The Fall Knits Preview is here!

Jul 23, 2008

A note from Sandi:

The new Fall 2008 issue of Interweave Knits is here! And that means it's PREVIEW TIME...so I asked Eunny Jang, the editor of Knits, to tell us all what knitting treats await us:

It's July right now–in Baltimore, that means steaming sidewalks, iced tea, and ball games–but fall is right around the corner. Within a couple months, cooler weather will be here–in knitting time, that's just one sweater, or two vests, or four pairs of socks away. Within the pages of Knits, you‚ll find ample inspiration to prepare for the coming of fall: quick, flattering knits out of bulky yarns; projects that mix and match fibers and weights (hello, stash!); projects that explore unique constructions; and projects of all sizes that explore the things wool can do.

That last story is one of my favorites. It captures what our editorial knitting stories are all about–exploring the many directions a single inspiration can go in, giving insight in the process–but I also think of it as an example of how good, how satisfying, knitting is at all levels, in all facets. For me, getting back to basics with knitting never feels boring or tired: those stitches, those yarns, those movements are always compelling, because there's always something new to try, something new to explore or learn, and something new to be made every time. Wool? Sure, we know all about it. But think about how it changes when used in different blends, when spun in a different way, when worked up into a different kind of fabrics. Wool feels basic, but there's an awful lot to explore there.  Plus, between sweaters, socks, accessories, and more, there's an awful lot to make.

So get knitting, and dig into the aspects of knitting you find most fascinating. Is it fiber? Perhaps our yarn articles will scratch the itch, or maybe the projects that consider fiber qualities carefully, and play them off each other for maximum effect. Is it constructions? Look for innovative tailoring and asymmetrical shapes. Technique? Understand and perfect invisible cast ons and bind offs once and for all with Beyond the Basics. Design? Check out what Kate Gilbert has to say about her design process.

Welcome fall!

View the Preview of the Fall 2008 issue of Interweave Knits magazine!

Eunny Jang
Editor, Interweave Knits

Comments

KimK@2 wrote
on Jul 31, 2008 5:51 AM

It's about time the fashion industry starts to realize that plus sizes and the models are something they should have done YEARS ago.  Be careful, though not to accent areas of the body that most women want to hide, or not bring attention to.

LisaB wrote
on Jul 25, 2008 2:15 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the lovely curvy model in the Sidelines top and the Neapolitan Cardigan! I hope to see one (or both?) of those garments in the galleries. *crosses fingers*

LetitiaK wrote
on Jul 25, 2008 8:50 AM

can you tell me where i can purchase the aktraditions dolls etc. ?

tesh

lynnel38 wrote
on Jul 24, 2008 1:45 PM

Aside from the Windowpane Coat and the red sweater on our favorite model, I am not in love with any of the designs.  Most of them are either things I don't need another pattern for (mittens, socks, stole) or really out-there things that scream "I knit it myself!" and not in a good way.  I wish I could trade this issue in for the current Knitscene, which has so many wonderful patterns!

Anyway, I thought Knitscene was the go-to mag for the "I knit it myself" out-there look....

I'm waiting for you to change my mind with some galleries, Sandi!  You've done it before!

on Jul 24, 2008 12:19 PM

THANK YOU--- thank you, thank you, thank you for finally including a fuller-figured model in the magazine!  I (and I sense, many others) have been waiting for this for a long time.  It's great to see at least a couple of items modeled by a woman who looks more like me- although she isn't "plus size" she has a curvier figure-- so I can have a better idea of what things I actually want to make for myself.  You picked a beautiful model, too, and she looks great in the garments.

Thanks again!!  I am so psyched to get my copy in the mail!

ElizabethM wrote
on Jul 24, 2008 12:02 PM

Love the Tweedy Waist Coat and the Pea Coat.  I will was just thinking yesterday that I would like to make some kind of coat.

Issmayonglay wrote
on Jul 24, 2008 10:19 AM

I have to say that my heart leaped with joy to see a gorgeous woman model a beautiful, form-fitting 40" sweater that WASN'T "just" a plus-size design. That sweater starts at a 32" size, but the fact is, the majority of the population won't be knitting it in that size.

I'm a pretty average size myself, not skinny-winny, not overstuffed ;)  and I would love to continue to see women of all shapes and sizes (and ethnicities) reflected in the pages of my favorite magazines. Kudos to Knits (and Knitscene, for using "real" women)!!

Oh, and I consider the designs that are released online to be bonuses; gifts, if you will, and I appreciate them. It's a thoughtful touch!

Thank you for all of the inspiration!

HannaO wrote
on Jul 24, 2008 9:00 AM

I am in full agreement that it is lovely to see a beautiful, curvy model on your pages. Coupled with the really excellent galleries you post each season, this site gives me so much insight into how different designs will look on me. In fact, I just ran out and bought the new Knitscene issue because the Opulent Raglan looked like such a figure flatterer on the bustier models.

ChristineL wrote
on Jul 24, 2008 8:06 AM

Love the Sideline Pullover and the Neapolitan Pullover - and the plus-size model is gorgeous! Actually I pretty much love all of the projects in here - great issue!

BonnieR wrote
on Jul 24, 2008 7:34 AM

Many LOVELY patterns...Tweedy waistcoat, Whisper Stripe Pullover (Michele Rose Orne is becoming a favorite designer) and the Zigzag beenie is so cute.  But I must make the Little Blue Sweater very soon.  Of course, I am right between sizes, so I would love to see a gallery for this one...how does it look with a couple inches of negative vs. a couple inches of positive ease....please, Sandy!  Can't wait to get my issue!  Thanks for the preview.

Bonnie

VanessaJ wrote
on Jul 24, 2008 4:41 AM

OMG!!!! THis issue is Awesome!  I am in love with the Windowpane Coat!  Cannot wait to get my issue and start this one. I will wear this all winter for sure!!!

Vanessa in Upstate NY

www.butterflyjknitter.blogspot.com

jennantonnix wrote
on Jul 24, 2008 4:20 AM

Hooray for the big girls!  The Sidelines top looks AWESOME!  I'm going to make three, in different colors.  YAAAAAAY!  And maybe the biigest size of the Afterthought Darts cardigan, but as a pullover.  Haven't been this excited about an upcoming IK in a while.

Tsvete wrote
on Jul 24, 2008 1:22 AM

I really like the new issue, there are some very inspired pieces. I totally love the blue vests and the Little Blue Sweater, the Whisper Stripe Pullover is so adorable... and I'm already thinking of making in red and crimson :)

And I think that it's really very cool that the free patterns come on different dates. Now I know that July 25 is gonna be a very special day ;))) Oh, to live in sweet expectation!

Love you all, xoxo

KelL wrote
on Jul 23, 2008 8:18 PM

I love the model who is pictured with the Sideline sweater and others! All the models are beautiful, bit it helps to imagine the sweater on me after I see it on a curvy girl. Love her!

MarilouM wrote
on Jul 23, 2008 7:04 PM

All I see here are patterns that will emphasize the part of the body that most women want to hide...the stomach. I do not really see anything that will suit any of us who are over 45  and under 5'10".  Sorry but I think this is one issue I will take a pass on. Thanks for allowing me to save my money!

DeborahF wrote
on Jul 23, 2008 6:46 PM

re: IK Fall '08 - Whenzitcomingwhenzitcomingwhenzitcoming?!  Cannot wait to start the cover jacket. I will be using the yarn from my frogged CPH.  Looks like *great* projects in this issue!

knittingbox wrote
on Jul 23, 2008 5:38 PM

I think it's total bullshit that you are doling out the web-only patterns bit by bit.  Obviously IK is a business, but lately I feel like it's just one giant commercial, and frankly I'm really getting sick of it. If this continues I definitely will not be renewing my subscription. this is my third year as a subscriber and I feel like it's getting worse and worse.

on Jul 23, 2008 5:02 PM

The new fall issue looks really great.  Love the gray and white vest and one of the set of fingerless mitts will be on my long list of 'things I want to knit'.  Thanks for a wonderful, always creative, magazine.

Linda M., Burlington, WI

BarbH wrote
on Jul 23, 2008 4:58 PM

I'm in so much trouble- I LOVE all the designs in this issue - how will I ever choose what to knit.  It's incredible that you can put together such an awesome issue.  Can't wait to get my copy!

AelredS wrote
on Jul 23, 2008 4:54 PM

I am a man who knits.  I know, I know...there aren't THAT many of us, but the numbers are growing, I think...I hope!  Anyway, why no projects for men in the Fall Issue?  Don't get me wrong.  I still LOVE the magazine, and the projects for this issue look fun.  And, let's face it, I give most of what I knit away as gifts, but now and then, I want to make something for myself besides another pair of socks, or a throw.  I'm pretty good at designing my own sweaters, but it's always good to see what Interweave Knits can offer in the way of a great sweater for men.  Surely it hasn't all already been done.

Keep up the good work, but throw us guys a bone now and then.  Thanks!

dancink wrote
on Jul 23, 2008 4:09 PM

Is that a model with curves? Really? In an awesomely-fitted sweater that actually shows off said curves? ::is so happy she could burst::

getta wrote
on Jul 23, 2008 3:55 PM

What does it take to produce a pattern for a jacket with properly fitted sleeves?

It seems to me that lately everyone is taking the "who cares what it looks like" attitude. A little more work and care should be put into producing proper paterns - patterns that will look good and reflect the thought and hours of work it takes to produce them.

I do not enjoy rewrting them for proper sleeve fit!