers.  We would love to have you.

MichelleP wrote
on Jul 22, 2008 7:58 AM

It would be great if you could add a link to your site enabling people to petition their local PBS stations to have the knitting show added to the schedule.

LaurieB wrote
on Jul 22, 2008 6:31 AM

Wow, available on only 21 PBS affiliates in the country, and no major markets.   Ugh!  Sounds like a job for streaming video.... (Tra la lah!)

on Jul 22, 2008 5:59 AM

It's going to be on KLRU-2 in Austin,TX!  I guess I'll have to find someone to record it for me as I don't even have the basic-est of cable.  Any chance this will ever be a 'streaming video on our website' kind of show??  Like they do with some shows on the network websites?

DoraH wrote
on Jul 22, 2008 5:20 AM

I am also disappointed that Knitting Daily TV will not be aired in Tri-Cities TN.  I have in the past written to the two local PBS stations to get Shay Pendray's program to be carried but without success.  Is there something we can do to persuade stations to carry it?

KatieK wrote
on Jul 22, 2008 5:07 AM

I can't find the pattern for little flowers. I don't understand why this site is so difficult to navigate. I've had to log in five times to get anywhere. This is rather disappointing. Sandi made it sound like this was such a great thing but with the unavailability of the show and various features on the website, it's a bust. Surely they can do better than this.

CherylP wrote
on Jul 22, 2008 3:02 AM

ALSO CANNOT VIEW IN ANN ARBOR, MICHIGAN OR WEST PALM BEACH, FLORIDA, WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT WITH ALL THE ADVERTISING YOU DID AND IT IS UNAVAILABLE!

Aquila wrote
on Jul 21, 2008 8:47 PM

I sure hope it comes on here in Montgomery, AL--pbs--I love knitting and crocheting--and cant wait to buy the DVD--thanks

SonomaKnits wrote
on Jul 21, 2008 8:25 PM

Can't wait to get a copy as I can't find the new show in Northern California.  Can't wait. Thanks for making the DVD available NOW.

Cheers, Phyllis in Sonoma

MargaretB wrote
on Jul 21, 2008 8:18 PM

Sigh. Got home at 9 p.m. MDT, and couldn't see the preview.  When I clicked on the YouTube arrow, I got the message, "This video is no longer available." Sigh.

Marg in Calgary, AB, Canada

JANETK wrote
on Jul 21, 2008 8:16 PM

I live in central FL and I am not surprised that we do not get the show here---I can't get any knitting or craft shows here either....hope it gets picked up by more stations as it gains in popularity

Anne MarieW wrote
on Jul 21, 2008 8:10 PM

I did a quick scan of PBS Channels that will be running this show. As many others have already said, not that many in metro areas. Hmm, cynic in me says, build up hype for show most of us won't be able to  access, then sell them the DVD. Well, even if I were desperate enough to buy the DVD's. can't afford to. Add to list of things I could buy if ever get handed buckets of money and already bought everything else that I needed more. Wait, if I had buckets of discretionary $$$$, I could move to Sioux City and watch it on TV.

Susankoester wrote
on Jul 21, 2008 7:49 PM

Not in DC (with 3 PBS stations) either.  Oh well.  We have other knitting TV, although this looks like it would have been good.

I clicked through several links on the "check local listings" page and couldn't find any listings.  Sounds like a lot of hype for something that is available thru DVD only for a heck of a lot of us.

RachelS@2 wrote
on Jul 21, 2008 7:06 PM

I love the preview and all the written material- free patterns, etc.  I wish I could see it on my local PBS but it's not in the Atlanta area either.  I will oder the DVD soon.  That will be better anyway.  I can watch the episodes as many times as I want to.  I think this idea is really exciting especially since I don't have access to national teachers very often.

Rachel

StacyB wrote
on Jul 21, 2008 6:50 PM

I am so disappointed that this has such limited viewing area.  I have been checking my local listings since I first learned that this show was being created.  I live in Chicago and was completely shocked to find it isn't airing here. I read the rest of the posts I was even more shocked to learn it really isn't airing anywhere.  Other than calling our local PBS station does anyone have any other suggestions?

chezbag wrote
on Jul 21, 2008 6:42 PM

Uhhh... am I the only one who doesn't see the little box to see the preview online?  The show is not airing in San Francisco either.  So it seems like it's certainly not airing in any of the major markets...  just a bait and switch to buy the DVD?

ElleH wrote
on Jul 21, 2008 5:23 PM

Ah, poo. You had me going there...but, alas, the website tells me, nay nay nay...not in my area...yet. C'mon PBS. Some of us here in the great state of Florida surely do love our knitting.  I feel a letter writing campaign coming on...

Tess wrote
on Jul 21, 2008 5:10 PM

Quite a number of local stations are showing the Knit Daily TV series.  For a complete list, go to

knittingdailytv.com/.../schedule.aspx

and click on "View All Schedules - Check Listings"

Surely Interweave would love to have every PBS station in the country broadcasting it, so if your station isn't, then you need to let the station know what you want.  And keep in mind that PBS stations are particularly sensitive to their members' preferences, so let them know if you are a member (and consider becoming one if you aren't!).

I guess Eunny does say 'um' a bit more than most TV personalities, but I didn't even notice until it was pointed out in the comments - I was too engrossed in Eunny's beautiful voice and the way she generously pointed out the lovely details in the sweater design.  Great presentation!

EvelynU wrote
on Jul 21, 2008 5:09 PM

Gotta disagree with Francesca about the um's. This is a natural part of conversational speech and from a linguistic point of view, it actually adds to comprehensibility by providing pauses. If it's excessive, it can become distracting, but I think Eunny sounded very natural (I love the timbre of her voice) and that trying to stop saying um would make her overall speaking worse.

EvelynU wrote
on Jul 21, 2008 5:02 PM

I ordered it on dvd immediately, so that I don't have to stress over finding it on tv.

DonnaT wrote
on Jul 21, 2008 4:52 PM

I agree with the others expressing disappointment that the show is not airing in several major US cities.  I have access to at least 3 PBS stations in the Chicago Northern IN area & it is not on any of them!!  If it is also not in Milwaukee, Minneapolis or LA, where is it?

KathyW@2 wrote
on Jul 21, 2008 4:44 PM

WHERE IS this program airing - in the UK!  CERTAINLY not in the US.  but apparently in the UMM!  (yes, there were a lot of UMM's in there!)  It's o.k.  knitters are supposed to knit NOT talk!

MernaS wrote
on Jul 21, 2008 4:36 PM

I'm in the Los Angeles as well. How disapointing not to have it air here! Just where is this program airing anyway?

LindaH@3 wrote
on Jul 21, 2008 4:34 PM

Wish we could pick up the show, not here in Atlanta.

Also, not able to download the Louisa's little flowers, there

seems to be a problem with the leg warmers and beret, also.

Really did want to check out the little flowers.

By the way, in my busy day, I look forward to reading Knitting Daily.  Great job.

linda

on Jul 21, 2008 4:33 PM

OK like others I am not able to find when the show will air and what channel. I am in the Cotati, Ca area 94931 and not able to find it on Channel 22 or 17???????

Also what is it with the FREE pattern for the flowers???? Can not find that either. What is happening when you get everyone so excited for the news of the show and we cannot get there? Please help all of us WHO WANT TO KNOW.

Thanks, Teri from Cotati, Ca

JeniferF wrote
on Jul 21, 2008 4:32 PM

o.k. I think I will move to Mars maybe...seems like no one I know on this continent can view this show. I live in Newport, RI and the Providence area is not getting it and I will be in Boston visiting my kids alot and they are not getting it there either!

JanL wrote
on Jul 21, 2008 4:28 PM

Well after reading the comments I can see that I'm not alone. I live in southern CA - Orange County and it's not here. Weird that so many metro areas don't get it.

JanL wrote
on Jul 21, 2008 4:11 PM

Wahhhhh!  It's not in my area yet.  I do hope they pick it up! It looks great!

Helga wrote
on Jul 21, 2008 4:11 PM

This is for BARB D.

I think that your computer is the problem.  I live in Canada and can watch it.  I had similar problems before, I got my new computer, but right I am having a problem trying to get this message to you.

Vis Major wrote
on Jul 21, 2008 4:02 PM

Well, shoot - I just confirmed with that handy "TV Schedules" link you offer that KDTV isn't airing in my area.  Are there suggestions for how to persuade tv stations to carry KDTV?

Roxane M wrote
on Jul 21, 2008 4:00 PM

As a matter of fact, it isn't in my daughter's neighborhood, my sister's neighborhood, my dad's neighborhood, or my mother-in-law's neighborhood.  Where do you have to live to see this?  Will it be available on iTunes?

LeslieA wrote
on Jul 21, 2008 3:59 PM

Interweave is HQ'din Colorado!  We love knitting here, have wonderful LYSs and obsessed knitters! And this show isn't on any of our local PBS channels.  I am so sad!  Why have our local stations been so callous?

KimberlyC wrote
on Jul 21, 2008 3:56 PM

Remember to bring this to Canada too, I can't wait!

Roxane M wrote
on Jul 21, 2008 3:54 PM

Great show, but not in my neighborhood.  As usual.

thursday wrote
on Jul 21, 2008 3:53 PM

Wow - looks like the show is pretty limited in distribution so far. I'm not sure I know anyone in any of those places. Hmm...well, perhaps it will be popular and then get picked up by more stations? I hope so!

AnnR wrote
on Jul 21, 2008 3:47 PM

I feel so bad that I can't get the TV Knitting Daily show. I did talk to my local PBS station and they are not carrying it. Who gets it?

Thryth wrote
on Jul 21, 2008 3:42 PM

How exactly are we suppose to watch the preview.  There is no link to a box to click on.  Also, the program is not showing in the Seattle area - what's up with that?  Do you people have something against the West Coast or what?  We have some of the largest yarn relatedcommunities in the States out our way.  Can you tell I'm disappointed?

KimT@2 wrote
on Jul 21, 2008 3:29 PM

not able to see the preview.  The show is not airing in california either.  Super disappointing, but I guess I am not alone.  I will try youtube

BarbD wrote
on Jul 21, 2008 3:25 PM

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong with YouTube?  Every single time I try to watch something on it, I get, "We're sorry, this video is no longer available".  Irksome.  I'm in Canada--does that have anything to do with it?  (Probably doesn't help much that I'm technologically challenged.......)

Anyhow, I will wait patiently till the show airs on a PBS station I get.  We get one from the Washington area (KCTS), and one from Detroit (?!?).  Being patient.  Really.  I am.  :)

PattiO wrote
on Jul 21, 2008 3:12 PM

I'm unable to preview the show, nor is it on TV in my area (SF Bay area...) so where exactly is it airing????  It looks like a good show, if I got it, I would watch it for sure.

DodieR wrote
on Jul 21, 2008 3:10 PM

Amy:  I really love both sweaters and would like to buy the DVD also, But I have forgotten my password and it won't let me do anything (whine).  Could  you have one of your computure gurus send me an email to tell me what it is.  Thanks so much.  Dodie Reed

GEPearson wrote
on Jul 21, 2008 3:05 PM

I don't see it on my local PBS schedule; I hope it is added later (they always shuffle shows here). Or maybe it will be available on NetFlix!

AndiN wrote
on Jul 21, 2008 3:05 PM

Is there anyone out there that is getting the show?  It isn't in Milwaukee, either. Not Chicago, LA, Milwaukee, Mpls, if it isn't in the big cities, where is it? Boo! And WPTV is not known for responding to requests quickly. It would be wonderful if the episodes could be put on KDTV to download them after they air.  It would be easier for some to pay by the episode rather than all the episodes at once, a la iTunes.  We have done this for other shows and love the convenience of having them on the computer to watch when needed.  What a long awaited show for fiber artists and then to have it just out of our reach! I am glad that it is out there at least!

KellyA wrote
on Jul 21, 2008 2:57 PM

It looks like it's broadcast in a fairly limited area.  But the Juliet scarf looks very nice.

Mary BethB@2 wrote
on Jul 21, 2008 2:57 PM

It's not airing in Dallas-Fort Worth, either.  Where in the world IS it coming on!?

Mardelle wrote
on Jul 21, 2008 2:52 PM

I'm going contact our local station (Mpls/St Paul and suggest they check into this program... we have long winters to knit.

MM

AngieW wrote
on Jul 21, 2008 2:43 PM

I guess the Midwest is not in the plan either!  I have access to four PBS stations - not on any of them!

JOG wrote
on Jul 21, 2008 2:42 PM

Not in Los Angeles?  Disappointing.

Mary AnnC wrote
on Jul 21, 2008 2:41 PM

How disappointing that Chicago is not one of the markets where this show will be aired.  Oh well...I guess I'll continue to get my knitting "fix" right here...

Mary Ann

who would also like to know the link for the Shauna Sweater

SuzanneL wrote
on Jul 21, 2008 2:31 PM

Oops... Are you sure it's there?

Suzanne

SuzanneL wrote
on Jul 21, 2008 2:29 PM

The show will be great, even better when it comes to Boston television.  I LOVE the Shauna Sweater but can't seem to get to the download, or any pattern download for that matter, vis your link OR the Knitting Daily TV site.  Are you sure it's thee?  PLEASE HELP!  Many thanks,

Suzanne

JudithA wrote
on Jul 21, 2008 2:28 PM

Not airing in the Portland, OR metro area.

booooooooo.

ElizabethD wrote
on Jul 21, 2008 2:17 PM

I. Want. Your Job.

:-)

KatY wrote
on Jul 21, 2008 1:59 PM

I'm amazed at how few metropolitan areas aren't showing this.  NYC?  SF Bay Area?  SeaTac?  I seldom watch TV except PBS.  One less cooking show on a Saturday would be fine with me if it meant I could watch Knitters.

Nmucciolo wrote
on Jul 21, 2008 1:49 PM

completely awesome!  let's hope youtube has lots of clips since NYC isn't showing it either...

KD Sandi wrote
on Jul 21, 2008 1:47 PM

Hi JocelynG! You can download the pattern for the sweater in the preview on the Knitting Daily TV site--it's called the Shauna Sweater. I added a link in the post above. (And again: Your Knitting Daily login info will work on the Knitting Daily TV site.)

Pretty, isn't it? (the sweater, not your login info...oh, never mind)

--Sandi

Supersusie wrote
on Jul 21, 2008 1:41 PM

wow, super cool! i wonder if it is going to air on any canadian stations?

susie.

Francesca wrote
on Jul 21, 2008 1:39 PM

Not that I wouldn't watch this anyhow if it were playing in my area, but Eunny say "um"  a lot. I hope she gets better about this because in the preview segment it is truly obnoxious.

(And yes, I know a lot of people have this habit but people who are going to be on tv should work on their public speaking. I've been a proponent of bringing back rhetoric lessons for many years now because I've had to sit through so many "um" filled presentations.)

JocelynG wrote
on Jul 21, 2008 1:38 PM

Looks like I'll have to buy the set b/c my PBS station doesn't have the show.  Grrr.  I'm sure everyone will want to know where the pattern for the demo sweater can be found.  I'd sure like to know!

PhyllisG wrote
on Jul 21, 2008 1:22 PM

I think the show is going to be a wonderful inspiration to fiber people.

When is it going to start and how do we find out when it will be shown in our area?

Phyllis in NW IN