Video Tip: Learn How and Where to Measure

Oct 3, 2008

One of the most critical skills in learning how to knit for yourself is learning how to measure yourself. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, so today we have a little special treat: a clip from Knitting Daily TV showing Kim Werker demonstrating measuring techniques. This clip is from Episode 102: The Sweater, which is all about how to make the perfect sweater for yourself. (Find out where Knitting Daily TV is showing in your area, or purchase the entire first season on DVD online.)

We also have some online tutorials, some with photos, to help you out. Here are some links that you might want to take a look at:

Using The Clothes You Already Own To Find What Fits You

Measuring Tutorial With Photos

Understanding Those Pesky Measurements and The Schematic

About Measurements And Ease

Did you know? These links and more can be found in the How-To Section of Knitting Daily.

You people are amazing!
When I invited you to "write your own commentaries" for this week's LYS Galleries, I wasn't sure how it would turn out. Well, I needn't have worried--the commentaries you wrote were insightful, thoughtful, and detailed. I admit my first thought about halfway down the comments was, "Well, I guess they don't need me anymore!" Great job.

Quick answers to a couple of reader questions:

Could you make a sleeveless version of the Diamond Cabled Pullover? Hm. The armholes on this sweater are square, and are set deep into the body of the sweater (note the photo of Bertha). You'd have to do something to those armholes, especially in the front, otherwise a sleeveless version would be quite revealing.

Is there a knitted version of the Spanish Moss Coat? A knitted version of any crochet pattern is a horse of different color! Meaning: It would basically be an entirely new pattern. Sure, you could take the schematic (ahem!) and use those measurements to figure out knitted stitch and row counts of a given yarn at a given gauge. But there is no direct "translation" from one crochet stitch pattern to a knitted stitch pattern, and no easy way to "convert" a crochet pattern to a knitted one (or vice-versa). So, unfortunately, no, there is not a knitted version. (There's similar styles, like Katie Himmelberg's Hideout Coat, which you can buy in our pattern store, but even that one is not "the same"!)

Knit your heart out over the weekend, folks.

--Sandi

Free pattern!

Our featured free pattern this week is Lisa Myer's Leggings from Knit So Fine. And yes, these leggings have shaping! The shaping here is actually formed by the lovely traveling stitch pattern. Lisa is a guest on Episode 113: Oh-So-Fine of Knitting Daily TV, so check it out! (Look for Knit So Fine at your local yarn shop, or purchase it online.)

Wondering where the Knitting Daily TV show is being broadcast? Here's a searchable list of all the stations currently signed up to show KDTV. Can't wait to see the episodes? Buy a copy of the entire first season on DVD.

Sandi Wiseheart is the editor of Knitting Daily.

What's on Sandi's needles? Seaming, seaming. I am stitching up the Camisa, and weaving in the ends. And yes, even I have to rip out a seam a time or two until I am satisfied with the way it looks.

Comments

LoisP wrote
on Oct 4, 2008 9:32 PM

I was disappointed to see that your "Free pattern" was definitely NOT free.  I really like leggings and those looked particularly pretty.  But please don't say a pattern is "Free" when you don't really mean it.

on Oct 4, 2008 8:00 PM

Sandi Please remember that there is always some of us out here that DO NEED YOU. I am 61 yrs young and have been knitting and crocheting since my teens but I want you to know that I have learned a lot from your letters and you have given me the confidence to try some things that i would not before..THANKS MUCHES

Friday V.P.

MaryD@9 wrote
on Oct 4, 2008 12:18 AM

Hi! I've been drooling over Lisa Meyer's Leggings ever since they appeared in the spring issue of Knits. Coincidentally enough, I was just about to finally start making them this week. But here's my question: The gauge given in the online pattern is completely different than the one given in the magazine (for the same yarn). Which one is correct?!

Thanks!

PeggyH wrote
on Oct 3, 2008 1:50 PM

Maybe it's my PC setup, but that link to a video clip doesn't do anything but bring up text - no video.  BOO!

Tammie wrote
on Oct 3, 2008 10:41 AM

Barbara G, I also had trouble finding it, but if you click on "Lisa Meyer's Leggings" when the new window comes up scroll dow to the second episode shown and above the picture is an icon to download them.

Ellenstay wrote
on Oct 3, 2008 9:33 AM

Hi Sandy! I checked out the "Hideout Coat" in the pattern store, and it looks like it might be great, but I can't see the whole sweater, as the bottom is cropped. Is there any way to get alternate views of the finished sweaters in the store? Some of the photos don't even show the fronts of the sweaters, so it's really hard to know if it's something you want to make. Thanks so much!

BarbaraG@3 wrote
on Oct 3, 2008 9:28 AM

Hi,

I am interested in the free leggings pattern, but can't seem to figure out how to download it.  If anyone knows you can email me at bgiguere@admin.umass.edu.  Thanks

weises1 wrote
on Oct 3, 2008 9:26 AM

Hey Sandi,

I was like the person who asked for the coat in a knitting pattern.  I LOVED the diamond pullover but don't crochet :-/

Anything out there for knitting that is similar?

Sue

marlat wrote
on Oct 3, 2008 9:25 AM

I can't thank you enough for offering this information. No matter how many times it is presented, I still find that there is something else that I can do to ensure that the knitted item that I spend so much time to make will fit me as I imagine. Again, thanks.

JaimeG wrote
on Oct 3, 2008 9:23 AM

P.S. Here's the HTML should you want to embed this video into your blog or pass it on:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="www.youtube.com/.../4rl4jcGKd4E&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param">www.youtube.com/.../param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="www.youtube.com/.../4rl4jcGKd4E&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

JaimeG wrote
on Oct 3, 2008 9:22 AM

Hi all, If the video link from your email today isn't working (mine didn't b/c of my email filters), you can still watch this video on YouTube.com:

www.youtube.com/watch