A Very Special LYS Gallery

Sep 29, 2008

Chelsea and KimEvery one of you, it seems, loves the Galleries here on Knitting Daily, where some of us non-model types try on the sample garments from the magazine, take photos, and get a little running commentary on fit and flatter from yours truly. But even the best party can get dull if you just play the same old music over and over...so it was time to add a little spice, a little something new.

I have to say that this was Kim's idea. Kim Werker, editor of Interweave Crochet, is a force to be reckoned with--five minutes with her, and you are either busy thinking exciting new things about yarn, giggling hysterically, or both. (Usually both.) Kim was going to be the guest of honor at a launch party for the Fall 2008 issue of Interweave Crochet in Lansing, Michigan, at the huge and magical local yarn shop called Threadbear Fiber Arts Studio. She was bringing the sweaters and shawls and scarves (oh my!) from the magazine along to show them off, and to let people pet them and try them on...and that's when the lightbulb went off. She emailed me and asked if Bertha and I would like to come along to do a little on-site Gallery, with the good folk of Lansing as our models.

I think I said "YES!!" so fast that it broke all previous email internet speeds from here to British Columbia.

I drove from my new Canadian home to Lansing with Bertha buckled into the front seat, garnering very puzzled glances from the courteous Kevlar-clad folk who guard the border crossing. (Bertha is an excellent travelling companion, by the way; she lets me listen to my audiobook without asking "Are we there yet?" every ten minutes and never needs a bathroom break.) And on Saturday afternoon, more than forty knitters and crocheters gathered with Kim, the gracious staff of Threadbear, and myself, to celebrate the pretty possibilities of yarn and hook.

It was a total hoot. We tried things on, we ran around choosing yarns and colors of yarns, we gave each other advice and took photos and ate treats. And guess what? The kind and wonderful folks who tried on the garments have graciously allowed me to share photos of this Local Yarn Shop Gallery with you!

Note: While these garments are created with crochet stitches, the principles of fit and flatter are the same. The type of stitch isn't important; it's how you use the stitches that count!

Ready? Here we go!

View the LYS Knitting Daily Gallery, Part One:
Stepping Stones Cardigan by Kristin Omdahl
Dusk Sweater by Amy O'Neill Houck
Pretty Little Dolman by Annette Petavy
Lara's Dance Skirt by Doris Chan

Enjoy!
--Sandi

Learn how you, too, can look at a pattern and some photos and see what that pattern holds for you! Check back with us on Wednesday! I'll be walking you through my method (and madness) for looking at the fit possibilities of each garment, a.k.a. "How Does Sandi Come Up With All That Amazing Stuff In The Commentaries?" Plus, there will be more photos from our LYS Gallery: Spanish Moss Coat, Ridge Swing Cardigan, and more. Join us!

All these pretty garments are from the new Fall 2008 issue of Interweave Crochet--look for it at your local yarn shop, or buy a copy online from us.

(Try your local yarn shop first, though. That way, if you fall in love with one of the patterns in the magazine, you can shop for yarns right away...oh, sorry. Am I enabling you in your yarn habit? Um, yes. Guilty as charged. I love my job.

Purchase Interweave Crochet Fall 2008

Many thanks to Rob and Matt of Threadbear Fiber Arts Studio, for hosting this fun-and-fab event. Local yarn shops--and local yarn shop owners--rock.

Sandi Wiseheart is the editor of Knitting Daily.

What's on Sandi's needles? I'm working on a quick sock while I wait for the Camisa to dry...

Comments

Cavebear2 wrote
on Sep 30, 2008 9:28 PM

You've convinced me to make at least one of these and maybe even to finish my other crocheted projects.  Love the Dolman and Bertha, as usual, is just stunning!

Don't suppose you'd ever come to Australia to do one of these???

mona wrote
on Sep 30, 2008 3:23 PM

Sandi and Kim, Thank you so much for coming to Lansing. It was wonderful. You were both very encouraging to this new designer. Of course I subscribed to Interweave Crochet, i can hardly wait to tackle each of the designs. Again Thank you for having such wonderful creative and nurturing hearts. Mona in Lansing

DeirdreL wrote
on Sep 30, 2008 10:17 AM

The Autumn Interweave Crochet arrived in my mailbox yesterday, and I am thrilled with it! I think it's the best issue I've seen yet. Thanks.

Deirdre

LeslyeB wrote
on Sep 30, 2008 10:16 AM

In the survey, I forgot to mention that I make a lot of preemie hats, socks for children in orphanages in cold climates, and, most important, I am trying to start a group to distribute handmade scarves to abused women.  So far I have been teaching crocheting to an adult ESL class.  The women are making scarves as the community service part of their curriculum.  I hope to include local knit shops as sources of scarves and yarn as well as community colleges, ESL and adult ed classes as sources of scarves.  I will call my organization "Made with Love."

In any case, the survey didn't include anything about charity knitting and I think you should have included that area.

Thanks.

Leslye

RobinG wrote
on Sep 30, 2008 9:52 AM

Hey!!!  Love the Gallery idea of spicing things up.  That Dance Skirt looks great!!  I have a question on "one Piece" garments.  Do you have books on doing Sweaters, tops, etc. all in one piece?  Would love to see some of those options.

Thanks,

Robin

Hammond, IN

M.O wrote
on Sep 29, 2008 5:45 PM

WOW! Way to go IC!

I hang my head in dissappointment with the other Michiganders who missed out on this event -- I also live very close to Lansing and would have LOVED to have been there.

I don't think the comments by the knitter have been particularly bad. I think a lack of publicity about crochet (this gallery will go a long way towards fixing that) just causes knitters to be in the dark about how wonderful crochet really is.

To knitters -- the right yarn and a great pattern will give you such amazing crochet wearables. IC did another skirt pattern (Citrine Skirt) from Fall 2006. It was this skirt that made me pick up this magazine in the first place. I've bought every edition since.

I truly hope to see more IC galleries -- Thanks KD

Iriska wrote
on Sep 29, 2008 4:18 PM

Thank you!I am from Russia.And I found this forum! I am so happy!

I  hope -I will find  friends !

AlisonM wrote
on Sep 29, 2008 3:59 PM

Thankyou so much for finally giving us a crochet gallery!! I know a lot of crocheters have been waiting with bated breath for some crochet content here ;-) I wasn't able to get to the magazine launch @ Threadbear, so it's great to be able to see some of the fabulous crochet garments modelled on a range of people - there are so many talented crochet designers in the IC stable deserving of some public adoration here on KD. I hope we get to see the Northern Dreams pullover soon!!

RobM wrote
on Sep 29, 2008 2:32 PM

Thanks for coming to our shop and thank you both for the FUN time and for all of the great advice you so graciously provided.

However, Bertha's cousin is Belinda, if you remember correctly  (LOL)

What a great gallery so far--I cannot WAIT to see the remainder.  My Woodland Flowers shawl (cover project) is finished and I'm back to plugging away on the cardi!

LauriaK wrote
on Sep 29, 2008 2:22 PM

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!

I've been waiting to see an IC gallery for such a long time. This is the first time that I've been excited to open the kd newsletter in MONTHS!!!

Thanks! :)

TamaraB wrote
on Sep 29, 2008 2:20 PM

I loved the gallery of Interweave crochet!!!  I hope you do the northern dreams pullover