Editor's Choice Fall Knits Galleries: Part 2

Aug 13, 2008

braided pulloverThis week, we are featuring the Editor's Choice Galleries: Eunny Jang, editor of Interweave Knits, chose six garments from the new Fall 2008 issue of Knits for our Gallery Gals to try on. Eunny also shares a little bit about three of the sweaters, to give you even more information and insight. On Monday, she talked about the Backstage Tweed Jacket, and we showed you the Backstage Tweed Jacket Gallery as well as the Little Blue Sweater Gallery. (Check out the list of all past Galleries here.)

What's a Gallery? It's where members of the Interweave office staff (a.k.a. "The Gallery Gals") tryon the sample garments used in the actual magazine photoshoot so you can see how the sweaters fit on women of varying sizes and shapes. It's tons of fun--and to make it even more valuable for you, I write little individualized commentaries for each woman and each sweater, to give you ideas of how to customize your own knitting.

Today, we have two new Galleries for you:

Braided Pullover

Afterthought Darts Cardigan

Here's what Eunny wrote about the Braided Pullover:

I love the high, narrow 40's armhole of this design--it makes the garment hang beautifully, whether you've got broad or narrow shoulders. Fit in that area is important, however--consider knitting the upper back and front of the garment in a wider or narrower size, depending on your particular proportions; choose the right size based on the cross-back measurements on the schematic.

The bias front cable, which wraps around the neck, is pretty spectacular. It looks good in a variety of positions, but you can always adjust placement by adjusting the slope rate.

There are two more garments from Interweave Knits Fall 2008 to show you later this week--don't miss them!

Knitting Daily factoid from Sandi: I was a subscriber to FOUR, count 'em, FOUR Interweave magazines before I ever came to work here: Interweave Knits, Beadwork, Handwoven, and Spin-Off. (I was getting ready to sign up for Piecework as well, but then they gave me the job.) If you're a knitter, and you're not a subscriber to Interweave Knits, you can sign up to subscribe online and we'll send four issues a year straight to your doorstep. (If you can't subscribe, please give your local yarn shop some love and buy your magazines there!)

Sandi Wiseheart is the editor of Knitting Daily. Packing trumps knitting right now, unfortunately, but I'm valiantly trying to have the Camisa, worked in String of Pearls yarn from Muench (prettypretty not to mention sparklysparkly!) done before I leave for Canada. (Canada countdown? 19 days till we get there!)

Comments

Ann@3 wrote
on Aug 14, 2008 4:05 PM

I'd really like to see multiple angles in your photos.  One is not enough to make me want to buy the pattern.  I think you'd sell a lot more if we could see more.  Thanks.

remove wrote
on Aug 14, 2008 12:57 PM

I love the Knitting Daily newsletter, particularly the Knitting Galleries, but everything else as well, including the advertisements. I look forward to getting it, even if I can't find time to read it for several days. I've subscribed to Knits for several years and buy a lot of books, but even when I'm not learning something new, I like being reminded of books, ideas, and patterns that I already have.

Thank-you! And keep it up!

Yarnsnob wrote
on Aug 14, 2008 9:26 AM

Now I just noticed the discouraging words contributed by "Knittingbox@yahoo.com"  BUMMER.  I so enjoy the Knitting Daily newsletter and galleries, as well as the many FREE patterns we have access to.

Keep up the good work, Sandy, et al.  If Knittingbox would simply look "outside the box," type in "knitting" and search the web, I'm sure many other options will show up to try.  I, for one, look forward to receiving the Knitting Daily newsletter in my e-mail.  Interweave is a quality organization overall, with unique styles, projects, and techniques to try.

Thank you for a fun, quality newsletter!

Yarnsnob wrote
on Aug 14, 2008 8:29 AM

The Gallery is simply a wonderful feature.  I have changed my mind about several different garments that I had dismissed out-of-hand looking at the magazine.

Are sample garments requested to be knit in a particular size?  Or, must the magazine just take what they get?  Most of the samples really appear too small for the lovely gallery models.  Not all; this sweater seems to fit more ladies.  I passed this sweater by in the magazine after a second look.  I love the V-neck and the assymetrical cables, and the generous rib at the bottom.

For some who feel that the rib calls attention to the midsection, try this:  knit the bottom rib on larger needles, and knit it even deeper than called for.  I find this to be a more flattering look.  OR, adjust the instructions to result in more ease at the hip/tummy.  Negative ease, or very little positive ease, at the bust looked well on just about everyone.  Those of us who are short-or long-waisted might need to make som adjustments for the best fit.  Some of us who have had several children are sensitive about our tummies!

pkhamriang wrote
on Aug 13, 2008 7:38 PM

Chill Out knittingbox@yahoo.com!  You sound like you're on the verge of a nervous breakdown.  If you're 5 yos, this tantrum is still too much.   They're not running a charity so get used to it or get out!

BethanyL wrote
on Aug 13, 2008 7:36 PM

remember what our parents use to say to us>>>> if you cant say something nice, dont say anything at all..   we all need to act our ages, as kathleen said if you dont like it the unsubscribe.  i personally like the fact that we get the discount emails, because they do come in handy.

KathleenH@3 wrote
on Aug 13, 2008 4:48 PM

I agree with Debra!  If you feel so strongly, then please feel free to unsubscribe.  It seems that this site is not to your liking. I would rather hear suggestions for positive change rather than negative rants.

Debra D. wrote
on Aug 13, 2008 4:37 PM

If that is your opinion and your very strong feeling, then you really don't need to be a part of this forum.  It just seems to 'run you up the flag pole' and I, for one, don't want to be included in your diatribe.  I hope you find a site more to your liking.

knittingbox wrote
on Aug 13, 2008 1:58 PM

I understand that you "need" to send us e-mail ads, but please don't continue to insult out intelligence by making it seem like 10 PERCENT OFF!!!! is such a big **** deal. It's just not. And I think I may unsubscribe from this site simply because I feel like nearly every one of your ads insults my intelligence and that of everyone else who receives this. Come'on guys. Don't treat us like we are 5-years- old and then expect us to spend $400 knitting a mediocre pattern.