LIVE from SOAR!

Oct 10, 2008

Ready for some Friday fun? Stefanie Berganini, assistant editor of Spin-Off magazine, sent us some video and photos live from SOAR, Interweave's Spin-Off Autumn Retreat.

Ever wonder what goes on at a fiber retreat? Stef's video "blogumentary" takes you into the classrooms to see the teachers in action; into the gathering rooms where participants from all over the world share what they are learning, and more!

SOAR is going on this weekend in the Poconos in Pennsylvania. Workshops and classes are full; but if you are in the area, you can attend the SOAR Market (Friday, Oct 10: 4 PM to 6 PM and 7 PM to 9 PM; Saturday, Oct 11: 10 AM to 5 PM), wander through the gallery of handmade items, and attend author book signings by such notables as Deb Menz, Judith MacKenzie McCuin, Maggie Casey, Vivian Hoxbro, and Stephanie Pearl-McPhee. (Get more information on Market hours and book signings.)

--Sandi

LIVE FROM SOAR!

by Stefanie Berganini

I started working at Interweave about 8 months ago as the Assistant Editor of Spin-Off magazine. Within a couple of weeks, however, my job had grown to encompass many other exciting projects, including working on several other magazines and helping to plan this year's Spin-Off Autumn Retreat (SOAR). I had never been to (or even heard of, to be honest) SOAR before, but working on it has been great, and being here as a member of the SOAR staff is even better. The SOAR participants are incredibly friendly and welcoming, the classes are amazing (I wish I could take one!), the fall weather is beautiful and the changing leaves are inspiring new creative ideas. I was asked to keep a video diary of my first time experience here to share with others who aren't quite sure what all this SOAR-mania is about. Here are some photos and videos of my experience over the first half of the week:

View the SOAR 2008 Photo Gallery!

FEATURED FREE PATTERN: Shadowy Vest by Marilyn Murphy

In honor of the beauty of yarn, and the fun you have with color and texture, today's featured free pattern is the Shadowy Vest from Knits Gifts 2008. This simple vest plays with a pretty yarn to create a casual, comfortable, wearable work of art. Be sure to take a look at the rest of the irresistible line-up of projects in our new holiday issue, Knits Gifts 2008, which you can buy online or directly from your local yarn shop.

Sandi Wiseheart is the editor of Knitting Daily.

What's on Sandi's needles? I finished a pair of socks last night. The shoulder seams on the Camisa need to be redone, and they are vexing me. I am stepping back to do some creative problem solving on this...

Comments

on Oct 15, 2008 3:05 PM

Hi all,

Stefanie (the one with the revolting lip ring) here! I didn't try to interview a lot of British people - I asked for volunteers to be interviewed, and then I used whatever clips fit well into the video. Maybe British people just like to be interviewed more than Americans? :) Although TerriB is right - I do love those accents!

Tutleymutley wrote
on Oct 14, 2008 7:04 AM

Thanks for the video - I want to go to SOAR so much.  But NOT next year - I've signed up for a cruise with Nancy Bush and Beth Brown-Reinsel in the Baltic instead, which is going to be fabulous I'm sure.

What I wanted to know was how come Stefanie interviewed proportionately more English folk than US (when I'm certain they were in the minority).  Did she like our accent? :-)

Hey you guys, we need a SOAR in the UK!

Terri

PS, I thought Stefanie's lip ring was cute.

Kat wrote
on Oct 13, 2008 12:12 PM

Hello!

If you click on the picture above of the video, it should start playing.

For folks that got to this via email. It does send you to this page, and the image above IS the video.

If for some reason you are unable to see the video on this page, then check out our channel on youtube at www.youtube.com/interweavevideos

The S

on Oct 13, 2008 11:37 AM

GREAT video!  I can almost plop myself into the conversations I heard in the background.  Won't miss this next one especially since it will be in OREGON!  Yahoo!     Thankx for sharing the video.

SusanR wrote
on Oct 12, 2008 7:54 AM

All righty, then.  In case anyone else is unable to get to the video from this site, go to YouTube and type in SOAR 2008.  Bob's yer uncle.

SusanR wrote
on Oct 12, 2008 6:18 AM

Chelseasmom2002 -- Me either.  Apparently some people can click the word "video" in the original e-mail and get a popup box with the video.  I just get thrown back to this page.  Sooooo  frusrating!

on Oct 12, 2008 6:11 AM

There's a video? I don't see a link anywhere -- even on the SOAR site. :o(

SusanR wrote
on Oct 12, 2008 3:43 AM

Well, I wish I had your problems, Rjray7.  For the life of me I can't see how to load the video.  The gallery of stills, yes, but I see no link to the video.  Help, anyone?

Rjray7 wrote
on Oct 11, 2008 7:55 PM

Maybe its just me being old-fashioned, but it was terribly distracting to try to watch the video of the girl with that thing on her lip.  Couldn't watch it--I had to stop--it was making me sick.  She may be a very nice girl, but that is just revolting to me.

gail@2 wrote
on Oct 10, 2008 4:52 PM

well, RATS!!!!  the video won't load.

jgoben wrote
on Oct 10, 2008 10:46 AM

Okay I have nothing to do with this business and I do mean nothing but stopping by to see the business.  The business is Stonehedge Farm and Fiber Mill  The yarn I bought is Shepherds Wool.  It could be the greatest feeling 100 % wool yarn I have ever used. Look up their site stonehedgefibermill.com.  The business is small the yarn unbelievable.  It is spun on site.

Again I have nothing to do with this business except I am a big fan.

Jerri Goben