Need A Laugh? Monday Sock Video Time!

Dec 15, 2008

Today, I've got a treat for you that ought to put a smile on your face and get your toes a-tappin'. Especially if your toes happen to be wearing handknitted socks...

I'm kind of hesitant to spoil the fun for you by telling you anything about today's video before you see it. Except that...it stars twenty-one pairs of gorgeous handknit socks, and it's not a how-to video, and it's not a technique video. It's All About The Socks. I think the plot involves a pool table, and some dancing, and an action shot in front of a karate school....or something like that. (I may have been laughing too hard to see clearly at that point.) It's about time some pretty handknit socks got a movie of their own, don't you think?

Anyway, just trust me on this one. Click the photo below to view the video, and then sit back and, well. Don't be drinking any hot liquids while you're watching it. (Don't say I didn't warn you.)

Having problems viewing this video? See it here!

-- Sandi

About The Stars of Our Show!

The stars of this movie are no ordinary socks, you understand. These are 21 pairs of handknit socks, each pair knit from handpainted yarns. These socks are new, never-before-seen sock designs, from nineteen designers like Veronik Avery, Lorna Miser, Chrissy Gardiner, Ann Budd, Nancy Bush, Patricia Gibson-Roberts, Charlene Schurch...you know. All the Sock Greats.

Where can you find these beautiful sock patterns? In our brand-new, just-out-today book Knitting Socks With Handpainted Yarn, by Carol Sulcoski. Not only are there patterns, there is also a ton of great information from Carol about how to make best use of all those gorgeous handpainted yarns we all drool over in the shops. She tells us what to look for in a yarn, and how to make sure you get pretty results and not weird results like pooling or strange stripes--in any kind of project, not just in knitted socks!

Check your local yarn shop to see if they have a copy you can get your hands on right away, or order a copy online from us.

Great Free Sock Pattern eBook:
Knitting Socks with Knitting Daily:
5 Free Sock Knitting Patterns

Need a new sock knitting pattern? Want a great free sock pattern?
I've chosen five of our top sock knitting downloads and put them all together in one FREE ebook for you.

So what kind of sock patterns are in this eBook? Let's see. There's a knitted lace sock pattern, a cabled sock pattern, a colorwork sock pattern, a men's sock pattern, and an easy beginner sock pattern. Something for everyone!

Download Knitting Socks with Knitting Daily: 5 Free Sock Knitting Patterns

Sandi Wiseheart is the editor of Knitting Daily.

What's on Sandi's needles this week? Still knitting away on the Leaf and Nupp Shawl from Knitted Lace of Estonia by Nancy Bush. 17 out of the 21 repeats I want for the center section are now completed; then I have the four-sided border to do. What do you think? Can I finish this scarf in time for Christmas? (My mom reads this. Everyone say "Yes, of course you can finish by Christmas!" very loudly.)

Comments

ChristineR wrote
on Dec 22, 2008 7:12 PM
Loved the entrance of the seduction socks. The rest were blurred. Love the daily email. Keep it up. ChristineR
LynneR wrote
on Dec 22, 2008 9:57 AM
I loved the vido. But the music made the dancing. Can you tell me what the music is and where I might find it? Thanks, Lynne
DianaB wrote
on Dec 22, 2008 9:26 AM
I just downloaded the free sock patterns! Is it possible to get a better picture of the Seduction Socks? I can't tell from any of the pictures what they look like. Thanks!
on Dec 21, 2008 6:12 PM
Thankyou so much for your website, I look forward to it everyday when I come home from work!!!! I an fairly new to knitting about 3yrs. and I always have a project going or 2 or 3!!!! I am truly addicted. Once again thankyou and MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL OF YOU!
Wiz wrote
on Dec 21, 2008 11:43 AM
Sandi, you Wicked Wench! 5 free sock patterns?! You are seriously contributing to my WIP collection, but Bless You for doing so. I have just the yarn...
CarleneH wrote
on Dec 20, 2008 5:52 AM
Cute video. I'm ready to start socks now. Have fretted over them for years, but learned to use 2 pair of circular needles while doing caps and hats for Christmas. On to the socks!!!!!!! Thanks
SandiB wrote
on Dec 19, 2008 7:58 PM
I absolutely LOVE the 5 sock patterns. ABSOLUTELY LOVE THEM ALL... I am a sock knitter and am always looking for something new and fresh. Thank you for sharing.
ChristineL wrote
on Dec 19, 2008 4:53 PM
Brilliant!!!!!! Can you market every new book like this? :)
Gail wrote
on Dec 19, 2008 3:14 PM
Thank you very much for the free sock patterns! Such a nice thoughtful gift for your subscribers. Happy Holidays, GRV
DremaO wrote
on Dec 19, 2008 2:45 PM
I just love the free sock patterns. Thank you so much. I really enjoy reading you news letter. Drema
tbm0 wrote
on Dec 19, 2008 2:13 PM
Thanks for not forgetting us beginners. I can drool and dream over the other patterns but it is great to get a pattern that I actually think is within my capacity to finish without using an excess of foul language.
SaraT wrote
on Dec 19, 2008 1:44 PM
Thanks for all the sock patterns. Merry Christmas to us! And also to you and yours. Love the magazine and the Knitting Daily blog.
knittynora wrote
on Dec 19, 2008 12:27 PM
Having just become a sockaholic. I thank you very much for the 5 sock e-patterns book. What a lovely treat. Thanks again. Now if there was only 54 hours in a day I might just get some finished.
WillaB wrote
on Dec 19, 2008 12:18 PM
Sandi - Thank you sooooooo much for the sock patterns. I just decided I wanted to try a pair of socks and last evening started one from the pattern on the ball band. Kind of boring, but at least I'll find out if the sizing is right for me! Now I have some that are more fun to look forward to for my next ones. Good time to knit - we're in the middle of our first blizzard Have a wonderful Christmas and a very Happy 2009! Cheers, Willa B
Fliss wrote
on Dec 19, 2008 10:12 AM
OMG this is a creeping contagion. I just downloaded the sock patterns - I'm tempted to knit them - this can't be happening to me - must be midnight, the witching hour - don't say I'm going to turn into ........ (gasp) a sock knitter ...... aaaaaagh
TiferetV wrote
on Dec 19, 2008 10:07 AM
Thank you, Sandi, and all the Elves that have made this year such a fun one for me. Receiving Knitting Daily always makes my day a little brighter and I have learned so much about knitting from you all. The free sock pattern gift is just what I needed as I am in the Artic Storm for what seems like forever right now, housebound, and needing a bit of holiday cheer to boost my morale. At least I'm warm and have lots of yarn! Thanks again for all you do for the knitting community. I look forward to seeing you tall gh the New Year. Hugs around.
DianeL wrote
on Dec 19, 2008 9:43 AM
Thank you sooo much for the free sock patterns!! I just received a big box of yarn yesterday in the mail and now I know what I'll be doing this holiday season--I can't wait!! Diane L
NancyH@3 wrote
on Dec 19, 2008 9:07 AM
Thank you Sandi! Have a merry one! Nancy
SharonQ wrote
on Dec 19, 2008 7:58 AM
Thank you so much for the free sock patterns!!! You made my whole day!!!
LolaH wrote
on Dec 19, 2008 7:42 AM
Sandi: Thank you! I am so grateful for the free sock patterns. How gracious of you. It was an extremely plleasant surprise. Lola H.
on Dec 19, 2008 6:24 AM
The sock video was lots of fun. Even my non-knitting work mates laughed. And as for the free sock patterns..... couldn't have come at a better time. Thank you! A huge snow storm has just blown in. Maybe I can stay inside for the next few days, and just knit socks. I certainly have the stash for it! 8^)
IreneM wrote
on Dec 18, 2008 7:34 AM
I agree with roxie f and grammy c. I thought it was very cute and would make anyone want to see the book. Sandi - the photo of you in the hot pink top is very nice!! Irene M.
rkseau wrote
on Dec 17, 2008 2:06 PM
I thought the video was cute and imaginative advertising, I smiled the whole way thru. Those who thought it was blurry, it wasnt the video but your computers. I have started to knit socks, but no one in my family wants to wear them.......but ill keep knitting them, i just love it, but i need to get enthusiasm in creating the 2nd sock, i have an abundance of one socks.Merry Christmas all and happy knitting
Vis_Major wrote
on Dec 16, 2008 3:14 PM
I lost it at the moonwalk section! What a clever & fun way to showcase the socks in the new book; I already wanted to get it, but now there's no way I'll be able to resist. :)
carmel71 wrote
on Dec 16, 2008 2:49 PM
A puppy in the socks would have been fun,too. I giggled anyway. It made me want to buy the book! I have fun making socks so much that I don't worry about much else. Thanks for the great video!
carmel71 wrote
on Dec 16, 2008 2:34 PM
That was a great video! I've done a few of those things myself. And, I've made the socks!!! My socks are durable.
CherylJ@2 wrote
on Dec 16, 2008 1:59 PM
Iagree with someone that said. If you can't say something good don't say nothing it at all. I thought it was cute, fun , and a change of pace. I am in the process of kniting a christmas stocking and having fun creating a patern don't have to do another one, so I am safe.lol And Sandy I know you can get that shaw done. If I can get all the projects I have been working on done. We just keep on knitting and hope for the best . That is all we can do. Good Luck. Merry Christmas to you and all the staff. I love your column. Cheryl
MelissaH wrote
on Dec 16, 2008 1:27 PM
Cute video! That's my next goal in my "learning to knit" endeavors...to make socks. I am waiting until after the holidays to sit down and get serious. Those beautiful socks just kicked that desire to learn to knit socks up a notch or two or three!
KnitChaos wrote
on Dec 16, 2008 10:41 AM
OMG that was a hoot! I will admit when I first read the headline in the e-mail, I read it as Monkey Sock Video...which translated in my head as Sock Monkey... Weird. LOL Thanks for the grin, nonetheless!
Tutleymutley wrote
on Dec 16, 2008 9:59 AM
Brilliant idea: I loved your video - can I embed it on my blog? good on yer ta very much.
WendyW wrote
on Dec 16, 2008 9:01 AM
Hey, I recognize the view of the Karate place. My fiance used to live in the building the socks were in! Ooh, now I know where somebody from Interweave lives. Or at least what apartment complex. :-) Cute, fun video. Thanks!
ShawnaT wrote
on Dec 16, 2008 8:53 AM
Hi Sandy I read your site everyday and am always inspired, I found this on U-tube thought you would like it. Shawna www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6ZjMWLqJvM
LindaT@5 wrote
on Dec 16, 2008 8:25 AM
"Clever" is the word that comes to mind......this made my day! I could've used a pair of those socks last night in these 9 degree temperatures - I think I'll start making a pair today!
Rita@2 wrote
on Dec 16, 2008 7:41 AM
Cute, I still have not gotten the hang of sock knitting, I have tried the double points, no luck, now attempting the circular needle method, but I keep getting lost as to where I am and my knitting is very, very tight, which makes it even harder. I usually knit without problems on other projects. But I am going to keep trying till I have a pair of socks.
RobertaV wrote
on Dec 16, 2008 7:10 AM
LOL... first comment from my children? "Does this mean I can jump on your bed if I'm wearing knitted socks???"
on Dec 16, 2008 6:05 AM
Very creative advertising. Loved it!!
Robert wrote
on Dec 16, 2008 5:54 AM
I needed this, this morning... Thank you so much! )O( Robert
StaceyS wrote
on Dec 16, 2008 5:41 AM
Thank you For the cute video, you just made my day, now I'm going to purchase that book .
DebiO wrote
on Dec 16, 2008 4:55 AM
Thank you, I loved it!! I want to work with you all.
MildredR wrote
on Dec 16, 2008 4:51 AM
Now those are happy feet!
terry wrote
on Dec 16, 2008 3:56 AM
great video great music really great socks
Fliss wrote
on Dec 16, 2008 3:33 AM
Well I always suspected that you fanatical sock knitters were stark raving bonkers and I now I know I'm right! Mind you, some of them were so pretty, I was almost tempted to try a sock for the first time. ALMOST .........
IsabellaH wrote
on Dec 16, 2008 2:30 AM
Very cute, though frankly you'd be better off spending the time sorting out your international subscriptions department before wasting valuable paid working hours doing this sort of thing.
on Dec 16, 2008 12:20 AM
I couldn't really see the sock patterns; not sure if it's my monitor or the resolution of the video, but it was too pixelly for me to really see any detail. I did recognize some Footloose dancing feet scenes. I'll have to check the book out on Ravelry, but I'll probably buy it after the holidays.
Bbright wrote
on Dec 15, 2008 10:59 PM
Just what I needed at midnight when I'm still knitting on socks for all my grandchildren - delightful video
knitngrammy wrote
on Dec 15, 2008 10:55 PM
pardon my candor--many of these commenters don't care a hoot about socks or humor---too busy with throwing wet blankets on EVERYTHING. if you didn't get a laugh out of why can't you just move on to the next thing? i get tired of looking at the negative comments on here. maybe something some of our mothers taught us--- "if you don't have something good to say. . . . . " This is a great daily connect with other knitters and Sandy doesn't deserve the comments from those who are always seem to only have something negative to say.
DawnJ wrote
on Dec 15, 2008 10:45 PM
You ladies at Interweave are nuts ... where do I send my resume?? I NEED this book.
Monica wrote
on Dec 15, 2008 9:35 PM
Look like cute patterns. The models certainly had fun. I couldn't help thinking though... add a cheesy pR0n soundtrack and you have yourself a fetish film... I'm terrible. I know.
AnnaH wrote
on Dec 15, 2008 9:35 PM
Thanks for the video, I laughed a little. I feel a bit better after having a tooth pulled today. Now I want to go out and get some of that yarn and make some socks. Thanks Sandi, you made my day!
DianeD wrote
on Dec 15, 2008 9:08 PM
that was a hoot and a holler !!!! you guys are something else - Thanks Sandi - that was the best ad for a sock book I've ever seen. What fun. Keep up the good work. Di
Jajigirl wrote
on Dec 15, 2008 7:42 PM
Cute video. Yes, Sandi will make it! All knitters have flying hands in December!
JacquelineS wrote
on Dec 15, 2008 7:35 PM
Sandi, I enjoyed it without the laughter. My funny bone must be turned off! Thanks for posting the video. What a great way to display sox! Dancing sox are much better than empty lifeless ones. Thanks!
MaryF@2 wrote
on Dec 15, 2008 7:07 PM
Well, not so funny. Some of the socks were a bit ugly, but some seemed to be nice. Maybe some stop-action animation would have been better?
Gauss wrote
on Dec 15, 2008 6:58 PM
This really isn't that funny - and it's just a glorified ad for the book.
Vydellia wrote
on Dec 15, 2008 6:49 PM
Fabulous! Although the socks dancing in water did make me cringe a little (all I could think was 'Ack, they're going to felt!'). I can't wait to check out the book. Thanks for the fun video :)
Kym wrote
on Dec 15, 2008 6:33 PM
got a good laugh for the day on dancing sock video. I guess I am going to check out the book and going to make a pair for the fun of it. Keep up the good things that knitting daily does. I so enjoy the e-mail news and the patterns. Thanks for the wonderful things you and the stuff do for us . Kym
RoxieF wrote
on Dec 15, 2008 6:30 PM
What a bunch of party-poopers - it's not a how-to video with clear, detailed close-ups so you can knit them without buying the book; it's not a Hollywood blockbuster; just a cute, creative, fun video to tell people about a new sock pattern book! I liked it.
on Dec 15, 2008 5:17 PM
It looks like an insider's joke and everyone is on the outside.
kathy c wrote
on Dec 15, 2008 5:04 PM
not funny
CathyAnn wrote
on Dec 15, 2008 4:47 PM
I don't get it.
JosephineS wrote
on Dec 15, 2008 4:33 PM
Funny? Missed the point.
Donnasueg wrote
on Dec 15, 2008 4:31 PM
Bravo
BethanyH wrote
on Dec 15, 2008 4:19 PM
I guess it must be funnier in person? *shrugs* still mildly amusing for sure.
CindyB@3 wrote
on Dec 15, 2008 4:07 PM
Too cool ... I'm inspired to learn how to knit socks. Thank you :-)
Kristi S wrote
on Dec 15, 2008 4:05 PM
LuckyinKY - I actually contributed three patterns to the book, not the two you stated in your correction.
GeorginaBowL wrote
on Dec 15, 2008 3:39 PM
Cutest book commercial you have ever had!! Georgina (designer of Mystery Stole 4 "Serendipity")
LakayaP wrote
on Dec 15, 2008 3:12 PM
now THAT was funny! I haven't knit a pair of socks in a couple of months as I was working on a jacket, but now i am gonna have to make some just so I can jump around in them lke the video. hahaha have a wonderful day and keep up the good work.
Joan@2 wrote
on Dec 15, 2008 3:06 PM
I love the socks, will have to order the book!!
JoanS@4 wrote
on Dec 15, 2008 2:37 PM
I guess you had to know the socks.
littlelena wrote
on Dec 15, 2008 2:36 PM
I guess some people are easily amused. What I could see of the socks looked like they could be nice. I do want to check out this book from some pics I've seen on Ravelry.
JaimeG wrote
on Dec 15, 2008 2:33 PM
It was definitely funnier when the music was the real "Footloose" and we re-wrote the lyrics to make the song "Knitters Go Footloose"... the 80s vibe was perfect. But, eh, there's this thing called copyright... So we hope you enjoy the honkey-tonk version with our generic, royalty-free music :-) Here's the hi-res version should you not be able to sock details here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzxfPL2hHV4
NancyE wrote
on Dec 15, 2008 2:31 PM
Not very funny, but I'll look at the book once I see it in stores. You really couldn't see the socks clearly in the video.
RuthW@3 wrote
on Dec 15, 2008 2:31 PM
Loved the video, loved the socks, love the music. I must know instantly what the music is so I can get it for my husband for Christmas! He'll be getting the book for me whether he knows it or not. RuthW
Silverfox wrote
on Dec 15, 2008 2:22 PM
Um... I almost don't wonder if it wasn't funnier for those viewing the filming (and the antics of the actors ;)
SandraK wrote
on Dec 15, 2008 2:18 PM
That was the Sock Scootin' Boogie. And they were all pairs! How do you do that? I mean finish that second sock?? I was actually hoping for some with puppies in them or Christmas ones! Cheers Sandy Klass'n
SueS@6 wrote
on Dec 15, 2008 2:18 PM
You made my afternoon! Very fun video.. and could be called "Happy Feet"..
CarolS@2 wrote
on Dec 15, 2008 2:15 PM
I dunno....didn't do much for me, but I'm an old grouch.
KateG wrote
on Dec 15, 2008 2:13 PM
Okay, who on the staff did the moonwalk? Brilliant (and the sex scene steamed up my monitor)!
meezermeowmy wrote
on Dec 15, 2008 2:13 PM
Ouch! As a sock knitter, I couldn't enjoy the video. All I could think of was the abrasion wear all those beautiful socks were taking! I never go around in socks only, so my socks will last. So far, I'm up to 7 years on some pairs.
BonnieE wrote
on Dec 15, 2008 2:06 PM
I wish the video quality was better. The socks were all a blur.
SandyJager wrote
on Dec 15, 2008 2:01 PM
What a hoot! I loved it....I simply have to get my hands (feet?) on this book!
LynneD wrote
on Dec 15, 2008 1:56 PM
I Laughed and laughed, the dancing was pure Fred and Ginger what a fun time from knitting the socks to making the video Love it thanks for laugh and fun today Lynne
KellyA wrote
on Dec 15, 2008 1:54 PM
This was definitely one of your BEST emails in a long time. LOL. Makes me want to go out and grab the book RIGHT NOW (and I don't even love making sox.)
JaimeG wrote
on Dec 15, 2008 1:46 PM
Oops... quick correction. There are 21 sock patterns in the book, by 19 different designers (18 + the author)! Lorna Miser and Kristi Schueler each contribute 2 sock patterns -- you go girls.
madnitter wrote
on Dec 15, 2008 1:46 PM
Loved the vid. I was picking up gusset stitches and nearly dropped a few. Love making socks from hand painted yarns.