Getting to Know You: Knitting Daily Reader Survey

Sep 26, 2008

I am Knitting DailyI admit it: I'm curious. Who are you, you loyal folks who read Knitting Daily and leave comments and download patterns and chat on the forums? I mean, there are an awful lot of you: the main forum page tells us that there are more than 212,000 people signed up here!  Two hundred and twelve thousand. That's about three sports stadiums' full, right?

That's a lot of knitters. Let's see. What if each of you had only five skeins of yarn in your stash? That would be over a million skeins of yarn between us (and I don't know about you, but I have just a couple more than five skeins around the house. Just sayin'.) If everyone has made at least six scarves, that's 1.2 million scarves we've created. Stitch markers? Two dozen each means more than FIVE MILLION stitch markers in our pockets, sofa cushions, and empty mint tins.

This is one heck of a knitting party, people.

However, this is one party where I forgot to have everyone wear name tags. You all know who I am, but I am a little lost when it comes time to talk about you, your family, and your knitting.

Survey and pattern..whoo whoo!So how about this? The KD team has devised a little survey to help you tell us about you, your life, your interests, and your knitting. Would you mind filling it out for us? I'd really appreciate it if you would. Here it is: Knitting Daily Reader Survey.

And because I know your time is valuable, and that filling out surveys can be a pain, I've cooked up a thank-you present for you: When you are done filling out the survey, you will get a download link to a special free pattern as a little gift for your time and your energy.

Hm. Wait a minute...what if you're a busy stay-at-home dad and the baby's crying and you don't have time to fill out the survey? Or a nurse at work taking care of sick folk? Or someone with an expensive Internet connection? Seems unfair to limit the free pattern only to those who are able to fill out the survey. Knitting is for everyone, right? Then so is this free pattern: Download the Bobble Scarf by Ann Budd.

However, if you have time: Please check out the survey and tell me about yourselves. It's a big party, true; but I never feel as though I am writing to all 212,000 at once, you see. When I write these little posts, I imagine that five of you have come to visit me, and I write just for you five. But imagination is a tricky thing: It needs seeds of truth to make it come fully alive. Tell me who you are, what your knitting is like, and what brought you to Knitting Daily in the first place--and that way I can imagine you much more clearly when I write to you.

Besides: Isn't the best part of a party the chance to get to know your friends better? Yup.

Many thanks,

Sandi

Take the Knitting Daily Reader Survey

Comments

toni@3 wrote
on Oct 19, 2008 5:22 PM

I have a complaint that I cant seem to get anyone to address.  I have registered with knitting daily and knitting daily tv.  I can only get into knitting daily through my confirmation email.  I cant get into knitting daily tv to look through patterns. On both sites if I try to log in it tells me my credentials arent valid or my account has not been approved.  This has been going on over a month.  I would like to be able to get logged on to enjoy what others are seeing.  This is frustrating and I am just about to give up and not try at all.  I have sent emails to no avail and did the survey which changed nothing either. I am feeling that my voice doesnt matter to the powers that be on this site.

ElaineO wrote
on Sep 29, 2008 8:15 PM

I'm not able to answer the survey questions either.  There is nothing to click or mark for the answers I want.  Any ideas?

TammyT wrote
on Sep 29, 2008 7:36 AM

I'm a serious "hooker" too.  I crocheted long before I knitted but am primarily a knitter now.  There was a box on the survey where you could check about being a crocheter.  Try typing "crochet" into the search box above and you will see that our hooking needs have not been neglected on this website!

Betsy wrote
on Sep 28, 2008 7:59 PM

I second HeatherJ's comment.  I, also, finished the survey and had forgotten about the stitch of the day.  It was a great feature that I looked forward to reading.

kcrochet wrote
on Sep 28, 2008 1:16 PM

I filled out the survey and took every opportunity to say that I am primarily a crocheter!  Since Interweave now has IC magazine, I really feel that KD and KDTV need to support that by offering more crochet content.  IC is by far the best crochet magazine out there and I think the enthusiastic users of the magazine would love to find crochet on KD and KDTV.

Kym wrote
on Sep 28, 2008 10:15 AM

I did the survey. Hope it enter because I am knew at the computer. Pass 60 years old and trying to get modern more ways then ever. Great patterns, nice forum,   love the how to.  Get newsletter enoy coming back to Knitting Daily. Hope you do more on How to and Patterns. Thanks.   Kym C

Mary BE wrote
on Sep 27, 2008 2:43 PM

Thanks for doing this survey.  Will be interested to see the results.  My only frustration - the older I get, the less my true answers don't fit in to multiple choice answers listed.  I am turning into more a "in 25 words or less" type of responder.  Oh, and one addition to what I would like more of - tips about altering heavy winter patterns to lighter weight and/or non-wool yarns for those of us who live in the south who don't get much cold weather any more.  I keep falling in love with knitting patterns that are too heavy for my climate.  My own attempts have been less than successful.

KristiT wrote
on Sep 27, 2008 12:04 PM

I'm another one who's disappointed that you aren't interested in learning anything at all about your crocheting readers.

TessC wrote
on Sep 27, 2008 10:40 AM

I read your "knitting daily" every day, but I know nothing about knitting, so I couldn't take the survey. I wish there had been at least SOME questions about crocheting. Crocheters use yarn, too!  I love yarn and would like to see and read more about crocheting. I also love to embroider and embellish things with embroidery.

Tess

ktrippco wrote
on Sep 26, 2008 4:14 PM

I completed the survey and forgot to mention - earlier this week I saw a new book featured on KnittingDaily.com. The book is Blueprint Crochet by Robin Chachula and it looked very interesting. Last night I was at my favorite yarn store (Knit Knack in Old Arvada, CO) for a knitting session with my girlfriends. I saw a bunch of items displayed and commented that they looked like the items from the book. Geri, the owner, said they ARE the items and Robin will be at the store Saturday for a class and book signing :-) I won't be able to attend but was able to purchase the book as a Christmas gift for another fiber fiend and it will be signed. You've GOT to check out the book if you're interested in crochet - the items are just beautiful !

Becka wrote
on Sep 26, 2008 3:59 PM

Interesting survey - will you post some of the general results?  I am also interested in who gathers here.  New to your site and love it  - between the patterns and the people, it's a keeper

bsteph wrote
on Sep 26, 2008 2:46 PM

My survey was interrupted. If it didn't come through completed, I'm happy to re-enter the info. Nice scarf. Nice site. Nice craft.

DeborahS wrote
on Sep 26, 2008 2:04 PM

I just realized how little I have explored on this site!  I had a hunch people were talking to each other somewhere on here.  I read this at work, so I can't hang on the line too long without breaking to do a little work! - but I am definetly going to check out the Forum.  I may have to start doing this at home - but that would cut into my knitting time!

IngridS@2 wrote
on Sep 26, 2008 1:25 PM

:(  What about those of who can't knit to save our lives, but share the yarn bug through crochet??

Brooksette wrote
on Sep 26, 2008 12:07 PM

All I'm getting is "This page cannot be displayed"  ... computers are not my friend today.  :-(

HeatherJ@3 wrote
on Sep 26, 2008 9:28 AM

I just finished the survey - and forgot to add one thing.  I really liked the knit stich of the day, it seemed to fall off my or your radar.

julie@8 wrote
on Sep 26, 2008 9:13 AM

My computer skills can be lacking, but I am not able to fill out the survey....