Favorite TV Moments from the Knitting Daily TV Cast and Crew

Sep 24, 2008

Knitting Needle BagToday, we continue our behind-the-scenes look at last week's Season 2 tapings of Knitting Daily TV with more from Jaime Guthals:

One of the best parts of my job as segment producer is finding your versions of some of our most popular patterns and coordinating their 15 minutes of fame on the show. These are our “You Made It” segments, and this season we featured projects by readers from Interweave Knits, Interweave Crochet, Spin-Off, Handwoven, and books like Bag Style. We ooh and ahh when we open your packages--just like we do with the ones from the designers. It really is rewarding to see your versions of their patterns, and we’re always impressed with your creative twists and modifications.

What were the hosts’ favorite moments?
As we were packing up the green room to go our separate ways home to Baltimore (Eunny), Detroit (Shay), Loveland, Colorado (Liz), and Vancouver, Canada (Kim), I asked each of them to tell you in their own words.

eunny mittsEunny Jang: I think my favorite moment was meeting and getting to work with one of my knitting icons, Nancy Bush, author of Knitted Lace of Estonia and several other lace and sock books. When she walked into the green room, unpacked her suitcase, and started casually pulling out beautiful Estonian lace shawl after lace shawl, I was rendered pretty much speechless.

Shay Pendray: One of the highlights of my week was hosting the “finding the perfect pattern for your body type” segment with my co-hosts and the shows’ producers as models. They’re all so comfortable in their own skin, yet they have very different shapes. These types of segments show the viewer that the hosts have personality—and that we’re real people with the same problems trying to choose knitwear patterns for ourselves. It shows audiences that we’re one of them, and when generating content we really do think about what the knitter at home wants to see.

Liz Gipson: I had the opportunity to spend some time with TNNA’s Helping Hands Foundation intergenerational cross stitch group (grandmothers and granddaughters). I asked one of the girls, “What is it like being taught by your grandmother?” She replied that it was great, because unlike school if she did something wrong she didn’t get detention. You gotta love teenagers. Knitting Needle Bag

Kim Werker: I loved hanging out and talking with Annie Modesitt in the green room the day she did her taping. When it came time for me to run through my segment on hand-painted yarns, Annie jumped in with such a killer answer that we asked her to do the segment with me. As a bonus, I learned Annie’s nifty way to winding by hand yarn from a hank to create a center-pull ball that’s neat and lovely.

Have you watched the Knitting Daily TV DVDs from Season 1 or caught the program on your local PBS station? If you haven’t looked at the schedule of air dates and times lately, be sure to check out all the new cities that are now airing the program. Most recently the show started airing in Chicago, Los Angeles, and San Francisco—yeah! We owe a special thanks to all the fiber fans in those cities that contacted their station requesting the program.

Purchase the first season of Knitting Daily TV on DVDs so you can watch your favorite episodes over and over.

What has been your favorite moment, or technique tutorial, of the first season? Leave a comment and let us know!

Comments

gr8knitwit wrote
on Oct 14, 2008 9:07 AM

It was thanks to Knitting Daily that I first saw the pattern for the Knitting Needle Knitting Bag and I've received so many compliments for the one I've knitted!!  The pattern is soooooooooooooo easy and the result is very satisfying!!

farm3.static.flickr.com/.../2191683661_ea990d1fc0_m.jpg

Marty wrote
on Oct 8, 2008 3:57 PM

To LuckyinKy:

Jaime,

Thank you so very much for listening to us, the fans of KDTV!

I can't wait to see Season 2!

MartyKnitsOn (Ravelry ID)

Kathy46 wrote
on Sep 30, 2008 11:48 AM

Re: Marty's comment on camera angles

I agree that the best camera angle would show the hands, needles and stitches being formed from the viewpoint of the person demonstrating, like standing behind that person and looking over their shoulder.  However, it would seem like the footage already shot could be salvaged by simply projecting the close-up hand shots UPSIDE DOWN.

If what is currently being broadcast in Akron, Ohio is considered the second season, I would say the problem has still NOT been fixed.(re: Luckyinkentucky Sept. 25 post)

socklady wrote
on Sep 28, 2008 6:30 PM

I live in North Bay, Ontario Canada....any chance of seeing Knitting Daily up this way??

20purls wrote
on Sep 28, 2008 12:42 AM

KRCB is not in San Francisco.  It's in Santa Rosa - north of SF and doesn't air in the East and South Bay markets. A better choice would be San Francisco's KQED -" Northern California's Primer Public Television" !

TAM wrote
on Sep 26, 2008 2:21 PM

This show isn't aired in my area.

I hope that Annie Modesitt credited Elizabeth Zimmermann with the skein winding technique.   EZ "unvented" this long ago.

JaimeG wrote
on Sep 25, 2008 6:05 PM

San Francisco's KRCB Channel 22 is airing the show on Tuesdays at 9:30 a.m. A typo kicked it off their website (and ours) momentarily, but all should be fine and you should be able to watch it during this regular time slot.

JaneM@2 wrote
on Sep 25, 2008 1:20 PM

Hello

Is it me or are most of the Knitting Daily posts now really just opportunities (plugs?) to buy something from Interweave?  It seems long ago when Sandi actually spent time writing her newsletter about knitting.  In this economic climate it would be refreshing not to be asked to buy something (from Interweave, no less) at the end of every post.  Is what I thought to be a genuine "for the knitter" discussion/blog a figment of my imagination or just a distant memory?  In any case, I'll turn to my local knitting friends for discussion and go to my LYS to buy stuff.

Thanks for listening.

Joyce Porter wrote
on Sep 25, 2008 12:46 PM

I wish the audio quality of the Knitting Daily TV DVD's were better.

JaimeG wrote
on Sep 25, 2008 5:30 AM

Hi everyone and thanks for the comments. I'm excited to say we were able to change the camera angles and show the work from the knitter's perspective for the second season. It really does make all the difference. Thanks to our executive producer Kathie Stull and all the camera crew for making it happen!

As for San Francisco, when I checked on Monday the premiere was airing on KRCB Channel 22 this Tuesday, 9/23 at 9:30 am Pacific, and was supposed to be airing every Tuesday at 9:30 am thereafter. I'm looking into why the program is not showing up on their schedule for 9/30 and 10/7 at the same time, and will get back to you. Thanks for alerting me to the problem.

bsteph wrote
on Sep 24, 2008 10:40 PM

There's no listing for the show in San Francisco. When will it begin?

StacyB wrote
on Sep 24, 2008 8:07 PM

I am so happy to find that Chicago now gets Knitting Daily TV.  As soon as I read the good news, I immediately set up my DVR to record every show. I can't wait to watch my first episode!

Stacy

StacyB wrote
on Sep 24, 2008 8:06 PM

Stacy

SaraT wrote
on Sep 24, 2008 7:37 PM

It really sucks that the show is filmed in Ohio but we do not have it here in the Columbus area

Sue

jan@3 wrote
on Sep 24, 2008 6:25 PM

Iwish your show was televised here in Australia

M.M wrote
on Sep 24, 2008 5:52 PM

To Knitting Daily:

I just left a comment about the "reversed" viewpoint, but I really wanted to say that otherwise this is an informative, entertaining, beautifully done production.  It is enjoyable to watch notwithstanding the stitch close-ups.

Marie

M.M wrote
on Sep 24, 2008 5:50 PM

To Marty:

I also left a comment on another thread regarding the viewpoint that is shown when doing the close-up of a knitting technique....very frustrating as I usually can't stand on my head that long.

Marie

LindaK@2 wrote
on Sep 24, 2008 4:07 PM

I miss Needle Arts with Shay Pendray.  I live in the Detroit area and hope your show comes to her home area soon.

Linda

EricaH wrote
on Sep 24, 2008 3:36 PM

Hi!

I live in LA and it's actually a PBS station in San Bernadino that carries the show - can't get it in West Hollywood.  Booo!  :(

However I thought I'd let you know that I wrote to all three local stations I do get yesterday and demanded my KTV!

e

Marty wrote
on Sep 24, 2008 2:55 PM

I debated for a ong time about bringing up this issue, but in the long run decided to do so, not to criticize, but to point out an overlooked flaw in an otherwise wonderful program.

I totally enjoy all the information on Knitting Daily, however, sadly, I am totally frustrated by trying to decypher the interesting techniques shown.

First, each segment seems to be cut off short, not allowing the viewer to see the entire technique.

Second, to be able to learn what is shown, an inexperienced knitter would have to view the segment standing on their head! The camera angle is awful from the front. When a person learns to knit, they sit BESIDE the instructor, not in FRONT of them. It's akin to teaching a child to tie their shoe laces. A person who is already familiar with the technique can tell how the stitch is being done, but if you are new to the particular stitch, or if you're not a continental knitter, it's actually discouraging to watch. It makes knitting seem so much more confusing than it actually is. The camera angle made me wonder if the director is a knitter and takes the instruction for granted or if they haven't a clue and so don't know that knitting must be taught from the 'private' side, not the 'public' side. Please use better camera angles for those knitters who are novices or for those who watch to truly learn how to broaden their skills.

Pinkngreen85 wrote
on Sep 24, 2008 2:44 PM

I am happy to read that you will be broadcating in San Francisco market.  However, it's not  on the current listing. What is the planned start date and which station?

LisaWhalen wrote
on Sep 24, 2008 2:30 PM

I would also love to see Knitting Daily on iTunes!  I bet a lot of people would purchase that way.

bjones10 wrote
on Sep 24, 2008 2:24 PM

Sandi -- your 9/24 email indicated that SF, CA was now a location that would be (is) airing knitting daily.  I checked your line-up page San Francisco is not listed as showing Knitting Daily.  I also searched the line ups posted on the web for all three (3) local PBS stations in hte SF bay area and got no listing for Knitting Daily

Can you tell me which station and when they started (or will be starting to show) Knitting Daily?

JaimeG wrote
on Sep 24, 2008 11:46 AM

You can download the knitting needle knitting bag pattern for free on Knitting Daily:

www.knittingdaily.com/.../knitting-needle-knitting-bag.aspx

LauraK wrote
on Sep 24, 2008 11:18 AM

I don't have access to the show, wish I did, but did I miss something?   Where did that BEAUTIFUL knitting needle bag come from?    I love it...maybe it is the beautiful colors it has been done it but id didn't catch my eye before now?   Could someone let me know where the pattern is from?

JulaneD wrote
on Sep 24, 2008 11:14 AM

I would love to see Knitting Daily TV for purchase on iTunes!

Crow wrote
on Sep 24, 2008 10:59 AM

DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHEN SEASON 2 WILL BE OUT ON DVD?   WHEN I'M NOT DRIVING OUR 18 WHEELER,  I LIVE 50 MILES FROM NOWHERE IN EAST TN, AND HAVE NO TV (NO SIGNAL -OH WELL!)  THANKS.

BRIGIT

on Sep 24, 2008 10:57 AM

Dear fellow knitters,

I sure wish I could share a favorite from your first season, but alas, you show does not air in San Diego.  I wish it did.

What information would I share with KPBS about your show that might convince them to air it on our local PBS station?

Sister Gloriamarie Amalfitano, the Knitternun